Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    The 330 also has an Easy Access Mode that automatically lowers the vehicle for ease of loading/unloading while in the Normal/Low modes.
  • maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    Recently, I went to check out the 04 RX330. Being a 300 owner, I was anticipating the 330 release. Personally, the new exterior looks too soft. The 300 reminds me of the rugged Laredo. This new body is almost minivanish. With regards to the interior, the new one is nice- but not leaps better. There is an advantage to the 330 when it came time to drive it. Better pick-up and greatly appreciated better turning radius!

Some here have mentioned the 300 is too soft, wheels are too small, and the nice new feature of the rear-view camera on the 330.

Our 300 is equipped with 20's, Alpine DVD, etc. It handles great. The stock wheels were not cutting it.

Heres a link if you want to check it out:
    http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=239240- &make_type_query=make%3DLexus&model_brand_query=model%3DR- - - X-Series&tree=Lexus%20RX-Series

I know some may not like what we've done to it, but many at least respect it for what it is- A young person that made his RX a personal expression & completed his vision for the car.

Is it true that the RX's will not be made in Japan anymore? That sounds dangerous.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Did the test drive with competitor cars yesterday. Unfortunately not much of a challenge in the 330 course which was a few turns on the old runway. (They also had courses for GX and LX with the appropriate competitors. These courses had steep dirt hills and other challenges.) When I participated in the Volvo event they had a more interesting course but didn't let you drive the competitors on it. They just had them available to sit in.

The 330 handled well. I own a '99 RX. I tried to pay attention to the "blind spot". It seems it will be a problem but all cars there had backup camera which is wonderful. Just too bad it is not available as a stand alone item. Not sure how the blind spot will come into play when moving over on the freeway. I assume proper mirror alignment can solve any problems. I drove the X% and the ML. The 330 compared favorably to the X5 on the short course. The ML seemed balky compared to the 330. I didn't wait for the Volvo and MDX. From my drive on the Volvo course I think it compares favorably with the 330.

I do have some concern about head clearance. I am 6' 4" and had to special order my RX w/o the moonroof to get adequate clearance. Not sure if one can order the 330 w/o it. It seems to have a little more head room than the RX did with the moonroof but not much.

Seems they have listened to their customers and have adopted a number of suggestions made here; stereo controls on the steering wheel, dual climate control, map lights, extra gear, smaller turning circle, new engine design. I really can't see the big deal with the automatic rear hatch and some other add-ons. Still no info on AWD system.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    A lot of work on your RX. Did you have to make any changes in the suspension to put on the 20" wheels? Where does the screen for the Alpine go when not in use? How much did all of the stereo, Nav, camera work cost?
    Thanks for the photos.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    To those that have driven both cars-is the 330 far superior as far as driving, features, etc? I like the smaller turning radius others have mentioned, but have not personally seen the new vehicle yet. The improvements mentioned such as dual climate controls, etc. sound good. I have auto wipers on another Lexus and do not care for this feature, but prefer manual mist control.

On my 2001 I think the standard radio is great, interior decor is very good, and personally like the ride.
  • maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    No changes were made to the suspension to fit the 20's. But we did add 1/4" spacers in the rear because the wheels were extremely close to the struts. Originally, we wanted to use 22's but there is no way they would fit (very disappointed).

The car was customized here in LA by 310 Motoring. They do great work as you can see. With regards to the cost... they cut us a nice friend deal. But if you walk in for all that work: Apline components, MB quart speakers, amps, JL's, camera, 20's, plus all the labor would run about $14-15K.

The Alpine screen goes back in to the dash. Look at the first pic. The top component is the DVD plyr, the bottom component is the head unit that has an in-dash screen that hides away at push of a button or when engine is turned off. Pretty sweet.

Here's the link to the interior pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=239240- &page=2

Thanks for checking it out!
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    You can get the wood steering wheel and shift knob with the performance package. The wood can be had as a separate stand alone option for about $380. Someone may have to order a special car to get it, but it is available.
  • davidcalhoundavidcalhoun Member Posts: 13
    Every car review that I read concerning the new RX 330 brags about how Lexus kept the cost similar to the old RX 300. The car reviewers seem amazed that Lexus could offer more SUV for the same cost as the old one.

Let me assure you that Toyota will be making more profit on the RX 330 SUV. There was a Tariff on the old RX 300 since it was considered a truck built in Japan and shipped to the States. The new RX 330 will eventually be built in North America (Canada) and will not be charged a Tariff.

Could anyone tell me what the Tariff cost was on the old RX 300? At one time I thought I heard it was 12 to 16%.

Granted, they are selling us a better SUV now.
  • lmoraleslmorales Member Posts: 5
    I took the 330 for a test drive sat. I really like it (currently own a 2000 rx300). I am about 5'11" and I could not adjust the rear view mirror to totally encompass the entire back window. It would not tilt all the way up. Anyone else notice this or can this be adjusted? The salesman told me that the rain auto-sensing device is now part of the rear view mirror. I definitely preferred the acceleration on this to my existing rx300. My only other issue is that the NAVs are very limited and were not ordered with the Mark Levinson audio (at least in this dealership).
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Lexus informed me that the 330 rear suspension was changed such that one could fit rear snowchains.

So I assume it was the tire sidewall too close to the strut. True?
  • nyfl6nyfl6 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing the RX330. However, there have been several posts, here and elsewhere, mentioning a potentially dangerous blind spot. Can someone be more specific about this, including where it is, when it could pose a problem and what I should look for when I test drive the RX330. Thanks.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Does the shifter for the sequential sport shift have a different shift gate pattern than the regular tranny?
    Thanks for the info on the wood steering wheel and shifter knob. I'll look into ordering them separately since I seriously doubt the parts dept will have them on hand at this early date. But to be clear, the WU option was NOT available for the Eastern Region performance package initial builds.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Unless something has changed this year, you won't like what you hear from Lexus Parts on getting these items separately - if that's your intent.

The good news is - they're available. The bad news - probably $300+ for the knob and $1000+ for the steering wheel. In fact, on the LS, the wheel is around $1400-1600.

The good news is that you can install the knob yourself and the steering wheel should be a minimal, 1-hr labor charge at the dealer - even though it's easy to do, you might not want to play with the airbag module.

Yup, they are just a $350-400 option when you special order with your RX330 vehicle. After the sale it's a different story.

I changed from the factory leather wheel and knob on my LS400 to factory wood because I found the wheel as a take-off, cheap, in perfect shape.

Before installing the wheel, I wondered why the seller sold it and went back to leather - now I know why; the leather is a lot more comfortable but the wood cosmetically looks a lot better.

Style over practicality - your choice.
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    Has anyone that has taken delivery on their RX330 done so through a lease. I am curious as to what residual % and money factor you got on it? Thanks for any insight.
    Jeffmust2 cleared up what I was saying. The wood wheel and shift knob are $380 as an option on the car from the factory. Once delivered it's a different story.

As for different options, I have a 2002 ES 300. I wanted the adaptive variable suspension to give the car a firmer ride. It was not available at all, in any car, in my region. So I ordered a car and three months later got a car with AVS. Anything can be had with a special order and three-month wait.
    For those looking at the RX 330 but maybe wanting something sportier, Lexus will be coming out with a new SUV based on the next generation GS. The SUV should be out either end of this year or early 2004.

The concept version, called the HPX (for high-performance crossover), will be unveiled at the New York Auto Show on April 16. Who knows, this may be the actual vehicle since the previous RX and GS were "concepts" that turned out to be the real things.

Lexus says the new SUV will "probe new automotive ground by combining sport sedan performance, maximum versatility and innovative luxury in a sleek package."
  • jrynjryn Member Posts: 18
    The artist's rendition of the Lexus HPX makes it look like the Murano or FX35. I'll be curious to see if that segment of the market really takes off.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_photo.html?recn- um=004253

If I weren't willing to trade a lot of performance for utility, I would stick with a car. I don't see the appeal in the new hybrids, esp. since these S(U)V's don't offer much more utility than you could get out of a sedan with fold-down rear seats. Makes me wonder if people just want the higher seating position.

Anyway, soon we'll have real photos to look at and we can better judge the HPX then.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Just saw a Neptune blue mica RX300 in Boston yesterday. We both stopped at the light. I didn't pay much attention even with the daylight because of the color. Until I realized it was RX300, it spread away. The only thing I remember was seeing the shorty radio antenna on the roof near the rear liftgate and the clear tail light lens. Cool!
    Thanks for posting that drawing!
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Jeez, ANother SUV from Lexus!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I am not sure, but 12% to 16% sounds right. If you are from Evendale, we have a mutual RX300 friend who lives in Marblehead.
  • khanhvnkhanhvn Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if RX330 AWD is full-time (like Mercedes ML) or part-time (like XC90/MDX - i.e. it's mostly front drive in normal condition) ?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    According to what I've read, the RX 330 - like the RX 300 - uses a center differential to split the engine power evenly (50-50) between the front and rear wheels under normal conditions, but the new VSC system is able to re-apportion power both front-to-rear and side-to-side if wheel slippage occurs. This has eliminated the need for a viscous coupling as was used on the RX 300. The VSC system is also able to control either front or rear wheel slide during cornering, and then apply either torque or braking intervention to individual wheels, in order to keep the vehicle pointed along its intended course. The new system is supposed to be lighter and mechanically simpler than before. And with the driveshaft elements situated in a straighter line, friction, driveline noise and vibration is supposed to be reduced.

If its real-world performance is able to match all the hype, it does sound like a significant advancement over the previous model.
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    Both the Mercedes ML and now the RX330 have an open center diff. To find the wheel or wheels that have grip, the traction control system must apply the brake to the first slipping wheel, which will make torque to go another wheel (usually the other back wheel), then brake it also, which will then send torque to the front axle. This can take a few seconds and makes it more likely you can get stuck. (I know from personal experience in an ML.)

A viscous coupled center diff will send torque to BOTH the front & rear at virtually the same time, so you don't have to wait for the traction control system to brake both rears in order to get torque to the front.

Yes, an open center diff is simpler & cheaper, but better? I don't think so!!!!
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    It's high-end audio but you're still in a noisy auto environment. Or do you really need a fancy ML system to listen to loud rock?

Also, I'm surprised at how many people care about the Navigation Systems, which are a great boon to carmakers/dealers as high-priced, high-margin options but the utility of which to consumers is dubious.

Any dates yet on when the hybrid version of the 330 will be available and what pricing will be? And what options packages you'll be forced to take?
    1) Electric windows - First time you plunge into a lake, I'll bet they stop working and your windshield fogs up. Try buying a Lexus without 'em. Whatta rip.

2) Stereo systems - again, try buying a Lexus without one; just another money waster. They distract the driver and all music after the 70's is junk and all the news is bad so why listen at all? - and, to top it off, the electricity they pull increases drag on the alternator belt/pully and ruins your mpg. Why, the Mark Lev system ALONE will have you pulling into a Shell every day you drive that RX. Hey, I read all about it someplace on the Web.

3) ISO latch things - hey, if I wanted a Mommy Minivan - I'd buy one! 'Nuff said.

Navigation a dubious option and rip-off? Maybe - but my wife won't buy/lease a vehicle that doesn't have it. Period.

So I guess what's a dubious option and/or rip-off is in the eye of the beholder. IMO, of course.
    We also wanted the NAV system which this year is made even more practical with the rear back up camera. The Mark Levingson is not so important, as we figure the 130 watts and 8 speakers that come with the standard audio is enough, and the sound from the standard unit is as good as many upgraded systems in other vehicles. Like jeff says, each buyer has to make up his or her own mind as to what's important.

What we decided to do is to place a special order to have the car configured the way we want it. Most important in this decision was that Lexus packaging in our area would not allow you to have both the Performance Pkg and the NAV. They are also building the Performance Pkg vehicles in just three colors - Black, Silver and Mica Gray, all with black interiors. We decided on a Breakwater Blue with Light Gray interior. We also ordered the wood steering wheel and shift knob, which is not normally available for Performance Pkg cars but we think adds a nice touch.

We're not sure yet if Lexus will actually build the car to these exact specifications, but we're hoping they will, at least as respects the Performance Pkg/NAV combination. We could certainly live with the silver/black, for example, and if the Levingson must come with the NAV as a package, that would be OK too although we really don't want to have to pay that much extra for it. Our current car that we will be replacing ('98 A4) still runs like new, so we don't mind the extra wait in order to get a vehicle that's built to our specifications.
    My point is, how often do people go to unfamiliar places that they need the NAV systems?

When people are going to unfamiliar places, they usually get directions, which are probably better than any map. People will know which streets are one-way or prohibit left-turns or which have a lot of traffic. So the directions will often take those factors into account.

Can maps or NAV systems impart this additional info?

I'm surprised the NAV screens aren't the distractions that cell phones have proved to be. Or that LCD screens playing videos would be.
    Even my little hand-held portable unit, a Garmin GPS V, will not route so that you'd be headed the wrong way on a one-way street. It also tells you in advance to get in the left lane, for example, so that you're prepared to take an exit. While I would agree that NAV systems CAN be a distraction if you allow them to be (just like anything else) I would say that if they are used correctly they can actually reduce the danger when you are driving in an area that you are not intimately familiar with, since they give you a "heads up" of what to expect in advance. It's much safer than trying to read a paper map while driving, IMO.
    Don't yet know about the RX330 but as for GPS/Nav in the RX300:

Worse than worthless, Lexus has designed it to be an intentional distraction. Many of the ancillary functions, radio, climate control, indications also use the Nav LCD, but are suppressed, cannot be continuously displayed, in favor of the stupid moving map display. You can suppress the moving map display, but you will still need to move an ancillary function's control in order to bring up the display for those functions. And it's not programmed like your typical screen-saver. On the Lexus when you use the control "knob" to reactivate the display functionality the control "knob" does its "thing", and then brings up the display.

Stupid nuisance design.

The Nav itself has so many firmware flaws it cannot be relied upon without first checking it against another source. And the DVD information is concentrated on the major US cities, if you wander into the suburbs of Seattle, or off to Bellingham, the DVD street information simply isn't available.
    The nav system on my 2002 ES 300 is outstanding. I drive to many small towns in the Midwest and the nav has never missed a beat. And you never need to look at a map because of the voice instructions.

Another great feature is you always know how far you are from your destination, both in time and miles.

I personally would highly recommend the nav.
  • m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    Well, it caught my eye, though I'm more than tired of seeing those Fast'n'Furious clear tail lamp housings...

Anyway, now to hit the lotto, so I can surprise my wife for her B-day in October. ;-)

Navigation systems, while a neat idea, just lack about another 4-7 years of work. I've been using a Garmin GPSIII+ for navigation, via motorcycle, for about 3-4 years now, and I'm about to start using it hooked up to a laptop which is running Street & Trips. I think the main thing is, people assume/think they can turn their brain off when using one of these nav systems, which just isn't so. Hopefully, it never will be, as then, we'll have auto-driving cars, and I *really* don't want those becoming common. I *like* to drive.

Anyway, if you want a nav system which is at least upgradeable, get a GPS and a laptop. The combo will be cheaper than the built-in nav system, and you'll have a mobile computer to boot.

However, I will admit to wanting the back up camera, yet don't want the nav system, which isn't available... Maybe some RX300's will be available, closeout....pfft, right.... <eye roll>
    RX330 AWD.

Last week I had the opportunity to talk with a Lexus factory represenative who was at the Malibu RX330 ride and drive event. According to the factory rep the AWD RX330, like the AWD RX300, will remain predominantly a FWD vehicle using the differing F/R final drive ratios to deliver the primary motive force to the front wheels. On a 4WD dynamometer the AWD RX300 tested out at about 90% engine torque to the front absent any wheel slip conditions.

When I then tried to ask what this might mean for firmware implementation of a "virtual" front LSD the factory rep realized he needed to be someplace else, SUDDENLY.

So here's is my guess as to the correct answer to the question.

With 90% of the engine torque NORMALLY (good traction conditions) delivered to the front wheels it would clearly be the front wheels or wheel, MOSTLY, to first lose traction and incur wheelspin.

If both front wheels happen to lose traction simulateously, no problem, just simply add braking to both front wheels and/or dethrottle the engine to limit the overall torque.

Actually it is highly likely, IMMHO, that the VSC firmware will be designed to first dethrottle the engine and then add brake modulation only if the wheelspin persists. But in many cases these events might come about so close together as to be seemingly simultaneous.

But what about the circumstance wherein only one from wheel loses traction and therefore one really needs a "virtual" front LSD (Limited Slip Differential).

You will not find many SUVs, truly designed for off-road work, that include any type of front LSD arrangement because of the hazards involved in doing so.

And LSD in the rear is oftentimes bad enough at interferring with the directional control of the vehicle. An LSD in the front could oftentimes prove to be dissestroyous. Have you even experienced really serious torque steer in a FWD vehicle? If not take an RX300 out for a drive and make a hard right turn at WOT.

On an RX300 the left axle is the shortest, think about how much more serious things might get in that hard right turn at WOT with the torque steer forcing you even further right and now the right front wheel slips and the VSC applies right front braking to simulate LSD action.

So I would suspect that the VSC "AWD" firmware will NOT have a front LSD function and therefore only engine dethrottling to compensate for front wheelspin.

And yes, it could, and likely will, have firmware to support rear LSD functionality. But with 90% of the torque NORMALLY delivered to the front how often would you need a rear LSD?

That's why I understand that the ML series has something other than a simple open center diff'l, the ML NORMALLY routes at least 50% of the torque to the rear.

None of the above means the AWD RX330 does not offer good value for the money, while it will never be as capable an SUV as the ML series (excluding any issues of low range entirely) it does have some limited AWD capability and at least you can now use snowchains safely, unlike the RX300.
    Pretty strong statement, but alas it's your opinion. I'll let the 300 owners chime in if they want, but as a 330 owner I wouldn't go as far as the Master Card commercial and call it "priceless" but I rate it as pretty darn valuable. I've watch NAV technology improve over the years to the point that it is now not just a "toy" but actually lessens driving anxiety particularly if you find yourself traveling in an area that's unfamiliar. I've used them and they work, particularly when traveling in and through large cities.

Lexus is offering 25% of their builds as NAVs. They probably would not be building that many if they didn't believe the demand wasn't there. However, after reading previous postings, I personally believe that demand will outstrip the current build plan. Folks no longer see NAVs as niceties but necessities, the same that has occurred with other technologies.

Bottom line, the market place will determine the worth of a product. Sure NAVs are not for everyone, but increasingly more and more folks see them as essential elements for driving.
    Well, it caught my eye, though I'm more than tired of seeing those Fast'n'Furious clear tail lamp housings...

Anyway, now to hit the lotto, so I can surprise my wife for her B-day in October. ;-)

Navigation systems, while a neat idea, just lack about another 4-7 years of work. I've been using a Garmin GPSIII+ for navigation, via motorcycle, for about 3-4 years now, and I'm about to start using it hooked up to a laptop which is running Street & Trips. I think the main thing is, people assume/think they can turn their brain off when using one of these nav systems, which just isn't so. Hopefully, it never will be, as then, we'll have auto-driving cars, and I *really* don't want those becoming common. I *like* to drive.

Anyway, if you want a nav system which is at least upgradeable, get a GPS and a laptop. The combo will be cheaper than the built-in nav system, and you'll have a mobile computer to boot.

However, I will admit to wanting the back up camera, yet don't want the nav system, which isn't available... Maybe some RX300's will be available, closeout....pfft, right.... <eye roll>

...of hearing how the RX330 AWD system isn't any good. Well, here's some advice:

Don't buy it.

While you're at it, don't buy the Nav system either since it doesn't work for you. While it does for 99.99% of other RX owners.

And you've tried to establish that that the Denso HVAC system is deadly dangerous.

I highly recommend you don't buy it either.

And you obviously know that Denso builds a lot more electronic modules in the RX beyond the HVAC system.

Don't buy them either.

In fact, it's absolutely amazing to me as a fairly logical-thinking person that you're ready, hey, ANXIOUS, to shell out $45k for a ANOTHER RX330 with defective (in your mind) AWD, HVAC, and other electronic modules.

Not to mention your constant and repeated harping about the lousy map light, the poision gases emitted inside because of low-volume fresh air intake, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

All in all, this is a Killer Car for you.

And you're still gonna lay 45 large on the table.

Interesting thought process, doncha think?
    "Don't buy it."

Well nobody comes here necessarily looking for advice. A lot of people, like myself, come here looking for discussion, info. from experiences others have had, etc.

Sometimes, the discussion goes in a direction where some aspects of the cars being discussed is not always going to be seen in a favorable light.

Most people come here for ALL information, not just the positive views of a car. If that's what someone wants, they might as well just see the commercials or pick up the manufacturer's brochure and then write the check.
    On the AWD system, I wonder if the hybrid version will be more balanced. I recall reading that the hybrid will have electric motors at each wheel, delivering torque which will give it better acceleration than the normal version.

Toyota/Lexus was boasting that the hybrid version will deliver better gas mileage while giving it V-8 performance.

Of course, if they deliver on all this, the hybrid premium will probably put it closer to 55k than 45k. The hybrid models, assuming they're all AWD, will probably come only with certain packages.
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    Any new 330 owners out there know how many RPM's the engine does at 70 MPH???

Thanks
  • laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    The nav system on the RX330 is very similar to the one on the ES 300, but with some minor improvements in how it's set up. This is our 3rd vehicle with the nav. Needless to say, we wouldn't buy a vehicle without one now. But, a word of caution, the "Early Production 2004 RX 330" model is based on NavTech's 2001 version and the 2002 version of the "Points of Interest". I think an upgraded DVD is supposed to be available "soon" but don't know if the early model 330's will get a free update. Hope so. later, ldf
    The local Lexus dealer had one one the lot, and I managed to avoid looking in it, but I did have to take a 'brouchure' with me. Amazing detail, and I'm glad to know what some of the colors actually are, as their names were of -0- help. "Breakwater" helps me not at all, other than it *might* be related to blue...maybe.

I am a bit miffed to find I can't get the huge moonroof with the 18" wheel package, but so it goes.

Now, to keep my wife's eyes from it....
    I suspect that what Toyota/Lexus really means is that the coming RX330/e will give V8 performance with better fuel economy than an actual V8.

I bought an 03 Prius late last year and now have the complete shop manual set.

But.

The very bottom line is that the only gain from a MPG standpoint is from the energy recovery due to regenerative braking. When accelerating you get the extra "boost" of the electric motor, but the battery power for that motor comes from two "sources".

Source #1, the primary, comes from the gasoline engine when you're cruising along not using the full capability of the recip and the battery needs to be charged then that charging is done parasitically off the recip.

Source #2, likely a very minor one out on the highway "cruising", applying "braking" via regenerative charging of the batteries. This source is clearly more productive in city driving thus the unusual highway/city MPG ratings, city being better than highway.

The only way I can see for the use of regenerative braking/charging is if the brake pedal pressure is "reasonably" light, and of course even if the pedal pressure is heavy the battery can be charged until I have come to a complete stop.

I can foresee a time in the future wherein I will need to keep my foot lightly on the accelerator pedal unless I want regenerative braking to take effect.

But the important thing to remember is that using the recip to charge the batteries results in an overall loss in MPG. The only real gain for this mode (not to say that is an altogether small one in the long term) is being able to use a lighter/smaller/more economical recip.

So I suspect that what you will see in the RX330/e is about the same gas mileage as the RX330, or maybe a tad less with the additional battery and motor weight, but performance equal to the Porsche Cayenne (No, not the Turbo).

I would also like to think it would be a much more capable AWD system, recip FWD, electric rear, but maybe that's too much to hope for at this time.
    ...afterall, this board is not entitled "Happy Happy RX300/330 Owners Club."

But when one poster repeats over and over again what the cons are, that apparently only affect him for some reason, it gets to be kind of preposterous.

No, strike that - kind of humorous.

Especially when the same poster buys the SAME VEHICLE THREE (3) TIMES. That I find to be not humorous - but hilarious.

And complains endlessly about an HVAC system, designed by the same Toyota & Lexus supplier, that he has now purchased FIVE TIMES.

Not to belabor the point...of course.
    "I suspect that what Toyota/Lexus really means is that the coming RX330/e will give V8 performance with better fuel economy than an actual V8."

No better fuel economy than the regular RX330 or for that matter, most SUVs. IIRC, they estimated 35 MPG city. That is roughly double the mileage that the AWD gets in the city (http://www.lexus.com/showroom/model/rx_specifications.html).

Don't know what the Prius gets but the Civic hybrid is suppose to get 53 MPG in the city.

They also said or implied that the torque from the electric motors in each wheel would improve acceleration. Perhaps that is why they boasted of V8 performance from presumably the same 230 HP V-6 which is in the regular models.

But with the premium they'll probably charge on the MSRP plus whatever extra the dealers will charge in places like California, this hybrid RX330 may price itself out of its class.
  • rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    When you went in for your 1k service, did the service person mention anything about needing to have your oil changed prior to your 5k (or 7500k) service/oil change?

To clarify for this board, the reason I'm asking is because I've heard conflicting info. as to needing to get the break-in oil (if there is any in the rx330 engine upon delivery) out at 1k miles, as is the case with many toyotas. Is there, or is there not, a break-in oil in the rx330 upon delivery that needs to be changed at or around 1k miles?

thanks.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Drove by Lexus of San Antonio and saw about 7-10 (at least) RX330s on the new car lot. Most were gold or white and I believe I saw one in black. Happy hunting!
    The Prius electric motor generates 400 ft/lbs of torque below 1000 RPM, damn GOOD startup acceleration. The honda only has an 8HP electric motor, something closer to what can be gained, recovered, with regenerative braking, therefore a significantly better MPG rating.

Unless T/L can remove a really significant level of weight and/or drag for an RX/e version I cannot buy into 35 MPG. Assuming it also retains a roadbed traction coefficient appropriate to an AWD SUV.

Even if I "nursed" my RX on the highway, I don't think I could get better than 24 MPG.

An RX with 35 MPG.......CITY(?)...

Leap of faith, that is.

And I'm going to surprised, or stunned actually, if the front wheels aren't driven directly from the recip.