Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Monterey is a joke--what a Freestar with the Mercury logo?
    The Navigator may be the Expedition, but Lincoln has totally fixed it up right to look awesome.
    Sienna and Ody are much more luxurious than Monterey.

Yeah, your're right. Buy the Monterey now. Send in the mail-in rebates for the engine, transmission, tires, bumpers, leather, glass, etc. And in about 4 months, you get $25K in the mail, right? :-)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think they might actually end up paying you to take it.

I was just teasing, by the way. The Ford vans are a huge disappointment.

-juice
  • ac00lraac00lra Member Posts: 69
    OK NissanFan, I can tell you're very neutral about car makers. :-D What did you expect from Honda?? An Odyssey + Element mix to make it look like the Quest? If you like the look, ride, and comfort of Nissan, you should get it Given the fact that the Quest is not selling well at all, you should be able to get a great deal on it.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    With todays car featuring solar ray glass on the windshield and front windows, plus tinted rear windows on vans and SUV's, it should be much better.

Freestar is a big improvement over the Windstar, but a dissapointment comparing to Sienna or new Odyssey. It is still comparable with GM and Chrysler minivans. Just improve the engine and rear seat, and the Freestar is a competitive minivan.

My Windstar lease is expiring soon, I had no major problems over the last 3 years, just some minor issues which could happen with any car (OK, I'm taking good care on it and driving very careful), and I don't know what to take next. I'm leaning toward Sienna and new Odyssey (depends which one will be better for me), but given the HUGE rebates from Ford's Freestar, AND given the fact I had almost no issues with my Windstar, make me think twice before final deciding.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i knew a guy who owned a detailing company - he says that white is the best color for dirt - even if its dirty, from a distance, it still looks clean - something else for white, if it gets scratched, the primer coat is white as well, and it won't show as badly (certainly not like black or any other dark color). in addition, white paint for some reason holds up over time better than other colors (and since its not metallic, its a helluvalot easier to match)-
    just for your info, white is technically not a color - it is an absence of color - since there is no color, it does not absorb light (energy)and heat up. since white paint does actually have hues of color in it, it will still absorb light, but dramatically less so than anything darker.

that said, if you still want black and if i saw in the picture correctly, the new ody has "roll-down" windows in the sliding doors, which will let it cool off considerably faster than the current ody. (does anybody know if the new ody has opening sliding door windows?)
  • mochisushimochisushi Member Posts: 126
    Samnoe,
    Check out the following link for the latest minivan comparison from Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article- _id=8103

Also, take into consideration the resale value. You're going to want to sell/trade it sometime in the future.

I don't know about the Windstar, but my brother's 1996 Grand Caravan SE with 96K miles was traded in and he got only 6.25% back. My 1999 Odyssey EX with 98K miles was traded in and I got back 43.4% or a difference of $10K. BIG difference when it came down to financing the new car. I believe that the Odyssey is well known to be one of the best, if not THE best, in resale value.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I drove the Freestar as a rental for 2 days in California. It was not bad at all. My only complaint is that I had a difficult time looking over my left shoulder because the chair is so high. So I guess my rear field of vision is reduced significantly in the Freestar compared to the Ody or Sienna.
    Other than that, it drove just as well as the Ody.
    Doesn't look as good as the Ody or Sienna, IMO.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    In one week, will start the 2005 Honda Odyssey Ride and Drive for Honda sales folks. Boston will have the first look, and Im hoping they will give some good info on the new van.

ALSO.....

Honda is also supposed to be doing some heavy advertising during the Olympics (maybe of the 05 Odyssey?), so the timing seems about right.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/09/new...ympics_gm.reut/
    Thanks, Player. The link didn't work for me...But if this is the same article, here is the text regarding Honda.

"Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will air an average of 20 spots in its top 18 markets during the Games, Eric Conn, Honda's assistant vice president of national automobile advertising, told Reuters in an interview.

"We're there, the audience is there. At least we can be in the room with the Olympic audience," Conn said. "Clearly you get to go to the party but you don't have to pay the ticket," he added in reference to GM's exclusive deal.

The ads will help Honda (HMC: up $0.19 to $23.41, Research, Estimates), which is preparing to launch a new version of its top-selling Odyssey minivan, keep the brand fresh in consumers' minds, Conn said."
    20/28, wow! Impressive!

19/25 ain't bad, either.

They imply PAX only on the Touring?

-juice
  • fbearfbear Member Posts: 117
    ac00Ira- Thanks!

I have a Touring reserved but to get 8 seat capacity I'd have to opt for EX instead.

Hmmm, what to do? Opt for the practicality of the 8 seats or the Touring and its toys? Perhaps I should do the mature thing and get the 8 seat EX which would be handy every now and then.

Nah, I want the toys. Bring on the Touring for me.
    Which will you use more? 8 seats or all the gizmos.

Probably the gizmos. You can use them on every trip. The 8th seat would be empty 90% of the time.

-juice
    I am hoping that the 8-Passenger will be available in EX-L. That way I can have MOST of the toys (NAV, RES, Leather). I'd still prefer ALL the toys in the Touring, but with four kids, there are too many times that my oldest (13) brings along two friends. With the other kids getting older, too, we really need this option.

One thing to note: The article says what the Touring has...However, I still don't think that there is anything definite that the EX or EX-L won't have some of the features. I would find it amazing if Honda doesn't have the power hatch on these models.
    You need a 15 passenger van. :o)

-juice
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    at least you can get the 8 passenger EX with dual power sliding doors, I think - can't get that with a Sienna. Otherwise, not a huge difference between the 05 Ody EX-8 and Sienna LE-8.

Our 2nd row center (8th) seat gets used all of the time, as we seat 3 people and use the rear as a huge cargo bay. I'd love to have 8 passenger seating and gizmos together, but Toyota won't do it for fuel economy reasons. Don't know what Honda's is yet.

4700 lbs!?!
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Didn't some character called BamaBoy say, back in March, that the Odyssey was definitely NOT going to have an 8-seater? I remember reading that, and other juicy tidbits, like the special deal Odyssey EX version that was on sale come April.

And don't get your hopes up on the "lazy susan." Bamab oy said no to that one, too.

Since he works in the Alabama plant, and he said he drove 'em everyday, then that's a more reliable source of info than some online magazine article.

Right?
  • koller1koller1 Member Posts: 7
    A valid pic of 2005 Ody????

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/592171
    Good point about the 2nd row center seat, and I'll point out that it would have been a more useful feature on the current Ody! My cousin has 3 kids, and cannot ever fold the magic 3rd row! She has not used it once.

The new van's 3rd row splits, so the 8th seat is less necessary, but still a bonus.

koller: nope, all of those are concepts. They showed all of them at Detroit.

BTW, that Acura has a really, really cool logo on the back. It casts a shadow of the Acura logo, subtle, but the type of feature you remember. Lemme see if I can find a pic I took...

Bingo:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288056341&p=4193651127- &idx=200

Check out how the logo sorta floats, and the reflection magically appears upside down. It was so cool in person. The whole vehicle was about knee height.

-juice
    With all due respect to bamaboy, I would bet that the article posted earlier today was/is valid.

It was not just any online magazine. The header called it a Money Magazine article and the listed author, Lawrence Ulrich, has articles on cars in Money every month.

More evidence: Edmunds has deleted the post. Why do that if it was nothing more than continued speculation?

My guess is that someone leaked the Money Magazine article which will appear in the September issue which should be out any day.
    Hmm...So Money's car writer has had a chance to see the vehicle? Bamaboy said he was driving two or three every day. No 8th seat, no lazy susan. Gee whiz, I nearly went out and ordered a Sienna because Bamabuoy put the kabosh on some of my favorite features. I'm depressed.
    QUOTE:
    You need a 15 passenger van. :o)
    -juice

Juice,
    LOL...Don't you know it! However, with an Ody 8-Passenger and our Sub, we have room for 16...and they are less likely to roll over. I think that a 7-Passenger Ody + the Sub will be fine. But the "President" has VETO'ed that idea, and I don't have 2/3 majority in the house to override (my three sons votes are not counted...and none of them are named "Chad"). I am allowed to get in the the last words, though... "Yes Dear"
    fbear and anyone else that didn't see the article...Go to www.odyclub.com for the article. I have a feeling that it is Edmunds that removed the post and not Money...However, I could be wrong.

Also, the article came from money.cnn.com. Do a search within CNN/Money for Odyssey. You'll see the article header dated 9/01/04 (YES, September 1st). You will need a subscription to view. I don't have one, so I am assuming that the person at odyclub does and the post is accurate.

Karen,
    Can you comment?
  • sbrandonsbrandon Member Posts: 24
    scan up a few messages for what should be the picture.
    Mochisushi- I agree- Money would not have the capability to take the post down but a reputable outfit like Edmunds would not want to be party to the premature leaking of a copyrighted, yet-to-be published article so I expect they would take it down themselves. (and certainly if Money asked them to) Maybe Karen can will comment.
    Forum administrator at odyclub says that Honda politely asked them to take down the Money article, which he did, but people seem to be re-posting it there as fast as he can take it down.

I was able to retrieve it for myself by using the back button on my browser, but I do not feel it is right to re-post something Edmunds has deleted.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The post with that article was removed because it is copyrighted material. Please check the Member Agreement for clarification.

We will allow a few sentences of a copyrighted article with an appropriate link to the actual published piece (not another copy/paste elsewhere), but a cut/paste of it in its entirety won't fly.
    Just get a used school bus and be done with it. The newer ones even have seat belts now! ;-)

-juice
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    The current Money magazine has a bright red cover in case you want to take a peek on the newsstands, go to page 147 I think, don't have a copy my desk right this second.

The article also had a few pictures of what appeared to be a silver/black leather Touring with NAV/RES. They didn't have a picture of the whole van, though, just a rear shot, a partial side shot, small crops of the interior, and no frontal picture. The 60/40 3rd row split is the opposite of the Sienna's - larger portion on the passenger side.

There was definitely a mention of an 8th seat only available on the EX trim, that could fold down into a table, then be removed and stowed into a floor well.

VCM is available only on EX-L and up, so if you want the 8th seat, no factory frills for you :(

Article also said the 05 Odyssey's curb weight was 4700lbs - hope that's just a typo and that it's really 4400lbs. Competing with Kia for the title of heaviest minivan is not a good thing.
    Not a good idea...Don't want my kids having to live with the stigma of riding in the "little school bus", if you know what I mean... =)
  • jsvanguyjsvanguy Member Posts: 14
    I am interested in the eight seat option for the 05 Odyssey, but wonder if the size of the second row chairs would small and uncomfortable as compared to the 2nd row captains chairs for a 7 passenger version?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Side curtain airbags and the vehicle stability control safety features? Wow.
    Lynn,
    Looks like Orlando wasn't hit too hard by Charley. I hope that you and your family/friends are doing fine. Looking forward to discussing Odys with you again...
  • matmechmatmech Member Posts: 12
    Just defending Bamaboy. He did say that there was going to be an 8 seater and the 8th seat was an optional accessory across the line.
  • matmechmatmech Member Posts: 12
    Bamaboy repsonses 615, 670, 714. That guy was excellent. Give him some credit.
    I never knew about bamaboy as I wasn't in the forums back then. It is impressive how accurate his posts were back then...pretty much confirms that he is (was) in fact an employee. The question I have is: Where is bamaboy now? His last post was in April...Wonder if Honda got wind of an insider and put stern reminders about confidentiality...or they found out who he was...
    Thanks for the message numbers. His 714 does confirm the 8th seat, which on some models will be a dealer-purchased option.

I guess it was the woodgrain trim he said wouldn't make it into the '05 Ody.

But then, most of the speculation about the '05 Ody on other sites was also "accurate" about upping the ante and competing with the Sienna.

Go figure!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Not a good thing but Honda engines are much more efficient than the gas-guzzling engines of Kia: More power with better fuel economy.
         Even if the 2005 Odyssey has a curb weight of 4700 pounds, the performance and fuel economy would be MUCH better than the gas guzzling, "small-on-the-inside" Kia Sedona.
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    Right at this moment I lean toward Toyota a bit, because it is more quiet and sophisticate than the Honda. Sophitication is very impotant for a person like me; I am going to be a chauffer for a long while.

Is the level of noise the same on CE, LE and XLE?
  • lynnwlynnw Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for thinking of us. We are all doing great right now. Lost electricity for about a day but thankfully property damage here was minimal (I am only speaking for myself though, lots of nearby damage). Lost 2 trees on my property and some shingles and my back fence is half gone, but glad no windows or serious roof damage occured. My parents live in Poinciana (south of Kissimmee) and they still have no power. My sister came over for the night last night since she had no power either, but just left after they got it on at 3:30. It certainly has been an experience. No school til Wed., darn it!!!! I need a Nanny I think ;) But my sister came in her Odyssey ('03) and told me they finally recalled her tranny so the Odyssey subject was still being thrown about here, hurricane and all :) Her lease is up in a year and she says she will definitely either get a new one or buy the one she has if they fix her problem. In the letter she received it stated her mileage was over the repair limit and needed a replacement tranny. Boy I hope the '05's dont have any of these types of issues, please please please. I am also watching the Olympics (now that I have power that is) and hoping to see a Honda commercial showing us what we have been deprived of all this time.
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    I plan to buy either an '05 Sienna or Ody before end of '04. I decided that I liked driving the Ody better than the Sienna, but the Ody's road noise was a big problem. I need the road noise as low as possible for conversation with my kids (or to eavesdrop on their conversations with their friends) and would sacrifice Ody's driving pleasure for being able to hear better.
    Looks like '05 Ody is going to have all the safety and luxury features I want but will it be any quieter? The only way I'll know is to drive it. So, does anybody think that dealers will let shoppers test drive the '05 models before the end of this calender year? I remember when I was buying a 2000 minivan in late 1999 and couldn't test drive an Ody--not even in early 2000. Ended up getting a T & C Ltd. (Sienna was too small at that time.) I won't buy a car I can't test drive!
    What about those places that do "sound deadening" for audiophiles? Does anybody know if they could get an Ody to be as quiet as some of the luxury vehicles? How do luxury vehicles get so quiet anyway?
    Texasmom,

I don't know if you got to read the Money Magazine article, dated 9/01/04, that was posted for a short time here and at Odyclub.com (Looks like problems with Odyclub as I haven't been able to get connected all weekend). Anyway, below is what they said about noise.

"Road noise, a modest flaw of the outgoing model, has been solved with generous sound-absorptive materials."

So, it sounds like they have improved it...How much and if it is enough is purely subjective.
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Any of you guys out there who live in the New York Metropolitan area can see the new Ody on August 26 at the Honda ride & drive being held at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands, NJ.
    You will not be able to drive it (only dealers and their employees) but it is usually held in the surrounding parking lots, so you could certainly drive by.
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    Mochisushi,

Thank you for that information. Please, let it be true this time! I remember reading reports that Honda had seriously reduced noise when a previous Odyssey model year was being introduced--can't remember what year it was.
    Do you or anyone else think there is much chance of test drives being possible during 2004?
  • dizneediznee Member Posts: 3
    As an avid lurker on odyclub and since they have been down for 2 days, I just have to share my excitement somewhere! My friend was at our local dealership picking up her new 04 ody and a big truck pulled up with the rear boxed in. As they opened it up and proceeded to drive the vehicles off she thought nothing of it till one stalled (having run out of gas) in the dealer lot. Then she got a closer look and realized it was the 05 ody I have been sending spy pics on for months, and it was sitting right there in front of her. Luckily she had her camera ready (much to the dealers dismay) and managed to snap a few pictures. I uploaded them onto a website and since odyclub is down figured I could share with you guys :)

Go to www.growthspurts.com

Username ody05

Password honda

You will see honda listed as a child (sorry only free site I could think of using to host), then just click on thumbnails. You can click each image to enlarge. Enjoy!!
  • casper7777casper7777 Member Posts: 12
    diznee, thanks for posting your pics. just a few quick thoughts... those are the best photos of the 05 ody to date. no spy camo - you can see everything including all the chrome accents around the windows. it looks like you nabbed the EX model - without leather. you can see the radio (in place of the nav screen) more clearly now. I still think it looks like an afterthought. just looks kind of out of place.

diznee, thanks again for being so vigilant and posting all those great photos.
  • nomorefordsnomorefords Member Posts: 3
    What a beautiful baby diznee! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Have to agree these are the best pics to date!

Not sure I'm crazy about the all black dash and the front end is still growing on me. The side shot is very nice and the rear is definately okay.

Looks like I'll have to check one out as soon as our dealer has one!

Not sure if I'll be interested in the Touring model (the run flat tires may not be as quiet and sound expensive to replace). If I can have the high end 6 CD audio as an option on an EX-L I think I'd be happy!

Once again thanks for the great pics!
  • gjay1170gjay1170 Member Posts: 67
    Dizne, Thanks for the great photos. How did you get to take the pictures inside? I think we're all obsessing about the '05 Ody. I go on Edmunds and Odyclub everyday to check new updates and pictures. My husband is getting sick of waiting for the '05 and said he's ready to get the '04. No way. I want the new stuff. By the way, the exterior isn't that much different from the 99-04. The side profile is similar, the front and back is a little more different, not to drastic. I think I'll like it. I can't wait to show the pictures to my husband. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. It made my day.
  • gjay1170gjay1170 Member Posts: 67
    Where did the Odyclub website go? It's been out for the whole weekend?
  • pluto168pluto168 Member Posts: 44
    diznee, thanks for the great photos. From all the info I've been reading from various forums, I'm excited about the new features (such as 8th seat design & the stardard safty features) but not sure if I like the dash design - kinda plain. I guess I just have to check out one in person and hopefully can test drive one. It's gonna be a tough call between Ody and Siena for me.
    I believe that it is a Transmission problem...Data Transmission, that is... ;-)
This discussion has been closed.