Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy 6.0 SS THUNDER

Comments

• asdemanasdeman Member Posts: 9
    Those 1/4 times do not impress us Ford Lighting
    owners. After 2500 miles, I'm running 13.6 consistenly with a speed 101.7. The General better
    go back to the drawing board if they consider this the Lighting Killer!!!

SVTMAN
    99.5 Red Lighting, Superchipped, K&N GenII Kit,all
    factoy options,Linexed.
    In your dreams and GM dreams, thats why I see so many at the dragstip on saturday nights. If this vehicle ever goes in production I'll be the first
    in line to prove the point "the Heartbeat Stops Here".
    While you guys are waiting and foaming at the mouth for you SS, I'm out beating the crap out of
    those trucks and cars that the general has screwed you with.

See ya wouldn't want to be ya,
    99.5 SVT Lighting
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    No offense, but you paid $30,000+ for a 2WD regular cab truck. If it didn't beat the crap out of my 4WD x-cab GMC for $22,000 (including TTL), there would be something terribly wrong. I like the lightning, and I think Ford is really smart for marketing it, but jeez, let's stay real here.
    -powerisfun
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Truckin' magazine has an article on the Silverado
    SS and other performance trucks being offered by manufacturers. The Lightning wasn't there for some reason. Not sure why as it is probably the most popular.
    Anyway, the SS has a decent quarter-mile time
    for an unblown engine, but for some reason the 0-60 time was pretty bad. I forget the times, and I don't have the magazine with me, but I'll post them later.
    -powerisfun
  • lis7lis7 Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, girls love fast trucks too. When is the Silverado SS supposed to be available and what will be the price range?

Lisa
  • dean28dean28 Member Posts: 6
    ok for the guy with the lightning, how do you get 13.6 1/4 mile times when edmunds just did a comparison on the lightning vs pontiac firebird and could only best a 14.4 at 101 in the 1/4 and 0-60 times of 6.8. your truck oviously cant be stock to have that kind of difference in times.
    granted the lightning is very impressive for a truck, but any truck with a little tweeking epecially the silverado ss could easily do the same if not far better which in my oppion at 14.087 had already beaten the ford according to edmunds and other car magizines, and with a different gear selection in the rear and a little engine tweaking the chevy could come out the winner just as the camaro has been doing to the mustang for years.
    actually for about $7,000 less you could just buy a mustand GT which was faster in both the 1/4 and 0-60 according to the test at edmunds or better yet just get a camaro or firebird and leave them both in the dust. ford built a heck of a cool truck but it will just be a matter of time before chevy comes out with something to put it to shame.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    The lightning is in a class of its own for the time being, I had a black 99.5 and it was awesome to drive but with winter coming it would have been useless,traded it for an F250 4x4 supercab, plus I read somewhere that the 2001.5 lightning is supposed to 0-60 in just 5 seconds I think ford is redesigning the windsor engine and will be coming out with that in a couple of years so I'm saving my money for one of those,chevy and dodge and toyota I'm sure will have high performance trucks by then.
  • dean28dean28 Member Posts: 6
    im not exactly sure about the details, but i heard chevy is coming out with a 500hp 8.1 v-8 late next year or so. if its true look out lightning!!
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    be lucky if its 375 hp
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    were 315 H.P. 465 torque for the 8.1L (502)...
  • 98_svt_cobra98_svt_cobra Member Posts: 13
    The magazines don't get the best out of anything most of the time. My Cobra was only suposed to run low 14's but runs mid 13's (13.4) stock! Some published ET's for lightnings are 14.6 (Ford) 14.4 pointed out earlier, 14.2 Motor trends Dakota R/T Lightning shootout (the R/T ran a pitiful 16.2), 13.8 (Popular mechanics). Most owners who have taken them to the track have seen 13.5-13.8. Mine went 13.6 on a vericom (not totaly acurate). This is not to say the SS couldn't do better with a real driver. Hey Barlitz, did you trade your Lightning in at Mullinax? If so a guy from Chicago bought it for 26,500 about a week ago. Hey if you don't want to wait to compete with Lightnings you could buy the Arizona Speed & Marine Silverado. I hope GM makes the SS maybe then Ford will go ahead with the 4V heads for the Lightning.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    96 Cobra, had it, sold it after 9 months. BIG disappointment!! Ford can keep their "modular motor". Ran it at the track and was gratefull to get 14.3. Had one of the prostock racers see if he could ring out a better time, he did worse than me, 14.4 was his best in Austin, Tx area, approx. 89 degrees outside. Bought a 95 Mustang GT, a few light mod's and had it down to 14.3, the same as my "305 hp, 4V modular V8" cobra.
  • philmobilephilmobile Member Posts: 3
    Lets Put a Nice Paxton supercharger on the already Potent 395 Horses coming out of the 6.0L Engine...

Ford? I cant see any Fords in this dust!

See ya, Wouldnt want to be you asdeman.

Phil
    a.k.a. Philverado
    You first need a truck to put a supercharger on???
    2nd You have to be able to afford the truck then spend a considerable amount of money for the supercharger and ancillary upgrades. 3rd Then you still don't have a intercooler, super heavy duty
    tranny, and heavy duty brake system that is included on my Freakin Beast. 4th I would very much welcome the competition but I just heard that GM will terminate the Camero and Firbird due
    to such bad sales in the year 2001. If this is true the dumbest thing they could ever do is go in
    production on a sports truck but would very much
    welcome the competition. I would then have to upgrade for the 2001 Lightning with a rated stock HP of 450 and 540 ft/lbs of tourque. (I like to dream just like all the GM fellow are doing now.)
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    too, but then not too long ago they said they weren't going to discontinue the camaro/firebird. I dont think they will, and i havent heard anything that they will so i guess we will see.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    The F-body of GM will be either discontinued or face a major overhaul. The Camaro could not exist conceivably after the 2001 model. It's sad but sales have been sluggish for years for these cars.
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    the Camero/Firebird give the biggest bang for the buck - hate to see em' go. Saw an article in Motor Trend that has a hybred truck. A Cadillac Crew Cab (real short bed) with the 6.0L engine rated at 330-350 horse. Put a supercharger on that and your probably over 400 easy to compete with Ford's Lightening. We'll see if it happens, I may be interested in one if there under $40,000...
  • 98_svt_cobra98_svt_cobra Member Posts: 13
    Lightning went 13.7 still waiting for the Silverado SS. Come on guys some one go drop $42,000 at Arizona Speed & Marine and well race!
    BTW The F-body looks like it will be around a little longer....maybe
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i read somewhere recently that the F-body would probably get dropped for a year, then totally redesigned and brought back--kinda like Ford did when they couldn't give away any T-birds a couple of years ago.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    The lightning was traded in to Natick Ford in Massachusetts I think they sold it a week after, for how much I don't know but they were asking $27900. There is a red 99 brand new at Bonnell Ford they will take what they can get the saleslady told me.This is the worst time of the year especially in New England for that kind of vehicle. Has anyone seen the latest issue of car and driver they had a mustang boss against a LS1 camaro between them they had like 1600hp.The mustang won with a 0-60 time of 1.9 seconds,I can't imagine going that fast.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen". It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.