Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Passat TDI

Comments

• anointedhelpanointedhelp Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Passat TDI, purchased in Sept 2005. I have noticed on at least 3 occasions that when I am traveling about 25 to 30 mph and approaching an incline that a thud comes from the engine as the car is automatically shifting gears. It is quite noticeable. Is this a problem?

Also, Has anyone had a problem with peeling paint?
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    Under similar conditions, I have had the transmission jumping around as if it does not know what gear to select. It works well under other situations, so I don't worry about it.

What color paint is your Passat, and where is the paint peeling?
  • macd1macd1 Member Posts: 2
    Have had an 05 TDI for almost 1 year & love it, except I find the radio, standard issue with the 6pack cd, to be substandard, especially on the am band, with the sports talk shows. Anyone else had this problem &/or how was it dealt with? What alternative radio/cdplayers have been used?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I also have a 2005 Passat TDI. I find the radio reception on both AM & FM to be sub standard. I kind of knew that going in from other posters. It is not even close to as good as the Bose system in my 2005 GMC truck. I am thinking of adding XM radio as the sound quality is decent in the Passat. I do like driving the car.
  • vwtomvwtom Member Posts: 6
    emerls,

Please fill us in on how this turned out. I also have a 2004 Passat TDI. I have not noticed an anti freeze smell. My car only has 39000 miles on it.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I thought diesels were supposed to be less expensive to run?!

They are cheaper on FUEL and 10 times (actually about 4 times) more expensive than Gas engines to repair!

You can buy a complete new gas VW engine for less than a Valve Job on a Diesel!

But, you shouldn't have any problems with a diesel for 200,000+ miles (most of the time)

Gas engines are getting very good on longevity too. So it's just the gas mileage that is better with the diesel, and soon that may be a moot issue as diesel will cost much more than gas! :cry:
    and soon that may be a moot issue as diesel will cost much more than gas!

I'm not so sure. In San Diego we have had BP ULSD available for over a year. The price is higher than gas. But they are getting closer to each other. 3 weeks ago gas was $2.41 and diesel was $2.85 at BP/ARCO. Yesterday same station gas was $2.61 and diesel had gone down to $2.83, same as Premium unleaded.

That does not take into account the driveability factor for diesel. I have driven both the gas and diesel Passat. My Passat TDI is so much better on the highway. It pulls the long hills so much easier than the gas engine. If I can stay 70 MPH and under I get 40 MPG. Around town 2-3 mile short trips it drops to 27 MPG.

Service is only as good as your dealer. The dealer I use is not where I bought the car. He charged me $50.93 for the 5000 mile service. 10k between oil changes is normal for diesel. With gas it is more like 3k-5k miles.

Going on one year with no warranty issues except a broken gas lid. Same dealer replaced under warranty and gave me a loaner as they had to paint to match. That is better service than I have gotten from Toyota or Honda.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    I complained until the replaced it and it is great now...tell them, and keep telling them. My problem was that the AM sounded like it was a tad out of tune, a little scratchy on words with 's', that kind of thing.
  • tassaptassap Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2995 TDI passat. I have the same 'thud' around 20-25KM/hr. More noticed when the car is coasting and the accelerator is pressed and then let go. The car has been toVW under warranty. They have replaced passenger side engine mount, and front engine mount.
    Still same problem. VW dealership was going to see if other passats are doing the same thing. I'm getting the run around. I am seriously selling the Pasat and getting an Accura TL, which I have test driven and out performs the Passat in every aspect.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    tassap/back-to-the-future figures they haven't fixed the problem even 990 model years from now.
    two words for ya: down shift into 3 or 4 , whatever it takes. i think acura tl is in a different class and will also return half the mpg. nice car though!
  • chefbuttheadchefbutthead Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Passat TDI and I noticed that it felt like somebody slammed into the back of my car when I decelerated and then accelerated.
    I asked a couple of friends who told me that they experienced the same problem and were told by others that there was a problem with the transmission module.
    I went to the NHTSA safety board and looked it up.
    I found that there is a notice for the transmission module.
    I took it to VW (I am on warranty) and they told me that I could get it fixed.
    I am bringing my car to them on Wednesday to have it done.
    Hope this helps.
    chefbutthead
  • chefbuttheadchefbutthead Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking for a performance chip for my 04 Passat TDI.
    Does anybody know of a good chip for this vehicle?
    Thank you for any info that you can give me.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are driving a diesel Volkswagen or Mercedes-Benz in the Midwest/Northeast area, please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and where you’re located.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • dditmandditman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Passat GLS TDI and wanted to put a Tornado in it. Having some troubles. Any info is appreciated.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Throw that tornado in the trash. Problem solved.
    What is the reason that you say throw it in the trash? I am interested in learning what others experiences have been.
    Quick internet search....

Popular Mechanics Fuel Savers Test

Consumer Reports same thing

Discovery Channel Mythbusters debunked it as well.

Those are the semi-sceientific tests. It appears most every TV station has done a less than scientific test and the results weren't much better.

If anything, it might mentally get people to drive more efficiently and think the Tornado is helping. If that works for you, by all means install it.
    Thank you for the info. I appreciate you backing up your statement with data rather than just stating your own opinion.

I plan on mailing it back this afternoon. I bought the size that their sizing chart recommended but I was unable to make it fit. I was not about to modify anything on the car to make it fit though. I was curious if anyone had used this before and if it had helped.

Thanks again!
    no tornado fuelsaver here, but passat tdi did nearly encounter a tornado - it got trashed with hailstones just like in the movie twister - on I95 2 days ago. it has ~93 dents and some smashed trim/grille pieces. the windshield did not shatter but the car did shake violently due to the weird wind/updraft/whatever. there were real tornados aloft and water spouts nearby. not sure if any of the tornados touched land but NWS is checking...
    Did these tornados help your mpg? :) Glad to hear you and the car came through in (sort of) one piece!
    thanks sebring95. wife & daughter were in the car at the time - it was just like the movie scene from _twister_ when the car gets shaken & belted with hail. they were terrified but are fine. i don't think any mpg changes resulted but will definitely start my own infomercial if i notice any mpg improvement.
    glad to hear everyone is OK.
  • geminidoggeminidog Member Posts: 1
    If I buy a 2004 or 2005 Passat TDI, will I be able to pass local emission tests in years to come?

I presently live in Illinois, moving to Texas.

[Apologies if this has been discussed already - thanks]
    I do not know of a state that does retroactive emissions tests. You will probably never be asked to have it tested. Right now in CA there is no test available for the VW TDI engines. Saves you money on every license. When the new diesels come out they will probably have a test for them.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    I love my 06 Jetta TDI. Any chance the Passat wagon will be available again as a TDI, perhaps in 07 or 08?
  • jkain3jkain3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 made-in-Canada VW Passat TDI (I think that was the first year they were made in Canada) and am looking for a good parts source--parts are tough to find here in the states. I need a new fuel/speedo/tach console. Any suggestions? I live in southern Oregon so it's a bit of a haul to the border

John
  • burly953burly953 Member Posts: 2
    hi
    Can anyone help. I have a 2001 passat tdi 130bhp.
    On start up the turbo demand is ok but after 10-15 minutes the turbo drops of line or high revs are required for it to kick in, the acceleration is poor and stagnates at 80mph in 6th gear ie no or extremely slow acceleration. engine idle is ok. i am getting oil coming through the EGR VALVE AND HAVE A STUCK MAP SENSOR. Is this the cause or i am looking at a new turbo unit
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    My wife and I just completed a 1622 mile round trip to San Francisco in our 2004 Passat TDI wagon. This year we averaged 40.5 mpg for a total fuel cost of $119.00.

Now I have to go back to driving our 2006 Jetta TDI during the work week because it uses less fuel. ;)
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Some parts will interchange with gas passats, other are unique. Search internet under Canadian VW parts and you will find mail order houses, which is ok if you do at least some of your own repairs, otherwise find a cooperative mechanic who will diagnose and you order. This may not be a great car for an owner who wishes minimal personal involvment in the maintenance of the car (like a superbusy outside sales person who must have the car up and running 100% of time). You could get a second gasoline car or US diesel to run when the Canadian is down.

Now I have a question for you: did you import the car from Canada? If so, tell me about brining it across to the US. I am considering buying a 95 passat turbodiesel for a veg oil conversion, and know something about inport rules, but always could use a few tips or referral to cooperative and econmonical "registered importer"....

thanks...steve myers in chicago at OakfieldA@Aol.Com
  • pmaenterpmaenter Member Posts: 6
    Oddly enough, I was on the 101 (so cal) and saw an 07 Passat Wagon TD. It had Van Nuys Volkswagen temp plates (graphics). I called the dealer and they said they had no idea what I was talking about and that TD's were not avail -especially in CA.
    They were testing no doubt. I saw the RX400h in Hawaii a year before it was released and no one could shed any light on the subject. Did it look good? I have not seen any of the new Passat wagons diesel or gas. It would be a kick if they got CARB approval and kept it a secret.
  • passateerpassateer Member Posts: 2
    Many on-line VW parts suppliers- do a Google search; www.partsplaceinc.com has an extensive on-line catelogue with new and used parts for most VWs.
  • passateerpassateer Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Passsat TDI and noticed the same power issue. Let it go for about a year and then took it to the dealer for a code check. Check returned intermittant EGR code, but tech found a vacuum hose off. He put the hose back on and could not get the engine to malfunction. I drove it home and had no problems. Check engine light came back on after 15 miles, but that is the intermittant EGR code. It's been on since I bought the car 3.5 years ago. Has 233,000 miles on it and still gets 45 mpg. Never checked to see if oil was gong through the EGR- could be bad turbo seals?
  • dieseler1dieseler1 Member Posts: 5
    u still need to break it in...
  • debatingdebating Member Posts: 14
    Today, or planned for the near future? In sedans that is.

I've had a lot of experience with diesel engines in trucks in the past, owned a diesel station wagon in the 80's. With the advances in diesel engines, and the prices of fuel - I believe that its now time for America to awaken to diesels advantages. :)
  • skipageskipage Member Posts: 4
    I am an original owner of a 97 TDI Passat sedan. I got a rebuilt engine and it ever since has NO power going up hills? It works fine on the flat or going downhill. My local VW dealer has replaced the comuter chip to no avail also suggested a new fuel pump and exhaust. Nothing helps. He said it maybe was due to the fact that I was using biodiesel! I know several people who use biodiesel and it does not affect their power. Any suggestions???
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Sounds like a possible turbocharger issue. How is your full-throttle acceleration from a dead stop?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jriggiejriggie Member Posts: 1
    I had trouble with my 2005 Passat TDI and the fuel filter. THe turbo was barely functioning. We changed the filter and all was fine for about 2K miles. Now it is colder, and in the mornings it starts right up and runs well. At idle it s sputters and chugs (no black smoke). After a 50 min commute and a short stop at home -- car wont start. Same thing the next afternoon long commute -- short stop car wont start. The odd thing is that after sitting all day at work or overnight it starts right up.
    THis has all been on one tank of fuel since Sunday. We bled the fuel and it seemed to start up right away, but I cant dontinue that! Could it simply be bad fuel? What other issues would cause it to not start?
    We are new to diesels so my hubbie doesnt know what to do....help?
    Judy
  • sabacasabaca Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 passat tdi great car except 1 problem. Last week out of the blue the transmission blew ! :( It has 106,000 miles all highway, well taken care and know one from V.W. can help or give an answer except 4,000.00 for a new one. Has any one had the same trouble? I am wondering if is it worth to fix .
    If so any good trans. people around?

thanks
    sam
    from
    CT. :surprise:
    Well, transmissions are the weak link in just about all cars these days. Once over 100k miles, pretty much anything can happen. VW trannys either seem to last forever, or grenade at relatively low mileage.

Now what to do....is it worth fixing? Absolutely! What else are you going to do?

I would probably steer clear of a dealer on something like this. For $4,000 you're paying for a new (or most likely factory rebuilt) unit and the dealership is just going to swap them out. It should be possible to have a good transmission shop rebuild yours for half that and it should be just as good as that new/rebuilt unit from VW. Now the hard part can be finding a GOOD transmission shop. I'd avoid Aamco and maybe any chain for that matter. The best way to find a good shop is to ask around. If nobody you know has had trannys rebuilt, call a few shops and see who they recommend. Good luck!
  • sabacasabaca Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tips. You are right i don't know where to find a good repair shop.And that is what the dealer is going to do swap it out. It is hard to find a trans. for a TDI . One person said he had some one and he gave me a price higher than the dealer ! So I am between a rock and a hard place. I was looking at getting a new V.W. and get rid of this one.I hate to spend all that money and get hit with other high cost repairs down the road. :confuse:

HAPPY NEW YEAR,,
    The catch is, the vehicle is worth much less (more than $4,000 difference) with a blown tranny so I think you have to get it fixed. Even if you just fix it and then sell it. You're pretty much taking a hit no matter what but I think fixing it first would be the lesser of two evils. It's not cheap to keep a high mileage vehicle, but it's almost always cheaper than buying a new vehicle. A Passat TDI is not an inexpensive car to begin with so in the scheme of things, you might save money buy fixing/selling the Passat and then buying a much cheaper vehicle (say Civic or some other plebeian car) that will be cheaper to run in the long term. Obviously you give up a lot, but it sounds like low operating costs are important to you. Have you heard of tdiclub.com? There are some great links to TDI specific mechanics and someone very likely can point you in the direction of a shop that could rebuild your tranny. If nothing else, finding a good independent mechanic would be far better for your car and wallet than using a VW dealer. They're not the best at TDI's unfortunately. Good luck, feel free to email me if you'd like.
  • millerikmillerik Member Posts: 3
    I saw your post about the passat tdi with the blown transmission - if you do decide to sell, let me know. I guess I might be interested in fixing and driving it myself, and I could certainly give you more than a dealer would as a trade-in (well, most likely anyway)... Thanks, Erik millerik -atsign- yahoo dotcom
  • jsnapjsnap Member Posts: 4
    I've been searching for a Passat TDI wagon and was wondering what years these were made.

Were they made in an AWD version? If yes, what years?

Also, any year models to absolutely avoid?
    The 2005 Passat TDI Wagon is a jewel. No AWD with diesel in the USA.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    1996, 1997, 2004, and 2005 were the only Passat TDI models imported to the U.S. As with other VW models, the electronics can be problematic. We have had only two minor problems (windshield washer pump leak and electric motor that controls air cutoff to the engine) with our 2004 Passat TDI wagon in 3.5 years. We had a 1996 Passat 2.0L sedan, and I still miss the room and comfort of that car.
  • seasidelanebarseasidelanebar Member Posts: 3
    I need to know where the drains in the water box (underneath the engine bonnet in front of the windscreen) are situated, when it rains it keeps filling with water. the car is a vw passat 03 reg. Thanks for your answers.
  • houstonkenhoustonken Member Posts: 28
    I am thinking about adding a trailer hitch to my 2005 Passat TDI wagon. Has anyone done it ? How much ?
  • cansucansu Member Posts: 5
    Guys:

I need some advice. I bought in Sept, 2005 a 2005 TDI VW Passat. Since I have the car, I had to replace the whole front brakes after only 15 months. I had 2 times the "emission light" on and took it to service and they fixed it. Fine. Then 1 time the "engine light" went on. Went to service fixed it. Fine. All under warranty. Thank god. But replaced once the Turbo. All of the sudden on the street it would not go more than 40mph. Went to service and fixed it. Fine. Received another call from VW for a recall (for a change????) and this time they called me to fix something. Done. Fine. And today while I was coming back from an event, where I had to take the highway, again my car started not go drive more the 40mph. Took different route to avoid highway speed. It is still under warranty since it has only 39500 miles. I have one more year (50K miles...etc. )
    Any idea what I should do? I feel like I am having an used old car? It is bizarre. Please advice.
    Next time you get it back from the dealer put it in the paper or on Craigslist for sale. It will bring top dollar while it still has warranty. Then buy the new Jetta TDI. You seem to know the shop people very well. I would not trade as with all dealers you will get shafted.