Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I spend about an hour applying Mequiar's Cleaner-Wax. Looks great and lasts six months.

Leather? Do the seats have a coating that any preservative isn't going to penetrate? That's what I thought with my 2000 RX.

Comments?
    One of the strong points of my 2000 RX was the braking. I'm wondering about my 2004 RX330. It seems to take a lot more pedal pressure to slow the car quickly, as I had to do when I almost missed a turn off at 70 mph.

Comments from people who have had both cars?
  • lil4xlil4x Member Posts: 15
    The 330's brake assist, anti-locks, and vsc got a good test one evening last fall. Driving on the West Loop in good weather and moderate traffic, most of the pack was running about 70-72, when a woman in an aging Mazda 323 enters the freeway doing about 30, and cuts directly across three lanes, headed for my right passenger door. With an 18-wheeler to my left and nowhere to go, I throw out the anchor.

I nail the brake pedal hard and instantly the nose dives for the pavement. The brake pedal begins a soft rattle as the Michelins bite hard and the anti-locks seek to distribute braking forces among the wheels. The brake assist has dialed up a max effort braking response and only a slight leftward feint by the tail as I crowd the left lane indicates the vsc has joined the “all hands” evolution. My eyes dart to the mirrors as traffic behind me is also braking hard but still closing rapidly. I ease the brakes slightly to give them room as the little lady swoops in front of me with only inches to spare.

She motors on ten miles below minimum freeway speed unconcerned, blissfully unaware that she owes her life to technology. Thank you, Mr. Toyoda.

While my 300's brakes were excellent, the 330's "brake assist" and other electronics bring a new capability to full-on emergency stops. It gives me a whole new respect for the state of the braking art.
  • niraj724niraj724 Member Posts: 17
    Which polish/wax do you use and what about the dashboard and the wood? (I have a Rx 330)
    thanks
  • niraj724niraj724 Member Posts: 17
    Hello
    what do you use for the dashboard and the wood? what all did you buy from the zainostore?
    thanks
  • johnnieliujohnnieliu Member Posts: 34
    I just use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the wood.

Lexol makes a good,IMHO, vinyl(Vinylex) cleaner/protector. The Lexol stuff conditions both the leather and vinyl without leaving a shinny residue.

I bought the $84.70 kit from the zainostore.
    For the dash etc, Mequiers makes a nice cleaner. Something I've used for a long time is simple ole Pledge spray wax. Great for most things, but not the seats. One of those California dusters works great for the dash also.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    absolutely loves her RX330. She is not one to fall in love with an automobile, but she is giddy about her Lexus wagon aka RX330. It's not too big and not too small. It's not a truck and not a car. It's everything her old ES was except a bit taller with a rear hatch for moving plants from Home Depot to home. Lexus is very good at figuring our exactly what people want at exactly the right time.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    So I FINALLY had my 1k service yesterday (Actually after 2 months I only have 958 but I had made the appt. already). The dealership I bought mine from moved into their new facility the weekend after I picked my car up. It is very cool.

Anyway, I had printed out the c-best settings that I wanted changed the service writer started to tell me that it was going to be a $40.00 charge! He backed down after I told him my salesperson assured me that I could have them changed on my 1k visit.

You would think the Lexus would frown upon that. They make the settings so that only the dealer can change them, why would they charge?
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Is the same as I would write. My wife loves her RX330. I would add that I also like to drive it. It has better air conditioning than my E320 and an automatic headlight feature. Best of all, I runs great on regular gas.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Has anyone purchased invisible mats for their RX? I have the Ivory interior, however, I am in need of something weather friendly while maintaining the integrity of the interior color and style. I was thinking of purchasing invisible mats that are supposed to fit over your existing mats and are supposedly cut to your vehicles specs. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    Salesman called me about my concerns about waiting for the '05s in case they tweak the tranny (that some have been complaining about). He told me Lexus admits the RX330 hesitates b/t gears, but generally only happens in mountain driving and whatnot. Not that I buy all of that.

He had previously said that they'd deal as well on an '05 as much as an '04, but today said the '05s will be "close to sticker". Again, not buying it.

What do people on here think I should do ... if I buy an '04 right now ... in 2 months the '05s come out and basically the car is depreciated (in a sense ... I know not REALLY) immediately yet still new obviously. Also maybe there's a little tweak here and there for the '05s ... I know it'd be NOTHING major.

I'm in b/t right now, but think I have decided on the RX330 for sure ... the other similar autos just don't compare imho (ESPECIALLY when it comes to outer appearance). Hoping I can get them down to $37,500 or so on a list price of $41,938. Opinions? Suggestions?

What I've settled on:

Millenium Silver AWD
    Heated Seats/Rain Sensing/Handlamp Washers
    Premium Plus
    18"ers
    Cargo mat/Wheel Lock
    Towing Pkg
  • jman14188jman14188 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased the all weather mats from the dealer. They were only $70 and fit perfectly. They also have the Lexus symbol on them and the holes to clip them down to the floor but you have to take out the original mats. They look nice though.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    2005 RX gets 4th Gen Nav w/bluetooth, HID and AFS packaged together (but now separate from sport pkg). As far as color changes they dropped Black Forrest/Gray and Blue Mica/Black. 1st 2005 arrivals are in port on 9/2, at dealers about 1 week later.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Think about this....

You're the head programmer at Lexus designing and writing the specs. for the VSC system.

If the driver were steering hard and went suddenly to WOT on the e-throttle would you allow the vehicle to go immediately to WOT and downshift for more wheel/roadbed torque simultaneously?

Very strong potential for loss of control, especially for a FWD vehicle, so why not prevent it?

I have no idea what's actually happening with all these symtoms but I am very certain that my 01 AWD RX upshifts when coasting and when coming to a stop. The coasting upshifts might be for fuel economy but the "stopping" upshift must be to prevent front wheel engine braking in case the roadbed is slippery.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    If I were you, I'll choose a "sport package" option. I own RX330 AWD with sport package and updated the transmission software making it more responsive. By tapping into sport shift mode, I can drive the car aggressively.

IMO, RX 330 with sport package is best choice for us since my wife drives the car leisurely.
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    I have an 04 330...I had my local mechanic do the oil lube and filter...How do I reset the maintenance idiot light..Thanx for any help..
    I had my oil lube and filter done by my own mechanic. Does anyone know how I reset the maintenance light..?..Thanx for any help..
  • lil4xlil4x Member Posts: 15
    Found it in the manual and now have lost it... It goes something like this: With the ignition on, (engine off) push odometer button until total mileage is displayed. Turn ignition off. Turn on and off three times. Hold odometer reset button down and turn on ignition. Wait about 10 seconds as bars displayed on odometer disappear, one after another, and the odometer display returns. Release reset button. Turn ignition off. When you turn on the ignition again, the "Maint. Req'd" display should illuminate with other displays to check lamp, then extinguish.
  • dgraysondgrayson Member Posts: 27
    Any idea if the 2005 is going to have an optional satelite radio (XM or sirrus). You are seeing this in all the other manufacturers and other Toyota and Lexus models. Satelite radio is definitely a luxury item that should be readily available in a "Luxury Utility Vehicle"!
    I shall try it...
  • fsc1555fsc1555 Member Posts: 42
    hello

also check gardencar posting # 2635 -
    I posted everything that was on the model changes list for the RX from the dealer. The list covered every model, not just the RX. I was hoping for Sat radio also, but not in the cards. I was going to get an '04 but decided to wait. The 4th gen NAV w/bluetooth is a big plus for me. I'm in NJ and our hands-free law goes into effect on 1 July. Now I just need Verizon to come out with a bluetooth phone
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Any idea if the 2005 is going to have an optional satelite radio (XM or sirrus). You are seeing this in all the other manufacturers and other Toyota and Lexus models. Satelite radio is definitely a luxury item that should be readily available in a "Luxury Utility Vehicle"

Actually, I'd rather see HD Radio. HD Radio equipment is just now coming into some aftermarket brands so it's pricey but should go down.

Better iPod integration would be nice. Actually, there's no iPod integration for Lexus so it should be iPod integration. Maybe they do something nicer than what BMW just announced.
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    The procedure to reset the maintenance light is in the owners manual.
    If you don't have one, let me know and I'll look it up.
    Get an iTrip..It broadcasts on an unused FM frequency and is much cleaner than the cassette gizmos.
    Starting to wonder if I even want them now ... seems like a lot of people have been complaining that they don't seem to illuminate very far down the road.

My mother has them on her Lincoln Aviator and they seem fine on hers ... I would prefer them I think, but it seems some have been displeased with them. Maybe just the alignment of them on some cars?

Opinions?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Give a wider light spectrum for those of us old enough that loss of color night vision has begun. Light is definitely brighter and more white which is why they have such a sharp cuoff line so as to not blind and/or annoy oncoming drivers.

The lower they are mounted to the road the worse the cutoff will be, therefore the Lincoln will be better than say, a 911/996.

Personally I am super pleased with the HIDs on my 01 RX and my 01 C4.
  • amomamom Member Posts: 1
    We are seriously considering a 2004 RX330, however are concerned about the body lean of this SUV when on curvy roads. We have never owned an SUV before and were wondering if anyone could comment on whether this car leans more than other SUVs and how you handle it.
    The lean is deinately more pronounced on the passenger side. Thanks.
    I have no clue, but have test driven the RX and have owned many SUVs ... the body lean is FAR less than most SUVs.
  • sgf4sgf4 Member Posts: 16
    Not sure if this is the proper place to post this request but can anyone tell me the best place to purchase an extended warranty for my Lexus? Are there other places to purchase a warranty other than the dealers?
    My experience with HID's is this:

When on a highway (unlit) going above 50 MPH with oncoming cars and no cars in front of me, (going in my direction), you have to use your low beams. This scares the hell out of me because you outrun your lights. If something jumped up in front of you and your doing 35mph or more, because of the sharp cut off of the HID's, you could not stop in time because you would not see the object in time to stop.

Other than that, I think they are great. But, because of the above, I would not get them if I had a choice.

My own opinion of course.
    How on earth could you "outrun your headlights"? The headlights are attached to the car so, regardless of the short distance, it is static while the car is moving forward and always that distance.

I've heard a lot about this but I've never experienced a time when I felt the headlights were dangerous.
    using the fog lamps as well to add some light? I don't believe they are HID. Curious to see what you think. I've never noticed the effect, but can believe it would make one nervous.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might be interested in this discussion: Extended Warranties

tidester, host
    How do you outrun your headlights?? Very simple.

If you are driving at say 50mph and you do not see something until it is 100 feet in front of you, your chance of hitting the brakes and stopping in that short of a distance are nil. You just outran your headlights.

HIS's have such a sharp defined cutoff that you can't see anything past the cutoff. No light bleeds beyond that cutoff.

When you are on a dark road with cars coming at you and you have your low beams on, you will out run your lights. This is hard to believe until you have experienced the HID cutoff.
    I leave my fog lights on all the time. They don't seem to have any effect straight ahead but they do light up the area close in and to the side - which I like.
  • sgf4sgf4 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks I'll check out the thread. Basically, I was wondering if you can buy the Lexus coverage at any dealer or state like you can the Hondacare and have it be valid throughout U.S. The prices they are asking in our area are really high.
    I don't drive much at night, but the HID lights seem a dumb idea. While following a car in a hilly region, you're either blinding them in their rear view mirror or missing them completely. I don't care for them at all.

But how about them headlight washers!
  • cheesestatecheesestate Member Posts: 8
    Outrunning your headlights??? You're kidding, right? How can a car traveling at 50mph outrun its light projected onto the road when the speed of light travels at 299,792,458 m/s?

The intensity of the light from the headlight is constant...traveling at a constant speed (299,792,458 m/s) in front of the car with a define cutoff at...let's say 100 feet. Regardless of how fast or slow you drive, the cutoff distance from your car will still be the same. When you're driving fast at night, your eye is playing tricks on you...tunnel vision...and having a sharp cutoff makes it worst because you cannot see anything beyond that cutoff line. Thus, people mistaken this for outrunning your headlights. This is one of the downfall of HIDs. But you can remedy this by aiming it a bit higher. I love my HIDs...brighter, whiter, wider...and way better than halogen.
    How can a car traveling at 50mph outrun its light projected onto the road when the speed of light travels at 299,792,458 m/s?

It's the Doppler shift that does you in - makes the light invisible! ;-)

tidester, host
  • bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
    Also remember that according to Maxwell's equations and Einstein's Theory of Relativity, even if you are driving 299,792,457 meters/second, the beam of light leaving your HID headlight is still traveling away from your vehicle, as observed by you and relative to your vehicle, at 299,792,458 m/s. You can never catch it much less outrun it. Also, the Doppler shift can be seen by an ouside observer, but not by the one traveling in the vehicle emitting the light.
    even if you are driving 299,792,457 meters/second, the beam of light leaving your HID headlight is still traveling away from your vehicle, as observed by you and relative to your vehicle, at 299,792,458 m/s.

Obviously, but everything in front of you is SO much closer - thanks to the Lorentz contraction - that you override your reaction time. But you knew that! :-)

Also, the Doppler shift can be seen by an ouside observer, but not by the one traveling in the vehicle emitting the light.

In order to see with the headlights the light must reflect off of something and will therefore be subject to extreme Doppler shifting - and you knew that too!

It must be a slow day when the host is so easily led off topic! ;-)

tidester, host
    If you can restate your point in terms of string theory I'll really be impressed! :)
  • bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
    String theory? When I was in auto class they were just teaching carburated engines and distributors with points and vacuum advance.
    If you can restate your point in terms of string theory I'll really be impressed! :)

Er ... yeah ... if your air filter is stringy you won't even get close to light speed! ;-)

tidester, host
    Not usually a fan of too much chrome, but saw a black RX330 with chromed stock 18s and it looked REAL sharp!

Anyone know if the dealer can hook this up or is it just something you do aftermarket and whatnot? What does chroming really entail? Sorry for my ignorance ...
  • indiana97indiana97 Member Posts: 58
    Look on Ebay under "Lexus RX330 Chrome wheels. There are some good prices. Make sure you look for seller that has OEM Chromed wheels not aftermarket wheels that have been chromed. You can also do a wheel exchange. Getting OEM wheels that are chromed and trading in your OEM wheels (non Chromed). This may be a better way to go unless you can make a deal by getting Chrome 18" when you get your RX330 new from the dealer with a credit for your stock 18" wheels.
    Is OEM just the company that makes the rims? So they're the exact same rims put on the RX330 in the factory ... just chromed at the company that is selling them instead?

Do some Lexus dealers just do the chroming on their own ... or will they take them out and have them chromed and then put on?

I also noticed that it said that the chrome wouldn't hold up to snowy conditions due to salt.

QUOTE from FAQ:

4. Since my wheels are triple chrome plated, can I drive on my wheels in the snow?

The snow and salted roads will destroy the chrome finish causing pitting in the slots. This is not covered by the on year warranty.

END QUOTE.

Thanks again!
    OEM means - Original Equipment Manufacturer meaning that they are Lexus wheels.