Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    Anyone have any guess-timates on the turn-around time on the west coast for ordering a new 3 series?

I know the sport package production isn't slated to begin until Sept, I'm wondering if it would be possible to order and have delivery late Oct/early Nov?
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    My SA mailed it to me.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Yeah, I was going by my 1999 brochure that I still have handy :)

DL
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    Here is a variation on the "when will pricing come out" question:

When do you think the lease details (i.e. residuals and money factor) will come out for the 325i?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Exact numbers? No guess from me, however, historically the residuals have been high and the money factors have been low.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    I have never heard this re: the sport package. Do you mean "performance package". Certain features (e.g., comfort access) will not be available until September, but I am not aware of the sport pack being delayed. Any body else have info?
    There is no announced "Performance Package" for the E90 3-Series. I have seen several posts that have stated that the Sport Package will not go into production for the E90 until September, however, checking the "Ordering Guide" the only September reference it makes regarding the Sport Package is for the SMG, which requires the SP before they will allow you to order it.

So, my reading of the Ordering Guide says that the SP can be configured on any E90 right from the start of production as long as a Steptronic or 6-Speed manual is your transmission of choice. I'm thinking that a call to your local dealer should be able to clear this up.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Gotcha, so there is no ZHP package as of yet, only a sport package which I assume consists of larger wheels/tires and tigher suspension, as well as the sport seats yes? Does the sport package have that Active Steering? Hopefully that is a stand alone option.

I was considering SMG (Bay area traffic is almost as bad as the 405 in LA), but may stick with the manual. Any mention of anything else delayed until Sept?

Thanks for the updates.
    Regarding the ZHP, I'm betting that we won't see that option for the E90. Why? Because rumor has it that there will be a 4-Door sedan M3 for the E90, and the ZHP was kind of a Band-Aid that BMW put on the E46 to avoid having to create an E46 M3 Sedan.

Regarding delayed availability of certain options, the only ones that I've been able to devine from the documentation that I have is as follows:

- Comfort Access (September 2005)
    - 6-Speed SMG Transmission (September 2005)

That's it!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I will hold out like a good boy and save my nickels for it.

If they build it, I will buy it. i told them that with the e46 but it never happened. :( I bought the band aid.
    All I will be delayed as I know I want the comfort access. I would love to hold out for the 4dr M3 but my current lease is up in Nov. Decisions, decisions. Thanks again for the info Shipo.
  • bmwfan2bmwfan2 Member Posts: 13
    Seems like the new 3 is gonna be in high demand. Should I order and put down a deposit now? would I lose an edge on haggling later if I do this? You don't lose the deposit if you don't want to proceed? Or should I wait until May? you guys think that we can get 3-4% off MRSP?

I'd appreciate any advice.
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    I was one of those nuts (some people would say) that put a deposit down in January. My thinking was that I needed to have a new car by September and I wanted to order it without a lots of extras. I am sure the later you wait, the better price you can get, but not likely more than the 3-4% off, it that before next year. I also felt that the longer I wait, the less my trade-in was going to be worth, so it all evens out, you can pay less and get less and pay more and get more. Just my .02 .
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    The "official" debut is the first week of May..

I'll guess that we won't see residuals and money factors until the May lease programs are published..

We should have pricing on March 23rd.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The 3-series is BMW's largest selling model.. Compare it to the Accord..

They have to sell a bunch of them.. They won't sell at MSRP or a premium for very long, I predict...

I wouldn't worry about getting on a waiting list.. Something tells me that is the way to spend the most amount possible.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Don't put down a depoit. Why not just agree to an '05 price, and whatever the difference is; when the actual prices come out. For example, if you would buy an '05 330 for say $40k, and the E90 comes out at $44k, you agree to $40k plus whatever the difference is (in this case $4k). The above figures are just for example purposes. Best of luck.
    Don't know if this has been posted, but the April edition of Automobile stated that the base 330 price would be $36,395. That is about $695 or 2% more than the 2005 base retail price of $35,700.

We will find out on March 23rd for sure, but if this is the case, it is great news. It also means both Kyfdx ($1,000-2,000) and I (said $200)are wrong. I should have been more smart, & stated a range like $200-$1,000 :)
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Interesting on the pricing, however I think a more apt comparison would be "similarly equipped".

For example, it's been posted here that the current 330i suspension will perhaps be optional on the E90. Will the slider that is now standard on the 2005 be optional/part of a package?

Need more info to make an apples to apples comparison on the increase.

Just my $.02
    Errr, what's a "slider"?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you're gonna pick a price, tell them $1500 (and that amount makes me fell ill as it's way too much to give a dealer) over invoice. I can't fathom offering to pay MSRP on a car. That's crazy talk.
    in this case.. a sunroof..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Exactly, the one that costs more than $.49 and doesn't clog the arteries.
    Ahhh, got it. Well in that case, yes, the "slider" is standard equipment on the North American E90.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    What is Comfort Access?
    The car senses the remote in your purse or pocket.. and all you have to do to unlock the car is pull up on the door handle... Then, once inside, you just push the start button..

Until it is available, you have to push the button on the remote to unlock the car.. then insert the remote into a slot (like a key, go figure), then push the start button..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    kyfdx, by saying "Until it is available ..." you don't mean that once it becomes available, the cars that were bought before it was available can be upgraded to have comfort access. Do you?
    The latest issue of C&D just tested the new 3er, w/6mt and ran 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, the 1/4 mile in 14.3 @98 mph. Not too shabby.

They have a picture of what I guess is the first version of comfort access, and maybe it's just me but what is the point of having to stick the key in a slot and push a button as opposed to the usual insert key and turn???
    Hmmm, unless I'm missing something, that's not "Comfort Access". With Comfort Access, you don't need to put the key anywhere (as long as it's with you), you just enter the car and push the button.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No I don't mean it's "actually" the comfort access, I just don't understand why they would make it like this where you have to insert the key then press the button and the actual comfort access option will go into production Sept. I guess it's the cost effective way of offering it as an option instead of standard.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I was told the vehicle would not run,if the key was 10 feet away, in case of car jacking ect.. I guess it would stall out ?

MT is stating $37,500 on 330i unknown if this includes freight. We will see whos closest.

DL
    I saw the same 5.6 sec comment. BMW states 6.1. They always seem to understate the stats.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Yes, it sounds really stupid, I would rather have the traditional car keys! I don't know what's the big deal in introducing the real "comfort access" where you just have to have the key on you somewhere and then enter the car and start it.
    Infiniti has introduced this in their existing G35 model in 2005, so why couldn't BMW introduce this "properly" in their re-design from day one?! Beats me!
    "Infiniti has introduced this in their existing G35 model in 2005, so why couldn't BMW introduce this "properly" in their re-design from day one?! Beats me!"

Usually supplier problems; as in either the parts or the tooling will not be inplace for volume production until then.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    LOL so what do you think the chances are of them getting the parts to build one for me prior to Sept, so I don't have to wait. :-)
    Tehe, you might want to call the Infiniti factory in Japan and ask. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    LOL, You telling me they are sourcing the parts from Infiniti? I hope not cause it seems Infiniti can't seem to figure out how to put the keyless access on the 6MT as it's only offered on the auto. Sept is so far away, even further when you have the "new car bug".
    "...you telling me they are sourcing the parts from Infiniti?"

Nope, that was a joke. ;-)

Regarding the new car bug, I'm about to be BMW-less in another week or so, and the plan isn't get another one until April of 2006. :-/ So, you'll have many months of E90 enjoyment before I'm able to park one in my garage. Enjoy!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I knew that. ;-)

Wow, why the wait? Should I go the BMW route this will be my first (I'll be switching from Audi) and I'm heavily leaning towards the beemer but there are a lot of interesting choices out there and I'm looking at everything from the 3er up to a C55.
    Why the wait? Conflicting priorities.

My business partner and I are launching a new company this year and we are keeping the finances tight, just in case. As if that isn't enough, I also want to finish my flying lessons and buy a plane. A plane which will almost certainly be 30 to 40 years old and require a fair amount of cash to bring up the the configuration (engine/avionics/paint/interior) that I want. So, that makes April 2006 the earliest I'm likely to visit the ED center in Munich to pick up a new E90 330i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Cool, well good luck with the new business and buying a plane. I would love to do the ED delivery but doubtful I'll be able to, especially since my current lease expires nov.
    Errr, why not? Do ED in September and unless you live in Fairbanks, you should have your car by November (sooner if you are on the east coast). Another thought is that it seems to me that if you have another car on order/enroute, BMW-FS will gladly extend you lease month-to-month while you are awaiting delivery of your new ride.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It might be an option, I'll have to look into further. However it seems production w/Comfort access doesn't start until Sept and my current lease is with Audi so I'm not sure BWM can extend that, I have thought about attempting to find a buyer for the Audi and maybe find a cheap rental for the meantime, who knows it's still a ways off.
    Oops! Senior moment. ;-) I now remember that you said you were driving an Audi.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I don't know about the upgrade... I think not, though...

And yes.. the comfort access is when you don't have to do anything but raise the door handle, and push the start button...

But, for all cars.. the new "key" will just be a remote fob...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I am set for ED in May. Haven't seen the car, let alone test drive it. From all the car mag reviews, it looks good. Go for it man-you will love it.
  • a10driver7a10driver7 Member Posts: 6
    Shipo,

I always enjoyed your posts on the 5 series board a few years back when I was purchasing my 2002 5 series. Just going back 30-40 pages on that forum gave me tons of information that convinced me to go with the 5. Thanks for the informative posts.

Well, took my 525 to Germany and really wishing I had gotten the 530 manual. Don't get me wrong, the 525 cruises effortlessly at 100-110 mph. Very stable car and no problems in the snow. Not one problem in 3 years.

Figured I'd read you on this board. Seems like this new 3 model is the first one I've liked in a long time. The new E90 reminds me of the older 5 series. I saw it in the German BMW dealer and let me say the pictures don't do it justice. Its a very nice looking car, the grill/front end looks much better in person. The interior doesn't feel as roomy as the older 5 as I hoped, but the trunk is almost the same size. Prices are crazy here. A loaded 325i was displayed for 51K Euro. Interior doesn't seem cheap like the X3.

Good luck with your purchase. You won't be disappointed. I'm going to wait a few years and take it back home with me. Good luck with the airplane and fly safe.

A-10 Driver
    -Blushing-

Hey there A-10 Driver (I have airplane envy already and I don't even have a plane yet), thanks for the kind words. ;-)

I have to agree with you on the 2.5 liter mill. I drove a 325i for a couple of days and found that while it was geared to provide very nice performance given its relatively modest specs, it was wound up pretty tight at higher speeds. When I had the 530i over in Germany, 130 mph was not only easy to hold, it was easy to get there as well. I swear, that car has its best acceleration above 80, so much so that often as traffic would accelerate away from some slow point, I found that I was constantly backing off the throttle to keep from encroching on the folks in front of me.

It's also nice to hear from someone who has seen (and likes) the new E90 in the flesh as the E60 has proven to be a major disappointment looks wise for me, not to mention its large size.

I'll let you know if/when I get the plane. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • joek1joek1 Member Posts: 8
    Someone here indicated you could pickup a BMW in Germany, drive it around a bit, and have it shipped back home to the US. Can you get a discount off what you would purchase one in the US? If so, how much roughly? Enough to pay for airfare? Would it be US-ready for inspections, etc.? Would other options be available sooner there? For example, being able to get a 2006 330xi sooner, or some of the delayed colors, or even a coupe? Hope someone can answer one or more of the above. Thanks much.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    just look up "european delivery." It's been discussed a lot.
    Joe, options - some options can be had on ED that are different but nothing like an e90 coupe or xi. Pricing is always cheaper than msrp. Right now 05s with incentives are so cheap it'd be insane to try to get an ED e46.

A ED e90 could be a bargain for at least a year or so. Most people negotiate $1000 or so over ED invoice. As someone else said, there are whole topics on it.
This discussion has been closed.