Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vibration 40-65 mph Trailblazer 03, Not the SPRINGS! already replaced

aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I was just wondering if 2003 Trailblazer ownwers with the straight 6 have had the same problem I have encountered, because my dealer has not figured out what is wrong yet! Vibration 1500-2200 rpms 40ish-65ish mph, THMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM THMMMMMMMMMMMMMM THMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Check the usual suspects first; driveshaft bent, dented or out of balance, front and rear u-joint angles not matched, driveshaft yokes out of phase.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Hey do you work for ALCAN? Just curious?
    Nope, just Al from Canada. LOL
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    i had mine replaced really i did not hear the sound. um did you get it fixed??? plus mine is a 03. i do know what you r talking about. the tsb that went about coil springs??? by the way what does coil springs do anyway???????
    I noticed since the outside temp has gotten above32 to around 40, I don't feel the vibration, but when the temp was 0-20 I felt it, its still there. Coil springs are part of the suspension, anyway, the vibration is from the transmission, thru the drive shaft, into the rear-end! I have a copy of the service bulletin, yep, I have an 03 also
  • mfoster58mfoster58 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone got a resolution to the Trailblazer vibration at 40-65mph????
    Nothin yet
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Tell your dealer to check out this TSB.
    It can give the same symptoms as a shudder at those speeds you speak of.
    It was only released a few weeks ago, so they may not know of it.

Transmission Slipping or Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Inoperative with No SES Light Displayed and No DTC P1870 (Reprogram PCM and Diagnose Vehicle Using P1870 Diagnostic Table) #03-07-30-001 - (01/17/2003)
    It does feel like it could be the torque converter? Where did you get this info? When its cold out it does feel like it is slipping? below 30 degrees.
    Stands for The Service Bullitin? Curious?
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    outlines a vibration at 30-50 mph where the torque converter isn't locking up correctly since it's right in that range of an upshift between 3rd and overdrive.

Many GM vehicles, and some DaimlerChrysler vehicles, have shown this trait. Just because there is a TSB out on it, though, doesn't give the manufacturer a "get out of jail free" card - your vehicle may still have the problem, while others don't, making yours worth less to potential appraisers.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    That bulletin was released on GM's information system a few weeks ago. Unless a dealer tech is looking specifically for it, they may not find or see it. I have access to GM's service information, along with many other information systems. One of the perks of dealing with 800 mechanics. LOL!
  • rorodadrorodad Member Posts: 13
    i also have gas petal vibrations from 25-40mph right out of the showroom. brought it in today to dealer. they have a bulletin on "vibrations" it tells them to REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT. dealer ordered part.will advise if this is the solution to our problem.has anyone with similar problem had it resolved? if so, what did the dealer actually do? please advise. the vibrations drive me crazy and i am constantly aware of this while i drive.thanks!
    Thats a new one I'll tell ya tomorrow, I'm bringing mine back 3rd time!
    hi, just a quick update. front driveshaft( i'm told there is a front and rear)just came in to dealer.(took about a week to get from GM)my appointment is for march 4, i'll let you know if the vibration is gone. to clarify my specific problem: my TB HAS A GAS PEDAL VIBRATION ONLY. i do not feel any vibration in other parts of my vehicle. this vibration if felt from 20-60 mph and is constant.(it does not come and go)Springs, balancing,are not the problem. the vibrations happen when the car is either in 2 wheel drive or A4WD.(it is not a torque-converter problem)regards,
    Thanks for keeping us updated!
    Chevy/GM knows about the problem, they have no fix! I was told this today! The springs help dampen the vibration on about 65% of the SUV's, It is a massive problem! You might see a recall soon if enough people complain! My mechanic stated that almost 40% of all TB's have the problem, Not Envoy or Bravada, due to the Air Bags within the springs. So Here is what I know, the vibration occurs even worse when temp is below 30. Springs help on most people, living in warmer areas, or they are garage kept vehicles! So mine is not, the temp hasn't got above 40 in like 90 days! Also the guy stated that the other 45% haven't noticed the problem yet! Yikes! This Sucks!
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    Is this something one can notice when test driving the vehicle? I have test driven the TB 3 times and the ride was just amazing. No vibration I could notice. Is it something that develops over time?
    Well, I just got the vehicle back from the dealer. Good and bad news for anyone concerned. First, the dealer changed my REAR drive shaft (F1280)although he originally told me he was going to replace the FRONT drive shaft.Go figure. The vibrations which WERE felt on my gas pedal have diminished BUT HAVE NOT GONE AWAY TOTALLY. Thus, I must concur with "ALAN93" who states that GM has no answer at this time in fixing this problem. I can live with the present vibration(I think)although I am aware of the vibration while I drive.I figure that fixing the rear drive shaft reduced the vibration by about 75%. Not bad, but certainly not what I was hoping for. So, WHAT NOW??? Do I take it back to the dealer and tell him I'm not happy because the vibration is still there, or do I try to live with it for the next 4 years of my lease? Do I try to make my dealer exchange this for another TB under the Lemon Law (I think it has to be brought back to the dealer 5 times for the same problem before they will possibly deal with you) ANY SUGGESTIONS ? Regards,Bob
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    i had my springs changed and i really just a little hear the vibration. i got a 03 tblazer ls and my pedal has no vibration at all. i might see if i can get the vibration reduced but really it does not bother me alot. i think it will be a recall though on the 03s probably the 02s also just a thought.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I have a 1997 S-10 4x4. I had a vibration in it when it was new. The dealer rebalanced the tires twice, said it was "OK". The owner,(me) said "No way".

Because I have very little patience, and some mechanical aptitude, I removed the rear driveshaft, and took it to the local d'shaft shop for a balance check. They called me a couple of hours later, and said it was too badly warped to just balance out the vibration.

When I went back to pick up the shaft, the shop foreman pointed to the sticker on the shaft, and said there's your problem. The sticker said "Made at Three Rivers Plant". He told me that they were getting in quite a few shafts from there that just weren't assembled "square". They made a new shaft for me, I installed it, and the truck was smooth as silk.

Took the original shaft back to the dealer, and after a few minutes of "discussion" and a ride around the block, they agreed that the shaft was indeed the problem and had GM reimburse me for the repair. They said that if they ordered another shaft through GM parts network, it would also be made at the three rivers plant, so it could be bad also. Just somthing for you guys to ponder....
    It might come down to that!!! Hopefully NOT, They might void the warranty or something?
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    this repair wouldn't void a warranty, as the driveshaft is actually a warrantied item. In other words, the dealer(so to speak) took out the bad part and put in a good part. I say "so to speak", because that's where the "discussion" that I originally spoke of, came in to play. Good luck with your truck.
    The culprit, out of round Drive shaft!!!!

I don't want to sound like I complain, This is a great truck!!!! I would recommend one to anyone!!!
    Read post #2 from 2 months ago.
    Yep I had told the dealer about this 1 month ago, but the said Nah! After them having a vehicle for over a week, and calling Chevy, they looked at everything!
    Glad to hear you finally got it resolved. I'm surprised they didn't look at the most likely causes from the start.
  • cressidajcressidaj Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer that is throwing road debris from the front tires onto the flanged area in front of the rear tires. I have 13000 miles on it. It has never been off road. In conversations with Chevrolet they will not do anything to make it right. I asked for mudflaps and repaint of the area. Since then I have discovered two more Trailblazers with the same damage. Since the 2003 and 2002's are the same body design it will be a problem with both. Everyone should check their vehicle immediately and if you find damage file a complaint. I will be contacting the attorney general and the BBB. I, also plan to provide this information to dealers so that they will be under pressure to get this design problem taken care of.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    around gets rock chips in front of the rear wheels. That's just the way it is.

Debris gets kicked up by the front tires and the air flowing around the car, in a circular motion, brings some of it into the vehicle's body.

Save the calls to the Pentagon and focus your energy on something much more important. This is certainly NOT a Trailblazer problem.
  • cressidajcressidaj Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your response. I know that all vehicles suffer this type of damage, but you haven't seen mine. It is pretty bad and after so few miles. Take care.
    get some runnin boards, and mud flaps.
  • billdeesbilldees Member Posts: 1
    I own a 02 TB that has this vibration at 67 - 74 mph. They changed the springs which made it worse. I opened a case with GM and BBB today. Lets keep the pressure on GM to FIX these vehicles. Anyone with news from GM let us know. If you are thinking of buying a TB you had better wait. This is a major problem that GM seems to want to ignore.
This discussion has been closed.