Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It is automatic... just because you see the light, does not mean the compressor is running. The compressor only runs as needed.

At least, that is how it was explained to me...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Here is a real good explanation of how the HVACworks in autos.

The automotive A/C system is known as a "series reheat" system. What that means is, regardless of whether you call for heat or cooling, or a mixture somewhere in between, all the air entering your vehicle crosses the A/C evaporator first. From there, it is either directed straight into the vehicle (when you want cooling), or over the heater (when you call for heat) or a little bit of both. Nonetheless, the evaporator is the first stop.

This is the standard design of all vehicle A/C systems, regardless of vehicle model or manufacturer. The air flow and temperature is controlled by a ‘blend’ door. That typically is positioned in the air duct between the heater and A/C evaporator. When you require full cooling, the blend door will shut off all air flow over the heater, causing the incoming air to cross over the evaporator and then be directed right into the vehicle.

In the case when you’re calling for heat, the incoming air is first directed over the evaporator. The blend door is then positioned to direct all the air flow from the A/C evaporator to the heater. From the heater, the air enters the vehicle (as heat).

In cases where you require moderate heat or cooling, the blend door is positioned part way between the A/C evaporator and the heater. That way, you actually receive a mix of heated and cooled air, providing you the temperature control you want.

This ‘series reheat’ is typical for all automotive A/C systems.

Regards,
    OW
  • kat101kat101 Member Posts: 14
    Hi - I'm looking at getting a 2006 330i, and I would like to know what is all included in the premium packaged. Is it the same as the 2007 or is there any difference?

Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Why turn it off? Ideally, your AC is on even when the heater is going.

Why is it that some German cars such as this one simply do not have an "off" switch for the climate control? Sometimes having it on is not desired and/or is intrusive.

I'm still not sure that keeping it on doesn't decrease gas mileage, although my mileage figures are similar for both on and off settings.
    I have used the Conti sports for 3K miles now. Very nice results, no noise(yet) and wear is very even.

Now at 26,000 mi., my Bridgestones RF's (non-SP) are getting very noisy. They still have some mileage to go on them but I'm wondering if this noise factor is something that becomes worse with wear.

Any other owners notice this problem with noise?
    If you want it off, you need to depress the low fan button until the system goes off. :confuse:
    If you want it off, you need to depress the low fan button until the system goes off.

Of course, I know that. But, why not just have the "off" switch? It would save multiple presses of the fan switch depending on how high the fan speed is.
    You probably have about 4-8K left on the tires. See the 3 Series RFT thread. Much info on the EL42 tire problem. There is a BMW srvice bulletin on these tires.

Regards,
    OW
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I hate it when the AC is on when I am being heated and the temp. outside is 32 degrees. I hit auto thinking that AC needs to be turned on manually; but it's one whenever Auto is hit. I have to try it again and see; maybe it's both times i used a new key fob since I just got the car. Maybe it memorize my AC setting to be off now. Will report back...
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Uh, there is an off switch. Turn off the fan and it's off. I drive with mine off 90% of the time now because my 06's HVAC is broken and I don't want to waste 4 hours of my life taking it to the dealership.

Gotta get the 1 year oil change in 3 weeks. I can wait it out.
    I hate it when the AC is on when I am being heated and the temp. outside is 32 degrees. I hit auto thinking that AC needs to be turned on manually; but it's one whenever Auto is hit. I have to try it again and see; maybe it's both times i used a new key fob since I just got the car. Maybe it memorize my AC setting to be off now. Will report back...

Yes, a/c is on (not "one") when the auto button is hit. The compressor is actvated when the outside (therefore inside) temp. is hot enough.
    hate it when the AC is on when I am being heated and the temp. outside is 32 degrees.

Every car I've ever owned, I've always used the AC with the heater. I need to have the moisture removed from the air, otherwise my windows fog up. Shrug.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Every car I've ever owned, I've always used the AC with the heater. I need to have the moisture removed from the air, otherwise my windows fog up. Shrug."

Yup, there are indeed times where that is exactly what I do as well, however, when it's below say fifty, and certainly forty degrees, there isn't typically enough humidity in the outside air to require drying.

Thinking about this logically, just because the A/C is showing as enabled, that doesn't mean that the compressor is engaged, especially when the OAT is say -20.

FWIW, I don't mind having to disable the compressor after hitting the Auto button by turning off the A/C. That said, I rarely agree with what the Auto feature is doing and where it is sending air so initially I press Auto, turn off the A/C, and set the venting that I want. That still allows the system to engage the fan as needed to keep the temperature where I've set it. When I need or want different venting, I set the system accordingly. I'm thinking that in my nearly seven years of BMW driving, I've actually hit the Auto button a total of a couple of dozen times (beyond my initial fiddling with it that is). The A/C button is one that I rarely hit as well, especially because there can be an easy seven to nine months where the A/C isn't needed even once around here.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pattiluvpattiluv Member Posts: 9
    My otherwise black dash on my 330ci has an annoying tan strip that reflects the sun in both the front and rear. I was wondering if others have this problem and if so have they done anything to deal with it? I don't want to put on a cheap cover, and, my upholsterer just gave me an estimate of $200-300 to spray paint those places.

Just curious. I think it's dangerous to drive when the sun hits and i get all that refection there, it gets hard to see.

thanks, Patti
  • lcdrkevlcdrkev Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased 325 with sat. prep. but no sat. receiver. Does anyone know what options you have. I assume you can take to dealer and have sat. receiver installed. Any aftermarket options? Is the antenna wire connected to anything if you don't have the sat. receiver? Thanks.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I run mine with the compressor off most of the time. It seems to compensate with warm air and increased fan speed to keep the windshield clear. I'm a convert to not using A/C much in summer either -- now prefer to drive windows down and sunroof open except when the noise (concrete expressway and semis) is too high. Can't keep rears all the way down due to buffeting, however -- about 4" up seems to work.

It would be nice if the car were available with manual single zone A/C. I think I know better than it does most of the time.
    Too humid in SD to run with windows down in the summer. Wish i could but that's only possible late at night. :(
    I discovered a "neat" phenomenon related to keeping windows open. This applies to the times where outside temps. are not too oppressive in the range of the 60's-low 80's F. You'll get a cooling breeze, not drafty, if you tilt open your moon roof and crack the rear window open on the right (opposite) side to where you are sitting (presumably driver's seat). It works well on my Bimmer and other cars.
    Hmm, so long as the a/c isn't engage even though the a/c light is ON; I guess that is good enough for me. I will keep an ear out to see if it is indeed off when the temp outside is like 29 degrees.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Humid in San Diego? I was there last summer & trust me, there's NO humidity there compared to NY.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Talked to swapalease today and they said that of 130 2006 3 series put into the system over the last 30 days, over 36 have been swapped. Average lease price of 589.

Anyone here try it? I'm considering dropping my 06 330i on there either at my payment or maybe even offering some extra dough off the payment to move the car. $450 a month for a 330i is pretty low compared to the others currently on there.
    Someone wants a 335i?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

No, actually want to lose 330i and get into something else. Possibly. Still torn. I know i'm not happy putting money into my e90 each month when I know I don't want it or like it much. Seems like a waste of my money and of a car some other person may like quite a bit.
    Blue, try leasetrader.com also. Hope you get happy soon. I do like mine, though. Too bad I wasn't in the market or I'd take you up on it!

Regards,
    OW
    I'd love to find someone in the market. Heck straight up it's only 472 a month - by far the cheapest 330i on swapalease. If I don't get any nibbles I'll sweeten the pot and make it a $425 a month 330i.

Swapalease said it should move fast given the low price and the high number of available miles - 17000 over the next 12 months.
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I agree that it should move fast. It will be a great deal for some lucky person, even straight up at $472/month for 12 months and 1,400 miles per month.

By comparison, I am paying $632 per month for my 2006 330i. It's not that I got a bad deal - - my lease was based on a sales price of about $2,500 below MSRP. My substantially higher lease payment is reflective of my (1) opting for 15,000 miles per year, put no money down, and rolled the sales tax and acquisition fee into the monthly payment, paying only the DMV fees and security deposit at drive off.

Anyway, let us know what you get next and if you like it better than your 2006 330i.
    Actually, it's 15k miles per year, I put $0 down, taxes are rolled into the payment (it's really 430-something without taxes) and there's no security deposit as it was my second lease with BMW.

The big difference - I got the car through European Delivery so my cap cost was 14% below MSRP.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    It sure will move fast. I would have taken it if it were known earlier. SD is not far from me. My 328i is now "en route".

BGDC, I sure hope you will still hang around BMW 3-serier forum after your 330i is adopted. I am sure you will at the ELLPS forum. I really enjoy and respect your posts.

Maybe we should start a thread: What BGDC should/will get next? :)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    What don't you like about your 330i besides the looks?

What color did you get? options?

$425/mo. sounds VERY attractive.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    White, sport package, leather, pdc, comfort access.

The car's just too big and too isolated/reserved for me. I came from the e46 ZHP and I miss that car.
    Wow! You got an awesome montly payment for structuring your lease in that way. Too bad you don't like your car. I love my car, hate my payment.
    it definitely is a great deal on swapalease! Too bad I'm not in the market right now!~

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I know someone asked this somewhere else, but what is PDC, and what is included in comfort access?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Park Distance Control... basically, parking radar..

Comfort Access.. You leave the key fob in your pocket... door unlocks, then you push a button to start the car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

one more thing...I don't do grey interiors.... It is either black or black as far as interior colors go. But I guess the price is right and it is only for a short while :P

Don't like black interiors in BMWs as they're one tone. With the grey I get two tone as I use black floormats and the doors/dash are black. Nice constrast. Really only the leather is grey and half the door panels.

The grey in the e90 isn't as nice as my ZHP because the ZHP's black carbon trim and black headliner really contrasted nicely with the grey leather.

If i had to do it over, I'd probably consider the lemon interior or the terra. The coupe's have a nice red that looks stunning with the black pieces.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Do you mean like this?

My 2006 330i has developed an on-again, off-again, ticking noise coming from the engine department. First time I heard it a few weeks ago, I scheduled a service appointment, the sound went away, and I canceled my appointment supposing it would be a waste of time. No warning appeared on the dash. I figured if I bring in the car when it's not making the noise and not otherwise indicating a problem, they will likely find no problem. Now it's happening again. I made another appointmnet. This one I intend to keep even if the sound goes away again. It's not until March 28 though, because that's the earliest they can give me a loaner car. I requested a 335!

Coincidentally, there is an article in the latest edition of Automobile Magazine reporting an engine problem with their long-term tester. They described the first indication of a problem as being a ticking sound from the engine, first only during cold idle and eventually all the time. Turned out to be a valve problem. The car was in the shop for 5 weeks. The cost was $4,300, which was fortunately covered by warranty. Now I am thinking that my car may have the same major problem.

My car has also developed two minor problems which I will have them troubleshoot at the same time. One of the hood latches does not work (so my hood is only locked down on one side). And the rear cupholders are stuck in the tucked in position.

My car is now 18 months old and has 26,000 miles. It's been a very good stretch of trouble free driving pleasure between my near immediate problem with the adaptive headlight feature (one week in the shop for that) and these latest problems 18 months and 26,000 miles later.

Now if they do give me a 335 loaner, maybe, just maybe, I won't be too upset if my car has a major problem which necessitates a few weeks in the shop.
  • mathew1mathew1 Member Posts: 42
    You know. I have the same problem with my 2006 325xi. On cold starts there is a clicking noise. I did take it in and they said they did not find any problem. But I did have an interesting problem. The BMW logo on the steering wheel was chipping from the inside. I suspected some leak from airbags and asked them to investigate. They had to replace the entire logo along with the airbag. They did not tell me what the problem was but if you see a chipping logo it might not just be a cosmetic problem on the steering wheeel.

let us know what you find and if the problem is as you say, that is a biggy.

Mathew
  • icrnkicrnk Member Posts: 1
    What's BMW's reasoning for ditching the 255HP N52 (330) and replacing it with a 230HP (328). I understand they may want to differentiate the 335 further but it would be better to have the lower BMW be somewhat competitive with the likes of Accords and Camrys; or maybe even a Hyundai Sonata. I understand HP is not everything, but why not make use of an engine in which time and money was spent to engineer. Is that 255hp N52 relegated to only the Z4 and the 5 series now? Are there any comparisons between the 330 and 328?
    The 255 hp has been improved from my understanding to 260 hp, then they slapped on the twin turbo to get it to 300 horses.

I think from this standpoint; it's just marketing, and in the coming years the 328 will probably end up getting these 260 engines. Maybe the last year to entice buyers.
    What's BMW's reasoning for ditching the 255HP N52 (330) and replacing it with a 230HP (328).

The 330 was replaced by the 335i. This was known long before the 2007s came out.

I understand they may want to differentiate the 335 further but it would be better to have the lower BMW be somewhat competitive with the likes of Accords and Camrys;

The 328i will obliterate an Accord or Camry. not sure what you mean by be competitive. There has never and will never be anything competitive between the likes of the 3 series and an midsize economy car.

but why not make use of an engine in which time and money was spent to engineer.

The same engine is in the 2006 330i, 325i and 328i. They are using that engine across the board.

Are there any comparisons between the 330 and 328?

No, because the 328i replaced the 325i and the 335i replaced the 330i. The 328i is the base model.
    In 2006, there was the 325 and 330.

In 2007, the 328 replaced the 325, and the 335 replaced the 330. Each 2007 model is more powerful than the 2006 model it replaced. So this is good news across the 3-Series model line.

I think you had a wrong impression that the 330 was downgraded to a 328. Competition with Accords and Camrys? :confuse: LOL.

Having said that, I happen to own both a 2006 BMW 330i and a 2006 Accord LE V6. I got the Accord on a cheap lease deal as a 3rd car for my family. I needed a station car and we needed a car for my teenage daughter to use. I thought I was getting a ho-hum mainstream family sedan (though a very highly regarded one at that). But I must confess to being pleasantly surprised. Dare I say it, especially in this forum, but it actually has a sports sedan feel to it (unlike the Camry). It does not compare to BMW though, nor does it compete with BMW.
    In just two years, the base model went from 184 HP to 230 HP... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I always thought pre-2006 BMW (sans M cars) were relatively underpowered vs the competition. The twist was also lower until recently, don't you think?

Regards,
    OW
    A little.. vs the competition..

But, the 184 HP 325i with manual transmission would do 0-60 in 7.1 seconds... That is not slow.. at all..

Plus, its a lot more fun to wring out a smaller displacement engine, than to trundle along in a torque-monster..

I never complained about the power in the old model... but, then again I'm not griping about the power in the new one, either.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My 2003 ZHP could cover 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Some tests pegged it at 5.6. That car pulled much harder than my 2006 330i.

They may have added 20 hp to the 06s but they added some serious weight to the car too.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    The 255 hp has been improved from my understanding to 260 hp, then they slapped on the twin turbo to get it to 300 horses.

I don’t think the 335 is the same engine with turbos…I think the block is aluminum instead of magnesium (liners or something)…something to that effect anyway.
  • beemer777beemer777 Member Posts: 13
    Hi David
    I have the same on and off again ticking in my 330i. It's off at the moment lol. Anyway, I took it in to the dealer and they said very confidently that it's the fuel injectors that do this on the 330 engines. Well, I sure don't know enough to argue successfully - yet. I'm interested in seeing that Automag long term test. I looked on their web site. The only long-term test was up to around 10,700 miles. Is it the April issue David?
    Anyway please stay in touch on the board if you can, and I'll do the same. I leased the car to late 2008, so I have no out of warranty worries. But I still would like it fixed. It's embarrassing to have that noise. A neighbor who is a licenced VW Audi tech heard it and immediatly said, "OHHHH YOU HAVE A VALVE TAP IN A NEW BMW". Man I hated that lol.
    I'm going to the store tonight to check Automags to see if it's the April issue.
    Eddie
This discussion has been closed.