Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Dodge Ram

Comments

• barbarajobarbarajo Member Posts: 27
    I've been using carsatcost.com to compare prices. As of yesterday (maybe a little earlier), they have the option prices listed in their calculations.
  • madmackmadmack Member Posts: 39
    Believe it or not.....they (carprices.com) only had the update up for a short time .....then they put the old prices back-up?
    I'm looking at the off-road package for a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab. I noticed that you get four LT275/70/R17 tires to ride on, but the spare is a P265/75/R16. With the height of the LT275 tire being 32.2", and the spare being 31.6", will this cause any problems while driving with the spare on? Based upon Kcram's post (#94), with anti-lock brakes on the rear-end, having mis-matched tire sizes can cause problems with the ABS control.

It makes me think the truck come with a little warning sticker on it that reads -

"WARNING: Any flat tires you have must occur within the front two tires. In the rare event a rear tire loses pressure, you must first move one of the front tires to the rear, then install the spare on the front wheel, in order to prevent ABS malfunction."

;o) Any thoughts?
    I'm looking at the off-road package for a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab. I noticed that you get four LT275/70/R17 tires to ride on, but the spare is a P265/75/R16. With the height of the LT275 tire being 32.2", and the spare being 31.6", will this cause any problems while driving with the spare on? Based upon Kcram's post (#94), with anti-lock brakes on the rear-end, having mis-matched tire sizes can cause problems with the ABS control.

It makes me think the truck come with a little warning sticker on it that reads -

"WARNING: Any flat tires you have must occur within the front two tires. In the rare event a rear tire loses pressure, you must first move one of the front tires to the rear, then install the spare on the front wheel, in order to prevent ABS malfunction."

;o) Any thoughts?
  • mictromictro Member Posts: 29
    biknmike-

I strongly suggest that you talk with your dealer soon. I have talked with several dealers and all have told me that the SLT+ decor group is included with the SLT+ Quick order package.

I do not know why they have a price listed for the decor group of $1,777 ($2090 MSRP) but it should be included. Check out the carsatcost.com website. Very slick. You check all of the options you desire at it calculates the price for you. I checked both the SLT+ Quick order package and the SLT+ Decor group and it only adds the charges for the quick order package. This website gets their information from chromedata. This is the same source that the dealers get their information from.

Let me know if you find anything to the contrary.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Barbarajo,

more importnat than the static height of a tire is its rolling radius (this takes into account the bulge of compression at the bootm). The two tires involved (275/70R17 and 265/75R16) have rolling radiuses of 15.68 and 15.44 inches respectively - for brief use as a spare, this is insignificant and will not affect the ABS or limited slip functions.

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
    sorry about the typos in that last post...

kcram
  • biknmikebiknmike Member Posts: 27
    MICTRO,
    Thanks for the info. I put a call in to my dealer but he is off today. This is driving me nuts.
    Mike
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    Thanks for the great information. In order not to violate copyright regulations, in the future could you please just post a link to that kind of important info?

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
  • deanjohdeanjoh Member Posts: 11
    Hello all! Just a quick question for you. I ordered my Truck back in July and the dealer called to tell me that it will be built 9/10. Here is my question... I ordered a 1500 QC with the 26G package and added everything (well almost). When looking at the 26H package it would seem I could save a large amount of money if I had ordered it that way. My dealer never informed me of the "H" package. I recieved the pricing info from www.carsatprice.com (a site I saw from this board). When I originally ordered the truck my dealer asked if I wanted the "SLT Plus" I said yes, but the breakdown of the order shows the G package with everything else seperate. The "H" package has EVERYTHING I ordered with the "G" package. Any suggestions on how to clear this up? My dealer seems clueless when I mention the "H" package... would calling Customer Service at DC help? Thanks in advance!
  • madmackmadmack Member Posts: 39
    Deanjoh.....
    There are differences in the H and G packages. With the information out right now It is cheaper to order the G and add everything to it. The H package has different leather seating (dual power & heated). if your truck isn't being built until 9/10 you should have no problem changing your order....
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    Does anyone know for sure if the snowplow prep package is available with the V10? All info I find says the 360 is required (including the 2000 pricing listed at carsatcost.com). My 2K is ordered with it and its status is D1. I would assume that means it has passed thru the computer ok with no option conflicts but I want to be sure. Anyone out there own a V10 with the snowplow package?
  • cromcrom Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if they have started printing the books with all the features for the 2000 rams that the dealers always have? Mopar accesories also. and if so how to order them?
    jerry,

There are quite a few rumored featurea for the Ram redesign in the fall of 2001 - the most likely is 4 wheel disc brakes. There are a lot more people than Dodge thinks out here who really want a Ram Crew Cab, so I for one hope they make one, because I will be there to buy one.

As for the Big Red Truck, expect the next Ram to look more like the Power Wagon than the "medium-duty" styling of the BRT.

kcram
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    jerrytheking:

Dodge does make a medium duty truck. Unfortunately, it's made in Mexico, for the Mexican market only. It's called the Ram 6500. Kcram e-mailed me pictures of it some time ago.

Bob
    Jerry,

I have a bunch of sources - some you believe, some you don't, and I try to relay the most likely information.

If you remember the Little Red Truck concept from 1991, then you'll know that it looks EXACTLY like the current production Ram. The BRT was strictly a styling exercise to shgowcase the then-new 24 valve Cummins. The Power Wagon, by the way, is running a Cat 3126, not a Mercedes diesel. Dodge has no plans to use anythng but the Cummins B5.9 in production trucks - don't forget, it's already downgraded for use in the Ram!

As for the truck pull and your bro's Cummins, It wasn't really the engine - it's the rest of the drivetrain. You can turn up the wick all you want, but if the power is getting eaten byu the torque converter and the automatic, you're wasting the fuel. He would have done much better with a manual trans (a direct connection) or if he had installed a modified automatic with a manual locking TC.

kcram
  • johnnyrjohnnyr Member Posts: 4
    In regard to rear end bouncing up and down at 40-45 mph, I have a 98 2500 that did same thing. Tracked problem to marginally out of round stock Good Year RTS tires. Had them rotated(indexed) on rims and rebalanced and this helped immeasurably. But I won't have another set of Goodyears. Apparently their definition of round is different than Websters or mine.
  • pacman4pacman4 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 99 or 00 Ram 2500 SB with Cummins diesel. There are (if you believe it) four other of my neighbors up and down the street I live on with Dodge Rams 2500's and 3500's and the one with the newest truck is getting 20 city and 29 highway. The city mileage I could believe but I dont know about the Highway. Obviously it would be unloaded. Can anyone tell what they are getting out of their 99's with Auto.

Thanks
  • dhd79413dhd79413 Member Posts: 8
    Packman4:
    I have had four Cummins equipped Pickups in the last ten years, all have been 5 speed 4X4's.
    I carry a heavy ATV and about 1000# of land surveying stuff all the time with about 90% highway driving and get an overall 16-17 mpg with a normal 32K miles/year.
    I normally can work them hard for three years and 100K with nothing more than one set of tires and one set of front brake pads.
    By Far the best work truck I've ever had in the last 25 years of Land Surveying.
    Good Luck with yours, (mine have run like a Timex)
  • pacman4pacman4 Member Posts: 2
    to dhd79413
    The reason I am considering the dodge IS the diesel. During the last twenty years have owned two pickups, Toyota 4x4 and currently a Chevy extented cab with 190k miles on it. It seems I buy a new truck every ten years whether I need to or not. My job does not really require a truck but past interests and my background do. I like old tractors so the Dodge seems the way to go. The new GMC's I REALLY like, but after driving the Dodge ... the engine really gets it.

Thanks
  • littledakotalittledakota Member Posts: 5
    i am getting a 2000 RAM 2500 HD w/cummins diesel.
    Should i get the 4/10 gear ratio of the 3/54 i think that is what it is but may be wrong. What are pro's and cans of each one and overall which is better. It will be extended cab if that mateers with 8 ft bed.
  • brett039brett039 Member Posts: 56
    pacman4,

I have a 99 2500 QC 4x4 w/cummins, auto, 3:54LS, 245/75 tires. Just got back from towing thru the mountains of KY with a 6500# trailer. Averaged 13.6 mpg which was 75% interstate driving (70-75mph) and 25% state route driving (55-65mph). But keep in mind it only has 2200 miles on it and I'm told my mileage will increase when it gets "broke in". Last check with city mileage was 16-17 mpg.

I'm very satisfied with the truck, but wish the auto trans had another gear between O/D and 3rd. I towed in O/D almost the whole way and didn't let the trans downshift on the long uphill grades until I hit 50mph. I was hoping it could maintain 70mph up the steep KY grades in O/D, but it couldn't. It would slowly loose speed until I crested the hill. Wish I had the 4:10 diff now like kcram suggest.

Brett
    kcram,

I have a 2K V10 4x4 auto on order with the snowplow prep package. The info I've seen at carsatcost.com and in the 99 Dodge brochure suggest that you must have the 360 to order this package. I called D/C and verified that my order does list the snowplow prep. Order status is D1 with est. ship of 9/14 (revised from 8/24). Can I feel confident that my order has passed the necessary editing for option conflicts or am I in for a surprise?
  • skippy470skippy470 Member Posts: 5
    Kcram-
    I have a 1998 ram 1500 4 X 4 sport with the 5.9 liter 360. I currently have 11,700 miles on it and I was wondering if I should get a full inspection check up on it at 12,000 miles. I know you recommended it for the cummins engine. Do you recommended it also on the 360 5.9L ?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.

Skippy
    kcram,

Thanks for the info. That's a relief. BTW I agree 100% - get the strongest front end you can whether you're going to plow or not. Besides for what you pay they're practically giving it away!
  • mitmawymitmawy Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if or when Dodge is going to update the ram pick-up. Also is there any changes planned for the cummins.thanks
    mitmawy,

The new body is due in the fall of 2001 as a 2002 model. An updated Cummins is due this fall for the 6 speed manual, and a completely revised Cummins will be introduced for the 2003 Ram. Hope that helps!

kcram
  • mictromictro Member Posts: 29
    kcram-

Just wondering, does the Snow Plow Prep group affect the way the truck handles? Any input on this would be appreciated.

I was already planning on ordering the HD transfer case, which costs $85. The Snow Plow prep group Costs $157 with a savings group of $72. If I'm doing the math correctly, it would not cost me any extra money to order this option, yes?

Thanks in advance,
    mictro
    mictro,

You're correct - for all intents and purposes, the Snow Plow package is free. But since it requires the trailer package anyway, it's probably not much more for them to toss in the HD front springs.

kcram
  • ericgericg Member Posts: 38
    kcram

I ordered a 2000 dodge ram 1500 quad on the tenth of august i have been calling the Daimler 800 number to check up on the status. One the 13th they said it was at gateline status. It hasn't changed since then. They did tell me that the approx. build date was the 7th of sept. how long will it be before i can take delivery with these dates in mind? it is being built it St Louis, Missouri and I live in Maine. The dealer said i should get it around the 15th of sept. the daimler rep said three weeks after it is built. do these numbers sound right to you?

Just in case anyone wanted to know these are the specs:
    5.9L v8 sport quad 26G package trailer tow 4wheel antilock travel conv hd service cd player SOLAR YELLOW!!!

All this at just $500 over invoice, let me know what you think.
    Eric G.
    Eric,

Good deal for a new-model-year rig. I would say 2 weeks is about right. All the manufacturers are attempting to speed up factory-to-dealer time. One week, as your dealer has stated, seems a little quick. By comparison, my truck took 4 weeks from Lago Alberto (just outside Mexico City) to New Jersey back in 1996.

kcram
    The Dodge website has been updated for the 2000 models. For Ram info, click here: 2000 Dodge Ram

Please note that there are a few bits of incorrect info (minor details that have been changed for 2000). They're correct in some places, and old 1999 info in others, so be careful.

kcram
    I noticed the update to the Dodge site yesterday. A note to those with Internet Explorer, version 5... expect your browser to stop responding somewhere along the line if you try to price a vehicle.

Netscape works fine, as well as IE v4.x. I've reported it to their webmaster.

They're also missing Y2K options like the Off-road package, as kcram mentioned.
  • sakosako Member Posts: 25
    kcram--i've got a 99 2500 24v cummins qc long bed w/33x12.50x16.5 tires & rims on this thing and i'm gettin between 10-12mpg mixed city(most) 'n freeway. i don't know what the diffs are-3.54 or 4.10-is there anyway to tell by looking at the stamps on the diff housing? what would be my true ratio w/ these tires for either. if i have 4.10 diffs does this mileage sound correct? the truck has 9k miles on it. i'm leasiing it & it had 6k on it when i got it and the paper work doesn't tell me what diff's the truck came with. i live in san francisco 'n we got hills in this city so it's pretty much alot of stop 'n go driving until i get to the freeway to check out my jobs. should i go for the tsb-i've talked to two dealers here 'n one never heard of the tsb's 'n the other one said if i didn't receive something in the mail not to worry about it. what da think. thanks for any info you can send my way. eatin' diesel
    sako,

This is from my fellow diesel junkie, Joe Donnelly:

"On my 95 and 97 2500s, the diff tags are about 5" long, made of aluminum and go between two cover bolts. The top 8 digit number is the axle assy part number. Under that number is the ratio on the left, and then the "bill of materials" number that is used as an identifier to order parts from Dana, etc."

If you do indeed have the 4.10, your mileage is about right. You might want to make sure you keep to a lower gear to keep the rpms higher (around 1500-1600 rpm is the optimum efficiency speed for the Cummins 5.9).

As for your true ratio, If you have a 3.54, it's actually a 3.27, and a 4.10 would really be 3.79.
    If you do have the 4.10, your tires are way too tall for the gears, and you will suffer a lot of performance problems.

Both dealers you spoke to are wrong about TSBs. They are not sent to the owners because they are not recalls. Every dealer is supplied with every TSB. Technical service bulletins are diagnosis-and-repair notices for frequent problems of a given model or system in a model, but are not deemed to be safety-related. If neither are willing to examine ytour truck for possible TSB symptoms, find a new dealer.

kcram
  • gbrumleygbrumley Member Posts: 4
    I think I read earlier somewhere that the Patriot Blue is not available with the Sport package, and noticed that you can't "build" that combo off the DC Web pageCan this combo be special ordered? If not, why?
    gbrum,

If you really want a Sport in Patriot Blue, ask your dealer for option codes P98 and AP9 (Production Paint in Non-Standard Usage and Special Paint Procedure, respectively) - it will cost you $494 MSRP.

kcram
  • captrccaptrc Member Posts: 11
    hey guys need some help finally after a month of shopping for someone to give me a price i ordered my 2500 quad cab v 10 4x4 with everything dodge could throw at me. msrp was 33560 and invoice was 27925 including destination dealer agreed to 150 over invoice no mention as to advertising chg yet but i feal uneasy about the order thinking that i am not going to get everything i ordered. Salesman ordered G pkg and then ordered everything extra on top of that. Anti spin diff camper pkg fog lamps keyless entry leather interior grp security alarm trailer tow snow plow prep rear slider lt265 tires on off rd storage rear underseat convenience grp light grp radio am fm w/ cd cassette and equalizer. now here is my main concern, I ordered the audio control on the steering wheel code is RDZ but this did not show up on the computer order and the salesman said it spit it out because it is already part of one of the pkgs how can i be sure of this .HELP!
    The leather package is really the new H package (aka SLT Plus), and yes, it does include the steering wheel controls for the stereo.

kcram
    charlie,

stop by your dealer and inquire about two TSBs (Techical Service Bulletins): 18-11-99 and 18-02-99. The first will reprogram the Cummins computer for proper settings; the second will reprogram the Mopar computer for the transmission setings. Many who have had these TSBs performed have reported improved power and economy.

auctioneer,

You haven't had that truck very long, I see. I have a 96, same configuration, and I can't get it to 190 degrees, although I don't tow. A couple of questions and points to check:

- do you feel a loss of power when climbing a hill, towing or not? If so, your turbocharger made be causing the heat buildup. If the previous owner let some oil coke in the bearings, you won't get the boost you need, and the engine will work harder, causing some heat.

- even if it's not plugged, have the radiator pulled anyway to check for restrictions, bent fins and tubing, as well as pinhole leaks.

- check the cat-con. A plugged converter will cause enough backpressure and heat to cause a rise in temperature. This will occur after too many cold-start/immediate-use runs by the previous owner who may have treated it like a gasoline engine.

diver,

You want to check Wheels.com and click on Industry News. You then click on the most recent month, and scroll through to see which options are on hold.

kcram
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I want to buy a 2000 garnet red 3500 Ram diesel 6spd but after looking at the 2000 brochure it mentioned an all new cummins diesel (late availability).Does anybody know the specs of this new cummins ? What is the mileage difference between the 3:55 vs. 4:10 . What would be a fair price to pay over invoice. Thanks
    wwhite,

The revised Cummins will have power output of 245 hp/505 lb-ft, over the current 235/460. It should be available by January.

The 3.54 normally gains about 1-2 mpg over the 4.10, but since the tires are larger for 2000, the 3.54 may be a little too tall for most usage.

I paid 3% over invoice for my 3500 in 1996. It was $1000 over invoice, but $3600 under sticker at the time. It was the price offered by the dealer when I presented my specs, and it was a good deal to me. You make feel differently.

kcram
  • billlangfittbilllangfitt Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of ordering a 2000 Ram. I plan to tow a Fifth Wheel. Should I include the towing package if I am going to have a FW hitch installed.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Thanks for the info kcram! Do you know if the ETH engine consists of the Cummins uprate computer that the guys on TNN Shadetree mechanic installed on a 5pd ETC or are there internal changes? The Cummins uprate computer brought the ETC torque to 500 ftlbs.What is the torque capacity of the new 6spd manual? There are motorhome chassis out there with Allison 4 0r 6spd automatics that use the 5.9 with considerably more horsepower and torque.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Kcram,

I am buying a new ram 4x4 cummins quad cab sport, this week, it's a black one with every option except leather and cd. It has the travel conveince pkg, and I was wondering do you have to have the leather pkg, to get the wood trim dash?, if not what pkg,? I haven't seen the truck in person yet but going in a couple of days to make the deal, it's going to be $38000, cdn, brand new, is this a good deal or can I get it for lower?
    billangfitt,

YES - you do need the trailer towing package. You will certainly need the extra components like the wiring harness, the rear stabilizer bar and auxiliary springs, the heavy duty flashers, etc., even if you nebver actuially use the rear hitch.

wwhite,

Cummins has not revealed what the changes are yet, although reprogramming is part of it. I would also expect some injector changes. As for the NVG5600 manual, it is a MUCH beefier trans. I weighs almost twice as much as the 4500HD (360 pounds over 200 lbs), and is rated at 550 lb-ft of torque. Dodge had planned on using the new Allison 1000 5-speead utomatic with the ETH, but the deal was scrubbed two months ago, and the automatic will maintain the detuned ETC. They do plan on making a Mopar HD 4-speed automatic with the 2002 Ram redesign that should at least match the Ford 4R100 they use with the Powerstroke.

dodgeram,

Yes, the woodgrain does come with the Leather package (for 2000, called SLT Plus), but you can buy the trim pieces from the parts department and apply them yourself. They are adhesive-backed woodgrain veneer.

The CDN$1.00 is about US$0.67 today, according to CNN; that would give an equivalent price of about US$25,500. That is a great price, and you should not hesitate to make the deal.

kcram
  • johnc12johnc12 Member Posts: 8
    kcram
    I have a 1998 1/2 Ram diesel with auto and 4.10 gears . I pull in the hills some and iam worried about pulling in O/D ?
    Some say dont ! I down shift out of O/D alot but dont like to stay there if i dont have to .
    Also , what kind of service schedule for auto and
    here is a tuff one . How long will my auto mistake last before O/H ?
    They were only talking about these other trannys when i bought mine . Guess i will hold out for 6 speed and disc brakes !!
  • captrccaptrc Member Posts: 11
    Hey kcram just ordered my piece last Wed thinking about changing from standard alum rims to the chrome rims can this be done after the order has been placed without throwing a monkey wrench in the system.
  • aerorat44aerorat44 Member Posts: 2
    captrc,
    Read about the deal you got on your truck ($150 over invoice). Was that in California by any chance and if so, what dealership? I'm still shopping around at this point and still looking for the easiest place to make the best deal.
    Mark
    johnc,

YOu should be doing full trans service every 12K with your workload. Following regular maintenance should keep your trans happy well past 100K. As long as you're on flat stretches for long periods of time with no intention of passing anyone, OD woon't be a problem. But in the hills, definitely stay in 3rd.

captrc,

If you want a wheel change, do it now, but don't continually waffle. The chromed stell rims were known to be out of round in a much higher than acceptable percentage a couple of years ago, and personally, I would stick with the aluminum wheels unless you have some dead-set hatred for them.

kcram
This discussion has been closed.