Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How to keep the engine as quiet as new

kentzzskentzzs Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Engine will become noiser after couple of years. Except damage and defect, what makes the noise? If the engine is defect free, is it possible to bring it back as quiet as it was new? What kind of tune-up can achieve it, valve adjustment, spark plug replacement, or timing adjustment?

Please share your experience. Thanks.

-Kent

Comments

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    and what kind of noise? We need details.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    kent means in general...exhaust shields begin to rattle or fall off entirely...the valvetrain gets noisier...pulleys begin to squeak...all the little things that add up to a noisier engine after the first 100K.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    as you go deafer, and the engine noise increases inevitably with age and wear, you won't hear any change.

even if you over-change the oil and fuss with it like it was a show car, if you drive it, it will wear.
  • Options
    rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    I used regular oil in my Camry V-6 for the first few years and the engine gradually became noisier as the years went by. Then, I changed to synthetic oil. After about a year of using synthetic, the engine became noticeably quieter. The engine is 8 years old now and not much noiser than a one-year old Toyota V-6 (I have one of those too).
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Funny...to each his own...I hate quiet engines--I like to hear it ticking over. Makes me feel I'm driving a machine, not a table or chair.
  • Options
    q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    Other than wear clearances in bearings and wrist pins, ring wear......many notice the fuel injectors getting louder and louder.

You gotta start from day one with quality oils changed often [every 90 days] and super bypass [external oil filters] to keep an engine quiet over 250,000 miles.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Sounds like a bypass filter salesman. In 250,000 miles that's 10-15 years of driving you won't care what it sounds like as long as it runs. And this can be done with regular good maintenance.
  • Options
    sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Sounds like a bypass filter salesman.

Well, I think q45man is a rather well respected contributor to these boards. I believe he is a Lexus and Infiniti mechanic.

In 250,000 miles that's 10-15 years of driving you won't care what it sounds like as long as it runs.

I used to drive an older car a few years ago. I sold it at 220K+ miles. And I very much cared how it sounded. (It sounded great!)

And this can be done with regular good maintenance.

You got this one right!
  • Options
    americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    argument.

I have a solution to keep the engine quiet. Don't worry about maintenace too much, but when your engine gets to about 100,000 miles and gets louder, just use some ZMax or a similar additive, that will restore the engine like new!
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Of the old Frantz filters that used a roll of toilet paper.

Haven't seen one of those in awhile!
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    it died soon after. curious coincidence, eh?
This discussion has been closed.