Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Dodge Ram

Comments

• biknmikebiknmike Member Posts: 27
    wwhite2 & rwv,
    I was to impatient to wait for the ETH so I went ahead and ordered since I am not planning on towing anything extremely heavy. Hope you guys get yours soon after ordering. My order went in 8/23 and one DC rep said last week that it would only be on restriction for another 10 days or so. I hope he is right but I get the feeling they really have no idea since I get a different response everytime I call.
    Anyway, good luck with yours.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I posted this in tbe Dodge Ram II topic but will also post here for more exposure. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I am still trying to resolve a "klunk" in my steering system on my 99 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad. The
    dealer has replaced the steering shaft and this
    does not seem to help. The dealer also tells me
    the front steering linkage (track bar & tie rod??)
    is supposed to rotate/twist to some degree to
    minimize wear. I can crawl underneath the truck
    and twist the tie rod??? When I do this, I hear a
    noticeable "klunk" in the tie rod ends. Is this
    noise normal? I don't like the thought of metal on metal. Things wear out too quickly in this
    situation. A recent article in Popular Mechanics
    downgraded the Ram because of this same problem.
    My 97 did not exhibit this behavior, and as far as
    I know the 99 has the same front end. If anyone
    out there has had this problem, and has been able
    to find a solution, please let me know. Thanks. David.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    A clunk within a steering system would send up a red flag in any auto/truck. Keep after Dodge to repair that problem . KCRAM may have lots of info available to help you with your problem. Tell us how you make out. I want to order a 3500 ram in Jan
  • barbarajobarbarajo Member Posts: 27
    The off-road group (code AWL) includes the 4.10 sure-grip axle, "Off-road" badge, fog lamps, HD service group, fuel tank skid plate, LT275/70r17 on/off road tires, tow hooks, 17" aluminum wheels. It requires the SLT package (2_G), and you can't get it with the anti-lock brake package (BGK).

I ordered my 2000 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.9 liter engine, the off-road package and just about everything else I could get on it, except the leather seats on September 7th. The order is at status code BX (passed edit, available for scheduling). The dealer says I should have a production date by the end of this week.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    my end of Jersey took a serious rear-kicking from Floyd, so please give me a day or so to read through the posts for those who had questions for me. Thanks!

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
  • gbrumleygbrumley Member Posts: 4
    Barbarajo,

Thanks for the info. Guess my next question to you or kcram would be what is the price of this package? Do any of the online websites list this option? I haven't found it yet anywhere, and when I mentioned it to a dealer here in St.Louis they were dumbfounded. Any idea which wheels come with that package? Also, you mentioned it REQUIRED the SLT Package (2_G), any reason that you know of why you couldn't order it with the SLT Plus package? Because of the 4-wheel Anti-lock included in the package I assume?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just wanting to make the right decision before I drop that kind of cash. Wanting to purchase a 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 SB Cummins, Patriot Blue with SLT Plus AND Off-Road if I can get it that way.
    It doesn't look like the off-road group is available on the 2500.

Looking at the 1500 prices, the cost of the off-road group is $1,483.00 invoice and $1,745.00 retail. I ordered my truck through http://www.carsatcost.com, which has this package listed. As the name suggests, I was able to get the truck at invoice, with no haggling. Of course, you do have to pay their "service fee", which is $399 now (it was $299 when I ordered my truck).

My thought on the SLTplus package is along the same lines as your theory... the SLTplus package comes with 4-wheel ABS, and you can't have it with the AWL package. As soon as kcram bails out Jersey, he could probably confirm it for you.

I don't know what the wheels will look like ... kinda wish I did, now that you mentioned it. Maybe I'll take some pictures and post them on my web site when I get my truck in!
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Whats the buzz on GM's Duramax 6600 diesel? It's supposedly available with an Allison 5speed automatic trans or a ZF six speed ? How will this compare to the Cummins ETH
  • dano143dano143 Member Posts: 1
    the dodge dealer in our area (north central oregon) says that the quads are in warehouses and will not be released yet because there is a flaw in the frame. has anyone else heard about this??
  • deanjohdeanjoh Member Posts: 11
    OK... perhaps I'm being a little impatient but HOW long does it take for a truck to arrive if it's assembled in Mexico? I was able to track my truck from Mexico to Illinois using the links on dodgeram.com. It arrived in St. Louis Friday morning, but now how long??? I live in KC and it's been 11 days since it shipped. I'm just impatient because it's been about 9 weeks since I actually placed the order. Ughhh... anyone know of a realistic shipping time or when I should expect my truck?

Thanks,
    John
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    deanjoh,

I know how you feel. My V10 left Fenton, MO on the 14th and as of this morning its only in Cleveland. At this rate it ought to take another 2 weeks to get to Massachusetts!
  • ericgericg Member Posts: 38
    I placed my order on 8/10 and it was invoiced and shipped on 9/8. i will be getting my truck today. i can't wait. mine was built in St. Louis and it was shipped to Maine
  • ursleursle Member Posts: 6
    My dealer cashed my deposite on 9-1-99 and hasen't got a vin # or any info for me about it's condition other then code BG, I'm a little ancy for info on it's whereabouts, I've asked for the factory order number and he says there isn't one.He gave me a van number? Any one know what info I can ask him for to get updated, I feel like I'm getting the run around.
  • ursleursle Member Posts: 6
    My error, I meant von and hit van, anyway I called the 800# got connected, got a vin# a build date and am all set, I appreciate it.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Need to find pictures of a ram in patriot blue on the net besides 4adodge.com(too small)? The 2000 model catalogues aren't out yet, and I want to know what they look like in this color so if I don't like it I can still change it!!!
  • greatzotgreatzot Member Posts: 11
    I would like more information about the Cummins ETH. Haven't ordered yet but soon!
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I see comments on this list about the Diesel and the auto transmission that indicate the Diesel has too much torque for it. That towing must be done in 3rd gear. But the V10 is rated as more horse power and torque than the diesel with the auto through the entire rpm range of 800 to 3000 rpm. Shouldn't the v10 create the same problems for the automatic? But I have not seen any comments that the V10 should tow in 3rd. The V10 with 4.10 rearend and the LT265 tires should be running about 2800 rpm in third at 65 mph. That should put it at about 440+ foot pound of torque. Am I right in this? I don't think it should slow down much on hills. I'm expecting this to be a real puller. I'm currently towing a 5th wheel in third at about 2500 rpm with no problems other than under powered. . .... Rich
  • musketmusket Member Posts: 2
    kcram, Just ordered a 2000 Ram long box,qc.auto,diesel, with the 410 gears. I haul auto parts dailey ,about 5-6 hundred pounds.I also pull a 25foot 5th wheel,along with an 18ft boat.Should the gear ratio be ok for hauling parts during the week and pulling the camper and boat on weekends. thanks Tim
  • musketmusket Member Posts: 2
    kcram, A good mechanic friend of mine said to go with the 3.54 gears. He said going down the highway without the trailer you will be around 1500 rpms, which in that rpm range the diesel would be most efficent,and then when pulling the trailer and boat to pull with out OD. I ordered the truck tues. with 410's, I don't know if I can change the order to 354's or stay with the 410's.I have read the earlier posts on this subject and am still confused. I was also wondering what kind of fuel difference there would be between the two. I asked my dealer and he has not received the 2000 mileage charts yet.. thanks
  • brett039brett039 Member Posts: 56
    musket,

I have basically the same truck that you ordered, but with the 3:54 diff. and 245/75 tires (you will probably have 265/75's). The 265 tires will drop your rpm's roughly 50-75. I would definitely stay with the 4:10 diff. I am "tac"ing around 1850 rpm's @ 65 mph in O/D. With the 4:10, you should be "tac"ing around 2100 rpm's (if you had 245/75 tires). Has for towing with the O/D off... forget it! You won't be able to with the current auto trans. With my truck, if I turn O/D off and try to run at interstate speeds, the cummins is "tac"ing around 2650 rpm's @ 65mph. The cummins HP and torque drop dramatically between 2700 and 3200 rpm's (3200 is the engines red line). Most people don't realize that diesel's have a smaller useable rpm range than gas engines. Running a gas engine @ 2650 rpm's, the engine seems to hum right along, but a diesel is right on the peak of it's power curve and getting close to the red line. With the 4:10 diff., there's no way you will be able to tow with the O/D off! You will be "tac"ing @ 3050!!!

My advice to you...

Stay with the 4:10 and tow IN O/D (more power than 3:54 diff). Being careful not to let the trans hunt in and out of 3rd gear a lot on the hills. Remember to take VERY good care of your auto trans by servicing it every 10-12K miles.
    ---OR---
    Get the 6-speed manual trans.

When Dodge finally decides to "mate" an appropriate auto trans with the cummins, I'll be first in line to trade my new 1999 truck in on one! Until then... I'll just have to keep making the payments.
    Has anyone installed a transmission Temp gauge? I am thinking of doing this to monitor what I am doing to my transmission. What brand and where did you get yours? What temp should it run? How does it install? Is there a plug on the transmision to remove for installation? I am guessing to monitor temperatures solo and try to stay near that while towing. ..... Rich
    I hear alot about the auto trans not good for towing, but what about plowing snow? I just ordered a qc 4x4 diesel 2000 model, it has the 265 series tires, and was wondering will I have any problems plowing with this truck with the automatic?
    Rich,

You're correct that the V10 is rated higher, but as you note, the rpms are also much higher in the V10 than in the Cummins. At 2800 rpm, the automatic is getting much higher fluid flow, and unlike the Cummins, the V10 torque is a peak, not a plateau. The Cummins is producing a steady 420 lb-ft from 1600 all the way to 2700 in its detuned form. The manual-trans version is producing 460 over that entire stretch, and the ETH-code will rise to 505 at 1600 and gradually lower to 480 at 2700 - way too high for the Mopar automatic to handle at rpms that low.

musket,

The advice for the 3.54 is only good through 1999 and here's why (actually a very simple reason): the tires for 2000 are larger. Ram 2500s now offer 265/75s over the standard 245/75s, and the 3500s cpom,e standard with 235/85s over the previous 215/85s. With the 265/75s or 235/85s, the 4.10 becomes the equivalent of a 3.75 (3.73 is the more common axle ratio) with the smaller tires. Similarly, with the larger tires, a 3.54 will drop to an equivalent 3.24, which would keep the Cummins way below its rpm range on the highway.

kcram
    dodgeram,

Did you order the snow plow prep package? Dodge is uprating the front axle from 4850 to 5200 pounds just for this combination (diesel/Quad Cab/automatic), but a date for ordering that package was not released, last time I checked.

kcram
    How well do the new 24 valve cummins start in cold weather? They come with a engine block heater, how cold does it need to be before folks plug that in?
  • kbutcher1kbutcher1 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone have any experience with the Hitco Exhaust Manifold blankets sold by Gene's Auto (Turbo Diesel Register)? I am considering the purchase and wonder if others are happy with the product.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith
    I agree the Diesel/auto runs 420 ft pounds of torque, but the Dodge supplied charts shows the V10 as 440 ft pounds minimum from 1500 to over 3000 with a peak of 450. But if I read you right, by running about 2800 in 3rd with the 4.10 rearend and LT265 tires the fluid will be flowing through the trans cooler faster. Now the diesel could do the same except it would be near to its red line. So the problem isn't so much the torque as keeping the trans cool? Again it would seem important with either the diesel or V10 to have a trans temp gauge to monitor whats going on. ..... Comments? ..... Anxiously waiting delivery. .. Rich
    Make that Geno's Garage.

sorry bout that!
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    I have cousin that works for Cummins, he said " you should not need to use the block heater until it get 0 or below". If not then you have a problem.

Eric16
    Rich,

Yes, you read me right. The 47RE can handle 450 lb-ft of torque but not steadily. Thus while the V10 only hits that figure for a single point higher in the rpm range, the Cummins would kill it in no time punching 450 lb-ft through almost its entire operating range. All Cummins-equipped trucks do come with a trans-overheat warning light in the "diesel message center", right alongside the "Water In Fuel" light.

To the truck's credit, the Cummins has the same radiator withg the Cummins as the V10 even though it only has 75% the displacement. I have yet to see my truck reach 190 degrees in terms of coolant, and with the trans cooler infront of that 700-square-inch radiator, my trans has been just fine as well.

kcram
    I see your reference again that the Cummings has more torque with the auto than than the V10. But the charts in the brochere clearly state the opposite. Are the charts wrong? I have seen the same chart in the brochere, on the Dodge web site and Fritz's Ram tech. What am I missing? The v10 is shown as 400 ft pounds at about 800 rpm, 440 at about 1500 and it stays above 440 until about 3500 rpm. The diesel does not hit 400 until about 1300 rpm and after about 1500 until 3000+ never matches the torque of the V10 with a peak of only 420. I'm not trying to bash the Diesel as I'm trying to understand why you keep saying the diesel puts more torque to the transmission. It seems to me what you mentioned earlier about the narrower torque band of the diesel it must run at a lower RPM, Thus does not move as much cooling fluid through the transmission, not that it has more torque which it doesn't unless Dodge has lied to me. ....... Rich
    Rich,

remember one thing about torque charts - they're statistics, and numbers will do anything you want them to :) Numerically, yes, at a given rpm, the V10 may be higher. But think about your right foot and the throttle response of the truck. When you hit the go pedal in a gasoline engine, it happily revs right up to about 3000-4000 in a couple of seconds. The diesel, however, is much slower and stays in that high-torque/low-rpm area MUCH longer. This is why Allison is so successful. They primarily market their automatics for diesel applications; at one point, GM merged Detroit Diesel and Allison as the same division. The GM Duramax diesel will only use the Allison 1000, not anything from Hydramatic as the current 6.5L does (4L80E). Had Dodge also gone with the Allison 1000, you'd see the new ETH-code Cummins offered with both 6-speed stick and Allison automatic. In fact, Cummins recently introduced a version of the ISB engine specifically for the Allison 1000 - rated at 550 lb-ft, the tranny's torque rating.

kcram
    Well what ever the torque curves, I hope I'll be happy with my new truck. Ordered it a little over a weekago. But it should have plenty of excess power. My 5th wheel only weights 9000 loaded and I expect the V10, auto with 4.10 rear end and LT 265 tires to handle it with ease. Its a 4x4 with the SLT Plus package. But we may buy a bigger unit this coming year. So I wanted to get as much capacity as I could. I had a chance to drive a Ford diesel with the six speed and it was great. But my wife shares driving and she gave up the stick shift when I sold my GTO. I can imagine how much fun the Cummins must be with the six speed. But I think I'll be happy with the V10. It should have alot more power than what I have now. Biggest problem is getting my garage door raised(g). My son & law is a carpenter and will help me. Need to be all set for about 6 to 10 more weeks. ........ Rich
    Rich,

Good luck with yor new rig. The V10 will definitely handle the load, and your wife should have no trouble driving it. My 5'3" sister has no trouble driving my 3500 Club.

jcmdie,

Some fifthe wheels will be okay with a shortbed, but you need to check with the fifth wheel manufacturers as for which of their models will do so.

Note to all:

After today, I'll be on vacation for two weeks and will be back on Monday October 11th. Those of you waiting for ordered trucks, hope they come in soon, and enjoy!

kcram
  • dcarpenterdcarpenter Member Posts: 26
    I have appreciated all of your advice. I am strongly considering a 2000, 4X4, single-cab, Cummins with the engine upgrade and the new 6 spd. manual transmission. I would like your opinion again regarding the differentials. With the 245 tires I would have opted for the 3.55 with no hesitation. I am not planning on doing much pulling. I will pull a smaller travel trailer occasionally, or perhaps a cab-over camper. I will travel in the mountains. What I understand you to say is that the 3.54 or 3.55 will be too high with the 265 tires to be most efficient. Do I understand you correctly, or will the high spd. differentials work for me since I will not be pulling? Information like this is obviously invaluable before ordering.

Also, to anyone who might have input; I live in central Texas. The Cummins diesel trucks sold her are all assembled in Mexico. Has anyone heard any comparisons regarding these trucks as opposed to those assembled in the U.S.?

I would really appreciate any input on the above.

Thanks,
    David
  • goldrushgoldrush Member Posts: 20
    I have a 99 SLT QC 6 spd cummins 4x. My truck was made in Mexico in May. So far...I have 8k miles on it and have had 0 problems :)

I average 16.2 to 19.5 depending on driving and towing. I don't think Mexico vs US made makes a difference. Good luck with your truck!
  • dcarpenterdcarpenter Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the quick response. It sounds like you are getting excellent mileage for a new truck. Which rear-end do you have?

Also, how do you like the 6 spd. transmission?
    Hey there was a nice article in the Detroit Free Press last thursday that spoke to the issue of the new direct injected diesels. It suggested that Cummins will have their new direct injected engine out shortly. I have a VW Jetta TDI that is incredible with fuel economy averaging 50 mpg. The new 24 valve Cummins is a short step away from this sort of revolutionary change. Does anyone know when we can expect to see these engines. If we buy now we may be stuck with out dated technology. Does anyone know when we should expect the cummins TDI?
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 36
    Everyone keeps saying with the bigger tires 4.10 is better (close to what the 3.54 was with smaller tires). I keep thinking that with the 6 speed transmission you can use the 3.54 yet, and just use all the gears. I don't mind shifting 5 times instead of 4 (though at least on the Ford 6 speed lo to first is a strange shift), and I figgure that if I need more power I just go to the lower gear, which gives me just slightly greater RPM then the 4.10 in the higher gear.

Am I wrong somehow? I don't do much towing, (nothing a small truck can't handle anyway) except for a couple times so needing to go slower those few times won't be a big deal. When unloaded I'd like the littel extra efficiancy of the 3.54s.

I'd go with the VW for the 50 mpg, but those just can't take the roads I drive. I need ground clearance. (4 wheel drive would be nice too) Besides cars are uncomfortable, I'm still sore from the weekend's road trip in my sister's Neon.
    I am towing a 5th wheel now with a shortbed and the Dodge I have on order is a shortbed. My 5th wheel has whats called an extended box. The king pin extends out in front of the fifthwheel so that the 5th wheel won't hit the cab on sharp turns. But make sure the 5th wheel you are interested in comes with this extended hitch as I understand they are expensive to switch later. Also there is an expensive hitch you can buy thats 5 times the price of an ordinary hitch. It moves rearward on sharp turns and when you straiten up it moves foreward to 2 inches in front of the rear axle which is ideal weight distribution. .... Rich
  • daluebedaluebe Member Posts: 4
    I just ordered a 1500 quad cab 4x4 with a long box (lwb) - I am wondering if the off road package is also available for this or only the short box. - Do you know if the order can be updated if it is available?? (the order was placed on 9/24) -- Also is there a reason why my dealer had no idea (mention of this package) Since he knew I was "loading up" the truck?? Thanks in advanced - Dan
    I looked up your 1500 QC 4x4 on www.carsatcost.com - They show that the off-road package is not available with the long bed.
  • daluebedaluebe Member Posts: 4
    For those who ordered the security alarm option
    on their trucks:

Is this alarm the same as the "EVS Security
    System" listed in the Mopar Accessories catalog?
    Specifically, does it come with all the features
    listed there - starter interrupt, valet, panic
    button, dashboard warning light, etc.?

I ordered a 1500 QC SLT with keyless, PDL, PW and
    the alarm etc etc. Am I getting the features
    listed in the catalog as EVS?
    Kcram,

About the 2000 diesel 4x4 qc we just ordered, will it have the heavyduty transfer case? We did not get the snowplow prep pkg. Becasue I don't think the standard duty tranfer case will hold up to to many years of plowing!!

Up here in canda the brochure does not have a heavy duty tranfer case as an option, but it does state the plow prep pkg, but doesn't say whats included in that pkg. We figured since it's the diesel, we be getting the heavier duty transfercase.
    When do the 2000 model brochures come out for the ram?
  • ram4x4ram4x4 Member Posts: 24
    dodgeram,
    The brochures have been out for atleast three weeks. When I picked mine up, the dealer hadn't had time to unpack them yet so they were still in the boxes that they were shipped in. I'm still waiting for the Mopar accessories catalogue to come in...as of two days ago the dealer was saying they were due in any day now. Knowing my local dealer, that could be three months from now :)
  • brett039brett039 Member Posts: 56
    To DodgeRam,

The "Shift-on-the-Fly" transfer case (Code DHG) is the heavy duty transfer case. All transfer cases are Shift-on-the-Fly, but this option will give you the heavy duty version which can handle more torque. It also includes the Power Takeoff
    on the Transfer Case (Just part of it, not an extra option for the case). I don't know if it's part of the Snow Plow pkg, but I would hope so. Look and see if you can NOT order option DHG with the Snow Plow option. That would indicate to me it was included or not.
    I just recently looked at a new 2000 Ram with the Cummins and the valve cover on the engine was sporting a new paint job. Black and silver instead of the red and silver on the 1998-99s.

It looked sharp!

Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any other changes to the engine ? Aesthetics or otherwise?
  • atcscatcsc Member Posts: 11
    I have a '97 1/2 ton club cab short bed 360. We pull a 28' 5th wheel with no slides. Pulls it just fine. But most of our driving is down south in relatively flat land. I did put a set of thoes bellow air shocks under the rear end to get rid of the sagging. Have a regular reese hitch. Camper does have the extended neck. misses the back window by an inch or two.
  • atcscatcsc Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone bought a truck through carsatcost? Are they a good way to go? Are they reliable? Do they use a dealership of would I be dealing directly with them? Any good info would be great.
This discussion has been closed.