Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Ranger 4.0 Engine Problems

13»

Comments

• Options
    troy100troy100 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Mazda B4000 which is built by Ford. Just after buying the truck in August I noticed a vibration from the gas pedal on acceleration and also at highway speeds. Then the shortly after that when the truck was idle and in gear I noticed a knocking noise from the bottom of the engine near the oil pan. It also would sound like a diesel. I took it to the dealer they said it was normal. I would not except that and continued to return it for the same problem. Finally they called me and said there was a problem with all Ford 98 and 99 4.0 liter engines and that they where ordering a new Engine to be installed on my truck per Mazda. They called it piston slap. What that is I don't know. There is a service bulletin recently posted stating this problem. If you have a 98 or 99 4.0 Liter Ford Engine in your vehicle have your dealer check this service bulletin.
  • Options
    ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    My dealer insisted on trying to rebuild this engine - it still made the same noise. According to them - just drive it? I didn't have that much warranty left to just drive it. Ford should have started replacing these engines long ago - I would have kept my Ranger if they had fixed the problem with a new engine. I really kind of liked the truck.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    It is not ALL Ford 4.0 engines built in 98/99, its only a certain lot#. I have a 1998 4.0 with about 20K on it and have had no problems, no slap, no vibrations at all. I have worked the engine pretty good to with the trailing I do in the Cascade range.
    Sorry to hear about your engines. You should be able to get them replaced under warranty with no hassle.
  • Options
    trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    I have had no problems with my 4.0 in 8K but wonder if any further info is available on identifying which engines are a potential problem? I would hate to find out after my warranty runs out. Seems like Ford would make this info available.
  • Options
    My problem happened early on - the truck was built March, 1998. I heard the noise at about 5,000 miles, but was not familiar with the vehicle yet - it was under warranty for a long time, tried not to worry. By the time the truck had 18,000 miles on it, the engine sounded like a diesel when in park - no load on the engine. Actually, I was finding it embarassing - ran the A/C even when I didn't need it to put a load on the engine and keep people from wondering what all that noise was about. My dealer - even when I stated I wanted a new engine - insisted on trying to rebuild the engine. After two weeks - that were supposed to be 2 or 3 days - the engine made the same noise that I remembered at about 5,000 miles. The response from my long-time dealer: don't bother us, just drive it. I figured I didn't have enough time left on warranty to "just drive it". I have a new F-150 that has shown no signs of any problems - yet at 10,000 miles.
  • Options
    hangir1hangir1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1993 4.0 V-6 just passed 207,000 miles with almost nothing ever done to the engine except to replace the air/fuel sensor. It pings on regular, so I have to run mid-grade or premium for hilly driving. Rather than get rid of it, just had the transmission overhauled. I was pleased with how lucky I had been with this engine when the Ford mechanic told me the 4.0 Ranger before me had 194,000 miles, and was just in for its first tune-up without any engine work whatsoever in its whole life. If there is a chronic problem with the engine, I've never experienced it. It still has good power/acceleration, and I bet the doors will fall off before the engine quits.
  • Options
    These problems with the 4.0 engine have just started. I think they started when Ford started building the overheard cam version for the Explorer. And, ironically - they also started installing the Explorer's 5-speed auto transmission. If it really is a piston/slap problem - what really does that mean? Maybe for the overhead cam version they went with a heavier piston - lots more revs and did not properly consider the old block, and well - we need new engines. Not my problem anymore. Just spent about 30 minutes reading about the new Silverados - again. Sure am happy with my 5.4 F-150 (4X4). Personally a truck needs to drive very nice and smooth up to about 90 mph - I would just truly hate that vibration problem with the 1999 and now looks like the 2000 Silverados.
  • Options
    a6chrisa6chris Member Posts: 15
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT, I'm ordering it and I'm not sure whether I should get the 3.0 or the 4.0 V6. I do a lot of highway driving and like power to merge and pass through traffic. Any thoughts would help alot
  • Options
    In the same situations - my 1998 Ranger 4X4 with 5-speed auto - had the same problems with keeping up with the highway traffic. In NM, the average speed is 80+ mph and we have some significant grades and some really significant semi-truck clogs on these grades. On more than one occasion, my Ranger just simply had no power after trying to accelerate up a grade from the rear of a slow semi. I never thought this when I bought the truck - but, if I had to do it all over again? I would look seriously at the 3.0 - if for no other reason than gas mileage. Both engines are underpowered - at least the 3.0 will get some nice numbers on occasion.
  • Options
    toddstrucktoddstruck Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 Mazda B3000 and a 99 Ford Ranger 4.0L Extended Cab 2 wheel drive with the 5 spd auto. I have noticed a big difference on the stopping performance of the Ranger and any other truck I've driven including my Mazda. The breaks on the Ranger have seemed a bit mushy from day one and it seems to take it a really long time to slow down from highway speeds. I've taken it to the dealership, but they said it performed as it should. Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?
  • Options
    Don't forget folks, your driving trucks not cars. The gearing on a truck is so all your Torque comes in the lower band area.
    Try a K&N or KKM air charger kit and a chip. I have these on my 4.0 5spd 4x4 with a limited slip 3.73 rearend. Don't expect gut wrenching, neck snapping response, but you will notice a difference.
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Vince -

I know that you sometimes run a superchip in your Ranger. My ignorant question is where is this chip physically located? Engine compartment? Under the dash? I'd like to be able to find it. Thanks...
  • Options
    lonnie9lonnie9 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1999 Mazda with a 4.0 engine and I wish I had looked at this WEB sight before I did. I thought the engine sounded noisy, I even remarked to the dealer that it sounded a little like a diesel. Is it possible that #102 or troy 100 correspondent could find out what service bulletin the dealer replaced the engine under or maybe someone else out there can help us so we can go to the dealer with more ammunition.
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I am the one that posted the original problem - over 100 replies ago. My engine was a definite problem, not fully recognized and/or fixed by the dealer. I think response #102 may be correct - there may be some bad engines out there. From talking with the long-time dealer - not real resonsive to the problem - I have decided that Ford has some quality-control problems here - either the pistons or the block. Good luck - like I said, you'll probably need it. Ford insisted that the dealer rebuild my bad engine at 17,000 miles - the only answer that would have been proper was a new engine....... Does just seem like a bad lot of possibly blocks?
  • Options
    podie1956podie1956 Member Posts: 5
    I was lucky enough to pick up a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT, A/T and 4.0,for $12,000 with only 290 miles on it and I haven't heard the loud engine noise everyone's talking about - I just keep getting stopped for speeding because it has such good pick up from a stop!
  • Options
    devontiedevontie Member Posts: 35
    I have a 3.0 Auto 2000 Ranger Supercab XLT. I live on Long Island in NY. Just went Upstate to the mountains I thought the truck had plenty of power. If I was ordering over again I would still get the 3.0. I guess it all according to what works for you. I was driving 80 Mph. still had power to pass, no problem on hills. a6chris I recommend the 3.0.
  • Options
    The post and most replies are regarding the 4.0 engine - an old engine, derived from the 2.9 engine originally brought over from Europe in the mid to late 80's. The engines have always had some problems. Now, the current 4.0 seems to have even more. The 3.0 that you refer to is the Taurus Vulcan engine - reliable with minor and/or extended maintenance to at least 100,000 miles. It is an original Ford design and was developed more for durability than power.
  • Options
    yourlordshipyourlordship Member Posts: 2
    When I sat down with the salesperson and ordered my 97 Ranger I threw out the question: "What can I get for free?". He said, "let's look and see.". He pulled out this 5 inch thick binder and found that with the 4.0L and 5spd automatic that a rear stabilizer can be had at no charge. If you're special-ordering a vehicle - ask. They won't volunteer such info.

Brakes: Fed Gov mandates that truck brakes do not have to be as good as car brakes. Translation: trucks need more distance to stop than cars. On the highway, I hang back at least 4 car lengths from whatever is in front of me.

5 speed automatic transmission: I was told by a ford mechanic that the 5 spd in the 4 spd with added electronics that make use of the torque converter to reduce RPM by 200 to 300. How true this is...I don't know.
  • Options
    devontiedevontie Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2000 Ranger Supercab and it stops as as good or better then most cars.
  • Options
    backporchbackporch Member Posts: 1
    Someone is telling me the 4.0 Ford engine, which is in the Rangers, Explorers, Mazda Pickups, & etc., will have to be rebuilt or replaced by 100,000 miles. I'm thinking about buying a '93 Explorer with 85,000 miles which I've known since the current owners purchased it new and it's never had any major problems engine or otherwise. What kind of luck are you 4.0 Ford engine owners having?
  • Options
    The 4.0 catches a bad rap because of its old push rod technology. It doesn't have and overhead cam, or multi-valves, but if you look a the stats and read the HP/Torque curves you will see the 4.0 is a good engine. I have never heard of a rebuild at 100K for 4.0. At 83K I would however get your timing belt changed and have compression test done, along with a tune-up. If compression tests good, and tune-up checks good, along with an inspection by a good mechanic I would say your good to go.
  • Options
    wmcmanuswmcmanus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ranger XLT Supercab and love it, including the 3.0 engine. It has plenty of power and gets decent mileage (avg 18 mixed driving.) I have had only 2 issues with the truck:

1. Heating/AC system failed and had to be fixed.
    2. Brights don't work. They are getting fixed next week.

Other than that the truck drives great.
  • Options
    jgatlingjgatling Member Posts: 1
    The engine in my truck is noisy all the time. Sounds like a diesel. I am really concerned because at 31k miles the warranty will give out soon. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    You may very well have the same engine I tried to ignore. I suspect you may be close to throwing a rod - per the mechanic that rebuilt mine. It is a bad engine - from other posts I have learned that the "wrist pins" are the culprit. Don't know - don't need to know - traded mine in after it was supposed to be fixed (rebuilt and sounded just like it did about 10,000 miles before). Long-term dealer just turned their heads (mechanics shook their heads) - wanted me to go away and don't bother anymore. My suggestion: check out the web-sites. Ford/Mazda know that there are a certain number of these 4.0 engines out there with problems that cannot be fixed. Me: I would demand as in DEMAND a new engine. Don't let them tell you it can be rebuilt unless they can give you specific reasons why it was so bad to begin with. "Wrist Pins" - well I have never rebuilt an engine, but if that was the problem with mine at 17,000 miles, they must have been built of putty. The engine sounded so BAD - could not even go thru a drive-thru without the person wondering if I had a diesel in a Ranger. If you want to decrease the noise: turn on the a/c - a little load on the engine makes the noise much less noticeable. Otherwise, go to and thru Ford for a new engine - accept nothing less.
  • Options
    elvisimoelvisimo Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 97 x/c xlt new, and now with 40k+ miles I have yet to here any engine noise at all. I actually think it is running smother now than the day I drove it off of the lot.The 4.0 had alot to do with the reason I originally bought it, at the time I test drove them all (Chevy, Nissan, Toyota) and the 4.0 was definitely the biggest bang for the buck. I know several people with late model Rangers and have never seem this problem personally in any of there trucks (although I admit that I have heard the rumors).
    Maybe I am just lucky, but mine is running great..

Lucky Elvis
  • Options
    Nope not lucky, I had a 4.0 go to 96K with not ONE PROBLEM. At trade in it still ran great. I now own a 1998 with 26K on it and it runs great too. These are just isolated incidents with a small batch of 4.0's.
  • Options
    ducitducit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 supercab 4x4 with 104,000 miles. The truck has been fantastic. I have used Mobil 1 in the truck since about 5000 miles. I have had to replace brakes,battery, tires, tranny filters and a muffler. I still have the original shocks. I do us my truck for towing and light 4 wheeling. I wish I had the same luck with my 1998 Explorer. It has been one big head ache. I have had no problems with the truck until last week. My brake light and ABS light have been coming on from time to time. I have gone through the entire system and can not find a problem. I am thinking it may be a short. Any advice ?
  • Options
    Believe me if you have this problem, you will know it. The engine makes a very bad sound - starting in my case at about 5,000 miles. But, also in my case - the truck was over a year old with nearly 20,000 miles when I could not take it any more (was the original owner). Ford probably already knew there was a problem out there somewhere. Why did the regional manager insist on rebuilding it? It should have been replaced. It is bad enough to tear apart all that wiring, pull out components with sensitive seals to rebuild an engine for the first time. Of course, add to that a dealer that left the truck trashed - it was totally clean when I brought it in. It did not run right - when I called back to complain, - oh well, the computers have to readjust and the mechanic did not have time to test-drive the truck - after a total rebuild! Some minor things were also missing. As a consumer, once was enough - it was a new and rather expensive truck! Guess I could have gone the "route" and got a new engine, but: No - would not even think about trying to live with the problems of removing an engine twice in 20,000 miles. By the way, my new F-150 with 5.4 and 4X4 is a truly nice truck - 12,000 miles so far and not a complaint. Ford should make the Rangers as good as the F-150. (And I have a new and much better/responsive dealer.)
  • Options
    loki99loki99 Member Posts: 14
    In 95 I bought a new ranger xlt supercab, with the
    3.0lv6, Honestly I was happy with it until about
    30,000 miles, around then, I started having what I thought were minor problems, My ABS and airbag lights came on at different times, I brought it in to the dealer and they replaced some kind of sending unit under warranty, no problem, I know machines are just that and they did take good care of me, at first, then at 34,000 miles, the A/C went out in the middle of summer in Texas! It took
    almost a week to get the part they needed, all the time I was sweating to death, they would not give me a loaner and instead kept telling me it would be in the next day, anyway, I let that go too. Then at 37,000 miles the engine started knocking like it was low on oil, the noise had been there as long as I could remember, but it was never this loud and I thought it was normal. Finally I brought it in and had to fight the dealer to get Ford to pay for even the check out to see what was wrong, much less pay to fix it! I finally had to get the Ford rep out to look at the engine, and they graciously decided to fix my engine. I am not hard on my vehicles, but not easy either, I take them in to the dealer for all recomended service.

Well I was totally unhappy with the truck to say the least, but I figured it was just a fluke, and I was dumb enough to trade it in on a 98 ranger with the 4.0l engine, I figured maybe the changes and the different engine would be better, then with 18,000 mile son it I had the diesel sound that has been mentioned here before and a differential leak, I finally got fed up, I asked a friend of mine at work if he had trouble with his F150, he told me he always had troubles with his fords in one way or another, but you had to put up with it for the privellage of driving a ford! Well I can't stand that privellage anymore. I traded the ranger in 48 hours after the dealer got it out of their shop on a 2000 frontier desert runner, I just paid a little more than I did for my Ranger and got more equipment, plus the higher stance, better warranty, but from what I have read I won't need it. SO far I have been totally happy with it, the V6 is quieter, smoother, it rides better and feels like it has more power on the highway. I will never set foot on a ford lot again, and if you guys are smart, run to the nearest nissan or toyota dealer ASAP before your trade in falls too much more!
  • Options
    I am sorry about your bad luck. But it sounds to me as if you are generalizing all Fords are going to have problems. I am just the opposite of you, I have owned Fords for years and all of mine have been great. My first Ranger went to about 96K with absolutly no problems. And if you scroll back you will find other owners that have had the same great reliablity. Between my wifes family and my own there are 6 Fords in the family. All have done well ranging from just 25K up to 120K at present.
    Nissan, you better take a look around the Edmunds chats you may be surprised. Also, search the web, Nissans are not as bullet proof as you may wish to think. Anyway, enjoy your purchase.
  • Options
    loki99loki99 Member Posts: 14
    Vince;
    I did spend the time my ranger was in the shop searching every where on the web comparing reliability. Sitting at home gave me a lot of time
    The more I read, the angrier I got because I found every site rated the nissans and toyotas higher in reliability than the ranger, I just wish I had read all of that first, I would have bought the tacoma.
  • Options
    deannagdeannag Member Posts: 1
    I've done tons of research on vehicles in trying to make a decision on what type to buy as far as reliability goes for the money.(I can only spend under 11000 and want something with fairly low mileage since I will put on alot taking roadtrips and such). I had decided on a ranger but now after reading about all the engine problems I'm a bit paranoid. I found one that I would like to look at through a personal seller-97 xtendcab 4.0 V6 with 18,000miles for $10950. Should I even take the chance on a vehicle without a warranty? Should I just go for an older 95 Tacoma? which will give me the most amount of mileage without headaches? Also, how much is a reasonable amount to spend on a pre purchase inspection by a mechanic?
  • Options
    hunter495hunter495 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 1999 Explorer with the 4.0 At 12,000 miles they replaced the engine. The new one is worse than the first with 1500 miles. Waiting on Ford to make the next move. Just bought a 1995 Tacoma 4x4 V6 with 60,000 miles. Great truck and 22MPG hwy. To (deannag) buy the Tacoma!
  • Options
    aolivaraolivar Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone!
    I purchased a Y2K Ranger XL with Sport Appearance
    package. I'm very pleased wit the little truck and its 4.0 l engine because is very responsive and purrs like a cat. After two weeks of the purchase, Ford Motor Co. announced a rebate for new buyers and they got the truck for $1500 less. Is that fair? Can I file a complain in the dealer? Could the salesman give some advice about that? I'm really disappointed with that.
    Is really sad that Ford Motor Co.
  • Options
    aolivaraolivar Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone!
    I purchased a Y2K Ranger XL with Sport Appearance
    package. I'm very pleased wit the little truck and its 4.0 l engine because is very responsive and purrs like a cat. After two weeks of the purchase, Ford Motor Co. announced a rebate for new buyers and they got the truck for $1500 less. Is that fair? Can I file a complain in the dealer? Could the salesman give some advice about that? I'm really disappointed with that.
  • Options
    cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    aolivar;
    sorry bud, that's just the way it goes, most likely the dealer did not know there was going to be a rebate announcement, so nothing you can really do.
  • Options
    daniel_41daniel_41 Member Posts: 2
    2001 rangers get the 4.0 sohc from the explorer.
    Is this a good engine? Is it the same as the
    low tech engines in the Rangers currently?
    I have heard alot about bad auto trannys in
    fords but what about sticks? Anybody got any
    advice?
  • Options
    mtl3mtl3 Member Posts: 22
    >>-97 xtendcab 4.0 V6 with 18,000miles for $10950.<<

If you do decide to buy it, '97 may be the year to buy. Most of the folks with problems seem to be 98 or later.
    I have a '97 Mazda B4000. I now have about 25,000 miles on it now and it's been bullet proof. No pings, knocks, rattles or whatever. However, reading all these posts has sure got my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I am now on my second 4.0 Ranger. My first went to 96K without one problem. I did however keep extremly good care of it, 3K oil changes, regular tuneups, anti-freeze changes and the like. The 4.0 is not the most unreliable engine around as many may think. Go to www.therangerstation.com and see all the owners of Rangers with 100K, 200K and more miles on them!
  • Options
    66196619 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ford Ranger XLT with the famous 4.0 engine. At 5,000 miles it started the diesel sounds and then at 13,000 miles the motor went.
    The dealer said he put in a "new" engine but I found out later it was re-built.On the first oil change on this motor I could cover the palm of my hand with metal shavings from the used oil. One week later this motor also went. Now the dealer says I will get a "new" motor that was destined for the assembly line and pulled to the side just for me, I can't wait. When I get the truck back it will be traded (if they will take it)on a new Chevy S10 Xtreme.
  • Options
    My dealer for about 20 years undercut the trade by about $1,000 and I think it was because of the problems I had with the engine. To me that is not fair - would have stayed with them, but not at a bigger loss than I already was looking at. The truck was a little over a year old and had a bad engine. The maintenance on the engine was done at the dealer every 3,000 miles. Well, it's a long story - good luck getting a decent trade. Hope your dealer is trying harder than mine did!
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    The PICKUPS Conference has gotten WAY too big....

it is unwieldy to manage, and difficult to use for "newbies." There is entirely TOO much topic duplication, so I will be doing some SERIOUS topic consolidation in the next few weeks, getting us down to not more than 2-3 topics per vehicle type, and ultimately down to 200 topics or less.

THIS weeks consolidation candidates are: Tundra's, Tacoma's and Rangers.

In that vein,please consolidate this Ranger topic to Ford Ranger II and continue these discussions there.

Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.