Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    wins big points with me by offering standard front side impact airbags that protect both head and chest regions.

~alpha
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    Is it just me or do those parking lights on the Aveo remind you of parking lights reborn from something GM use to make like maybe the 1995-1996 Oldsmobile mini van???
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Even the new Echo is just ugly. Aside from the Toyota quality mystic, there is nothing great about that car. With rebates (at least up here), the Cavalier is actually just about the cheapest right now and you get a 140hp Ecotec. Unfortunately the interior is poor and the rest of the car is pretty old.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    libertycat,
    If you are considering its weight or interior room, I suppose the Cavalier qualifies as a subcompact. However, at 180.9" in length, the Cavalier sedan is longer than a BMW 3-series 4-door (176") or the Honda Civic sedan (174.6"), both of which are considered nothing smaller than compact. "Subpar" would be a better descriptor for the Cavalier.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    subcompact by interior space and a large exterior is even worse. interior is where compact is better and exterior is where subcompact is better. I LOVE the Echo's styling. It is beautiful, has a great interior for the price, and nice available features.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The Echo is a nice car that doesn't scream: "CHEAP!!!!!!!!" The Aveo sounds good, and with the GM card, will be pretty affordable for college kids who want a brand new car that isn't from Korea. (Well, the car IS from Korea, but college kids will think that it's an American car, since it's got that Chevy bow-tie badge.)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Americans or Koreans. I just wonder how many American people will know it's built by the former Daewoo Motors of Korea.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    You know, Chevy could jump right into the "hot hatch" segment by shoehorning the Ecotec into that Aveo..or maybe putting a supercharger in it and a funky hood scoop. And beef up the suspension of course...but who knows? It'd beat a "performance" Cavalier.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    I've been reading practically all of the posts on this board frequently and see that over 50% of the messages are about Cavalier... This is about the future Aveo. To go and talk about the next gen Cavalier (nicknamed Colbat) go to there message board it is so confusing.
    They'd probably say that GM has a factory in Korea, pumping out Aveos. Since they come from Asia, they'd say that it's pretty high quality. (Anyone's opinion is open on whether Korea's quality is HIGH Quality, but that's what sales would say to cover up the actual facts: Built in Korea by Daewoo, which is owned by GM.)
    Actually, they do have a factory in Korea. Daewoo's factory.
    Here's the math:
    $9999 base
    subtract $3000 rebate
    $6999
    subtract trade in: (1999 Honda Civic) $5000
    $1999
    subtrace CitiBank credit rebate: $1000
    out the door price: $999!!!!!!!!!!
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Can you honestly expect that they'll put a $3000 rebate on a $10,000 car? I mean these cars are barely profitable as it is, and losing 30% on rebates would surely kill profits, and possibly send the Korean GMs out the window. Look at the new Cavalier 1SV. Bottom of the barrel, only option on it is AC. $10,000-11,000. No rebates, and they may not take GM card points. Who can trust Chevy to make a reliable, well built, feature packed car for under $12,000, let alone $10,000, by themselves? GM needs to think twice before slapping rebates on these things.
    The thing about GM is that they ALWAYS build room for rebates into their MSRP. THey figure if they don't use them then it's extra profit. Think about it. The top of the line Aveo is gonna cost almost as much as a top of the line Elantra GT. But it competes with the ACCENT, not the ELANTRA. There's probably going to be a $1000 rebate somewhere along the line, especially if it doesn't sell like they're expecting
    Cavalier:
    Stripped, stick, Air: $11K
    Rebate: (2004) $3000
    Trade: (99' Civic) $5000
    Credit Card Rebate: $1000
    Out the Door Price: $2000
    that's no Negotiating too!!!!!!

Aveo:
    Loaded, Automatic, hatch: $12K
    Rebate: $2500
    Trade: $5000
    Credit Card rebate: $1000
    Out the door price, No negotiating: $3500

See the math? My dealer says that the 04 Cavalier already has a $3000 rebate slapped to it, whatever trim you buy, you get a $3000 rebate. A loaded Aveo shouldn't cost more than $12K, and that's already Spectra/Elantra prices. A stripped down Cavalier shouldn't be more than $11K, Rio/Accent levels. The new Cobalt slots above the Aveo, and the Aveo will take the place where the base Cavalier currently goes for, the $9995-$12,995 category. The Cobalt takes over from there.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Who in their right mind would trade a late-model Civic on a Cavailer?
    I wouldn't trade my 99' Civic for a Cavalier/Aveo. I'd much rather trade for a Acura TL, Suzuki Verona, or any other nice car costing nearly $27K. (the TL is $33K)

So here's the math for a bozo who would trade a 99' Civic for a cavalier/Aveo:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr. Base
    Base price: $11,000
    Minus:
    Rebate: $3000
    Trade: $5500
    Credit Card rebate: $1000
    Total: $1500

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr. Base
    base price: $9999
    Minus:
    Rebate: $2000
    trade: $5500
    Credit Card Rebate: $1000
    Total: $1499
    He,he, he... the Aveo is 1 dollar cheaper than the Cavalier.
    it will start hitting the showrooms in December and be available to the public starting in Jan.of 2004 as a 2004 model. It will start at a $9995 base and will come in two trim levels, a 4-door and a 5-door. This was a news release tonight but it's probably review to most of us regulars here at Edmunds who have been discussing Aveo for literally months in the various Daewoo threads here.

got one today. The automatic transmission has a very interesting system. When you get to the gear you want in the transmission, you can hit a HOLD button next to the shifter and keep it in that gear. Sounds kind of like the system in the new Malibu. This could be used as some sort of a psuedo-Shiftronic. And that's impressive for a $10K car. (whoops. I mean $9999)
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    9995!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I just received an update indicating that the Aveo is no longer a "future" vehicle as of October 8. Guess that's when they start shipping?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm off by $4. Still, that hold feature is pretty interesting.
    is probably finalizing the little road warriors as we type these messages. One of the things they're talking about over on the Kia Sorento threads is too much air pressure in the factory tires. Apparently they're filling them with 50 lbs. of air pressure so the tires don't get a flat spot while shipping over here. Makes sense IF YOUR DEALER REMEMBERS TO TAKE THE EXTRA AIR OUT OF THE TIRE BEFORE THEY HAND IT OVER TO YOU...! Just something to keep in mind if you snag one of these little cuties off a Chevy lot. Hey, there's a Chevy dealer here in my home town. I get to go see the new Aveo's up close and personal in just a few short months. They're available to test drive in Jan.'04.

HEY MAN! 4 DOLLARS MAY BE THE DECIDING FACTOR IN THIS PRICE SENSITVE MARKET SEGMENT!!!!!!
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I am not sure GM is prepared to give Aveo the chance it deserves. The cars looks and features seems good to me. But, when you compare warranties in a price segment where cash matters,it seems that GM may be placing a stumbling block in the way of sales.As much as I like the Aveo, I don't know if I would let myself buy in with the 3 year 36,0000 mile warranty.With Huyndai being an established player in the low end, and Suzuki,(have to keep an eye on), having longer warrnaties I don't really understand the logic. I think people are not stupid and won't let the emotion of a very cute car get in the way of hey where's the rest of my warranty.Time will tell.
    you are sooo funny. Yes, $4 may be a deciding factor. It could be the difference between a Cavalier and an Aveo!!!!!!!!
    lol! A Cavalier would be a step down.
    A Rio would be a step up from a Cavalier!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got an Aveo brochure a few days ago.. Must have misplaced it.....
    Cavalier
    Base MSRP: $10,995
    Rebates: $3000
    Credit Card Cash Back: $1000
    out the door price: $1495
    Monthly payment: $24.92 (0% financing for 60 months)
    Aveo:
    Base MSRP: $9995
    Rebate: $2000
    Credit Card cash back: $1000
    Out the door price: $1495
    Monthly Payment: $24.92 (same terms as above)
    He, he, he.... Both cost the same in the end. Depends on whether you want a rebadged Korean car or a more American (built in the states, designed in the states) car.
    todays paper had ads for new Rios at 5495 (including Kia loyalty discount and military discount).

I wonder if the Aveos will see similar price gashing.

DOUBLE BLIND GM CARD REBATES!
    Aveo I'd be interested in buying one, for sure. I am really impressed with this new car.

'"The recently announced alliance with General Motors has secured the future of exciting new models such as the Kalos which will take the Daewoo marque to new levels,"' he said.

That comment comes from somebody who has researched first-hand about this new economy car and has seen that it truly is NOT just another also-ran and is a car with a lot of intelligence built into it as well as foresight. It's not a matter of "does this car offer enough automobile for the money and solid engineering?" rather it's "is there an American market for this car?"
        If there is not an American market for this car then GM Daewoo Auto & Technology will rental-fleet it and be done with it. It's not complicated at all. I for one see a market in the U.S. for this little economy car. All we need to see is Chevy offer handsome rebates and this car will sell.
         Oh, for those of you who believe that this car is just junk and to be scrapped, I would re-think your thinking. Remember a little car called the Geo Prizm? That car fit the economic times very well and sold very well. Anybody notice how many strikes there have been lately? Anybody out there who thinks things are going REALLY well economically right now? The Aveo will no doubt fit VERY well into MANY American's budgets. Here is a small car with real promise and it's here now. Very cool indeed.

I would not expect much of a rebate on the Aveo.I knoe that Kia has rebates on Rio and probably Hyndai on the Accent,but the Aveo being new may not match those rebates. I do think GM will make it harder to sell the Aveo if they are down on rebates and powertrain warranty. I am not sure but I think Canada may get a better powertrain warranty than the states.Without a decent warranty, the choice would be to move up to Suzuki Forenza,or a Hyndai car.For those who don't keep the car over 3 years ,it is not such an issue except for transferrable warranties.I would miss the hatch utility of the Aveo though.
    If you want the Aveo hatch yet want a nice warranty, Hyundai has your car. The Elantra GT for $14K. Leather too.
    Yeah, the LS version of the Aveo seems pretty overpriced when compared to the Elantra GT, doesn't it? $14k for the Aveo vs $16.8k for the Elantra....using Edmunds TMV, and maxing out both equipment levels. A $2000 difference ins't a whole lot, and the cars have similar equipment, though the Elantra is MUCH bigger (and has independent rear suspension, rear discs, rear stabilizer bar, leather...Aveo has none of this apparently)

Of course, the Aveo is actually supposed to compare with the Accent, but one can't get the Accent with ABS or a sunroof (much less an MP3 player)...which I guess WOULD be a selling point on the Aveo, if it handles as nice as an Accent (which is a decent car with nice, accurate, direct steering IMHO).

What's going to be interesting is finding out exactly how many cars of each trim level show up on dealer lots...that'll show where Chevy expects (and wants) the car to sit. If it's a lot of LS level cars then they still don't care about competing price-wise with things like Accent and Rio (Using Base and Special Value the same way honda uses the DX...as a number to advertise to get people in the door, then sell them up).

Since these things are manufactured in Korea, I wonder how that will affect the way they sell them? usually if you want a Chevy with a particular trim level, color, and equipment list, they can send the order to the factory and you can get it...would they be able to do this with the Aveo?
    No I don't think the Aveo and the Elantra match up well.I would pit the Forenza angainst the Elantra.I would be looking at a cheap car that I could possibly keep a while. the point I was making is that without a better powertrain warranty, Chevy is not matching the price of the Accent,for people that keep the car more than three years.I only buy products warranted by the manufactuer. If you are paying for a car for 4 or 5 years and you have a powertrain repair to pay out of pocekt, that could of been covered by a better powertrain warranty, You may have to park the car awhile.I think Aveo will be a great product and a good fit for those who don't have the above concerns.
    is indeed the warranty. How many years will it be, how comprehensive will it be and will Chevy dealers try to gouge more for the same warranty but act like you really need more of a warranty. The Kia dealer pitched an extended warranty to me on my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 and I had to ask myself, why would I want that? The Long-Haul is just for that very purpose. It's just another way to burn the consumer but it's a dealer thing...not a flame against Kia. It's not even a flame against the Kia dealer I bought the Sportage from it's just an opinion about the blitzkrieg of advertising we have to re-direct all of the time. There's always someone trying to make a dishonest buck out there, eh?

the 99' Civic Value Package sure got me in to buy a car. Drove out 2 days later in a 99' Emerald Green Honda Civic Value Package. Honda has another Value Package for the Civic. the Aveo should come with a SVP. (Special Value Pack)
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Only 3 yrs or 36000 miles for a warranty?
    I'm sorry GM,but that isn't long enough. I was thinking of an Aveo because I really like the hatchbacks styling. If you look up Kalos Blue on the net you will see what the Aveo could look like in sport trim. I doubt many in the market for a small car would buy one with out the long warranty Hyundai,Kia and Suzuki offer.Leave it to GM to muck up a good thing.
    probably wouldn't be a deciding factor for me as I consider most cars under $10K new to be in the disposable group with all the Cavaliers, Rios, Accents, Metros, and Suzuki Swifts of the world.
    I drive a lot of miles in one year (16-20K miles) and the warranty will run out fast no matter what.
    TOTALLY scare you off from buying an Aveo. Although Kia and Hyundai have the great Long-Haul Warranty, who's to say that the Aveo you buy won't last a long time? Daewoo's are no more apt to fail in their powertrain or other components than Kia or Hyundai powertrain or component parts IMO. I am obviously a conniseur of Kia products(I'm on my 2nd and really could have gone for many, many more moons in my Sephia but got the early trading itch and traded it in for my '01 Sportage 4x4, which I love even more than the Sephia)but I have no data whatsoever to come up with that says that a new GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. vehicle stands a better than average chance of failing somehow too early. Chev SHOULD step up to the plate with a bigger Louisville Slugger, though, IMO, and offer a 6 year, 80,000 mile warranty , or something to that effect. That they don't is one of the reasons I switched to Kia. If you buy an Aveo, please come back to this board and post how it's going with it, OK, chrisducati? I remain somewhat interested in this handsome little offering, which is essentially completely a Daewoo automobile.

Warranty is one of my smallest priorities for a new car. I'd much rather have a car with side airbags and a 12,000M Warranty than a car without airbags at all and a 1,000,000M warranty.
    a bit and would you take a look at this:

http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=618#

They did a good job with the taillights but I'd probably leave out the rest of the bodykit if I bought one. I like the neon-limey green color as well.
    Fun at SEMA!!!!

Did they actually juice up the engine at all? Performance upgrades were implied, but they never stated that specifically.

That lower body kit has to go...it would never survive the roads here. People buy Outbacks here...heh. I like performance, and LOVE what they're talking about in this thing, but I HATE those low suspensions...the chassis is going to get scraped right off on my complex's speed bumps.
    Chevy Aveo is fit for show and maybe a bit of light track-running. It's true, with that low kit it wouldn't last on American roads. I think GM knows that-it's just for fun. I don't know if they've modded the engine for SEMA-somebody would have to look into that further.
        As for Holden's coming here, I'd say bring 'em on-GM's current stable is abbreviated and dull IMO. Heave 'em ho! This SEMA activity is good for GMDA&TCO bid-ness IMHO!

could use a turbo charger...
    tuned here for SEMA. Of course, I mean the stock version of Aveo. I'm curious how much get up and go they have stock.

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    whats wrong with GM?? can they really compete with such a small warranty?? nope! the aveo is from korea, and the other two korean car companies..KIA AND HYUNDAI..have ten years!!!! omg..they need to bring it up a notch!! at least make it seven years..
    wrong with the American consumer who LOVES huge, obnoxious SUV's that take up too much space, gas and attention. THAT'S the problem. Inflated American ego's need inflated, HUGE SUV's to bully their way around American roads so GM doesn't have to make a quality small car for sale here. Think about it for a second-that's what's happening here. GM is and always has been(atleast since 1972 or so when they stopped making interesting cars)about making a buck. The gullible American consumer is eating right up this HUGE pickup and SUV thing so their way is paved for them by the consumer.
        Oh, the Chevy Aveo! Looking forward to it's inception here! Over! GM doesn't have to offer a good warranty on Aveo because they don't have to make money on them and can fleet-sell them off to rental car companies. It's a good thing they're available along with Kia's and Hyundai's or the American car situation would REALLY BE BLEAK. Yikes.

This discussion has been closed.