Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• boxsterloverboxsterlover Member Posts: 23
    I would like to hear people's opinions re the Porsche Cayman S which is supposed to be a coupe version of the Boxster slated to fill in the gap between the Boxster S and the 911. Autoweek online mentions it today and I was just wondering if anyone out there thinks that this is a good idea for Porsche. Do we really need another car to fit between the Boxster S and the 911? What about producing something at the lower end of the price scale?
  • cdallen2004cdallen2004 Member Posts: 30
    Hey guys.

I really like the new Porsche Boxster and I spend alot of time researching it, looking at pics of it, etc. So, I have decided to place myself in the market for this cute little sports car. Where I am moving (Oaklawn neighborhood of Dallas, Texas), there are lots of people drive Boxsters and 911's due to the higher income of the people that live there.

So my question is: Could I possibly lease a Boxster with paying the full lease amount in cash? If I do that, I am assuming that no credit issues would arise. Am I right? If my lease on a Boxster is one year, and I pay the entire year upfront in cash, do you think I have a good chance of taking delivery of the vehicle?

Thanks for your input.
  • dohenydoheny Member Posts: 1
    Axxlrod,

I did almost the same thing. I just assume someone's lease of a 2001 Boxster, that had 21000 miles, and there are 17 months remaining. The car is in great shape, but I am worried about returning it at the end of the term and getting charged fees. Have you returned it yet? Have you had any problemns with it yet. My warranty expires in August, so I'm tempted to go in for a inspection while the warranty is still going.

I'd love to hear your comments.
  • visorvisor Member Posts: 8
    This is my first experience with buying a porsche. I have 3 options from a WA dealer. Since the prices are in the same range, I am leaning towards the boxster S.
    1) Appreciate if someone could help me with which is the best of the 3 options?
    2) Is there anything specific I need to check?
    3) And how much can I negotiate down from the quoted price?

Thanks.
  • ecuke1ecuke1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 boxster S and it does not have cup holders. It has cd holders (4) which I cannot use since it does not have a in dash cd. Wondering if I could remove the dumd cd holders and replace with factory cup holders????
  • visorvisor Member Posts: 8
    I am sorry i missed posting the options I am looking at, here you go.
    2004 Brand new Seal Grey Boxster
    Black Top
    Graphite Grey Standard Leather
    Bose (Digital) with Wind stop
    Xenon Headlights
    18" Lt Alloy Carrerra Wheels
    CD Shelf Center Console
    Wheel Caps with Colored Crests
    Cruise Control
    Remote Control Alarm System
    Graphite Grey Floor Mats
    MSRP of $51805
    Sale Price of $45177

2004 Atlas grey boxster
    Certified Preowned
    17-inch Boxster S II wheel
    Automatic air conditioning
    BOSE® (Digital) with Windstop
    CD Shelf Center Console
    Cruise Control
    Heated Seats
    Litronic Headlights with Washer
    Remote Control Alarm
    Wheel Caps with Color Crest
    Sale Price of $44995
    Negoed down to 42995

2003 Black Boxster S
    Certified Preowned
    18" Carrera Wheel
    Cruise Control
    Heated Seats
    Hi-Fi Sound Package (Digital)
    Litronic Headlights with Washer
    On Board Computer
    Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
    Remote Control Alarm
    Wheel Caps with Color Crest
    Wind Deflector
    Sale Price of $44995
    May come down to 42995
  • terpfan2terpfan2 Member Posts: 7
    Not sure if these have already been posted, but here goes:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3892
  • boyhooddreamboyhooddream Member Posts: 4
    First of all, I value the ideas and opinions of the members of this board. I need some feedback with regards to purchasing a pre-owned Boxter in my area. The car is a 1997 base boxster with 35,000 miles. The dealer is asking $18,900. I have ran a carfax report on it and came back clean. The body/paint is in excellent condition. There is some sun fade to the carpet, but the top is in excellent condition. I did notice that the floor mats are somewhat faded, but I can't tell if this is due to cleaning the mats or an indication of previous moisture.

Is there anything that I should be concerned with before considering purchasing this vehicle? If purchased, this will be a daily driver. So I would like to know the pros and cons of this. Thanks in advance.
  • terpfan2terpfan2 Member Posts: 7
    Consider having a Porsche dealer perform a certified Porsche inspection and ask the seller to pay for it or split it with you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, don't rely entirely on CARFAX. They do offer useful info, but I do want to mention that I just ran a carfax on a '96 Porsche Turbo Coupe that I know landed on its roof two years ago in a 100 mph crackup, and the report came out perfectly clean on the car.

So a diligent inspection is certainly in order.
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Hopefully it's a Porsche dealer you're working with, and the car is Certified, meaning you'll get several years of of warranty with it.

If not, I'd insist that an extended warranty be included, and do get a complete pre purchase inspection, from someplace totally independent of the sale.

Good luck!
    the price needs negotiating--around $17,000 would be good I think.
  • discoduck88discoduck88 Member Posts: 2
    I'm buying a 2002 Boxster in a private sale in New York City for $27,500. The car has 19,500 miles on it. Well kept exterior and exterior condition. The options includes the following:

Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Telescoping Wheel
    AM/FM Stereo
    Aftermarket Multi Compact Disc/speakers blown
    Dual Front Air Bags
    F&R Side Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Full Leather
    Dual Power Seats
    Rear Spoiler

Dealer warranty until May, 2006.

Can someone throw in their two cents and tell me about any pros or cons about this deal?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Other than full leather, it doesn't sound like this car has any options?

And a busted stereo?

Nice low miles... Not sure about the price.. What color combo is it?

Have you had the car checked out for body/paint work? Or looked at the service history?

Condition is everything on a Porsche.. for real-world value, color combo and options are important, too..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• discoduck88discoduck88 Member Posts: 2
    Meridian exterior and blueist interior. Will bring to mechanic for inspection. Not too much option on this one. But thought the price was right for my first Porsche.
    Price is okay, not great not bad. For private party sale it should be about $1,000 less. There are a lot of these cars on the market right now so you shouldn't have to pay a premium. But if you paid $27.5 that's not too bad...more like a dealer price than a private party price.

This presumes NO PROBLEMS and no paint/body defects. Deduct accordingly if the inspection shows up something.
  • santo1santo1 Member Posts: 4
    Don't know if you've purchased or not...but I leased, and wanted a maintenance package...there wasn't one available...should have been a big clue for me, but "they" assured me that I would only have the two oil changes during my lease and one tuneup...ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...not enough ha's in this world...tires went out at 15,000, clutch went out at 22,000, brakes out at 26,000, which has brought me to my newest and most long-lived car problem ever...
    I was told that my brakes needed to be replaced completely, front, rear, rotors, sensors...$1,800...I'd had it with all the costs of this car, and went searching for another shop...finally found a small shop, one-man shop, who works primarily on Porsches. He told me I needed front pads only, the rear had 50% pad left, the rotors were pristine...$190...but the front right tire started squealing, a sound that made me think the tires had worn through and the rim was hitting the road, metal to metal sound...braking had no effect, have been dealing with this for five months, relubed the caliper, checked clips, new set of pads, new rotor, and still the sound won't go away...dealership's answer: new pads, new rotors, new sensors...I don't think they like that I'm going somewhere else and they're not about to help me...
    think long and hard about how often these "soft, but high-performance" parts will have you at the dealership...and don't think it's my driving, I had a Mustang for three years before that, never replaced brakes, tires changed at 45,000, no clutch replacement...
    That's the price of sophistication I'm afraid. A framing hammer needs less maintenance than a sewing machine, or something like that. If the feel and build quality of a Porsche don't make up enough of a difference from your old Mustang, than you are right, it's not worth it to you. You have to enjoy what you are paying for in other words on some level other than $$$.

I can't explain the clutch at all but the tires would probably wear faster on a Porsche because you'll get higher cornering speeds and you'd tend to drive faster in the twisties than with a Mustang. Porsche also may use a softer tire material as OEM, for better wet weather handling and/or ride quality. You can buy "iron tires" for any car that will last forever, but they have their drawbacks.

Your brake problem is mysterious. Rotors should always be replaced on the Boxster as a rule but if not they should at least be carefully measured. Just going on how they "look" might not be good enough. Too bad for that shop---mechanic's nightmare---the problem without solution. It happens now and then.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I like the new Boxster S but have always assumed it had one fatal flaw for me; but thought I'd ask to make sure. Can you confirm that a golf bag will not fit into the car? I assume that's the case, and if so I'll go back to thinking of Corvettes. . . .
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    A regular sized golf bag does fit - don't know about the tour sized bags though! Only thing you have to do is take the woods out and lay them separately then it's a done deal.

If you're thinking about a vette though - completely different animal, completely. You're comparing apples to oranges.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, I have to do the same (remove woods) in my wife's A6, because the trunk is narrow. I understand the corvette and boxster are different animals, but I need to get golf clubs in there before they are even under consideration.
    This post is re-post of #338 without the user's email address. Please DON'T post your e-mail address in your messages (you'll get spammed by spybots) or ask to be e-mailed an answer, since we want EVERYBODY here to get the benefit of the answer!

--------------------------------------------------

338 of 338 Boxster Mishap by andy14 Mar 20, 2005 (11:20 pm)

Hi...well to make this story short. I did install some Wheel-spacers today but this time I used 15 mm instead of the 1 inch I had on. Well, I used the the same bolts and to my luck it turned out that they are to long and busted the little springs inside the brake disc housing ( Again no idea what this aprt of Axle/brake is called). My question is > what are these Springs for...you can see them when you look through the Hex of the opening where the Bolts go...and do I need to replace them...I am lost since I have no glue what these little springs are for and what part number or even what they are called...lost and now the car is not running because of the metal on metal noise it makes...baaaaaaad noise....please help...thanks Andy
    Ah, you have wiped out your emergency brake springs and yes you will have to replace them. This will require removal of the caliper and everything else in the way to inspect and correct the damage.
  • andy14andy14 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks..you r 100% right....well I guess I have to take the pain and do that....Andy
    It was an honest error...this stuff happens, and it's not a catastophe, like misthreading a head bolt or something. It's a nut and bolt job.
  • otownvetteotownvette Member Posts: 2
    Chile96 is correct, a standard size golf bag will fit, but the driver and any other long woods will have to be place in separately. This was also one of my requirements and I conducted the test myself. IMO, I think that they fit better in the Boxster than the Vette. After test driving everything over the last few weeks, on order the Boxster S on Saturday. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

Peace
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I just purchased a 2005 Boxster and am enjoying every minute of it. The styling is perfect now that the corners are more voluptuous and the headlights are clear and rounder. The new interior is superior to the older version in fit/finish and layout. I can't say enough good things about the exhaust note and ride quality. I hope to enjoy this beast for many years to come. It purposefully has minimal options (heated seats, stereo upgrade but not Bose, colored wheelcaps, floor mats, dimming mirrors/wipers, and plusher seats. I did get the upgraded leather interior which is well worth it for the look vs. standard buckets. Only burned 1/4 quart of Mobil-1 in first 400 miles with light to moderate driving style. Dealer recommended break-in style driving for first 2000 miles but mainly for tires, brakes, etc.. Too bad I'm getting snow tonight or I'd be out driving right now. Warm weather can't come soon enough. Good luck to all who are considering this fabulous car.
  • newbrewnewbrew Member Posts: 1
    I have a Callaway bag with legs and a full set of Callaway clubs. I take the clubs out of the bag and can fit them and the bag (and my shoes) in the back trunk no problem.

The problem is when I need to travel with my hard roller case. I have to make sure it's a nice day and I can put the top down.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    No factory cupholders. I'd bet a sportscar deutchlander porschephile would spit on you for the suggestion. ;)

In any case you can purchase cupholders that clip over the airvents on the dash. They are cheap and cheezy but they are better than your lap.
  • romerome Member Posts: 19
    I would appreciate thoughts on the following dillema--

I have a condo in Miami where I spend about 4 weeks a year for vacation, and random weekends here and there in the winter months.

I want to purchase a pre-owned Boxster S to keep down there and use for fun when my wife and I are in Miami. I don't expect that I will drive the car more than 2,000- 3,000 miles or so per year, if that.

I want to spend $25-$30K for a pre-owed with as few miles as possible. That will translate to about $400/per month, financed over 6 years.

I really love the idea of having that beautiful car down there, and really babying it. No cold weather, no snow etc. My thought is that I will be able to enjoy the car for many, many years because I won't be putting on many miles and its styling won't become outdated. (Those 10 year old 911's still look pretty damn good).

Am I nuts? We can afford it, but it seems like throwing money away unless the car retains a reasonable amount of its value (say 50%) over the next 10 years. (As my wife points out, you can rent a Boxster in Miami for a day rate of about $275, so for what I will be paying to buy the car, I could get a rental for about 20 days a year.

1. How much will the car likely depreciate with that little use over the next few years? Market value of these cars (pre-owned) seems to be declining given oversupply, but how low could it go if the car has less than 30,000 miles?

2. Will its styling continue to be appealing 5-10 years from now, or will it feel outdated? (Exisitng owners may have the best perspective on this).

3. Is it harmful to the car if it is not driven every day? (I'm sure the valet in my building would start it weekly, but there will me months at a time when it is not driven).

4. Any suggestions regarding what year and what level mileage car I could expect to acquire at the $30K price point? I am hoping to get a 2001 or later with less than 20K miles (and this appears to be not unrealistic in a private (non-dealer) sale based on my preliminary analysis of the market and KBB).

5. How do I convince my wife that I am not doing this to pick up babes on South Beach?

Any thoughts?
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Sorry to join in a bit late. Had a 2000 Boxster for 3 years. Had a full size, but not tour bag. If I took the driver out of the bag everything else fit in nicely.

Time to go and drive an '05 "S" to see if I want to delay retirement a few years and get back into the Porsche program.
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Found myself at the local Porsche store yesterday. Figured it was time to visit my money. Drove a 2005 base Boxster, nicely, but not outrageously equipped. A noticeable and marked improvement over my 2000 base Boxster. Interior materials are vastly superior in feel, appearance, & quality. Body seems tighter. Gearbox has clearly shorter shift throws. Always outstanding Proche brakes are now even better with the cross-drilled rotors. All in all, a very nice evolution of the breed.

According to my sales guy, Prosche has tried to do something about golf clubs. He says that the right rear fender wall has been hollowed out a bit more so that clubs will fit without having to be taken out of the bag. Did not get a chance to try it as I did not have my clubs in the car I was driving.

All I have to do now is to see if I can justify $51,000 on a summer toy.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I subscribe to AutoWeek and in the classified section towards the rear they have dealers advertising quite a few leftover '04 Boxster & Boxster S models. While many don't list pricing, it has got to be pretty good with the 987s out already. I guess then the (rhetorical) question becomes...how good of a deal are they going to give me that would make it worth my while not to get an '05 at say $2K under sticker.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    One of the dealers here in Cincinnati has been advertising $8K off MSRP on their leftover Boxsters.. I think they only have 4-5 left... Just for a reference point..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

online inventory. Shows a beautiful Dark Red/Black/Black 5 Speed 2004 Boxster. His advertised price on the website is $42,500. I'll bet they'd definitely sell that car for well under $40K just to get rid of it. We've had eight straight days of sunshine and NO RAIN here in the NYC area. Driving around after work today, I got bit by the convertible bug (envy those that have them and use them, want to take away the cars of people who drive around with their TOPS UP on a day like today). Too bad there's no money in the budget for a 3rd car :cry:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• porschemanporscheman Member Posts: 1
    Stop complaining!
    Just purchase a set of golf clubs with collapsible shafts.
    Why does everyone insist on running down the beautiful Porsche Boxter?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......the boxster look really personifies this nice looking vehicle.........ez
  • boxster98slvrboxster98slvr Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased my new boxster. Its silver and its a 98...I really really like it. I am not current with the cleaning methods. Anyone? Thanks ..ME
  • boxster98slvrboxster98slvr Member Posts: 2
    OH ya, my wife also purchased a boxster. It is a 2001 boxster S. It rattles in first gear, just upon engagement of the clutch and giving it gas. After total release of the clutch the sound goes away. What do you think this could be? Throwout bearing? This particular boxster has the 6 speed tranny....Any ideas, please advise....
    you've got a 98 Boxster and you're wife has an '01 Boxster S? Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't it be the other way around? LOL! All kidding aside, I wish I could be in that position (any Boxster is better than NO Boxster). How many miles does each car have? Did you purchase them from private parties or dealers? Are these your daily drivers?

• cc12359cc12359 Member Posts: 31
    Hi,

Anyone know how much is the hardtop and the wind deflector?
    Do they works well?
    How's the wind noise with the hardtop and just the deflector?

Thanks
  • confused66confused66 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a Boxster, but don't know enough about them to decide if I want a Boxster or Boxster S. I'm currently looking for a used 2003 because I figure I can get it at a better price and I really want the glass rear window. I've read that the S is a little faster and handles a little better, but am I really going to notice the few extra horsepower? Am I better off saving my money and just getting the standard Boxster (especially since the S models seem so hard to come by?) Should I just get a 2002 model and have the dealer install a glass window in it?

Appreciate any insights you can share with a newbie. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_confused.gif
    confuse
  • boxsterloverboxsterlover Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2003 Boxster S with the optional 18" rims and the Porsche crest. Unfortunately while driving in New York City, I hit a pothole that caused a sizeable bend in the rim and made the tire go flat. I was able to limp to a gas station where the rim was hammered back to a point that the tire could be mounted and there apperared to be no leak. The car, which is a weekend vehicle, is resting quietly in a garage out of town. If after 6 days I notice that the air is low in the tire and want to get a new rim, can the crest be removed from one rim and put on another and what would happen in the case of the new Boxsters with run-flat tires? In my case, the tire was fine but the seal between the rim and the tire was broken. At least I had the doughnut in case all else failed.
  • dbthdbth Member Posts: 9
    Any info on when porsche will have bluetooth technology.
  • powderanimalpowderanimal Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at used Boxsters and S's, too. Probably in the $20-30K range.
    Seems to me for the same price you can get an S that is a year older or with more miles. I have a couple of general questions.

Would you recommend an older S or a newer Boxster.
    Would you recommend an S with higher miles or a Boxster with lower miles?
    Are there any model years to avoid for the Boxster or the S?
    What models have glass rear windows?

Thanks in Advance.
    Don't be confused..........

Buy the newest, lowest mileage Boxster you can afford, S or base.

With some work, you should be able to find an '03 car, which was the first year of the glass rear window, in the very low $30K range.

Yea, you can use the center Porsche cap on a new wheel, but first try finding a wheel repair shop either through your dealer, PCA if your a member, or the yellow pages. They car usually be fixed. Another very good reason for 17" wheels, IMO.
  • chanderchander Member Posts: 21
    A dealer is offering a 02 S for 38.5K with 12.5 K miles-a resonable deal?
  • contadino2contadino2 Member Posts: 2
    Are you happy with the mid range stereo?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'm more in the market for a new 911 than a Boxster, but in answer to your question regarding a used base or "S" Boxster, I would strongly lean towards the "S". I drove both back in late 2001 (2002 models) and the base Boxster was noticably underpowered, IMO. I ended up with a Honda S2000 at $32k instead of the Boxster S at $55k+, but there was no way I could have settled for the base Boxster over either of these two.

I'm not sure if the new Boxster's increase in horsepower diminishes the difference, but the added power of the "S" in 2002 was very noticable. Even the handling improvement was very noticable. And I am not a professional driver.
    The new Boxster with the 2.7L has just about the same straight line acceleration as the older, 3.2L Boxster S. These cars are much more about balance, smoothness and handling, than off the line "power". Both handle just about the same, as any professional driver will state, IMO, of course. The S2000 is a very nice, and VERY different car than the Boxster.

The only way to prove it, is to go for a looong test drive in each yourself. Good luck.