Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I only see 11 posts about antennas when I Search This Discussion with the tool near the bottom right of the messages.

Anyone?

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The antenna on the roof is a second antenna intended to improve reception in "marginal areas" and is auxiliary to the imbedded-in-glass antenna. Folding it down won't have any effect if the main antenna is picking up a strong signal.

tidester, host
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    These are my experiences, observations, and opinions about my new, 2005 AWD RX330
    with the Mark Levinson/Navigation Package. I have owned the car for about 5 weeks now.
    I share these in the hope that other prospective owners be forewarned. Obviously there
    will be people who love their cars unconditionally, but regretably, I am not one of them.

-----------------------------------------------

Pros: Comfortable Seats, Logical Heat/AC & Radio Controls, Power Tailgate
    Cons: Unrelenting Noise, Transmission Hesitation Dangers, Poor Gas Mileage

Driving experience

This SUV is very noisy inside. Indeed, it is not quiet at all, unless you are at
    a dead stop. At speeds 35 mph and over there is excessive wind/road noise that
    intrudes inside the cabin. The Goodyear tires are very noisy (Michelins are less
    so). The engine is very loud and truck like, due in part to a change in the materials
    used for the intake manifold -- from aluminum to less expensive -- and louder --
    plastic. The 5 speed electronically controlled transmission is buggy and often hesitates
    when driving at low speeds, typically around 25 mph. As this hesitation occurs there
    is very little power going to the power train, and then suddenly the car slams into
    gear at about 5000 rpm! This is a problem well known to Lexus RX330 owners, as
    well as LS 330 owners. There has been no fix, and it appears doubtful there will
    be one. In this owners opinion, it is a defect that could get you in a very bad,
    and even fatal accident. The gas mileage is terrible. I am getting 9 -11 mpg in
    town. AWD model exhibits greater road grip and better handling characteristics than
    the 2WD model. The new engine provides ample power.The ride is comfortable except when
    you hit a bump in the road you are jarred and punished in the cabin. Best to avoid
    sudden maneuvers, especially at highway speeds. Braking power is excellent.

Comfort & convenience

The seats are wide, supportive and very comfortable. Among the best available. The
    console is well layed out, convenient, and ample. The rear back-up camera is a good
    idea on paper, but in reality it is of little utility. The quality of the lens
    is such that at night, much of the vision field is washed out by even minimal light,
    and due to the fish eye lens, and a lack of a depth gauge, one cannot tell how close
    they are to another object with any certainty. It will help you see if little Johhny
    left his bike in the driveway, and that's about it. The Navigation system, while
    better than anything German cars have to offer, is just OK. Acura and Infiniti offer
    better, easier, and more intuitive systems.

Comments

This SUV is a tremendous disappointment, as has been Lexus' attitude toward addressing
    the serious shortcomings of this vehicle. Even though thousands worldwide have
    complained about the transmission hesitation and the noise problems, Lexus appears
    to be doing next to nothing to address these concerns. They use carefully written,
    'legalese' to reply to customer complaints at the dealership, such as the vehicle
    is displaying "normal operating characteristics". Well, the Pinto Wagon (exploding
    gas tanks) and the Ford Explorers (rollovers) were all operating normally right
    before they blew up or rolled over and passengers were injured or killed. I don't
    plan to be one of them. I will likely sell the car. Anyone considering this car
    would do well to test drive it carefully, radio off, and salesman keeping his/her
    mouth shut so you can listen to this car, and look for the transmission slipping
    and hesitating. This SUV is manufactured in Canada and in Japan. Some of those made
    in Canada had brake booster failure problems. Former RX300 owners must know that
    this is truly a completely different car -- excuse me -- SUV. The quiet and refined
    ride you experienced will not be present in this new, so-called improved version.
    Know too that this new RX uses "drive by wire" technology, meaning that a computer
    sensor is interpreting your gas pedal movement. The pedal is no longer connected
    via cable throttle linkage to the fuel injection system. That means that your commands
    to the engine via the pedal must first be interpreted then communicated to the engine
    electronically. Maybe that works well in the latest military jet fighter and commercial
    jets, but it seems to me and to many, that there are still a lot of bugs in this
    concept as it relates to automobiles. It is apparent to this owner that Lexus has
    gone about seeking ways to pull costs and save money on this car. Using one hood
    shock support instead of two, using cheap plastic for an engine manifold instead
    of metal, and what appears to be less sound deadening materials. They have also
    shortened the width of the brake pedal -- what was once a pedal that allowed two
    feet/and or a bigger 'target' in an emergency stop, is now a very small pedal. This
    all adds up to to a lot of sizzle and very little steak; steak that you are paying
    big bucks for. The 18" tires will cost nearly $1,000 when it's time to replace them.

Even with a bigger engine and a better turning radius, in my opinion, the former RX300
    remains a vastly superior vehicle. It was far more car like than the RX330. Consumer
    Reports (CR) needs to investigate the transmission hesitation, brake booster failures,
    and noise problem and address these concerns in future reviews.Their glowing
    review of this car strongly influenced my buying decision, and while I continue
    to support CR's good work in general, in my opinion, they badly dropped the ball
    as regards this current model.
  • carqueencarqueen Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone added a towing hitch to their SUV and attempted towing? Less than a year after purchasing the car I'm starting to think it's too small for my family (only 3 of us). Now we want a ski boat - under 3k lbs but the users manual really doesn't recommend towing... Let me know if and what you've heard about the towing capacity of the RX330.
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Try here. These are pretty cheap too!

http://bageco.com/hitchlists/hitchlistround_lexus.htm
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Normally I would say that if towing doesn't involve long climbs or long distances and remains within the designated weight limits the RX would be okay.

But my 2001 AWD RX300 has the towing package, including the extra ATF cooling heat exchanger, and the hitch was removed the week I bought the vehicle, brand new. Yet something within the transaxle is wearing so rapidly that the ATF was highly contaminated and burned at only 38k miles. This for a transaxle that has NO recommended fluid flush and drain for the life of the vehicle.

And I seem to be seeing an inordinate number of posts about premature failures of this transaxle in the 60 to 70k miles range.

And now it's becoming pretty clear that the newer models, the RX330, have this hesitation problem.

So no, I wouldn't plan to tow anything with an RX300 nor an RX330, nor would I buy one, until some definitive answer to these problems is brought forth.
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 17 foot aluminum boat with a 120 hp outboard that I pulled with my 1999 RX 300. It came with a trailer hitch and a towing package. I had over 150,000 miles on the RX 300 with no problems what so ever. I recently traded it in on a 2005 RX 300 that had a towing package but no hitch. I installed an after market hitch, which because of the location of the spare tire, extends slight past the rear bumper. I am not to happy about that as it defeats the purpose of an energy absorbing bumper. I have only pulled the boat a few times and for only a short distance with the new RX 330, but have had no problems.
  • sharkpsharkp Member Posts: 3
    Interesting that the roof antenna is auxiliary for marginal areas. I live about 30 miles outside the city - and radio reception in the RX330 is not good. (All my other cars both current and past are noticably better). I wonder if there is a problem with the connection to this antenna which is my problem. Does anyone else think the reception in the RX330 is not as good as in other cars they own?
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Tidester--Thanks for antenna info.

I have always found that an external antenna (retractable type) gives you better radio reception than the embedded antenna. Neither wife's LS 430 nor my RS 330 gets as good reception as I got in my RX 300 with the retractable antenna. Have noticed this in other cars also. That little folding antenna on the RX 330 just doesn't seem to do the job with weaker signals. Wish they had kept the same antenna that was on the RX 300.
  • crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    Finally! Got behind the wheel of the new RX330, AWD, TC Ed. I bought from So. Cal. 4/16/05.

Took it for a short spin locally. Noticed the ride appeared very comfortable, the ML audio with CD playing classical music middle of the night sounded better than when I first tested the sound while SUV was parked in my driveway. Handling was good, though I had to get used to the bigger support columns on both sides of the windshield; they appeared to block the side vision somewhat. I was amazed at the big size of the side mirrors (hope they add to safety of driving this car). Worse disappointment so far - As noted previously in other posts, the armrests of the driver and passenger seats in the front are pathetic, for any car, let alone a luxury car. I have relatively thin arms and the inside arm rest (towards the middle of the car) felt like it barely contained the width of my arm. I am not sure what it will be like for my husband once he starts driving the car. I did not notice this when I was looking over the car at the dealership.

No transmission hesitation noticed yet at 20 miles (I believe this problem can occur after more miles have been put into the SUV). I tried to stop the car suddenly, then accelerate to make a left turn to test for hesitation problems; so far, none was apparent. However, I must point out I did not gun the car to pick up speed fast. So I have to see what happens when I have to slow down and then merge quickly into fast-moving traffic, as in a highway.

There was slight rain outside and occasional big gusts of wind while I was driving. It appears the noise from outside are penetrating into the cabin despite having all windows closed and driving at 35-40 miles/ hr locally. It may be my RX has one of two major problems reported by owners. I will check out the noise level in the cabin coming from the outside when I can drive it in the highway at higher speeds. I hope this will not be a big factor and will not have to result in taking out the crossbars on the roof of the car.

Overall, the car appears to be very nice after a short initial ride. Will see if the driving experience changes over time.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I don't find the RX330 radio very good. My 2001 RX300 was better. I have a small Ford Focus which has better reception, even though I managed to break off the antenna.

I think car manufacturers have given up on building in radio reception because we have CD players.

Perhaps XM or Sirius would improve things.
  • jj2jj2 Member Posts: 11
    I don't have Nav in my 330 and I have the outside. I haven't had any reception problems with my radio. :confuse: antenna?
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    "The cabin in the RX is extremely quiet, I don’t know why this gets so many complaints in the boards. Wind noise is very minimal and the engine is very quiet"

Man, you are a lucky guy! Can we trade pink slips?

By the way, are you driving on 17" or 18" tires? Michelin's or Goodyear's?

;-)
  • doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    You were definitely right about the noise part. My wife's 2004 RX330 is not as quiet as the RX 300 she had. That's a big disappointment. It's not even as quiet as our 2005 Sienna!
  • jj2jj2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 RX and it is much quieter than my 2001 RX. I am driving on 18" Michelins. The 2001 RX300 had a lot of squeaks and noises in comparison to the new RX. I guess I am lucky! :)
  • minivanmama1minivanmama1 Member Posts: 28
    A curious question for other RX330 owners. When you bought your vehicle, how long did you intend to keep it? I would purchase outright without any lease considerations. What problems have you had with maintenance? How many miles to you put your vehciles per year?
    I just received notification of a brake booster recall. Because of a "hard brake petal feeling", Lexus will replace the brake booster in RX 330 vehicles.

Does anyone know about this? I haven't had the particular "feeling" and wonder if the replacement is necessary.
  • sharkpsharkp Member Posts: 3
    My wife's RX330 had the brake booster replaced. One day she started the car, backed up about 3 feet, and said "the brakes are not working". (They actually were working - or else she would not have stopped, but she had to push the pedal so hard she felt that there were no brakes). I could not get it to happen again. About 2 months later, same problem occurred, but this time the problem stayed. You had to push so hard on the brake pedal that you felt you were going to break it (no pun intended). We called Lexus - they came and towed in the car and replaced the brake booster (all under warranty). I am not sure if this is the exact problem of the recall you reference, but if so, you will DEFINATELY know when the brake booster is not working.
    It's the brake pedal, not the petal!
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Apparently the recall involves 146,000 2004 RX 330 and the problem seems to have occurred in cold climates. I called my dealers service department and they advised that it does not apply to my VIN (recently purchased 2005 RX 330). Below links discuss the issue.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=1966
    http://www.motorcities.com/contents/05BH7112212621.html

NHTS published a bulletin #00504, item # 10010149 on Sept 17, 2004. This may pertain but NHTS web site doesn't give any details of bulletin other other than to say it pertains to Lexus EX330 brake booster.
    Relax, we're all fluent in chat typo around here. And our spell checker wouldn't have caught that one anyway. Good info about the breaks (we're going to get a lot of milage out of you on this one, lol).

And if I cared, I could come back to this post within 30 minutes and fix the broken millag..er, mileage. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • chtimi59chtimi59 Member Posts: 3
    Could somebody tell me what brand of windshield sunshade fits the RX330 the best ? Thanks in advance.
    :shades:
  • malexusrx330malexusrx330 Member Posts: 7
    hello! Does anyone have any experience with the 3M's X-pel paint protection kits. It is suppoosed to protect the paint from stones ect. Also what is the tint or identification number for the Luminar window tint to match the rear passenger windows? thank you for any help/information. :shades:
    Had the replacement done today. Two + hours seemed like a long time. The brakes do seem better. I recall that the brakes on my 330 seemed harder to use than on the 300, but I just got used to using extra pressure. My brakes now seem like the RX300.
  • rjnrjn Member Posts: 8
    Are the high intensity headlights worth the extra money?If so, where have you noticed performance differences. Thanks.
  • larrym96815larrym96815 Member Posts: 4
    I have a Corvette without them and my wife has Mercedes with HID. I cannot believe the difference when I drive her car at night. It is a major improvement. We just bought the RX 330 and HID was a must for me.

Aloha,
    Larry
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    There's really no way to describe the difference. You simply have to drive one (loaner from the dealer?) to experience the drastic improvement!! The HIDs are truly that much better!! I'll never own another car w/o them! I installed an aftermarket HID system on my 2000 RX-300 and my new 2004 RX-330 has factory installed HIDs. I bought the aftermarket system right before they became illegal to even sell - so I don't know how difficult it is to obtain a good system with name brand components now.
  • rjnrjn Member Posts: 8
    Larry and Steve...... Thanks for the info.
  • jono2jono2 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any details on when the 2006 rx 330 will be available and if there will be any significant changes?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter wishes to speak with people who have recently purchased a Lexus RX330. She would like to discuss your ownership experience and what other cars you considered. If you would like to speak with her please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com by 12 noon Tuesday, June 28. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jono2jono2 Member Posts: 7
    Hey Kirstie,

Haven't gotten any responses in regard to the 2006 RX 330, and have actually been emailing several internet sales departments and no one will respond. Now if I say I'm interested in buying a 2005, they call me non-stop. Should I assume by their lack of response that there will be changes for 2006 and they just don't wnat to tell me about them on the chance that I'll just buy a 2005?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think the safest assumption is that everyone is trying to reduce their '05 inventories to make room for the '06.

tidester, host
  • 4424jm4424jm Member Posts: 25
    2005 came out end of september. 2006 probably same.
    New to our fleet.

Long-Term Test: 2006 Lexus RX 400h

Talk about it over in the Lexus RX 400h discussion.

Steve, Host
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 5
    Hello, everyone! I just purchased a new 2005 RX330 completely loaded. I have a few questions, however, and the manual does not address them.

First off, when you play a DVD on the rear entertainment system, can you not send it through out the entire Mark Levinson sound system? I cannot figure out how to do this. Can it only play through the wireless headphones or plugged-in headphones? I do not understand why the system is not capable of doing this as my new Cadillac SRX can.

Second, why did lexus not personalize the remotes? My Cadillac SRX has personalized remotes (1 & 2) that adjust the seats, pedals, climate, and radio presets. The lexus you have to press the buttons on the door. My 96 Chrysler T&C could do that!

Help on this two issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :confuse:
  • sbgetawaysbgetaway Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone give me a suggestion on chrome rims for my white rx 330. The alloy have to go!
  • tcheungtcheung Member Posts: 6
    The sound system on the 05 RX330 I recently bought lacks base and sounds flat when compared to my 02 ES or the 00 RX300 I previously own. This has got to be the worse sound system in a $40K car. Anyone else out there experience the same?
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    When is the New Lexus RX body comming out, and is there a cycle. I bought the Silversport and two years later the new body came out. So i want to wait for the newer style that way i am not driving around an "old car"
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    That the 2006 RX is going to be the RX350? I think it was Alpha or somebody who told me that.
  • esrxgsesrxgs Member Posts: 3
    Ans. Yes you can just press "DISC" on the front control next to "AM &FM" until you have AUX display on the screen"

Ans. 2 It would be nice if Lexus personalize the remotes:)
  • tnguyen74tnguyen74 Member Posts: 65
    Anyone got any insights on the 2006 RX ? I've heard it's going to be the RX350. Any other changes?
  • dirty330dirty330 Member Posts: 1
    ">I have an 04 RX330 black. I found a set of wheels and tires that are just what I wanted. Sporty. Wider stance. Not to pimped out looking. 18'' Chrome Alba Edge Wheels Size: 18" x 8 " 35mm offset, 5 x114.3 bolt pattern & Nitto NT-404 Extreme Force Tires Size: 255/55 R18 109V

I love them! Try your local tire place for new ones or maybe search on ebay for used ones.
    Does anyone make a cold air intake and exhaust system for this vehicle? I find this stuff for many cars but not the RX 330. Am I the only one here who finds it to be a boring to drive car?

Aloha,
    Larry
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    absolutely boring.

And your point is...??
    I would like to make the RX a little more "fun" instead of just transportation. A few more HP may help.

Aloha,
    Larry
    Someone in Breathe Easy: Int. & Exh. Headers + Mufflers and Pipes may have some helpful suggestions.

Steve, Host
  • dudemeisterdudemeister Member Posts: 1
    2004 330 - Assuming you have NAV and you do not have mark levinson, lets say the premium sound pkg, what are your stereo upgrade options? Any one here done this? I'm thinking somewhere in the $1K-$2K range.
    Thank you
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    The '06 RX330 will be available later this year, like autumn, and no, not many changes. Its next significant refresh will happen next year, for midcycle facelift. I'd wait until next year if you want changes, but I love my '04 RX as it is. We're actually heftily considering an '07 RX400h.
  • susansjsusansj Member Posts: 3
    We just traded in our 2000 LEXUS RX300 for a new 2005 RX330 and expected nice bells and whistles, certainly no unpleasant surprises. If you're considering getting a new one and ride bikes, you'd better be prepared to shell out a additional $1,000 for a hitch-type bike rack because the rear bike rack we used on the Rx300 -- cannot be used. NO REAR STRAP BIKE RACK CAN BE USED. An unpleasant surprise which, in addition to the extra cost, required us to change our biking vacation plans, as it takes 2-3 weeks to order this and have it installed. I feel some reviewer somewhere (nevermind the salesperson who we told we were going biking) should have mentioned this. :mad: