Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can't decide between 1/2 or 3/4 Chevy??

mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I've never owned anything but 1/2 tons..and never
even thought of 3/4's....until now.
It all started with the new 6.0 only in a 3/4 ton.
A friend had worked on that engine for 3
years..and told me if he could only say one thing
about the new Chevy's he'd say "Buy a 6 Litre".

When I got serious about buying one...the local
dealer had several 3/4's and 1/2's in stock..(wish
that was true now!)

I took a 3/4 LS Ext.Cab SB with the Firm Ride
package and 4:10's for a spin...a slight push on
the gas pulling onto the main road lit the tires no
problem..I didn't mean to do it..But I'm still
smiling ever since.
The feel of the road was incredible..every slight
change was felt...In a good way though...not like
you were being bounced with the road...I never had
a feeling of such control!! I headed to the highway
and was put into a trance as the result of the
smoothness of this Truck...and the Power of The
6.0/4:10's at Higher RPM was amazing...for the
little I got on it...(Don't wanna ruin someones new
Truck)

I turned down a dirt road that lead back to the
dealer..here is where I thought I knew what was to
happen. The road crossed some RR tracks..and before
and after the RR tracks..the road was a severe
Washboard effect..I was so sure this was going to
be one all over the place ride with such a stiff
truck...WRONG!!..it was a dream..I said hell..the
1/2 ton must be even a better ride!!

Went back..grabbed the keys for a 1/2 ton LT 5.3
3:73 Z-71 Ext.Cab SB..took the same route...granted
it was better than my 88 1/2 ton.....but all those
bumps in the road that you felt you had control
of..seemed much deeper..like the truck was too
wishy washy...Not real bad...just wasn't what I
thought...maybe the Z-71 played a roll
here??..don't think so..you'd think the stiffer
would be more of the 3/4 type ride??....When I
reached the dirt road...it was all over the place
and hopping left and right...granted i was going
fast..but same speed as the 3/4..

Went back..and from that point on..3/4 is the only
way to go...it just plain rides better..More
weight absorbs the road and distributes it
better..Kinda like a 100lb. guy and a 300lb. guy
getting punched in the body...who is gonna take it
smoother??
.even if you don't do hauling...take a serious
look and drive if you are undecided which way to
go. I realize MPG is a big factor here for some
people...But try the two..you just might be a
changed person as I was. I suppose if you never
tried a 3/4...the new 1/2 ton will amaze you as
well..compared to an older model.
An all Cast Iron engine without Aluminum heads
will benefit in the long run as well...once 100K
hits..those heads will be a problem....I'm not a
real fan of todays idea of more power each year
with smaller engines...But they got more HP..they
GOTTA be better!!..(so some Suit says)

...Now if I could just get MY 3/4!...Supposed to
be built in 4 weeks...we shall see....

Once you've had 3/4....You'll never go back....

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Nice Ride.

I may do some of that stuff...if I don't lease.
    Never leased yet...figured I might try it once..especially with all the mumbo jumbo that seems to be going on with these things. Give 'em a few years to perfect them...and come out with what I really want - a 3/4 Ton 6 Litre Sportside LT!

Hopefully 5 more weeks until I be styling.

Just that damn break in period that's gonna kill me!...I go 80 on the highway

What RPM's you pulling at 70,75,80?
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Will double check RPMs tommorow I will post it by 12:00 pm est
    Cool

Look forward to reading them.

Tim
    Gonna have to adjust the RPM's for the stock 245's

As much as I hate those things...I sure ain't gonna stick new ones on a lease..if I go that route....
    They are already going to kill me enough

They have awesome lease deals on Silverados'....You give them a Ton of Money..They give you a Silverado!

$379 for a loaded Tahoe...$560 for a Silverado

Only from GM!
    ..Still the Best damn cars avavilable
    You mean adjust the chip?
    That's a cool Idea.

245's to 285's are more than a half inch though..

You are losing me here

The Miller effect hasn't worn off yet from last night.
    the hyper tech programmer III allows you to adjust for taller tires in 1/4 inch increments
    the 285/70s on paper are much taller then the 245/75s but I measured and they were 1/2 inch taller about. the 245s are 30.5 inch and 285/70 are 31.5 about for more info on tire sizes and comparisons on diameter www.tirerack.com
    www.tirerack.com
    click on Tire Tech then to Light truck tire diameter and comparisons
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    What a joke
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Don't know if this will help you decide, but I put 600 miles on one tank of fuel in my 1/2 ton 4x4 5.3L 4.10 axle. Won't happen in the 6.0L.

Also lights the tires if you put your foot into it. It has a lower first gear than the 3/4 ton.
    4x4 Long box. My 1/2 ton is about as tall as the 3/4 ton because of the P265 Wilderness A/T's. But with equal tires, the 3/4 ton is taller.

I'm sure at lower elevations, my 1/2 ton will light the tires at part throttle. As it is, I live at 5,300 ft elevation, so everything up here is down on power.
    Well that sux!

All the New Vortecs Kick [non-permissible content removed]!

About 3 more weeks until my 3/4 is built...can't wait!!

Is their anything you can change/add to get that lost power back?

Where you live?
    How fast you drive City/Highway??
    How fast you start and stop?

I'm figuring about 10/12 MPG...maybe a little more

I Drive like Hell on wheels though....
    Denver. Sure, nitrous bottles, for a temporary boost. Turbos work the best at high altitude. But it isn't a big deal, high altitude power loss affects everyone. Not important to me anyway. I have a fast car, and a fast motorcycle, and girls love me.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Well said
    Here in the Motor City that's not an issue.

Tim
  • ftpftp Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know what the physical differences are between the 1/2 & 3/4 Ton? I know you can get the 6.0 and the heavier towing package, but I won't be going that route (I drive 90 miles/day on the interstate and gas mileage is a major factor). I read some literature that showed the brakes are bigger. What else is "beefed up"? With the options I am looking for, there is only a $700 difference between the 1/2 & 3/4 Ton. It seems like cheap insurance to take care of "unexpected" future needs. I presently use a truck just for home projects. A 20' boat is coming soon and who knows what will happen in 5-6 years. I keep my trucks till they fall apart so I plan on having my future Chevy forever. I have had my V6 Ranger for 14 years and 225,000 miles, still going strong, but it ain't enough truck for my growing needs.
    Any insight would be appreciated, I want to know if the $700 is worth it. BTW, I am looking at the extended cab, short bed, LS trim, 2wd, 5.3L, fleetside.
    Also, anyone know what the new colors are for the Y2K model?
    No new colors for 2000
    Can get a stepside in LT..but not 3/4
    4th door In Dec.

Everything is beefier...
    Trans,Brakes,exhaust,axles,heads(in 6.0),frame,etc..

3/4's Just plain Ride better!!

Only way you can get a 5.3 in the 2500 is 2WD...although I'd seriously recommend the 6.0.
    I know the engine crew that worked on the engine for 3 years...They told me if they can only say one thing about the new chevy's...get a 6.0!

If you are going to keep it that long...by all means get the 3/4...like you said..only 700 more.

If you can live with 3 MPG difference...get the 6.0 as well.....you have a better chance of the engine lasting as long as the truck itself.
    If MPG is a concern...get the 3:73 rear end or a 3:42..(if they have it..I haven't looked into that route)

By all means the extra bit is worth it in the long run

I have a 2000 3/4 LT 4:10's Ext.Cab SB to be delivered in about 3 weeks or so....the ones I drove road like a Dream...couldn't imagine all the control without all the power of the 6.0.

I drive about 55 miles to work..so understand the MPG factor you have concern with.

If you can make it work...go with the 6.0!

Good Luck

Keep us Posted

Tim
    3:42's require the Diesel
    3:73's require the 6.0

It looks like 4:10's only in the 2WD 2500 5.3 version!
    And I think a 2WD will be the 7200 GVW...which is not the HD 8600 GVW.....does it have all the same beefier stuff???.just a weaker suspension??...I have no Idea.

Ask your dealer

Good Luck

Tim
    Tim,
    Thanks for all your input. My plan is to order sometime in the next month or two. I'll let you know what I end up with. Thanks for the 6.0 input. I'll keep it open as an option for now. I am getting close to maxing out on my GM Card Rebate dollars so I can't take too long to decide. I should have over $7000 by November. Can't wait to use them up, been waiting 7 years. It will definitely be worth it when I drive away in my new Silverado. Now if I can find a dealership that is willing to go close to invoice...could turn out to be a really sweet deal. I just gotta decide what to buy. The wife wants me to get a sportside, which would put me into the 1500. Most of all she wants me to be excited about whatever I end up...she knows her turn for a new vehicle is coming soon.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions...
    Tune in later.

Frank
    Frank,

If you have a way to get $7000 off...by all means go for the 6.0! Even the best GM discount only got me $1500 under invoice. If you can get close to Invoice and then throw 7K at them...who cares about a few extra MPG?? We Only live once!

I have had a stepside for 9 years and very much so wanted one also. (the new ones are bad [non-permissible content removed])They have Stepside LT's now this year...but still no 3/4's.
    Read my first post in this section...Go drive a 3/4 with a 6.0...(and Firm Ride)..you will not care about a stepside in about 30 seconds!!

I repeat...GO DRIVE A 3/4!!

Where you live Frank??....No dealer around here has had a 3/4 in stock for months! If somebody does have one..it's Full MSRP or more!

Good Luck

Tim
    I Live in Lakeland, Florida. Not sure what the availability is. The local dealer had one 4x4 Regular Cab last weekend.

There is a high volume dealer about 20 miles away, not sure what their stock is. Last year the high volume dealer was willing to do $500 over invoice on a '99 2wd 1500. I'm not sure if the same deal would be available on the 2500. Hope I don't have to go the full MSRP route.

The 7k discount is essentially a GM rebate, it doesn't impact the local dealer. It's a credit card program GM started almost 7 years ago. Every time my wife goes on a shopping spree with the credit card, I get 5% added to my "GM Rebate". There are max/year amounts that can be earned (2 years ago they cut that back from $1k/year to $500/year) and there use to be companies like Mobil and Continental that would kick in an extra 5% if you were purchasing from them...not any more though. Anyway, I had a lot of business trips that helped me out with my rebate earnings. I flew Continental airlines alot when they were kicking in the extra 5%...and I got reimbursed for the tickets since it was business related.

I'll check on availability and test drive a 2500 and get back to you.
    Have owned everything from compact [non-permissible content removed] pickups to F350 Diesel Crew Cab 1tons.

I'm not sure you need anything more than a good 1/2 ton. If you go Chevy and need an extended cab, I would wait for the 4door version if I could.

My new 4.8 silverado tows my 5,000 lb trailer fine at 10,000 ft elevation. Engine pulls better than the old diesel crew cab. The Crew Cab was a more stable towing platform though.

The heavier suspension and drive train of a 3/4 or 1 ton don't necessarily add to long life, but allow you to carry heavy loads. Not sure you need to carry heavy loads. There is probably a 1,200 lb difference between the Chevy 1/2 and 3/4 ton.
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    You said that you knew the people that worked on the Vortec 6000 engine crew. What all did they tell you about the motor that we don't already know? Any interesting info?
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    ftp

that extra weight hurts in the mileage department. but i have driven a 3/4 ex cab longbed, and was very impressed with the stability of the truck, handling, and smooth ride of a 3/4 ton. it was a very good looking truck, and that 6.0 gives you a lot of power under the foot. definitely more torque and lots more hp than the old 350. Very nice package. I don't think the 5.3 in the 3/4 ton will help mileage very much. the 6.0 will probably avg about 12 mpg, the 5.3 avergae about 14.

If mileage is really a big concern, the 5.3 in a half ton will suit you well. i have a friend getting 19 highway, 15 city, avg. driving about 17 in his 5.3 with 3.42 rear end.
    I know how the GM card works....didn't know about the exta 5% though

I was going to say if you lived here in Michigan I'd let you take mine for a spin to get a feel...but Florida ain't exactly close to Michigan!

Drive a 3/4 ton!!

The 1200 Lb difference MarkBuck mentioned makes it a lot smoother....more weight absorbs the road better and gives it a better stance.

Don't buy one if you don't want to.....but I was a changed man after I drove it!

Good Luck

Tim
    Living here in the Metro Area...I know tons of people in every aspect of the Auto Industry.

My buddies friend works for GM and tests new engines. Long before anyone heard about the 6.0 and the Silverado...we heard stories about this engine. He tells us about engines that they bring in...they blow them up...and they never see them again. He said the 6.0 was truely remarkable. They would run these things at Wide open Throttle for Hours and hours on end...shut them down and freeze them to like 60 below....for days...then fire it back up while frozen...and straight from being frozen - Run it WOT again for hours and hours! Other tests were similar except they would scorch the hell out of it.
    Of all the engines that came and went..he said the 6.0 was one hell of an engine. As I've said "The only thing I can tell you about the new Silverado is Buy a 6.0"...is what he says all the time.
    They had it for 3 years of testing.
    Not sure if the Freeze test was just the 6.0 or all engines??.....It depends on where we are in the MGD that night as to what I can remember what he tells me.

I skipped a Stepside to go for the 3/4...just for the 6.0 originally.....and it turns out the 3/4 was what I really wanted in a Truck!

Now if the damn thing would just get here!!

Tim
    All my gear head life people always have called an engine a Motor...

Engines run off Gas
    Motors Run off Electricity

I know what you mean.....But sometimes it gets under my skin..hehehehehe

Tim
    I remember something about running WOT and dropping dirt/sand into the engine from the Throttle body...just to see how long it would take to seize up or what it would do..

Can't remember if that was the 6.0 or not

he would tell us a horrible torture story...and just when you think it couldn't get any worse..he would bring out another torture that was even worse than that!

The crap they test is amazing

Tim
    Next time I hear Earnhart say "I blew that motor 'round turn 3" I'll give em a call and let him know you don't approve of his diction.....
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i've read in a couple of mags that the new GMs werre the most tested engine ever brought to market. I didn't realize it was to that extent.
    Their Job is basically to kill or try to kill engines all day! What a Job!

....and for the Motor thing....I'm just stating what the facts are here. Don't really care what you call it. Tell Dale he's wrong.

Tim
  • page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    Love that 6.0 ENGINE!!! So far it has not let me down under any conditions while towing,or just blowing away Fords.I've had 454's,460's,350's and now my new work truck a HD 3/4 ton Ford triton 5.4! What a let down.I have both to compare with sitting right in my driveway.Yes,Ford made a big heavy beefy looking truck but Gm does it with style.I am also glad I sprung the extra for a 3/4 ton.The 3.73 gets you about 12 mpg and still does a nice job off the line.A whipple super charger would be nice though.Hate that gas tank on the short beds.It looks like they had room to make it a little bigger.I changed out the 245's for 265's and can't tell if it hurt peformance or not.It rides better on and off the road.GM really does have a winner.
    I agree with the Gas tank and tires. Wish they were both bigger. May swap the tires when I get mine. If I was to keep it for a while..I'd swap for a bigger after market tank also.

It's great to hear someone say how he loves his Chevy over his Ford!
    Ford may be the first for a lot of things...But Chevrolet is ALWAYS worth the wait for a Truck that is always one better.

Tim
  • krallenkrallen Member Posts: 12
    Ordered 3/4 reg cab with everything July 8.

Seems like 1/2 of options are in limited supply.

Does anyone know about optional heavy duty auto trans option (995). I will plow snow. Also how is aux battery set up--With isolator for stuff like camper or in tandem with first battery?

Has anyone had the shimmy problem with 3/4 ton?
    As far as I know the HD Trans is standard in a 4WD.

Seems no shimmy for 3/4's....let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Tim
    The dealer price list shows the heavy duty automatic to be a $995 list price option on the

3/4 4x4 and the regular auto to be standard equip Does anybody have HD trans on their truck or know if it has value for plowing snow etc.
    The HD trans (8600 GVW) comes standard with the 4x4 LT I bought.
    I didn't see any option for it?

2WD may be an option?
    The computer printout from the dealer shows the HD auto to be an option on the 2000 LS 4x4 8600 GVW.
    That may be true for an LS....LT's come with it
    Carwizard.com shows the HD auto is a $995 option for an LS..they come with the HD manual..so the dealer is right.
  • mtbh2oskimtbh2oski Member Posts: 13
    For those of you who already have your trucks ... and specifically those who have 3/4 ton trucks, I am curious to hear about your experiences with either the Z83 or Z85 suspensions both towing & just driving while empty. I have not been able to test drive both, and the Z83 seemed reasonably stout when the truck was empty ... but I wondering what actual use experience has been. Thanks for your inputs!
    Don't have mine yet...but the ones I drove were all Z85....and they rode like a dream! Better than 1/2 Z71.

Tim
  • page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    The only differance I was told was the shocks.I figured if the z83 wasnt enough I would find an after market shock to my liking.No need though, I am happy so far with the stock shocks. I do tow,up to 8000 lbs and find the ride to be nice when loaded or unloaded.I drive unmaintained rock covered dirt roads daily and would not care for the firm ride.
    Actually the road I made my decision on between the 1/2 Z71 and the 3/4 Firm WAS a dirt road with several washboards.

The 3/4 was sweet

Should be built by now....I'll have 'er next week.

- Tim
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Everyone has to make a decision whether compact, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or more. It depends on several factors: 1) maximum amount you'll EVER haul or tow, 2) how much of your driving is towing/hauling say 60% or more of the truck's rating and 3) how important mpg is (also the amount you drive.
    As several people have pointed out there is not much price difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton.
    I went with a 1500 LS 4x4 Z-71 ext. cab. It's use will be to handle winter in New England, haul a 1-horse trailer and 18' boat maybe 20 times a year, and general garbage and brush hauling - of course commuting and shopping added. I have made a deal and am waiting for a model 2000 order to be placed at the factory. As you have probably heard the engines on the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 are more powerful this year. Naturally the 6.0 is more powerful but I believe a 5.3L in a 1500 has a slightly better hp/weight ratio than a 6.0 in a 2500. I was seriously thinking of the 2500, but the extra gas, and wear on tires and brakes, were too much a negative, as I plan to keep it 15 years. Also I don't know how available the 2500's are - I see (10) 1500's for every 2500 I see.
    If your going to keep the Truck 15 years go with the 2500 it will hold up longer then the 1500.

Awesome Dave-40
    Commander in Chief/U.S.TruckForce
    Are there any negatives to getting the 2500 with the standard 5.3? Gas mileage is only 1 mpg less than the 1500, but you would have the higher towing capacity, and better ride (assuming Tim's feeling for a better ride is of the generic sense. See the first post in this topic).
    Granted the 6.0 is more better, but a big hit on gas mileage. The 2500 brakes are bigger, so they shouldn't wear out faster, should they? I'm sure they cost more to replace. As far as the tires go, I would be looking forward to replacing the 245's on the 2500 (what's the problem with setting the 2500 up with 265's?)

I don't plan on towing anything major. A 20' boat is probably gonna be it. A 1500 with the 5.3 would be plenty, but I can't see a draw back to getting the 2500 with the 5.3. Would resell be a problem without the 6.0? Every 2500 I have seen on the lots has the 6.0. I am either going with the 1500 w/5.3 or the 2500 w/5.3. Please, don't try to convince me to get the 6.0. I am sure it is as great as everyone says, but it ain't gonna happen for me. I started out wanting the 1500 with the 4.8.

BTW!! Tim, you can't stop your posting after you get your truck. I wake my whole family up at night when I laugh out loud from reading your responses. It would be like "Married with Children" without Al Bundy!!
    5.3 2500 you got to be kidding?
    The 6.0 is the ticket or wait till next summer and get the 8.1 Liter V-8

AWESOME DAVE-40
    COMMANDER IN CHIEF/U.S.TRUCKFORCE
    If you are going to keep it 15 years, get the 1500. You'll save enough in fuel to buy a boat.
This discussion has been closed.