Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• bmwbob27bmwbob27 Member Posts: 35
    Ok. I know that we talked about it before. What's going on with the climate control??? As I asked previously, does any other owners have the tempeture indication problem? 100 degress outside and 82 indicated!!! The service department states that the sensor is under the front bumper. I guess it's 15-20 depress colder under there??? The indicator will slooooowly rise after about 15 minutes to somewhere close to the actual outside tempeture.
     My main question pertains to the climate control system. Outside tempeture is about 60 degrees and the control setting is 75. No Heat!!! Push the auto on and the A/C blows cold air!! Raise the tempeture setting to High after turning off the A/C and theres heat. Lower it to 80 and there's outside cold air entering. Who designed this system?? BMW doe it correct, as does the $8,900 Hyundai!!! How do you turn off the whole system or just get fresh outside air?? I know, someone posted here that he puts a piece of paper over the sensor on the dash and everything works just great. I didn't buy a $40,000 quality vehicle so that I can make that kind of a "Fix"!!
    Another heads-up on the multi-panel roof. Lexus has evidently released the improved vehicles. Marin Lexus has another one for sale as of this afternoon. Flint Mica/Black. $40,137.
  • lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    bmwbob27
    You can ask the dealer to program the vehicle so it will not turn on the compressor everytime you hit the auto button. You then manually switch the A/C on and off as you wish. To arrive at a comfortable position you just have to move the temperature up and down as you wish. I set mine at 25 degree celcius(I am canadian). My experience is you have to set the temperature a few degree higher than you expected to be comfortable. BTW what is the improvement to the multipanel moonroof. Unfortunately I have the beta version of the multipanel moonroof and I have the rattle problem when the moonroof is half open.
  • craignhpcraignhp Member Posts: 14
    We're getting ready to replace my wife's 2000 RX with a 330. We going for a Breakwater Blue/Nav and wanted the DVD. Problem is there aren't any being shipped anytime soon in our area. Has anyone had a system put in by an aftermarket company? My Lexus dealer will stand behind this company and they've done work for me before that's been excellent.
    I have another question for the experts. I have the option of either Ivory or Grey with the Breakwater Blue. I like the similar tones better with the ivory, but I think the grey goes better with the Blue. I just don't really like the very dark dash on the grey interior. Any opinions?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Purely a personal choice, but we went with the Light Gray, for the reason you noted. The Ivory is a "warm" color whereas the Breakwater Blue is a "cool" color. We also liked the contrast with the darker dash and the darker wood, plus the Ivory is in tons of RX300's and wanted the extra differentiation. The Ivory looks very rich however and some people like the Maple wood better than the darker walnut - again it's purely a matter of personal preference so go with what looks best to you. Ideally you could see them in person, side by side, and then make your decision.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    I concur with JBaumgart; Gray definitely looks better with blue; The only reason I am looking at ivory is because, ineterstingly enough, all vehicles I have owned till date have had blue / black / gray interiors and I really am looking for a change this time around. But yes, gray looks best and yes again, It is a matter of personal choice.
    Good Luck!
    Lamkin:
    The service department said that there is a anti-rattle pad in the track and that Lexus did an upgrade on the weather/water seals of the roof.
    Thanks for the tip on turning off the auto A/C. I'm still not going to be satisfied with the outside tempeture differental. The service manager stated that the Lexus' engineers are rethinking their placement of the sensor. He told me that the sensor doesn't work until 15 miles per hour is achived.Then the indicator only rises or lowers at 2 degree incriments over a long period of time.About 15 minutes!!! Doop!! They had better re-think this situation!!
    This might be another stupid question, but does the screen block the view in the rear view mirror as much as I'm thinking it would? I was looking at aftermarket systems yesterday since we're having a hard time finding an RX with the options we wanted and it just looks like you'd be pretty much eliminating the view from the mirror when the screen is down. Am I all wet on this? I'm thinking of headrest monitors instead at this point.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    My wife and I have no problem backing up when the DVD screen is down possition. Indeed if you look at the rear view mirror (intetnal mirror), the portion of the 7 inches dvd screen block the view, but you still be able to see the rear object in general.
    we don't have navigation system. I install the 2 small Blind Spot Mirrors from Brookstone for outsite rearview for changing lane
    Having screen hang down from the roof is best possition for rear passangers to view the movie at any sunlight condition, but block "some view" form rearview mirror.
    Having the after market dvd install and screen possition on the headrest is good for rearview mirror, but you may have problem viewing the movie when the condition of the sunlight direct or angle into the screen.
    Therefore, I prefer lexus OEM dvd which hanging from the roof.
    Goodluck.
  • alanekalanek Member Posts: 21
    I've had my RX330 w/Perf/Nav for about 2 weeks. I love everything about the car,however it is a real inconvience to stop the car to use the Nav. Yesterday my kid wanted to go to a Burger King. The good news is that the POI found one. The bad news is I had to stop the car to look for it. For me it seems to be more dangerous to have to pull over on the side of a busy hwy than for my wife sitting next to me to be able to program the navigation while driving. I know there is a sensor in the passenger seat that senses weight in order to deploy the airbag. Why couldn't they just hook that up to the navigation.

Is there anyone at Lexus that will listen to our complaints?

Thanks, Alan
    2004 Lexus RX 330 Silver/Black Nav/Perf
    2001 BMW 525 Nav
    2002 Audi A4 Avante
  • blackrx330blackrx330 Member Posts: 25
    I too have the Performance package and navigation. I can understand Lexus' concern that a driver would take his eyes and mind off the road and attempt to use the nav. The decision to control this was probably driven by Lexus' attorneys and fought by their marketing/development folks.

Do you know that Lexus' NAV allows you (while driving) to add POI's to the display? You can pick categories such as gas, restaurants, etc., and they appear as icons on the screen. The icons can then be touched to reveal the name of the establishment. And if the vehicle is stopped you can even see the street address and phone number if it is in the database. Perhaps your wife could have found a Burger King using this method or even a Jack's or McDonalds?

I can't believe that someone would be so moved by a child's demand for Burger King (specifically) that they (2 adults) would pull a car off a busy highway endangering themselves and others! I would imagine that the same adults would attempt to enter a destination into a NAV (whether there was a capable individual in the passenger's seat or not).
    As a fellow driver I would rather take my chances with someone darting off the side of a highway and sitting there than to have someone trying to spell Bugrer Knig on a touch-screen while driving 70mph.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Isn't the nav in the RX voice activated? When the vehicle is moving, does the unit lock you out of voice activated use as well? My wife's '02 RX nav does not have voice activation so I'm not sure.

Also, perhaps you've seen that Honda Accord commercial where the guy asks the nav to "find nearest Chinese restaurant" while driving around town and it does for him. Isn't that how its supposed to work?
    I used the busy highway as an example. However I do not see why if there is someone occupying the passenger seat that the system still will not allow any type of input. On the POI screen there is a button that will bring up all the restaurants in the area in alphabetic order making it fast and easy to find any restaurant by name or distance. It is a great feature however you have to stop to use it. As for touching the icons, if you have 10 icons on a screen you still have to take your eyes off the road to read the name of each restaurant, gas station etc till you find the one you want how is that safer?

What I am saying is that the owner of the car after agreeing to use the system safely(as everyone has to do before using the system)should have the option to let a passenger use the navigation.
    I agree with your point. If the car senses someone in the passenger seat, it should allow for passengers to fiddle with the nav system while the vehicle is moving. There is no safety issue there.

Also, any driver who would try to input data (or do any other distracting activity for that matter) while driving is reckless, careless, and should know better -- cell phones anyone??

Still, I don't feel that companies or the government should try to over-regulate and overprotect us to point of nausea. As adults, we should know better.

The following statement was only my opinion and no harm was meant by it. Please press "I AGREE" to continue! ;)
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    The consensus is that the Lexus navigation system is not as good as Acura and Infiniti, but better than BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. This was the conclusion of a leading consumer magazine and the leading technical/computer publisher. It is also echoed by those who have used many of the systems on the market.
    Lexus's decision to disable functionality of the navigation screen is more appearing to be concerned with safety than anything else.
    The situation you describe - having to pull off the road and stop when you otherwise wouldn't have to - happens frequently among families. And Lexus creates this unsafe situation with it's poorly-designed system. There are plenty of situations that warrant the nav unhampered, so blackrx330's comments about Burger King are not relevant.
    Sorry gteach26, the RX330's navigation is not voice-activated. You'll have to move up to a Honda Accord to get such functionality.
    My contact at Toyota is trying to get more information. So far, she is hearing that Toyota (as probably Lexus) know that there implementation is unpopular and without good basis. Rather than backpedaling, they are hoping they can wait out the issue. By 2005 or 2006 model year, all 2005 Lexus and Toyota models with navigation system with voice activation. I do not understand, nor have I been able to get any information on how that really helps. So it appears Lexus is listening, but not really doing anything.
    so no help is offered there.
    Rx has more gadgets and features than the more expensive and more off-road capable siblings GX and LX, yet those vehicles get the voice activated nav, while the RX does not. Go figure!
    Several weeks ago, the results of a major survey were release that showed that, in accidents cause by distracted drivers, cell phones were the number one contributor. What was inferred by many, was that cell phones should be banned. But what not many people realized was that radios, the number two contributor, trailed by a small and almost insignificant margin. Therefore, anyone who concluded that cell phones should be banned, would also have to concluded that radios should be banned as well. When this was pointed out, much of the drive to ban cell phones died down.
    My point is that you really need to be careful jumping to conclusions about the dangers of things like cell phones, radios and navigation system.
    If those devices could be used most of the time without taking your eyes of the road - through things like steering-wheel mounted controls and voice-activation, then drivers would use these methods almost exclusively. But manufacturers should not preclude drivers from using controls on the navigation unit when they are need during driving. If that were true, then all the radio buttons would be disabled during driving - only the controls on the steering wheel would work.
    How does this all relate to the RX330? Lexus has created a really nice vehicle (as they usually do) with a couple glaring problems. For some, those problems, like the inept navigation, may be enough to cause them to be unsatisfied with the vehicle.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just read where the Nav System in the new 2004 Toyota Prius will have voice activation - the base price of this vehicle is $19,995. I don't know why Toyota/Lexus decided not to include it on the 2004 RX330, which costs about twice as much.
    While looking at the Acura MDX the salesman told me it only works if the car is perfectly quiet. While sitting still he turned off the air conditioning. He said the wind noise while driving is enough to throw off the device.
    However being able to search by phone number is an option I would like on the Lexus,which is still way better than the Nav in my BMW.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    For those of you who have had significant wheel time with your RX330, have you found the vehicle to be underpowered? If so, in general, or only in certain situations (ie. passing, hill-climbing)?
    The Acura MDX navigation voice recognition works if the car is not quiet - on the freeway for example. But it won't always work WELL, even if the car is quiet. I think the technology isn't where it needs to be - not the kind of refinement you would expect from Acura, or Lexus for that matter. But if you speak clearly and articulate well, it almost always understands you. I had a 2001 MDX prior to my 2003. The nav system was almost identical-except for the voice feature. I really don't think the voice feature is that big of a deal. What is a big deal are the other problems with the Lexus nav. For example, I would buy an RX 330 right now if it had an Acura navigation system WITHOUT voice control. But not letting the passenger be the navigator - something we do frequently in the interest of safety - is to big of a negative for us.
    On balance though, the RX 330 offers many advantages over the MDX, so the RX is still a great (just as good as the MDX if not better) vehicle.
    Bodble2:
    Yes, I have found the same displeasure with the power. It's like stepping on a sponge with little response. I also have a BMW which is much more responsive even though it's 185 hp verses 230. I stated previously the difference in the weight of the 2 vehicles. I find that if you "tap" the transmission selector to the left, which takes it out of 5th gear (overdrive), the power response is much better.
    I lowered the tire pressure from 36lbs to the recommended 30lbs. It did make a noticeable improvement in the ride even with the 18 inch wheels and tires.
    You mean from a standing start, or during passing maneuvers?
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    but still, the degree of response start from standing is far "slower" than the X5. The up and down shift during maneuvers is also less response compare to the bmw. I still like to drive my 1986/325IS with stick shift and the 2001/X5 3.0i sport package with steptronic transmission. My wife and kid prefer the rx330.
  • guyacaronguyacaron Member Posts: 2
    Quick question about the 330 NAV.

Does anyone know if you have the capability to have it search for let's say the closest restaurant or ATM, like you can do with the MDX?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I would totally disagree that the Acura nav system is better than Lexus. I have a 2002 ES 300 with nav and my brother has a 2002 Acura CL-S with nav. Even he feels the Lexus system is better by a slim margin. One especially nice feature of the Lexus nav is offering three alternate routes to get to a destination, something the Acura does not offer (at least his car/year doesn't).

The Lexus also seems to have superior clarity and colors and quicker "thinking" time. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Supposedly the 2004 LS 430 will have the next-generation Lexus nav system.
    lenscap:
    The Acura Navigation system provides Easy Route and Direct Route functions. I leave mine on Direct Route which calculates the most direct route to the destination. Pressing Easy Route recalculates the route (making it easier to follow) at the expense of time/miles.
    Again, it isn't just the consensus that feels Acura's navigation system is better than Lexus's. A leading consumer magazine and the leading computer technology publisher came to the same conclusion. Having said that, it is still possible that some will prefer the Lexus over the Acura.
  • clburtonclburton Member Posts: 14
    I don't know for sure if ATM is included in this, but you can mark restaurants or gas stations or any number of things and it puts little flags (different flags for different kinds of restaurants) all over your map. If you press one of the flags, it gives the name, address, ... of the restaurant
    There's only a 5 hp difference between the RX330 and the 3.0 in the X5 -- 230 v. 225.

But is the RX really that lethargic?
    Guyacaron, The nav in the RX330 gives you 2 options.
    1-You can show icons on the screen for many different POI's(points of interest)ATM's being one of them. Change the scale to increase the search area.
    2-On the POI screen there is a button that will show you all of the POI's you select by either distance or name.(To use this feature you have to be stopped.)
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    You may feel slower in RX330 due to minimal wind noise.

0-60mph in 7.8 second according to Car & Driver July issue.
  • blackrx330blackrx330 Member Posts: 25
    Good point tomjava. I don't think the RX is really that slow or sluggish.

Lexus claims 0-60 in 7.7s (FWD) / 7.8s (AWD)
    BMW (X5 3.0) claims 0-60 in 8.6s
    MB (ML350) claims 0-60 in 8.5s
    Acura MDX (per Edmunds) 0-60 in 8.1s

My RX330 definitely feels quicker than our '01 ML320.
  • knockknock Member Posts: 10
    Except for the engine noise, the acceleration of the new RX is very good. Normally the DOHC engine is weak at low RMP but the new 3.3l V6 delievers max torque at 3600rmp which matchs MDX and X5's 3500rmp. But note MDX has a SOHC V6 and X5 uses an inline V6. They are supposed to be stronger at lower rmp at the cost of MPG numbers. So I think Lexus did a great job the lower the peak torque RMP from about 4500(??not that sure) to 3600 while still taking the advantage of better MPG.
    The ML350 does 0-60 in 8.5? The ML320 took over 10 sec. or close to 10. I'm surprised the ML350 has that much of an improvement.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Will it be helped by those electrical motors?

Would the electical motors and the gas-engine be powering the car at the same time or does it start with electric at low speeds and then the gas takes over at a certain point?

Lexus is promising V-8 power with higher gas mileage than V-6. Seems too good to be true.

Also, does the fact that all four wheels are powered by the electrical motors result in a better AWD performance than the current system?
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 RX300. I have driven the RX330 twice and feel that there is more road noise than mine when driving over my beaten tracks in spite of what I have read in the reviews. I am thinking it may be due to the 18" wheels which are on all RX330's received by my dealer. Therefore, you can't even test drive the standard 17" wheels to see if that is the problem. I am told that it takes a special order to get the standard wheels, which sounds fishy to me. I am in FL. Does anyone have any knowlwdge of this situation?
  • bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
    For an excellent primer on hybrid cars, go to
    www.howstuffworks.com and do a search on their site for their article on "how hybrid cars work". The animated descriptions of both the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight systems are very informative. The power split planetary gear set on the Prius is an amazing piece of engineering. Does anyone know if this is the system Lexus will use?
    Reading the article should clear up some misconceptions sometimes voiced about hybrids and answer some questions posed on this board.
    The 18" wheel/tire option comes with wider tires, so I suppose it does make sense that it would generate more road noise just by that fact alone.
  • scaredmbscaredmb Member Posts: 11
    Checked my '01 ML320 specs...... 0-60 in 9.0s. Not sure where you get 10+s?
    ML320, 0-60 in 10.3 sec.
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    Someone asked if replacing the manifold cover makes a difference. I had to cancel my appointment for the ssc to tommorow. I will inform then.

With regard to nav. I have both the acura nav (01 CL) and the Lexus nav. I feel the Acura nav is more versatile on the road. It is one of the few that allows activity while driving. The RX330 nav has more features, bigger screen, nicer display, except you can't use it while driving. Other than picking poi's from what you set on the screen. Either way, they are #1 and #2, still better than all other navs.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The 0-60's in that issue's vehicle comparisons were apparently taken under poorer conditions. Every vehicle tested posted 0-60 times lower than what they received. That includes the RX300 and MDX.

It'll be interesting to see a direct acceleration comparison (not just 0-60, but 0-3, 50-70, etc.) of the RX330 with other vehicles. Unfortunately Car & Driver just did its second major SUV comparison, before the RX330 release, so we may not see one for a while.
  • spurdurspurdur Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the Lexus RX 330. I drove at night and can't see 40 feet in front of me with the headlights on. It is terrifying. Can't see a stop sign or deer coming near me. There is a dark black line of demarcation where there is light and then a black horizon above it. I had them adjusted at the dealer once and he made a minor adjustment. I am bringing it back tomorrow for another adjustment. Any suggestions. I don't want' this car if I am going to continue to have this lack of visibility at night. The high beams are up in the trees which is fine for me, but not other drivers.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    Perhaps I didn't phrase my question very well in Post #1166. I feel pretty certain that the 18" wheels are mostly to blame. My real question has to do with whether or not the 18" wheel option comes on every car, or whether I ought to be able to get 17" wheels without a special order and the long wait (which would then take it into Canadian production). I have thus far only talked to the dealer in Sarasota FL, but wonder whether in other parts of FL or even in other states, the vehicles do come in at least sometimes with 17"
    wheels. Thanks.

Spurdur re headlights. I have heard complaints similar to yours, but not anywhere near as serious, if you have high intensity headlights. They are more difficult to align.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Xenons in general have a sharper cut-off than regular halogens. It does take getting used to, but some problems are caused by improper aiming. Make sure the dealer aligns them properly and verify it at night before you're surprised.

Even if the aim is corrected, there is still some personal adjustment necessary if one hasn't driven xenons before. Overall they're an improvement but the sharp cutoff may seem strange at first.
  • ildriverildriver Member Posts: 7
    We have found many vehicles in the Chicago area without 17" wheels. I'm not sure why that is all you are finding there. You do not need 18" unless that is what you want. Most vehicles here are equipped with the premium package and heated seats. Many are w/o DVD and navigation too. I'm not finding it hard to FIND the car I want, but just finding an honorable dealer. We walked away from a deal due to a very lowball offer on our trade. ($3000 less than KBB's 'fair condition')

I have not heard about the headlight issue - hmm, something to investigate more.
    Do the 330's lights "auto-align" based on the car's load like the 2002 RX? On my wife's '02, whenever the car is started the lights go up, down, and then "fall" into place based on how high the truck is based on load levels. If the 330 does this, I'd think you'd have perfect alignment all of the time.
  • mb280mb280 Member Posts: 27
    I picked up my new R330 about two weeks ago in black forest green with ivory interior with the premium plus and nav packages. The vehicle is comfortable, beautiful inside and has sufficient power for me. Not having any basis for comparison, the nav package is fine.

BUT for the past week when I have walked outside to go to work or anywhere else I have taken my 1994 MB280 with over 160,000 miles. It seems to handle better, be more responsive and give a greater sense of security.

I need the storage and trunk room (real small in the MB280) and the all wheel drive for the winter, but his car may have been a mistake.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    You're comparing an SUV to a sedan for handling? That doesn't seem at all fair. Why did you buy an SUV?

Responsiveness? to steering adjustments? Well, I suppose that's comparable on any vehicle and it depends on what you want.

As far as security, you should have more security in an SUV than a sedan in general just because you are higher and more on par with other SUVs and trucks. If its rollovers you are concerned about than you should expect less security in an SUV, no way around it.
  • mb280mb280 Member Posts: 27
    I also just spent the weekend in wife's ML320. It, too handles better.