Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Ds2k… You are right about the luscious sound of the engine… it sings in harmony… has that jet-like whir with baritone exhaust. The latter reminds me of a tenor sax. Sometimes I even prefer not to turn on the juke box… would rather hear the music of the engine coming over the shoulder… real sweet when it gets into the alto range above 4K rpm.
        You asked about my deal… 02, stickered for $56.5K, paid $42, SP, PSM, cruise. My salesman concurs with yours about break-in. Personally, my intuition agrees with the manual and I am deferring to it.

Speeds2much… I am also vigilant and carefully choose moments, like anyone who values his license. BTW, my dealer has an 03 S with your name on it… red/gray asking 44.9. You could probably get it for 43.

Jwilson1…"What some fail to realize is that oil leaks are, in a P-car, a no-cost option!" I guess this explains why the manual recommends checking oil with every gas fill. I suppose it’s as forthcoming as a company can be. Funny, the Boxster dipstick reminds me of a catheter with stent. What is it, some 40in. long?

Wantaboxster2… regarding maintenance costs, you are wise to look into it… not like me… I'll learn as I go along and just pay the piper when necessary. It seems the general consensus is that Boxsters are overpriced. Also, you must pay for routine maintenance, unlike a BMW with which you get 4-yr/50K mi free maintenance. There are other sports cars that offer more "value", but IMO none have the Porsche pedigree in all manner of style and performance. I've been dreaming about one for 30 years now so this is something I really can't put a price tag on. In addition you are very right, this is Porsche bargain time. Last year my salesman told me "Porsche doesn't discount" with that haughty attitude we are all familiar with. Recently he said "I really thought I'd never see this happen." Didn't anyone ever tell him that all things must pass?

Jhammell… I'm not up on 04 pricing because it didn't interest me. However, I know you can get an 03 at a really good price… $9K or $10K off sticker… but not with all of the options you listed… leftovers are always a compromise. But if you gotta have it your way, go for it.

Chile96… how are those pizza runs going? Get lost yet? My wife is starting to get it, especially when I reminded her that my mother, sister, her sister and a good friend of her's all drive stick and are ogling this baby. If she doesn't come around, that's OK too... I can live with the guy thing!
    ______

Well I made it to the mileage millenium. Every day when I climb in and fire it up, it's like a teen-age crush... I don't want to work, don't want to go home… just want to drive my butt off. Too bad there's such a thing called reality. Can't wait for that first 60-degree-winter-day anomaly so I can play hooky and lose the top.

Hey, a little anecdote… last night on a certain highway entrance I got up to speed quickly and inadvertently overtook a late-model M3 that was loping along. I guess he thought I was spreading testosterone so he got on my tail in a flash. I just pulled over into the right lane, gave him the thumbs-up and "let" him pass. Told myself, boy, you are green-on-the-vine and that's an M3. As Harry Callahan said… a man's gotta know his limitations. I suppose this will be happening quite often. No matter, sprints aren't my bag anyway… I like curves… and as Wolfman Jack used to say—baby, if you got the COYVES, I got da ANGLES!

Only 70 days 'til Spring… man, this car rocks and I'm lovin' it!

;-)
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Is that Carmon Red or Guards Red? Carmon is one of my favorites...would be extra sweet on grey. I'm tempted, but will suffer with my X-Type for a while until I have a garage and opportunity for a second car. Lots of interesting stuff going on, but in the Porsche dept. will have to live vicariously through you. ;o)
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    designman, I'd like you well enough just for your citation of Wolfman Jack, even without your new Boxster ... haven't heard anyone appreciate his wisdom in awhile!

Checking the oil is a stitch, ain't it? And when the oil's clean, it seems especially hard. Another Porsche tradition -- on some of the older model boards there are folk who've come up with various tricks to change the clarity of the reading on the dipstick! lol JW
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    Thanks to designman and jwilson1 for the responses. Yesterday I emailed about 75 dealers in the Southeast (and a bit of the Midwest) what I was looking for in the car. Today at 10:01 AM the phone and emails starting coming and now at 4:00 PM I have heard back from approximately 20 dealers. As thought no one has the exact car but it appears that there may be a few that come close and we are willing to compromise for a significant savings.

I have driven a 911 at Road Atlanta and know that there is a difference between the 911 and the Boxster. The 911 is an awesome automobile. We want to have a convertible (since we will sell our '94 Saab 900S convertible to make room for the Boxster) but a new 911 convertible is much more money than we want to spend on a new car.

I will keep you posted as to how this turns out.

JH
    Ah yes, the Edmund's tradition at work!

Good luck. JW
    Any luck with your search? I agree with you on the 996 cab. Great car, but when compared with a Boxster it's a hard sell. The cab makes sense for someone who simply doesn't care about the money. I can make a case for the 996 coupe, for its driving excellence, but the cab, I don't really get it.
  • cindyroderickcindyroderick Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone have any info on the next genration Boxster?

Will there be a coupe?

Will Boxster offer a Hard-Top convertible like Mercedes and Lexus do?
    1. Not really. Best guess is for 2006 or 07.

2. So they say. Reality or a guess? Who knows. A coupe has long been requested but Porsche has shown hesitation in developing the Boxster. They have to do something pretty soon because the present model is just sitting on the lots ... some have supposed the coupe may be added to the 986 version but that's wishful thinking.

3. Not even much discussion of this. That format carries lots of extra weight and most Porsche buyers would be reluctant to trade in their performance for that sort of high style. JW
    speeds2much... it's Guards Red... agree, Carmen/Grey is nice. Hey, that Jag is real nice too... and it does the right thing in NE weather. We're at 8 degrees with 7 inches right now in my area and I'm warming up for the second shift with the shovel. Had a rare 911 sighting yesterday. Most of them are tucked away for the winter so I suppose it will be a while before the next one peeks out from under the snow.

JW - I still have 911 on the brain. I just told my wife the other day that I want to move to NJ, further from NYC so we can get a bigger house. My next vision is a 4-car garage replete with carpentry workshop. That fourth spot would be for say a 89 cab or targa. Make that a five car garage and throw in an E39 M5 or 88 M6. Throw in the divorce papers too. Actually, she's getting a kick out of this "guy thing", so we'll see how far I can push it.

Sorry for the rant, it's either that or newbie drivel.

;-)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I once did a cartoon about how to convert a useless bedroom into a 4 car garage. In the cartoon world, it seemed easy enough with a chain saw. I used the back wall as a ramp and the half-bath made a great parts cleaning area. You might want to discuss this with your wife.
    Mr. Shiftright, all of that background once again translates into strong moral leadership! LOL. What is one man's cartoon is another man's (designman's) vision. JW
    It's sub-zero again here in PA and the roads are pretty treacherous. Can't say I've seen a Porsche yet in all this slop. I'm temporariliy retracting my encouragement to bring a scarf in the Boxster...but it's not as cold as Killington was a few years back: -80 F with wind chill on the mountain. Once I figured that out, I found better entertainment at the bar...
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    Sub Zero?! Well, I was contemplating putting the top down on the way into the office today, but it was probably low 50's and looked a little bit like rain was a possibility, so I thought I'd save the TDM (the acronym I use now to refer to "tops-down motoring") for a little nicer weather. For us Californians, that was ungodly cold and inclement. Sub zero? What, are you crazy? Can man actually live in that stuff, let alone contemplate a nice drive? Hat's off to ya! (Well, given the weather, maybe you'd better leave the hat on, I guess)
    I know that some Boxsters are built in Finland. Are they all built in Finland? Any issues with build quality of the Finland cars?
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Over 95% of '03 Boxsters were made in Finland. Many would argue they are better than the custom Boxsters (unique options) that are made in Stuttgard.
  • chapanschapans Member Posts: 4
    the resale value for the boxter is horrible. I bought an 03 boxter 7 months ago, and decided to trade it in for a 04 530. the car is terrible on the highway, and has no space,its loud. not a good pracrtical car. it is fun to drive thoguh.i recieved 4k off so paid 46k for a 50k car, it had 18,bose,alarm system. i only recieved 35,500 when i traded it in. i shopped around thats all i could get.so lost 10,000$ in 6 months. i am posting this message not to put down porsche, but so others will not make the same mistake i did.
    Just curious ... seems odd that you would have cofused it with a big car.

20% depreciation on a new car is pretty normal, especially when you're in a new model year. JW
    Sounds like you had a highly optioned base Boxster. Since options count for next to nothing on trade in, and left over 03's are going for $10-12K off MSRP, you did very well on the trade.

Wait till you see what your beemer depreciates in a year. Hope you test drove it, BEFORE you bought it...this time.
  • chapanschapans Member Posts: 4
    I actually did drive the car, nor did i confuse it with a bigger car. i drove the car in summer , top down, so i just fell for it. having only one car, i thought i could manage with the lack of trunk space and manage with bad weather. but living in the midwest, you can have the top down only half the year, i admit, i did not think the purchase through enough. i doubt the bimmer will lose as much. they dont offer 10-12k off 03 bmws, there is more of demand for bmw. i feel a little better now that u guys say i did ok on the deal. thanks. i know people that have traded lexus, benz, and bmw and they dont have that bad of depreciation. the porsche is great 2/3rd car, but not a primary car in my humble opinion.it was highly optioned, the wheels cost 3k.it looked much better with them. i have noticed many 03 boxters with 6-8k, like mine, for sale and deduced others made the same mistake as i did and just wanted people to be aware of the current trade in values of slightly used 03 boxters. take care all.
    Good luck with the new ride! Cars are way too expensive not to enjoy what you have.

I was curious so I priced out a couple of BMWs -- 330i -- here at Edmund's, an '04 at TMV and an 03 with 7000 miles at the TMV dealer trade in. YMMV of course, since I live in NE and have no idea what you bought.

04 MSRP, well-equipped, $46900; TMV about $44500.

03 w/same equip and 7000 miles, trade in for $28900 approx.

This shows a depreciation of about 1/3. I don't think I made a mistake; if I did, apologies. My point is, depreciation is big time: the less time, the bigger the hit. Unless you buy a very special, high demand limited supply car, you get killed ... when the Boxster first came out, e.g., you could sell it for more than MSRP for months; same with S2000 and with 350Z; the new Bimmer 3 next year will have good resale for a year, but yours (on an 04) will drop like a rock. It's just supply/demand, nothing to do with the quality of a car. Unless of course it's a used Yugo. LOL. JW
  • wantaboxster2wantaboxster2 Member Posts: 3
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a triple black Boxster S yesterday. I was only able to get $10,000 off of the MSRP. I had heard some people were getting close to $12,000 off. Anything greater than the $10,000 off was the walking point for the dealer. He also had others looking at the car and it was the last one so I decided to get it. I will pick it up whenever the sleet stops. I hope that I enjoy the car as much as I have wanted it.
  • boxsterloverboxsterlover Member Posts: 23
    I would be interested in hearing how the Bought Mine Yesterday's '03 Boxster S was equipped. I have seen one ad for an '03 Boxster S also triple black for the same price. I am only interested in the manual transmission. The other ads show cars that are more expensive. I will be looking tomorrow for '03 Boxster S's for the first time. Does anyone know if you can add a PSM system to a car that doesn't have it? Thanks.
  • wantaboxster2wantaboxster2 Member Posts: 3
    The Boxster S wasn't as equipped as I would like but it had the necessities. It came with the PSM, Hi Fi Sound, 18" wheels with Colored Crests and CD Shelf Center. I would have liked to have the Bose System and cruise control but couldn't pass up the price. I don't know where your located but there is a good deal on a triple black boxster in the Philadelphia area. It has everything list above and a few other options. They were also willing to sell the car for a better price than I got but the trade-in wasn't as good for my existing car. Good luck.
    Of course you can do anything with enough money, but imo it's not practical to hope to add it to a car that's already built. JW
    Congratulations on the Boxster, wantaboxster2. From the look of your handle, I'd guess you've been dreaming about the Porsche for some time.

Regarding the Bose stereo, you might consider yourself lucky. It's not the greatest of stereos, really, and I hear a lot of complaints about it from Porsche owners. Have you ever visited a Tweeters in the Philly area? You might want to install an Alpine at some point.
    $10K off a Boxster is a very good deal, BUT, now you've got to change your handle, wantaboxster2.

I can't believe anyone has ever added PSM aftermarket. Just not feasible. Get winter snow tires if it's a daily driver.

For a couple of hundred dollars you can get rear speakers that fit in the storage unit and work well. Not Bose, but a lot less expensive, and I to, have heard lots of complaints about the Bose. Who would want to drown out the sweet purr on the engine, anyway?

Does anyone have an objection to dropping the "S" from this Boxster topic? Seems like we're excluding the 60% of non "S" Boxster owners. If OK, can Mr. Shiftright accomodate this request?
    Just got my brand new '03 Boxster S about 3 weeks ago. It was lightly optioned (18" carrera wheels, Bose stereo, floormats) and I got it for about $11K off MSRP. Just to give you some more info./ammunition with the dealer. Hope that's helpful.

As mentioned, my car has the Bose stereo and it has its strengths and weaknesses. When standing still, or driving slowly, the bass is super boomy. It can actually be almost painfully boomy. It's not terribly good with general FM radio, either - too boomy, not enough detail, poor reception. But after tinkering with it awhile - playing with the bass, treble, fader, balance - I found several settings that work very well. The stereo saves different configurations for both FM and CD, which is nice. And it's actually quite good with CDs. I've found a few CDs that, after finding the sweet spot in the settings, sound absolutely awesome. All in all, I'm happy I got the Bose because I hear the base stereo is complete crap and I'm a bit of an audiophile. Is it worth $1800 (which does include the wind deflector)? Depends on how much music matters to you. With that said, unless I'm on the highway cruising, I don't typically have the radio on anyway - the sound of the engine is just too sweet to drown out.

Good luck!
    One week and one day into my 2003 Boxster campaign I can report that I am still "Boxsterless". Having received over 40 unique responses (almost all of which informed me that they had my exact car waiting) from my 80 plus requests the closest I have come is an "S" in a neighboring state which is missing PSM, sport or power seats, trip computer and the rigid chassis. Plus it is in one of our least favorite colors. Unless this dealership really wants me to get an incredible deal (say $50k for a $63k MSRP) I will end up ordering one later this year.

One thing I did hear often was that I don't need PSM (even in a regular Boxster), the sport chassis is too rigid for the street and only suitable for the track and that the sport seats are not comfortable. I heard this especially when their '03 units in stock lacked these items. Perhaps the most interesting was the salesperson trying to tell me that I could only really see the difference with the xenon's when the high beams were being used rather than the low beams.

Does anyone have any experience with PSM, sport chassis and sport seats ?

Thx,

JH
    "Does anyone have an objection to dropping the "S" from this Boxster topic? Seems like we're excluding the 60% of non "S" Boxster owners. If OK, can Mr. Shiftright accomodate this request?"

GOOD IDEA in my opinion.

BTW congrats to all new owners.

Boxster ROCKS!

;-)
    PSM, sport chassis, sport seats, and xenon --

1) I wouldn't own a car without xenon. Upgrading my 964 with aftermarket litronic kit.

2) PSM is brilliant. In ordinary driving it is invisible. It will even let you mess around a bit, unlike the very conservative, liability-driven units from most mfgrs. But if you truly start to lose it, it will catch the car and haul you back. For a street car, and beginners on track, it's terrific.

3) Is sport chassis rigid. Well, it's a sports car. Do you enjoy a firm ride or prefer a softer cruise? Subjective judgment, unless you plan to track or autoX .... then it, or an aftermarket setup is pretty useful. (This is one of my aggravations ... Porsche never asked traditionally. You got the race car chassis with the base model. But they figured out a way to add yet another option. Reminds me of years ago when GM tried to charge extra for a spare tire.)

4) Sport seat comfort. Depends on how you're built. A wide beam will squeeze, perhaps way too much. But if you're narrow-hipped you'll find great comfort. I'm 6'2", 200# and the seats are fine -- I have trouble with leg room in the Boxster, but the seats are all good.

Are you going to cruise about town or do you plan to drive more athletically? And I agree with you that salesmen will tell you whatever they need to to get you to settle for what they've got. You were thinking about an order originally; that may be best, or perhaps a search for a good used one? JW
    Thanks for your insite in your responses. It is becoming more apparent that I will end up ordering this car as I know what I want and this car doesn't come from the factory that way unless an enthusiast orders one. So sign me up for PSM, sport chassis, sport seats etc. and all I have to do is find a dealer that will take the order and not try to make their month on the margins off this deal !

I will keep everyone posted.

JH
    Okay, we'll drop the S, seems fair enough. Or maybe just include both in the title...YEAH, that seems better.
    Now why didn't I think of that. Mr Shiftright, yooda man! We can't go to press though with a typo in the hedline. Just put an '"s" in the first Bockster ;-)
    Oops---cookie crumbs under the S key again!

Okay, corrected!
    Mr. Ssssssssshiftright. That's sssssuperb!
    Just picked up my new 2003 Boxster S with 120 miles on it for about $10,000 off list. It has xenons, 18" wheels, Bose, PSM and a few other goodies that I would not have ordered such as seat warmers but it looks and rides beautifully. I did install a K40 undetectable radar/laser device. The website dogpile.com under the heading radar detectors did not rate Valentines too highly. My only problem so far with the Boxster is that you can't swivel the sun visors.
    what color is your boxster s? wonderful car, isn't it? the sun visor thing really surprised me. why wouldn't those swivel? makes no sense to me and i even called the dealership to make sure i wasn't missing something. also, although it fits pretty well, i was disappointed the seat belt isn't up/down adjustable. other than that, practically perfect.
  • amhjmsamhjms Member Posts: 14
    All,

I'm excited that there is more activity on this board. I bought my 2000 from my father just over a year ago. He rarely drove it, had 12,000 miles when I bought it, about 16,500 now (I have a short commute). It has a lot of options, MSRP was $60 k new (which he paid, since it was before the discounts) - not even an "S" as they were tough to get then. Paying pretty close to retail to the old man, I got it for 57% of that. I figure I've lost about $7 - $8 k since I bought it, based on Ebay. Speed Yellow, black interior, full leather, looks very nice. I absolutely love it and have not had any problems (nor did my father). Cheaper than a girlfriend (I'm married), shrink (I have a pretty stressful job) or divorce lawyer (I take a drive if we start to argue and return happy). I enjoy every ride to work and every ride home, don't underestimate the value of spoiling yourselves, really! Someday I hope to get a 4S (my true dream car) but am very content until then. Best to all! Adam
    The exterior is black and the interior is "Savannah Beige". Black was not high on my list but the contrast is nice. I can't understand why the sun visors don't swivel but it is no big deal. I agree with you re the seat belts and stereo but the Bose played my stereo-testing CD "Black Diamond" by The Rippingtons well. The Mark Levinson stereo is the Lexus is the one to beat but that is another story. The 4S cabriolet remains my dream car but it is out of my league as one day I may have to buy a "regular" car.
    Congrats. That's a great price too. It wasn't long ago when they wouldn't budge too far off sticker price. Don't worry about the color... Boxsters look great in every color.

I'm interested in hearing about your radar. I've been putting it off but I really have to get to it. Did you install it yourself? I know nothing about it but the service manager at my dealer recommended the K40 or Valentine. He said they cost about a grand. I read a little about them in the radar thread but I have to start educating myself in this area. Needed it for every car I ever owned even the ones that did 0-60 in 14 seconds, but somehow now with the Boxster I'm hearing a voice every day that says... stop your lollygagging... get that friggin' radar!
    You can get the Valentine for $399 in any magazine ad. It's got the best reputation generally among Porsche drivers though of course there are people who favor any number of others. JW
    The dealer had the radar/laser detector installed at a nearby shop and it cost $1350 including tax but it was financed at 4.9% with the car. It was expensive because I wanted a stealth device and it is. The warning lights are in the tach and the sensors are in the front and rear fenders.The on/off and city/highway switches are in a panel by the driver's knee. There are various sounds which tell you what the radar is. If I get a ticket due to radar, K40 states that it will pay for it. For more info, I suggest dogpile.com and write in radar detectors. You may not need to have one that is hidden. I wanted it for a convertible and because my friend has had a K40 for years and regularly travels the Long Island Expressway without problems.
    Hmm… there's a $1,000 discrepancy here. Boxsterlover, your setup sounds like what my service manager described. I'm wondering if there is an advantage over the cheaper dashboard variety, but I am totally ignorant at this point… will have to look into it further... wouldn't mind hearing anyone elaborate... opinions on K-40 vs Valentine? Will check out dogpile.com. Thanks.

Regarding PSM. Last night I took a curve aggressively and fishtailed a bit. The car seemed to correct itself rather effortlessly. You could really feel the balance of the mid-engine design, but I'm wondering… was this the PSM at work here? If so, I am never going to turn it off. Something happened that really felt good… AND SAFE!
    PSM is a beautiful system. It will let you get the car a little bit loose. If it senses that more is happening and it threatens to loose control, it steps in pretty seamlessly. And I certainly agree with you that on the street it should probably not be shut off unless you're trying to deal with being stuck in snow. Some (not all by any means) even leave it on for track/autoX events and seem to think it still works okay .... very unusual, as I'm not aware of any other system that will tolerate any amount of slip.

I'm not going to get into the radar detector debate -- it's not something that people will change their minds about -- sort of like which car polish to use. Suffice it to say that the stealth unit costs an extra $39 and there is a DIY on P-car.com which will help install the readout in the tach of a Boxster if you like that idea. JW
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    my friend's boxter just blew it's motor, only 14,000 miles (but it's a 1999, bought it used at 10k miles) , does the powertrain warranty cover this unfortunate case?
    Has any diagnosis been done to tell what caused it?

Sorry, I can't answer re: the warranty on a Boxster, but if it's due to a mfg. defect Porsche sometimes covers for people even after the warranty ends. JW
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    the car just died at a stop light, lol
    Depends on what type of warranty the car might be under. There are a number of options when you buy a Boxster. I believe the factory warranty is 4/50 so he's out on that, but there are limited warranties offered by dealer certified programs that go higher. If I recall correctly there is a 6 year but you might have had to buy that. So he'd have to check all the car's records. If he's out of warranty it's possibly Porsche might step up on such a low mileage engine anyway, but they'd probably want to tear it down and somebody is going to have to pay for that teardown. And if the news is BAD, say obvious oil starvation or overheating (basically owner negligence in most cases) then what do you do with the engine lying all over the floor?

So this is tricky and needs to be well researched, well-communicated and well planned through each step.
    Was out on Sunday driving around Westechester - Fairfield County and it was a blast. Unfortunately, the weather was very cold making top-down driving only for masochists but the handling and incredible smoothness of the Boxster can make going well past the speed limit too easy. If you ask me, they should equip all the Boxsters coming into the US with the best radar/laser detectors and PSM. My detectors were constantly working and the PSM came on once but that was enough.
    I was speaking with a new neighbor about his '00 Boxster S (he also has an '03 996 twin turbo) and his experiences with his car. I mentioned the options that I will order for my "regular" Boxster later this year which included the 18" Carrera wheels and the rigid tuned sport suspension. He warned against the combination because of the way it will drive on the road under regular (non track) circumstances. This guy appears to be an enthusiast as he tracks both cars with the Porsche Club at Road Atlanta as well as knowing his Porsche's (he has had many). I have not been able to drive a car equipped like this so my question, has anyone had any experience with this combination in any Boxster ?

Thx,

JH