Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Forenza

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I drove a Forenza S 5-speed today and posted my comments here:
    backy "Low End Cars: Japanese v. American v. European v. Korean" Dec 19, 2003 10:08pm

BTW, the window sticker said 126 hp.
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    Perhaps the loss of power is due to the addition of engine balance shafts. GM's quadfour engine lost about 5hp when they added balance shafts to it. The engine in the Nubira does not have them (vibrates at idle) and it's already LEV...

The interior of the Forenza rocks, completely out of its price range. I'm getting used to the exterior styling (the front, the rest is great). Sometimes it looks powerful and angry (hence "Lacetti" from lacertus), the other times it's too rounded and soft. I never have liked anything that Pininfarina styled... I am glad to see Daewoo go back to its roots with the C-D pillar window slice.

I would buy one if I couldn't afford a Magnus, and for some reason ceased to like the Aerio... and had to replace my Nubira, which ain't happenin'.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    It'll be interesting next year when the Aerio gets an interior styling update. Two sedans in the same segment from the same company both with great interiors. LOL :)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    with two different personalities. The Aerio- for those adventurous people, who like camping. The Forenza and upcoming Reno, for those that would like something more practical, for the urban commute. In other words, a Korean Corolla, with a lower price.
    I wish the Reno/Forenza had the Aerio's engine.
    :(
    isn't a bad thing, really. More power would be nice though.
    Aerio's 2.0l engine at the least. The Holden engine eats timing belts, Suzuki engines have a chain.

I hope that Suzuki keeps the digital dash in the Aerio.
    Next year's Aerio won't have the digital dash. It gets a freshened interior with the same steering wheel, automatic transmission lever, and climate controls from the XL7.
    That's absurd! Thank you whiny media for ruining a step forward in the industry! The tachometer could make due with a guage maybe, though only if it includes a numerical readout! It's nearly impossible to know the speed precisely without a number! My world is ruined!

After I reduce all media publications to rubble, I'll buy a used Aerio... *plot plot*
    I would like it if a beige interior were offered.
    I agree. Beige would be good too.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Check out GM Canada's site. The Chevy version in Canada gets a beige interior option as well as the gray. In my opinion I think there should also be a black option. I love VW's black interiors.
    lists the Epica and the Optra to both have beige interiors. I wonder why they don't offer it in the US. I like gray and beige. No black. Too dark for me.
  • friedbaconfriedbacon Member Posts: 7
    I've test drove the Forenza's twin, the Optra and I've bumped my head on the headliner (is that what it's called) while getting into and out of the car several times. b.t.w. , I'm only 5"8. Did anyone else encounter the same problem?
    I forgot to add that the MPG in this car is terrible. (22 city and 30 highway) It means that this 2700lb car with a 2.0l 119hp engine ties the mpg with the 3100lbs 3.5l 200hp malibu maxx! I think most buyers would opt for the civic or corolla, especially if you drive alot.
    Remember, this car doesn't have VVT like its competitors. But, it does have a 126HP engine, not 119. The target of this car was to give people FEATURES and LUXURY at a low price. So, I guess GMDAT doesn't really care about MPG figures.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The EPA figures are 22/30? WOW. Thats a complete lack of engineering. There are many VVTi-less vehicles that can achieve better than that, while still providing greater than 126hp. Those are pretty pathetic ratings even compared to a class up- the Camry (which is slightly behind the Accord, with its 5A)produces 157hp and a hearty 162 foot pounds at 4000RPM, achieves 23/32 with an automatic.

The value equation fades quickly when the only savings are prior to signing the dotted line. Dont forget, added to this car's horrid EPA figures (meaning higher cost per mile) will be the car's undoubted greater depreciation compared to class leaders, and the nail in the coffin... sore lack of side impact restraints. That, and the Civic and Corolla 4 Doors do EXCELLENTLY in all tests by both NHTSA and IIHS, something Daewoos have never done.

Forenza = not even an "also-ran".

~alpha
    "The Lacetti received the highest possible rating in the 64-kilometer-per-hour IIHS Test conducted by the American Insurance Association. High-tension steel sheet has been applied to over 40 percent of its body. In addition, a "survival zone" is built into the Lacetti’s body. The car interior’s hexagonal structure is designed for optimum absorption of collision shocks. As a result, the direction of shock energy is deflected at the instant of a collision away from the passengers for maximum protection.

"The Lacetti protects both the head and torso of the driver as well as the right front seat passenger with two sets of air bags. In addition to the two front air bags, which protect the heads of front seat passengers in head-on collisions, the Lacetti is also equipped with side-impact air bags, which serve to protect the torsos of the occupants in the case of side-impact collisions."

http://www.autoweb.com.au/id_DAE/doc_dae0211181/cms/news/newsarti- cle.html
    Too bad the Forenza/Optra does not have it as a option. It is also missing heated seats, Traction Control and Electronic Brake Force Distribution.
    the Forenza/Optra are supposed to be price leaders, not be loaded up with HIDs, NAVs, and heated seats. Leather maybe, but that's it. And, for $14,999, what do you expect? Even a Honda Civic Value Package costs nearly $14K and it doesn't have power windows.
    Side Airbags should be available, at least as an option.
    Just saw the Forenza commercial today. Looks good, especially in red! It looks to be a Forenza LX.
  • chadds1chadds1 Member Posts: 1
    Wow...I just got done test driving a Suzuki Forenza LX. What a nice car! This car was loaded with everything but leather, it had moonroof, all power options, steering wheels radio controls and cruise, and a CD and cassette deck.

I am kinda looking for a cheap, but loaded sporty coupe, so the Forenza wasn't exactly what I was looking for...but it's still a great car!

This car road smoothly, was VERY quiet, and felt very solid. It also has pretty respectable pick up from the engine. The best part about this car was the price, the dealer gave me a quote of $12,900 with the incentives figured in.

I tested this car up against a Hyundai Elantra GT, and a Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe.

The Elantra was a very nice car too, it came with the same options, plus it had leather, and a very nice Kenwood MP3 CD deck. It has a BIT sportier feel than the Suzuki, but didn't have as much pep from the engine, and didn't feel QUITE as solid and well built as the Suzuki. The price on the Elantra from the dealer came out to $13,300 with incentives figured in.

The Cavalier couldn't touch the Elantra or Forenza's build quality, or smooth ride. The Cavalier DOES have the advantage when it comes to power and handling though. It was a fun little car to drive...and it will probably end up being my choice, even though it definately isn't the "nicest" car...but I am in the market for a sporty car, and not a sedan unfortunately.

I just wanted to put this out to let people know about the Forenza. If your in the market for a budget sedan that doesn't feel like a budget sedan, do yourself a favor and check one out! If they build this car in a sportier 2-door coupe, I will be waiting in line!
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    So, do you sell Suzukis...or write commercials for Suzuki? Either way, you are good at what you do!
    LOL
    Anyways, I also think the Forenza is a great car!
    I just wanted to let you know that a reliable source has told me that the 2005 Forenza sedan is getting standard side-impact airbags to coincide with the Reno and Forenza wagon - which have been confirmed on the Suzuki Auto website to receive them. :-)
  • flutterbykissflutterbykiss Member Posts: 1
    We just bought the Suzuki Forenza and love it. It drives so nicely. We got the manual transmission and there's no complaints with the power. Yes I agree with the MPG dissapointment...especially with gas prices but all in all we love it. The only thing that has happened to us is that tonight we were driving to PA and going up a long steeply graded hill and the car started hesitating and then I looked behind me and there were huge clouds of blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe. We stopped and turned the car off and lifted the hood and there was no smoke anywhere else. We continued on with no other problems. We will be taking the car into the dealership tomorrow. There is only 300 miles on this car. We've only had it a week. My dad thinks that the rings on the engine might have went. Good thing they have a good warranty. Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on that. We still love our car though. I'm sure it happens to other cars here and there too!
    Congratulations on the purchase! Tell us all how your experience with the Forenza goes!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In China, the Forenza is badged as a Buick model, with a chrome Buick-type grille.
    Here's another fun fact:

That Buick was also named "China's Car of the Year for 2004". LOL
  • gowrigowri Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I am little confused where to post this one, hope I will find a suggestion here. I am considering buying a used Chevrolet Optra (as it is called in middle east, and Suzuki Forenza in USA) from my friend. What he is having is a base model, without passenger air bag, alloy wheels, and ABS. (Wonder why GM differentiates in safety features also. Same in Canada comes with all these things in base model). Is it possible to provide this things additionally if I buy this one? There is price difference of around $1500 for this options for a new car. Will it be the same if I install those things (if it is possible) with the dealer? I really dont want to lose this car since he has done only around 1000miles in a 2004 model.
    Please help me regarding this
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    ABS and passenger air bag (probably) big problem, unless it's ready for an after market dealer upgrade, which is doubtful.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    If you need those items it would cost more to fit them to the used car than to buy a new car with those already installed.
  • nwvalknwvalk Member Posts: 1
    Hi there! I recently purchased an 05 Forenza and I am looking to install a security system and cruise control. But I need a copy of the wiring diagram. Does anyone have one you might be willing to send my way? It would be very much appreciated! 32se01@charter.net
    Thanks in advance, Don
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Can anyone explain how those hanger hooks in the back of the Forenza are supposed to work? I've given up trying and use the passenger assist handle to hang clothes. :confuse:
  • lucasterlucaster Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems playing an mp3 cd. I cannot switch between directories on the cd. maybe i'm doing it wrong, it says to press "UD" or "down" to switch, but it won't.

Is there a specail way that the cd must be burnt for it to recognize the folders?
    how to you switch between folders?

I own a 05 chev optra (canadian version of the forenza)
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Yes Daewoo has always used ZF transmissions for their manuals. Glad that GM did not mess with that as they did with the Verona where they replaced the ZF and Aisin/Warner models with a GM transmission.
  • wildcatgirlwildcatgirl Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Forenza about 3 weeks ago and I am VERY pleased...never in my life have I traded in a car...bought a new car and actually LOWERED my payment. I traded at 2000 Honda Civic in and got a brand new Forenza...it is really nice (not to mention cheaper) and I am absolultely thrilled with it...my teenage daughter is dying to have one herself...and I have liked it so much that my hubby has decided to try a Suzuki as well, trading his Honda in on a Verona. I think that Suzuki has won over a new family.
  • polonezpolonez Member Posts: 2
    how flushing your cooling system in a 2004 Forenza, i can not find service manual for Forenza Car
    Thank you
  • rjckrjck Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I recently bought a 2004 forenza. I work 12hour shifts, there has been a couple of times I have come out to start the car and the battery is dead, but it only takes a second to jump it off so I know that it is not the battery, something is draining it does anyone have any suggestions? :confuse:
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    There are icons on my Forenza radio display and in the manual that appear to indicate additional capabilities for CD playback effects including Church, Hall, Live, Stadium, and Theater. Does anyone know how to access these?
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I hunted around a little bit and found this at the GM site for the Chevy Aveo radio. Aveo and Forenza are both made by GM-Daewoo in Korea. I've test driven both the Aveo and Forenza and they look like they have similar radios. I think they both have a "SOUND" button; here is the description for how it works to change equalization setting from the Aveo Owner's Manual.

SOUND (Equalization): Press this button until EQ OFF appears on the display to select customized equalization settings designed for classic, pop, rock, jazz, and voice. Turn the volume knob until the desired equalization setting appears on the display. When finished making the selection, press the SOUND button to select the equalization setting.

To cancel an equalization setting, press the SOUND button until EQ OFF appears on the display, turn the volume knob until OFF appears on the display, then press the SOUND button again to select the equalization setting

Sounds kind of complicated, but I bet once you get used to it, it's not too bad.
  • noursenourse Member Posts: 3
    Check the TRUNK when it is closed to make sure the luggage compartment light is NOT draining the battery, 12 hours could drain it if its a marginal battery. Fold down the back seat and look through to see if the LITE is on with it closed. Also check glove box lite, DOME lite, MAP lite, make sure ALL the doors are closed tightly, and anything plugged in the cigar liter or 12volt ports such as a cell phone charger, I doubt that though, cause my 2005 ports shut off with the ignition, I cant think of anything else. Does this ONLy happen in a 12 hr period? does it also happen, lets say for 3, 4 hours? If so, then you may want to go to an auto parts store(e.g.Trak Auto) and have them do a " BATTERY DRAIN" test Its usually FREE..good luck, mike
  • noursenourse Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 reno and same sound system. You Do know you can override the EQ system and use the BASS and TREBLE adjustments too. I find i get better sound adjusting those myself , other than using the preset EQ adjustments,.Very Happy with the sound. NOT an infinity SOUND , but not bad for an econobox, and my friends all give me compliments on the sound quality, they cant believe its a cheap 45 wattX4 system..lol
  • artronartron Member Posts: 1
    First 25,000 miles turn on key engine starts. Lately it takes several tries to start engine. I did a 30,000 mile service early, hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't. Otherwise my 2004 forenza has been a great car.
  • uncutuncut Member Posts: 2
    hi my forenza has had ---5 dead batterys....the dealer cant find any problem they say i dont drive it alot....its a 04- with 7700 mi.s.......and im trying to lemon law it here in ct. they- the dealer - say this is the 'first' forenza to hav a power drain.........can you shed any light on my problem.......mr. Ingerson......"GO NORWAY" ;)
  • uncutuncut Member Posts: 2
    PLEASE READ MY NOTE..... :):)
  • pfow99pfow99 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my first new car :) 2005 Forenza S about 2 weeks ago.. Love the car... 2 questions.. First at 31 or 32 mph the car jerks, second the check engine light came on :cry: and has been on for about 3 hours, I have turned it off and restarted it a few times to see if it would go off and it won't.. I noticed when the light first came on it ran sluggish from a stop and was louder than usual. Any suggestions? The dealer is 2 hours from me and I'm just checking on input before I have to drive up there. Thanks
  • creekmonkeycreekmonkey Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2005 forenza. The check engine light keeps comming on, when i make an appointment and finally get to the dealer they tell me it was because my gas cap was not tightened properly and they had to reset the code and erase the error code. Does anyone know what code reader works with the forenza. Any help is greatly apprieciated!
  • hendricksonhendrickson Member Posts: 2
    Advice from one who has been there:

On my Forenza, the check engine light kept coming on indicating loss of pressure in the gas tank. The local dealer (Brantmeier Suzuki, Sheboygan, WI) has a great mechanic who finally figured it out. The top of the filler neck, where the gas cap seats, had a small indentation left from forming it. The gas cap couldn't always seal off properly. Take off the gas cap and run your finger around the opening. If you feel a bump or a dip, you may have found the problem.

The second problem (jerking) is from the transmission hunting between gears at around 30 mph. It was a common problem. The dealer can re-program the transmission control module using the latest software and it will shift like buttered velvet.

While he's at it, have him re-program the engine computer for the latest software there too. Idle problems will be solved, and the computer will work better when communicating with generic scan tools as well.