Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    They rate the current 325i at 7.1 with manual transmission.. Definitely not a slug...

But, I agree... horsepower is pretty far down the list..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    opps I meant with Step . I guess that wasn't a fair comparison since I don't "think " there would be any auto diesel.

DL
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "guess that wasn't a fair comparison since I don't "think " there would be any auto diesel. "

An automatic BMW diesel! Yikes, I hope not.An automatic would kill performance and gas mileage. IMO that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a fuel saving BMW!
  • derfoderfo Member Posts: 36
    Guys, I had a Mercedes 300D with auto.I could stay with a 300D stick out the gate.

She got about 30 MPG vs stick at about 31 to 32 !!

The new auto trans are very efficient!
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Manual-only would be outrageous if they want to sell significant numbers. They have to have automatic in the US since that's what most people buy. Even most hybrids are automatic/CVT.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    A question about the run-flats: can they be patched?

I actually spoke with a Bridgestone rep a couple of years ago and that question came up. He hemmed and hawed for a bit and said Bridgestone "does not recommend that a run flat tire be patched".

The major difference with run flat tires are that they have extra rubber in the sidewalls to support the load when they lose air. That tends to give them a stiffer ride.

Even though they are not recommended to be patched, I am aware of tire dealerships that will patch them.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't much difference between a Run Flat tire and a Get Flat tire in the tread area. Since conventional tires cannot be patched from the shoulder and beyond, I'm thinking that there really shouldn't be any difference between patching the two types. Of course I'm sure that my understanding is a gross oversimplification of the differences, and that someone in the know will probably set me straight. Yes, no?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    They, being the tire manufacturers.. I think they'd say that about all tires.. Just from a liability standpoint...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah,
    automatics are fine as long as there is a manual option! As 307Web noted, sales are important and most N. Americans like automatics.

My wife's 83 MB300D is automatic and I dont think manual will transform her vehicle into a racer.
  • mep1mep1 Member Posts: 15
    For those of us who live in places like northern Ohio --- and have to put up with that wonderful winter weather (like today --- we got 4" of snow in late April!).... Winter tires are a necessity if you opt for the sport package ---- does anyone know / can suggest how this would work if the new 3s all have run flats and no spare? (Besides moving somewhere with nice weather --- which would be a nice solution!)

Are there "winter tire run flats" or is a temporary spare an available option when run flats are not on the car ? Somehow, the "spare in a can" thought does not breed much confidence --- especially in the case of a longer trip.
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    chatkat,
    Looks like I have you by four days (the 1st). Wow, what a price. Are you taking ED delivery, or are you getting the car for that price and taking delivery here? Yea, I ordered sight unseen, other than the ample (I hope) reviews read and pics seen in mags and internet. Good luck and happy fiftieth this Nov.
    psyran
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Some manufacturers of runflat tires say that a runflat, if it was "run flat", can not be repaired at all. Part of this comes from the inability to tell if the tire has damage due to the "run flat" operation. Non runflat tires will show signs of having been operated without inflation pressure, and those are not repairable either.

Hope this helps.
    While I wouldn't bet on there being any Winter Run Flat tires on the market by winter 2005/2006, I'm betting that they will eventually hit the market. Personally, I'm willing to take the chance with the spare tire in a can and go with conventional winter tires. I'm thinking that I'll probably opt for a set of four 225/45 R17 winter tires for the 330i SP that is in my future, which is 20mm wider than what is most likely going to be recommended by TireRack.

Oops! As you were! I placed my bet, and I just lost. :blush: I just checked the Michelin website, and guess what? The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 is listed as being manufactured with two different speed ratings in the 225/45 R17 size in both conventional and RunFlat configurations, the standard tire is rated at 130 mph, and the "Z" rated tire is good for 149 mph. The reference to those tires can be found at: http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotalpinpa2.pdf

Hmmm, I'm still inclined to go for the conventional tires and "The Can" instead of opting for the RunFlats.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "Part of this comes from the inability to tell if the tire has damage due to the "run flat" operation."

Of course since the E90 is being equipped with a tire pressure monitor, the driver will know exactly how long they were running under "RunFlat" mode.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Shipo, I believe you are correct that there is no appreciable difference in the tread area.
    To the best of my knowledge, the difference is mainly in the sidewalls and the price!

It would be interesting to know if BMW will still offer a spare tire as an option on Run Flat cars. Actually, I believe Bridgestone likes to refer to them as EMTs or Extended Mobility Tires.

I know that Sienna minivans equipped with EMTs also have a conventional space saver spare tire option.
  • chatkatchatkat Member Posts: 41
    Aha - we think alike - early birthday presents.
    I am getting that price, but, I am waiting to place my order until the cars actually hit the dealership. They may have one coming in for me with their initial allotment. I've already negotiated with two dealers, but, the one by my house is where I already bought our 7 and my friend's 6 and the price on the new 3 is my "commission" for getting them the other two sales where they made a few $$$.
    Matter a fact I kept checking tirerack to get an idea of replacement tire cost in sport and non sport forms, and only got a return of winters when I checked the "runflat" only box. In the high $2XX range... Ouch.

Im also wondering since there is no conventional key, when your battery dies, how do you get in ? won't be having time to wait around for RSA every time, i get a flat, dead battery ect..

DL
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Diesel-engine technology has evolved a lot since 1983. BMW Diesel engines (and others) are now really performers, may be just a bit—but only just a bit—under gasoline ones. Nowadays, there is instant engine start, no bad smells, no vibrations and, these as usual, lesser fuel consume and longer engine life. Acceleration is exhilarating, by the way! I cannot believe saying this, being myself quite anti-Diesel as I was until recently. MB has very good Diesel engines, and as for BMW, I think it is worthwhile to have a look to BMW 535d Forum here at Edmunds'. I do not know if BMW has planned to introduce such an impressive engine in its Series-3, however.

Best regards,
    José
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    planb,

You should not be worried about iDrive in your car. All the fuss about it is coming mostly from magazine testers and other people who have not used iDrive properly, IMHO. Most iDrive users, as myself, found it is a useful convenience. iDrive is not for using it everyday. iDrive is only to preset the car for your preferences. Once done that, you do not have to use iDrive except for trip computing and a few other things. You might as well have a look to post 1019 at the Edmunds Luxury Performance Sedans Forum and to other scattered posts but coming from iDrive users.

:D

Best regards,
    José
    A 535d does sound exciting. Here on this side of the ocean there are two negative biases that still exist(although that is slowly changing):

1)Hatchbacks
    2)Diesels

Being a contrarian myself, I would love to buy a BMW 130d hatchback(if it does exist).
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Is that for Canada or US?

Do they burn cleaner or is it the same dirty technology?

I hear the oil companies are developing clear diesel from natural gas which could be used on all existing diesel engines.
    Yes,diesels will sell in the USA
    A cleaner version of diesel will be introduced in USA soon. How soon I dont know?
    I thought the low sulfer was for 2006, now every thing I read mentions 2007. Im going to have to look at the BMW GB site again and compare the cost of the diesel to the gasser. And then hope that puppy comes available for ED.

BTW, I was looking at inventory online at a KS Center and they list a 2006 330i. Has anyone's Center have cars available for test drives yet ?

DL
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I searched and found this about this clear diesel, technically called GTL (Gas To Liquid):

www.sasolchevron.com/fuel_performance.htm

The reduction in particulate matter isn't as great as one might hope. Note that they refer to 2006 requirements for reduced emissions and the talk of after-treatment processes.

Those would probably hurt performance and fuel-consumption?
    Apparently its trapped and burned off, which would wonder how much cleaner than process is.

On another note I finally tracked my car down! http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=3ERP5

DL
    Looks like to me, that the ship is headed to Norfolk, Va.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I'd love a disesel car. Supposedly you can buy BioDiesel near me.

One step nearer to my being carbon neutral!
    Long as it makes a stop in Charleston, where it supposed to be!
    You are correct, just using it's back track!!
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    My local dealer e-mailed me and said that BMW has released the 06 3's and he expects to have them in this week and ready to drive.

Anybody else hear that?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Yeah my sales guy said today that the demos will be in wednesday and he'll call me to test drive them.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Ok, apparently they're just about here. When they arrive, let's have maximum feedback on this board with our driving impressions. Will help everybody's buying decisions.
  • jayellesevenjayelleseven Member Posts: 150
    Aight good, imma see if SoCal gets them in wed. Imma check it out, the car I've been saving for since LAst June. That same day imma go 2 an Infiniti dealership n if the BMW doesnt appeal enough 2 me, imma copp the G35 Coupe, 6MT, 298hp, black on black, sexy. Less luxury but more sport, im 19 so u know... Either way, imma end up with a phat ride, its So Cal way of life babeh!
    Yo dude! Say what???

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chillnycchillnyc Member Posts: 20
    Did you really want a translation?

Regards,
    chillnyc
    I was an early adopter of Unix (1983) and again a reasonably early adopter of the Internet via UseNet (1989), and have witnessed the transformation of written English into written slang. While said slang is artistic in its own right with a significant amount of creativity infused into its cryptic character, it fails as a general structure of our language. Why? Simple, language by definition is meant to be a medium upon which one can communicate or transfer ideas and information to the broadest possible audience. "Netease", or whatever else you want to call our new form of written slang, is completely unable to achieve the goal of transferring ideas to its huge audience simply because too many people are unable to decode the message.

One thing that I have really enjoyed about the 3-Series forums here in the TownHall is that for the most part, folks here write well and primarily use fairly classic English, which is a skill, discipline and even art form unto itself. Speaking strictly for myself, I'm hoping that the discussions here continue to soar above the sea of new vernacular.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I prsnlly thnk the new vrnclr is disastrs.

Besides 298 mini-horses = 258 Clysdales. :P
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    Seems like everyone is partaking in the jubilation, so wanted to throw in my two cents.

Spoke with the dealer in Charlotte on Saturday, and their stock should be arriving later today or tonight (wednesday at the latest). From there, they are going to schedule some test drives (myself included in that lot), which will incorporate some sort of slalom course in order to show off the vehicle's handling and performance. That part sounds really cool, especially since it's going to rain tonight and it would be fun testing it on a wet track (i.e. get to test the theory of rear will drive vehicles running on run flats). One of the launch vehicles coming in will be a manual 330i with the Sports Package, which is the one that I'm leaning heavily on.

So I'll try to be as objective as possible in relaying my feedback. For those of you interested with the "spacing improvements" of the vehicle, that's one area that I will pay heavy attention to since I am of the not-so-petite variety.

I'm anxious to hear everyone else's feedback too. Looking forward to it. This forum has been an excellent source of information and at times, entertainment. :)

Luke
    I noticed this morning on BMW's exploration page of the new 3 series that the Logic 7 sound system will have an in-dash 6 CD changer (about bloody time). And according to the diagram, two of the speakers are either on the seat itself (weird) or above our heads. Wanted to see how other readers are interpreting this as well . . . .

Let me just say that while it wasn't a necessity, I'm glad BMW has finally decided to do the in-dash changer for CDs rather than in the trunk of the car or in the case of MB C class, the glove box. If you're going to spend the money on a premium car, might as well have the same standard configuartion as other cars in its class. My additional 2 cents, which puts me up to 4 this morning.
    I don't think that I've seen the diagram you're referring to, but if I'm not mistaken, they've placed the two sub-woofers under the two front seats. Could that be what you're seeing?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You're probably right. Could serve as a free butt massager if you turn the bass up high enough. Probably more information than what the people on this forum need . . .

I digress - here's a link to access the portal to get to that diagram:

http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templates/MicroSiteHandlerNew3.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGI- - NALURL=%2fvehicles%2ffuturevehicles%2fnew3&NRNODEGUID=%7bF446C022-6564-4244-8D0C-C379EC26D- - 2A4%7d&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&bhcp=1

Once you click on the "Explore the New 3 series" link, a separate window should pop-up. On the left nav, click smarter, and once it finishes loading, click on Logic 7 System. The diagram of the speaker placement is on the right.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    bigpapaluke

Speakers are not on the seat but below as by now probably already mentioned.

FYI - One more day until i finally get to see this 330i in person; 3 across america tour hits san francisco tomorrow.

Funny, cars are hitting the showroom 1 week after this tour, do you guys think it is worth it for a 3 hour round trip drive to see this car 1 week early? Or will I even get enough time to sit in this car and mess around with it.

Feedback please!
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    What really irks me is the number of posters who continue to use first letters only for common and not so common phrases. Some of them I really cannot decipher. Have we sunk to a new low in laziness that we can't type 3 more words?
    Some posters write volumes and include several of these abbreviations per post.
    Just my opinion. Perhaps it doesn't bother anyone else.
    Anyhow, the adrenaline is building up. Can't wait for us to drive the new 2006 330i sedan and post our impressions. Then we can take some volume away from the M35/45 board.
    With the cost of gas the way it is, I would wait for the showroom. The concensus from those on this board is that it's an event to gawk at the car, but not really an opportunity to test drive it. So I would personally wait for the real thing. But that's my 2 cents (running total now at 6 for the day).

Just made my appointment to test drive the new 330i with ZSP, ZPP, and manual for today at 6:00 pm EST. :D Full report to come tomorrow.
    Thanks for the link. ;-) Now that I've seen the diagram, yes, the speakers depicted in the middle of the two front seats are definitely the two sub-woofers mounted below the seats.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Of course now that I've shot my mouth off, I find that I must also admit that I've used the following short cuts upon occasion:

IMHO -- In My Humble Opinion
    FWIW -- For What It's Worth
    IOW -- In Other Words

Hmmm, I think I'm going to attempt to start a new trend and write everything long hand from here on in. Errr, does that mean that I now have to write Three-Series?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I would not expect the vast majority of abbreviators out there to comply. This was only a mild plea, however.
    My most urgent plea is for everyone within the sound of my keyboard to please make your appointments to drive the new 3 series(I believe that answers your query, Shipo :))now and post your experiences forthwith.
    Thank you.
    hpowders
    I have a two-thousand-three beeemdubya threetwentyfivei with sport package and emsixtyeight sport wheels off of a beeemdubya threethirtyi...

Shewwww.. I am tired... :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

LOL!! Love the spelling of Dubya.
    That's the way we say it in noo yawk. It's one of the few posts that I am perfectly comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.