Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I have just under 50k on my '05. No repairs beyond maint & recall except for EGR at 10,000. MPG is +/- 25 with 80% on hi way at 70-75. Very good in snow (not that you would care in socal) and off road.

BUT, if you don't like the diesel noise, don't get it. Its not going to get any quieter.
  • whitgallmanwhitgallman Member Posts: 121
    While on the Interstate going home yesterday with cruise on about 62 mph and at about 1,750 rpm in 5th gear, the Jeep jumps out of cruise control, the tires chirp, engine revs to 4,000rpm or so and I'm thrown tight against the seat belt. No noticable dip in the road. Road relatively flat, not climbing a hill or going down one. Maybe my "car chip" caught the excursion.
    It righted itself and I reset the cruise and was OK the rest of the trip, except for my heart racing. This is about the third time. It has about 17,500 miles on it.
    Have any of you had that happen? How did you fix it?
  • 05crdjeep05crdjeep Member Posts: 59
    Maybe my "car chip" caught the excursion.

What do you mean by this?? Did you put a new Chip in your Jeep and you think it may have malfunctioned??

We had something similar but it was due to my boneheaded actions. We put both the carpet floor mats in and the thick rubber ones thrown on top for a dirty trip. The "gas" pedal stuck on the rubber mat and the thing wouldn't stop. The light for the electronic throttle control went on after we halted the vehicle by standing on the brakes and shutting it off. Pure dumbness.
  • whitgallmanwhitgallman Member Posts: 121
    a "car Chip" is a little data acquisition gadget that plugs in the OBD-II port and collects info on vehicle speed, hard breaking, check engine light info and other parameters.
    I take it to my computer where I download it & look for transients. Can reset check engine light with it too.
    Great for spying on your kid's driving style.
  • hamchamphamchamp Member Posts: 33
    Whitgallman, Yes, that is how my problem started. I HAD a 2005 with 23K. To make a long story short, it took them 110 days to fix it after it was towed. During that time DCX did a replacement deal. This was the 3rd time that I had BIG problems with the Jeep. Look at my other postings. Good luck. hamchamp
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Whitgallman..... Have you clean your Map Sensor?. The sensor is there to check for barometric pressure in conjuction with the Pcm and Wot (wide open throttle). If your map sensor is bad, it could cause many things, like wot and many others things.

Nescosmo.
  • mdamickmdamick Member Posts: 277
    I have had mine do the same thing. It seemed to be caused by the code reader computer after the PCM decided it didn't want to talk to it anymore. I think the PCM gets confused and tells the TCM to have the transmission drop a couple of gears.
    DC or C still has work to do on the computer interface.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    I've had it happen 3 times only not a severe - twice when it was raining hard and once when the ScanGauge was connected (about 8,000 miles ago last time). It happened at 65, jumped out of cruise control and turned up 2,800 RPM after a pretty good thump - consistent with 3rd gear TC locked. When I got home I fixed it with a couple of Keystone Ices and I hasn't happened since.
  • randy_rayrandy_ray Member Posts: 9
    I have an 06 CRD Sport with 12,600 miles. Love it... especially now that diesel is cheaper than gasoline. Most places here in Houston are 2.74-2.85 but a mom/pop convenience store sells Mobil diesel for 2.64. But I digress... my purpose is to tell about two occassions where my Liberty went plain nuts. The first was in traffic that averaged 35-50 mph with a stop light every few miles. All of a sudden it wouldn't go, it was like I downshifted to 1st gear at 40mph but it was sputtering and spitting. I could hold the pedal to the floor and the engine would sputter its way up to about 2500rpm and shake the vehicle ever so slowly up to about 30-35mph, no faster. I pulled to the side, shut 'er down, waited a few minutes then started 'er back up. She took off like nothing had ever happened. The second time was after about 15 minutes of 55-60mph highway driving. I realized I had to turn around so I made a 'u-eee' but had to hold on the shoulder for approaching cars. After the last one past I jumped on her to pullout before the next wave of cars... but nope, same sputter, shutter and shake with the RPM reaching 2500-3000RPM and the speed slowly creeping to 30-35. I stopped on the shoulder and restarted it like before. (Microsoft didn't design the computer program for this thing, did they?) HA!.. Anyway, she had probably 6000 miles the first time and about 8000 miles the second time. Since then I haven't experieced that drastic of a scenario but occassionally I feel her skip a beat or two at 55-60mph. And every once in a while she bellows smoke from stop. I considered taking her to the Jeep dealer where I purchased her but they are clueless... they'll want it to be doing it otherwise there's no problem. They argued with me that the speedometer is intentionally off by 5mph and that police radar and GPS were inaccruate (which by the way equalled each other while discovering the speedo discrepancy). They even tried to tell me that GPS systems, while I realize there is some inaccuracies, were again, deliberately 'off' due to government security concerns. Okay... thank you... I'll take my Jeep to the Ford dealer now (just kidding, take her to the Dodge dealer down the road instead). Anyway... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • pttrilliumpttrillium Member Posts: 62
    The rattle is likely the closer on the window in the back. You will see a black, square 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch metal thing that presses on the glass and holds it into the latch. It has to have grease on the surface. A dab will do. It is a non-optimal design. I have the same rattle-be-gone fixation and I can almost guarantee this fix. I clean the latch and put new grease on about every 10,000 miles.

I have an '05. Did the recalls, one for the transmission torque converter, and the other for the lower ball joints.

Non recall repairs included one EGR at 18000 miles, recalibration of the temperature gauge, a new low restriction transmission filter and two reprogrammings of the ECM.

Overall I am delighted to be driving this, have taken trips from the upper midwest to South Carolina and just got back from another one in Death Valley. I have driven the vehicle in 111F degree heat and started it when it was -21F without using the block heater, just to see if I could test it.

I wish they still sold them, I know others that would buy one in a minute now that I've sort of "broken the ice" and taken the risk. It has proven, overall, to be a good investment. Fun is worth the minor trouble I've had.

My complaints: The tires are a joke. The Wrangler ST's (ST stands for Sh***y Tire) should be replaced with Wrangler Silent Armor Off Road tires. They have a reinforced side wall and Kevlar belts. They really do everything well. The Goodyear Fortera's are nice but frankly are just another highway tire.

I added tow hooks, skid plates and have scraped the daylights out of the bottom. I have ripped the muffler off twice and paid to weld and then replace it. Off road, it is a barrel of fun.

I get 20 in town in the winter and 29.5 on long freeway trips. Mileage suffers most in 30-40 mph headwinds driving 85mph. It likes hills and it is really fun to drive a turbodiesel over an 11,000 foot pass. Turbo whine is your friend up there.

I bought mine new, it stickered for $30,450. It is a Limited with everything except nav, uconnect and at the time, skid plates and tow hooks. I think I can negotiate well and got the selling price down to $26,800. I added a 7/70000 mile bumper to bumper warranty extention for $980.

I'd do it again in a minute.
    Can anyone help with this. I got my replacement vehicle for the Jeep in a Heep on 4/27/07. I am keeping my old tags because they are the special ones that you order from the DMV, so the dealer gave me the paper one. That was fine, but it was good for 30 days. That would have been 5/27/07. I checked with the DMV and the dealership hasn't submitted the information as of today. This is week 7. I called the dealership and they said they would send me a new paper tag, that was 4 days ago. Each day they say they sent it, (we are 1-1/2 hours away) and the next day they say there was a problem. Today , Sat. they guaranteed Sat.delivery with UPS. NO PAPER TAGS. Any suggestions would be helpful, Thank you. hamchamp. :confuse:
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Hello Hamchamp! farout here, again. I might suggest you call the Comuster Care number, I am positive they will call the dealer to find out why the delay. Just incase you forgot the # is 800 992 1997. Hows the Dakota, are you pleased? Have you found out what they did with your old CRD?
    We are very pleased with the 4x4 Compass. Sure rides so smooth. Now all we have to do is sell our 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 Sport. Our daughter who we got ot for, has hit a financial snag....so we got a bigger snag. With the 2008 Liberty's coming out in Aug I need to sell it befor it comes out. Hope all is well with you.

farout
  • twocycle2twocycle2 Member Posts: 55
    Just to follow up with y'all - today the wife and I drove an inferno red 2006 Liberty CRD limited with leather/Nav (but no sunroof) has only 8200 miles and the dealer wants $31000 for it !! Seems overpriced but I can always butt heads with them if I decide I wanna go for it.

Jeyhoe,

$31K is WAY overpriced....Carmax used to have a bunch of CRD's ranging from $18-$24K, some with very low miles. $31k is what they stickered for new over a year ago. If you can get the one you described around $23k, that is probably somewhat fair. As for me, I actually traded mine in about a month ago and bought a Caravan. While I hadn't had many problems, it just really concerned me having a vehicle that the dealers couldn't seem to fix when something went wrong. Plus, I didn't have the extended warranty and was not about to risk paying for these potential repairs out of pocket. I loved my CRD, but I just couldn't stand owning a vehicle I didn't trust to take on roadtrips. For reference on price, mine was 2006 Inferno Red Limited w/ leather and sunroof (no nav) w/ 20k miles. Was offered $17500 for trade in. They are nice vehicles, but you will need to plan on extra maintenace and repairs as compared to the average vehicle today.

Twocycle2
    I wrote to DCX Consumer care via Email today. In the past they did respond quickly. Each day the dealer ship says they are sending another temp tag. But they don't Impartial Service Group could not be nicer. They got a 3 way phone call with the manager of the dealership. He , the manager , said he'd be right on it. HMMMMMMMMMMMM. Nice to hear from you. Good luck with the sale of your other Jeep. I will stay in touch. It has been 7 weeks and no paperwork. Went to the DMV and they have nothing filed. This has been a nightmare since October, 2006. I am too old for this. LOL LOL Hamchamp
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    twocycle2: I just got finished owning a CRD by way of ISG. It new was discounted to 26900 and 1k rebate equipped the same as your red one. I you will look back in my posts you will see that I did enjoy the vehicle. I have looked around for a certified copy of mine to no avail. This would be your best bet (certified) because of the warranty. When after numerous tow trips the tow truck driver new me by my nick name it was time to let it go back.
    Yes yes yes! Mine did that around 40 mph. It then died as in dead. Had to be towed away. EGR? Electrical? No code left on cel!
    farout: Thanks for the info again! My CRD is now gone to meet its maker.
    Hello farout and campyman and all others thanks for your posts and information concerning the lib crd. My old CRD has returned to its maker literally and physically. Thats all I can say about it. Thanks farout! I looked high and low for a replacement vehicle. The GC with Mercedes diesel kept turning up on my list but I was with campyman's post on the price until they announced the rebate for it. I decided that I would spend a little more for the Jeep GC CRD rather than comprising with a smaller motor straining to pull the a/c year round and struggling to tow the trailer or giving up at the pump to operate the typical V8. 20 MPG on first tank second tank the same but sat in the mother of all traffic jams after the shuttle launch, seems that others had the same idea last Friday night for entertainment. I saw plates from entire USA. 875 miles on first drive 3 hours of extreme traffic on just under two tanks (40 gals+-) with fulltime allwheel drive. Love it, well, be seeing ya on the GC CRD forum. Post Script: I do miss the clatter of the libby crd. If I goose the GC CRD just right you can almost tell its a diesel. :shades:
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    coolrider;

SOme of your lingo is over my head. Can you fill in what "By way of ISG" means? And where exactly did your CRD go and how and why?

ANd now you have a Grand Cherokee with a diesel sourced from Mercedes? And it's a LOT quieter than the Liberty?

Your liberty CRD struggled to tow a trailer? How big of a trailer? You;'re in Fla? How much do these JGC diesels cost? Is this the same as the JGC CRD?
    2cycle;

Thanks much for the feedback. I do agree these are WAY overpriced. THe dealer said "we've got the market cornered on diesel Liberties in California." SO they think they can get away with gouging. We'll see. They've got about 8 of em there right now and I think the lowest price is an 05 with about 40,000 miles for $27K. I wont pay 31 or 32 for a used Liberty that's for sur. It remains tobe seen if anyone will.

I share your concern about getting the Lib CRD fixed when broke. Even more so here in California where they surely dont train the techs oin a vehicle that isnt imported into the state as a new car.

Too bad yours is gone - I might have bought it! :>)
    jeyhoe: Independent Service Group handles the repurchase/exchange for DC. It was bought back by DiamlerChrysler. It was the result of issues similar to the ones that "farout" described, enough said. Yes I cannot discuss the details of it. Yes it is so quite that I miss the clatter, not. My liberty never struggled to pull a trailer, I was referring to the 4 & 6 cyls of the gas variety. Next answer, there is only one Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. No longer called by the CRD name just 3.0 Diesel which is CRD in design and is still a turbo diesel. BTW it does come from the factory with bio-diesel in the tank.
    You are not far from the price of the new JGC LTD diesel base model $38800. with the rebate $2500. and a good dealer discount. All of you with problem liberty (s) look at the numbers. I don't believe this true Mercedes Benz diesel engine will be any problem. I know that the torque and economy is great and which one I want in my driveway when it goes out of warranty. It comes with bio-diesel from the factory.
    The Impartial Service Group handled, handles, our replacement vehicle. We just got the 2nd 30 day set of paper tags from the dealer. I am keeping my old 'special' tags but don't have the paperwork as of yet. We took possession of the new truck on 4/27/07. If I was giving any advise out, even if you have the cash on hand to pay the difference between what ISG pays and you pay, don't pay in cash. If I would have taken a small loan out from the bank, the 'bank' would have the title alot sooner than I. I don't think any 'bank' would let it go over 30 days. They would own it until I paid it off. I gave them cash, and they still haven't filed with the DMV. I think ISG cut the check today, so I would give it two more weeks. Just a suggestion. Hamchamps wife.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    For those of you who are having trouble with the cruise control, have you had the F37 recall performed? If so, the problem may lie therein. Part of the F37 recall re-programmed the TCM and the cruise control circuit works with the TCM as well as the engine controller. Something with the re-programming may have messed up how the cruise control works. The reason I am making this suggestion is that when I last visited the dealer I purchased my CRD from, the service writer saw that I had had the F37 recall performed. He asked me if the trans was shifting properly and something about the cruise control too. He stated that some of the re-programming involved with F37 was not taking properly to some of the controller modules.
    Thanks for the clarification, coolrider. Unfortunately as a California resident, I'm a long way from a JGC diesel since its illegal to sell them here. That's why I'm looking at used LibCRDs and that's why the dealer thinks they can get away with price gouging cause the Lib CRD is rare as hens teeth in Cal.
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    had some tranny issues after f 37,was related to module and they replaced the O/D shift solenoidthey had a hard time reprogramming the computer but it is working deent now.
    What I find so hypocritical about the CARB rules is that you can purchase any diesel car with more than 7500 miles on it, virtually brand new. What makes this so crazy is that if it is illegal to buy when brand spanking new because it is a diesel powered car, that same car then suddenly becomes CA emissions compliant/legal with more than 7500 miles on it. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    What? You're expecting something logical from those tree-huggering idiots (MHO) at CARB? After all, they're the people who gave us MTBE in the gas. Brilliant mids, those.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I keep up reasonably well with autos and what's happening, but the first I heard of the JGC CRD was on this board. That might be just the ticket for me, but I gotta wait til someone in Nevada or Arizona buys one and it ends up back on the market for whatever reason.

And usually I consider a real low mileage used car to be a little suspect. I mean what pushes a person to accept all that depreciation in a few mos or a year? How bad would a car have to be to do that to a person? :confuse: I suppose many are repos but the best of those would be picked off by FORs wouldn't they? (Friends Of the Repo-man) :shades: .

And these stupid CARB (California Air Resources Board) rules make buying a Liberty CRD a much dicier proposition here becasuse they're so rare, the mechanics dont even know em. If folks in Missouri have trouble getting a CRD fixed, what chance do I have in California? I dont know if this is a showstopper for me, but it is a big concern.
    Wow, and to think that that I always thought that socal would be a second pick for a place to live. I guess that you can't go to nevada and buy one either for registration issues. Relatives? Probably not worth the trouble. I have sold another on diesels. I mentioned to my daughter that the Jetta she has been looking at is available in diesel form and she bought a new TDI, actually a leftover 2006 model since vw did not have a 2007 TDI. In Jan 2008 vw will have the new bluetec TDI (ie JGC CRD bluetec) for 50 states and the Jeep CRD should be as well in 2008. I have been taking the long way home to spend a few more miles with the JGC CRD which getting better everyday and producing the 2wd epa numbers! :shades:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think you are the first to own a GC diesel here on Edmund's. If you would post your impressions and mileage it would be very helpful. That is one of the vehicles I am interested in buying. I started a thread in April with no response.

Post in gagrice, "Grand Cherokee CRD diesel" #1, 20 Apr 2007 4:14 pm
    After the F-37 and other recalls, it took them 110 days to fix our Jeep CRD 2005 23K. CRD did do a replacement. hamchamp
  • jcscrdjcscrd Member Posts: 4
    33k 2005 CDR...well the check engine light is coming on for a few days then going off for a day, then back on. has anyone had this problem? I think it may be the EGR thing again. :lemon:
    Get it fixed before you reach 36K Just a suggestion hamchamp
  • jcscrdjcscrd Member Posts: 4
    what happens at 36k?
  • mdamickmdamick Member Posts: 277
    They don't fix it for free anymore.
    Have just over 13k miles on my 06 CRD and the yellow engine light has been a random freak since about 4k. Dealer says nothing is wrong, manual says it has something to do the fuel system.
    Dealer says nothing is wrong, manual says it has something to do the fuel system.

I think you need to find a new dealer and service department who gives a damn. A random yellow check engine light is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I will wager that the EGR valve is on the verge of failing.
    I remember reading a while back that someone had cleaned the boost sensor.Can someone tell me exactly how to do that?I also have been purging air from the fuel filter on a weekly basis and find there is quite a bit of air accumulating.going to trace the fuel lines and check for loose fittings.Gas guage has now started to do its own thing.When reaching a quarter tank it will drop to E and get my little gas light,then after a while it goes back to accurate reading.Any thoughts before I go back to the dealer,the service guys all know me by name now,I could probably get a job there.
  • flyingdutchmflyingdutchm Member Posts: 2
    This is my first post on this forum, although I have read it extensively over the last year or so and have found it very usefull.

Here is my problem. I have a 06 CRD (built in Feb/March)with 23k mi. Generaly the car has been great and we have had no problems except for one thing. Three times now the car has experienced a complete loss of power. The engine sounds like it is stumbling (sort of like a gas engine with the wrong firing order) and the car will barely crawl along. The first 2 times we stopped, pulled over, and after looking for spilled guts the 1st time and finding nothing wrong, it then started right back up and went on it's merrry way. I took it straight to the dealer, but there were no codes and they could find nothing wrong. This happened again a week ago and this time it did not start up right away but did 40 minutes later with out anything showing up wrong (I drove straight to the nearest dealer as we were away from home). Both dealers have certified diesel mechanics neither could find anything.

Has anyone else experience anything like this. It is a particularly unpleasant experience in traffic. I did read on this forum that this could be related to problems with the ESP programs in all liberties. Any suggestions?
  • budsjpbudsjp Member Posts: 25
    Your problem sounds exactly like mine that turned out to be a faulty wiring harness - kept shorting out - but would not show it and would somehow reinvent itself in time. Test: Have the engine running and jiggle the harness - if it goes out, it is probably a short there. Once replaced I have had no problems in over 10k miles.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    An inspection of the wiring harness on my CRD some time ago revealed wiring that is substandard compared to other Chrysler and non Chrysler products I have owned. There are places where the outer wrap is open on the top and closed on the bottem in such a way as to potentially trap water or condensate in rain or fog. I have not had the problem you describe Flyingdutchm, but It would not surprise me if it happened due to this or other flaws. I have not looked at other new vehicles lately to see if this is a trend in wiring manufacture.
    I believe there may be a bulletin issued reference the wirirng harness.one of my invoices stated to check a harness,not sure which one,but they did replace it.cleaned the boost sensor last night and it was gummed solid with carbon,seems to have made a difference but will know more today.
    gagrice: Check out the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Option thread, it's great btw just under 1k, 20.2, A/C on, 95% hum, 93F so far with Quadra II that's fulltime 4x4 for you 4x2er's. Diesel 40 cetane :( , @ 2.70.9 gal. Wish I could find some 50+ cetane.
    I think you would be well advised to read this entire post/thread on the CRD and hope that the lemon law is still an option for you if needed. Just remember that not all states are so restrictive as 12/12,000. Some have no milage restrictions only time. Good Luck
    Had the same problem twice (randy_ray, "Jeep Liberty Diesel" #9155, 8 Jun 2007 2:03 pm) but no help from dealer.
    amen :shades:
    Keep your fingers crossed. Mine new harness did not last that long.
    Thanks for the education. I had obviously heard of CA's "CARB" but did not have any idea of the sheer lack of common sense practiced by them. I agree that 7500mi is lunacy. I will let you know that vw's new tdi is due in 1/08 and 50 state compliant. Is the Mercedes diesel available new in CA? My new JGC CRD is supposed to be a copy of the bluetech in the Mercedes and the same as the new vw tdi thats coming soon.
  • zoomy2zoomy2 Member Posts: 50
    The computer has Windows software.(Sorry I wouldn't help it) My parents Olds Diesel would do the same thing, they had a fuel pump problem. The Old Delta 88 would only go about 20 mph. There was dirt in the pump, this came from the fuel they would buy a truck stops cause there just wasn't may places to fill-up. The did get around 31 MPG out of that big car. Today's higher tolerances parts may not like the fuel you are using, maybe not enough lubricity and the injector pins bind in their bores causing a misfire. Change the fuel filter and try a different brand of Diesel.

I got 28.9 MPG after 44,000!!!! The best tank driving at 58 MPH.

When does the timing belt need changed? This I think drives the fuel injector pump...
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Jeyhoe: We did almost everything to get the "Green Beast" to stay out of the service bay. We wanted the diesel for several reasons, which we had to rethink after the CDR was bought back. They seem to have dome little or nothing with it so far.
    We like the Compass. However the 2.4 L engine with the CVT will never have the pep and power that the Neons had. The compass does not do well with the 10% ethonal gas. We get 21.3 with the 10% blend and 25.6 on the 100% gas. So I have no idea why it does so poor on 10% blend.
    As for the CRD's there are a good number for sale on e-bay motors. So if someone is looking for one there is a supply, and they all can't be bad. What really killed our CRD was the F-37 recall, it never ran worth a tinkers dam after that was done.
    I f you are considering a Patriot, when you add the Trail Rated package and make it well equiped the price comes out about the same as a 3.7 Liberty. So you just might reconsider what you expect and want to do with the SUV.

farout