Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford SVT Lightning

brudnerbrudner Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Ford
Has anyone out there taken delivery on a 99
lighening? What do you think so far? What is your
real life gas mileage? I have a deposit on one but
would really like some feedback from an owner.
Thanks.

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
  • brudnerbrudner Member Posts: 20
    hello
  • banzai83banzai83 Member Posts: 3
    brunder, looks like dave40 is really frustrated with the available gm products - hope they don't let him down. It would be a shame if gm doesn't take this concept to production (Corvettes have killed better gm vehicles). He's going to be posting that site a long time.

Thers's another site here in Edmunds for Lightnings, but another good one is
    http://www.f150online.com. They have alot of good postings.

By the way, one owner has run a high 13 stock. I think the ss claims low 14's. It'll be interesting to see if gm has the guts to bring it out.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I checked out that F150 sight.They had some nice looking trucks, but the better news was the money they were asking for 99 lightnings I saw as high as 35 grand.I hope all you lightning owners are taking care of your trucks it could pay off in the long run.I've been looking for a k&n air filter and they also make a generationII fuel injection performance kit which could possibly give you close to 400 hp.anyone out there got any other info
    Post them Lightning pictures in
    Topic # 775 Truck Pictures
  • biglairbiglair Member Posts: 1
    I have just taken delivery of a new 99 Lighting. First tank of gas ( in city) 13 mpg.
  • maxpressmaxpress Member Posts: 19
    I took delivery of my RED '99 Lightning on the 13th and I'm still smiling. I traded my black '97 Mustang Cobra in on it and I have no regrets. This is one fast truck. I'm amazed at how many heads it turns (mostly other truck owners). It turns almost as many heads as my 98 Beetle (also red).
  • cornell77cornell77 Member Posts: 5
    So exactly how was Fast Red ordered?
    How does the lightning compare to the cobra as far as speed and handling,I've got a black lightning I've had it for two months just turned 1400 miles,the truck is breaking in nicely it's a lot of fun to drive I haven't seen a red or a white one yet, let me know what you think
    I initialed ordered one through the Ford dealership I have purchased from for years, but they had a change in General Managers and my order was shuffled to the end (August delivery). With the change in GMs came a $5000 plus sticker price. After I gave them a piece of my mind, I began my search via the internet. I research the Ford internet site, got a list of SVT dealers in NC and SC. I called around and found two Lightning unclaimed. This was in Mar 99. I worked a deal with one of them and today (after a four month wait and at sticker price I'm the proud owner.
    As an addition, it came equipped with trailer towing package and 6 disc changer. I had the windows tinted today.
    well what do you think ,do you like it?
    The Cobra was supercharged as well. The Cobra was definitely faster in the quarter. With the Cobra being a straight drive versus the Lightning's automatic, the supercharger spool up in the Cobra was more rapid and hard. The Cobra was more difficult to handle off the line without lighting up the tires. As far as handling, they both carve up the road without any problem. The Cobra (which was lower via Eibach springs, Kenny Brown frame connectors and subframe braces) was more stiff. The truck rides smoother. I had only put 1900 miles on the Cobra in 2 years and hated to trade it in, both it was just a one dimension vehicle. The Lightning gives me the speed I want plus the use in an everyday environment.
    Yes, I love it. Only after 162 miles, I'm glad I made the decision to trade. I filled the gas tank up after 120 miles and it took 6 gallons (20 mpg) and that's doing 65-80 mph with the AC on. It also included a blast from 65 to 120 on the interstate.
    Has anyone checked out the possible bed covers for their Lightning? I have to carry boxes of shirts and other merchandise I don't want to get wet. I've checked the usual fiberglass types, but I think it takes away from the looks. For whatever reason I could not get the tonneau cover ordered with my. I think my dealer just forgot about it until I was questioning him when he called me to tell me the date it was being built (June 12th).
    Post LIGHTNING pictures in Topic #775 TRUCK PICTURES
    or e-mail them to me and I will post them dp2000@webtv.net
    I have a sportmaster vynal hinge mount tonneau on my truck,it's nice because it pop's up like a trunk or if you wanted you can unsnap it and take it completely off,it also helps with the gas milage on the highway,it cost's me about $330. installed and it also makes it look nicer.topic #775 has truck photos I'm gonna try to post mine this weekend if you have the time try to post yours,there's a lot of chevy people on there I wanna show them what they're missing.

Good Luck.
  • sthigpensthigpen Member Posts: 2
    I have a regular sprotsmaster touneau cover. It looks better than the stock cover on the Lightning, I ordered mine throught the internet
    http://hoosiertruck.com
    http://hoosiertruck.com/sportmas.html
    Ordered on Thursday received on Tuesday, installed in 30 minutes.
    Has anyone found a K&N application for the Lightning? I'm still very satisfied with the performance of my fast truck.
This discussion has been closed.