Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

1175must1175must Member Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Porsche
I've been offered $2500 over invoice for a brand new 03 BMW M3 and $1000 over invoice for a brand new 03 Boxster S. I'm leaning toward the Boxster. Are these good offers?

Comments

• Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I seriously considered both cars prior to opting for the cheap alternative of a Honda S2000 in November 2001.

Of the deals you have been offered, I'd be tempted to go with the M3. Although it's less of a discount over invoice, I haven't heard of hardly any discounting on the M3, period. And they appear to be holding their value extremely well. The Boxster S, on the other hand, has been dropping considerably in resale value. I have seen 2001's with low milage, mint condition offered for sale in the high $30's here in the DC area. A friend looked at a 2002 with 5,600 miles for $41,900 ($60k+ sticker). And, frankly, while I think the Boxster S is an exceptional car, I didn't think it was worth $25k+ (new) over the S2000 in performance or amenities. Not to mention that my "fun" car needs to be low maintenance and high reliability. The M3 is more versitile and, although perhaps not quite the sharp edged handler of the smaller roadsters, has enormous power to spare.

I think Porsche has been forced into discounting the Boxsters because of slack demand and overinflated MSRP's, especially with their "the steering wheel is optional" approach to options. I am not sure why a BMW dealer would need to discount the M3.

Is the M3 deal for a new car ordered to your specifications, or one that is sitting on the showroom floor? If it's the former, I wouldn't mind that deal if you decide not to take it.
  • Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
  • Options
    Somebody ordered the M3 but backed out so its still sitting at the dealer. I'm not so sure about the SMG feature. I'm also considering TipS so that my better half can drive it once in a while. I can't compromise too much with a S2000 (by the way a great car!) when considering a non-manual driver. The flood of base Boxster inventory is pretty serious and as low as $48k for a brand new 03 so my thinking is that a new Boxster S with nice options (albeit eventually worthless)can be had at 1k-2k over invoice isn't too bad.
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    With the great weather we have in California, I could see a Boxster S being sold for more used out here.

- BTW, that is a great deal for a sports car!
  • Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    I would think most people in Cali would be lucky to get MSRP for anything these days..
  • Options
    MSRP could be a thing of the past if the economy keeps slipping downward and in light of war. With gas prices reaching $4/gal here, people will drive less (especially gas-guzzling sports cars). Reasons I've not looked into used Boxster S are: glass rear window and minor mechanical improvements to the 03s. The dealer I'm speaking with is firm at $1150 over invoice and stated that "its the cheapest S he's ever sold." We'll see I guess.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Not to repeat myself, but if you intend to keep a Boxster S for a long time and don't care about resale, a new 2003 at $1,150 over invoice might be a good deal. But, based upon my previous analysis on my purchase decision, the $55-60k Boxster S will depreciate $20k in the next 2 years. You can bank on that.

There is a loaded 2002 911 C2 Cabriolet with 6,500 miles advertised in today's Washington Post for $73k (purportedly stickered for $90k+ new). I'm guessing the (private) owner would accept something in the high $60's, since they are also advertising a CLK430 convertible for sale. If you can afford an extra $10k, a near-new 911 convertible would be a better 2-3 year investment than a Boxster S, IMO.

But again, if your heart is into a new Boxster S and you are going to keep it long enough where resale isn't an issue, cut the best deal you can.
  • Options
    tm255tm255 Member Posts: 7
    2500/1000 over invoice are great prices, based on what i've encountered in my shopping. where are these dealers? best i've come across (although i've primarily focused on used cars) is $1k off msrp on either the boxster S or the M3.

the new boxster will take a depreciation hit, but for $1K over invoice it may not be too bad a way to go. you get the glass rear window, spec the car the way you want it, full warranty, and you KNOW the history of the car.

the SMG is really unique but from what i can tell it is not suited for everyone. it does not operate exactly like a "regular" auto in auto mode, for example because it does not have a torque converter.
  • Options
    tm255tm255 Member Posts: 7
    this board would benefit from an email function. i'd really like to know where he is getting those prices.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Just click on his "blue" username and the e-mail address should come up. You'll have to find one of his posts though.
  • Options
    cubanaudicubanaudi Member Posts: 17
    they offered me a 2003 Boxster S DEMO (2950 miles) at $5000 off MSRP, before I even opened my mouth to start negotiating. But they really weren't budging from there. I still had a few months in my current lease, and I would have to roll 6 months of payments into this car. Lease payments would be too high. Residuals also were awful. 53% for 39 months. Pretty dismal for Miami.
  • Options
    Oh, you don't wanna be rollin' leases unless you are really, really good with the calculator. You can get lost so easily into a bad deal.
  • Options
    starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    From C&D article on One Lap 2003:

"The elapsed time for the Civic's standing-start three-lap run — 7:02.570 — was more than a minute and a half slower than the time posted by the session's quickest (more on that in a minute), but it was nevertheless good enough to beat a pair of Porsche Boxsters, among others."

This was a hybrid, didn't get any more info, just found it 'interesting' ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, well what do you want to drive around in, a Boxster or a hybrid Civic?

I could build any car to beat any car. Gimme money, gimme talent.
  • Options
    speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Can you drop the top on a sunny day in the Civic? Does it feel balanced or transmit the road through the steering wheel? Gimme a break with the ';o)'...I don't own a Boxster S, but I sure as heck know I'd rather own it than any Civic.

Besides, I'd like to verify this claim about the Hybrid. Hybrids per se tend to have tiny engines that compete for weight with the batteries.
  • Options
    starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    One comment about Porsche except for the SUV, that is:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_- id=6665

Enjoy, seems the Corvette did good.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I loved my red Boxster "S" , it had the looks and performance, could put the top down and could carry some items after shopping. I could not sell it by myself in the SF Chronicle, Diablo Dealer or craigslist. Asking $40K for 2000 with 9000 miles. Finally Camissa Motors took it on consignment and sold it in 3 days for full price(minus $2000 commision) Well worth it, but surprised that resale value was low. The hot cars are red or yellow 6spd manuals.
  • Options
    I sold the boxster because we are a family of 4 and could not all fit. If I were single no kids, I'd stay with Boxster. Now I prefer the M3 for the space , performance, value. But definitely try both before you pass judgment. A lot of people give opinions without really knowing anything about the subject.
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    After thinking I was in the market for a late model Boxster, I drove away today in a new 2003 Boxster S! Having some 2nd guesses right now but those are alieved every time I sit in the car. What a beauty. I got $4500 off sticker($2500 above invoice per kbb) but probably could've negotiated a better deal but in the scheme of life - what's $1000? Right? Looking for some moral support here! Anyway, I'll be keeping this car for atleast 5 years!

take care
    fo
  • Options
    Well, the S is a pricey car that's true but I think that unlike some cars that do not age so well with styling and wear and tear, the Boxster works well for people such as you who keep a car for a while.

Also, since we generally have to live with the new cars we buy for a while, it's important not too compromise too much. My experience has always been that if you really love your car you forgive lots of things and enjoy the good parts, but if you are lukewarm you become very critical and annoyed when there are problems or when the cupholder is in the wrong place, etc.

My favorite parts about a Boxster (aside from its competence on the road) are the styling, which I think is the best looking of all the two seaters at that price range or below, and the Porsche heritage and prestige. True, you can't "take that to the bank" but there are lots of juicy things in life that are not bankable IMO.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    If you are looking for moral support I am willing to help you, you only live once, right?
    How much is satisfaction and pleasure worth? A dollar? A million? A….. what? Who knows, this life can be pretty crappy sometimes, if you were able to acquire a new S enjoy every moment, take it to the countryside, find you some nice hilly curvy roads, savor every mile, get some fresh air on weekends, tomorrow nothing is promised to you, play hard and above all work harder and be smart and you make up for it, how about that!.
    All that Mr Shiftright said is very true, especially the last sentence.

Enjoy the curves and I mean all if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    The guilt has mostly dissipated...thanks goodness. Now a second wave is hitting me as I'm trying to find full coverage insurance - being a single male with one claim in 2002 isn't helping. Surprisingly AllState has been the best with $2180/yr so I guess I'm heading that way. Anyway, I have my delivery appt tomorrow for them to officially prep the car and go over all the bells & whistles with me. The car came with the 17" Boxster S II wheels which are fine but I really like the Light Carrera 18" wheels - easier to see the red calipers and make the car appear even more sporty(if possible). I'm sure the dealer would just charge me the difference for the upgrade(~$1300), anybody think it's worth it? Anybody had good or bad experiences with those 18's?

thanks for any feedback
    fo
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    No is not worth it in my opinion.

17 are good enough, you want some rubber to cushion, there is point when too much is too much, personally I think this new wheels in vogue today don’t look good, reminds me of a Conestoga wagon wheel, all spokes and no rubber and gives the impression of not being much substance to the wheels, just an opposing view.

You can always change your wheels, give you some time, why not instead invest a small fraction of that and buy you some good waxes, leather conditioner, clay bar etc.

P.S. When the car is rolling the calipers are very visible.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    When the Boxster first came out in '97 (I believe), I wasn't a big fan of it. Admittedly I never drove one and still haven't to this day. Obviously driving this car is what all the fuss (and fun) is about. Most every Boxster I see is either Silver/Black or Dark Blue/Beige with the dreaded (for me anyway) Tiptronic Transmission.

The Boxster S came out and the minor styling cues seemed to appeal more and more to me. When I started to see the '03 changes with the revised front fascia along with the Red Brake Calipers & Twin Outlet Exhaust, I really started to put the Boxster S on my wishlist:)

Make mine Speed Yellow with a black top, black interior, and of course, a 6 speed.

I'm sure a lot of people bought the Boxster in the beginning because it was an "entry level" Porsche. There are some genuine Boxster enthusiasts out there who love the fact that their car is light and extremely well balanced. Couple the excellent driving dynamics with a handsome exterior and the fact that it is indeed a true Porsche and I may have found a great car to but and hold on to for the long run.

I'm probably a good 5-7 years away (maybe sooner, you onloy go around once) from buying a Boxster S, but I'm sure Porsche will continue to make evolutionary changes to this great car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it . We loved the car, and my kids loved to move the top . What shifty and thor8 said was 100 percent supported by me. You have an awesome vehicle and toy that you can use to go from point A to B. I'd rather be in the Boxster rather than the Yugo. As for wheels, they may not feel much different in ordinary driving. 17 " may even cushion some bumps, while still providing lateral Gs of 0.94.
  • Options
    jawdocjawdoc Member Posts: 6
    Bought it new and have not regretted it at all. Great fun and more reliable than I had hoped. 18" carrera style wheels, silver with black int. and heated seats/lumbar support. Great machine!
    Lots of cargo room for average number of errands. Great gas mileage on the highway and very, very quick.

Only one gripe which Porsche has since rectified...plastic rear window...hell in the rain.

Has anyone out there purchased extended warr. and where??
  • Options
    Well after 6 wks of ownership of my new '03S, my face is starting to hurt from the ear to ear grin I can't seem to get rid of. I decided to get the 18" carerra wheels, add the nonsmoker pkg, and replace the amber turn signals with clears. Thanks to all for the initial support and help; I have never owned a car before where I get excited just going to the store! Just yesterday I drove 25 minutes to pick up a pizza when there was another pizza store around the corner from my house. My significant other thinks I'm crazy; she just doesn' understand.

TO all those on the fence, JUMP and go for it.....especially with all the discounts on the '03s now.

Take Care
    fo
  • Options
    dc881dc881 Member Posts: 3
    Hello.everyone,
    Will welcome some feedback re installing a hardtop. My Boxster S 02 is great but is a hassle with the plastic window at the back. Demands frequent cleaning. Got a quote of 3200. for hardtop purchase only. What do you think? Worth it?
  • Options
    For the reason you state (difficult to clean plastic window), I say not worth it. With the hardtop, you have to take it off every time you want a top-down experience. Now, for cold, winter driving, that's different...would be a useful option.

If you're leaning towards a coupe, have you considered trading in your S for a 996? Or an 03 Boxster S, which has the glass rear window?
  • Options
    I think you need a better reason than frequent cleaning of the plastic window to justify $3,200 and the problem of installing/removing/storage. It doesn't seem worth it for just that problem, at least not to me, if you don't mind my saying.
  • Options
    I've seen used ones go for ~$1500. Even if it's not the right color, you can get it professionally painted for a total less than $3200. They are probably demanding a high premium now(winter's around the corner) so I bet you could get a smoking dealnext Feb/Mar!

good luck
    fo
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    put the top down, it really improves visibility:^)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    Not only that, it cures all squeaks, rattles and noises!
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just enjoy it as a convertible now.
  • Options
    ek01ek01 Member Posts: 37
    I am considering the purchase of a late model Boxster for all year driving. Our family has an SUV for practical purposes but I would like to drive a convertible for myself. Is anyone driving the Boxster in winter in regions with snowfall ( I am in Toronto ) and if you are, can you tell me whether the driving is manageable in snow (with snow tires).
  • Options
    mbbuyer123mbbuyer123 Member Posts: 5
    The radio in my '03 Boxster has bad reception. Is this a common phenomenon with Boxsters?
  • Options
    sailnfastsailnfast Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing a '01 Boxster S for year round driving in the Midwest and was curious if there was anyone out there with experience driving in the snow/rain w/ or w/o snow tires and if so which snow tires you'd recommend. Thx.
  • Options
    sailnfast - The Boxster is excellent in the rain on standard factory tires. I can attest to that from my own experience.

As for winter driving...first I have to ask...do you have an alternative vehicle to use? Second, if you want to take the S out in the snow, you MUST have winter tires. Summer performance tires will not get any traction in the snow or slush.

An excellent choice, in my opinion, is the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2. It's highly rated in Consumer Reports, and the TireRack.com states that it's not only 100% Porsche-approved, but also recommended by Audi, MB and others. I've owned Dunlops before and think they make fine tires.

A long-standing choice for Porsches is the Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-22 would the the top model for a Boxster, I think, but I'd check that out).

Another thing to consider is buying a set of steel wheels for the winter. Saves on rebalancing costs and you won't damage your nice wheels with winter salt, etc. You might want to get a hardtop, if you don't have one already. They look sharp on the Boxster, too, imo.
  • Options
    ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    just picked up my brand new '03 boxster s on 12/31. because it was end of year, and dealerships are trying hard to get rid of '03s, got an amazing deal. got a $56k sticker car for $45k even. couldn't possibly turn that deal down, especially since there's no change from '03 to '04. the car is an absolute pleasure to drive, and i've already driven it in both rain and clear weather, top up and top down. man, porsche has really got this car thing figured out. can't imagine ever going back. but i still have the 911 to look forward to down the road (knocking on wood as i type this!).
  • Options
    Congratulations! In case you didn't know, you're the second person on these boards who just got a sweet deal on an S (designman is the other).

As for the 911 longings, it might help to know that I've been trolling rennlist boards lately and there's a lot of griping about 996 quality control, including replaced engines. So, as they say, be careful what you wish for...and enjoy that Boxster!
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Speeds2much, had the top down on New Years Day… 40 degrees… no scarf due to IDS (Isadora Duncan Syndrome). Had a some initial guilt for not getting the 993 but it quickly passed.

Love this car… everything I expected and more. Lots to talk about but I’ll probably bore you with newbie stuff. The toughest thing is getting used to the 6-speed, especially downshifting. Gotta get to the point where I know it by rote. One time I went from 6 to 4 and hit 2 instead… get your act together boy!

Did some serious twistin’ on Connecticut country roads over the weekend. Also love the boogaloo in daily commuter traffic, you know, bobbin’ and weavin’ like a point guard. I’m really anxious to get past the break-in period so I can get on the tach and the brakes. The manual says 4.2K rpm for the first 2K miles with civilized braking. Gotta be careful though… getting nailed would take the wind out of my sails bigtime! Would like to hear some perspective on this, and your handle suggests you have a LOT of perspective. ;-)

ds2k1, congrats! Guess we’re twins… got mine on New Year’s Eve also. “…porsche has really got this car thing figured out.” Amen brother!!
  • Options
    couldn't believe how busy the dealership was on 12/31. apparently, because of some weird tax break, a bunch of people were buying cayennes. not sure about the cayenne, but if you have to drive an suv, you could do worse i imagine. anyway, designman, what kind of deal were you able to squeeze out of them?

as to the break-in period, my salesman told me that's really a bunch of hogwash. the engine's already been put through the ringer at the factory, and it IS a porsche after all. it's not meant to be treated with kid's gloves. his advice to me was to avoid redlining it for too long in the first 800 miles, but don't worry too much. his exact words were, "have fun with it, it's a porsche." i plan on following his sage advice.

and though i live in california, it's actually been pretty cold here lately. nevertheless, on 1/1, with temps in the high 40s, had the top down all day and had a friggin' blast. clear, crisp skies made for a fabulous driving experience. i ask you, is there a finer sound than the boxer engine? without getting pornographic, i can't think of any. i do, however, recommend bringing some gloves along for those long drives on clear winter days.

speeds2much - thanks for the soothing words re the 996, but i'm not sure i'll shake the jones fully. now don't get me wrong, the boxster's doing a helluva job making me forget all about the 911, but childhood dreams die hard my friend. first things first, however. i intend to make the boxster beg for mercy before moving on. my guess is that this might take awhile.

cheers!
  • Options
    designman - Sounds fantastic! As for advice on speeding, I have a clean driving record, due to a combination of luck and more importantly, driving in context, always aware of my surroundings. That means keeping a safe distance from other cars and driving with the pack, hitting sprints when there's open road ahead, looking out for hills and trees that are ideal for speed traps, keeping in the right lane as much as possible, obeying speed limits in towns and cities...basically, being the fox. ;o)

ds2k1...Whenever I don't have exactly what I really want, I always look at it as hey, is this current thing I wish I had the ultimate, or is there something even better to shoot for? There always is. For you, I say that's the 997 or 998. I think it was Motor Trend that wrote about a possible retractable hardtop for the cab. It's a certainty that there will be a much better interior and more horsepower, as well as traditional round headlights. Porsche also needs to work on its quality control for the 9-series.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Congratulations to both of you. There's nothing better than a new (sports) car! As I type this, it is 14 degrees in central Mass and predicted for single numbers tonight, so I trust the tops are up!

Quality control at Porsche stopped, at least in the sense a "purist" means it, in the early 90s. In that recession, the elves were dismissed and slunk off into the dark, norther European forests. Porsche was struggling and so they brought in some Japanese advisors to teach them how to adopt their techniques. So what do you get when you cross a German idea and a Japanese technique? Not an ethnic joke (at least not this time) but a 993 and then a 996, and in between a Boxster.

Not bad at all, hunh? But the "quality control" that had every engine obsessed over by its individual craftsman has been highly, ummmm, "modified" so that now there is lots of plastic and the Cayenne and talk of a V-6 and steel roadster tops. (On dark nights the elves can be heard muttering curses.)

But some traditions have remained: the Porsche problems. Remember this, for those who are new, all Porsche engines, ALL OF THEM, are bulletproof. Nothing ever breaks. The maintenance is, admittedly, a bit (cough)expensive(cough), but there is nothing really wrong because it is, after all, a Porsche.

Two of the things some of the 'newbies' on the 996 board at Rennlist complain about are engine leaks and ceramic brake failures. What some fail to realize is that oil leaks are, in a P-car, a no-cost option! Those who own 964s and 993s consider a quart of oil lost each 600 miles within normal ranges. And if it gets to be a bad leak (i.e., having to step over the puddle each morning) the company provides a new engine -- sometimes even a bit beyond warranty, they say. (So don't quote this as fact.) And the $8000 ceramic brake option has had wear problems, in as little as a thousand miles (with considerable track use), and the owners who complain are often disregarded, not because the problem doesn't exist but because Porsche owners seem to traditionally be a part of the R&D process in bringing new, fast technology to the road. No, this ain't a Nissan, but because this is what Porsche seems to expect from owners, the company also has a reputation for returning the favor by upgrading and replacing the defective 'beta' versions.

I guess the Japanese didn't want to ruin all of the traditions (lol)! None of you bought a '97 Boxster did you? Good. Enjoy em if y'got'em. JW
  • Options
    thanks for the insight. i've also reveled in the legend of the "bulletproof" porsche engine, and must admit that i allowed myself to fall prey to its charms when deciding upon my current brand of transportation (honda can't be THAT much more reliable than a porsche, right? - this is what I tell myself). with that said, i don't plan on owning the car past warranty, so i take some solace in knowing that big problems are the manufacturer's problems and that my dealer has a loaner with my name on it waiting for me if that becomes necessary.

also, although i've always admired porsche, i'm not very nostalgic for old cars. at least not to the point where i want to own them. i enjoy looking at them, and i enjoy them intellectually and philosophically, but i enjoy them from afar. i simply don't have the gear-head gene in my person. i have the driver's gene, but not the tweaky gear-head gene. with that said, i admire those who do. my dad is one of them and is about to rebuild a beautiful '61 alfa romeo sprint veloce for the second time. what a car.

so, while i freely admit that i expect my '03 boxster s to visit its prior home (the dealership and, more importantly, the service department) more often than an s2000 would have if i'd gone that direction (the other car i considered, and drove, but that's another story), the visceral pleasure i get from the porsche, and the hope that a car cannot be THAT bad its first 3 years, makes me think i made the right decision. actually, i have no doubt about it at all. this was the car for me.

but i appreciate knowing that anything short of a puddle of oil in my garage is not cause for alarm.
  • Options
    wantaboxster2wantaboxster2 Member Posts: 3
    I have been considering buying a Boxster S for quite some time and like many have said the price is right now. The 2003 models are $10,000 below MSRP. I know that is is a porsche and I've always wanted one but it is very expensive. I don't mind the initial expense to buy the vehicle but how is the maintenance for this vehicle. What should I plan on spending annually for maintenance (I know that there are many factors) and how does Porsche back up the car. I've heard stories that oil changes are $500, tires need to be replaced every 5,000 miles, clutches are $3,000. I don't believe these all to be true but I do want to have an idea what the cost will be to have this vehicle. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    You may not want to lay claim to the gene, but you seem to have the "bug"! Can be fatal. LOL.

I certainly don't mean to sound any note of discouragement, just trying for a little perspective on the experience. Like you I prefer paying for pleasure and engagement rather than for the passive and monotonous ambience of, say, a Buick. JW
  • Options
    true, the "bug" does have a tendency to work its way into your dna, doesn't it? i guess only time will tell how successful that little bug is in winding its way into my central nervous system. i'm only 36 now, so that bug's got years to incubate.

since i drive more than 80 miles per day, i prefer that my driving experience also be a pleasurable and engaging one. spending that time in a porsche not only makes the most seemingly monotonous part of my day anything but, it improves the quality of my life. life is, after all, for living.

and with all due respect, i must disagree with you on one point. my best friend in high school had a buick. a mustard yellow buick. while it certainly couldn't pull .92g's on the skidpad, it was more than capable of transporting six people (many of them women, luckily) wherever we needed to go. in style. in fact, my friend's car was the transportation of choice. in high school, that's anything but monotonous, my friend.
  • Options
    jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    After hanging out at the BMW 5 series board for the last few years I am poised to make our first Porsche purchase this year. I know what I want (Boxster w/convenience plus package (Bose, anti-theft, cruise, windstop, colored center caps, CD shelf, bi-xenons, PSM and trip computer) sport seats, heated seats, sport chassis, 18" Carrera wheels and metallic paint) and have actually been out looking for a 2003 Boxster or Boxster S that comes close to my specs. Althought there are some great deals out there it appears that I will have to order this car (like our 2002 530i) to get it equiped the way I want.

My local sales person told me that Porsche is cutting 2004 Boxster production in half to keep the supply in line with demand as well as keep the prices up. The best deal I can expect for ordering this car is $3k to $4k off MSRP according to the sales person.

My questions are.... 1. has any one recently come across a 2003 Boxster or Boxster S that comes close to the one I want and 2. is $3k to $4k off of a car that will sticker for $55,260 the norm ?

Thx.