Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Break-in oil" usually comes up in connection with Honda cars. But as someone around Town Hall pointed out, just try going to the Lexus or Honda service department to buy some. You'll get the deer in the headlights look :-)

Some do say that break in oil is a lighter weight oil than what's recommended for normal operation, but that theory has also been attributed to older cars with poor machining techniques.

Usually the owner's manual addresses break in and recommended fluid changes.

Steve, Host
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    Way back when, I understood break-in oil to be 5W, which was the initial oil the manufacturer used in the car. At that time the preferred weight was 10W, so I always thought the 5W was the break-in oil. Nowadays, cars and people use 5W oil, which I guess is due to improvements in oil technology. More thoughts to chew on.
  • tsheertsheer Member Posts: 23
    Most every car today uses multi-viscosity oil, which changes viscosity according to temperature. 5W-30 varies from 5W to 30W, for instance. I don't know that any cars are using a fixed-viscosity oil such as 5W or 10W.
    I got the svc done today, and watched as it was done. The tech checked fluid levels and tire pressure, and sprayed lube on the door hinges and hood strut.

For those who have asked whether they should go in at 1,000 mi or 30 days, I would say it does not matter.
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    I love my RX but I abhor squeaks. Within a week of taking possession of my RX, I noticed a squeak in the dash...at the point where the instrument panel meets the rest of the dash. I had this checked at my 1000 mile service and my dealer told me they "haven't had any complaints before." I can't tell they did anything and now the dash makes even more noise when I hit a large bump. It is especially pronounced when the air-conditioning is on.

I'm curious....has anyone else experienced a noisy dash? If so, have you been able to solve the problem?
  • mb280mb280 Member Posts: 27
    I checked the air pressure and corrected it to 30 psi at cold temperature. It made a tremendous difference and the car seems to track truer.

I had corrected it before my 1,000 mile check up and I think that my dealer may have adjusted it at that time.

The RX seems to be extremely sensitive to tire pressure being set evenly between the tires.
    The tech said there is an oil change at 5,000 miles, but not at 1,000 miles.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I believe there are some wild and crazy guys in this forum who say you can wait until 7500 miles, depending on your driving conditions. Either way, the first one is complementary. Definitely, positively, and absolutely no need to change the oil less than 5000 miles or 5 months from the purchase date.
    Sorry about your dash squeak problem. I would recommend you make an appointment to have a technician take a test drive with you, so that you can point out the problem and help him locate the source.

If this problem is intermittent, try to determine the conditions that make the squeaks the most noticeable and reproducible. Try to schedule the test drive under those conditions. Temperature may play a big factor. We had a rattle in our '01 MDX dash that disappeared at higher temperatures, or after the car warmed up for a half hour. It was a bear trying to get the rattles to occur after I had arrived at the dealer! They finally reproduced the rattles on the morning after I had left the car with them overnight. The dealer kept the car one more night so that they could verify the fix the following morning. I didn't mind, as I was given a CL Type S as a loaner, and most importantly, there were no more rattles when I picked up the MDX.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "Definitely, positively, and absolutely no need to change the oil less than 5000 miles or 5 months from the purchase date."

Probably not, but I feel good about spending a few bucks to change to Mobil 1, at 3000 miles or 3 months after taking delivery. Old habits die hard, I guess.
    Thanks for the note. The noise is intermittent but I do seem to notice it more when I first start-up the car and the air comes on. I suspect the noise is related to the temperature contrast. But who knows, the noise could be coming from somewhere beyond the dash. I had a horrible rattle in my '01 Accord that I thought was coming from the trunk. Turns out it was the sliding fabric panel for the sunroof (and Honda never could fix it correctly).

I know this means I have to head to the dealership with my next service but this isn't very convenient. The closest dealer is 40 miles away. I travel a great deal (by air) for my job and when I am home I have to take an entire day off of work to take the car in for service (no Saturday service at my dealer). And, this gets back to one of the many reasons why I got rid of the Accord. My Lexus dealer will pick-up my vehicle at my house and leave a loaner on service visits.

I guess I am just a bit bummed that I haven't been able to fully escape personal visits to the dealer for service. But I will get over it. I still love my RX.
    I thought I would pass this along from today's Web version of the Moscow Times. Russia's new elite love luxury cars but in the past the choice was almost always Mercedes or other European makes.

(Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2003, 7:47 PM Moscow Time)
    In January to September 2003, sales of Toyota and Lexus on the Russian market made an impressive 200-percent streak against the same period of 2002 and reached 17,624 cars, the press service of the Russian office of Toyota Motor reported. Sources in the company announced that in 2003 they expected to sell over 20,000 Toyota and Lexus cars in Russia.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Japanese Nameplates Appeal Most to Luxury Owners (Yahoo - JD Power APEAL study)

Steve, Host
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    It's very annoying "thug" come from transmission when up & downshifting at the range of 30-40mph during rush hours. Schedule to bring in next week, hopefully some kind of the software update but not major operation.I don't think this new 5 speed auto trans is reliable as the previous 4 speed. One thing I'm sure it can never, ever beat the X5 5speed steptronic auto trans. After 2 years still love the X5 at every ride, but start to hate this RX330 already after test drive to work for week. Let see how it does after service from the dealer.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    In the JD Power 2003 APEAL Study results (referenced by Steve above) the RX 330 was the #1 ranked luxury SUV. The Lexus GX 470 was #2 and Land Rover Range Rover #3. The study measures "owners' delight with the design, content, layout and performance of their new vehicles."

Also, Lexus ranked #1 as a brand.
  • tedcruisertedcruiser Member Posts: 50
    Seems like the study should have included the transmission. Never seen a owner "delight" in the fact that his transmission is acting up.

Tedcruiser
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I think it is for the initial quality.
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    To "bmwbob27":
      "You are not using your moonroof enough!"
    According to the unofficial Lexus RX 330 manual:
     "Using the moonroof controls frequently will build thick callouses only your fingers. These callouses will protect your fingers from the exterior door handles which incorporate pinch points that are engineered to...."
    Come on "bmwbob27", get with the Lexus mind set. Lexus knows better. There's a reason for all this stuff!
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    This was not the initial quality study. Once again, it was the APEAL Study which stands for Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout. It measures how much new vehicles actually appeal to the people who bought them on various characteristics.
    It's a sad commentary if the RX330 is so highly rated. The quality is good, my transmission does not clunk, my wife finds the passenger ride most comfortable, the toys are great, but my long deceased '76 Suburban was more fun to drive.

I would sell today if I wouldn't take a big bath.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If "fun to drive" is an important criteria to you, why would you buy a model that doesn't meet your expectations? This is one element that you can easily judge from a single test drive.
    It's nearly impossible for a single SUV to meet everyone's expectations. Probably the one weak spot for the RX330 is in the "fun to drive" category. However, I still believe it performs reasonably well in that department when compared with many other SUVs, especially when equipped with the 18" rims.

If one is willing to sacrifice some luxury, reliability, customer service, comfort, cargo space, and/or expense (initial cost and/or resale value) in order to have an SUV that is more fun to drive, there are other good choices. The FX45/35, X5, Cayenne, and Touareg come to mind. If utility isn't really needed, there are plenty of sedans that provide more smiles for the buck. The trend in our family these past few years is to have one sport sedan for the "smiles", and one quality SUV for all the other reasons. The RX330 fits the bill very nicely.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    steptronic and sport package. The 3.0 litter in line six is economy & fun enough. Want higher octane! get the 4.4 or even the new 4.8IS.
    Yep, I completely agree with that. Want even more fun? I think the test drivers at both Car&Driver and Edmunds have said the 540i station wagon sport is more fun to drive than the X5 4.4i. They also claim the wagon provides more cargo space. (I haven't driven both, so I can't speak from experience.)

Of course, there are some disadvantages of jumping to an X5. Although the driving experience is more fun, jumping from the RX330 to the X5 typically provides an increase in purchase price, less cargo space, lower fuel economy, a less compliant ride, and statistically worse reliability.
    Probably should have looked at the 540i but I don't think that has all or 4 wheel drive. The FX is fine except that that ride (if you want their nav package) is like a rock with the sport suspension. I can't understand Infiniti's marketing department in that regard.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    I have had my RX330 about 6 weeks and am generally happy with it, but have one annoying problem. The cruising range aspect of the trip computer is so inaccurate as to be completely useless and all I get from the dealer so far is that you can't expect any more. I am getting 21.6 MPG on the computer and 20.2 by actual measurement. It only goes to slightly over 300 miles when I refuel and never increases as the fuel mileage increases. On the last refuel, it went to 303 miles. I traveled 321 miles to where the warning light on the gas guage came on. I refueled at once and it took only 15.8 gallons even tho' I really milked it. The range read 12 when the warning light came on, so the computer is even at odds with the guage, since apparently there were over 3 gallons left in the 19.2 gallon tank so that I could have gone about 380 miles.
       I will admit that I hate it when components just don't work especially when they are touted during the sales process. I have had 6 computers in various cars and altho' computing MPG is usually inaccurate (always high, never low), the range has always been reasonably accurate.
        I have not seen any posts on this subject. Does this mean that others are better than mine or does everyone grin and bear it or not pay any attention to it?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    believe it's the RX computer and not the one within the station fuel pump??

The next time you refuel when the 19 gallon tank is supposedly empty and refueling is substantially less then drive around the block three times and then fuel again. You'll need about three more gallons....
  • katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    So I'm not the only one with this problem. ... Cruising range is definately way off. Couple of weekends ago I left Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod for a return to Boston, about 112 miles away. Cruising range says 31 miles. It's late and I don't find an open gas station, am contemplating a call for roadside assistance when I finally find an open station at about 25 miles. It took 14 gallons.

And I am suspicious of mileage but haven't cross checked it yet. Is there a way to check mileage if you don't trust the odometer? Haven't seen a "measured mile" around here.

Katherine
  • rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    Anyone know why there is no functional lighter? Alot of people, including myself, would've found a functional lighter quite useful even though we may/are non-smokers. The lighter didn't have to be used only for lighting cigarettes. For example, during an emergency, it could be used to light a torch or something (don't know if it'd really work, though).
    I have also noticed the same problems with my trip computer. And I have also had surprises when filling up. Based on mileage and the gas gauge I am always expecting to pump more fuel into the RX than I actually do.

I'm not too concerned about this. To me, the computer is making an error on the side of caution. This is a good thing in my mind.... it forces my forgetful husband to put in gas a bit sooner. He would let the tank run dry if he knew the computer was wrong (hence I haven't mentioned it to him). And, if I really want to know exact mileage, I will calculate it manually by comparing actual miles traveled to total gallons pumped.
    My wife has been complaining about this on the RX. She's been driving it for the last few weeks. I'll post more specifics later, but thought now was an appropriate time to add fuel to the fire.
    Regarding the cruising range, our trip computer also errors on the side of caution. Haven't really taken the time to pay close attention, but such an error doesn't surprise me. According to my Acura service advisor, the MDX is set by default to count down to 0 miles when the gas tank has at least 20 more miles of cruising range. I had him adjust our MDX computer to remove the extra 20 mile bias. If my memory serves me correctly, he was able to adjust it via a specific pattern of trip computer and climate control button pushes. Don't know if the Lexus trip computer can be adjusted or not.
  • buffnboubuffnbou Member Posts: 12
    Anyone know where the sensor/probe is located on the RX 330 for the outside air temperature? Probably a dumb question, but hey, that's me! Turned 500 miles today and so far so good-no problems or real complaints. The only gripe I have is the lack of a detent or little gap above the sun visors - hard to pull them down-they get a lot of use here in sunny Las Vegas!
    I suppose it is better that errs on the side of caution, but I too have noticed that it is giving me a 3 to 4 gallon reserve.

By the way which grade of gas are people using. My dealer said I could use regular and have not noticed any pinging or loss of power. At least that is one advantage over the ML.
    My dealer also said to use regular which I do. No pinging.
  • rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    My dealer said to use super, but I've been putting regular. No pinging.
  • bmwbob27bmwbob27 Member Posts: 35
    To buffnbou:
    The outside temperature sensor is located under the front bumper in the center on a vertical steel member. Look there and it's very visible. Now that you have found it you can you can forget about it and agree with my previous postings."This thing is worthless". It takes about 15 minutes after starting the vehicle to start and indicate an approximate temperature reading. Then for another half hour it may indicate any temperature that "it" wants. Never the correct reading. I pass an outside thermometer/clock sign on a bank that for many years has been "right on" with the time and temperature. My BMW's are within 1-2 degrees consistently. The RX330 is about 5 -10 degrees higher or lower, never the same. Even after driving for an hour!!! Another engineering marvel from the Japanese!!! They are so good at copying that you would think that they would have "blueprinted" the BMW's computer system and gotten it right. I would not have 4 gallons of fuel with 30 miles range indicated left!! They also should have copied the sliding/tilt moon roof controls and the memory seat functions with individual operator's keys. What about the overide for the left hand mirror that tilts??? How about the overpowering running lights?? Useless!! Oh yes, we must live with the rain sensor wipers that can not be turned off!! What about the "automatic" climate control that doesn't work unless you operated it manually?? Hey, I could go on complaining about this great vehicle with all of it's "minor" quirks, but I'm stuck with this vehicle for awhile. Just as mb280 indicated. Or maybe I can find someone to "unload" this uneventful very "soft" ride on. I'm still waiting for someone to let me know if they have pinched there finger in the outside door handle. Open the doors with your right hand and see what happens. Oh yes, The brake pads are great. I haven't had to clean the wheels. You see, I can praise the car!!! I give credit where credit is due. Love and Kisses, BMWbob
    I wonder...

I have always thought the OAT needed some DSP.

A direct input from the outside air temperature sensor to the HVAC ECU causes a malfunction.

So IMMHO it would help if the vehicle had to be driven some minimum distance above a minimum speed before the OAT were considered valid.

But still, I don't understand, the driver OAT indication could still be direct reading while the signal is digitally processed for validation for the ecu.
    I was told that the computer remembers what the OAT (I assume that is "outside ambient temperature"?) was when the car was last shut off. It resumes operation at the remembered OAT until it has traveled enough distance (don't know what that distance is) to sense the new OAT and adjust. Explains some of my experience when my rx starts blowing cold air before it changes its mind and begins throwing heat or visa versa.
  • mkinsonmkinson Member Posts: 3
    wwest indicates that after a fill up, if you drive around the block a few times then fill up again, you should be able to get another 3 gallons or so. If this is true, I believe it would indicate that there is no reserve for those folks that wait to fill up at the last minute.
    I'm only bringing this up because I'd hate to see someone get stuck somewhere thinking they had plenty of reserve.
    Regards
  • bmwbob27bmwbob27 Member Posts: 35
    To Katherine6:
    The OAT has no basis on the climate control system that regulates the interior comfort level. It is a "read only" indicator that doesn't work properly. The interior of the vehicle has a sensor that relays the information to the "automatic" climate control system. The climate control system is so faulty that is not possible to set a temperature level (72+ -) and maintain it. The operator has to regulate the temperature manually. This is why you are experiencing the cold air blowing in your face. As I have stated previously, "It is a failure and a complete engineering blunder".
    Now go open the door with your right hand and tell me if you had pinched you little finger?? Love and Kisses, BMWBob
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    I would think that the theory proposed by wwest in #1839 does not apply because the regular fuel guage works perfectly. I have tested it 3 times now by refueling as soon as the warning light comes on and have gotten between 3.1 and 3.4 gallons remaining in the tank. Using this assumption you can estimate your range very accurately the old-fashioned way. You just have to ignore the computer.
       If your idea applies, then the computer would be more accurate, but the gas guage would be way off. The fact is that the computer and the gas guage each tell a different story and are at odds with each other by about 50 miles.
       However, I will try your experiment at the next fill up.
    DEAD WRONG!!

The OAT sensor output signal has ALWAYS, 90 LS, been one of the parametric inputs to the Lexus automatic climater control systems. MY 92 LS still has a switch so that I can modify the signal (at 55F OAT the ECU "sees" a sub-freezing OAT) during the colder months so the A/C compressor NEVER cycles.

And for ALL the Lexus vehicles in our "family", I ALWAYS rewire and relocate the OAT sensor so it cannot be influenced by the radiant heat for the nearby radiator and A/C condensor.

The LS sensor fits nicely into the right front fascia under the bumper with several holes drilled for airflow. The RX sensor gets moved to below the bumper on the driver's side.

On the hottest day of summer if you put the sensor (still connected to the system) in an ice bath the system will start up trying to heat the car.

On a cold day it causes the system output to be warmer at startup and remain in the warming mode for a much longer period.

Before I relocated the sensor away from the radiant heat sources and with the "sub-zero" switched on the A/C would still sometimes cycle briefly due to radiant heat in slow traffic or while stopped.
    Yes. I have pinched my fingers in the door handle several times while entering the car. I find that if I start the car and hold my hand in front of my face, the blast of cold air from the vent reduces swelling of the injury by promoting vasoconstriction of the blood vessels of that area (see page 887 of the expanded RX manual).
    Those excellent brakes really come in handy if you get the optional navigation system which forces you to come to a stop each time you need to use the navigation system.
    I have heard that the government is now requiring that all new cellular phones have a built in GPS reciever/locator. Maybe they can/will also use it to determine that the phone user is in motion and force pulling to the side of the road.

One can hope.
    Great idea "wwest"! Let's use the GPS to disable the radio while the car is moving as well. And of course we must install smoke detectors to prohibit smoking (fiddling with such a detector in your car should be a felony...).

A recent AAA study (reported by CNN and others) has it this way (ranking driver distraction):
    #1: Reaching, leaning, etc
    #2: Manipulating music/audio controls
    #3: Eating, drinking, etc.
    #4: Conversing
    #5: Grooming
    #6: Dealing with Passengers
    #7: Reading or writing
    #8: Using cell phone
    #9: Smoking

So let's see, we also have to detect when people are talking and eliminate passengers. The latter should be easy. Just build cars with one seat.

Even studies that put cell phone use as a high risk, also put radios high. So using the studies to ban cell phone use would require banning radio use as well.

There is probably a better place to discuss this (certainly not in the RX forum). But I could not let the mindless suggestion of "wwest" go unchecked.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    I just use the rear power hatch to climb thru the vehicle to the driver's seat, bypassing the Killer Door Handles (KDHs).

Pretty simple. Of course, it's important to not park too close to walls, trees, or other vehicles that would block the hatch from opening and require a trip to the ER after using the KDHs.
    Gee, I don't know. It's not very often that I feel the need to defend Mr. West, especially when he writes about his Tim "the Toolman" exploits regarding rewiring sensors and climate control functions on brand new $50K vehicles, but this time I agree with him. I think damormino was a little too quick to jump on the ol' soapbox. ONE study doesn't provide conclusive evidence.

How was this study performed? Was it representative of ALL drivers? How many drivers (in terms of %) use cell phones? In general, there is a higher percentage of people who eat, reach, and converse in their cars than talk on cell phones. I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that is why cell phone usage was ranked lower in this study. It has a smaller offender representation. Same for smoking.

These types of study are sometimes useful, but I have to go by my own experiences and my own eyes. I've seen too many vehicles with poor driving practices while the driver is chatting on his/her phone: such as unsafe lane changes, cutting people off, and driving aimlessly slow in the fast lane.

I've also seen other studies by AAA that were real laughers, which is another reason why I am suspicious...
    Glad to see you are back! In my opinion, your humor is most welcome!

I've got a better solution for the KDH syndrome. I think we need to start a recall campaign against Lexus to incorporate a robotic door opening function via the remote. Instead of merely unlocking the driver's door, a push on the "UNLOCK" button also OPENS the driver's door. Such a convenience might eventually lead to more car-jackings, but at least a car-jacking won't be as dangerous as them door handles.