Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    Question 1 - you can't, frustrating isn't it after your 2000th time hitting "I agree"

Question 2 - its in one of the menus, Display I think, there is an option to turn off the map display.
  • bnh7543bnh7543 Member Posts: 10
    Tow Wiring '05 RX 330 Picking up my '05 RX 330 in 2 weeks. I'll install the tow hitch (Curt) myself. What do I need to do to hook up my existing trailer wiring to the vehicle. Any other advice on this topic is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    I installed a trailer hitch and wiring on my 2005 RX 330. My RX was set up for trailer towing, but it did not have a hitch or the wiring harness. I would suggest that you purchase a wiring harness from the dealer. Not cheap ($40 to $50), but I did not want to void my warranty by cutting and spicing the wiring. It will have the necessary connection fitting to connect directly to a blank plastic wiring connection that is located on the driver's side of the trunk area. You will have to remove the interior panel to get at the connection point. There is even a hole trough the metal in the bottom of the trunk area to run the wiring.

I had a hard time finding where to connect the harness. When I called the dealer, they told me where to look, but they were wrong. Once I found where to connect the harness, it only took a few minutes to install. Spent more time tying to find the connection point, then to actually install it.

If you have a problem, please email me and I will try to explain in greater detail how to find the connection point.

Rich
    Thanks Rich, I'll keep that in mind. Which hitch did you go with? I looked at the "Curt" Hitches and they look pretty good. Class 2.5 with no drilling. I read somewhere to avoid the "Hidden Hitch" brand. Thanks
  • wrahnwrahn Member Posts: 45
    I've been looking at putting a 3M clear film "bra" on the front end of my crystal white RX-330. Total price for bumper and part of the hood is $450 installed. Does anyone have experience with this product? And if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks,
    Wes
    There is a forum that addresses this subject. Let us know what you decide..

achenator, "Bug guards, protective bras & film" #, 15 Apr 2001 9:48 pm
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    My hitch is made by "Draw Tite". I got it from a local hitch shop. The only problem is that it extends further out the back of the vehicle than I would like, due to the location of the spare tire. On my previous 99 RX 300, which had the spare tire inside the trunk area, the hitch was more recessed and did not extend beyond the bumper. All the hitches that I looked at for the RX 330, seemed to extend further than I would prefer. The only other strange thing is how the hitch is made to go around the exhaust pipe.

Rich
  • shorty68shorty68 Member Posts: 4
    This is a question for people who have a running board attached. Did you like it or not?
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    Wife & I are proud owners of 2004 Toyota Sienna w/factory Navigation & Rear DVD Player. I plan to add to the enjoyment with a 2006 Lexus RX330 purchase within next 3 months.

I discovered an absolute wonder yesterday with Sienna's factory Navigation & Rear DVD Player. DVD's will play through BOTH rear drop-down screen, as well as FRONT Navigation LCD when van's parking brake is applied!!! :surprise: I would never have discovered this if we hadn't parked on a hill & put on a DVD for our daughter!

Question for current RX330 owners with both factory Navigation & factory-installed Rear DVD Players... Does RX have this capability as well? I'll be ecstatic if at least one person can verify this as standard functionality. To test, simply play a DVD in rear as normal. Apply parking brake (assuming it's a foot brake in Lexus as well) while in any gear except "R". And Voila - DVD should display through Navigation screen as well. If not, attempt to press DVD button &/or Display buttons in front... Can't see Toyota enabling this feature for Sienna's, but not for Lexus'.

Cheers,
    CmptrGuy74
  • colvertcolvert Member Posts: 9
    Yes, the RX330 DVD RSES can play on the front nav display when the parking brake is applied.

Cole
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks Cole!

This is great news. Can't wait to get a 2006 RX. Came close to purchasing 2005 Thundercloud Edition yesterday w/Navigation - but it didn't have the factory DVD Player. Kind-of glad they didn't come to terms with my price cap ($1000 over invoice) because I now have Rear DVD Player as requirement (new discovery was after deal went south). I'm waiting till November/December time frame to attempt negotiations of a loaded 2006 AWD RX @ $500 over invoice. Probably wishful thinking, but that's my target price.

I appreciate the quick response :-)

CmptrGuy74
  • kderobertiskderobertis Member Posts: 82
    $500 over invoice for a 2006................ never happen until maybe after the Christmas holidays.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    I have a black RX ... I wish I would've done the clear bra b/c there are A LOT of chips on my 2005, but I have already put 15,000 miles on so ...

Anyways ... I have ZERO chips on the actual bumper ... I would guess that just doing around the grill and headlights up the hood and the side mirrors would be enough.
    Thanks for your input. I'm scheduled to have my clear bra installed on Thursday.

Wes :shades:
    Wes..Also considering the same. Please report back to us on how it goes. Thanks :)
    Looking an the Lexus webpage there are black all weather mats for the Lexus RX400h, wondering will they fit my 2005 RX330?

My only concern is the anchor points, are they the same for both vechicles.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    rich18944..Help !!
    You suggested I can e-mail you to get further details on how to installl the wiring harness that I got from the dealer to my new RX330, but I don't have your e-mail. Can you e-mail me at mrfuni@swfla.rr.com details of the harness hook up? Thanks very much in advance. Joe
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message. It is better to make your email address visible in your user profile which other Forums members can access by clicking on username.

tidester, host
    I changed my mind. I decided that after paying $40,000 for a car why pay another $550 just to stop some chips at the front. I'm going to get dings all over the car by the time I'm ready to trade it in, like I'm done the last three times. It doesn't seem to decrease the resell value.

Wes
    Interesting analysis...I would have thought you'd say, "After paying $40,000 for a car what's another $550 to keep the chips off the front." I guess the alternative is to spend $10 for a bottle of touch up paint... :confuse:
    That 3M film will not look great as the car starts to age.

Dont tailgate trucks and proper maintenance waxing etc. your vehicle will be fine.
    I know people might think this is way off the subject, however, since I'm not putting on the 3M Bra I need another form of protection. I have the Crystal White 2005 and I'm more interested in protection, rather than "showroom" beauty and I don't want it to be a full time job. So, which wax is the best to use to PROTECT the car's paint?

Sorry if I'm too far off the subject, and thanks for any knowledge and experience with Lexus paint protection.

Wes
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While waiting for responses, check out the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion .

For showroom fans, there's Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2).

Steve, Host
    I find Meguires to be the best wax. http://www.meguiars.com/
    Their newest wax, NXT Tech Wax, goes on easy without the "dust" normal wax creates. Good for clear coat and last a long time IMO. You can get it at WalMart for about $13.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Also, check out magnetbra.com
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    It's not going to stop dings, but you should put a coat of wax on your car at least every six months. I've used Mequires Clean-Wax for years and it's great stuff. You're cleaning all the road junk off and adding a coat of wax at the same time. One of the easier products to use.
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    I bought an 2005 Rx 330 AWD It now has a little under 3,000 miles. The mechinac at Lexus told me to expect to see a great improvement in gas millage at 5,000 miles. Also I spoke with two different Mechinacs about the octane and both said the car will get better millage and run better with 91 Octane. I am very pleased with my RX 330. It was made in Japan.
    Mike
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    At today's gas prices I would be curious to do a cost-benefit calculation on the price of 91 octaine vs how many additional miles you get out of it. Has anyone ever figured out if it is worth it?
  • edfosteredfoster Member Posts: 3
    Anyone has experience of buying a new car online and have it to ship to you? I am a first time buyer. Any advice? :confuse:

Ed
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Bought my new 2001 Porsche C4 online and took factory delivery. Bought black 92 LS400 in Tucson and flew down and drove back. Bought Four Winds MH on Ebay but it was local.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Bought black 92 LS400 in Tucson

hehe..now we know why the LS had fogging problems. it was designed for a "DRY" climate...;-) sorry, wwest...couldn't resist!
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004 RX330 silver color and wish I had put a clear film on, a couple of ski trips and I have more chips in the front than I can count. Amazingly my 1995 GMC Jimmy the RX330 replaced with 10 years of ski trips had less chips then the RX330.
  • tiger93tiger93 Member Posts: 57
    You said it. I should know by now to put film on the front end of Lexus cars. It started with my black '99 GS400 a while back. I put 20k miles on it before selling it and the front end looked like it had been sand blasted. I'm trying to sell my wife's '03 RX300 right now and the front end looks freckled with the touch-ups I've done. Took it to the dealer and got a quote to repaint the hood and grill area: $900!

I have had a half dozen black cars in the past 10 years and none have been as susceptible to chips as Lexus. I thought it was something about the black paint they use until we got the white RX300 and it developed the same condition. It's got to be something about the paint or the process they use.

Next lexus I buy will most definitely have the clear bra. I still love the cars :)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I had a clear bra installed on my wife's RX330 for a little less than $150, and after having read the last few posts this appears to be money well spent. After about 2 years and 23,000 miles, I don't see any chips in the paint where the film was applied. Now if I can just get her to choose her parking spots a little more carefully, as the clear bra doesn't do anything to prevent door dings on the sides...
    Recently I drove my 2005 RX330 with the rear door open, and the alarm kept ringing and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Normally I wouldn't ride with the rear door open, but there are times when it might be necessary. So, does anyone on this forum know how to turn off the "rear door open" alarm?

Thanks,

Wes
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    1. You cannot defeat the 'I Agree" screen... you will have to press it if you intend on using navigation. For audio and climate control just press the panel button to access those options.

2. Press the DISPLAY button and then touch SCREEN OFF to disable the screen.
    to use the nav you can open the DVD door and it will not ask you the "I agree" question until you close the door. Or you can buy one of those fog light remotes and open and close the DVD door from the driver's seat.
    At how many miles did you notice that you are geting this great millage?? As I have a 2005 RX AWD and have a little under 3,000 Miles and I am not getting that kind of millage yet. My dealer told me that after 5,000 Miles I will see an improvement? Also they suggered using 91 Octane for best millage and performance.
    What about Performance?
  • mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    What is the grade of gas that the manufacturer is recomending and what does everyone use?
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

I am hoping to get people's experiences with RX330's and Gas Mileage on Highways. It would ultimately be a commuter car for me and I am on a budget. I spend 95% of my time on the highway.

Car anyone help me with real expectations for highways mileage.

Thanks,
    KA
    Is getting an entirely new AWD system design, full time, but with a switch that allows you to lock the torque distribution at 55/45 F/R. Also new is electric only stearing with a "stick shaker" effect on the stearing wheel when VSC activates to prevent you from turning the stearing wheel in a way that would exacerbate overstearing or understearing.

Will the 2006 RX330 also get these features??
  • waltliuwaltliu Member Posts: 2
    Where did you purchase the clear bras? Not OEM.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    From a locally owned business that I've used before with excellent results. He charged about a quarter of what they wanted at the dealership. Also used him for my FX45 for about the same price ($125-$140 each) and on that one I also had him do the top of the rear bumper.
  • hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    hi all:

I'm located in NYC, and considering buying a RX330. It concerns me that its HID headlights is a hot item to be stolen and costs like $5k to replace.

I would like to know, if I install those metal grill in front of the bumper. (with a style that will cover the headlights), will that make removing the headlights harder ?

because parking in NYC, I'll need that or my bumper will be scratched by other cars anyway.

thanks,
  • crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    Hi, I wd not recommend for NYC parking (and other parts of the northeast). I was informed the metal grill in the front does not protect the headlights, just tend to add to the damage (according to knowledgeable members of a lexus forum). There was a discussion about a NYC resident having his RX330 targeted 3X for the headlamps. Parking in a garage was expensive and a 25 minute walk away from place he lived. (Even parking in a garage did not prevent another person from having his headlamps stolen.) The person mentioned above decided he had to get rid of the car. I wish there is another option to xenon headlights for the RX. I am afraid to drive it when I go to NYC. Also, my husband refuses to drive the RX into NJ for business trips, so the car is not as fully used as it should be (held hostage by the theft problem)!
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    To stop the alarm that sounds when the back door is open, here is the procedure:

1. Stop the car

2. Open the back door and go around to the back and clear the obstruction

3. Close the door; problem solved
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    There are some very interesting posts on the LS 430 forum regarding an override procedure for the NAV system which will enable you to enter destinations and bring up POI info while moving. I wouldn't recommend the procedure unless you have a co-pilot however. See posts # 7602, 7603 and 7605. These procedures work great in both my 03 LS and 05 RX.
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    just returned form north carolina to florida fully loaded. i got better than 26.5 on
    the two tanks of 87 oct. the readout on car indicated 27.5, it has always read more than actual. 2004 2wd 14000 mi. with cruse set at 70 most of trip.
  • rezultzrezultz Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone have any info on the ADJ. AIR SUSPENSION on the 2006 model? Can't seem to get an answer from dealerships via email and no one has posted on this option...however, it is on the website and 2006 RX brochure. Is this option availible yet or is it a late intoduction?