Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Options
    acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    In the past, the high compression ratio dicated the octane needed. But, with the newer computer controlled engines it seems to be much less important.

Len
  • Options
    swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Kriglv: I am on my third RX; current have 05; all of them used 87 octane without a problem. Enjoy your new car.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Lugging the engine, asking the engine to accelerate the vehicle without the proper gear ratio (torque multiplication engaged) will also result, oftentimes, in engine knock/ping.

The piston cannot move downward as fast as the fuel/air mixture flame front is expanding and the resulting "knock/ping" can damage the engine.

If you are experiencing any level of the infamous engine/transaxle delay/hesitation then Lexus recommends the use of premium fuels to help alleviate the indecisiveness of the engine/transaxle ECU regarding downshift gear selection.
  • Options
    acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    Well said; or written.

You sound like an ME.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    http://www.lexususa.com/models/rx_gateway.html

Note that with the debut of the 270 horsepower (SAE certified) RX350, the hybrid version has changed name- no longer the rather awkward RX400h, it is now called simply the RX Hybrid.

~alpha
  • Options
    I think Lexus is watering down acceleration times with the RX and ES. There is no way the RX350, with 50 additional horses, is going to be only 4 tenths quicker to 60 than its 3.3L predecessor...

~alpha
  • Options
    10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    We are very happy with our new 330(another 800 mile trip this weekend) but I've got to wonder when the 'stock' 18" wheel is going to change. Looks like '07 will be the third year for the same design. I'm not one to drop over $1K just to have something different but one different model for a modest upcharge would be interesting. We are coming off three Volvos in a row and the Volvo wheel chart is the size of a POSTER...
    many more than they need.

BTW, still looking for anyone with dealer-installed XM...wondering if you are happy with the set-up for the $695 our dealer wants.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    According to the road test results that I have seen, the 0-60 times for the RX330 were something like 8.9 seconds, a lot slower than Lexus claimed. Maybe the RX350 will actually do 7.4 seconds (AWD).
  • Options
    hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    keep in mind acceleration of the car also depends on the gear ratio of the transmission, but not just the hp from the engine.
  • Options
    And remember that the later FWD Cadillacs with the high HP/Torque NorthStar engine would automatically dethrottle the engine if the driver went WOT from a standing stop to alleviate loss of control from wheelspin/slip and horrid torque stear.

Most Joan Q's, likely the vast majority, don't buy SUVs for their 0-60 times regardless of HP rating.
  • Options
    What Road Test was that? C/D clocked the AWD RX330 at 7.8.

~alpha
  • Options
    Consumerguide.com reports 8.9 seconds for the 2wd RX330. Consumer Reports measured 8.8 seconds for the awd version (Sept '03 issue) C/D always seems to get lower numbers than anyone else.
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    When is the RX due for a total redesign? It doesnt make sense for lexus to release the RX 350 when a redesign is due in two years (i think). It is another strategy Lexus/Toyota is using to sell the RX when a redesign is about to come. Last time they did it was with the Coach and Silversport edition.
  • Options
    In the December 2003 issue, Motor Trend reported 8.7 seconds 0-60 for the RX330 (awd). I knew I keep all those old magazines around for a reason!
  • Options
    rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    Hello '10scoachrick'
    I am happy to answer your questions if I may. But first I would kindly ask you to look at my post #1356, which I posted under Problems and Solutions Lexus RX330 in the last week or so. I bet you wont believe what I have written. So to help you now. The $695 the dealer wants to install XM is a good price. I paid $724 for installation in Los Angeles.It took my dealer 4 hours to install the XM and the job he did was the most professional I have ever seen. Keep in mind that if the dealer screws up and maybe damages something you are still covered under warranty. If you have an after market guy do it and he damages something, then your warranty is history. Most Important and Good Luck! Now to address your tire situation. I noticed in the Los Angeles area on the freeways I would experience a tire noise from the road that at sometimes became so loud I had to turn up my radio. This is on cement freeways. If the freeway is asphalt the tires are QUIET. I am speaking of course of Michelin tires. On one of my RX330's I had Goodyear 18" tires and they were quiet as could be. As you will notice from my post I am heavily debating whether to look into the new RX350 or not. My post will explain my situation, however, if you would like to email me directly please do not hesitate to do so as I welcome any and all opinions.My email address is in my profile for you to view. Good luck in all of your adventures with your Lexus!
  • Options
    rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    To all of you good people whether you know it or not, that have helped me in so many ways to make a proper decision I thank you. If you wonder what I am talking about, please see my message post under Problems and Solutions Lexus RX330. Post #1356, posted in the last week or so. Anyone that cares to offer any more suggestions would be gratefully appreciated and if you wish you may email me directly. My email is viewable in my account section
  • Options
    jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    It's a strategy that they use to keep sales up and the product fresh. They add the new bigger engine this year to keep it interesting. Then maybe next year they'll refresh the design (new grille and taillamps) and that should hold them over until 2009 when the new RX model comes out. Kind of like what they did wwith the 2002-2006 ES.
  • Options
    Well, I stand corrected then, but those numbers still surprise me. Usually, CR's numbers align well with Car and Driver's 5-60 Street Start, in which brake-torqueing is not utilized. I personally dont find consumerguide very impressive, and dont really look to any of their performance specs.

~alpha
  • Options
    trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    Hi Rich, I wonder if you can help me. Do you know of any way to Reset the average miles per gallon other than re fuelling the gas tank? You were very helpful with the override problem with the nav system. Thanks Mike
  • Options
    RX350 news...

No DFI engine so lower MPG than otherwise expected.

The VC, viscous clutch, is back, so maybe better AWD overall functionality.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Lexus RX 350 news discussion over in Future Vehicles too. It could use some posts (even rumors, lol).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    Mike, I haven't figured this one out yet. Sorry! Maybe someone else can tell us how to clear the average "mpg" without refueling. Rich
  • Options
    10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    I haven't tried it but does the avg mileage reset when the fuel door is opened or when the filler cap is removed or when you put the nozzle in or when you drive up to the pump? How do it know??? I enjoyed resetting the Volvo fuel avg on the fly...minor miss on the RX...along with the always hot 12v outlet in the cargo area and actually setable intermittent wipers and sunglass pouch on the front of the seats.
  • Options
    rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    I tried opening the fuel door and removing the filler cap and that did not work.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I haven't tried it but does the avg mileage reset when the fuel door is opened or when the filler cap is removed or when you put the nozzle in or when you drive up to the pump? How do it know???

I know they are different vehicles, but probably this feature operates the same on my 05 Highlander Limited....and I also wish there was a way to reset the average mpg indicator.

It seems that there are a few "triggers"...refueling the tank, but only after the level has dropped below a certain point, as I recently "topped off the tank" before a long trip, only putting in 3 or so gallons, and it did NOT reset. hmmmm...

i understand the pre-04 highlanders could be reset by holding the info button in for a few seconds while displaying the avg mpg...
  • Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    My wife had an 04 RX330. I never fell in love with the car. It was perfectly fine but it was little buzzy and a little too loud. It just didn't have that smooth-as-butta feel I remembered from her x-Lexus sedan.
    She traded for an '07 350 2 weeks ago. IMHO the RX has moved from a luxo but rebadged Toyota (not a terrible thing) to a genuine Lexus. It is noticeably quicker (I didn't understand why it needed more power) but it moves with more authority. It is noticeably more quiet which was my complaint about her '04. The standard sound system sounds better. It feels like a Lexus. Toyota/Lexus is very good at fixing the small stuff to turn a good car into a great one. Toyota = good car. Lexus = great car. My 2 cents.

ps. the nav system we didn't have before looks useful but has a serious learning curve. . . the moving headlights are interesting. . . and can't tell if the headlight washer is a silly gadget or useful. . . we rarely have anything close to a dirty car. :)
  • Options
    trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone let me know if it is normal for the street names on my GPS screen to jiggle while driving? My car is a 2005 RX 330 Thanks Mike
  • Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    while I find the Nav confusing in other ways, nothin' jiggles on the screen of our new 07. good luck
  • Options
    gqfrommarsgqfrommars Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2005 Rx330 with Nav, Rear Entertainment and have a question regarding how to hook up my MP3 player utilizing the Aux inputs in the back and have it play through all of speakers.

After putting a dvd in the rear ent. system I have been able to make the ipod work on the rear ent. headphones, but not through the speakers, the dvd plays through the speakers not my MP3 player. Does anyone have any suggestions or directions?

Is there a hack for this, so the MP3 player can be heard throught the speaks with line in quality?

Thanks.
  • Options
    petej2petej2 Member Posts: 13
    Whats the best way to install a sirius xact. I want to use a permanent mount, but my car is a lease so i eventually will want to remove it 2006 RX330 with nax
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I am very curious about others experiences with either the RX330 or 350 with Performance Package. I had a few opportunities to drive RX330's back to back with and without "PP", and was impressed with the slight differences.

Later, when I looked around, I found there wasn't much inventory, perhaps previously owned. I'm curious about owners experiences good or bad...

Has the system proven it's worthiness to you?

Has it been as durable and dependable as the rest of the car?

Did your car not come with the "towing package" increased powertrain cooling (larger radiator, oil coolers, etc.) available on the other RX models?
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I have an 04 with Performance Package which now has over 33K miles on it. Other than normal maintenance and the pesky TSBs, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever. In fact, I still have the original Michelin tires on it!

I agree that it's difficult to get one with "PP" as I had to order mine back in 04 and wait almost three months for it — but it's worth every penny and the wait!

The only reason now that I will upgrade to the 350 instead of the 400h is because the 400h doesn't have a "PP" option!

BTW, I did originally order one with the Towing Package but none was available.
  • Options
    sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    Hawaii ... they still get their cars from Japan. It appears to be the Canadian plant that is not producing 350s with PP. Local dealer claims PP was not popular/loved on 330 (something about less ground clearance was mentioned). I've gotten used to that type of shifting-automatic on my last two German cars, so maybe I'll have to plan a fly-drive-buy trip to Maui. Here how the choice is listed on the Lexus of Maui website (www.lexusofmaui.com/home.asp):

# Choice "I" ($5,495):

* (VP) Performance Package
    o Graphite Wheels w/235/55R18 all season tires
    o All season tire pattern
    o 6.5J graphite plating
    o Air Suspension / Sequential A/T
    o Illumination Entry System
    o Power Tilt/telescoping Steering with Memory
    o High intensity headlamps (HID) w/Adaptive Front Lighting Sys
    o Roof Racks
    o Steering Wheel (not wood)
    o Roof Rails
    o Leather trim interior
    o Rain-Sensing Wipers
    o One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof
    * (HH) Two-level heated front seats with rain sensing wipers
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "Local dealer claims PP was not popular/loved on 330 (something about less ground clearance was mentioned)."

That doesn't sound legit as the Performance Pkg. allows you to raise the car, and thus increase its ground clearance.
  • Options
    la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    The "normal" ride height for the models with air suspension (performance package) is slightly less, and lowers and raises automatically, or you can set the control to ride in the lower or higher positions, rather than "auto". There is also a lowest setting, for loading-only when parked.

Aftermarket controllers are also available, from what I've seen.
  • Options
    mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I would like to get an XM or Sirius radio installed in my 05 RX 330. I don't want it to be an ugly installation that has wires hanging our of the existing radio or that looks very after marketish. Has anyone had a nice clean, unobtrusive installation and, if so, how convenient is it to use?
  • Options
    pbcsdpbcsd Member Posts: 1
    Am about to pull the trigger on a 2004 330 and will need some new tires before winter. OEM is the Michelin LX4.

There doesn't appear to be much in the original tire size for this truck? I live in Toronto Canada so want some good all season (I know, oxymoron!) tires that will handle decently in the winter. The Dueler's appear to be the favorite choice on Tirerack, but are listed as a "light snow" "higway all season". So not sure if the reviews are skewed by people not using them in more than a few cm of snow?

Another option may be the Toyo Open Country, but I'm not a fan of the look of that tire!

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Steve
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    In case you can't find an installation procedure, I just put the antenna on the back of the car roof and ran the wire down the side moulding and through the bottom and under the carpet. I just leave that there, cause I use Sirius in the house. I plug in to the power outlet when needed.

It's not really unsightly or inconvenient.
  • Options
    sooner_chotsooner_chot Member Posts: 28
    With a newborn joining our family, I am considering a new Pilot, new Ridgeline, or a CPO RX 330. We need something w/ a little more space and can keep for a long long time.

I am a long-time Honda owner. I appreciate the Pilot's interior space and Honda's reliability, but the styling is bland. I like the Ridgeline's styling and space. Would this truck be suitable for a family of 3, maybe 4 in the future? I like the RX 330, but am concerned about the mid-grade/premium fuel it needs. Any thoughts on the CPO program?

Given these three choices, I would appreciate any advice/comments.
  • Options
    briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    My 2005 RX 330 AWD uses regular fuel just fine...it does not need mid-grade premium. A great vehicle!
  • Options
    Are the repair/maintenace costs higher than average since it is a Lexus? I have heard of some people going to Toyota dealerships to have their vehicles serviced to save $$.
  • Options
    briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    Lexus dealer service is expensive, but not much is needed. I do my own oil and filter every 5000 miles. I think 30,000 is the first significant service on the schedule.
  • Options
    I would recommend the CPO RX330 provided the dealer is willing to hand write a clause covering the (reasonably rare) engine/transaxle hesitation problem should it occur in your purchase.

And it might be worth contacting the previous owner for info.
  • Options
    turbodog3turbodog3 Member Posts: 8
    Isn't the engine/transaxle hesitation problem covered under the CPO program??
  • Options
    1) What is the engine/transaxle problem?
    2) Will dealers divulge the name of the previous owner?
  • Options
    If you look at the problems/solutions postings for this car, transmission hesitation is a common issue. To some was enough reason to get rid of the car, others find it tolerable. I don't know if it's against the law, but privacy concern will likely prevent dealer from giving you info on the previous owner.
  • Options
    Insofar as I know there is no known solution for the engine/transaxle hesitation if your vehicle happens to exhibit it. Many states will disclose previous owner information for a fee. You can almost always obtain it once you become the vehicle owner.
  • Options
    tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Aggresive driver usually tends to complain the most about transmission hesitation. Remember RX330 is not a sport car, and the best way to find out is to test drive the vehicle.

If you find the acceleration is unsatisfactory, please don't buy it. IMO, RX330 with the sport package is the best since it comes with a sportshift transmission. You simply tab lower gear to pass or speed up.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I took delivery of CPO 04 RX330 with Performance Package yesterday. It's more than sufficient getting on freeways, passing and changing lanes. Fairly quiet and so much emphasis on comfort. Aggressive drivers will likely find other SUVs better fit. But if comfort is what you're looking for, IMO this is the SUV. We only have one 4yo kid so this is just perfect for us. Can't wait to take it to a long haul!! BTW, it took me 8months to find this SUV with PP. Good news is that dealerships are having much more CPO RX330's on the lot. Good Luck!!