Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• wilmillwilmill Member Posts: 5
    I am leasing an ES300 and noticed the hesitation from day one. When I mentioned this, I was told the computer needed time to adjust. At the 1000Mi. check I was told there was nothing wrong. When I searched the Net and started reading about others with the same problem I confronted my dealer and was asked to bring it in for "The Fix". Well "The Fix" doesn't work and Lexus knows it doesn't work. I was offered a 330 to drive and the same hesitation is to be found. It seems to me that Lexus has been able to keep this fairly quiet, but it cannot last. I have a meeting scheduled for 9/29 to discuss what they intend to do to rectify my problem, but do not have any high hopes. This was my first Lexus and will be my last.
  • art53art53 Member Posts: 1
    I accidently bumped my arm rest with a ball point pen and now have about a two inch line of blue ink. I don't know how to remove. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    I've been told that hair spray works. Also seen it mentioned on other Edmund boards.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I test drove an ES 330 and it seemed fine…. what exactly is the problem. What should I look for?
  • lexusrocklexusrock Member Posts: 74
    "... Well 'The Fix' doesn't work [for es300] and Lexus knows it doesn't work. I was offered a 330 to drive and the same hesitation is to be found."

Are you saying the 'hesitation' occurs on es330 too. Can it be that they just added 'the fix' to es330 and claim problem solved?

I drive a 2003 es300 and actually it seems to do fine to me. When I merge into freeway it speeds up just fine. But then I don't pump it up to 70-80 right after merge and get to the leftest lane. Other than that it accelerates normally to me. How does one really test/sense the transmission problem (from which speed to which speed)?
    I notice the hesitation whenever I floor the accelerator at any speed. There is a noticeable lapse (maybe a full second) before the car responds. This is not the way an auto of this caliber should perform.
    Dealer told me that Lexsus simply took the 'feature' (automatic downshift in D in down hill) from 02/03's ES out in 330. So what you experienced may not be related to the 02/03 feature/fix, but simply part of ES transmission. I don't quite detect that in my 300 tho.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    What you said in the last post hits the nail on the head and completely concurs with Toyota's bottom line on the ES300/ES330 transmission. That is whatever symptom the driver feels is "part of the ES3X0 transmission".

It is not a feature, it is not universally a problem, it is just a transmission design that SOME owners don't like (or so goes the Toyota company line)!!!

If Toyota does not acknowledge a feature or a problem, then there is no way they can say they removed the feature or problem it in a later model. So, I think your dealer's statement was misleading in that the statement implied that Lexus/Toyota deliberately fixed the ES330.

I believe the best that concerned ES330 potential owners can do is wait for more reports on the ES330 transmission to come through on this board and in other publications and owner forums. If potential owners must make a more timely decision, then I recommend trying to repeat the symptoms described on ES300 boards on thorough test drives of the ES330.

If you already own an ES330, don't go looking for transmission trouble. If you don't feel a problem thank your lucky stars, because if you do feel one, there is no indication that the odds of it being "fixed" are high. For the past 2+ years, Toyota has remained steadfast on their view that the transmission works per design, and I don't see them changing that view anytime soon.
    My dealer had previously admitted the problem (Hesitation when accelerator is floored) to me and said he was awaiting word from Lexus on how they were going to resolve the problem. Last Friday, after returning from a meeting with Lexus on the West Coast he stated that as far as Lexus was concerned, the car was performing as designed. I have filed a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/, The Center for Auto Safety: http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php and Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=719&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=703&bmUID=1065148507227.
     The only way we are going to get relief from Lexus is to let them know that they cannot solve a problem by saying that there isn't one. If anyone else feels this way, contact the above entities.
    I agree that we owners who feel the symptom MUST do as you and others are doing - complain at every opportunity.

But I also think that a realistic view might be in order. The hardest thing for those of us who feel the problem to accept is that our experience is NOT universal. It depends on the driver. And, it doesn't matter whether the driver is a dealer rep or not. Some dealer reps will acknowledge the problem and others won't, just as some owners acknowledge the symptom and others don't. This is why the dealers stories are so inconsistent, not because Lexus is lying or the dealers are lying.

In a sense, those owners who don't acknowledge a problem are problematic for those of us who do. Those owners who think everything is hunky dory are contributing to metrics that go into Lexus decision to do something about it or not.

Quite frankly, my biggest pet peeve is those owners (no offense, lenscap and kreativ) who claim that every thing is hunky dory and then run to the dealer to have the "fix" installed!! Not only are they not providing an incentive for Lexus to fix the problem, they are actually discouraging Lexus from doing a fix. After all, if 1/4 of the owners complain, Lexus has to face the issue of investing in "fixing" the other 3/4 of the owners cars; owners who were satisfied in the first place. So, why should Lexus fix anything if 3/4 are satisfied?

My posts are NOT to defend Lexus, but rather to help provide potential owners a realistic view of what might happen if they buy the car.

They may or may not feel the problem, period. If they do feel the problem, they are unlikely to get a resolution any time soon.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I’m considering the purchase of a new 2004 ES 330. The dealer has told me the transmission problem has been resolved and is no longer an issue.

I drove the car and it seemed to have a bit of hesitation at all speeds when compared to an Acura TL but otherwise felt normal. It felt similar to a V-6 Camry.

Perhaps the Acura TL is designed to be more of a performance vehicle and therefore is tuned differently.

Does anyone know if the transmission problem has been corrected? Can anyone confirm or deny the dealers statement?

Thanks....
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I hope you guys are doing more than just complaining to the dealership, because I can assure you that will get you no where. The dealers can't do anything about it. I would suggest you write:

Customer Satisfaction Technical Manager
    Lexus
    11540 Great Oaks Way
    Alpharetta, GA 30022

Then write:

Automotive Design Editor
    Automobile
    120 East Liberty St.
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Road Test Editor
    Car and Driver
    2002 Hogback Rd.
    Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Editor
    Motor Trend
    5420 Wilshire Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90048

Engineering Editor
    Road & Track
    1499 Monrovia Ave
    Newport Beach, CA 92663

Be sure and copy Lexus with each letter. I'll work up a new list to write later. We have to pound on Lexus because they flat refuse to fix the tranny. They tell me there is not a thing wrong with it. I've been so mad I call them frequently to tell them how I feel. I'd like to give out names, but the Host advised me not to do that. If it makes you feel good then complain all you want, but we all need to do something to make this hit Lexus in the pocket book. They won't take action until it does. This is more than a clunking noise in the engine, I feel it's a safety hazard. When you need power and can't rely on the car, it can get you in trouble. I would suggest you mention it's a safety hazard in your letters.
  • jragostajragosta Member Posts: 26
    Many of the recent complaints have nothing to do with the reported transmission problems on the 03 models. There are two reported problems:

1. Transmission problem. In some circumstances and for some drivers, there will be a delay in shifting and the engine will race to >4000 rpm before the transmission downshifts (hard!). This acts like major transmission slippage and then a hard shift. So far, I haven't seen a single report of this problem with the new ES330.

2. Hesistation when you step on the gas (fraction of a second). This appears to be related to the drive by wire feature and seems to occur on almost all drive by wire vehicles. There is no transmission problem. That's not to say it isn't a real problem, but lumping it under the transmission problem only confuses the issue. I've experienced this one and personnally don't consider it that big a deal since I don't plan to drag race my ES330.

So, PLEASE identify exactly what you're seeing. From reading this board, many (if not most) people complaining are seeing the drive by wire hesitation and NOT the transmission problem.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    If you drive the car the way it was supposed to, you probably will not feel there is a problem. This car is oriented toward comfort not performance. The ES300/30 is not a driver's car like BMW330,Infinity G35, or Acura Tl. This is basically a dressed up Camry that is meant to haul people from pointA to pointB in utmost comfort and silence. The people who are posting here wants to drive the ES300/30 like a sports sedan. Maybe, you should have bought the IS300 instead.

BTW, I drive my father's 02 ES300 once in a while and never felt anything wrong with the transmission.
    is to have the dirver who feels the T problem and another who never feels it to ride together and work it out.

My 03's 300 tranny has been as smooth as the ride. I knew this car is not a performance champ but more of a refined quite comforter. Elegant and smoothie. That's the way to drive it. If you have the 240W ML option then you certainly don't want to rush the drive or beat the other drivers all the time, as the stereo 'performance' is truly a champ. Just enjoy the ride in a world class studio.
  • daytona01daytona01 Member Posts: 46
    Any ES 02 and 03 do the upgrade for tranmission software ?

Can we hear your story ?... any improve or worse?
  • josie2325josie2325 Member Posts: 1
    I own an '02 and had the software update because of hesitation in transmission and now I get a bucking when I accelerate or lift off brake. I have another scheduled service with a different dealer and will keep you posted.

Anyone else have the bucking after the software install?
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    practically nothing on the Toyota site about this issue. Isn't it the same/same engine and transmission? Maybe Lexus buyers have higher expectations. Our 01 has been near perfect after close to three years. Kinda gettng cold feet about a new one as our lease draws to a close.
  • hmehrmanhmehrman Member Posts: 2
    I had the software upgraded Oct. 9 per Technical Service Information Bulletin No. TC004-03. My advise is DON'T DO IT. I had just a slight problem at higher speeds before the update. Now it feels like a very dangerous car at speeds between 15 and 30 mph. There is about 1-2 seconds when the car shifts from low to next gear at about 15mph during which time the engine races with no apparent drive through the transmission. Then there is a sudden engagement of the transmission. I am now a very unhappy Lexus owner. Will go back to the dealer who did the mod to see what can be done about it.
    I wrote earlier of the failure of Lexus to address the hesitation problem, but omitted that I had previously had their "Fix"(software upgrade) installed. It did not solve the problem. I have also driven two new 330's that were supposedly upgraded and they also continued to hesitate when the accelerator is fully depressed.
    With all due respect to those that are happy with their auto, and talk of comfort compared to performance, I would like to point out that we are discussing a "safety" issue here. When I pull out to pass another car, I do not want to be left powerless. I have read on other Lexus forums that the answer is to adapt my driving habits to accommodate the hesitation. That is reminiscent of the tailor who made the sleeve too short telling the customer to keep his arm inside the pocket. I filed a "Lemon Law" complaint three days ago and am awaiting the results. I will let you know what happens.
    Do you have to press the gas very hard (all the way) from low speed to feel the hesitation? I've tried pressing half way and some when merging (more than enough to pass most of the time) and just did not sense any hesitation. I just simply don't get to press gas all the way in from low speed often. That itself sounds dangerous to me already, not to mention hurting mpg and engine.
    "Despite the zoomier styling, the emphasis is on luxury and refinement. The ES 300 is not a sports sedan. If you want such a car, Lexus would be happy to introduce you to its harder-edged IS 300 sedan, which now can be had with a manual transmission

Acceleration is strong, but hardly neck snapping (0-60 mph in 8.1 seconds). A new electronic throttle feature provides sharper accelerator pedal response, and the engine loafs at 2300 rpm at 70 mph.

But, while the new 5-speed automatic transmission upshifts seamlessly, it is slow to downshift—leaving the impression that the ES 300 would rather not be driven aggressively".

The above review is from carpoint.msn.com. Looks like when test driving the car he felt the so called problem. But his reasoning is that the car is geared toward comfort and refinement rather than spirited driving. Nowhere in the review does he calls the slow downshift nature a safety issue. Other magazines like Consumer Report, Consumer Digest and JD Powers gave glowing reviews about the 02 and 03 ES300. In fact JD Power called it the best entry level Luxury sedan. 90% of the people who own this car don't drive like some of the people who are posting here drives.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    cases when presented - I've only seen two, and I don't believe there's a problem.

I certainly won't support the issue and testify on behalf of a consumer in a lemon law arbitration or trial.
    I suspect that if you were in a vehicle where the problem was repeated, you might see things a little differently.

This topic is really beginning to fascinate me!! Those of us who feel the problem just can't conceive of a driver who has NEVER felt it!! And those who don't have the problem just can't seem to repeat it. Very, very strange.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    is to devalue vehicles with major issues, not a quirk. Most state's lemon laws are very specific - the ones I deal with (PA, NJ, DE) certainly are. If it's not a "significant impairment of use, safety, or value"...

I've yet to hear of a vehicle being wrecked or needing to be towed for this anomoly.
    I have not experienced the issue as danger to my safety. I think it can seem that way, however. Some folks say they experience a two to three second delay when they are trying to accelerate. I think it is more like one second, but when you are in the midst of freeway traffic, that one to three seconds can seem like a long time.
    I had a judge actually drive my car. The result was the judge awarded me another car. The transmission failed twice for the judge. Lexus looked pretty stupid, and I think that is proof enough. Unfortunately, the new one has similar though somewhat different problems. I've driven the Camry, the IS, the RX and I and didn't notice the problem at all. In fact, I was really impressed with the way the IS shifted. I've also driven two loaner ES's. One ES I noticed the problem and one I didn't.

I've been persistently pushing Lexus about this and they were always saying they would come out with something to fix the problem. Now the same people are saying there absolutely is no problem, and that the dealerships have been previously misinformed. Sound fishy? I don't think we can expect anything more from Lexus.

I really goofed with that judge. I should have asked for my money back, but I believed in Lexus. Now I know they're just another auto manufacturer. The Texas Motor Vehicle commission was surprised that Lexus didn't try to intervene and avoid a hearing. The problem is Lexus doesn't know how to fix the transmission. My car is definitely better after the last upgrade but not fixed. Don't count on anymore upgrades.
    Sounds like some ES have it and some don't (were the two loaners from the same year)? Can you describe what exactly the sympton is. And what do you mean by new ES having similar but different problem?
  • hmehrmanhmehrman Member Posts: 2
    About a week ago I complained in this forum (message #178) that after having the software update installed on my 03 ES300, I experienced a 1-2 second delay when the vehicle shifting from L to 2nd. I took my Lexus back to the dealer yesterday. The shop manager and I took a test drive. As we were leaving the shop and drove down an alley the car shifted from L to 2nd. The shop manager was astounded. There was no question in his mind that there was a problem. We drove back to the shop and the shop manager installed a diagnostic device under the steering wheel. After pushing a few buttons and removing the device we went for a second test drive. The shifting is now much much smoother. He explained to me that when the software change was made, one step had not been done. Apparently the computer on the Lexus creates a driver profile (lead foot, light foot?) and adjusts the transmission operation over a period of time to give a smoother shifting experience. My previous profile should have been deleted so that a new profile could be started. The initial test drive, diagnostic test, profile deletion and second test drive took no more than half and hour. I am once again a happy Lexus owner.
  • billb18billb18 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 ES 300 seems to have a tendency to drift on flat straight-aways going at typical highway speeds (65 MPH). I was under the impression that a car of this calibre would behave "as if it were on rails", not needing me to slightly correct/counter-correct its tendency to drift either right or left. I would not think that there is an alignment problem or a wheel balance problem in a brand new car with 3000 miles on it. I am the only driver and I have not run into any curbs or damaged the front end in any manner. Is it possible for me to have the steering linkages "tightened up" so that it would feel more rock solid on flat straight-aways? Thanks for any feedback.
    Why would you assume that your car couldn't need an alignment? Some cars are not properly adjusted by the factory.

My ES330 required alignment at the 1000 mile service point. I noticed a very slight drift immediately, but it wasn't bad enough to make a special trip. The dealer gladly fixed it.

I'd suggest having the alignment checked.
  • alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    I had a very similar problem on my 2001 Honda Odyssey - it turned out to be different tire pressure in the front wheels. Once I've corrected the pressure to the specs, the cars never drifts (own for 3 years, 33K miles).

So, check the tires pressure!
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    I posted this on the other board, but thought I'd put it here too.

Recently, I was crawling at 30mph on the freeway and felt a very very hard, jolting shift (the car was not otherwise shifting into another gear). It was such a hard jolt, it felt like someone hit my car. Has anyone had this experience? I am really starting to hate Lexus.
    I mentioned on the other site that the software upgrade improved this problem for me, but I still have other problems. Kreativ thinks the bump is related to the AC, but I disagree. The AC wouldn't slow the car, it's part of the stupid tranny problem. I think it's related to some type of downshifting your car is doing. See if the RPM's move when it happens. Like I say it got better for me with the upgrade, but I'm looking for an attorney for the other tranny problems. This has been ridiculous.
    texas83 just demonstrated exactly why the people bitching about the 'transmission problems' aren't getting any credibility.

The guy feels a jolt. Without having any more facts than that, texas83 insists that it must be the transmission - no other explanation even needs to be considered. Then runs to a lawyer - even though he says that Lexus improved the shifting on his car.
    I have read numerous reviews on the 02 ES 300 and nowhere have I found that the ES 300 has a major transmission flaw. Some reviewers did mention that the ES 300 doesn't have that sports sedan type reflex when it comes to sudden downshifting when the pedal is pushed hard. In fact, the same thing was said about the LS 430. But that is the way these sedans are suppose to drive. You should have done your homework before buying this car. You are abusing the Lemon Law Policies. More than 90% of the people who bought these car are very happy with there purchase. Both the Consumer Report and JD Powers have called it the best entry level luxury car. Do you really think it would have gotten that title with such a major flaw. My 03 Camry LE V6 has the same exact engine and transmission and I found it to be a gem.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    You said "my 03 camry LE V6 has the same engine and transmission" as the 02-03 ES 300. I thought Toyota used a 4sp auto in the 03 camry and updated to the 5sp auto in the 04 model. Which transmission is in your car??
    I have found the 4sp auto in my '95 avalon (4sp) to shift a bit "smoother" than my '03 ES 300 (5sp)
    but the other characteristics of the ES (quieter, better seats, radio, wood, and general fit and finish) are clearly superior. Overall, I agree with the JD Power ratings of the ES, but the shifting can sometimes be annoyingly noticeable because the rest of the car is so "perfect".
    Which transmission is in your camry?
    There are two years of complaints on this transmission set on the main chat line, a seperate chat line that someone set up because they are so fed up with it, I won a judgement in Lemon Law proceeding, and Lexus has admitted that 1 in 12 people are disatisfied with the trannny problem. Of course it's probably a much higher percentage dissatisfaction problem than that. Numerous statements were made about people being afraid for loved ones to drive the car. The tranny problem is better because of the software upgrade but obviously hasn't fixed the problem or people wouldn't still be complaining. READERS BEWARE the Lexus plants are doing what they can to discredit complaints.
    Actually the 03 Camry V6 has two transmission. One is the old 192 Hp teamed with the 4 speed automatic. In February 2003 Toyota added the 210hp vvti engine and a 5 speed automatic from the Lexus ES300. This was a midyear addition to keep the Camry more competitive with the Accord and Mazda6. Mine is the latter. If you check the Camry board you will see virtually no complaints about the new transmission.

To Texas83- It is sad you make statements without providing any evidence to back it up. And when you can't win the argument you resort to name calling. People who work for JD Powers or Consumer Digest are neither stupid nor stooges of any car company. I certainly trust their opinion more than yours. If you are really unhappy with your car, sell it and buy a Neon.
    Thank you for correcting me on the new Camry transmission. I'm curious though, if you ever experience a similar situation to my ES 300. I didn't notice anything unusual for the first 2-3 months of driving my ES. However, I now have 6,000 mi on the '03 ES and notice that it's shifting is "inconsistent". I'll go for miles with very smooth shifting, then I'll have a hesitant downshift or a surge as it shifts from L to 2 or from 5 to 4. I don't drive aggressively, which is why I think I notice the variation in it's shifting patterns. I have owned three other Toyota and Lexus vehicles with the V6-4sp auto. The new 5sp really isn't as smooth as the older version 4sp Toyota/Lexus transmission, in my experience. Still, great cars but could be improved, imo. I'm planning to get the transmission upgrade that has been referred to in this post, but I'm a bit concerned that it could make things worse since the Lexus service rep says that once the upgrade is done, you can't revert to the original software. Any advice would be appreciated.
    ..enough to think rationally. I truly empathize with your position. I know you feel what you feel regarding the symptom, and I am convinced that you could repeat it on a test drive with any one of us. However, the majority of the owners don't think it is a big issue, and I think that is making you madder than Lexus's response. You really need to accept that it is not Lexus plants out there.

Anyway, being mad won't help you. It may get you kicked off the board, and I for one would miss your rational complaints!1
    Please refer to the last two years of complaints and documentation that I and others clearly noted on this and other boards. You can refer specifically to my post of February 19th 2003 where I documented my results from the Lemon Law Hearing. I guess it really strikes me as odd that people would ignore two years of complaints, admissions by Lexus to want to fix the problem and have people step in and say there is no problem. Not only that... they say I have no right to complain about a car that they have never driven. It comes across very suspicious.
    On this board, I doubt I could find 15 owners with the degree of dissatisfaction that you have. And my feeling is that very many more on this board are satisfied. I empathize with you, because I wish every danged owner had the problem so they would complain and have Lexus fix it!!

But they don't. I am not a Lexus plant and I am accepting that the majority of owners simply don't have the problem or if they feel it, they don't think it is a big deal!! It is hard for me to accept, I don't like it, but that is reality.

It is not that folks don't think you have a right to complain. The issue is they think you may be beating a dead horse.

Good luck, Texas. I truly hope you get resolution.
    Does anyone out there who has had the upgrade feel that the transmission shifts worse than before the upgrade??
    My previous car was (still is) a 1992 4 cylinder Camry LE with a 4 speed automatic. This is the first time I bought a V6 Camry, so I can't compare this V6 with the previous V6. That engine produced ( I think) around 130 to 135 hp. Naturally there is a big difference in acceleration between that car and my current Camry. To answer your question, I have never been in a situation where I had to make the car downshift all of a sudden. As far as upshift is concerned, my 03 Camry definitely upshifts a lot smoother than my 92, although that transmission isn't rough by any means. Toydriver, you have to remember that these cars meet ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) certification. That means the transmission will try its best to stay in overdrive (5th gear) to give you the best mpg. The 5th gear also has a taller final drive ratio than the 4 speed automatic it replaced. That means when you are cruising at say 65 mph your rpm number will be lower than a 4 speed automatic. While a taller overdrive gear gives you a smoother,quieter ride, sometimes it is reluctant to downshift abruptly when you punch the pedal suddenly because of the wide gearing between 4th and 5th gear
    I'm sure that you are right about the priority for the transmission is to keep as low rpm as possible for ULEV issues. What I don't understand is the variability in the way the car shifts from one day to the next or even during the same commute. As I said, it will be smooth as silk for a few miles, then if I slow down in traffic or speed up to stay in the traffic flow, I will feel surges, or a hesitency when it shifts. This doesnt' seem to me to be a dangerous situation, as others have claimed; more of an annoyance when the rest of the driving experience is so good. I'm hoping the software upgrade will help.
    Hi Toydriver;

I just learned something today. The 03 Camry V6 already had the re programmed software when they released it this February. Maybe that's the reason I don't feel any hesitation and no complaints from Camry owners about their transmission. You probably should get the upgrade even if it is irreversible.
  • wrdwrd Member Posts: 40
    My 02 has 22k miles and the "upgrade". Before the upgrade it had a shudder at about 40mph when accellerating. Annoying. After the upgrade the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts are very inconsistant. One time it shifts perfectly, the next time the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts take 2-3 seconds and sound and feel like a slipping clutch on a standard shift auotmobile. Also annoying and maybe dangerous. At highway speed there is a 3-4 second lack of response when asked to accelerate. I consider this definitly dangerous. It took over a year to get any satisfaction from Lexus. They at first admitted a problem and said a fix was due by July 03. In July they said there was no problem and no fix in development, the car was performing as designed. Shortly thereafter I became aware of the upgrade in this message board. My car was the first done by my dealership. They have since done all the 300's in their loaner fleet and their salesmens cars. So much for it being only a minority of customers affected. I have complained about the way it now shifts and the tech has driven it, noted the problems and told me that Lexus considers it fixed. There is nothing more that can be done. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction and got the same propaganda. I have owned two LS400s. A 93 and now a 97. Both cars have in excess of 140k miles and shift perfectly all the time every time.I have also driven Yugos and Kias and they shift better than a ES300. Automatic transmissions have been around for over 50 years. There is no excuse for such bad performance. There is no excuse for the manufacurer of a luxury automobile stonewalling its customers like this. Our only hope for satisfaction is to get this problem into automotive publications and the newspapers. Hurt their sales until they cure the problem. By the way, I have driven several 03s and noticed a problem in EVERY one of them. I have also driven a brand new Acura TL and I prefer my ES300 to the Acura. If the shifting were fixed it would be a near perfect automobile. Almost as good as my 400.My apologies for ranting.
    I agree that it is very telling that the upgrade has been added to an entire dealership's fleet. If there is no problem, as they claim, there would be no reason to put the change in.

I am frustrated that the testers of these cars, who publicize their findings don't unilaterally comment on the poor shifting. A true fix would probably cost Lexus the earth, however, which is why they don't do it. Eventually, someone will probably get into an accident and sue the company.

I appreciate your ranting.
  • unclecheebunclecheeb Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 ES 300. I can honestly say I have experienced many of the problems that have been posted BEFORE I read this forum. I am not a lead-footed hot-rodder. This is a fabulous car that has even greater potential. However, when I depress the pedal to pass, I hold my breath while the transmission "decides" what it is going to do - characterized as a slipping, mushy, hesitating, feeling - not crisp and responsive. The same feeling occurs after having slowed down to make a turn. I want to get up to speed, but again, I must wait for the car to respond to my request to accelerate. I have also experienced a propensity of the car to drift, rather the remain straight, while driving on the highway, and, occasionally, a sudden "lurch" forward while waiting at a traffic light. These are genuine, valid safety issues, not dreamed up minor complaints. The car's performance reminds me of the adage - a dull knife is far more dangerous than a sharp one. I test drove the 330, and was told it would be a totally different driving experience. Not true at all, just like the 300, a wonderful automobile - but I don't feel confident in critical situations. Since reading this forum I have not complained to the dealer because I am afraid of jepordizing my relationship for future servicing and repairs, and it seems the "fix" is a 50/50 experience. For those of you who admonish - stop whining or get another make of vehicle, I say that's not fair, as this vehicle is superior in satisfaction and quality in so many other areas. However, as owners of a Lexus automobile, we have a right and we should expect, to be able to feel proud, confident and secure as a result of that ownership. That is the message, the mantra if you will, that Lexus uses in their advertising. They exude that feeling in their own words "the Lexus experience".