Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• quilt_bearquilt_bear Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, i have a 2004, we had it since last october. Though all around a great car, our mileage sucks. So, its been into the shop about 6 times now for nothing they can't seem to find. Anyways, we are getting about 21 MPG city and about 28 MPG highway. The recall has been done on our computer, something about recallibrating the shifting of the gears. They wiped the computer and installed a newer version for the gear shifting. Well that did improve the MPG but so little, in the some 10000 k's we have on it, i think its about 0.3 MPG difference. SO, i am in the arguement phase with the dealer and maintenance people. They think this is no big deal, and i am quite annoyed, as my dad gets better gas mileage in his GM Savana!!! At this point i am looking to dump the thing, for the cost of gas i could have a bigger car payment and a bigger car!

SO, i am looking for any tips, ideas and what not that i can go to the dealer with to get them to do something about it.

THanks in advance!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    for export worldwide...is the one coming to the U.S. going to look like that one Chevy is posting on the net? The copper colored one, four doors, built by cheap Chinese labor? If so, it looks more appealing than the initial set of Aveo's that came here.

http://economy.autoblog.com/forward/entry/1234000240040579/

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Iluv-- Since the Chinese car looks a lot more Chevy than the present sedan I would say yes, but I'm guessing the 07 model year as they'll try to get another round out of the original. I hope the hatch (easily the better of the two IMO) continues. Sorry to see the Accent hatch bite the big one.

Speaking of the Aveo hatch, they're attacking your first gen. Sportage over in the Aveo hatch boards. I hope you stand up.

Has Pierre been hot enough for you. Read that it was 108 the other day in Rapid City. Hope your Sportage didn't backfire and start some of those forest fires. :shades:
    my Sportage 4x4 didn't backfire and start any of the Rapid City fires! The Sportsman is running like a top, thank you very much! I continue to be impressed by it's reliability and good looks, and good paint job, too.

Pierre was 106 over the weekend, the hottest temperature I've ever had the displeasure of living through! :D

But unlike Missouri it won't hang around. The only thing that gets temps up that high in SD is compression winds. 106 with about a 30 mile an hour wind blowing at you is a strange sensation.
  • stergiosstergios Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone!
    I have a 2004 Aveo and never subjected it to much stress. All of a sudden, today, I noticed that the yellow "check engine" light staid on. I wonder what do I have to do? The driver's handbook says it's a warning sign that something might go wrong in the near future... but it nevertheless too opaque about what this might be. Any ideas? The car has been serviced 500 miles ago. Should I just shrug it off?
    sometimes this is caused by not tightening the gas cap the requisite three clicks. Even if you re-tighten the cap it will take several cool down cycles to reset itself.
  • stergiosstergios Member Posts: 2
    Thank you SO much, that seemed to be the problem!
    I had no idea about that!
    You were 100% correct!
    Thanks again!
  • blendengblendeng Member Posts: 12
    I bought the 2005 Aveo with 777 miles with automatic for 9600 and thought that I had a good deal. But after driving it for 1k miles, I notice that I am getting around 24miles overall highway/city driving. Thought I would be getting more miles per gallon on this. But, I have a question: Does anyone know what is the tire pressure for the Aveo? I couldnt find it in the book.

Thanks.
  • jeffdavisjeffdavis Member Posts: 11
    Chevrolet has shifted to the 2006 Aveo on their site. You can even build one yourself. www.chevrolet.com/aveo
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I finally saw a 2006...same old car with some changes on the LT model. The have added a satin finish around the speedometer and the tachometer and on the air vents ....and they have a 15-inch wheels option. The wheels are a nice option..I might get some for my 04.
    just looks like the '05. That picture of the 2006 Chevy Aveo 4-door sedan that is being built in China evidently won't be making the boat trip over here to the States. Oh well-the old model is still a solid buy, IMO, with good, unique looks to it. It's heartening that it's built by Daewoo (under GM's control)and not by Chevy.

• byarsbyars Member Posts: 3
    MOST OF MY DRIVING IS IN TOWN AND LATELY IT HAS BEEN ALL WITH A/C RUNNING (20MPG). NOT HAPPY! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS AND WHAT IMRROVEMENT WILL BE WITHOUT A/C? THANKS
  • groth12345groth12345 Member Posts: 17
    I am buying a base Aveo sedan. Price is $8700 after rebates/incentives. On top of that I am applying $2500 in GM card savings. Where can you buy a new car today for $6200?

My test drive impressions are surprisingly more interior room than expected, comfortable driving position, easy clutch/shifting (not rubbery like others have posted but super long throws), superb fit/finish even better than some Japanese cars, good acceleration, quality interior materials, and a lot of storage.
    Mine was marked down back in march to $9300 plus the $3000 that I put down it was a good deal.

I agree with you the throws are kind of long but not rubbery.......

To the previous post getting only 20mpg. How do you get it that low?????,even with the a/c on in this Texas heat, I will still get 27-29 around town....
  • aveo_bobaveo_bob Member Posts: 8
    I thought the limit on the Aveo was 1000. I only had 900 on my card to use so the limit didn't come into effect, but I'm curious to see how you got around that. :confuse:
    The original GM Gold card (mine dates back to 1994) is good for up to $3500 total ($500 max per year up to 7 years) off the Aveo (and all other eligible GM cars...not Saturn) with no limitations. I don't even know if they offer this card anymore. The Platinum GM card currently offered does have a limit of $1000 on the Aveo.
    Anyone think this is a good deal? Extended warranty to 5 years 60K miles Bumper to Bumper. This is above and beyond the 3/36 and 5/60 power train. The dealer offered it at cost at $475 (or supposedly $25 over cost). I don't know if the extended warranty is transferable....that's a key point.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    We've had our Aveo for 10 months and 13,000 miles - no problems yet. Although I admit that the window roller handles do sometimes fall off. For $475, I think I would probably buy the extra 2 years.

Wish I had an extra 2 years on my Civic Si...
  • ratsoferrariratsoferrari Member Posts: 20
    I bought my aveo at the end of june and got the salesman to come down to $300 for the extended warranty the price is always negotiable like I told the salesman it was like pulling teeth trying to get repairs with my toyota warranty so I could take it or leave it.
  • jerseydriverjerseydriver Member Posts: 5
    Hello.
    I'm interested in purchasing an Aveo. Can not make up my mind for a 5 speed or automatic. I know each has its pros and cons.

Any sugestions?

Thanks
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    A manual will give you better mileage and not require as soon the expensive overhauling an automatic will,but I'd still say that unless you genuinely enjoy the hand/foot interplay of a manual,I'd go for the automatic.

That said,I just got my first manual four years ago, and I'm loving it! I think the manual adds a good deal of fun to ever mundane driving. I have driven a manual Aveo,and i liked it very much. I'd still say you have to really think it's fun....you have to shift far too many times every day to think it's just a smart economy move.....
    Thank you for your reply.

My last manual was a 1984 Dodge Omni.
    Also I guess I can squeeze a couple of more miles per gallon,
    even in stop and go traffic than an automatic.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!
    I live in jersey too and have an automatic aveo. I used to drive a toyota truck with a shift but the automatic is a lot easier in stop and go traffic.No need to explain driving conditions to you if you live in Bruce Springsteen country.The gas mileage all depends on your driving habits whether you have an auto or manual.
    Does the automatic have a fair amount of acceleration being it is a small four?
    The EPA raitings which of course is not real world conditions only rate a difference of one mile per gallon between the different types of transmissions.

I see that Pinebelt has a total of ten left in their lot.
  • newbie14newbie14 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a Aveo tonight....an LT automatic...anything I should look out for? I have a Sunfire now, I'm not happy with it...I'm hoping the Aveo is better....Couldn't see much better in the price range in the comparison.
  • colepcolep Member Posts: 3
    I drive the same mileage (40 miles one way) to work at two different locations, mostly highway driving with my 2005 Aveo auto/air. One location takes me through a 4 mile section of red lights, the other has one stop light. I get 36 mpg with one stop light and 32 with all the stop lights. If 8 miles of stop and go driving makes 4 mpg change, then the Aveo w/auto is not a good in town car. Others that I have talked with, that drive in town get 32 with their manual.

See #719 of 734 I wish I had your Aveo by lipreader Aug 31, 2005 (2:12 pm) in the "Chevy Aveo (hatchback)" forum.
    yeah, the auto trans has good acceleration if you are driving mostly on level roads. If you are going up hills the engine and auto trans have to work harder to get up the hill. I don't think the manual would make much of a difference.The highest hills around me are in Atlantic Highlands and Highlands near Sandy Hook.Pinebelt in Eatontown had a good amount of Aveos on the lot most were 2005 models so you might be able to get a good deal on one.
  • thx1138thx1138 Member Posts: 6
    I have a chance to get a 2005 LT sedan auto with 5k miles on it. While sparing you the details, all I can say is that the person selling it is a friend of mine and I know it is in great shape and that I will get a price "at or below wholesale."

My challenge is deciding whether I want to spend less money up front for what appears to be a good example of a decent car -- or whether I want to spend perhaps double the amount on a new or similarly low-mileage Corolla or Golf.

I am a little concerned that the Aveo has a poor resale value when compared to the other cars I am considering. However, this goes in my favor right now because I can acquire the vehicle at a price well below retail.

I don't know whether or not the car will be financed. Probably so, but I would hope to pay down the principal sooner rather than later.

Most of my driving is to and from work (less than 10 miles round trip) and to the grocery store, Best Buy :-) and other such places. I might occasionally have a big dog in the back seat or a passenger every once in a while. Maybe 5 times a year I would take a 12 hour trip on the interstate.

Help me make up my mind. When I look at the Corolla or Golf reports, I see they are "excellent" choices whereas the Aveo depreciates quicker and is a little cheezier than the other two (let's face it, they're right about the cheeziness.)

When I read other forums about people raving about their Golfs and Corollas, I can't help but think they are paying much more to "get in the game." Sure their cars will hold their value better than the Aveo, and they may get a tad better gas mileage than the Aveo.

Any comments or insight will be appreciated. This is my first post to this forum, so please "be gentle."
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sci-fi fan, eh? :D

A few thoughts:

* The car has one year of depreciation (since the 2006s are out now) so it should be priced accordingly. And as you probably know, cars take their biggest hit on value in the first year.

* How long do you plan on keeping it? If it's for over 4 years or so, depreciation will start favoring the Aveo--plus you'll have a lot less invested up front.

* Do you like how the Aveo drives compared to the Corolla and Jetta? Do you think you could put up with it for 12 hours, 5 times a year? Maybe your friend would let you take it on a long drive one weekend (you pay for gas, wear/tear) so you can see how you like it. Also, some rental car companies carry Aveos for a low rate so you could rent one and try it on a long drive. Also, take a long test drive in the Corolla because its driving position can be uncomfortable for taller people and even many averaged-sized people (like 5'10" me).

* One area where the Corolla and Jetta have a distinct advantage over the Aveo is on crash tests. Both the Corolla (with side air bags!) and Jetta really shine in the tough IIHS crash tests. If that is important to you, it could be worth the extra bucks.

* How important is it to you (and how much is it worth to you) to own a car that is basic transportation (sorry, Aveo fans, that's what I think it is) vs. a very refined small car like the Jetta, or something in between like the Corolla?

* How important is reliability to you? The Corolla has a rock-solid record there. The Jetta does not have a good history but this is an all-new model (which could be considered an even greater risk). The Aveo is in between.

Basically, what you need to do is write down what is important to you in your next car, and rate each of the cars against those criteria. Be sure to specify "must haves" (if the car doesn't have it or do it, it's out of the picture) vs. "nice to haves". Also figure out what you could do with all that extra money that you would NOT spend on the Aveo.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the thoughts, Backy. I have been kind of schizophrenic with my vehicles and my wants/needs overr the past decade. I did the family thing with mini vans, the macho thing with a large 4x4 F150, the exec thing with a Lexus 400, and the yuppie thing with the Jeep Liberty. Right now the spouse's car is a fairly new Toyota MR2 Spyder.

I bought a 2000 Hyundai Accent last month with just 27k on it. Very spartan but IMO a smart choice on many levels. I just resold it to a family member more in need of cheap, reliable transportation.

The spouse insists on power windows/door locks. Other than that, she will "sign off" on whatever I want -- within reason. A Jetta, Vibe and other pricier models have not been ruled out.

Truth is, I don't know how long I will keep it. I just know I want to be a tightwad this time around.

In my area, the few used Corollas I have seen are outrageously priced. Ditto for the VWs. Also, I lack confidence in my local VW dealership.
    If you liked the Accent OK, then the Aveo should be just fine for you. It is clear that you don't need to be pretentious in your cars.
    You hit the nail on the head - pretentious. But on a more psychologically-complex level, I am wondering if I am trying to make a statement about my unpretentiousness by choosing an Aveo.
    In that case, you should get something like a BMW 330i, just to prove to people that it's not important to you to drive a fancy car, but you are above the need to demonstrate that to people by driving an unpretentious car like the Aveo.

This is getting very complicated.
    Yes, confusion reigns. I am also thinking about trading in my 20 year-old Schwinn racing bike for a mountain/urban bike and pedal to/from work (3.6 miles one way.)

If I do that, I might just have to keep the 99 Caravan -- despite it completely filling up my side of the garage :)
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I've actually looked at an Aveo...There's something appealing about it,even though as a car guy,I'm used to driving more delux cars.

It's very spacious for its small footprint,for one thing,and I admire that.

I wish GM would put another $2,000 in it,though...
    if you are using a car for mostly around town driving I would go with the aveo.It is great for basic transportation.Why spend twice as much for other cars that are also losing their value every day? The aveo is easy to park, maneuver, and is good on gas. The cabin is roomy and quiet for those few long trips you are planning. With the LT you have air conditioning and an mp3 player.I use a mountain bike on nice days to go to the bank, buy beer, and food.Everything I really need is 1-3 miles away.The mountain bike is more rugged than a racing bike and holds up better when you hit those bumps and potholes especially here in NJ.
    Thanks, Ratso, for your thoughts. I was actually thinking about the kind of bike the cops ride around here. I don't think they are too expensive because the city I live in is pretty cheap with their expenditures.

Right now, my thinking is that if the used Aveo I am thinking about priced right, I will get it. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I may still consider an Aveo, but it will probably be a brand new hatchback.
    the cops that patrol the Henry Hudson bike trail in Middletown use Cannondale mountain bikes I believe.My 05 Aveo hatchback is due for bike rack in the near future.
  • chrispecorarochrispecoraro Member Posts: 2
    Okay, so I bought a used 2004 Aveo (purchased originally new in January 2005) with 15,000 miles for $8225 and I've tested it pretty well at this point....

Here are my thoughts--

pros:

-Assembled overseas w/Korean Engine & Japanese Transmission (Usually I don't buy American)--more Foreign than a Honda.
    -CHEAP! if you can find a used 2004 for $6500-$8300 you can really pay it off quickly (24 mos. or less).
    -pretty good gas mileage (around 25-35 mix of city/highway), better if you're a master with the stick.
    -EASY to park (I squeezed easy into those parallel half-spaces left by surburban SUV's)
    -fun to drive if you buy the stick....a real race car at Red Lights.
    -EASY to find parts because it's GM
    -28 months left on the warranty
    -don't have to wait until Spring for the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, or Toyota Yaris.
    -Italian designed (Giugiaro -Italdesign)...looks A LOT like a Fiat Punto--with reason!!
    -still novel enough for people to say "what is that, a Fiat?"
    -enough space for 5 people...yes, pretty hard to believe!!
    -Cheaper than Hyundai, Cheaper than a Kia...
    cons:
    -I don't expect to sell this car in 3 or 4 years for more than $1500 or so.
    -Manual Locks and you have to lock the driver's side door from the outside with the key.
    -First and Second Gear rev to 3000 rpm too quickly, you need to change gears to third to go more than 25 MPH.
    -Air Conditioner takes a lot of power (but then again, so did my Civic and my impreza)
    -bad side crash rating
  • dsr70dsr70 Member Posts: 1
    Crazy Q I know. But my brother and mom were driving in a 2006 rented Aveo sedan and were cited for going 99 on a flat section of freeway. They swear to me they were not.

So, what is the top speed? I'm having a hard time finding info on Google. What, no drag numbers for the Aveo from C&D? I want to put some specs together for their appearance in traffic court. It doesn't seem possible for a 103HP vehicle with two large people and luggage to go that fast.

Thanks, Doug
    I got mine up to 100 before losing nerve and slowing back down on a flat bit of hiway in O.K.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Anyone else experiencing persistent crunching from the suspension -- only at low speeds in town, especially parking lots and turning corners/braking?

I know others have complained of this -- it's damn annoying to pull up to a gas station with this symphony of creaks and groans loud enough to turn heads. It screams "Look at me. I'm a POS."

Just had it at the dealer Friday. They followed a service bulletin to lubricate lower contol arm bushings. Charged me $90 and it didn't help one bit. They have no other suggestions and no manufacturers makes beefier shocks/struts for this model. All Chevy can do is replace with the same junk they originally come with.

Even the worst cars I have owned in the past didn't have this problem which started at 18k miles and is getting worse.

Not too confidence inspiring!

Currently have 42K miles on 2004 sedan and would not recommend for anyone expecting to put a lot of miles on it. Feels flimsy and likely to be somewhat unreliable over the long term.

wave54
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I don't know but the way some people explain their case, it seems like chevy is not covering aveo warranty at all. i hope you just have an extremly bad chevy dealer. i think i will wipe aveo off my list just to be safe.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    I can't speak for all Chevy dealers, but some surely treat this car as a waste of their time when there's big money to be made selling and servicing row after row of Tahoes and full-size pickups that go for 30k and up.

The dealer that I bought mine from no longer stocks any. They seem to overlook the fact that people step up from sub-compacts to larger vehicles, usually of the same brand. If people buy Hyundais and Scions today, they won't be shopping for GM vehicles down the road.

The Aveo is being treated like an orphan brand -- I doubt it will be around too long. I've heard rumors that 2008 is the last year for the model.
  • byarsbyars Member Posts: 3
    i have about 6,000 miles on this car. the mileage stinks! i am 70 years old and drive conservatively.
    the mileage has been around 20 to 22mph. 22 is with some highway miles included. i get no help from the dealer. the mph is a long way from the 26 to 34 on the sticker. i am so ashamed of the thing that i lie about my mileage when people say "i bet the mileage is great"
    other people say their aveo mileage is great, i wonder if they are streching the truth also! i know people with buick lasabres getting better the i am! help!
  • rebel3rebel3 Member Posts: 1
    You described what I am experiencing with my 2004 sedan Aveo perfectly. I started to hear the crunchy,creeky sound at about 17000 miles and it does seem to be getting worse. I was planning on taking mine to the dealer over the Thanksgiving holidays. If anyone has found a solution to this problem I would like to hear about it. Thanks.
  • izzy70izzy70 Member Posts: 2
    is anyone noticed a noise when you turn on the a/c and is your mat slipping under the pedals. went to my dealership and they told to submit to gm and i did. GM told to take it to another dealership and get an 2nd opinion. my service rep replaced the mat clip but didn't work , gm said get the 2nd opinion then we'll talk. i believe they are just pushing me aside. oh! i talked to GM extended warranty, they told me for $2,225 (pending mileage on your aveo)5 year 125,000 mile bumper to bumper?? they suppose to be giving this warranty later in the new cars, have to ask exactly when though.
  • token1token1 Member Posts: 3
    :D My little 05 Aveo has been flawless so far and my beginning mileage has averaged 32mpg city and highway mix. I have the five speed and shift accordingly to take full advantage of the gear ratios. It's not a sports car nor ever intended to be but kinda fun to drive. It's a little unsteady on a windy day but corrects quick for any sway. I drive it conservatively around town yet on the freeway it will go 80mph without any complaints keeping in mind the rpms are still far below redline. This is a high rpm engine and should be driven as such with the dual overhead cams. Due to the weight of the car and profile etc at high speeds it seems a little unstable so oversteering could be an issue. Time will tell but with proper preventive maintenance I'm sure I'll get my money's worth before it becomes obsolete.
    refresh our memories, does the Chevy Aveo come with power steering or variable power assist steering? Anybody else that knows feel free to chime in and answer.

GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Company have done a good job with the Aveo but improvement could still be made, as indicated by following this forum for months and months.

If America isn't going to get the redesign shown at Auto Shows several months back then which new design will the States get and what years is it going to come out?

This discussion has been closed.