Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• 1blueskies1blueskies Member Posts: 3
    Took my car into a mechanic to find out why when the car is warmed up. I mean getting on the freeway for a 30 mile drive then getting off and the car will not shift into overdrive. Sometimes when I come to a stoplite and go it will still be into high gear. I will start off very slow then come up to speed again. The first time it was blamed on engine performance. So I had the sparkplugs replaced. I had 108k miles so I knew I was due. Same problem. Money spent that didn't fix the :lemon: problem. Was recommended at the time that an error code for the NOX sensor to be replaced. Didn't do it. Took the car back and had the NOX sensor replaced. Cost money due to the labor involved. But guess what? It fixed the problem. The NOX sensor will tell the onboard computer when to shift up and down. The Lexus has a very computer controlled car. So now I hope to get another 100k on the car. Hope this info helps everyone. Thought the transmission was slipping but the fluid looked good. No burnt smell(sulfur, stinging or tingling when smelling), no gritty feeling when I rubbed theoil between my fingers, color pink and not orange. I knew that the transmission wasn't running hot or had malfunctions. That's called "Old School." Hey Lexus! It's a car not a fighter jet!!!
    Read my post on the 1999 ES 300. l started to freak out but it was the NOX causing the problem. It tell the computer when to tell the transmission to [non-permissible content removed].
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    NOX = engine knock/ping sensor...???
    1 17176-6230 GASKET, AIR SURGE TA $17.76
    1 17177-20020 GASKET, INTAKE MANIF $36.37
    1 17178-20020 GASKET, INTAKE MANIF $34.93
    1 00272-1LLAC-01 ANTIFREEZE GALLON W $29.92
    2 89615-12040 SENSOR KNOCK CONTROL $353.32
    1 16492-21050 RING, O RADIATOR $5.38
    1 82219-07010 WIRE, SENSOR $35.42
    The wiring harness looked a little funky so I went for the $35.42. If it went bad later then alot of labor would be involved so I told him to go ahead.
    When getting off the freeway now it shifts to O drive with no problems. At 75MPH the tack now reads approx. 2700. Before, I wouldn't do that speed on the freeway with the problem I had. Getting on the freeway with my old problem would show ma at 50MPH approx.32-3300 rpm. So I would just get off and take streets home. I would have to drive the car very slowly to keep everything healthy, about 35MPH at 2500 RPM. With 108,000 miles on the car I hope to get another 108,000. I hope all this helps. What a nice running car (again!). The problem was computer feedback from the sensor. It was explained to me how the computer in the car works but after a while it got confusing...Good Luck.
  • gracesgraces Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the trans. on a 97 ES 300 that I bought 3 weeks ago. It looks brand new and it rode very well. A check engine lite came on and I took it to get checked out and I was told I needed a new trans. but that everything else was fine. I paid 3800 for it. I was talking to a family member about it and I was told that I shouldn't have gotten it replaced. I am a new grad with a mortgage and didn't want a car note so I thought if its a good car than Its worth it. Was it worth it or was it a foolish decsion?
  • jbar25jbar25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I was wondering were you can get an NOX sensor and how much it cost i'm working with the same problem thanks my personal email is uscgfedops@yahoo.com thanks sooo much...Jerry
  • shawty24shawty24 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1993 lexus es300 whenever the car is cool i can drive it and it runs perfect you shift it into gear like drv or rev and you can feel the pull because its going into gear ( automatic trans) Now the issue is when the car warms up and is at the temp its supposed to be at when you put it in gear or rev or press on the gas it doesnt go no wear you cant even feel it shift anymore ...help
  • unclejohn46unclejohn46 Member Posts: 1
    just purchased used 2005 es330 w/ 48000m, no warranty, record shows transmission was calibrated at 30,000- still experience hesitation in acceleration at low speeds & poor gas mileage even w/ premium gas- can anything be done to help ?
  • carguyrykercarguyryker Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

We have a 1996 ES300 with the 3.0L V6, and have experienced problems in the past, and recently with the transmission:

at about 70,000 miles it started not shifting into any gears above 2nd. We had to have a new Toyota tranny put in, and then a year later it did it again.
    Just today it started acting up again, but this time its running 1st all the way up to about 4000 rpms, then shifting hard into second, and then its fine throughout the rest of the gears. I drove it about 100 miles home today, and at every stop light it did that, regardless of the overdrive. I think that the plates between 1st and 2nd are sticking, but i dont know much about transmissions. This is really making me mad, and im thinking of selling the car. I love the Lexus's, but im questioning Toyota's late 90's and even early 2000's trannys. Is this problem common among 2001+ RX300's too? Or do they run a different transmission? And to any potential buyers be sure and beware of these mechanical problems, although the 3.0 liter v6 is a great engine.
  • carguyrykercarguyryker Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

We have a 1996 ES300 with the 3.0L V6, and have experienced problems in the past, and recently with the transmission:

at about 70,000 miles it started not shifting into any gears above 2nd. We had to have a new Toyota tranny put in, and then a year later it did it again.
    Just today it started acting up again, but this time its running 1st all the way up to about 4000 rpms, then shifting hard into second, and then its fine throughout the rest of the gears. I drove it about 100 miles home today, and at every stop light it did that, regardless of the overdrive. I think that the plates between 1st and 2nd are sticking, but i dont know much about transmissions. This is really making me mad, and im thinking of selling the car. I love the Lexus's, but im questioning Toyota's late 90's and even early 2000's trannys. Is this problem common among 2001+ RX300's too? Or do they run a different transmission? And to any potential buyers be sure and beware of these mechanical problems, although the 3.0 liter v6 is a great engine.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I love the Lexus's, but im questioning Toyota's late 90's and even early 2000's trannys. Is this problem common among 2001+ RX300's too? Or do they run a different transmission? And to any potential buyers be sure and beware of these mechanical problems, although the 3.0 liter v6 is a great engine.

Funny, I have 86000 miles on my 96 ES. The transmission is and has been fine, but the engine blew up and just required a complete rebuild. So, I'm not sure that 3.0L is so great. When the thermostat fails, they over heat and blow the heads up.

So, I guess, my conclusion is: the car is great, except for the engine and the transmission......
  • revsrevs Member Posts: 5
    I am not a mechanic but I noticed that my car idles (the car is shaking) when stationary and in the drive gear, As soon as I switch it to neutral the idling stops?

The other day my husband drove the car and when he stepped on the brakes the car didn't want to stop and was idling badly? Very dangerous!

The throttle position sensor for this car was replaced in 2006 because the transmission was not shifting properly into gear and lunging forward after putting into drive.

What could be the problem, now?
  • lburnett005lburnett005 Member Posts: 2
    AM EXPERIENCING EXACT SAME PROB WITH MY ES 300 1993 LEXUS. DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT CAUSES THIS. IS THE TRANSMISSION BAD OR IS IT ELECTRICAL. IF I TURN THE CAR OFF AND RESTART IT IMMEDIATELY IT WILL RUN AND SHIFT AGAIN SMOOTHLY UNTIL IT REACHES NORM TEMP ON GAUGE.
  • lburnett005lburnett005 Member Posts: 2
    1993 LEXUS ES300-OVERHEATED-REPLACED THERMOSTAT. DID NOT REGISTER OVERHEATING BUT WAS FORCING FLUID INTO OVERFLOW & OUT. REPLACED BOTH PRESSURE CAPS. SEEMED TO RUN FINE. DROVE 100 MILES TO INDIANAPOLIS & HOSE BETWEEN RADIATOR & SECOND CAP SPLIT-REPLACED ALSO REPLACED SECOND PRESSURE CAP AGAIN. ON THE WAY HOME NEXT DAY, RPMS DROPPED WHILE ON HIGHWAY WITHOUT WARNING AND WOULD NOT GO INTO GEAR. TEMP GAUGE WAS NORMAL. TURNED, OFF CAR & RESTARTED--THEN WHEN REACHED NORMAL OPERATING TEMP--NO TRANSMISSION AGAIN. TURNED CAR OFF AND IMMEDIATELY RESTARTED, TRANSMISSION WORKED AGAIN, SMOOTHLY TIL REACHING OPERATING TEMP AGAIN. WHEN A TRANSMISSION GOES OUT, ISN'T IT JUST OUT? HELP?
    Sounds as if you engine is "struggling" to run in idle mode. That might result in low engine vacuum for brake power BOOST.

Have someone check the idle air bypass system and if that's okay then suspect a burned intake valve.

With a '99 I would vote for a clogged idle air bypass port/channel. Once it's cleaned out disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so to force the engine ECU to more quickly learn/adjust to the new free flowing idle air bypass.
    You MAY have a manifold gasket leak that is allowing fuel combustion pressures into the coolant system.

"..both pressure caps.."

Only the cap on the radiator should be of the pressure type.

ATF cooling loop within the radiator leaking..??

Did you by chance initially type this post on a 33ASR teletype..??
  • firbirdfirbird Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 Lexus ES330 and have had it since day 1, and it has always had a hesitation and "kicking"" into gear issue, more pronounced now that the car is at 80,000 miles.

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information and number of Lexus owners that have this issue and no resolution has been found.

I think we need to organize a grass-roots campaign and go to the top if need be to get this issue out in the open and addressed. Maybe we should enlist the media. Anyone have any ideas/contacts?
  • jlatkojlatko Member Posts: 1
    I just read the complaint about an ES and the "Rumble Strip" sensation at certain speeds. This is NOT! normal. If other makes do the same thing, then they also have faulty transmissions. I noticed that problem on my 2008 ES350 almost immediately after purchasing it. It happened very randomly, which can be a nightmare to convey to a technician. Fortunately, my dealership {HIghland Park Lexus) never even questioned me about it. They were aware of problems with this transmission and immediately recommended a new one. 20,000 miles later the trans is working fine and I have never had another rumbling incident. It seems like other Lexus dealerships need to take a lesson from Highland Park in customer satisfaction. The main reason why I would still consider buying a 5th Lexus is the way they handled that situation. Remember, if you suspect something is not the way it should be, chances are that something is wrong. Don't let some confusing high tech explanation cloud the issue. It's not rocket science.
  • lexustech1lexustech1 Member Posts: 4
    Lexus publishes TSIB=technical service information bulletins.The problem with your car was a torque converter issue which happens at certain rpms.If you had gone to any Lexus dealer they would have had the info to have helped you.
    You should go to your dealership and have the computer reflashed.The programming in the transmission needs to be updated.
    If the transmission has been reflashed I would go back to the dealer and tell them your still having transmission issues.They have to replace the transaxle if they refuse.I would call Lexus the number will be in your owners manual or the dealership can provide it.05 ES330 is under warranty under the Lexus 7yrs/70,000 mile powertrain warranty.
    The problems the ES350 are very minor as in a nuisance.The wind noise can be repaired without an issue.The knock noise from engine is normal noise from a timing chain driven vehicle and it only happens at cold start.It's a little rattle cause of no oil in the starting process on the chain.All transmission issues are small and can be handled usually in your first visit to the dealership.The interior rattle noise can also be taken care of in one visit.You have to think of it this way it all depends where in the country your at can affect your vehicle and Lexus is aware of the issue and trying everything to provide repairs.I am a Lexus Tech and trust me all of our customers love their Lexus.
  • revsrevs Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your message. Can this also cause the battery to die. I have not driven my car for 1 month and the battery was dead. My husband jump started the car. It seems OK now. Notice too that I have to press my remote key several times and hard to lock and unlock the car.

Terri
  • longtimedriverlongtimedriver Member Posts: 2
    Further to lexustech1 comments... and maybe he/she has some advice for me...

I bought my used 2005 in Nov 2008 with only 50k. I was impressed with Lexus for all of about 1 week, when I realized the transmission hesitation was not about me. I took it into the dealer and was asked if I was the primary driver, and that it needed to learn my style of driving. Well that impressed me too, never heard of such a thing, but fool me twice… shame on me. After 5k of just me, the damn car had learned nothing. When I brought the car in AGAIN, as if they had never heard of this problem before, they told me reprogramming will fix the transmission problem I was having. I asked twice, will this fix the problem and the service guy said it will be like driving a new car. The dealer flashed and reprogrammed the computer ($150 charge to me) and guess what, it never got better and now at 80k, its even worst. Every time I come to a rolling stop and then start to move forward, as in heavy traffic or 2nd to 3rd gear, it will jump down to 1st gear first and then surge back to 3rd gear. The car will jerk very uncomfortably and there is nothing I can do to prevent it. I don’t know about you but when the transmission jerks like this it is not normal. No new or old car will do this. I could get a whiplash driving this car. I am very very disappointed with Lexus. They have done nothing to address this problem. I was there for this problem inside my 7yr 70k timeperiod, but they obviously tricked me a third time......This is my first and last Lexus and Lexus Dealership.
  • longtimedriverlongtimedriver Member Posts: 2
    Further to lexustech1 comments... and maybe he/she has some advice for me...

I bought my used 2005 in Nov 2008 with only 50k. I was impressed with Lexus for all of about 1 week, when I realized the transmission hesitation was not about me. I took it into the dealer and was asked if I was the primary driver, and that it needed to learn my style of driving. Well that impressed me too, never heard of such a thing, but fool me twice… shame on me. After 5k of just me, the damn car had learned nothing. When I brought the car in AGAIN, as if they had never heard of this problem before, they told me reprogramming will fix the transmission problem I was having. I asked twice, will this fix the problem and the service guy said it will be like driving a new car. The dealer flashed and reprogrammed the computer ($150 charge to me) and guess what, it never got better and now at 80k, its even worst. Every time I come to a rolling stop and then start to move forward, as in heavy traffic or 2nd to 3rd gear, it will jump down to 1st gear first and then surge back to 3rd gear. The car will jerk very uncomfortably and there is nothing I can do to prevent it. I don’t know about you but when the transmission jerks like this it is not normal. No new or old car will do this. I could get a whiplash driving this car. I am very very disappointed with Lexus. They have done nothing to address this problem. I was there for this problem inside my 7yr 70k timeperiod, but they obviously tricked me a third time......This is my first and last Lexus and Lexus Dealership.
  • percyapercya Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 es300 w/21,500 actual miles on Friday. Drove resaonably well until coming backfrom Breckenridge in mts outside of Denver. Went to accelerate and the car "clunked/jumped' stuttered. Violent and pronounced action that scared the bejesus out of wife and passengers. I have read most of the posts here. I truly like all about the car except this serious issue. Can it be fixed or should I just take it to Stevenson Lexus and demand no sale (if possible)
    Also, I can buy an extended warranty. I have not seen info re: if these trannys just eventually fall apart/out or what I should expect, so was wondering if I cant get $$ back would it be advisable to purchase said warranty? Any info you can give me would be great. Thanks.
  • matti2matti2 Member Posts: 1
    I have Lexus ES 300, after driving it for five miles it starts slowing down , and then it stops. the trans. it doenst engage. i have changed oil serviced transmission, changed coolant. but the problem is still there. is there any way to fix.
  • sbandysbandy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Lexus ES300 Premium. Never experienced any transmission problem until last year when I noticed a distinct hesitation. It went away automatically after a few days. Reported it to the dealer who said that I had a dirty air intake valve and cleaning it will fix ithe problem. Apparently it did. This weekend, I noticed serious hesitation and then the car stalled. Would not take any gear - reverse, neutral or drive. Had the car towed to the dealer who says that I need a new transmission. The estimate is $5,000 which is more than the blue book value of the car! Any advice anyone?
  • unhappyes300unhappyes300 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Lexus ES, and have had a problem with the car jerking during acceleration and deceleration ever since they upgraded the software. Lexus calls it a "characteristic" of the car. When calling customer support, you have to wait 15 minutes for a person to answer, and then continue to claim there is nothing wrong with the car. The mechanic told me this is a common problem. Was anyone able to get theirs fixed, or some kind of resolution with Lexus factory?
  • ssdasssdas Member Posts: 1
    I noticed recently on my 2005 80K car that when i start going above 40-50 miles an hour the RPM goes up to between 2-3 thousand and only comes back to just slightly below 2000 RPM when i get up to speed.It seems like its not shifting into the higher gears. Anyone having similar issues? would this be covered by the power train warrranty?
  • 2lexusfamily2lexusfamily Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

I just joined here this evening because my wife's 2009 ES350 has the transmission software issue. I happened upon your message: I have a 1996 ES300 which I bought in 2000 which I am in love with! Over 200,000 kilometers and I'm happy!

I had that seat leather seam sewn before it got too bad. I never had a seat belt issue but I understand they are indeed common. From day one, I thought the transmission was odd, but that's only when it's cold. Once warm, no problem. The sunroof leaks a tiny bit in high-power "touch-less" car washes, but's that's it.

Pls fix that seat and keep up with all repairs.....that car is a bloody marvel of engineering. I've heard of '96's flipping end over end at highway speeds and the driver walking away! (I'm a retired cop).

I'm holding out for 500,000 km, myself.

Have a nice day, ok?
  • 2lexusfamily2lexusfamily Member Posts: 2
    You're right!

I never get to hear my old lady's 2009 ES350 in the cold a.m. but my '96 ES300 ain't happy until it's warm.

Once we all warm up, no problem

Except for that hiccup in the wife's transmission that supposedly needs a software upgrade. Problem is, I can't find anyone addressing that problem. Have looked all over ...will now reboot and try again.

And you're right....we love both our cars!
  • singhesinghe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 ES300. The vehicle shut-down on the road and would not get back into gear. I found a blown charging system fuse, replaced it,disconnected the battery, and started the car. Still no transmission shift and no engine light. Hooked it up to an hand held computer: it reponded "pass" with no codes. Any ideas what to do next?
  • singhesinghe Member Posts: 2
    I have exactly the same prob: pls see my post of earlier today. How did you resolve your issue?
  • hrtbrkcafehrtbrkcafe Member Posts: 2
    this is 17 years old car...its time to buy another one...
  • sbandysbandy Member Posts: 2
    The dealer was surprisingly nice and offered to pick up half the cost. I called Lexus HQ in California and complained that the 2000 ES Series had the Camry transmission instead of the regular Lexus. They picked up the other half of the cost. Still I had to pay for labor which was about $2000.

Continued to have problems since the engine light was coming on. Took it back to dealer who cleaned out the pan for free (still under service warranty). Runs fine now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am not sure that I will buy a Lexus again.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    edited January 2011
    Based on the experience of an 11 year old car? You're assuming they are same now as then? The old ES300 was only a jazzed up Camry to start with. I had a 1996, the engine had to be rebuilt at 80,000 miles, which I wasn't thrilled with, but it was the fault of the thermostat, which froze and overheated the engine. Other than that, only minor issues ever happened. Sold it last year at 102,000 miles, and was still happy with it. But my 2009 LS is so improved, I'm not likely to switch any time soon.
  • steverino813steverino813 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 es300 automatic. When I first start it, it will slide into gear. After a few minutes of going back n forth in my driveway it will only engage if i get the rpms higher, reverse gear better then drive. Then after that, it doesn't engage any gear. There was no warning signs for this prob. No gear crunching or any adverse sounds at all, it just started acting like this one day. My car has 160k miles on it. I bought it used, so i don't know the history of the car. Any advice out there as to what this may be? I did a trans fluid flush and that did nothing.
  • wme2wme2 Member Posts: 5
    These were the same symptons that were on my 2001 rx300. I also flushed the trans. and 3 months later my trans was shot. I also own a 1998 es300 with 140K mi. I had a full tune up, timeing belt and trans flush at 107,000. I may change the trans fluid again. My es runs great no problems.
  • wme2wme2 Member Posts: 5
    Looks like my time was up. On Mon. Feb 28, my CEL came on and my wife said the car hesitated when she was stopped at a stop sign. I took it straight to my mechanic. He said that the 2 shift solenoids were bad. He replaced them and changed the trans fluid for $500.
    ATF refill too high...?
    edited March 2011
    Again, make sure the ATF isn't overfilled.

Overfilled, and once it grows in volume due to rising heat it might begin to be stirred, FROTHED, by contact with the rotating gear train. It's hard to maintain the downstream (of the pump/relief valve) pressurization of ATF that is highly "contaminated" with millions of "tiny bubbles".

Not that your 2001 RX300 wasn't due, even overdue, for a transaxle failure as a result of the direct mechainical coupling from the accelerator to the throttle.
  • lforbuslforbus Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I paid $350 to replace this sensor which the dealer said was causing the problem of my car cutting out while driving -- almost like it's holding it's breath for a couple of seconds.
    I drove 10 miles and it started doing the EXACT same thing. Turned around and took it back to the dealership. Guy calls me this morning being a smart butt. Anybody experienced this type of "cutting out" problem? Any suggestions?
  • diva2008diva2008 Member Posts: 10
    My friend owns a 1996 Lexus GS350 or ES350. His sunroof leaks but he has no idea where the water is coming from. The rubber is not worn, the gaskets are good but the water seeps through and absorbs itself into the interior roof and works its way towards the back. Any suggestions? Trying to help him get some answers.
    Are you by any chance talking about the (standard) 1-2 second re-acceleration delay/hesitation?

SOP.
  • jack_cotejack_cote Member Posts: 1
    replace the fuel filter.
    when you step on the gas it gasps but it idles fine.
  • bboylesbboyles Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My name is B Boyles and I have been reading all of the forum posts regarding the ES Transmission problems. I could not find out if any of the other members on this forum have had these problems with the ES 330 - 04 model. That is the year that I have. I thought that I was crazy thinking that it was just me with the hesitation of my transmission. Everything that I have read on here is exactly what I have been dealing with. I have taken it into Lexus and also Toyota many times and they also tell me that there is noting wrong with it. Often times it jerks when shifting or when you are slowing down coming to a stop. I also have the problem of it when getting on to the freeway. I now have a faint exhaust problem in the cab- when I have the AC on. It is enough to give me a migraine swell up my glands and also makes my hair and clothes smell bad. I took it into both Lexus and Toyota and they say there is nothing wrong with it - they said there is zero smell. Has anyone had this exhaust problem? I don't know what to do with the car.....I was thinking of getting a used vehicle - this car works for me since I have had a severe spinal fusion- the ride and seats are comfortable and they work for me......but not if I have to smell exhaust when I drive the car of turn on the AC. I don't know if anyone knows of a better car to try that has a similar ride in the comfort of this car. Any help that anyone can give me - I would really appreciate it so much. I have been offered a small trade in value for my car- I don't want to keep it if the Transmission is going to go out or possibly get me into an accident by having the terrible hesitation. For some reason Microsoft email does not work on my computer- that is why I went ahead and registered on here. I hope that I am able to communicate with others on this site. Thank you for your help.
    Sincerely, B Boyles
    As long as the climate is warm you can run the A/C system in recirculate wherein only a small portion of the system airflow is from outside.

But DO NOT use this method if the climate dictates the need for heat, too much danger of (sometimes SUDDEN[***]) windshield fogging due to the build-up of cabin Rh from human metabolism.

*** Thanks to the idiot design engineers at NipponDenso, Denso US.

PS: Is it truly exhaust you smell with A/C on or is it maybe the "leavings" of the microrobes that make up the mould and mildew "family"..?? Also a VERY common problem with the NipponDenso, Denso US, automatic climate control designs.

If the latter there is an aftermarket kit available that will intermittently run the A/C blower for up to an hour after ignition off in order to disperse the residual mosture, breeding "ground" for those microbes, remaining on the evaporator core.
    Hello- Thank you for the information on the ac. I do have it on the recirculate all of the time. Both the dealers of Lexus and Toyota say they smell nothing and they find nothing. It is a frustrating situation. I need to trade the car in and find somethings else that will last for me. After looking up many other cars - they all seem to have transmission problems-even the Avalon XLS and the Camry's. I appreciate your helpful information. Sincerely BBoyles