Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Truck Styling

krunkykrunky Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have always thought that Chevy Trucks had a strong, clean look. They were even gaining ground on the Ford trucks.
Lately they have been going down hill:

Avalanche- the "mean" look of the front end was cool, but it barely made up for the ugly cladding. Too bad they changed the front end on the refresh. Now it just looks like a busted pick-up truck with no identity of its own.

Silverado- the new front end and taillights looks like cheap aftermarket add ons. The "mean" look taken from the Avalanche is real gimmicky and a lame idea to base an entire line of trucks on.

S-10/ Colorado- unfortunately suffers from the same front end, but also includes horrible looking character lines along the side. (A similar idea was done very nicely on the Toyota Tacoma). Too many sharp lines that would look okay on a slammed "Xtreme" street version, but are too weak for strong truck styling.

Trailblazer- fortunately, the lines on the front end were softened a little, but they spent too much time on that, and couldn't help the rest of the truck. Personally, I prefer the GMC Envoy version with its subtle flares above the wheels.

The biggest disappointment has to be the SS Silverado. This truck should be the hottest thing around, instead, it is a 4door turd. It has a ton of cladding on it, but it is hard to tell because it is so boring. It just makes it look a little chunky. The only eye catching thing in it is the set of fake brake ducts on the front end. They do symbolize the truck though, no go and a real boring show.

I guess we can look forward to ugly Tahoes and Suburban's in the future. Oh well, the new Toyota Tundra looks pretty good.

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    better alternative than anything Chevy has to offer cept the vette. How any company could exhibit such a bad taste in vehicles are beyond me....and the new Toyota Tundra stepside...EWWWWWWWW!!!! Those taillights look like they were made in hell...
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    the colorados up close are pretty neat.

Got to see a few at the chicago autoshow. My only complaint is it is underpowered

If you wanna talk about radical styling look at the cheyenne concept (it is a very cool truck)

all their designs. I mean there's ugly and there's ugly....then there's GM trucks...good grief.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    gm needs to get on these message boards and take some notes.

I am starting to believe their designers are on crack
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    My 2001 Silverado 1500 XC SB LT was a pretty truck.

My 2003 Silverado 2500HD XC XB LT is flat out ugly. Front end is trashy looking, and rear tail lights cheap looking. Plus they shortened the side moldings to just the doors, and don't extend back to the wheel well. As long as I'm bitching, how come they made the outside mirrors with that textured black plastic instead of chrome like my 2001.

Also as long as I'm bitching, how come pickups can't get the color-matched door handles like on Burbs and Tahoes? That textured black plastic catches white wax residue and looks like [non-permissible content removed].

Hans
    --
      2003 Silverado 2500HD LT DMax/Allison
      2002 Cougar 5th-wheel RV
      1997 Smoker ProMag 161 walleye boat
    other than that all three manufacturers make butt ugly trucks.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    I agree with you there. I am hoping the 04 Ford will kick some serious butt!

I don't know what GM is thinking. Take a good truck, make it ugly, sell it for more than Ford or Dodge, and have tons of problems that carry over from year to year.

At least they are consistent with that. LOL
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    That is what the new Silverado's are. I bought new trucks in 99 and 00. If I were to buy one today, it would be either a GMC or a Dodge. The front of the new trucks is so ugly, I wouldn't be seen driving one. The worst part is the new front end clashes with the rest of the truck.

I wouldn't have thought such a little change to the front end could screw up the looks so much.

Mike L
  • krunkykrunky Member Posts: 21
    It is kind of funny to think of the trouble and expense that GM must have gone through to change the front end on the Silverado, only to make it so much worse.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    The Cheyenne gets my vote. I would buy one.
  • blackavblackav Member Posts: 5
    Although the Chevy Avalanche/Cadillac Escalade EXT are touted as trucks, are they really trucks?Since it's on the Suburban frame, it rides more car-like, but it's considered a truck, albeit a hybrid, because of the open rear cargo area. I bought an 03 Avalanche and am still trying to decide. But overall, I do like it. I was going to buy the 1500 Silverado LT, and ended up with the Avalanche because I wanted the rear seating area. It handles very well and I have used it on a few occasions to haul things. Just not sure how the bed will hold up with all the plastic for the water management system. So far, I've had very little water get in the bed area. The 5.3L engine with 3:73 gears gives it spunk, but Chevy should offer the 6.0L in addition to the 8.1L. I bought it to tow a car/trailer and haven't towed with it yet. Everyone has opinions relative to whether something is nice looking or ugly. Comes down to one simple thing. If He/she who bought the vehicle likes it, doesn't really matter what a passerby thinks.
This discussion has been closed.