Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I read your post and I have a suggestion. When first start your CRD, let it idle for about 15 - 30 seconds before putting it in gear. You may have drainback issue with your CRD like I have in my 2005. Allowing the CRD to idle before putting it in gear refills the TC and other parts as the fluid drains back into the pan after a few hours of sitting.

As to slamming into gear when you put it in reverse, I have had the same thing happen on a few occasions. It is rather unnerving. If it becomes a more consistent issue then the dealer will hear from me.
  • thstrangerthstranger Member Posts: 60
    Sounds like what is going on with my jeep is not as bad as what was going on with yours...Today I didn't notice the slight "grind" when going into reverse....but the hard shift into 3rd gear is still there..it doesn't shift as hard after it warms up "around 5 miles or so" but going into 3rd gear is always a harder change than any other !!
    Thanks, Siberia
    Skeeter
    Thanks Winter2,
    I do always try to let it warm up a little before starting out but I'll give it about a min. the next time to see if there is a differance.... You know how when you tack one up before it changes gear it hits a little harder than normal going into the next gear ?? I would say that mine going into 3rd gear for the first few miles is twice as hard...I will be keeping an eye on it for awhile and if it keeps it up I guess I'll make another visit :( ...
    Thanks again,
    Skeeter
    Siberia,
    Was your scan tool working before you had your crd reflashed to fix the transmission, and then you had to have it reflashed again so your scan tool would work again ??? Because I just had mine "flashed" "recall" so an after-market scan tool would work and I am wondering if something happened when that was done that makes it shift hard into 3rd gear !!!
  • anomiousanomious Member Posts: 170
    Hi! You mentioned "recall" I have not received any recalls on my Liberty yet. Aren't they supposed to mail them out?

:confuse: LK
    Skeeter,

In the first mile or so after first start of the day and especially when it is cool to cold, the trans is sluggish when it shifts. It is never really harsh or hard, just a bit sluggish. What I have learned is that the trans fluid, ATF+4, is a semi-synthetic product. It is the petroleum component in the ATF that is the problem when the temperature drops. When I get to 20K miles, I will be doing the first trans fluid change. I will be flushing out the factory fluid completely and replacing it with a completely synthetic trans fluid that exceeds ATF+4 specs. I have used a straight synthetic fluid in a trans before with very good results.

I suggest that in the first mile or three that you go easy on the power application until things warm up a bit. I drive my CRD gently in the first few miles to keep the level of stress down on components.

JW
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Was your scan tool working before you had your crd reflashed to fix the transmission, and then you had to have it reflashed again so your scan tool would work again ???

Yes. The reflash to fix the transmission made it shift more firmly and quickly into 4th and 5th, but nothing I would call harsh.

Because I just had mine "flashed" "recall" so an after-market scan tool would work and I am wondering if something happened when that was done that makes it shift hard into 3rd gear !!!

I don't know. All I can say is that the scan tool reflash had no additional effect on mine other than the tool working, again.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Hi farout,
    I finally finished all my mileage tests with different combinations of fuel types, weather, filters, new tires, driving conditions and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 versus dealership oil.
    It took me practically 2 years to sort things out because I evaluated each combination after 3 tankfuls.

The varnish deposits (called 'coking' here) is the only source of problem I was able to identify and can reproduce (create) easely.

I only wave my finger towards our ULSD :lemon:

ULSD (5ppm sulfur fuel) made me loose 10% mileage after a few weeks. The engine never recovered it's original behaviour until recently when I changed to LSD (10ppm). It took me 6 full tanks of the LSD to "clean" whatever came out of the system.

The nice thing about this engine is to be able to step back without damage. After 3 years of daily use and over 50,000 miles it runs better than new! :shades:

I will keep:
    - the BFG T/A tires that are noisy but can roll over concrete edges,
    - the Parker-Racor R20S fuel filter,
    - the Shell Helix Ultra oil.

I will keep as souvenirs:
    - the K&N filter,
    - the Provent ccv oil trap.

To my opinion the original air filter element (the white one made in Canada) does a good job but I'm using MANN paper cartriges instead. They are much cheaper and I prefer to change more often.
  • ungnungn Member Posts: 19
    Hi! You mentioned "recall" I have not received any recalls on my Liberty yet. Aren't they supposed to mail them out?

We didn't get a recall in the mail, either, but when I took our 2005 Liberty to the dealer for a check engine light (we thought it was the gas cap) and to fix a brake light (bad socket), they replaced the ball joints and gave us a new EGR (My original had about 14K miles on it).
  • prairiegirlprairiegirl Member Posts: 21
    Try online - there are several places - I called my dealer and Chrysler - they both told me there is no difference in the contract no matter where I buy it. About the online quoates, Chrysler said, "Oh it's a group of dealers who have gotten together to offer discounts because of bulk transactions." My warranty actually came from a dealer in Barrington, IL. He walked me through the whole process and took a credit card.

You can type Jeep Extended Warranty into your search bar and start looking. There are several - not all the same prices. Here is one to try http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/

I got 7/70 for $1170. By financing the car I got $1000 cash off, turned around and paid it off before finance charges accrued thus really saving myself 1K. So, I figure the extended warranty cost only $170. :-) Nice.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    carobou1: I was wondering where you had gone, it was a good long time that you posted here. Glad to hear from you! Your test show what I have suspected for a while. T ULSD we have where I live is 15ppm, and my mpg increases when I use it. However when I have used B-20 my mpg went down to 18 mpg, where before with no bio fuel I got 22+ mpg. With bio fuel it was quieter when the engine was running.
    I just called the parts store and we do not have that kind of Shell oil or that filter. However I DO USE SHELL ROTELLA 5-40W, and the DCX water/fuel filter.
    I am not going to try a K&N or a Provent. If I am right tired old dave, made his own kind of provent, he dumped his CRD this summer as well as new2diesel. Wnow have 21,000 miles on our CRD, on the 29th we will have had the CRD 1 year.
    Our diesel is now $2.35 a gallon, I am sure you price is much higher. Glad your back again

Farout
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Farout... I also use Rotella 5w-40 good oil but I use the Provent. You can not imagen how well this part work for your CRD, it trap a lot of bad oil, my hoses are all clean since i start using the provent. I only have 56oo miles on mine and it is an 05. Here in Orlando the cheapest diesel that i found was $2.60 at a 7-11 citgo station, and it last 30 minutes, the truckers were buying 2 or $300.00 to fill the tanks. Still no ULSD.

Nescosmo.
    Nescosmo, when you say the Provent trapped a lot of oil, are you talking of a few cubic inches or less?
    My engine oil level stays to it's "full" mark all the time, even after 15,000 miles. This was never the case 10 years ago!
    If you look at the range of VM engines you will notice they already use the equivalent of the Provent ccv, if not the same unit. I agree the Provent can extend the life of your air-mass flow meter. I did not install the Provent because my engine(MY 2003)is already too old to have the emissions control you have, so fortunately it can live well in the oil fumes . The only 'emissions control' sensors I have are the fuel pressure and boost pressure. My boost pressure is regulated by a simple membrane actuated wastegate and spring return. My EGR is vacuum driven without any return signal so the engine and transmission work selfishly.
    farout, I took the Jeep to the sea :shades: :shades:
    Prairiegirl.... Thank you for the info i will get busy looking for the best deal. How is your CRD, I took my today for a ride after a week of only using it for about 10 miles, i put 60 miles today and it was like a silk; I was doing 70 to 75 miles and it was so smooth. I love my CRD....

nescosmo.
    Caribou1... Welcome back, yes the provent only have a few cm of oil, when you check the filter you can see the oil and the drainage also have a very small amount not to make a difference in the amount of the deep stick. the hoses on the turbo all are clean with no oil, before i had to clean it all the time because the black oil was all over. it work very good. Caribou1 i wish that here in the US we could have a bast supply of parts like in EU. I will love to fix my CRD but i am afraid that the supply of parts will stop me from doing that.
    Nescosmo, what type of spare parts are you thinking about?
    I struggle to have bits and pieces come from NA because they are often better while you expect to get them from the EU :(
    It was the same debate 25 years ago: I supplied local industry with quality assurance equipment coming from the US. It was top quality handcraft made by dedicated senior employees. The EU could no longer afford that at the time, and I had been told that robots don't smoke, drink, go on strike or to the ...
    Today before buying I look where the goods come from and pay the extra money. I'm not a robot :P
  • jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    Hello all. I took the summer off from the Bd. Trying to get back into the swing of things. I have a tad over 8,200 miles on my 06. Treating her like a Jeep every chance I get.
    I recently raced my CRD at the US Diesel Nationals in Englishtown, NJ. She ran Mid 17s at 75mph. This will finally end the debate of if it's fast. As you can see, NO!
    Just to race the event proved a challenge.
    8:00 A.M. Security stops me at the entrance to the track and tells me I can't race.
    I ask why.
    Told it's "Diesel only."
    My answer. "Go Smell the %$&*@#* exhaust."
    Quickly told to move up in line.
    Everyone with a Big Rig and the diesel powered pickups from the big 3 were amazed at the little CRD. I spent 20 minutes at tech, just answering questions about the Jeep. Every Diesel junkie at the event was amazed and impressed with the quality of the little 2.8L. Not the fastest Diesel at the event as some heavily modified Big Rigs blew off low 16 second passes! Over all a good time.
    If Jeep is reading this, I'd happily accept any gratuities for plugging the Jeep and explaining everything the best that I could. I had to tell many disappointed would be customers that they have to wait until the GC get the Mercedes next year if they want any Jeep with a Diesel.
    All knowledge was gained from the smart minds that come here and take the time to educate and share their knowledge of Diesel engines.
    If only I had a dollar for every person that told me it was a Mercedes engine instead of VM Motori I would be writing this from a lap top some place in the tropics. :shades:
    Hi jimhemi,
    Perhaps next year because of your participation there will be a "Pee-Wee" or "HO" class :)
    Where you in front, between or behind the big rigs? I'm thinking of a 'Hitchcock' movie situation...
    Nice to hear from you once more Caribou.

Well, I went out and purchased a K&N filter for my CRD about three weeks ago. I see you put yours away. I am finding that the K&N has made some difference. For one,turbo lag is down by more than one-third and at times seems non-existent. Fuel economy actually worsened a little but now I am using a lighter foot on the accelerator pedal and fuel economy is back to baseline.

As to oil, I am staying with the synthetic 15W-40 for now while I am in Florida. ULSD (15 ppm) fuel will not be here on a regular basis until about mid-October. I am able to get ULSD but unfortunately not on a regular basis as of yet. I looked at the specs for the Shell Helix oil and it is a CF rated oil. The oil I use is CI-4+ rated and considering the poor quality of U.S. diesel fuel (low cetane), I will continue to use it. The 15W-40 I use has specs similar to most 5W-40 synthetic oils.
    We had our ball joints, and TCM reflash done yesterday. Can't tell any difference in the way it drives. The tec said the old ball joints can look good on the outside, but be ready to come apart. The dealer had plenty of the ball joints on hand.
    While at the dealer we got a pamphlet on the Dodge NITRO. It comes with the 3.7 V-6 or the new phoenix 4 L V-6. I think the dash and the front end look odd to me, but from the front door hinges back it looks very good. This is what the 2008 Liberty will look like except for the front end and the dash. The spare tire is underneath, which I really like. With a longer wheel base it should ride better.
    There were some 2007 Ram's in with the new diesel that meets the 2007 emissions, the cast was $5,800. extra for the diesel. I am not sure what the cost was for the 2006 Rams.
    There seems no changes in the 2007 Liberty. The 2008 Liberty is scheduled to come out in late March.
    In our area of 150 miles I don't find a new 2006 CRD anywhere. If there where we might have considered it rather than the 2006 3.7 we got for our daughter.
    Diesel fuel is $2.359 now and gas is $1.999

Farout
    winter2: Where can you get Shell Helix oil. Every parts place that I've checked with here, says it is not available. Here, at least.

Farout
  • jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    I read back a few posts and saw some people upgraded their mufflers. I've been looking to do the same. Has anyone installed an Aero muffler? If so, what's your part number and how has it been? Same question to the fellow CRD owner that installed a Flowmaster, what's your part number?
    I actually want something louder and have contemplated just running a straight pipe using the CAT as the only thing to muffle the sound.
    I have heard from some people that a Diesel engine DOES NOT need back pressure. Gas engines do need some back pressure. Anyone that can shed more light on this?
  • chipjchipj Member Posts: 4
    My first time on here and glad to find this site!!! We lover our CRD. 2005 with 20K miles. Had as couple of problems and am curious to see if anyone else has the same.
    I have had 2 egr valves replaced and the check engine light is on again. Same problem I believe. Hear a wooshing sound when the engine revs. Not the same as a turbo whine though. Engine had a lot more power when this EGR valve goes out. Revs faster etc. ALSO have two other problems that the dealer has not found a solution for yet. 1. Popping noise like a hammer under the car( can feel the popping also) when acelerating fast or stopping fast. ALSO have experienced (3 times)a LOSS OF ENGINE POWER (skipping) after making a sharp right hand turn. Turning direction may not have anything to do with it, but it has not happened on a left hand turn yet. Engine acts like it is running on one cyl. Will not pull the car more than 1 mph. No check engine light etc. It is resolved by turning the engine off and trying to restart it. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 long times to restart it. (very annoying in traffic) Engine was warm on 2 occasions and cold 1 time. Also sprang an oil leak that is putting a small pool of oil on the drivers side on top of the radiator.

Like I said, we love the car. Actually it is my wifes car. Now I want one.

ANY IDEAS ON THIS???
    From what I understand, there will be no more CRD's produced for 2007 year model
  • dacurdacur Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    Mind telling me which oil filter relocation kit you ordered from Amsoil? I want to install one and am having trouble figuring out which one to order. thanks
    nescosmo, our little Libby is a joy to drive! The recalls have been taken care of (though they had not created a problem yet) and she just sails along. Hubby uses the 0/40 oil recommended and a WIX filter. Our driving is light and not dirty so plan on the light maintenance schedule.
    Warranty: Got the contract paper immediately by email and the card and entire contract came yesterday - about 10 days. Ours is the gold coverage (bumper to bumper) so towing is included as well as a rental car.
    Hope you enjoy your ride!
    Hi you all,

As i have said, i have a 2006 crd and when i check my transmission fluid "cold" haven't driven the truck for over 8-10 hours so it is around 75-85 degrees...the "cold" fluid checks about a quarter inch above the "hot" range (like it is way too full)....then when i check it "hot" it is in the hot range, say after driving it 40 or more miles !! just was wondering if anyone had checked their crd transmission "hot" and "cold" and what reading ya'll might have got ??
    Thank you,
    Skeeter
    chipj: Welcome to the forum! I have posted a lengthy remark about the EGR problem and how it needs to be done correctly on post #7714. Basically if the PCM is not replaced at the same time as the EGR. you are most likely to continue replacing the EGR over and over.
    The last CRD in the Liberty was built in May, 06. To get the CRD to pass the 2007 Federal Emission standard it would have added too much cost to the vehicle. Even the Grand C CRD which is due out in 1/07 has had many problems that are yet to be worked out. The fuel mileage is less than the gas 4.7 V-8. So DCX has some fine tuning to due before 1/07.
    As to the sound you hear, it sounds like a loose hose. Take to a dealer that knows CRD's real well. Hope this helps. Glad you are in the forum.

Farout
    Last year I got the Chrysler Warranty for $1540. Max care $0 ded. 5 year 100,000 miles on our 2005 CRD. This year on our daughters 2006 Sport 3.7 gas the same warranty is now $2,220. The price increase is due to the drop in basic factory warranty to 3 years 36,000 miles.
    After looking at all sorts of warranties I can't find any other extended warranty that covers as much as the Chrysler warranty. The $50. ded 5 year 100,000 is $1,930. 36 monthly payments at 0% interest. I think this one looks best. Does anyone know of any Extended Warranty that's better, with the6 months and 0% interest?

Farout
    Farout,

I have the feeling that the Shell Helix oil is for European consumption only. I do have two ideas though.

1. Go to a car parts store that specializes in foreign, especially European, car parts. They might be able to get it.

2. Try contacting Shell via their website and see what they say.
    Caribou1.... The most important parts as: EGR valve sensors, pressure pumps timing belt, idler, water pump, etc. You have them over there we do not here. the rest of the jeep is the same as the gaser. I wish that i didn't have an EGR valve.
    Prairiegirl....I use Rotella syn 5w-40 is the best oil for your libby the 0w-40 is too thing and your ccv pass the oil to your turbo and the hoses; check your buster hoses to see if they are full of oil, they have to be red with no oil. if you have trace of oil buy a provent 200 and change your oil to 5w-40. most of us use 5w-40. some of us use syn 15w-40. also wix filter is good but i use a cm filter, expensive but is one of the best and there is no oil flow problem with this filter. enjoy.

nescosmo...
    Bad news people.

This oil is for overseas consumption. I searched the Shell website and all of the hits point to overseas, European and Asian markets. It is not available here.
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    I have seen several websites mention the possibility of the new 3.0L Mercedes diesel as an option for the 2008 Liberty...I would definitely buy one...I had a 2006 diesel but found the engine too unrefined for my taste...
    Nescosmo...will pass this info along to dear hubby. Thanks. But, isn't Ow-40 what Jeep recommends? Tell me about the cm filter. Where is it sold?

Prairiegirl
  • hogwild1961hogwild1961 Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know if you gut the catalytic converter on the crd...if it will trip any codes on the computer...I dont see any oxygen sensors at the convertor..Thanks
    frosty: I looked at your profile, and I see you are in Canada. I hope you outside temp. is lower than ours of
    90 F, or 32 C. This is suppose to be fall. I sure hope winter brings snow this year, and lots of it!
    From the DCX engine production schedule, and what the engines go into, it looks like no diesel for the Liberty at least until 2012. That's as far as it shows the Phoenix engines going for now. But who knew much in advance that the Liberty was going to test the CRD for less than 2 years?
    The only thing about the CRD I would change is the loudness of the engine. Its impossible to sneak up on wildlife to take close up pictures.
    After buying a 2006 Sport Liberty 3.7 gas, I am kinda worn out with vehicles for a while.
    I wrote Customer Care about these junky unsafe Good Year ST tires. I have come to the conclusion why they call these tires "ST" tires. Good Year left out the middle letters which are "HI", and with all letters in place, that is exactally what they are S--T tires.

Farout
    hogwild1961: There have been a few post's where they have replaced the CAT. and no one said they had any problems....yet. Maybe the only way to know for sure is to take it off and see. Just for my opinion this engine is plenty loud as is, I would hate to see what it might sound like without the CAT. If you try it let us know how it went.

Farout
    Winter2: Why is this bad news? Europe is not known for great tasting water, so perhaps the Helix oil isn't as good either. Besides if it were real good it would be here but at $12. a quart!

Farout
  • zachinmizachinmi Member Posts: 228
    DCX recommends 0W-40, only the Mobil 1 brand. The owner's manual says that synthetic 5W-40 is also ok. There have been many discussions here on the merits. Put simply, the 0W-40 is an outdated oil for diesel standards (it is rated CF), and is probably specified only because DCX already buys large quantities of it for Mercedes gas engines. The 5W-40 is widely available as the Shell Rotella-T that was mentioned, which meets the current CI-4 diesel oil standard. I have been using the Rotella-T 5W-40 and am very happy with it. I wouldn't use 0W-40 unless you get it for free or you live in Alaska.
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    I've asked the same thing of the service guy's and they only use the 0w40.My warranty covers oil changes till 2010 so if there is a problem due to the oil,it's on them.I even asked if they would use the 5w40 but they're stickin with what manufaturer says.
  • zachinmizachinmi Member Posts: 228
    My CRD is now 9.5 months old and running great. Just over 12,500 miles and no significant problems. I had been using B20 every 3rd tank or so for a while, but when the local petrodiesel seemed to get cleaner in August, I stopped using B20 for a bit and ran 7 tanks straight with petrodiesel. The last two tanks were less than 0.1% biodiesel by my calculations (I keep a spreadsheet of fuel MPG). I had noticed for the last 4 tanks or so that there was much more visible diesel soot than I was used to on moderate to hard acceleration, especially for freeway merging or scooting away from a light. It was enough smoke to make a squid-like getaway! Suspecting that biodiesel had been minimizing this, today I went and topped off with 5.5 gallons of B20 from my usual supplier. By my calculations this means 5.5% biodiesel in the whole tank (B20 and 20 gallon tank is a nice coincidence - each gallon of B20 puts 1% biodiesel in the tank, assuming you fill it to the top). Within less than 10 miles - which I figure is about how long it takes fuel to get from tank to engine - I noticed that smoke had all but disappeared upon moderate to very hard acceleration. Also, no more diesel smell after stopping. The engine also seems to run slightly smoother with some biodiesel in the tank, but the difference is far smaller now than it used to be, which I attribute to my guess of ULSD being in most local stations by now.

I know that VM Motori is against biodiesel and that DCX's position is unclear. However, with B5 being the factory fill, IMHO you are totally safe using up to B5. I find much less smoke on even 5% biodiesel in the tank.

In case anyone is wondering how biodiesel could make this difference, it has three benefits:
    -no sulfur and very low impurities in the biodiesel portion (soy methyl esters)
    -higher cetane than LSD petrodiesel (biodiesel is around 51 cetane, LSD is 42 or possibly lower; however ULSD now arriving is supposed to be 51+)
    -biodiesel contains some oxygen (11% oxygen in pure biodiesel), so the engine runs leaner and therefore has less unburned fuel
    Prairiegirl.....CM filter stand for Canton Mecca Filter. They make them remote and spin on; the spin on is the one that you want. The thread is 3/4-16 which is the norm for dodge and ford. There are alot of places that you can buy them the main is www.cmfilters.com and the other is livermoreperformance.com they last the the chipest of them all if you want them you will have to call them and order them. There are to size the 2 and the 4; i use the 4 because is longer and fit great under and it hold more oil.
    The part # are: 25-462 ( complete filter cost $87.00)
    26-120 (6 pack of filters cost $69.00)and 26-850 (gaskets for the filter cost $5.00).This filters are made with synthics materials and filter at 8 micron or better also they are 0 pressure drop which means that the engine will get more oil with them than with regular filter. There is no bypass valve so the oil is filtered 100% at all time. Go to your search engine and type cm filters and learn more about them. they are the best and let me tell you the engine work alot better with this oil filter. Also forgot to tell you that each filter last 10k between changes.
    Hi winter2,
    I don't think you have to focus on a brand. Do you really put the engine in a condition where you can deteriorate the oil?
    The Shell Helix Ultra I can get from supermarkets at ~8USD per quart. I used Yacco 5-W40 before and it made no difference.
    There is a difference between the Shell Helix and Helix Ultra. The 'Helix Ultra' is used in the common rail engines and the 'Helix' for older diesel engines. I use it in my Toyota 2.0D.

Now about the K&N: mine did bring more air flow and faster reving of the engine.
    It's the fixed torque converter control sequence that makes the K&N inefficient on my vehicle. I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the ECU to 'teach' another driving mode when the K&N was there. It just didn't help, I had the impression I was spinning free and overheating the transmission oil.
    Since the injection duration is mainly determined by boost pressure and load, the K&N cannot do much better than the original filter except when you accelerate while the TC stays locked at low revs. This occurs at 30mph in 3rd gear with OD "off" and 40mph in 4th gear with OD "on", on a sharp upgrade. My transmission locks at 1500 rpm in 3rd gear and 1700 in 4th.

When the EGR works well (or is absent), my truck behaves like if it had a manual transmission.
    I have to play with the shifter between "D2" plus the OD button on windy mountain roads to avoid over spinning the converter or choking the engine. Choking the engine in low 4th gear then engages the 'kickdown' (called 2-1/2 gear on this transmission) and later skips 3rd gear to catch into 4th. This cycle can go on indefinitely...
    Going downhill I use the same gear as going uphill. This saves the breaks and keeps driver attention on the road.

In other conditions, if the K&N brings more flow while it is not needed, the variable vanes of your turbo will regulate for less. I wanted and automatic but I lost the benefit of the K&N on a manual.
  • zoomy2zoomy2 Member Posts: 50
    I was at the dealer last Saturday scheduling my 27.5K oil and fuel filter change plus the recall (I have an 05). I talked about the shudder issue which mine has after you accelerate hard (like passing) and layoff the pedal it will shudder or miss a few times and then smooth out. I don't have this when I'm pulling my 18' Zoom camper, which I would think this would make the engine work hard.

Anyway, one of the other (6) CRD's they sold is going back to DCX as they couldn't find the cause, and DCX doesn't know either. The owner of the CRD doesn't want it back. Maybe :lemon: law? He wouldn't say.

Has anyone installed 4:10 gears in their CRD?
    zoomy2: Nice to hear from you again. I was in hopes you would return so I could ask a question about your Zoom TT. Is your Zoom the one with the queen bed in the front. or the one that makes into th queen sized bed? And of course what kind of fuel mileage do you get towing it.
    Is there anything about the Zoom you wish was different? Have you had any problems with the Zoom? Anything else you wish to share I would appreciate.

Farout
    Thank you so much for the reply. I just took my carin to CARMAX (they sell new chrysler in atlanta). I will pass it on to them. The mechanic that is working on it is the only diesel mechanic that they have. I just found out that the lower ball joints will be replaced also. That could account for the loud popping noises when accelerating or de-ccelerating (spelling?). As soon as the new egr valve is replaced, I will begin using the RedLine Diesel conditioner. I have used it in the past with an OLD 75 mercedes diesel I once had. It had about 300k miles on it and would only start when I used the RedLine. It really cuts down on the soot as well. Raises the cetane about 3 points.
    When talking to the service man at carmax, he told me that Chrysler has plans to introduce several diesels next year including the new commando (commander?) and a chrysler car as well. He thinks that they jumped the gun on the clean diesel availability. I am in Georgia, so I cannot tell you exactly what is in our local diesel.
    In some ways, I am disappointed in the service problems, but I do feel that some answers are right around the corner.
    We do love the car and depending on theoutcome of the RedLine conditioner, I my buy another as well. :shades:
    chip
  • zoomy2zoomy2 Member Posts: 50
    I get on everyday (except when I'm camping), I just don't have much to say.

We have the FD or Front Dinette model. The QB or Queen Bed model the table will not go against the wall, ie sticks out in the isle due to the wheel well. Also,we wanted the side couch in the FD.

I have posted on this site about the Zoom including pictures:
    http://www.dutchmen-rv-forum.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=29

Our CRD has 27K since Mid-August 05 Delivery, runs well, except for the occasional shudder. Oil changes every 5K, but the first was a 2.5K,

Pulling the Zoom TT we get between 15.2 and 16.5 mpg driving in OD at 65mph. Is shifts down to much around 58-60 mph so I just drive at 62-65. We have had it in the foot hills of Southern Ohio and in a few areas of Michigan. I can't complain about it as a tow vehicle, as I just don't except it to pull like a K20 with 454 V8. I have been thinking about having the gears changed to 4:10 to get additional pulling power, but I'm going to try a different set of tires first that are 29" in diameter -slightly smaller that stock. Maybe I would have to drive at 65 then. I'm the only one posting on the Zoom, so I must have the only one sold. ;)
    Farout,

Could it be that EU diesel fuel is better than what we get here? The EU requires a cetane of 51 or better and they have had ULSD for sometime in most of the EU also. So a CI-4+ rated oil is probably not required in the EU while a CF rated oil is quite sufficient there.

Domestic diesel fuel borders on being garbage. It is considered an industrial fuel. Only now are we getting ULSD and cetane will be in the upper forties, not the low to mid fifties.

Consider this. The recommended oil for the CRD is CF rated. It is made by Mobil-Exxon, one of if not the biggest domestic oil companies. Mobil 1 is not a highly rated oil and in my view and in the view of others is an adequate synthetic oil. It is obvious by those who use Shell synthetic oils that they are quite satisfied.

As for the drinking water, I was in the Austrian Alps some years ago and I found the drinking water quite excellent!