Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's not stupid nor obvious; we have whole forums bogged down in the argument. For starters:

What Wheel Drive?

This discussion was one of the more recent active ones:

AWD vs FWD with VSC + Traction Control

And for more than you may have wanted to know, you could start at the first post in Toyota 4WD systems explained.

After you decide which is best for you, then we'll talk about tires, LOL.

Steve, Host
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    IMMHO also any car will perfrom quite well in "snow".

What you really should be concerned about is ice & well packed snow.

I try to run summer tires on my vehicles but also have snowchains at the ready if the need arises.

NOTHING beats a set of snowchains for getting around in typical wintertime conditions in the mountain pass areas of WA, OR, ID, MT.
  • gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    I'm setting here waiting for my RX330 to come in, we are at week 3 out of 6 to 7 week wait. To pass the time I'm going over the past post to learn everything about the car. It's the next best thing to actually having it in my possession. The one question that I'm unable to find relates to the Nav. system. In my Acura the navigation system will tell you the approx. elevation at your current position. Will the '05 Lexus RX330 navigation be able to do the same? Still week three, time moves slow.
  • joelfjoelf Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my 2005 Rx330 with Nav. Is there a version number for the most current map
    DVD. How does one know if they have the most recent maps?

JoelF
  • dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    Our 05' Lexus RX330 does not show elevation or altitude information. In some respects, the Acura is ahead of Lexus in navigation features like real time traffic information. We still find it extremely helpful. Here is a link to some FAQ on the navigation system from the company that actually makes the unit...ignore the Australia specific references

http://www.denso.com.au/dw/satnav/satnav_faq.htm
    Okay, here is my FINAL answer.

The absolutely correct one.

Modern day cars are shipped from the factory with only rudimentary "tutoring".

All of the engine fuel mixture and performance parameters are loaded into their respective ECU (ROM?) memory tables as preliminary approximations.

For instance, my 1993 Ford Ranger with an I4 has an idle air bypass solenoid that is used to provide a linear function. As time goes by the engine ECU "learns" how to correctly pulse width modulate the idle bypass solenoid so that the oxygen sensor in the exhaust path indicates no unburned oxygen.

If you disconnect and reconnect the battery to go back to the factory approximation settings the I4 does not pass the WA idle emissions test. Drive it around for two days and the engine ECU "learns", deterministically, what pulse width modulation values to apply to the idle bypass solenoid under the engine various operating parameters, engine temperature, inlet air temperature, and absolute pressure.

I would guess that many more modern cars operate in the same way, all the tables and parameters for approximately correct operation are loaded at the factory and those parameters are then continuously updated, for fuel economy, low emissions, and driveability, as you drive. Obviously the battery disconnect/reconnect procedure would cause the system to reload the factory default approximations and then the learning process would begin all over again.

So, no question, "reset" the car's ECU's via disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and the drive "feel" of the vehicle will suddenly be different, at least for a few days ormiles.

But what about learning individual driver's driving styles??

Within0 seconds of having started the car and put it into motion the engine and/or transmissions ECU(s) will have preliminarily "mapped" your personal driving style. After three minutes the ECU's will have come to a "final" conclusion on where to place you within the various driving style parameters. As many as 10 driving style "modes" seem to be indicated by one of the European marques.

Thereafter the ECU's keep a "running" three minute history and if you suddenly become more aggressive or passive it will then remap you into another "style".

So the dealer mechanics and technicians statements are correct, resetting the ECUs WILL change the vehicles driving charactoristics, "feel". But with a fairly short period the ECUs will have learned the best parameters for the vehicle's operation.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    We were wondering what kind of gas mileage others are getting in their RX330's? We have a FWD 2004 RX330 and it seems as though we are only getting about 20-21 mpg on our most recent trip of about 275(road trip)highway miles . Does that sound about right?
    Thanks
  • wkozwkoz Member Posts: 4
    Picked up my new 2005 Lexus RX 330 FWD on Monday. Today (Thursday) drove it from Tucson to Phoenix round trip about 185 miles. Much to my surprise I got 26.3 miles per gal. I averaged about 65 to 73 miles an hour. The trip was about 97% highway driving, not much city stop and go mileage. This was the reading on my Nav trip info screen. I did not verify this yet by filling up the gas tank and calculating the mpg. Still it is very encouraging especially with gas prices now over $2.00 per gallon.
    The NAV has a display that really helps you to optimize your gas usage while driving. It has a horizontal bar graph that moves as you depress the gas pedal or let up on the accelerator. By keeping the bar graph to the right you improve your gas mileage. I don't know how it works on the new cars but in the old days it was a vacuum gage display.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get in the future in city driving and after I get some more miles on the car. Only have about 388 miles on it now.
    The RX 330 was an absolute pleasure to drive on the highway, smooth and very quite. My previous car, that I traded in, was a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer In comparison it was hard riding and lots of road and engine noise.
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    Went South for the month of February. Drove 1000 miles down and 1000 miles back - all on interstates with the cruise set at 72 mph. Put on another 1100 miles while there - of which about 90 percent was highway driving at about 55 mph. My mileage figured via the pencil method was 22.1 while the dash display read between 23.4 and 24.8 at fill up time.

This is with a RX330 - 2004 AWD which now has 15000 miles on it. Every day city driving averages between 17 and 18 mpg.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    The A/

The A/C filter is located in the glove box. The manual says to take out the two screws at either end. They look like thumb screws to me, but I couldn't budge them.

Does anyone know how to take them out? Do they turn and then come out?

Jim
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    We own a 2004 RX330, and the only options we didn't get were the large sunroof and the Rear DVD Entertainment System. We love our car, much more refined than our '99 RX300. We are soon looking forward to an RX400h, although that's off topic. We won't get rid of the RX330 for a couple of years before getting the hybrid, though. I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show, and was very intruiged. My wife would feel guilty if she didn't get a hybrid, but she loves the luxuries of the Lexus, so it all works out. On the other end of the spectrum, I own a brand new S4 Cabriolet, completely flawless, but a gas-guzzler like all German cars, particularly a performance one.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Do any of you have experience with the AWD RX330's off road capability? I realize that it isn't a true 4X4, doesn't have a low range and locking differentials- but how well do all of the electronic controls make up for these deficiencies.

I don't need serious off-road capability- but I do haul my hang gliding equipment up some 4x4 roads. They're rocky and just a little bit steep sometimes. But nothing that serious, or requiring more than the 8" of ground clearance that the RX330 has- but certainly more than a 2WD vehicle could do. I suspect I'll need better tires.

Any thoughts and experiences with the 330?
    But in the circumstances you describe I wouldn't hesitate to take my AWD RX300, or even my daughter's MY2000 AWD Chrysler T&C. But I would pray for no rain while up that road.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • varx330varx330 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any after market running boards for the 330 other than the tube steps sold by Lexus?
  • barb0barb0 Member Posts: 2
    I've been driving various Lexus vehicles (LS, ES, RX) for over 12 years. In February 05, I traded my RX300 for an RX330. Like my previous vehicles I had chrome wheels installed. Since that installation, this car drives horrible. Concerned I was just being a nit-picky female, I had my husband drive the car for several days, he had the same impressions. At low speeds it drives sweet, like the Lexus I am accustom too. When you start to increase speeds this car shimmies and hits every bump in the road. The worst part is the drive shaft under the drivers seat. It bounces you around like a roller coaster. It is so rough that after driving for less than an hour your body feels as though it's come off a back-road experience. ....YES, I understand about Rims, High Performance Tires and Suspension, but this is a LEXUS and a $42,000 luxury suv should not drive this hard. I've test driven other vehicles less well known for their performance and have driven trucks that ride better than this Lexus. In less than 2 months I've had it in for service 3 times. In the last visit the Service Tech took a test drive in the vehicle with me and acknowledged exactly what I had been feeling. When it came time to pick up the car, Lexus service found nothing and gave me the usual lip service about the Tire, Rims and Suspension of the RX330. I'm confused, because when I read other reviews of this car, people praise it's performance at high speeds. I experience nothing but frustration and anxiety from the rough, painful ride. Does anyone have any comments or reassurance on this matter. I' m stuck in a 4 year lease. For the first time in 12 years I do not like my Lexus. I want is my old RX300 back.
    Barbara
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    What size? What kind of chrome wheels? What kind of tires? What were stock on your RX330 when you bought it(size)?
    would be that you have the 18" wheels on your RX330, and possibly the 16" on your previous RX300. That would make a dramatic difference in ride "comfort".

You might want to be sure your tires are not over-inflated, and even running them a bit low might help your comfort level without undue assymetrical tread wear.

Additionally it seems to me that the springs on the RX330 are quite a bit stiffer than the ones on my RX300.
  • barb0barb0 Member Posts: 2
    RX 330 has Standad 18" Michelin Tires
    Installed Standard Lexus Aluminum Chromes
    Bought the car with 18" Alloys
    Did not notice change in driving till after Chromes installed.
    RX300 had 16" wheel base
    over-inflated tires with the chromes?
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Wouldn't you think the Service Techs would look at tire pressure? It would seem obvious - at least to me. Then again, I've had some issues with techs not doing things that were pretty elementary!
    Well, first of all never expect a dealer to use an expensive technician for routine work.

But having said that I have noticed more than once as "techs" mounted tires that they substantially over-inflate them in order to properly seat the tire bead, screw the valve core in before much of the air escapes, and then leave it to the "gofer" actually mounting the wheel on the car to check for proper inflation.
  • herrierherrier Member Posts: 1
    Mine shows "AFS OFF" on the dash board, what should I do, is there a switch somewhere?
  • danldanl Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an RX330, the sales mgr steered me away from 18" wheels. He said they field many complaints from owners about the ride quality, poor tire wear, and the tires become noisy as they wear to about 50% tread. It sounds like you give up quite a bit to have the "look" of the 18" wheels and pay more in the process. Why not ask your dealer to put a set of 17" wheels from one of the dealership loaners on your RX for a few days to see if that solves your problem, I can tell you a good lexus store would do it in a heartbeat to keep a good customer.
  • towintowin Member Posts: 2
    Your Adaptive Front Lighting System (the thing that turns your headlights on curves) is turned off. There is a small button just above the fuel door release. Push it to turn them back on.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I doubt the advise of switching to 17" wheels. I'd estimate that a high percentage of new 330s come with 18" wheels because that's what customers want. We've had our 330 over a year and it rides great and no unusual wear on the tires. Check with other Lexus dealer service reps and see what they say.
    Sometimes, many times, customers have no idea that what they "want" is not the best overall, and maybe not even the best choice for their specific use. But it's the marketing and salespersons job to sell them what they "want", regardless of actual functionality or purpose.

18" wheels and low profile tires on an SUV is an absolutely perfect example. 18" wheels with low profile tires are the rage today only because they enhance the look and appearance of SUV's that are over-height to begin with.

Given an equal overall wheel/tire circumference 17" tires will have more flex and give than the 18" equivalent and thereby render a greater level of "comfort". Especially for those that use their SUV's for their intended purpose and not for out-cornering that Porsche C4.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Are there records breaking down the number of 330s sold with 17" and 18" wheels?

I've noticed that "people" (in general -especially those reading these forums) are pretty much immune to car salesmen's telling them how to configure the car they want.

There's not much incentive for the salesman switching a buyer to a different size of wheels.

What do Lexus engineers think about driving comfort of 17" vs. 18" wheels?

My guess is that Lexus has giving thought to these issues and that a large majority of 330 are sold with 18" wheels because Lexus and its customers (myself included) believe that for their intended purpose they prefer the larger wheels.
    John Q public sees RX330 with 18" wheels, likes the look of it, goes to Lexus for a test drive....

On the other hand there is the Pontiac Aztek.

"looks" of the vehicle have a tremendous affect on sales volume.

And just how sure are you that 18" wheels and low profile tires are not less expensive for the factory to purchase than are 17"...?
  • aavoidaavoid Member Posts: 2
    Hello people, I am in the market for the 2005 RX330 and I have been studying the options available. Now there's just this problem about purchasing the option on the Airsuspension.

I would like to hear from you folks and share with me your knowledge about the obvious advantages of purchasing this option. Any kind of information regarding

the comfort factor being compromised/enhanced,

performance improvement(less body roll, flat cornering stance)

or in terms of problems be it be in terms of durability, expensive to repair, limited life span(must replace every x amount of miles)

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for sharing.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Due to the lack of response- I guess I need to assume that nobody has taken their RX330 off road... which, pretty much answers the question. I guess I'm kinda' crazy wanting to take a luxury car off road.

Thanks. Question answered by default.
    The RX just simply isn't built for, nor marketed to, the "sports" off-road set. Try the GX470 or LX470, those are truly capable of sports off-roading.
    We love the riding comfort of our 92 LS400 with air suspension. Were I to ever own an RX330 it would certainly have the air suspension.

But it likely is more about comfort than road-holding performance.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I have a 2004 with the Performance Package and love my air suspension/sequential shifting combination. I can definitely tell the difference in handling with the various levels of air suspension, especially when I'm on a curvy road. The "Low" setting gives a much firmer ride and better handling. A fun thing to do when in slow traffic is to set it on "High" and see the looks on people's faces!

I've had this vehicle for 21 months now, with almost 25,000 miles, and have experienced no problem whatsoever (other than the inconvenience of having several of the TSBs done). Go for it!!!
  • aavoidaavoid Member Posts: 2
    Thanks wwest and my3rdrx. Wow 3rdrx?? You must really love your car to buy own 3 of it. :D

Anyway, is it true about the Air suspension needing replacement of the gas charged shocks every 50k miles and that it is easily breakable? Maybe wwest with his 92 LS has experienced of maintaining his air suspension LS?

Thanks guys for your replies.
    there are two 92 LS400's in my family both with air suspension, both at or over 100k miles, and neither have EVER had any problems with it.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    "Wow 3rdrx?? You must really love your car to buy own 3 of it. :D"

Yeah! I also had a '99 and '01. I'm sure my next one will be the 400h!
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    What are the general impressions of how the 2005 RX 330 drives? I have driven a 1999 RX and 2003 RX 300 by way of comparison. The 2005 RX seems a little "looser" up front; not as taut and connected as the older models.

Will an AWD give better cornering on dry pavement or will it only "shine" during inclement weather? Also, should one believe Lexus' claims of only one (1) mile per gallon difference penalty when comparing AWD fuel economy to FWD?

Do tires makes much difference in handling characteristics? My folks have Michelin Cross Terrains on their 1999 RX and they made a huge improvement over the former Goodyear Integrity rubber.

Any thoughts from current owners or recent test drivers would be appreciated.
    RWD, or rear torque biased AWD, will always give better, safer, cornering ability under acceleration, certainly so under heavy acceleration.

On the other hand, FWD, or front biased AWD, such as the RX, HL, Pilot, MDX, etc, can be a bit dicey when turning under acceleration, and blatantly UNSAFE under heavy acceleration.

Simultaneously applying engine drive torque and high lateral loads to just the one set of front tire contact patches can get you in BIG trouble in a BIG hurry. It's much better, for overall vehicle controlability and much more benign handling, to allocate engine drive torque to a separate set of contact patches than the ones loaded with lateral forces.

The 4runner, the BMW X3 & X5, are just a few of the rear torque biased, more safe, AWD systems currently in the market.
    Personally I perfer to run quieter and more comfortable summer tires on all my vehicles and then use snowchains anytime the need for more traction arises.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    I have decided to buy the 2005 RX330, but have not yet decided whether to go AWD or FWD.

While at present I live in Southern California, where FWD is fine, I may be transfered to a different climate; which one I am not sure, but it might possibly have snow or more rain than we have here in the land of sunshine.

When I talk to service managers at various dealerships I get very different input. Some say FWD is fine for most anything, and the limited slip differential and the weight of the engine over the front wheels is more than enough for daily driving, even in a climate like Chicago. I drove a front wheel drive Legend there for a few years and with winter tires never had a problem.

Others tell me that the AWD is of course sure footed in rain, and better in snow, but that there are other tangible differences. More torque from a dead stop, better cornering when driving on curves or curvy hilled roads -- which we have a lot of here in Southern California.

I am also told that the gas mileage penalty is 1 to 1 1/2 mpg more for the AWD.

Any timely input or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • buckeye1buckeye1 Member Posts: 41
    Legendman: I bot new '05 RX330, FWD, 18" wheels in Oct '04 from Mission Viejo Lexus. 5K miles on odo now. Since I don't plan on off-road, didn't consider AWD. As configured, imho, FWD is more than adequate. I really like 18" wheels...regular, not lo-pro. Drove to Seattle R/T: lots of rain in N.Cal, Ore., and Washington and never felt safety was a problem. Haven't yet driven in snow or on ice. Inherently, my RX has higher center of gravity than my Toyota Avalon sedan...merely a matter of physics based upon each vehicle's profile. Front wheel drive also makes RX handle slightly different than Avalon, e.g., slight understeer in RX. Not enough to really comment about.

If you believe you might move RX to snow/ice climate, or you plan to off-road, perhaps AWD is best option for you?
    the avalon also FWD?

Personally I would always op for the AWD version of the RX. But before you actually purchase I would do some serious research into the engine hesitation issue.
  • adamhoadamho Member Posts: 32
    Wow there is a lot of knowlege here. I have already bought one lexus RX330 back in February of "04. I love it and now my wife wants one. I paid 42,200+ tax etc. @5%apr for it. It is AWD and has the navagation package. I'm about to buy another one for my wife.

I called my salesman and asked him about FWD and he said they don't even sell the FWD because of the area we live in (Maryland) so I'm being forced to get a AWD. MSRP on it is $45,083.00. He said he could sell it to me for $41,500 @ 4.25%. Is this a good price? What are others paying right now out there? Does anyone know invoice on this vehicle? How much over invoice should I pay? I understand its different everywhere you go but I'm just trying to get an average.

Also should I force the issue with the FWD? I really just don't see the point of the AWD especially since I will be moving to an area that doesnt have snow/bad weather (Dallas)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out the Lexus RX 330: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for pricing info.

tidester, host
    Airline tickets are cheaper than paying the premium for AWD that you don't need.

But tell the local dealer what you plan to do first....
  • buckeye1buckeye1 Member Posts: 41
    I have not experienced any type of "hesitation" w/my new '05 RX330. The 5-speed tranny has a short 1st which gets things going quickly if you like that sort of thing. My '96 FWD Avalon,(4-speed tranny), is one fine automobile, but this Lexus is another step up. Normal advances over the years accounts for the difference, and, essentially, the RX is a different profile than the sedan...sits different, drives different. Very enjoyable suv.
  • skyfish400hskyfish400h Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone have experience with those aerodynamic cargo boxes that bolt onto the roof rack (Thule). Can you use those with the RX?

I'm thinking if the 84 cu ft of cargo cap shrinks to only 35 if you have people in the back seat. There will likely be a need to put stuff on the outside for camping trip to the mountains or long road trip.

what say ye?
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    I have the Thule Evolution 1600 it works fine, it maybe a liitle long but all in all no problems.
  • adamhoadamho Member Posts: 32
    The new navigation does include elevation & altitude information. I just test drove an 05' and noticed it on the navigation.