Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid vs Diesel

idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
edited March 2014 in Toyota
As far as I can see, ULSD and future hybrid offers will hit the US market at roughly the same time. Currently the market is limited for both (Prius, Civic and Insight are the only hybrids currently available, Diesels are mostly trucks territory due to emission laws).

So.

Both ways, the immediate advantage is increased mileages. Hybrid technology still has to prove itself on a large scale (we have to acknowledge for the fact that all three offers come from ultra-reliable Japanese manufacturers). Diesel technology, OTOH, is well proven. Hybrids lead when it comes to emissions, which are a problem for Diesels. Diesels undoubtedly lead on the fun to drive front.

I think it's clear by now that EU has made its choice: Diesel. The tax policy sure helps. Diesel went as far as to equip vehicles traditionally associated with pleasure (example: BMW 330Cd). Manufacturers are no longer afraid to boast about their oil burning engines. From the midsize sedan category and up, the majority of sales on this continent are now Diesels. The only available hybrid here is the Prius and its market share is confidential at best.

What choice will the US make?

Comments

• daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    Actually, a diesel-electric hybrid might be the most fuel stingy combination, but I wouldn't care for one. Low sulfur or no, diesel is a less "user friendly" fuel than gasoline and in the USA its price is similar to premium. Won't low-S diesel cost even more? And while the speed-torque characteristic of a typical electric motor is complimentary to that of a high output gasoline engine, it is less so for a diesel. And as for "fun to drive", I can't imagine using that phrase in the same sentence as "diesel". A slow turning, high torque, low power engine may be well suited to urban crawling with an automatic transmission and the A/C running, but that situation is anathema to fun.
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    "And as for "fun to drive", I can't imagine using that phrase in the same sentence as "diesel""

Well, it means that you haven't driven any modern Diesel :)

Also, consider the UK where Diesel fuel is actually more expensive than gasoline... This doesn't prevent Diesel sales from skyrocketing, even there.

The "hybrid" part is called for more than just an engine band-aid in the future anyway.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I think the biggest reason why we don't see more diesel-powered cars is the fact that American-market diesel fuel has too much sulfur compounds per million--which can damage the modern fuel-delivery and exhaust emission controls found on diesel cars sold in Europe.

Once the EPA mandates low-sulfur diesel fuel (no more than 80 parts per million), then we can apply modern common-rail delivery direct-injection systems and modern catalysts and particulate traps that will allow a diesel-powered car to meet the strict ULEV standard for exhaust emissions. And applying that to minivans, pickup trucks and SUV's could mean we raise the fuel mileage of these larger vehicles as much as 35-40%! :-)
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Gas-Guzzlers are extremely popular. The average US consumer simply isn't overly concerned about conserving fuel. Buying a diesel would deliver great MPG, but that engine is both noiser and dirtier. Diesel power & reliability is well proven and commonly available, yet large numbers aren't purchased for non-commercial use. There's no real draw. Something needs to be done for diesel to become a preferred choice.

Hybrids deliver something uncommon, an important marketing factor. Prius offers incredibly clean emissions, a remarkably smooth drive (that's dead quiet at times), and an interior that's completely unique... besides delivering great MPG.

JOHN http://john1701a.com
    that people buy horsepower and drive torque. So they should be very, very pleased about Diesels. MPG is not the only advantage. In gear accelerations of Diesel engines are on par with gas engines one and a half as big. As one publication puts it, "a modern turbodiesel 2.0l engine has the peak power of a 2.0l gas engine, the peak torque of a 3.0l on a larger rpm range and the fuel economy of a 1.4l".

"Dirty" and "Diesel" is now an oxymoron, kind of. Diesel fumes are the exception now. It's been a while since I've seen a Diesel passenger car stink from the back, and remember that I'm surrounded by them. Let alone a "smoking Diesel". These are close to nonexistent now, plain and simple. Even 36-tons trucks.

I was in fact looking into the future. It looks like the next hybrids will hit the market at the same time U(ltra)L(ow)S(ulfur)D(iesel) will be available too. Hence the topic. With Jeep (Liberty), Mercedes (E320 CDI), VW (90 and soon 130+hp TDI) starting to bring up to date Diesels as soon as this year or next year, I think it will be interesting to see what happens.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    I hear you. While you get to live it, I just read about it in magazines such as TopGear.

TB
    Would really like a diesel as my work car.
    but if it cannot be sustained to engine speeds where it constitutes significant power, its value to rapid motoring is limited. Such has been the case for all diesels which we have seen in the USA to date. Perhaps there are better diesels in other parts of the world, but today they are irrelevant to the US buyer.
    You should understand low rpm. But low rpm doesn't necessarily mean low speeds. As an example my 330d runs at a leisurely 1700 rpm at 55 mph. At 75mph the needle shows 2200 rpm. At 100 mph it is only a little above 3000 rpm... with power to spare. Its peak torque (288 lbft) is achieved from 1700 up to 3200 rpm. Fast? Yes, sir. The only thrill which you don't get is revving above 4.5k... I can do without it, thank you very much :) Especially when I compare what mileage I get vs what a 325i gets... And I don't even talk about the 330i. A different way to drive...
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    And as for "fun to drive", I can't imagine using that phrase in the same sentence as "diesel""

but if it cannot be sustained to engine speeds where it constitutes significant power, its value to rapid motoring is limited. Such has been the case for all diesels which we have seen in the USA to date

When is the last time you've driven a VW TDI?

Yes, the Golf, Jetta, and New Beetle TDI can do 120 mph...I guess that's not fast enough.

70-100 mph in 5th gear? Not too much trouble. It suprises some owners (friends) of more sporting cars (350Z, WRX, & G35c) how effortlessly it does this.

IMHO, the 2 things that kills the joy of driving are the laggy drive by wire system and the heavy dual-mass flywheel.

You you said might be true for the old diesels which has been permanently engraved in people's minds, but modern diesel is available in the US.

Due to its power-torque characteristcs and its tall gearing, you can't drive it like a gasser. The best performance really comes from short shifting.
    BMW has long produced the most civilized diesels that I've encountered, although I've not had the opportunity to drive one. A decade ago, I and my family were met at the Bordeaux airport by friends in a 3 series and I didn't realize that it was a diesel until I arrived in Angouleme and smelled the exhaust. The few comments that I've read about the 330d have been quite favorable but, if I could afford such a car I doubt that the cost of fuel would be a great concern. And as I said before, nothing diesel powered of that calibre has reached these shores.

As you said, it is a different way to drive but probably not one that I would find as satisfying as that which I currently prefer. The engines that I've found most exhilarating are those with thrust that continues to build to a high rpm limit. Such engines typically don't reach their stride until about 4k rpm, long after most diesels are ready for the next gear. But if and when a diesel with the performance of the 330d reaches the USA at the price of a Honda, perhaps I'll seek a test drive.
    Ive never driven the VW TDI, but with only 90 hp available in a 2900lb car, I probably won't. Rrecently a Golf TDI was unable to even match the acceleration of my 11 year old Mazda MPV, which is NOT quick, yet he was obviously trying.

An engine with lots of low rpm torque, but little power, gives the IMPRESSION of speed without the danger actually moving quickly.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    be a solution that interests many in the US. After all a VW TDI may get to 120 sooner or later but 0 to 60 is the standard most cars are judged by here. About the only car slower than a Hybrid to 60 mph is a TDI. Car and driver has them at close to 13 seconds and you could set a sundial to get their quarter mile speed. That is a joke by the way. We could embrace diesel here if they hadn't attached the big Cancer word to them. A copy of one of the statements of resolution from California is as follows.

"1. In California diesel particulate matter (PM) accounted for approximately 70 percent of all air toxics in 2000 and the average potential cancer risk associated with diesel PM is over 500 excess cases per million people;

This will make it a long road to hoe as they say. Good luck to them.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    First, the VW may only produce 90 hp, but it also has, I believe, 155 ft-lbs of torque. It is the torque that is important here. But, I think the hybrids will win out in the USA. They have an almost "sexy" appeal to them with all the glorification Hollywood has given them. I think consumers will find hybrids to be "futuristic" and the "cool" kind of car to own. Diesel brings connotations of big trucks and the loud mid-1980's Mercedes-Benz 300D. I know the new low sulfur diesel will be different, but perceptions take decades to change. Even though Consumer Reports tagged the Sonata and Santa Fe as "Recommended" and the Elantra has the edmunds.com "Editors Most Wanted" designation, many people still equate Hyundai with the late 1980's Excel. I think diesel engines will be the same way. Besides, it's apparent that companies like GM are jumping into hybrid technology with both feet. The Malibu, Silverado and VUE are all GM products that either are or will be sold with hybrid engines. I believe Toyota will have a hybrid Highlander and Ford will have a hybrid Escape. It looks like hybrid will be the way to go in this country for a while.
    Look at it this way: sure, GM, Ford have hybrids in the works. But all of the big three already have modern Diesel technology a snap of the fingers away:

* GM owns Isuzu, which is the first Diesel engine manufacturers volume wise, before Peugeot; moreover it collaborates with Fiat for yet more engines;
    * Ford has developed Diesel engines for the EU market, and is cooperating with Peugeot for more;
    * Chrysler is now owned by Daimler and therefore has all of Mercedes' Diesel engines at its disposal.

So, if hybrids fail, they can switch easily... And the same is true for Honda, Toyota and Nissan as well.
    Its not a matter of diesel OR hybrid, even greater fuel economy could be achieved with a diesel-electric hybrid (for those who could tolerate a diesel :) ). If there were a suffient market, manufacturers could offer hybrids with either type of IC engine with appropriate changes to electric drive characteristics.

The 90hp VW TDI might actually achieve adequate performance if it were augmented by electric drive (provided that the increase in mass could be minimized).
    The 90 bhp TDI already has more than adequate performance...you don't realize it because, as you said, you haven't driven one.

Driving the TDI...compared to my last car...Camry V6, it just about equals its in gear passing acceleration times.

0-60 & 1/4 mile times are two common references that gives us an idea of performance. Though it doesn't give the whole story.

Since that is one metric we're looking at, how about another one? How about Handling tests. How about Braking?

I'll be very suprised if you're going to tell me that the Insight and Prius both offer superior handling to a Golf TDI, Jetta TDI, and New Beetle TDI.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2102a.shtml

For CARB, it was discussed in other threads....the head guru at CARB is now starting to embrace modern diesels

For proof: see The Future of Diesel in Sporty Cars -- any chance? thread in the Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Cars section, message #307

Here's another wildcard....alternative fuels.
    Apparently we have different definitions of "adequacy" and no, I've not driven a VW TDI. But diesels and VW have not repealed the laws of physics and 62hp/ton does not a rapid car make. In any discussion of the RATE at which work is performed, power is the relevant parameter. Yes, abundant low rpm torque is nice, it provides good "driveability", particularly when crawling along in urban traffic and the strong initial "kick in the pants" even provides a sensation akin to that of rapid acceleration. For those who can be satisfied by what seems to be rather than what is, perhaps that is adequate.

You and others have also referred to "in gear" acceleration as important to you. although I'm not certain what this means, I'll assume it refers to acceleration without shifting to a more appropriate gear. For my part, it is unimportant how a car accelerates in a particular gear so long as there is an appropriate ratio available for the conditions of the moment (if shifting were an obstacle, I'd drive an automatic).

It CAN be said that teh VW's acceleration is better than other cars of comparable fuel economy except perhaps the Honda Insight (depending upon whose test numbers you compare).
    How about this.....Prius is CVT only. Civc/Insight...CVT or ridiculously tall gearing for the manual transmission.

How many people actually do 0-60 WOT sprints in their daily routine? Maybe you do...but the customers who buy Hybrids or diesels tend to be light on the throttle to maximize their fuel efficiency.

If you're looking to miminize your 0-60 times...you're looking at the wrong segment of the market. The customers in this market are not as concerned with 0-60 acceleration times, they are more concerned with fuel efficiency.

Have you driven a hybrid? Me, yes. Overall would you consider it to be more fun to drive than a VW TDI?
    "But diesels and VW have not repealed the laws of physics and 62hp/ton does not a rapid car make"

Well, go drive a TDI... See for yourself... And you'll learn that torque matters more than power! It's as simple as that. Power dictates the speed you can reach, torque dictates *how fast* you can reach it... 90hp can lead you at a fast enough speed, and 155 lbft help you get there with ease...
    is an adequate measure of a car, but there is a minimum for each parameter for me to consider it. As I suggested, the acceptable range may change over time as that of the vehicle population changes since that is the reference. The hybrids are lacking not only in acceleration but handling and braking as well.

When a Hybrid/diesel/AFV or whatever provides competitive performance at a competitive value, I'll consider it.
    I've always despised 0-60 because to me it tells really nothing much about the actual acceleration of the engine but the time that said guy and/or transmission took to shift (and overcome the friction in the case of auto trannies). The kilometer from a standstill suffers the same problem. And with Diesels you have to shift more often... Too bad :) As a matter of fact, I've seen anything from 7.3s to 7.8s on the O-62 test with the 330d in different reviews.

I've always looked at the top speed for a single reason: the engine speed at which it is attained. Only one magazine out of the four I read provides this information , the others do from time to time. It tells me whether the gearbox is adequately "geared".

But I always look carefully at in gear acceleration times (mostly 60 to 100 kph, 80 to 120 kph) because that's what real day driving is really about... The only moment when anyone is bound to use full thrust is when passing. And the faster you pass the better. Having tested both the 325i (192hp) and the 330d (183hp), I can witness that the latter is much more at east when passing, downshifting or no :)
    choose between a Hybrid and a diesel I believe I would choose a diesel. I would have to be forced into in mind you because they are rather slow off the line and even with the newer fuel they do smell. Now if hybrids can offer something better than they now do that could change. I know some people in other countries have a different outlook but we tend to look at diesels a bit differently that others. Other than the VW and big trucks we don't have a big choice of diesels in my state. The VW TDI seems to handle about as well as a gas powered one and so would seem like it would be easier to transition from what we already have. However going back to 0-60 times of old VW busses seems like a step back but if we had to get used to it we would I guess.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    if we get to the point where many trucks both commercial and private have diesel-electric hybrid power plants after all railroad locomotives have been using diesel-electric hybrids for sixty years. 40mpg SUVs anyone?

As for going fast Honda's upcoming ('05-'06?) Acura DNX hybrid will boast 400hp! Don't forget that electric motors deliver max torque when power is first applied. 40mpg sportscars anyone?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Actually, you have it backwards and a brief review of rudimentary physics is in order.

Power is work per unit TIME. Acceleration is the first derivative of velocity, i.e. the RATE OF CHANGE of velocity with respect to TIME. Torque is rotational force and is time independent unless the RATE of rotation is accounted for, in which case it represents POWER. The relationship is P=rpm*T/k (k=constant). At a low rate of rotation, torque must be large to generate substantial power. If one is concerned for the magnitude of work that can be performed, torque is the relevant measure, but if the concern is the RATE at which work is performed, power is all important.

In a real world engine the torque-speed characteristic is seldom linear therefore peak power does not adequately define an engines capability, but it does suggest rough limits. The integral of power over the useful rpm range is more difinitive, consequently SOME diesels may perform better than their peak power alone would suggest as compared to an Otto cycle engine of similar peak power, but not miraculously so, and they are often limited by a relatively narrow useful rpm range.
    >> the customers who buy Hybrids or diesels tend to be
    >> light on the throttle to maximize their fuel efficiency.

That's not true for Prius owners!

By watching the Multi-Display, they eventually discover that BRISK acceleration is more efficient with that particular design. Being light on the throttle actually lowers the MPG, unless you are driving in "stealth" mode (up to 42 MPH using only electricity without the engine running).

So when the light turns green, my Prius is typically several car-lengths ahead of everyone else.

I know my physics, thank you very much... And in your explanation you overlook the fact that if the force is sufficient, the rate doesn't need to be as high. Hence my assessment.
    with the "Prius is not subject to the laws of physics" response. (re John)
    You overlook the fact that the Prius has an electrical engine to start up. I don't remember the torque exactly but the beauty of electric engines is max torque from 0 to "redline"... But as I noticed in another post, it is severely detuned. Too bad. Bah, that's enough for getting started so the rest is litterature, isn't it :)
    >>Power dictates the speed you can reach, torque
    >>dictates *how fast* you can reach it

If a physics refresher was unnecessary, then that statement must have been a typo.
    Not at all... Torque equals acceleration... so where's the typo?
    Torque is irrelevant to acceleration unless the rotational speed at which it occurs is taken into account, in which case you are considering POWER, not torque.
    "Torque is irrelevant to acceleration unless the rotational speed at which it occurs is taken into account, in which case you are considering POWER, not torque"

And POWER at a given rotational speed equals to... torque multiplied by rotational speed. Clear, now? And this is why PEAK power is so irrelevant to my eyes.
    clean up diesel I would have no problem switching over if and when it became necessary. The longevity of diesels has always impressed me. What has held me back for so many years is performance in the form of acceleration to 60 and cost. Right now diesel is no less expensive that gas and it isn't even the more highly refined diesel.
    Are the hybrids capable of using E85? Do they require modifications?
    It has been clear to me. By definition, the power available will never be more than peak, no matter the rpm, no matter the torque. The Prius develops 248 lb-ft with its electric drive alone, but only to 400rpm - lots o' torque, darn little power. Great for pulling stumps, but its still slow!
    THe current buyers of Hybrids and diesels understand that their 0-60 and 1/4 mile sprints will be slow and accept that fact. It is a trade-off that we are willing to accept.

If you want sub 10 seconds 0-60 sprints, get a Toyota Echo or Civic HX.

or for us TDI folks, chip/tuning box it and add larger injector nozzles.
    One can buy an Echo, conventional Civic or other cars and enjoy better performance while saving thousands of dollars to boot. Of course its a "trade off", but what does the buyer receive in the deal? Until our fuel prices approach European levels, he won't save any money with a hybrid. The economic odds are a bit better with the Golf TDI, for those who will accept the requisite trade-offs.
    As you already acknowledged...0-60 and 1/4 mile isn't the only performance metric.

Hybrid owners get a $2000 tax incentive

Diesel owners...many of us are trying to get Biodiesel and many of us run Biodiesel...a DOE approved Alternative Fuel.
    The ONLY area of performance in which the present hybrids excell is fuel economy. Since the savings in fuel economy during ones ownership period cannot recover the premium in purchase cost (at USA fuel prices), what's the point? The tax deduction (not a credit) may help, but it is not sufficient, and all the while the hybrid owner must suffer diminished dynamic performance.

I know little of the bio-diesel market. Is it less expensive than petro-diesel? How does its energy content compare? Are there special maintenance considerations?
    Run a search for biodiesel...(look in the sports cars section).

Right now it is more expensive as soy oil prices currently dictate it. There's also the ability to use WVO or Waste Vegetable Oil, used restuarant oil.

try http://www.biodiesel.org

Aside from price, the other drawback is increased NOx emissions.

It reduces emissions across the board, except NOx.

It has a 3.2:1 energy conversion, basically it produces more 3x more energy than the amount of energy it requires to make the fuel. Ethanol is less than 1:1, thus as actual performance shows, decreased fuel economy.

FOr modern diesels, the Biodiesel will clean the fuel system, so initially you'll change the fuel filter sooner.

For older diesels, you may need to change some rubber seals.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Power= (T*R)/K
    Horsepower=(Torque * RPM)/5252

You respond that power is power, etc. I respond that I don't give a quack about 0-60 times. I don't drive my cars at high rpm's, drop the clutch and squeel the tires, trying to achieve some 0-60 to impress the teenybopper girl in the passenger seat.

I keep my engines in the 2000-2500 rpm range, almost never do I go anymore. I don't rev much. I am easy on the throttle (low vacuum = less stress on all components and leaner mixtures so the gas don't wash the oil of the cyl walls). I try never to lug the engine, which is horrible on the lower end.

Low torque gasser engines achieve high theoretical hp by rating the engines at 5000rpm or more. I could care less. That's not my style of driving. That's not the style of driving of anyone whom I know except the kid down the street with the primered astro van and the thump thump speakers.

In the rpm band I like to drive, a high torque engine is preferable. The gassers probably haven't even caught up with the power of the TDI in that rpm band.

High torque diesels fit my style of driving very well. I don't care about how much power is generated above 3000 rpm.
    for diesel and hybrid owners in these forums is that just to come here most people are enthusiasts to some degree. 0-60, cornering, slalom, and track times are what we tend to measure most everything to. When we compare vehicles we can line them up and look at them side by side and see what looks better on paper. Price of a diesel is a bit higher to start with in most cases and in very few places does it our perform cars it competes with at anything close to the same price. Hybrids right now are at an even greater disadvantage from an enthusiasts point of view. The are about as slow to 60 as a diesel and they don't tend to corner or handle as well as either a diesel or gas vehicle in their own class. Many of us might take a look at diesel or even a hybrid but they have a pretty big performance hurdle to over come. The general buying public seems to pass on both of them because they require a sacrifice and cost more. Until they can deliver to the same or better level as gas powered cars already do they will always be vehicles for the few. I doubt that we will be seeing car movies made about either diesels or hybrids in the very near future. After all who will pay to see something about the slow and the steady? The last and the frustrating? However it might be interesting to see a TDI lowered, big wing on the back, diesels already have a bigger than average tail pipe. And of course they won't run NOS but propane injection for diesels. You won't win any money but at least they will know you are trying.
    You know, bo, I consider myself a driving enthusiast. I really, really like to drive. It is one of the most relaxing things to do.

I like cars that handle tightly. I like cars that get great mpg and have decent acceleration. I like repairing my own cars. I've rebuilt a couple of engines in my day. I like making my cars last a long time. I like having cars with lotsa utility. You know, from another board, I really like shifting my own gears.

I think I am an enthusiast, just not a full throttle guy anymore. I disagree with the point that I am not an enthusiast. I think I'm at least the enthusiast as the dude with the aluminum-winged automatic neon who's knowledge of cars and driving includes: (1) put VTEC stickers on the car; (2) pay someone to put a coffee can exhaust (which detroys what little torque he had); and (3) mash the right pedal when the light turns green.
    >> Hybrids right now

The next generation of Prius is expected in just 6 months.

you weren't an enthusiast. I said most enthusiasts measure by 0-60 and all the other things in car magazines. Look at what we tend to read, watch on TV or even flock to at car shows. If we are a minority then diesel and hybrid owners must be microscopic. You may be a free spirit and secure enough to buy a SUV but do you think the diesel or hybrid driver is represented in these forums or the general public as a driving force? Like I said I have no problem with a diesel except for the performance compared to the class or vehicle it competes with, and the increased price of diesel vehicles. Hybrids right now are another story all together. They tend to be slow, corner rather moderately, stop rather poorly compared to their size. Everything we read indicates they are slow by the standards we think of in normal comparisons of vehicles. There were enthusiasts of a sort that supported Geo Metros as well. But being a minority in a group of minorities didn't help keep Metros on the road. Doing more with less only goes so far before it become a chore and once it becomes a chore it is hard to keep interested. While there are several "kids" out there with slammed Civics that the only major performance additions are stickers is true. Even those kids have quicker cars than those we can get today from the hybrid people. That may change. Diesels still have a ways to go before we see them at Daytona, the winter nationals, Solo II or anything else we might watch on a Sunday after noon. I would never infer you weren't an enthusiast because you talked about a diesel or hybrid. I was saying they aren't the common car "most" enthusiasts look at or read about because they don't meet the standards of the vehicles we read about. I was pointing out that there was a reason they are hard to relate to.
    Your driving style is conservative in the extreme and well suited to a diesel. For engines that I find desirable, operation in the 2000-2500rpm range WOULD constitute "lugging". You say that you like cars with "decent acceleration" but are not a "full throttle guy" which suggests that you must buy cars with much larger engines than necessary for your expected level of performance.

For my part, I don't avoid using any part of my cars capability (top speed and collision mitigation features excepted) otherwise I would consider myself foolish to buy it. In my daily driver I routinely shift in the 3500-4500 range in liesurely driving but excursions to 6500 are not uncommon under full throttle acceleration. I avoid cosmetic accoutrements of any sort but the right pedal gets at least as much exercise as required to maintain position in traffic.

I suppose your style explains why there are diesels, and why I avoid them.
    >Your driving style is conservative in the extreme and well suited to a diesel....

I don't know. I think there are plenty of people who drive like me. Rather gently from stoplight to stoplight. I don't see many people winding their cars out (especially since most drive autos that wouldn't let them wind them out).

>You say that you like cars with "decent acceleration" but are not a "full throttle guy" which suggests that you must buy cars with much larger engines than necessary for your expected level of performance.

Large engines, not really. I usually drive a 4 cyl, with a stray v6 or two being the exception.

I've driven the TDI Jetta and it had good acceleration, as guaged by my seat of the pants. I didn't wind it out, although I know that diesels don't wind well anyway, and wouldn't have whether it was a diesel or a gasser.

It was just a few years ago that nothing except a Mustang or Camaro had more than 150 hp. Now everyone thinks that compact cars are underpowered if they don't have 200-250 hp.
    and the level required is determined by the vehicle population in which one must operate. In the '70s when 2 ton cars plodded along with 150hp or less, my 96hp Datsun 510 was quite adequate (and my 2002tii was a rocket). In that realm, the Golf TDI and even the present hybrids would have been more than adequate.

Today, as you note, the bar has been raised and the average level of performance is considerably higher. Unless one is fortunate enough to only drive where traffic density is so low as to be irrelevant, that average is the measure of of a current vehicle.
    >> the level required is determined by the vehicle
    >> population in which one must operate.

If every vehicle on the road could accelerate to 60 MPH in less than 8 seconds (ignoring the fact that a loaded truck couldn't), the traffic speed on the highways wouldn't be any faster. The flow is already maximized (above the legal limit). Having the ability to accelerate faster really doesn't accomplish anything.

Plus, there are the laws of nature that will insure cruising speeds won't increase. Snow, Ice, Rain, Fog, and how far your lights illuminate at night requires slower speeds regardless of how quickly a vehicle can accelerate.

We have reached (or are very close to) the point of diminishing returns after over 40 years of continuous improvement, where more powerful vehicles don't provide any benefit (other than marketing appeal). It's pretty obvious too. How many times do you get stuck behind a slow merging vehicle that could easily accelerate faster, but the driver simply doesn't push down more on the pedal? I see it all the time when driving my Prius. Even though their vehicle is capable of more, they don't use that power already available.

This discussion has been closed.