Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Passat TDI

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    On Passat gassers you can do $1000 BELOW INVOICE.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    ...and 0% financing on the gassers...
  • ctpassattdictpassattdi Member Posts: 2
    Well I guess I waited long enough and probably as long as possible to buy a 2004 Passat TDI. It was a cancelled order and the last 04 on the lot. While there were already 05's on the lot, I felt the discount on the packed 04 was a better deal, since I'm not looking for resale any time soon. Excited about the prospects of decent milage after years of gas hogs. Now just need to find diesel pit stops in Connecticut.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Watch for BP stations. They are supposedly only selling ULSD ECD-1 diesel. I wish I could buy one in CA. Good luck & welcome to the forum.
  • kitcitokitcito Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of my 2005 Passat TDI, and let me tell you It's SWEET. I ordered it at Heritage Volkswagen Union City, Georgia and they gave me $1,000 below MSRP. This is better than I got from all dealers in Georgia and car buying services.

I'm averaging about 35-40 MPG over the road, 60% interstate and 40% city. The car is far nicer than I imagined. I've read alot of bad comments about VW and there quality, but from what I've seen It's really good.

I ordered the TDI with GLS package, Reflex Silver, ESP, Cold Weather Package. The dealer received another 2005 with all the a fore mentioned items along with the 17" wheels, and Leather package. I wasn't too happy at first with the additional items but upon seeing the car and driving it, I'm glad It came like that.

I also have a friend who bought a 2004 Passat TDI and is trying to sell it because they don't like the color. It's a GLS with Leatherette, 1500 miles on engine and 2-3 months old. They will be letting it go for a steal I think about $24,000. Email me If your interested in there contact information (go to my profile for address). I thought that someone else would like to have a crack at a good deal.
    So the stories of no TDI in the 2005 Passat were not true. Good to hear a happy owner story. Makes me more likely to try and get a Passat TDI. I'd like a wagon though.
  • ctpassattdictpassattdi Member Posts: 2
    Maybe not, my dealer thinks the 05 TDI will continue until the 2005.5s(April/May) The body change will trigger any TDI availability change. I really don't know if anyone has the inside story!!!
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    In my opinion, it's inconceiveable that VW would introduce a diesel option on the Passat, only to have it taken off the market several months later. I suspect that the TDI option will play a bigger part in their 2005.5 Passat plans. Time will tell....
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    In my opinion, it's inconceiveable that VW would introduce a diesel option on the Passat, only to have it taken off the market several months later.

You mean like they did back in 1997? LOL!!
    From my experience with the sales people here in San Diego, I am not sure VW is really interested in our market. Do they send us what they don't sell in Europe? Maybe they make a lot more in Europe on their cars. The prices in the UK are horrendous compared to the US. Even the Jag costs more in the UK than here.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "You mean like they did back in 1997? LOL!! "

VW does view N. America as an important market! Unfortunately their view is not consistent with their past and current efforts here. In fact VW is losing market share in China(VW wants to sell more cars there than in Germany) and they are having a tough time with sales in Europe.

TDI Passats are among the very few hot sellers in the VW family. Now the theory they will discontinue the car next year! That sounds crazy! Even Mercedes Benz views the diesel potential positively(E320)

VW mismanagement is a global phenomena and not a N. American phenomena. VW stock market valuation has dropped the most among car makers this past year. For the first time ever Hyundai's car division has a stock market value equal to VW(this valuation definitely reflects VW mismanagement)
    Is Porsche and Audi pulled down by the same mismanagement or do they stay separate?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Porsche has no connections any more, at least that I know of, to VW the Corporation. Their technical collaboration continues [Toureg / Cayenne], but Porsche's management and supervisory board, I believe, are unconnected with VW's, and the corporation seems to go its own decidedly independent way.

Audi is more problematic - there are interlocking connections between supervisory board members, stock ownership, and marketing strategies, and of course shared engineering and manufacturing and suppliers.

There are still members of the Porsche extended families [including most famously, the Piech branch] who have connections and own pieces of both VW and Porsche. But these two entities are managed completely independently - that is not true with Audi and VW, which are still joined at the hip in most important respects.
  • atfatf Member Posts: 8
    I have a 05 TDI Wagon on order since June, Dealer said it should be here in 2 weeks but VW
    Will not confirm the date, what is the port of entry? Thanks for any Info. Rick
    True, Porsche is a fully independent company.
    Audi is a part of VW and is doing quite well. After Phaeton, I can only hope that VW will discontinue making premium priced VWs that cater to the Audi market.
    That is one crazy strategy---Invest billions in order to design premium VW vehicles that are similar to Vw's most profitable division(Audi) .
    This is the most intentional Cannibalization strategy I have ever seen.
    Anyway despite my complaints, I am still dreaming of buying the new version of a Passat Wagon TDI with manual sometime in 06. I guess I will have to immigrate to Germany in order to accomplish that.(I believe there would be future warranty problems if I bought a model in Germany that does not exist in N. America)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Port of entry? There are multiple ports depending on location. What is your location?
    You are right, I found out it will come in at Brunswick GA.
  • btravelenbtravelen Member Posts: 2
    Interesting, as Houston is a major port of entry for VW.

We picked up our '05 GLS wagon yesterday that was ordered as an '04 in March. We got 1800 below MSRP which was supposed to be 500 over invoice. Lots of folks are paying sticker, or more, and are spoiling it for the rest of us. I've never paid sticker for a vehicle and wouldn't have owned this one if I had to pay it.

Sure glad I was able to make a deal as this is a SWEET vehicle.
  • atltdiatltdi Member Posts: 3
    While I was getting my first oil change for my 04 TDI wagon I noticed a hot and loaded Passat TDI sedan waiting at Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta....Get it fast! I love my wagon....Recently I drove from Atlanta to DC (3 adults plus luggage) on one tank of fuel...On the way home to ATL we didn't even stop for a potty break...amazing fuel mileage....amazing bladder control!
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    Our Passat TDI Wagon is at the dealer, a few months earlier than anticipated. Its an '05 in the really dark (graphite?) blue with tan leather, heated seats, ESP, but no sun-roof or alloys.
    I'm 6'5" so head-room counts, and the stock rims will have snow tires for the winter, with Ultra-performance summer tires on 17" (or 18") alloys for the summer.

The problem is that it needs a glow-plug and there are almost no parts for the PD-TDI engine in North America. So we can look at it, sit in it, but can't drive it yet. But after waiting several months another week won't matter.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT THE BEST-LOOKING AFTERMARKET WHEELS ARE?
    After looking at many styles (and price is a factor, so no O.Z. super-legarras or whatever) but one of the ones we like most are the stock wheels from the Passat W8 (the 9- or 11-spoke ones).

But very interested in other suggestions.
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    BTW: I asked the dealer how many TDIs they sell.
    It was >50% a year ago.
    They claim about 80% of all vehicles sold (at this dealership) are TDIs.
    Note that they are located ~30 miles from Vancouver, and much of the local population commutes into the city (and mass-transit doesn't extend that far)
    The lot is full of Jetta TDIs, with smaller numbers of Golfs and Beetles, and a few Passats (a 1.8t 4-Motion Wagon looked very tempting ... too bad we can't get the TDI in AWD here)
    "too bad we can't get the TDI in AWD here)"

Indeed, I am sure the a VW TDI 4motion wagon would be a hit on both sides of the US/Canadian border.

I just hope the Passat TDI discontinuation rumors are false. Discontinuing one of their most successful models would be like Toyata discontinuing the Prius!

I live in Toronto and I noticel a lot of Jetta/Passat TDIs. I think the marketing people in Wolfsburg cannot comprehend the concept of success and will kill off any product before it becomes too successful(Ok, I know I am exaggerating a bit, but I think there is a grain of truth in what I am saying)
  • houstonkenhoustonken Member Posts: 28
    Test drove the 2005 Passat GLS TDI with leather at Advantage VW in Houston. Amazing car. Stickered at $26,235. Salesman said they were "generally getting sticker" for the car. At the end of the test drive, he did ask me if "there was a price where I would go ahead and buy the car today." I think they are willing to drop a little off of sticker.

I'm having difficulty justifying the $3K to $5K price differential between V6 & TDI. Yes the TDI is a better car than the V6. Is it worth the price increase ?

I'm also looking at the Prius and Honda Accord hybrid. Don't know which I'll end up with, probably will the the first one to give me a deal or drop a decent amount under sticker.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Of the 3 the Passat has the most room by far (only one available as a wagon).

I didn't know that the V-6 Passat was only $21,000, but even still the TDI would be my choice. TDI has more torque than the V-6 and much better mileage. Resale will also be better. It goes without saying that mileage will be much better.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    You have your prices mixed up - based on 2004 pricing the TDI GLS Passat Sedan is only $205.00 more than a GLS 1.8t 4 cyl. Passat Sedan with an automatic. The only way to get a V6 in a Passat is to get a GLX which is base priced at $31,430 with an automatic. The V6 is approx. $5k more than the TDI. Of course a GLX has a lot of equipment included in addition to the V6.
    My error.

Everyday in the paper, VW Dealers are advertising a 2004 Passat GL for $17,995. Some other ads were offering a 2004 GLS for $20-21 K.

My point is that it seems hard to swallow the diesel costing $4-$5000 over the cost of a comparable GLS (4 cylinder).
  • machaanmachaan Member Posts: 30
    >>"too bad we can't get the TDI in AWD here)"
    Indeed, I am sure the a VW TDI 4motion wagon would be a hit on both sides of the US/Canadian border.<<

TDI 4motion Tiptronic wagon might do 0-60 in about 15 secords ...you'll a have tough time keeping up with those toy scooters they sell at Target:)

Anyone remember the Passat W8 commericials?
    TDI 4motion Tiptronic wagon might do 0-60 in about 15 secords ...you'll a have tough time keeping up with those toy scooters they sell at Target:)

Looks like the Brit's get the 4Motion with TDI. And it does 0-62 in 10.4 seconds. I wonder when the 2.5 diesel will make it to the USA?

http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/volkswagen/volkswagen-passat-1.9-- se-tdi-130-4motion-4dr.asp
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is a fast toy scooter that goes 127 mph (from above link).

- Do you need to be told you a million times not to exaggerate? : ^ )
    "TDI 4motion Tiptronic wagon might do 0-60 in about 15 secords"

Would it take 15 seconds? Also who needs Tiptronic, I would rather have a manual(better mileage and performance)
    If the Brits can do 10.2 seconds, I think we should have the same priviledge on this side of the Ocean.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

Those Brit stats of 10.4 secs is for the sedan. I wonder how much slower a TDI wagon would be?
    The wagon is less than 100# heavier than the sedan, so I wouldn't expect enough of a difference to ever notice.
    I picked up my 05 Passat TDI WAGON ON THE 15TH It
    IS A LOT NICER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE, I PICKED THE GLS LEATHER WITH WOOD,There is no major changes in the 05 , 16 Inch wheels instead of 15 Inch, side turn signal has moved up to the bottom of outside mirror's I have the beige Interior so it came with oak wood colored dash and trim instead of black.
    I fueled up today and it is getting 31MPG town and urban.
    I picked up my 05 Passat TDI WAGON ON THE 15TH

Sounds real nice. What was the price for that car in TX?
    $28,710.00 GLS Leather with wood, with 4 splash
    guards (Charleston SC).
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    "My point is that it seems hard to swallow the diesel costing $4-$5000 over the cost of a comparable GLS (4 cylinder)."

But, my question to you is this....will that 4Cyl Gasser go 300K miles or more like the diesel? (add that on top of the fuel savings and higher resale)
    Figuring 300,000 miles for the life of a car strikes me as a little silly. Assuming I put 15,000 miles a year on the car, it would be pretty insane to think I would keep the car for 20 years.

My dad & I had a 1982 Jetta Diesel that I sold in 1994 with 180,000 to 200,000 miles. It was very ratty the last 5 years of its life. I doubt I'd keep a car that long unless I had to live in it.

A more realistic scenario would be 8 years & 120,000 miles. Based upon the fuel calculators I've seen, it would be a close call as to whether I would make $5000 back especially based upon the recent spike in diesel prices.

Frankly, I'm sitting squarely on the fence about getting one. Part of me says buy a 4 cylinder gas Camry/Accord/Passat and save the money. The other half says that the Passat TDI is the wave of the future a la Europe.
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    True, but also, because of that 300K mark (an 04/05 PAssat is built much better than an 82 Jetta) the resale is higher.

I, OTOH, do look at that 300K mark realistically. I purchased a Jetta GLS TDI in April...5 months and 14 days ago, I took it in Wednesday to have my 20,000 mile service done (but then again, I live 80 miles east of Chicago and my family is in ATL an my wife's in IA). This is a personal use car, not a business use.

(BTW, the car has performed exceptionally and I now average 46MPG in mixed driving and AVERAGE 51MPG on the hwy...that is 5 MPG above the EPA estimate.)

I think that if you kept the car for 100K-120K miles and (with the added higher resale) you would see your investment returned.

Here is a sample from Autotrader

1996 Passat TDI 116K $8000
    1996 Passat GLX VR6 117K $5900
    1996 Passat GLS 4CYL $110 $5495

Unfortunately I am huge proponent of diesel vehicles therefore I cannot give you an unbiased opinion.
    My wife drives an 83 Mercedes Benz 300D. Although our Benz has been among our family members for over 21 years it drives fantastic(the slow acceleration and John Deere Tractor noises existed when it was new)
    This car is like an energizer battery that counts time in decades not in years.

We hope to pass the car on to our daughter in 10 years when she hits 16.
    300K seems to be a pretty good possibility for you at 40-50K miles a year.

I've generally ignored trade-in values b/c I traditionally get so little in trade in that I tend to just give away my car to my kid brother or babysitter. I sold the Jetta for $300. The next car I had got $1500 in trade in. The dealer refused to take the Buick so I gave that to my brother. I think I got $3000 on the last car.

My other concern I have about keeping the Passat TDI for the long haul is engine noise. Yes the car is very quiet now when it is new. So was my Volvo. At 10 years old, the Volvo is uncomfortably loud at 75 MPH. If the TDI gets anywhere close to being that loud in 5 years, it is gone.
    In another 4 years, you could qualify for parade car insurance here in the US.
    The best scenario for buying the TDI would be if VW stops making the TDI's. That will keep your resale value higher and you'll get every penny plus more back on the tail end. They only made the Passat TDI for two years in the 90's. I've seen '96 Passat wagon TDI's with well over 100k miles bringing $10,000 on ebay in decent shape, up-to-date maintenance, and records. What were those new, $15,000? About as good as depreciation gets on run-of-the-mill cars. As for trade-in-value, that's a crap-shoot anyway you look at it. Book values are a good measure, but if you're willing to give away a car for far less than what it's worth, I'm not sure why you'd be too concerned about the cost on the front end. Just buy what you like and be done with it.
    I think your scenario makes sense, but if the Passat TDIs are quickly discontinued ... will parts be a huge problem.

About my tradeins, it's not that I give away a car for less than its worth. If a dealership is offering me $1500 (or less) for a car in good running condition, I'd rather give the car to my kid brother or my retired mom.
    Parts shouldn't be a problem. Hasn't been for the older TDI's. Beyond the motor itself, there isn't much difference between the gas/diesel. What I meant by giving away, pretty much anytime you trade you're giving money. If the dealer was offering $1500, the worst case scenario the car would be worth $2500 or so to a private party. Many dealers offer several thousand less. They may work the numbers a million different ways, but anyone that trades typically loses out unless we're talking very new, expensive vehicles where the possible tax savings comes into play. One thing for sure, the likelyhood of a TDI anything only being worth $1500 with a little over 100k miles is slim to none. My '00 is over 90k miles and I could easily sell it for 60% of what I paid for it.
  • griz440griz440 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 TDI with 70,000 miles on it and it has been a great car but I do have a problem. Between 70 and 81 mph in 5th gear there is an engine vibration that in turn sets of buzzing in the instrument panel. It is maddening and occurs at just the wrong speeds. It occurs as one is going up through the gears as well but you go through the rpm range so quickly it is hardly noticeable. Anyone have insights?
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I would first suspect a loose shield.
  • garlandgarland Member Posts: 14
    On a 05 Passat diesel how many liters of oil does it take to do an oil change with filter.?? I will appreciate your help very much.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    The November 04" Consumer Reports has an article on the Passat TDI, with some comparisons to the gasser. They give the edge to the gasser because the TDI only got 5 more mpg overall average in their real world tests, averaging both city and highway. Basically they downgraded the TDI for acceleration, noise and emissions.
    However, they did not take into account the cost of diesel fuel vs. premium (which the gasser requires) or the re-sale value.
    Just bought the only available 2005 Passat TDI Wagon in Houston. Sticker $27,200. Paid $26,600 with free $200 pinstriping.

Love the car.