Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Thanks for the review of the 997 in some detail -- love your humor on the "look" of its face! lol.

Don't know if this pertains to oil overfill on the water-cooled engines or not, but I'm sure you can search it out pretty quickly at all the usual places. But on the air-cooled engines, oil overfill wasn't responsible for external leaks. More commonly, the extra oil would back up and mess up the mass air filter and clog places it wasn't supposed to be -- a general, and expensive, mess.

The way to refill oil on those cars is to provide a minimum fill (6-7 quarts on mine) then (dry sump) start the engine, warm it up, and add oil a quart at a time, then a few ounces at a time when you get near the full mark. The gauge on dash will end up at mid-full and the dipstick will be smack in the middle. (9-10 quarts in all)

It ain't rocket science, and though the watercooled is certainly different, it should actually be easier and I think you were right to raise heck. But I'm also not sure that an overfill has the same (expensive) repercussions that it would for an oil-cooled. You may want to check it for future reference. (I'd be curious if you find out.)

JW
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I meant to say the mug on the 997 would NOT prevent me from buying one. I love the car. Where's my friggin' editor... you're fired!

;-)
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    I noticed the same thing. It sort of says "Dodge Neon" or "VW Beetle." Of course, the Beetle DNA is well-known. I also have long been a fan of the Neon, despite its shortcomings. But the 997 should have a more mature and sophisticated face than these two youth-oriented models.
  • boxsterloverboxsterlover Member Posts: 23
    I hope that everyone has seen the pictures of the new boxsters on autoweek.com. The styling is very similar to the present boxsters but the interiors look better, which is where I thought that they needed improvement and the HP has gone up nicely especially in the S version. The one thing I was hoping they would do, they did. They finally made PSM standard. Can't wait to hear everyone's comments.
    Sure boxsterlover,

Here's my two cents. New Boxster looks great, but then again, so did the 986. I like the front fascia on the new car better because it's a little more "stout," i.e. aggressive. The interior is a nice and needed improvement. A little more horsepower. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same car, which is how it should be with such a successful design. Still the benchmark imo.
  • dav1dav1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Boxster with manual transmission and have had a difficult time mastering the clutch. I have a manual Corolla that I have no problems driving and my brother who has driven a stick daily for 20 years has problems driving my Boxster. I am at the point now where I want to trade it in for a comparable tiptronic. My car is in excellent condition with only 500 miles. Will I have to take a huge hit?
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Before you make any move I would suggest taking your car to someone (preferrably a professional) who is familiar with Boxsters to verify the integrity of the transmission and clutch. This will easily rule out the car being the problem or not.

Although Porsche clutches have the bite of a Pit Bull compared to more civilized cars, their personality should not be outside the realm of expectation for anyone who gets himself involved with these performance cars, especially to those who have experienced driving manual transmissions. It is quite possible that the rougher, athletic nature of sport transmissions are not to your expectation and liking, but I would not assume this until the soundness of the transmission/clutch is verified.

On the other note, Boxsters are having a hard time with resale, so if you decide to get out of it you will probably have to take a financial hit. Of course this goes without saying when quickly trading in any car with 500 miles.

I'm hoping you have a quick-fixable problem with your clutch. I'd hate to see you dump your car, miss out on the pleasure of driving the manual and lose money under some false pretense. Good luck.
    Hmm, talk about throwing a party and no one showing up. This is the first sequel to the great original Boxster and not much chat around here.

I'll start with the bottom line. It seems the new 987 offers considerably more value than the original. The added power, track width, new transmission and standard PSM do the trick in my opinion. Also, and this is an educated guess, the S will once again share transmissions and transmission linkage with the 911 as was the case with 996/986. Boxster fans can thank Porsche parts sharing for this—lessens their production costs. According to the reviews the new 911 stick is a winner so the implications are obvious.

I'm not exactly happy with styling, particularly the circular/oval air vents on the dash. They really seem out of place and poorly integrated with the other interior elements. Except for the vents the interior is the same as the new 911, however the different vents distinguish them now. I would imagine this delights 911 owners.

I also don't care for the shape of the rolls bars which are more angular in the ilk of S2000 and… drats… the Z4. With top down, the roll bars are a focal point and this was one of the best features of 986.

Not crazy about the pear-shaped head lamps either (Speeds2much, here's the Neon… we should bite our tongues ;-) but in combination with the bumper vents I think they give the mug a meaner look than the new 911. The tail lamps/rear bumper seam evoke images of the Carrera GT—more industrial than elegant.

Overall I agree with Speeds2much—it looks stout, stronger, even if it loses some shape, muscle tone and elegance in the process.

I find that first impressions are fleeting so I like to let images ferment. First impressions 997 and 987 were much different for me. But they never matter, the direction it takes later on is most important. The best designs show growth, like a great painting that never stops revealing the details within. The new Boxster seems to be growing on me while the 911 has taken the other direction. The Boxster looks down-and-dirty minimal and meaner whereas the new 911 has that relentless fatuous smile in frontal view, wearing me out by imploring me to have a nice day. It's OK though, I never cared for the 993 mug either but loved it regardless.

I've always found things to nitpick about with every P car. I suppose it never matters though… the flame keeps burning so they're doing something right. Unrequited love? Nah, Porsche more or less sticks to the formula we expect. BMW is living proof of how much the limits of affection can be tested. I really can't stand those interior air vents though.

Would love to hear other opinions. Have a nice day :-)
    I agree with you designman on the 987 headlights. They have more character than those bug-eyed bulbs on the 997. Having said that, I saw the 997 in person the other day, and standing maybe thirty yards away, I didn't see much that was friendly. Compared with the 996, the front fascia was beefier, the hood/roof had more arc and the whole car sat more squat and wide. In black, the car looked downright menacing, but more like a wolf crouching, not yet baring his teeth. ;o) So, while I agree the headlights in close-up and in pictures look too chipper, in real life, this car has quite a presence about it.

By the way, I sat behind a speed yellow Boxster the other day in a traffic jam, so I got a long look at it. Has to be the best hind quarters on the road.
    I think there's something wrong with your transmission/clutch/linkage ... as an experienced manual driver, you should have no problem with the Boxster's box...in fact, should probably find it seamless and, occasionally, joyful! Take it to a good Porsche shop -- in your area, this may rule out the dealership, I dunno -- and get them to drive it.

Meanwhile, if you want some of us to mutter about it, we probably can if you will be more specific on what it is that the car does/doesn't do that you don't like.

Best of luck. JW
    Talk about your good writing! Very nice job, designman. I know it's rare for me to be without an opinion, but since I haven't seen the 987, I can't offer a comment -- but you known I will! lol.

speeds2much, your comment about the rear haunches needs to be taken seriously. In some states, I hear it's illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to wash the back of a Porsche. In the case of the wide bodies, some have been known to faint at the sight!

JW
    lmao....heck, I'd pay 20 bucks/song to wash the Porsche.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Visited my friend's Porsche shop the other day and saw my SECOND Boxster (year 2000 model S) with a trunk full of anti-freeze. Be sure to lift your mats and see if the coolant bottle is leaking slightly.

Also for those of you under warranty, have your engine crankshaft seal checked for leaks at next check-up. A newly designed seal has been issued and if you have a leak, even a slight one, this would be a good time to install the new seal.
  • esashesash Member Posts: 5
    does anyone have a sense of fair market value fro a 2003 boxster with 15000 miles thanks
    jeff
    Try the Edmunds Used Car "True Market Value" pricing software on the Edmunds Home Page.

Here's the link:

True Market Value from Edmunds

Host
    Mr. Shiftrite, it's good that you pointed that out. From what I have read the cracked bottles have been showing up enough to be vigilant. A symptom has been condensation on the part of the trunk lid that covers the the oil and coolant area. I had condensation and brought it in. They acknowledged the problem but said my bottle wasn't cracked and replaced the caps. Condensation disappeared but I will be checking under the fabric anyway.
    There's a little rubber plug under the coolant bottle in case it happens...I don't think it was put there for THAT--(LOL)-- but it has proven handy.
  • dav1dav1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to you and JWilson1 for the replies. I am definitely going to get the clutch checked out.
  • boyhooddreamboyhooddream Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if any owners or members familiar with Boxsters. Recently, I was looking at a pre-owned 1998 Boxster. The asking price was $23,995. I am wondering what types of things should I be concerned with when considering a pre-owned Boxster. The car had 29,500 miles. One thing that really concerned me was there was moisture under the passenger seat and the Airbag light came on during my test drive.

The car was not for sell by a Porsche dealer. In addition, the sales staff was reluctant to allow a PPI by an independent mechanic.
  • rodc1rodc1 Member Posts: 36
    Run for the hills! Any reputable car seller (private or dealer) will allow a PPI by a serious buyer without blinking an eye. What do they care they're selling a straight forward car are'nt they? Or are they? You expect certain deficiencies in a 6 year old car but not any deal breakers. "What are they hiding" is the first question i'd ask myself and you can darn well be sure they'll never tell you. I'd be looking else where if i were you.
    Okay, no PPI allowed, air bag light on, moisture in car, and price tag at retail.

Noooooo, I don't think so.

The 1998 is a plentiful car and is depreciating pretty rapidlly. There is no reason that you have to pay retail, and also no reason you have to settle for less than a sharp car.

If you really REALLY like this car, I'd insist on a PPI and shoot for a target price of maybe $22K if the car is really sharp and has no major problems at time of sale.

Actually I wouldn't pay more than $20K for a '98 Boxster myself.
    The mileage on the car is okay, but there are too many red flags. I agree with the preceding posters.

Just fyi, the price on a 98 Boxster ranges from $17000 (poor condition) to $25950 (excellent condition). If y ou like the car so well that you're willing to put up with no end of grief for it, then figure the car at $22000, average condition, and (with no PPI) deduct $5000 for your risk, offering them $17000 (since you have to assume it is in poor condition).

Myself, I'd run like crazy from this one.

JW
  • boyhooddreamboyhooddream Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all of the information. I want a Boxster bad, but I am willing to wait for the right one.
  • boxsterloverboxsterlover Member Posts: 23
    First of all I would like to commend Porsche on the restyling of the 911 and the Boxster. I for one liked the style of the previous 911 after Porsche gave it a different headlight treatment from the one on the Boxster. As for the new Boxster, there was something about it that didn't hit me right. If you look at the rear 3/4 fender view you will see that the line separating the bumper from the body is a diagonal that cuts above the rear tail-light but on the 'old' Boxster, the line is horizontal and basically invisible. I am also not taken with the new design of the side air vents but I accept them as being more efficient though I wouldn't have drawn attention to them with bright grill work. The interior is a definite plus. On the whole, I like the Boxster shape a lot; at least Porsche was smart enough not to screw it up. As for my '03, I would have liked the extra horses but I couldn't be happier with it.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Porsche's Boxster roadster for 2005 will be, the company claims, the first roadster to offer side head protection airbags. The new system inflates an airbag from the top of the door panel, whereas side curtain impact protection typically drops down from a hardtop car's roofline. The new Boxster, by the way, has a wider track and wider wheels and tires than the first-generation car that launched in the U.S. in 1997. Two engines are being offered, including a 2.7-liter, 240-hp flat six and the 3.2-liter flat six in the Boxster S. At 280 hp, it will launch the new roadster from 0-100 km/h (0-62.5 mph) in 5.5 seconds. The new Boxster will offer optional ceramic brake discs; every Boxster will get six airbags and stability control. The Boxster starts from $43,800 and goes on sale in January.
  • jeb1jeb1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '01 Boxster.Please give me your most important tips for maintenance and care for my car. Thanks
  • cdallen2004cdallen2004 Member Posts: 30
    Hello guys:

I am a 19 year old, and a Dallas-based business owner. I own a internet/web based IT firm. I work in a pretty upscale residential/commericial neighborhood and I consider myself to be a business professional.

Down the street from the office builing, we have a Porsche and Mercedes dealership named Park Place Motors. They have been in this area for many years and it is well known to cater to Dallas' upscale automotive clients (the rich...lol).

I am considering buying a Porsche Boxster soon (the new redesigned model) and I was wondering what you all thought about a 19 year young man buying a car of this caliber. The only reason I am asking is because of the possible skeptism when it comes to a test drive. Do you think the dealer will take me seriously when it comes to test driving the car? Or should I go ahead and purchase the Porsche without ever driving it?

Just wanted to hear some advice on this. I am thinking that the dealership will just brush me off and not take me seriously.

Please help me!
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Maintain that '01, according to the manual....change the oil as soon as you get it, then once a year with Mobil One 0W40, and drive it like you stole it ;-)

Park Place should be willing to give you a test drive, especially this time of year. The '05s will not be in till late January, but driving an 04 should be enough to hook you. Maturity, rather than age, will decide if a Porsche is for you.

Good luck to both of you.
    Actually my test drive/dealership visit wont be until around March, but I consider myself to be very mature...that is, carrying myself in a manner that bespeaks an age much more than 19.
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    First off - avoid Park Place like the plague. Some may have good experiences there but a majority of my PCA friends and myself included have been appalled at some of the stuff they pull there. Boardwalk has been exceptional to deal with if you were to stick within the Dallas area. I have purchased 11 porsches new from dealerships all over the country and just purchased a Cayenne S from Boardwalk Porsche. One of the best experiences.

As far as your age: as long as you look respectable and carry yourself well, it should not be a problem. Park Place you might get ignored.

Before you buy, I'd recommend going to www.ppbb.com and learn all about the car you can before you buy it so you know exactly what you want and exactly what to look/lookout for. Sorry to bag on edmunds.com but that site contains hundreds of boxster enthusiasts who visit the site ebery minute.

good luck!
    thanks for info. I shall proceed to Boardwalk then....

does boardwalk have a better selection also?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    A phone call to give them a heads up wouldn't be a bad idea.... Just ask for the sales manager, and explain your situation....

Tell them you are interested, but you don't want to get blown off because of your age.. They might want to run a credit check or have you bring in some type of pre-approval for a loan for the car....

You might consider some of this to be unfair... but, you already seem to realize that your situation is unusual...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I went to a local auto show on Saturday and was gawking heavily at the new '05 triple black Boxster that was sitting there (locked of course). I totally dig the new design. Really clean and flowing. It was a low option car too, just heated seats, Boxster S wheels and maybe 1 0r 2 more options. The car stickered for under $50K, nice:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

A Speed Yellow Boxster S smoked the competition (Crossfire SRT6 Convertible, C6 Vette Convertible, & SLK 350) by taking first place in this month's (March 2005) C & D comparo test.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

You know.. I would pick the Boxster also.. but those comparos are just lame..

They'll rate each car on a dozen items and assign a number (1-10) to each rating... add them up.. then at the bottom.. Two categories.. "fun to drive", and "gotta have it" factor.... with 25 points available for each category... So, no matter how the numbers add up before that, whichever one they "like" the best wins..

What do you think? I've seen '01 Boxsters for around $25K.. That would be a nice family car for a guy with a wife and kid, right? Right??

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

definitely:)

I agree about comparos often being “lame”. Case in point is the R&T comparo of 6-cyl sport sedans in which the 5-series came in 6th out of 7. There is too much subjective input that skews performance realities.

That said, the Boxster S has always come out smelling like roses in the press. The only knock against it is price and sometimes materials and amenities. Even, then many reviewers justify cost by way of its excellence. One reviewer after killing it on materials went on to say that you can just feel the money in the performance hardware. And two descriptions that always seem to follow it around are—brilliant—the thoroughbred of the bunch.

When you consider cabin and cargo capacity in addition to its balanced torque/power curves, grip, steering, maneuverability, mid-engine balance and stunning appearance—it is a very special roadster with magnificent overall design. Cases are always made for other roadsters and certainly they are noteworthy based on certain isolated aspects. But when you add up the complete package, this Boxster S one tough cookie to beat. So is the non-S in my opinion.
    I agree completely... I'd pick the Boxster also... I have no qualms with their choice... just how they try to make it look like it is based on objective parameters..

Everyone knows that choosing a car isn't an objective task.. Just tell us what you like, and quit adding up goofy scores..

For my (hypothetical) fifty grand.. I'd take a non-S Boxster over the others, as well.. I'll take steering feel and balance over horsepower any day..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Balance & Handling are way more important to me than acceleration numbers. Give me the Boxster (base model) over any roadster in it's "price" class.

• hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Hi there,

sorry if something like this has been asked before... We have a 1999 Boxster and the rear window is a bit messed up. Do you have to replace the whole top or can someone just install a new window? We are in the SF Bay Area. Do certain places specialize in such repairs? Any hints and tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I think the Boxster is the same as the C2 in the rear window replacement, which is a dealer-only kit that glues in a new window.

If the dealer can't do it, call Franzini's in Terra Linda (Marin county) and they might be able to help you.
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Had a 2000 base Boxster for 3 years. Chose not to buy it at lease end. One of my dumber mistakes. Car was in the dealership 3 times in 3 years--3 oil changes, 15k check-up, and a recall for the gas cap. New Boxster seems to improve on the old one in just about every way. If business picks up just a bit more this year my toughest decision will be the base vs. the S.

As Porsche's ads have been saying for years: "Porsche, there is no substitute."
    The only "problem" with the S is the price; otherwise it is just about (IMHO) the best sports car you can buy under $75,000.
  • nils1nils1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a new 2005 Boxter, with only a few options. MSRP is $50,500. How much can I expect to be able to negotiate this time of year? Also, I have a 2004 Infinity FX35 to trade in here is Scottsdale. How is the trade-in experience generally at Porsche dealers. Do they usually offer "fair" value?
    Funny how an additional $7K is considered only "a few options" on a Porsche. I've read that Boxster sales are up a whopping 80% in January as compared to the same month last year, and the new model only became available on Jan. 15th. It seems people were waiting on this one so it does not bode well for bargains. I can't be positive about this so I encourage you to do your research.

I think the January launch worked to Porsche's favor. They get to overcome the winter doldrums and back it up with spring roadster demand.
    The Boxster S in the R&T comparo was loaded with $14K in options bringing the price up to $67K. But in my opinion you now get everything you need at the base price—even cruise control (which I never use), on-board computer and PSM. I think if I wanted the regular Boxster, the only thing I would consider upgrading is the wheels.

The only problem with getting a base vehicle is trying to find one in stock—they're non-existent—which means ordering one is not going to lend itself to bargains. HOWEVER, if dealers are getting close to retail now, it could make sense to go this route.

If a roadster is being used as a daily driver I could see throwing on the options, but most of them are weekend drivers—top down, doing the twist, wind in hair, listening to the engine. IMO they're toys, your own personal amusement-park go-cart. As a music lover I find that I really can't concentrate on music in this ride. I don't care how good the sound system is, you'd be hard-pressed to get into the finer qualities of music in a roadster, not that I'd even want to. News and occasional driving rock rhythms from the base sound system is all I want. Full leather? Go ahead, donate to Porsche. Nav? That's for people who never paid attention in the Boy Scouts ;-) I'd want no part of PASM, and if you really have a soft spot for the German economy, get the ceramic brakes.

You really do get what you need at the base price of $43.8K and $53.1K. Even though we love these cars, just remember, no one extorts like Porsche and if you need your options then you just have to pay the piper. Actually, I think they did a pretty decent job of not grabbing any of our vital organs with the base offerings this time around, and I think it behooves us not to have gotta-add-on syndrome if price is a major concern.
  • coolnerdcoolnerd Member Posts: 1
    I purchased such a porsche 05 boxter base (basalt metallic black), and I am REALLY enjoying the experience. Purchased for my 40th b-day gift to myself. Yes, heated seats, Boxter S wheels, upgraded stereo (not the bose), and the wind deflector. Purchased just north of 48K. Didn't get the Xenons though, they weren't on this model. I'd like to get some Blue / White H7 bulbs; however, does anyone have any good suggestions? I don't want to buy anything that will LOOK cheap. This will be a holdover until the dealer installed XENON upgrade becomes available.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..a nice looking coupe recently. Would that be a two seater? Still with the two trunks - - fore and aft (as we say in the Navy)? Think the price would come in less than the roadster?

I haven't had the Porsche nameplate since the 914 (and a cop - stopped me for weaving - referred to it as a Volkswagen). This sans Porsche ambiance might change with coupe availability..........ez
    All we've seen are spyshots and word from Porsche that it will preview at European auto shows in the fall. I don't think there is any official word on engine configuration and price but there is rumor that it will have power somewhere between the Boxster S and Carrera. Spyshots seem to indicate it will have a hatch yielding perhaps a little more cargo room than the roadster.
    Coupes as a rule are much more popular in Europe while we seem to prefer the drop top/retractable hardtop versions. I think it has to do with driving styles (we drive slower) and climate (generally more benign in our Sun Belt states where many sports cars live).