Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Mfullmer, thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll request a GS300 as a loaner next time.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Yeah, they're sweet. The only think I didn't like about it was the older design door handles. I sure hope the new GS keeps the tradition alive and doesn't have the quality issues of the RX.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    After a week of driving the RX, my impressions are not that different from what I expected. The FX had better power and handling, but the RX is a smoother ride in the daily commute and on the highway. While the FX was fun to zip in and out of traffic with, I find I'm not as much in a hurry with the RX, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a lot more practical for all the time I spend in the car (about 20k a year or more), and I look forward to sitting behind the wheel of the RX more than I ever did the FX, the interior is just a lot more to my liking, although that's a pretty subjective matter of taste.

I wouldn't worry about the FX for reliability, I had problems with the engine that they could never figure out, but I'm pretty sure I was a statistical anamoly because Nissan's 3.5 VQ engine is pretty legendary for quality. I had just gotten off to a bad start with it from the beginning because the seat was uncomfortable to me and when the engine went, I really didn't hesitate to move on. Make sure you take a long test drive in the FX and pay attention to whether the seat control box that's cut into the right side bolster of the driver's seat doesn't impinge on your right hip. This design bothers a small but definite minority of FX owners, and I had to get an aftermarket modification of the seat to make it even livable for me. I'd be more concerned about that than the engine.

BTW, what are the "quality issues" of the RX?
  • m007m007 Member Posts: 3
    What did you pay for a used 2004 RX330 with 26K? I am looking at a used 2004 RX330 with 17K, but don't know how to place a value on it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    since nobody has responded, go over to smart shopper and look for the real world trade in values thread. they have a 'form' you can fill out with the appropriate info. please make sure you have it all, and 'terry' will be happy to accomodate you.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    There is also a forum regarding buying a Lexus RX330. You'll have to look it up, but I found it helpful when we were buying our RX330
    Here in Nor Cal, I saw an ad on the paper for a FWD, RX330 for $34,500 and some change. It was a previous loaner from Serramonte Lexus. I would suppose the mileage would be around the neighborhood of what you are looking for. Try cars.com.
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    We were at a Lexus dealer yesterday, ready to pull the trigger on a new RX. The salesmen said that for the 2006 model year the 330 production will be drastically reduced and then probably go away for 2007, then Lexus will solely sell the 400h. Does this sound correct? Has anyone heard this? My wife is now freaked on resale value, and is ready to go buy a Touareg.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    This sound unbelievable to me. The RX330 is their best seller. The RX has better resale than the Touareg.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Doesn't make sense. Why would salesman give negative info to discourage a sale? Why would Lexus discontinue one of its best selling models? Why does your wife "freak" and consider a less desirable vehicle with a worse depreciation rate?

My take:
    1. Salesman was yanking your chain.
    2. You misunderstood what he said.
    3. You were not really ready to pull the trigger.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Counter-intuitive thinking: If the RX330 did become more scarce and even go away, why would your wife think its resale value would go down? Usually things like that work the opposite.

Plus the whole post doesn't even make sense. Toyota is not known for dropping hugely successful vehicles.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    The salesperson is blowing smoke. He probably thought that statement would get you to buy a car now.
    Poppycock!
  • eyeskatermumeyeskatermum Member Posts: 7
    Don't blame the car for the bad experience of a bad dealer. I purchased my RX 330 today and had the easiest experience I have ever had.

My past included a Corolla, Celica, Supra and a Camry. I also have had a BMW 528i, M5 and most recently a (gag) VW Passat.

My husband and I went to the local "Elite" Lexus dealer on Friday and met with the sales professional (and she was) who was low key no pressure. We test drove and received an indication on what the price range would be for both a lease and a purchase. We were offered refreshments and our short stay of under an hour was well nice.

We went home and I went to the Lexus Build site where I priced the car at MSRP and then selected two other dealers to get a quote from. Loaded with that information I called the salesperson we met on Friday who promised to match the lowest deal we had. I also checked the forums here found that one offer was great. So I called back and she matched the offer, added some bonuses and gave me $1,000 over on my trade in. The deal was for $200 over invoice. They held the car overnight on credit card and when we arrived they had the car ready, all the paperwork ready and we were in and out in less than 2 hours including a tour of the dealership, more refreshments, a gift for my husband and I and a toy car for my daughter. I was the easiest day. Every purchase should go as well. I've never spent less that 4 hours buying a car ever.

I don't need to go to a clinic, the sales professional told me anytime I wanted to have help with the car call her or come in and they would personally show me how to work the options.

My point is not to judge the car by the dealership. Go to Lexus.com and find another dealer, one with an Elite rating. You will more than likely get better service when you tell them your story.

Good luck on that road trip!
    I had Narrowed down my choice to a FX35 and a RX 330. I went with the Lexus for the following reasons:

1) Back seat entry and exit - FX is very narrow and can be difficult for your guests to exit if they are elderly, tall, or not thin.
    2) Rear Window has blind spots. This can be handled by really using your side mirrors or spending a whole lot for the tech package to get a rear camera.
    3)Uses Premium Unleaded - not fun with the gas prices climbing. Also mileage is not great unless you get the low model of the FX 35, and even then it's low. Filling up a tank for $65 is not appealing to me to get in the low 600 mile/tank range. I drive a lot, and this would have driven me crazy.
    4)Cargo space - I have two Aussies and I need them to stay in the back when we take them to exercise.

The RX 330 was superior in all these items. Yes, the FX is more fun to drive, but I drive so much that comfort is an issue. Add the extremely quiet ride of the RX and it was a no brainer for me to decide which car to buy.

After 2 years of being sold, I see far less of the FX on the road than the RX. I also know that the 2004's are almost gone at Lexus, but there is a good supply at Infiniti for the FX. Maybe that one issue alone speaks for my decision.

The last factor was the depreciation of the auto. If you check it out you will see the FX depreciates a lot over time and the RX holds it's value.

Better money for gas and better resale/trade in. My choice was for the RX because it made more sence to purchase that car than the FX (in my opinion).

Good Luck on your decision!
  • babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    at no point in my beware of nav class post did i say the rx was not a good car. besides the paint chip issue, i'm rather fond of snow. my dealership was an "elite of lexus". my sales professional also told me the same thing yours told you. however, the one time i tried this with a question on under what conditions the air-ride would stay in the high mode took almost 1 week to find out and i had to keep hounding them. the only point i was trying to make was that new owners should be sure what they're getting into if offered classes. i did not need to attend the class either. i was just hoping to be shown some of the finer points of the navigation. instead i was misled into wasting 2hrs+ of my time.
    We also had good results by dealing over the phone with two dealers. First I called the closest dealer and got some BS- inflated the price, wanted a deposit and would search for the car. The second dealer beat the price, was straight about the cost and delivered to RX330 to our home ready to go.
  • lyttonlytton Member Posts: 14
    I am about to purchase a 2004 RX330 up here in Toronto,Canada..I'd love to buy the últrapremium package',but it's a huge expense over the base ($13,000 Canadian Dollars), or about $7K over the Premium package..the difference of Ultra over Premium here is the addition of the Nav. system, the rear camera,the rear seat DVD,and upgraded Levinson Stereo...I think the Premium is the best value for the money package( indash 6 CD,power trunk release, added wood steering wheel and shifter, HID headlights etc.),,,

Doesanyone feel it's worth the extra $ for the ultra premium?
    I do have kids,and for our van, I bought them the portable 7 inch DVD player from Costco for $250,and I bought 2 of them, so they can watch what they want...( I have 4 kids)..as for Navigation, I guess I can get a GPS Garmin or Magellan for under $1000...which I then can use between our 2 cars...
    I passed on the navigation - My mom has it in her 430 and it drives my husband crazy. When you turn the car on it talks to you. We thought the premium+ CD system was awesome, and after blasting Genesis all day today, I still think so. We too have the portable DVD player, so the extra money was just not worth it. Mapquest works great, and GPS just like you mentioned. One advantage is Lexus Link - they can talk to you in emergencies and even open your car if you lock yourself out, but is that worth all the extra money????? We didn't think so.

You will love the car - so much nicer that a mini-van! good luck!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Honestly If it is even close between an FX and RX in your mind go for the RX, The FX is geared to a certain "type" of person. That person is almost the direct opposite of the RX330 person. I drove an RX330 for all of 5 minutes and there was no way I would buy one. The RX is a fine vehicle and on paper and on prices the FX and RX look like they should compete. But honestly they don't The RX like every lexus save the GS and IS are for the more mature, well mannered crowd. The FX is for those of us that don't listen to classical music and take the long way home from work simply because we love to drive.

This is an open letter to anyone comparing the two. If you are even slightly torn pick the lexus. The FX is too small, too fast and too damn cool for most people to get.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If it weren't for the poor exterior styling, IMMHO, of the FX I would already own one. But I guess it's the X3 for me.
    You'll probably get answers both yes and no as to whether it's worth it. You have all the info. Why can't you decide for yourself? For what it's worth, I don't think it's worth it.
    Geeze, better go remove my Pink Floyd, Genesis, U2, Santana, Queen and ELP discs from the changer. Gotta put in those Classical ones ya mentioned us old fuddy duddy RX owners listen too.

Sorry, don't have time to say more. Gotta go polish my walker......Don't forget to wash behind your ears CL. Hope you did all your homework and ate your vegies!
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    The NHTSA website has 5 times as many complaints per Lexus RX330 sold versus Accura MDX. Why? (As Dirty Harry said "Do you feel lucky today?")

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsear- ch.cfm
  • colvertcolvert Member Posts: 9
    poto1x,

Why are you on this board? Do you have anything constructive to post? I understand that you had a bad experience with Lexus/Toyota and that's unfortunate. You've posted your opinions and complaints but it seems like all of your posts are anti-Lexus/Toyota. Thank you for informing us of some of the problems you've had but now it just seems like you're just a whiner with a grudge. Buy a different brand of car and move on please! Oh and yes, I do feel lucky...I 'll take my chances with a Lexus/Toyota over 98% of the rest of the automobile field. I guess I've been pretty lucky since I've been a very satisfied Lexus/Toyota owner for the last 20 years.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Looking for 2005 RX330 AWD lease specials in New Jersey, my FIFO score is 700ish.

What are some lease specials for the following combinations? Thank you!

Color: Bamboo Pearl

Options: (1) Navigation with Mark L. audio, (2) Rear Seat Entertainment System, (3) Heated front seats with rain-sensing wipers.

Lease Terms: 4 years/40 to 48K miles.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I just have to smile at some of the comments I read on these boards, such as cl's comment that the RX330 and FX35 drivers are such "opposite" people! Gee, let me recall if there is any truth to that comment... Yeah, I recall that the FX35 simply terrified me; the Ford Expedition was too fast and furious; and the Mercury Grand Marquis was way too cool. Prudence must have dictated that I buy the RX330.

We've had our RX330 for 20K miles now, with no regrets. As you mentioned, it is quieter, more practical, provides more cargo space, and typically provides better fuel economy. (We now average about 22mpg on 70% freeway and 30% short urban driving with our 2wd model). On top of that, I have a little secret to divulge: After our engine was fully broken in (>10-15K miles), our RX330 started to scoot. It now exhibits no trouble getting out of its own way. I'm beginning to believe those acceleration numbers within the sales brochure. (0-60 in 7.7 sec)

By the way, you have excellent taste in music. I noticed our base RX sound system performs admirably with "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wish You Were Here". Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to load my Lawrence Welk or Englebert Humperdink CDs it it!
    If you want a better "apples to apples" comparison, then compare against other models during their first year of production. It is always the first year when a car has the largest number of "bugs" and complaints.

Don't use a 2004 MDX as a comparison. The MDX has not changed significantly since 2001. Sales for the 2004 MDX did not start until Fall 2003. In contrast, the RX was completely redesigned for 2004. Also, note that Lexus has been heavily selling the 2004 RX330 since early Spring 2003.

With that in mind, let's compare the 2001 MDX, which was the first year of production for the existing MDX, to the 2004 RX330.

Total complaints for 2001 MDX: 41
    Total complaints for 2004 RX330: 47

I think it is safe to guess that Lexus has probably sold 3x the volume of '04 RX330s versus the number of 2001 MDX's sold by Acura. Hence, the number of complaints for car sold is far lower for the 2004 RX330 than for the 2001 MDX.

One last note: Many of the 47 complaints on this web site were essentially repeats of other complaints already posted there.

I agree with colvert. Your posts are very anti-Lexus without providing much support nor any of your personal experiences. How do we know you are not a troll who works at a competing dealership?
    Hear, hear, colvert and cotmc. I hear you both. By the way, that was a very fact filled post, cotmc. Kudos.

Although poto1x seems to post nothing but negative and exaggerated facts about Lexus/Toyota, I read them with humor and indignance. I am also hoping he'll come out with something constructive.

Colvert, as I remember, poto1x's original beef, before it was mired in his barrage of other complaints, was with the transmission hesitation in the RX. From there, he branched out swiftly into Lexus/Toyota's denial of the engine sludge problem (for which they finally took responsibility), segueing to another beef of how Toyota made billions more than GMC, Ford, and Chrysler combined, and so on and so forth.
    Nice to see there are some RX owners with some Moxy lol. Just wish your car had some too lol.

Seriously the RX is not an exciting car to drive and that was my priority not space not comfort but the grin when I hit the gas.

If comfort and space was my main concern I may be in an RX but I have a pilot that has plenty of space (3rd row seat) and a lot of comfort so when I want those things I have a vehicle for that.

I just think the RX is too much of a compromise for a real driver to enjoy. But I do admit it is a great car if it is for you.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    if you don't like a post - scroll past it.

Knock off the personal attacks and get back to the discussion.
  • colvertcolvert Member Posts: 9
    Sorry Sylvia! I don't mean to be petty or negative or intend my post to be interpreted as a personal attack. I do appreciate the diversity of posts on this board, especially the negative or bad experiences because they may point to a problem I may have. It just becomes obvious and annoying when someone is on this board just to knock Lexus/Toyota.

Cotmc- great post. Your statistics make an outstanding point.

Gardencar- I, too, remember the original complaint and it is valid, as evidenced by the numerous previous posts discussing the issue. I think we all agree that the RX330 is not perfect and has some issues and that's a big purpose for this board. Again, I apologize, but I became annoyed at the obvious antagonism and felt like I had to speak up. I must have been having a bad day!
    gardencar: cl makes a good point. It's nice to have a "fun" driver to go along with our "practical" RX330. With that in mind, have you decided on your other vehicle?
  • frankw1frankw1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a RX330 FWD. Where I live, the terrain is pretty flat, no major up and down hills.

What is the best mode to drive? in D or 4 on the autotransmission?

My wife said she drive in 4. She thinks it give her faster pickup from traffic stop, and "4 drives more quietly than D."

What is the difference between driving in 4 and driving in D mode?

I personally think it makes no difference. No difference in pick up speed from traffic stop. No difference in gas milage consumption.

What do the experts say?
    In D is 5th gear.
    4 is 4th gear.

If you're driving in 4th gear constantly, you are using more gas because the engine is revving faster.

How can 4 be quieter than D on the open highway? Driving in D means 5th gear. Along with driving in 5th opposed to 4th means lower engine revolutions which typically lowers noise.

Acceleration from a standstill will not change at all, whether your car is in 4th or D(5th). The transmission still starts in 1st gear, goes to 2nd, etc.
  • frankw1frankw1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply.

Now if you could teach me something about transmission 101.

Can you drive from a complete stop, start with gear 1, as it picks up speed, shift to 2, then 3, 4, and finally D. Would this give you faster pick up time?

Now, can you down shift on the go to a complete stop, gradually down shift from D, to 4, then 3, 2, 1. Would this practice ruin the transmission?

I have never shifted gears while driving. So what is the best scenario for doing this?
    "Can you drive from a complete stop, start with gear 1, as it picks up speed, shift to 2, then 3, 4, and finally D. Would this give you faster pick up time? "

First, the computer can shift gears faster than a person can on a automatic equipped car. So I think you would actually get decreased acceleration. Second, if she want's to shift manually, shouldn't she have gotten a manual equipped car?

"Now, can you down shift on the go to a complete stop, gradually down shift from D, to 4, then 3, 2, 1. Would this practice ruin the transmission? "

I would recommend against doing this on a regular basis. It is a automatic transmission and you break it, it will cost at least $5K for a new one.
    It's much cheaper to replace brakes. Also, to some extent, modern automatics do provide some engine breaking, so what's the point of downshifting?

I would say the best scenerio is to leave the tranny in "D" and let the various computers do everything for you.
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    We just received a letter from our dealer Lexus of Northboro MASS, they are offering a buy back program where they would purchase your vehicle back for 100% "market value" for exchange on a new Lexus vehicle. Has anybody else received a similar letter. My one question is what is "100% market value"
    We have a 2004 RX 330 are there any major differences with a 2005 RX 330? Is the navigation system worth the extra money?

Thanks, Brian
    BY Market value, I'm sure that they probably mean wholesale trade-in value according to NADA guides, auction guides, etc.

I don't think they are going to give you any more than you normally would if they weren't running that so called "program".
    Don't know what your post said or if it was aimed at me.

I am not knocking the lexus. I have helped numerous friends shop both the RX300 and RX330 because they were looking for a reliable, comfortable luxurious SUV. However if a fun drive is your main concer it may not be the vehicle for you. I also think those that may like the style of the FX and the comfort of the RX may be duly suited with the RX instead of the FX.

Many FX owners have complained about harsh rides or seat comfort etc. These people may have loved the style and features of the FX but did not appreciate the vehicle for what it is. One car article called it a sports car with a back pack and that is what it intends to be and we owners who like it make no excuses for it.

The RX out sells every other luxury suv and the FX nearly 2 to 1. It is a great car but it wasn't for me and may not be for like minded indivuals.

However if Lexus made a slightly longer RX with a third row seat. I would consider trading my pilot for it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might arm yourself with information from TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds

tidester, host
    Hey, cotmc. I I've been looking at Miata's and even the Mazda RX8's. However, my wife's refusal to learn to drive a stick is kinda putting a damper on buying a bona fide sports car right now. We also went to look at some certified E430's and some 5 series Bimmers. For a short time after test driving a Cayenne S, finding out that it has a 7700# towing capacity, and that they are now 9% off MSRP, we thought about trading in our beloved RX330 for a titanium or brilliant silver Cayenne! However, a few days after leaving the Porsche dealership, sanity returned as the memory of the test drive ebbed away. Right now we're looking at GS400's...

You are right about cl's point. It's good to have a fun car to drive. However, seeing as he already has a Pilot, it's puzzling that he would get an FX. Although it handles better than the RX, it is no sports car. I didn't reply to his rather challenging post before, but seeing that he is rather tenacious (no insult intended, Sally), I will put my two cents in.

Before buying the RX330, the FX was one of the crossovers I test drove. The styling was unusual but trendy, IMO. I felt the RX had a classic look that would not look dated even five years from now. Cargo space and utility were no contest. I instantly was unimpressed with the FX's interior. After the two mile test drive in the FX45, I felt the acceleration exhilarating, the handling on par with the X5, but below par with the X3. The ride was even stiffer than either of the BMW's and even though I did feel it would be fun to drive around town,I knew it was not a highway cruiser. It would be too punishing for the three plus hour drives, out of town, that my new car would serve duty for. In the end, tight handling and speed had to take a back seat (pun intended) to comfort and luxury. If it hadn't, I'd be in a Bimmer right now, or even a Cayenne.

By the way, I listen to the Herdsmen, the Wonders, Earth Wind and Fire, Shania Twain, John Meyers, Kenny G, ABBA, the Bee Gees, Outkast, Fifty Cent, and Ludicrous, among others. Depends on the day.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    this means nothing ... it's just their way of trying to get you in the trade up for a new car ... you're not getting any special deal ... they're just mentioning it to give you intrigue. Do you want an '05? Go for it ... if you're happy ... stick with your car. You won't get any special deal over just walking into the dealership off the street.
  • volaravolara Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have statistics regarding the proportion of men/women driving Rx? Is it my imagination that most drivers of Rx are females?
    Would appreciate opinions.
    I read them a while back for the 1st generation RX, the RX300. I believe it was close to 60% female, 40% male. The RX330, supposedly, has brought it closer to 50/50. OF course, the male/female proportion numbers aren't fully correct because of factors like husbands buying them for their wives, etc.

You may find it interesting, but the proportion of men/women BMW 3-series and Z3 owners/drivers leaned more towards women drivers also.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    But then how many women dictate the purchase of what their husbands drive them around in?

It was my wife that really chose teh RX300 that I drive her around in.
  • carrvettecarrvette Member Posts: 7
    Anyone have experience buying an aftermarket towing hitch as opposed to the one sold at the Lexus dealership?
    It was my wife that decided the less-expensive Nissan Murano would not suit her. Simultaneously, my bank account statements were telling me the RX330 would not suit me; that is, until you announced rumors of good discounts in southern california back in June '03.

Even though I'm the big mouth within this forum, the RX is really my wife's car.
    I purchased an aftermarket tow hitch from Curt Manufacturing. It looks great, and it was easy to install. Note that I am using this exclusively for a hitch-mounted bike rack. I did not provide for a wiring harness. My cost was $110 + $25 shipping. I provide further details within post #2864 and #2882.

If you perform a search within this forum for "tow hitch", you should find many posts regarding tow hitches, including after-market models. There was quite a bit of discussion about tow hitches within this discussion topic.
  • armanarman Member Posts: 2
    Curt aftermarket tow hitch for RX 330 is on Ebay for $92.00 and $23.00 for shipping. I think that is a good price. The seller is TopTenHitch and has a very good feedback.

http://stores.ebay.com/TopTenHitch_WOQQsspagenameZI2QQtZkm