Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 GMC Sierra

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I was agreeing that it is a gimmick.

- Tim
  • dalehannahdalehannah Member Posts: 4
    Talk to Sexton Automotive Group, Harriman Tn.
    I have dealt with them before and will again in a couple of weeks, when my Dakota r/t goes back.. If they don't have it they'll get it @ $500. over invoice, and will treat you like somebody.. not just another dummy... D
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    GM is not producing the ZX3 driver-selectable suspension yet. It was supposed to be available for the 1999 year, then the 2000, and now it is on indefinite hold. What it does is allow the driver to select the valving on the shocks from the cab. That's all. The springs are the same on the base ("solid/smooth ride") and the HD ("handling/trailering") suspension; all that changes is the shock valving. The ZX3 is supposed to give you the ability to swithc between them depending on your needs.

While I was interested in the ZX3, I'd be cautious about it now. The continuous delays in availability probably means that GM is having problems with it. Even if you could get it (as of two days ago GM wouldn't even let you order it), would you really want one of the first ones? Also, it's roughly a $400 (retail) option. For that money, buy the HB suspension and replace the stock shocks with some adjustable aftermarket ones yourself. Yes, you'll have to get out of the cab to change the settings, but you'll save a ton of $$ and still get the same functionality. Plus, you won't have to worry about the gizmo circuitry that controls the shocks from the cab breaking.

I ordered a 2000 Sierra SLT 1500 2wd EC SB 5.3 4dr that way, loaded (heated memory seats, the works) for $25,300 (GMO price). The only options it doesn't have are 2-tone paint (didn't want) and ZX3 (can't get even if I wanted it). The dealer says it should be in around mid-December.
  • pierce5pierce5 Member Posts: 9
    I have had a 2000 Sierra SLT 2wd 4 door on order now for 4 weeks with no build date. How does the build date get prioritized by GM. 1st come, 1st serve or by dealership? This will be my 1st truck and I've got the fever pretty bad.
    Rick P
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    have a 2000 4X ordered since sept. and it's suppose to be in in Dec. I haven't inquired about build dates etc., cause I think I know what to expect - I expect to wait - oh well, hopefully not though...
  • teaboy022teaboy022 Member Posts: 59
    Thats true Swobig...

Hes just another memeber in the club

I have had mine ordered since Mid-July.

NO BUILD DATE YET

Teaboy
  • mmorris64mmorris64 Member Posts: 23
    Well, I just put a deposit down to order a 00 3 door Extended Cab Sportside SLT. Onyx Black/Oak Buckets Leather. 5.3, 3.73 for 250 over invoice.Delivery sometime December/January. Can anyone point me to a good picture of a Black Extended Cab Sportside SLT.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • jdrogersjdrogers Member Posts: 7
    I guess I will just have to post a picture of my 2000 GMC Extended Cab Sportside SLT, Onyx Black/Pewter Leather Buckets, 5.3, 3.73, Z71... But I need to scan it in first and my scanner is over at a friends house!

Went to order one and the dealer I dealt with located one exactly like I wanted. No waiting!

You will love your new truck!
    Thanks JD, please post when you can or send to my email, mmorris64@yahoo.com.
    Menawhile check this nice truck out.
    I like the stance it has.
    http://24.7.28.160/truck/truck.html

Mark
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    GM assigns weekly "allotments" to its dealers based on sales volumes and other factors. Your dealer can use its weekly allotment to order vehicles for sale off the lot or to order vehicles to be built specifically for customers. You place an "order" at your dealer and pay a deposit, and the dealer then has to use one of its weekly allotment spaces to place that order with GM. If the dealer has open slots the week you place your order with the dealer, the dealer may well be able to get your order into GM and accepted by GM within the week. Then your wait time is just a function of how backed up GM is on that particular product.

If your dealer doesn't have any spaces, either because GM hasn't allotted the dealer any truck order slots for the week or because the allotment slots are already committed to other customers (or the general mgr needs to order vehicles for the showroom/lot), then your order may not go into GM for some time. The moral: you should confirm with your dealer before you sign on the dotted line whether your dealer has an allotment slot for you that week, and get a commitment as to when the order will be submitted to GM with an agreement that you can cancel and get your deposit back if the order isn't submitted and accepted by a certain date. If the dealer won't make that commitment, try another dealer.

None of that applies if you are ordering through the employee ("GMO") program. A dealer can submit a GMO order regardless of dealer allotment.

Disclaimer: the above is how it has been explained to me by GM insiders and dealers. I have never personally worked for GM.
    there lying - so the saying goes. I ordered mine through the GMO program and was told it would be here in Dec. kdahlquist - hope it works like you explained, but I have my doubts. Until then me and the teaboy wait, and wait, and wait... Good luck teaboy, ordered mine in Sept...
    kdahlquist, thanks for the explanation. I ordered mine on 9 Sep through GMO plan, so I guess that I am one step closer. I would have never thought that I would have to get in such a long line to spend 24K, oh well.
    sometimes you have to wait for the best. I guess it's better than settleing on something else...
  • gmcnutgmcnut Member Posts: 14
    Pierce5, Here's how it worked for me: Went to my local GMC dealer on Aug. 2nd and spent about 4hours getting my Y2K Sierra SLE 2500 all spec'd out. Settled on the final price with my '96 trade and received a confirmation fax from the dealer on Aug. 4th that the order was placed. The 2nd week of Sept. received notice that the dealer received an allocation for my truck to be built. Checked back with the dealer on Oct. 5th and talked to the truck manager who gave me a build date of the week of Oct. 4th with a Code 3400 which meant that as of that week it was in the frame shop. Manager told me to expect the truck by the end of the month. Received a phone call this morning that my truck was delivered and in the detail shop if I wanted to come down and touch it. Wow! I take delivery this Thursday. I was impressed, especially since several of the options that I had spec'd out, ie. 3.73, extended cab and locking diff. were supposedly constrained. About 10 weeks from day of order to actual delivery. Talk to your dealers truck manager. If they have any kind of allocation he should have yours on his list somewhere. Getting to the Code 3400 is key. At least it was for me. Good luck.
    Hey All

I finally said enough is enough and laid down the law.

I called up the dealership and gave them a mouth full of my opinions.

Just Two days later ... THey call me up and say that my build date will be in December. Finally they have some answers for me.

Dont know if they are being good little dealers and finally working on actually getting my truck in or ... just giving me a date to shut me up...
    Either way...They didnt make the buying process a pleasant one... Will not go to them next time or recommend them to any of my buds...
    ~Teaboy~
    is what I was told to day for 4th straight week. Congrats Teaboy, who is the 1st person that I have heard of whos got a build date on a 4 dr ext cab. I hope this means that the flood gates will open shortly.

Probably wait a couple weeks before I start complaining loudly to the dealer.
    Pierce5 and others...

My order is for a Reg Cab not a 4 door...
    Reg Cab Sportside, 4.8 liter, Indigo Blue, Graphite Interior.

Called again today to check up...and hes says they are in the process of building it now. Itll take 4 weeks to build and about 10 days to be delivered... looking around the first week in December!

~Teaboy~
    does anyone know how to find out how much the "invoice" price is on the 1sc marketing package..I can find all of the other prices on the new truck I'm going to try to buy, but can't find any listing for the package.. kbb says there is no charge, but they definately have $595. on the sticker.If anyone does please post.. thx.. D.
  • pkooistrapkooistra Member Posts: 12
    There is no "invoice" price for the 1SC package as it is what you get as standard equipment with that trim line. What you may check is the base price to see if this has been taken out. On the SL trim the base price is $22,159 and on the SLE it is $24,399. If the dealer sticker shows the base price as lower this may explain the $595. I could not find ANY option listed at that price so they may be adding their own optional equipment and showing it under 1SC. If you have MS Excel I have a little spreadsheet that makes comparing options and the Chevy vs GMC much easier.

Peter
  • iwantagmctruckiwantagmctruck Member Posts: 12
    I got a build date today of Nov. 1 for my
    2500 4WD Long Bed SLT 6.0L 4.10 axle.
    I ordered it on 9/2/99 from Grant Petersons
    in Mountain Home, Idaho.
    Going to pick up my truck monday or tuesday, Sextons has to go to Ky. to get it. Has everything I want and more, and will be at the price I can stand.. Still haven't totally figured out the 1SC package...D.
  • tdriggertdrigger Member Posts: 9
    I ordered a GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4WD Ext Cab with most of the options on 15 October and am interested in anyone knowing how to track production progress. From the sounds of it, my dealer may have been dreaming when he said 6 - 8 weeks for delivery. I definitely am not the most patient man on the face of the earth and lord knows when you spend 30K for a truck the waiting period stinks. I'm truckless after my poor Mazda took it's last breath at 179,000. I'm really excited about my first GMC truck and hope I made a great choice. I need the bigger truck to pull my 6,000 lb. boat and the GMC seemed to be the ticket for reliability, value and overall packaging for trailering equip. and the HD TRANS cooler. Where are these types of options on the TUNDRA? Anyway!

Thanks and look forward to hearing from someone about tracking production and getting a realistic timeframe for my new beast's delivery!

Also, Is the vibration problem discussed in other topics still a problem or have the engineers fixed the problem? I'll definitely test drive for 20 mins. before signing the final papers.

Thanks again,

Tom
    Tom;

From the items you mention, there should not a
    problem getting the truck you ordered. The
    real problems are with GMC 3/4 ton ANYTHING
    and Long beds. Other items that can be seen
    at www.wheels.com are limited availability.
    Check that list against your order and you will
    know if you are in for trouble. Ask your GMC
    dealer for the status codes for production.
    He/She gets the status updated weekly in
    their computer system. The "build date" is
    the magic milestone. Once you have your build
    date, you can expect your truck within 4 weeks
    after that date.
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    Your getting about what I want (3/4-ton, 4wd, 4-door ext. cab, longbed, camper/trailering). How much are you paying? What kind of options? How have the dealers been for you with ordering the 3/4-ton? What kind of down-payment? About how long are you expecting between order and delivery?
    I ordered my truck with just about every option
    including the heated leather seats with memory
    settings. Easier to say what I did not order.
    No limited slip, fog lights,two tone paint,
    fourth door or rear
    slider window (you cannot order the rear defroster
    AND the slider). I paid invoice + 2% advertising
    - $99 + $640 destination charge. Order to delivery
    will be about 11 weeks. This is only possible
    because I spent HOURS over a period of several
    days on the phone with GM
    complaining about the situation until I got
    to the people that could do something about it.
    (No I will not tell you who they are! That
    would not be very nice after them helping me).
    The dealer was completely blown away that I got a
    allocation from GMC specificly for me.
    Before you order find a dealer who does NOT
    have a stack of orders ahead of you waiting
    for an allocation. The big question is how
    long you will wait until you get an allocation.
    Without an allocation you are getting nowhere
    fast. Good Luck!
    Well, after sitting down and writing the first note I decided to call my friendly GMC dealer and guess what?.......... MY TRUCK hasn't been ordered. The dealership orders on Fridays and they got no allocations or so they say. I find it hard to believe that they would place my order above an allocation for their lot considering I'm a united buying service purchaser with a guaranteed $100.00 over factory invoice price. They only make the 100 plus 3% dealer hold back and from what I've been hearing they can't keep them on the lots. I may have to do something like GWMOORE and call GMC and see if I can get squeeky real quick. How does GMC distibute allocations and is the dealer required to order my truck before he /she orders any other truck for their lot? I hate to by a truck on the lot for 30K and sacrifie color and a few options but as I said earlier I want my GMC. I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the info! Patiently waiting!

Tom
    Tom, Best thing to do is talk to your dealers truck manager. He should have the build date as soon as your order hits the production floor. I ordered my Y2K 2500 GMC SLE with locking diff. L85 suspension, engine oil cooler, AutoTrac 4WD, Power everything, skid plates etc, on Aug. 2nd and received notice the week of Oct. 4th that it was in build. The dealer had a code 3400 after my order which meant it was in frame assembly. At that point he told me I would have the truck by the end of October. Last Monday, 10/18 they unloaded it from the hauler and I picked it up that Thursday afternoon. About 10 weeks from order placement to delivery. Not bad, especially after all the horror stories I heard and read about in these chat rooms. Maybe I got lucky, but it's exactly the truck I ordered and so far I can't complain about a thing with it. Good Luck.
    Marty
    iwantagmctruck, thanks for the info.

gmcnut, sounks like you are set. you don't happen to be in the Great Northwest? I wouldn't mind talking to your dealer. What kind of down payment did they want?

iwantagmctruck & gmcnut, any mileage figures yet?
  • scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    Is there any way of knowing if they REALLY have allocation? My local GMC dealer wants my business (at least thats what he says!) and after telling him I ordered a 4th door Silver over the hill, he magically claims he can order one also. I dont want to get into a relationship with a dealer I dont trust, and would prefer to buy local( he will give me free oil changes too), but like someone else stated "if their lips are movin', they're lyin'".
    Sorry gw, I live in the greater Northeast, the Southern Tier of N.Y. to be exact. I got my GMC from VanAtta Buick/GMC in Vestal, N.Y. All I put down was $100.00 and with my 1996 trade in wound up paying $128.00 over dealer invoice. I will tell you that this is the third new vehicle that I've purchased from this dealer in five years, so that probably didn't hurt me. It pays to stick with a dealer if he's honest, the product is high quality and the service dept. is trustworthy. I've found this dealer to have all of those traits plus I've had the best luck with Buicks and GMC's. Good luck.
    what you paid for any vehicle when you trade something else in. Having worked at a dealership a lot of times you try to find what a persons motivation is. Sometimes people want to buy a vehicle at invoice, other times they want top dollar for there trade. Usually this drive the other factor up or down. That's just the way it works - the dealer has to make money too and they usually make a lot more on used cars than new. Not saying you didn't get a great deal, but you will always get the best deal if you sell your car outright then buy another. Unfortunatly 99% of us cannot do that. Good luck with yours...
    Filled up after first 140 miles, ( couldn't wait to see what I was getting compared to my 1/2 ton with the 5.7 liter 3.42 gears ) and was surprised it was right at 13.9 mpg. Not bad for a 6.0 liter with 3.73 gears. This was a combination of highway and around town. I can't wait until I get through the breakin period and then do some serious highway hauling. I'll keep you posted.
    To all,

Wish us luck, tomorrow is the dealers day to place orders. Prayin for GMC to accept the order and prayin that the dealer pushes it through. Although, based on www.wheels.com the locking diff. may be a delay. Well, so far three weeks and counting for my order. Good luck to everyone else waiting for an order and happy truckin to those of you having the pleasure of driving the one and only 1%'er. I'll let you know how everything goes.

Tom
    Well, I just received my order number from the dealer. called GMC @ 1-800-GMC-8782. They verified the truck goes into production November 15th.
    Should be built in a week and shipped to the dealer in two weeks. It should be at the dealer by 1-2 week of December.
  • rfduncanrfduncan Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone noticed an excessive creaking noise in the lumbar area of their power seats when they lean back in them? I've noticed the driver's side is worse than the passenger's side. Is this normal?
    Well, I lost it! The dealer him-haughed around and around but I lost it. All this talk an really no explanation on allocations. Finally, after demanding to speak to the manager the final word is......GMC won't give them an allocation without the dealership selling a truck off their lot. Three weeks and waiting, I don't understand how the dealership can hold up the production of a sold vehicle? Why penalize me for the dealership not producing sales on the lot. I may pull pin and go to another dealership because this wasn't explained to me when I ordered and I know the salesman knew and of course he said the order would be placed the next day. What a crock! I realize $100.00 over factory invoice is not a lot of money, but that coupled with 3% dealer hold back and the consumer paying for advertisement is a pretty good way to make money for an hours worth of work. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE IT PAINLESS! Well congrats mmorris64 and to those of you in production! I'll keep you informed.

Tom
  • tganleytganley Member Posts: 15
    I've been waiting almost two and half months for an allocation and don't have any confidence I'll get one soon. I've talked to a number of dealers in my area (Idaho) and none of them give me the impression that they would have any better luck.

Hope it works better for you than it has for me.
    I've gone over the Edmunds car-buying advice, but anyone know exactly what (how much) the advertising fee is (I'm in Oregon)? Sierra 4wd 2500 HD
  • pkooistrapkooistra Member Posts: 12
    I was at the Corona Chevrolet dealer this weekend and they told me they just got 16 allocations for 4rth door trucks. He checked with the GM and was told they were going to sell them all at MSRP since the demand out here is so high and they are one of the first dealers in SoCal to get an allocation. Because of this he is eager to sell his 3rd door inventory and was willing to talk about $500 over invoice. The demand is so high here that they have been selling them for $1000-$1500 over invoice. I think I may wait it out and try for a 4rth door in Feb. or March.
    next week. Should have my GMC Sierra 1500, SLT, 4 dr, 5.3 in the driveway the 1st week or 2 of December. Originally ordered through GMO on 3 Sep.
  • doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    pierce5 did you have to wait for an allocation when using GMO? I've been waiting on an allocation for about a month or so here in Phoenix. I'm ordering about the same truck you did. Please let me know as the waiting is driving me crazy. I'm also using GMO. What did yours cost? I have a feeling this dealer is trying to slide by using GMS. thanks
  • scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    There is a topic on GMO/GMS futher on this BBS. I think it stated no allocation was needed for GMO.
    Scottay1@aol.com
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I have a Y2K Sierra Z71 on order from a dealer in Milwaukie, Or and they are charging me $500 for advertising. Otherwise, I paid $350 above invoice. I ordered on 9/11 and they told me last Fri that it should arrive around 12/8.
    Thanks for the info. I'm over here in Bend, but am going to look all over Oregon and Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID for the best deal. Our local dealer came within a couple hundred dollars of Dave Smith when he purchased his '99 1500 Sierra. What kind of down payment did they require? When did they require the down? Thanks again.
    Well, after speaking to GMC and the District Sales Manager I've come to the conclusion that an allocation for my truck will definitely not come in November and possibly not in December. I canceled my order and purchased a Silverado with the same color and options. GMC says build times are 12 weeks with 4WD EXT CABS Z71, Z82, G80 and all the bells and whistles. Truckless and can't wait 5 months. I am picking it up today.

For everyones info! PRICES WENT UP Nov 01 on the Chevy and the GMC. It's not the base price it's the options that increased. The trucks prices delivered after 1 November reflect the new prices. Make sure if you ordered your truck before November 1 that you're price protected. My GMC dealer told me my deal was the price at delivery but the Chevy dealer I'm dealing with said all his customers are price protected and the dealership recoups the difference in price from the factory instead of the customer. Well, good luck to everyone, I guess the GMC wasn't the truck for me. I love both trucks so I'm happy with my decision but disappointed in General Motors ordering program. I got the skinny from the dealer and it's the dealerships in the past fault that we're waiting so long. It seems that dealerships were making up sold orders in the past to get trucks so now sold orders mean absolutely nothing. We wait based on dealer allocations and wait on "constraints" like 3/4 tons, lond wheel bases, G80 (locking diff) and certain colors. Ordering constraints can be given to you by your dealership, they get a list every week. See ya, going to check out RHINO LINERS and find a fiberglass toneau cover.

Tom
  • jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    When the prices increased on Nov 1, do you know how much they went up?
  • doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    i called the gmo people and they did not know anything about allocations so they referred me to gmc. gmc simply said you always have to wait for an allocation. i ordered on 10/6 and it still has not been ordered. i get the feeling the dealer could care less about placing my order cause they make so little on the transaction. plus they have to, according to him use an allocation on such a hot veichle. patience wearing thin here in phoenix. thanks for the info guys.
  • studebaker1studebaker1 Member Posts: 8
    I got my Sierra Ext. cab 4.8L 2wd SLT last Friday, and it was really worth the wait. Mine took 10 weeks from order date, but I am totally happy with it. I am a car nut and very picky about quality, I have not found a single defect in my new truck, it is perfect. I am very impressed with the drivetrain and steering. Wow! this is really a big improvement over the old design.

I was really spooked by some of the posts complaining of vibrations, launch shutters and other problems, but mine is solid and smooth as glass.

I almost chickened out and bought the Toyota, but I couldn't deal with the rear seat. I'm glad now. This is a better truck and so much better looking!

Good luck to you all. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

Steve
    Congrats Steve. Yes it is encouraging to hear these words while we wait and read other horror stories from these forums. Mine should be hear in mid December. I got the 5.3/3.73 Extended Sportside SLT. I am really looking forward to getting it. It will be my first Truck but is almost like a Cadilac extra storage.

Do you plan on making any mods to your new Truck.
    I went last night to the Mobil 1 page and am convinced I will be using synthetic oil.

Mark
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I had to make a $500 deposit when they wrote up the order. I think that is pretty standard. I have a daughter living in Bend but her husband is a Ford man. I think it is his only flaw.
This discussion has been closed.