Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Epica

stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Found this little gem on Wieck.com
http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_047671
A little web research and it looks like a rebadged Daewoo Magnus. What is the marketing rationale? There was word that there would be some unique Canadian models in future due to the phase out of Oldsmobile, but it looks like this one would be in direct competion with the new Malibu.

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    It's a Canada only Chevy to compete with the low end Korean makers like Kia and Hyundia. There is also the Aveo which is a sub compact. Look for very low prices on these cars. My only worry with Epica (the larger one) is that it could canabolize Malibu and Cavalier sales.
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    ...to see it in person. I assume the photo was released in advance of the Toronto Auto Show starting this week. The Magnus (IMHO) is a far cleaner more integrated design than the '04 Malibu.
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    As the "Suzuki Verona"!!
    http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_047751
    It's getting like the British badge engineering in the '60's!!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Looks a little like an Impala to me, about 3/4 scale though.
    I thought it looked a little Impalaish also.

Wonder why it's not coming to the U.S.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/03images/04epica.jpg

Apparently it will have a 2.5L DOHC I-6 making 155hp.

Sounds like it will be competing with the Malibu. Not sure why GM is releasing this one.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030213-7.htm
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    The only thing I can figure is GM expects the Malibu to be in fairly high demand state side and does not want to miss out completely in Canada.

I suppose the Epica will be somewhat less expensive and have a softer ride than the new 'bu as well.

Edmunds is becoming truly international. We now have a topic devoted to a sedan available only to Canadians. Got to like that.
    That is a plausible scenario as I'm sure it will take a while to fill the lots with new Malibus. That said, it's a long term commitment to put a car on the road so when the Malibu is in full production there will be much to choose from at the CDN Chevy lots.

Actually, my guess is that since all CDN Chev dealers are loosing their Oldsmobiles, this is an extra car that will fill the void.

No contest though, I'd spent the extra money and get the Malibu. I can't imagine the Epica being anything spectacular in terms of driving dynamics. I'll bet regfootball will like this car better than the Bu though.
    Have you seen the new Malibu in person? We had one at our car show last week. Not a bad looking car, but still looks a little too Impala to me.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Wierd that Canada gets this car and we don't. Looks like a nice cheap set of wheel a la Hyundia.
    Will see the 04 Bu and Maxx on Monday. I have taken the day off to go to the Toronto Auto Show. I will try and take digital pics and post them. Want to see this Epica Daewoo also.
    I already have pics of the 04 Bu and Max. If you want them, email me (see profile) and I will mail them to you from home. The lighting is not perfect, so I will let you know ahead of time. :0
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "I'll bet regfootball will like this car better than the Bu though."

no, actually....I don't see the point....what a better way to wreck your brand equity than to take something that is essentially a bottom feeder like a Daewoo and give it a Chevy badge....what are they thinking?

Only 155hp? gimme a break.

I guess if Kia Optimas and Hyundai Sonatas are really making a dent in the market like they are, all I can reason is that this is supposed to stem the tide of that.

But hey, GM just pumped gobs of money into Daewoo and now has to flood the world with Daewoos so they don't have to say they wasted all that money saving Daewoo......no wonder they have to sell Aveos and such now.

It will be interesting to see if this tanks the resale of the new Malibu, or actually enhances it as they seem to be in competition with each.

The back 2/3 of the car looks ok, but the front end is ugly...looks like an I35 Infiniti that mated with a Hyundai Sonata.......

Seems to me they could tackle the value segment of the market easier by have decently priced base Malibus. By the way Dindak, those swooshes, while I still don't like them, I am not so vehemently against them.....I am mellowing a bit on them.

TOO BAD I CAN'T CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY ROOF RAILS ON THE EPICA!!!!!

With GM rebadging all these Daewoos nowadays how long will it be before we see Saturn selling rebadged Daewoos?
    Actually a lot the major car makers (notably Ford and Toyota) are looking to do what GM is doing as there is a huge and growing market for cheap cars. Hyundia and Kia are cashing in as making cars in Korea is dirt cheap. This is a cheap way for GM to hit back so I guess it's a good idea. Like you said, my worry is this midsizer will suck away some Malibu sales.

You'll have to come up to the Toronto show and take a look! ;-)
    1. Vue4two: The Aveo will be available in the US as a Suzuki.

Reg:

2. GM hardly pumped gobs of money into Daewoo. It bought two factories with a combined anual capacity of 500k units for under 400 million. Compare this with the 400 million GM is spending to retool the Lordstown plant where it will be able to make only about 260k units of the Cavalier replacement per year.

3. Given that GMDAT only has capacity to make 500k units per year, and that GMDAT has designs on an expanded role in Korea and China, it is not likely there will be any more Korean rebadges than what we see today.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Epica disappear in a few years as demand from Asia increases. The car should keep people who often switch from say a Cavalier to an Elantra. They have a Chevy option now.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I would love to go to the auto show, the Mpls show isn't until March 15.....you will have to take a ton of digital photos and send or post them. HIGH RES PLEASE!
    I only have an older 1 MP camera, but it does a decent job. Just have to figure out how to post them as I have never done that before.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The Aveo will not be sold as a Suzuki, at least according to the current info. Suzuki will only sell the compact Forenza and Epica twin, Verona.
  • xymotikxymotik Member Posts: 1
    www.suzuki.ca says Suzuki will sell the Aveo in Canada under the Swift+ name. It looks identical to the Aveo except that it has a "milk mustache" chrome grille like the current Honda Civic sedan. Suzuki of the US hasn't said anything on their press site about releasing their version of the Aveo in the US.

Curiously, Suzuki hasn't announced plans to sell the Forenza in Canada unlike in the US; guess they don't want to compete there with their own Aerio, or maybe they'll introduce it later?

Besides a fear of cannibalizing sales of their own cars in the US, one of the reasons that GM management gave for not selling a version of the Epica/Verona/Magnus in the US is that the UAW would probably object.
    Could be. The Aveo is smaller than the existing Cavalier and will be smaller still than the Cavalier replacement next fall. The Epica is almost Malibu size.
    Epica looks a lot like a Impala from the front. Hope I can sit in one tomorrow.
    Have fun at the show. Let us know what you think about the new Chevys.
    Saw the Optra and Aveo, but they have no Epica. Very odd as it was on the list of premiers for the show. Thought the Optra (sedan) looked pretty decent to compete with the Kias of the world. Interior looked good too.
    That is odd. Toronto is Canada's Detroit and New York. Wonder if the show car was damaged in transit?
    Who knows, maybe I missed it. I don't think so as I saw all the other new models sitting up high on platforms. Just odd. I did see the Suzuki version, but the windows were blacked out so I couldn't see the interior.
This discussion has been closed.