Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy GT- Is a turbo coming soon?

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Same here, gimme a nice, grippy cloth seat, with manual adjustments, too. Save weight and cost there.

Or, if they do make the GT full-on luxury, at least offer a decontented "GT Sport" model, like the Baja Sport.

-juice
  • impreztonimprezton Member Posts: 9
    I'm not ashamed to say that I prefer leather. It's easier to clean, but it takes extra maintenence. The only reason that I would want cloth manual seats is to put in some more aggressive leather buckets. Katskinz (sp?) will surely have a kit to buy rear seat cover. This is my favorite:

http://www.subesports.com/products/?cartID=20030902155237205.217.- 237.36&cat=Seating&brand=Cobra&prodID=204
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I too like seats that grip well. In fact I'd be happy if the seats were upholstered in Velcro. Might be tough to get out of however, not to mention noisy. :)

Bob
    The Ecsaine on the STi is awesome, but probably expensive. So give me cheap ol' cloth.

-juice
  • sube555lgtsube555lgt Member Posts: 78
    I said I want to be first on my list at my dealership. 05 Wagon or Sedan (if I can flip for a wagon) in silver with the 6MT and cloth if available, will settle for leather though. I'm excited! Sort of can't wait to get rid of my 97 GT, long story of issues stemming in the last 2 months (before that she had been great.) Cummon Subaru, money in hand.
  • impreztonimprezton Member Posts: 9
    If the seat fits you right, you could be sitting on slime and you won't move around. Maybe in an STi, I think it would be great to have a leather & Escaine/Alcantara interior like the S4 did. Maybe offer black/blue, black/silver, or black/black.

While we're talking about our wish list, somebody get in touch with Subaru to make them offer a dark gray paint! How is it that they don't offer this on any car? In copying Porsche's seal gray, it could be dolphin gray. I can't think of an good rally inspired color, but maybe British. How about London Sky? ;) I'm kidding on the names but dangit, I like dark gray colors- dark and neutral but not such a biotch to clean like black.
    Yes, a dark gray, maybe a light metallic blue too.

-juice
    I 3rd the dark grey. Sorta like this...

http://www.ignitecreative.com/budi/wrx1.jpg

That would be one heck of a popular color IMHO.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    i just wanted to chime in on the seat thing. See, I DEMAND a power driver's seat. And its not because I want the power adjustment. Hell, I find that kind of annoying because it moves so damned slow and its just more crap to break. HOWEVER, it has to do with the design of these things. For some silly reason, power seats have more fore/aft travel than their manual counter parts as well as more tilt travel. So in order for me to be comfortable in a car it has to have a power seat because that is the only way it moves far enough for me to get in there and be comfortable for more than an hour at a time. So, anyway, just because someone wants a power seat doesn't mean they want it just for luxury.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Never thought about that, but then again I don't need the seat all the way back, usually.

Cool color, call it gunmetal.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    The only thing I can say is that the manual seat in my '96 OBW had more aft travel (don't know about fore) than the power seat in my '03 OBW. :(

To be fair, the comparison is between different generations. However, IIRC, the '03 L-SE manual seat had more aft travel than the '03 OBW power seat.

DaveM
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    The '04 35th Anniv. (formerly know as L-SE) now has a power seat.

The L & L-SE manual seat has only fore/aft and backrest recliner adjustments. There are no lumbar or seat cushion adjustments.

DaveM
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    PPower
    Posts: 25 Since I got the post reply e-mail, thought I'd mention more about that race now that I've heard more. Keep in mind that the JDM has 30 extra ponies, but we don't know how the torque curves will compare. This is from the latest Best Motoring series in a wagon showdown. The race was 3 laps at Tsukuba circuit in Japan which is a fairly tight course, so it is going to favor balance and handling more than brute acceleration. They raced the Spec B manual and automatic against the Toyota Caldina and the RS6 Avant. After 3 laps, the order was

Legacy MT
    RS6
    Legacy AT
    Caldina

The Legacy won all three laps. It seems that the problems for the RS6 was the extreme extra weight it is carrying which led to brake fade and higher tire wear. I still have a hard time believing that the Legacy was able to not get passed in any straights, so they must be pretty short. The tests saying 5.7 second 0-60 on the Legacy I think are quite gentle runs. Kill the clutch runs to get top runs have been good for 5.2-3 seconds. With Spec B gearing, the Legacy should be only a tad slower than the STi Impreza due to the conservative output number on the STi. I'm sure the video will be on Kazaa soon or in stores to buy. Should be interesting to check out.

STi ECU tuning update (basically the same engine) - Vishnu Tuning has now tested the car with 96-97 race gas mixure and is close to 400hp and 30 ft-lbs. more than a 993 Turbo! It lights up all 4 tires just rolling on the gas, and this is just with turbo back exhaust and ECU tuning.
    Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
    09-05-2003 09:38 AM
    RS5 is heavy, plus automatic only. Still, it's more of a Q-ship than a super-sedan.

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I LOVE alcantara - have seen it used in UK-spec Forester S turbos as well as those Audis and the WRX STi. I hate to say it but I could even see myself buying a non-premium Forester XT and going for aftermarket alcantara upholstery.

I also like a dark gunmetal gray metallic, maybe with a touch of blue.

Ed
    Everyone check out the spy shots!

http://www.tunerxtreme.com/spy_photos.htm

A few things I like/don't like.

It appears we get the EDM bumper and not JDM bumper. I like the JDM bumper more.

The OB gets the good JDM turn signals wheras the Legacy's get the flashy orange turn signals.

The fog lamp housings aren't color matched like I'd rather have. That's open for debate if it's tape or not so far.

We're at least starting to get a glimpse.
  • mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    If Subaru is gonna look like a European car then act like a European car. Can someone bring the "2005 Subaru Legacy and Outback" forum back? It had 11 pages of Messages, can't go wrong with that. These new forums are like dead and all I read in these new forums is, don't want this don't want that(complains).

Now some good news: more HP
    from Sept. 2003 Popular Mechanics mag. pg. 75
    "The [non-permissible content removed] version comes with either a normally aspirated or turbo charged 2.0-liter flat four. Our car will have the bigger 2.5-liter four. A turbocharged model will follow by about six months and, if you want the extra go, it should be worth the wait: The turbo will pack nearly 280hp. Our sources within Surbaru tell us that a higher-performance Sti model with twin turbos and 350 hp will come a year later."
    Until I hear something more solid, I'll wait on the actual details. I just want them to get here so I can replace my MY97 GT.

I know they're clearing inventories of 04's, but, waiting, waiting, waiting.......
  • epp1epp1 Member Posts: 48
    ...but check this out:

http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/exterior.asp?item=23246

Ain't no way I'm dropping $60K on a S6 Avant when this is coming down the pike (in some variation).

-Sean
    Atlantic Blue Pearl for me, please. Turbo. Moonroof. Definitely wagon bodystyle.

:-)

-juice
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    juice - I'll take one of those too! And throw in the Macintosh audio while you're at it. ;-)

-Ian
    That's perfect, color and bodystyle, it's even pre-tinted. Where do I sign?

-juice
    ...said first cars are expected to be delivered early 2Q04. I can have the first if I want - no clarity yet on 6MT or 5AT availability. Also, gotta have roof rails for the bikes.

It will be sad to see my trusty 02 WRX wagon go, but she's served me well. Just want a little more room. Interested to see if the paddle shifters make it to the US markets on a 5AT. As much as I love my manual, sometimes I yearn for an AT, especially in stop and go...or when I'm trying to drink coffee, talk on my phone, wave the birdie at people, etc.

--Sean
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    from the photos and info posted on the global and Oz sites, it looks like the new Legacy has the channels and anchors in place for the roof racks, but just not the racks. the new Outback appears to just stick the racks on the existing channels. Thus, I'm assuming you can get racks and crossbars as an option on the Legacy, which I definitely need. I cant wait for the GT to get here so I can do meaningful comparison test drive between the Legacy GT,Legacy 3.0, the OB 3.0 and the Forester XT. The reports on the new sport shift auto in the new Legacy/OB and the auto in the XT have been so impressive, I am losing my fervor for a manual.

Mark
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    what a beautiful wagon it is, absolutely amazing, i wouldve gone for a mazda 6 wagon(but they are no where to be found), or a saab 95(way to pricey) so i guess i will settle for the beautiful subaru legacy wagon(make mine a turbo with 275hp and about 247 torque, and a 6sp, and let's not forget really good cup holders)
    Spent some QT at the dealer having routine stuff done to the Rex. Got some "first look" data from Nippon on the '05 Legacy GT - look for about 250hp/250ft# and a Steptronic-like AT - no paddle shifters from what I saw.

S/B <$30K. Left a check at the dealer to hold the first one. Silver w/ OE roof rails for Yak racks if available. Still targeting 5/04 availability.

Sean
  • legacy191legacy191 Member Posts: 29
    First, hello to all I'm the new guy on the block. Second my dealer is telling, As of 12-22-03, that the new legacy that is coming stateside is the spitting image of the car that was at the 03 Frankfurt Auto Show. Specs will be 250-260hp and 240-245 on torque. Our dealer in Minnesota is expecting the first one in around the first week in May 04
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Welcome to Town Hall, legacy191. If you're a Subaru fan, you'll find lots of company on these boards. Are you going to be in the market for the new Legacy?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Check out Future Models. The car is available in overseas markets already, so the shape is defined. What is left to determine is the US content levels and pricing, plus the state of tune of all the engines we'll get.

The US-Spec 2005 Legacy will debut at the Detroit Show in January, I'll be there on the 7th to see it.

-juice
    ... and you'll return with photos, lest you be lambasted. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    ..otherwise juice no more :p
    You can count on it. I may try to upload some on the 7th, but most likely I'll be focusing on sharing detailed info.

-juice
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    ...give us fold down rear seats on the sedan... ;)
    yes i'm in the market and i've done one better. my car might be delivered by the middle of June.
    05' Legacy GT Wagon. It will replace the 97' GT wagon that was totalled in 99' and replaced with a Ford Explorer.
    No fold down seats on the sedan, at least at NAIAS. :-(

They'll be ready by June.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    "No fold down seats on the sedan, at least at NAIAS. :-("

- My sentiments exactly. Though, you do not have fold-down seats in the WRX (for structural reasons), I was hoping with the Legacy GT aiming at the more upscale sedan crowd, it would at least be an option. Oh well.
    All the more reason to get the wagon. 4 times the cargo capacity, roof rack, and struts on the hatch instead of gooseneck hinges.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    What can I say? As long as the Legacy had a pass-through (for skiis) I can deal without the folded seats.
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    Two words: shaggin' wagon
    ...regardless, had a WRX wagon anyway. A sedan just seems wasteful to me if you can get the majority of the performance and way more function out of the wagon.

Shaggin' wagon? I say stabbin' cabin.

Sean
    Going to the Auto show this coming weekend. My dealer says there is a turbo wagon and sedan there. Hope to post some pics very soon..

Tony T
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
  • adaveyadavey Member Posts: 30
    is subaru ever going to make another ragtop? hope somebody knows
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Is this discussion still alive?

Maybe it could be combined with something else as the turbo's aren't coming they're HERE!

At least I think that's a turbo in my drive way...;-)

adavey - I admit I haven't been paying attention to Subaru's for ver long (the last couple years in particular), but when was the last time Subaru made a ragtop? I don't ever remember seeing one.

Cheers!
    -Ian
    Let's go ahead and close this discussion - if you want to start a brand new one speculating on the future offering of a ragtop, go right ahead!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    If that's the case with the new Legacy, then great. The only manual seat I've tried that felt good and gave me the leg support I need (to avoid resting my legs against the door and center console like in our previous Forester) was the '02 WRX. That seat felt great and all that did was adjust up and down (no tilt). So if the new Legacy came with something like that, I'd be a happy camper.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

This discussion has been closed.