Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew: Suggestions for Subaru

Comments

• hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Please put the B11S on show Please Please Please :D

-Dave
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You're asking for too little, Dave.

For the NY Show, please:

* let us crawl inside the B11S
    * let us crawl inside the Forester XT
    * let us crawl inside the Baja Turbo
    * show the next Legacy, even if it's the JDM model

Pretty please with sugar on it. Oh, and free passes for the Crew wouldn't hurt! :-)

-juice
    working on that inch first...
    then pounce for the whole nine yards. :D

-Dave
    If you count the free passes, I asked for 5 things.

OK, I'd settle for four of those. ;-)

-juice
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Nice job mounting the gauges. Trouble is I loose the mounting slot for my radar detector. But then I don't use it much these days. Between the Twin Cities & Duluth many vehicles are traveling at 80+ - 4-wheel drive pickups pulling either boats/snowmobiles/4-wheelers, Big SUVs, and some smaller vehicles (like a green OBW that doesn't tailgate)- tailgating in the left lane. Scary!

MNSteve
  • mdisaacsmdisaacs Member Posts: 28
    2002 Outback wagon with AWP is great until it's 85 degrees out and you accidently tap the seat heater on while placing your drink in the cup holder. Need to relocate the switches to a lower traffic location like the door (above the locks) or dash.

Also, I can't reach the cruise control 'on' button without removing my hand from the wheel. I like the earlier post for an 'all in one' CC stalk.

Have an 04 WRX wagon on order currently and was disappointed that AWP was not available. Why is the wagon so different from the sedan? It should really be just a rear hatch...

Love my Outback but want more zip. 04 WRX.

-michael
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Our MPV has this. The 'ON' button is on the end of the stalk. The stalk is in the same location as the Subaru stalk. The thing I don't like about the 'all-in-one' stalk is that it is easy to leave it in the 'ON' position. You could easily tap it and set a speed, all the while not aware of it.

-Brian
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good point. There should be a small light indicating that it is turned "on," in addition to the larger green "engaged" light.

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Earplugs for the reps!!

Because they're really going to be tired of people asking why there isn't an AWP on the wagon! :-)

-Dennis

P.S. And put the STi and the B11S (if you can get it) on the floor and not a turntable. A turnable is for records.
  • edge01edge01 Member Posts: 28
    I am in the market to upgrade my 02 WRX sedan to an 04 WRX wagon and was very disappointed to hear from my local dealer that the AWP will not be available on the wagon.

Logically to me this makes no sense as in my mind as an avid skier/snowboarder, the wagon makes more sense for hauling gear (as I learned with the sedan) and therefore would make more use of the wagon.

I'm going to have to rethink my options and see whether I really want another Subaru at this point.
    I agree - the wagon's roof rack means it's more appealing to the folks that practice winter sports. The opposite would make more sense to me!

Ryan: you can get aftermarket seat heaters, FWIW. I think for about $400 or so, IIRC. Look under Auto Upholstery in your yellow pages. Adler & Mandell in MD does it, for instance.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    With all the stink being raised about the AWP and wagon, I bet we'll see it in MY2005.

As for cruise control, I like the current separate master switch and the mini-paddle. The master switch makes it just seem like it's a more secure way to turn off cruise. Completely psychological, but it works for me. Also, I like how the mini paddle keeps the stalk from becoming overly complicated.

Ken
    The most secure way is to hit the brakes! :-)

-juice
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    I would like to see an intermediate version between the Legacy sedan and the wagon. For those of us with moderate storage needs who occasionally need more than the sedan can handle, but prefer the looks of a sedan. I think Mazda has executed this to perfection with the 6 hatchback. It is actually better looking than the sedan IMHO. But Subaru could make them look identical for all I care.
    Heck, make that and drop the sedan entirely. Everyone complains that the rear seat back doesn't fold.

Subaru just builds a better wagon, period. Look at the grocery-crunching gooseneck hinges on the sedan's trunk lid. Use a hatch and give us struts.

It wouldn't have been nearly as hard to talk my wife into a 5 door hatch, compared to the wagon I finally talked her into. I'm sure she'd prefer that for her next car.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    How about the Subaru hatchback, the B11S? You have the nice sporty look, as well as the functionality of a hatchback.

Mark
    The Impreza wagon in other markets is referred to as a hatchback or 5-door.

Bob
    Although, as much as I like them, they never manage to sell well here. It's OK, even expected, in sports cars, but not family cars.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    It was the Yuppy crowd that killed the hatchback, it somehow became uncool to own a hatchback, never mind that it was one of the most useful vehicles on the road.

I have since 1976 always had a hatchback or a wagon in my possession along with sedans, and now that I am a single car owner I will always have a wagon.

I get a good laugh every time I see some of the cool crowd trying to cram a large package into the trunk or back seat of whatever sporty sedan they are currently driving.

Cheers Pat.
    A buddy in college was helping me move, and had an MX-6 coupe. It was useless. We could not fit a single piece of furniture in it. Even a small 2-drawer dresser.

-juice
    Had 3 4-door hatchbacks in a row. An '81 Mazda GLC, '85 Nissan Stanza, and '91 Mazda 626 - all 5 spds. The '91 5-door was a great fast cruiser. Of course, the hatchbacks went away. But my '98 OBW Limited 5 spd is now taking care of the occasional "large" objects.

MNSteve - winter has returned, again
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I had 76 Accord hatchback,79 Civic wagon, 81 Corolla hatchback, 82 Civic wagon,83 Accord hatchback, 85 Corolla hatchback, 93 Accord wagon, 01 LegacyGT wagon.

Also had 88 Accord LXI, 89 Accord SEI, 91 Accord EX. I know this is the wrong forum but what the hell, rules are for breaking sometimes.

Cheers Pat.
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    I think this thread is a great idea, I have enjoyed many of the suggestions. Don't know exactly how many of these suggestions have been stated before (some definitely have) but here goes. FWIW, until two days ago, we owned 3 Subies, now we have two, just sold the GL. Obviously we like Subarus. In our stables:
    1989 GL Sedan (just sold)
    1997 OB Wagon
    2003 TS Wagon

1) I love hatchbacks and wagons. So do many, many Subaru owners, and IMO it's the wagons that have made Subaru what it is today. SOA, don't forget wagon owners and please don't skimp on wagon features.

2) Our GL had actual gauges for oil pressure and voltage, not idiot lights. Much more useful, but neither the 97 or 03 have gauges. For the '03, should I shell out $500 for an optional "gauge pack" that displaces the clock? Grrrr.

3) I have taken the OB off the highway and on some pretty rough backcountry roads, forest service roads, primitive camping areas, etc. and it is pretty capable, but suffers from a very low approach angle, bumping its nose into things. How about a little more ground clearance and better approach angles? I haven't driven the '00 and newer body style, but just by eyeball it appears like it's not any better than the pre '00's, maybe even worse.

4) I prefer the height adjustment in my '97 OB(extendable lever and near vertical travel up/down) to the "ratchet" adjustment on the '03 TS, which seems to move the seat forward as much as up. If you have a 36" inseam as I do, you don't want the seat moving *forward* as you move it up for more support under the legs. I'm probably an exception on that one, but maybe others would agree.

Wow, that was verbose. Rather than multiple posts, I guess I got it all in one shot. Hope someone hears this. Thanks, SOA.

utahsteve
    Point #3 is interesting because the front bumper on the Outback is oversized and actually creates a worse angle of approach than the plain Legacys.

Forester's overhangs are also a bit too protrusive.

It's not a high priority, but it shouldn't be an afterthought either.

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Body side moldings for the WRX wagon (color-keyed of course). Florida drivers don't care where or how they park.
    is always going to be an issue with an engine that hangs out in front of the front axle. There's no way around it. The Forester is a bit better than the Outback however in this respect.

Well, there is a "partial" solution: Larger diameter tires and more ground clearance. Subaru could also angle back the bottom of the bumper, and severely pull back the outside edges of the bumper to the front wheel well opening (ala Honda S2000).

Bob
    But aftermarket Subie bumpers are available in Australia that improve the angle substantially, all without modifying the powertrain. So it has already been done!

You've been wanting to see a design like the S2000's in a bigger vehicle for a while now.

-juice
    to both statements. :)

As to the Aussie bumpers, while they are certainly much better than the stock bumper, I'm not sure they would pass federal "car" bumper standards.

Bob
    So let it be up to Subaru engineers to figure out a compromise.

In particular the Outback's bumper sort of kills the approach angle, it's worse than the Legacy L I believe.

-juice
    As someone who has scraped the bottom of his OBW front bumper while traveling the backroads/Pine Barrens, I would agree with giving a better angle of approach. That and offer Skid Plates as an option. I know they used to, but for some reason no longer.

Mark
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    1) Fog lights that work with the parking lights. I doubt that it's a law that they have to work with the low beams as Pontiac and Dodge, to name a few, work with the parking lights. It's brutal driving in heavy snow with the glare of the low beams.

2) Offer an "Adventure Package" on the Outback wagon. The package should replace the plastic engine shield with metal, include rear diff protector, dual range transmission, 1/2" to 1" more ground clearance, slightly larger/more aggressive tires, better approach/departure angles, include VTD on A/T models.

3) Offer an optional light pressure turbo H4 on the base Outback & Outback LTD. The higher lines can continue with the H6.

4) Include VTD on all A/T Outbacks or at minimum offer as an option.

5) Replace the dual moonroofs on the wagon with a single tilt/slide moonroof.

6) Add heated washer noozles to the AWP (use same switch as heated windshield).

7) Offer the AWP and moonroof in the WRX wagon!!

8) Need a little more legroom and a better tilt/telescoping steering wheel in the Legacy/Outback.

DaveM
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Put the rear defroster, outside mirrors and windshield deicer all on the same switch. Our '03 Outback has three separate switches for these. On my Forester, there are 2 switches for the three functions. Make one swich to defrost everything at the same time.

Len
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's state law in CA that the fogs go on with the headlights, so to have a "50-states legal" car you have to have them come on with only the low beams.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    "The package should replace the plastic engine shield with metal,..."

My wife's '99 has a metal engine shield and it works very well! ;-)

-Dennis
    raised-white-letter tires on Bajas, Outbacks and Foresters, please.

Bob
    Yes, offer the skid plate, at last on Forester, Outback, Outback Sport, and Baja. I think one is available so why not, even if it's just sold as an accessory?

I like Dave's Adventure Package idea.

-juice
    OK, to solve the fog lights issue in addition to many other issues, give California to Mexico, then we'd only need a "49-states legal" car.

The oil pan protector came standard on my '89 GL-10 Turbo FT-4WD wagon and I added it to my '96 Outback. I'd like to see Subaru offer one for the current generation Outback. I'm pretty sure Primitive Racing offers one but it's pretty pricey, although it's still cheaper than a new oil pan & exhaust headers.

DaveM
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    Dang, it's hard to keep up on these boards!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who would like to see a more off-road capable Outback. I've not had any issues with the lack of low gear, but the heaviest thing I've pulled out of a ditch was a small sedan. It probably wouldn't hurt, though. I like the "Adventure Package" idea, and a *real* skid plate like Primitive's would be nice as well. Certainly the low and forward mounting of the engine is somewhat limiting to approach angle, but when you get under the car you can see much of what's in the way is plastic.

I've always wondered why the fogs don't come on w/o headlights. Is that really true about CA? If so... California ruins it for the rest of us yet again ;) It is annoying in heavy snow, though, I agree.

utahsteve
    on the more off-roadable Forester! Or, at least offer a trim line specifically geared (dual-range geared!) to that audience.

Bob
    On my '98 OBW the fogs also go off when the high beams are selected. A friend traced down the wires on his '98 OBW and found which wire to clip so the fogs work with the high beams. Not sure if this "fix" means the fogs work with just the "parking" lights. But I haven't tried his fix yet. Maybe when it gets warmer.

MNSteve
    An "Adventure Package" option on the Forester, too.

What does everyone think of the name "Adventure Package"? I think it fits perfectly with Subaru's active lifestyle image.

DaveM
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That fix should work. I know it does on the WRX and RS.

-mike
    You have my vote for the "Adventure Package". After all they advertise the OB as being off road capable, yet do not offer any type of protection other than the rear differential protector.

Mark
    has my vote too. :)

I was going to write up a suggestion, but after catching up on what had been posted....

I forgot. :(

-Dave
    They already have "Premium Package," so why not also offer an "Adventure Package," for that audience. I would only ask that it be available on ALL Foresters, not just top-of-the-line models.

Bob
    I'd even lean towards offering it with the Forester X to get unpainted bumpers along with it. The idea being it would have some body armor.

In the Pine Barrens we were scraping up against trees all the time. At the beach driving fast is like running a sand blaster on the lower sides.

-juice
    they could offer that as a option. :)
    Put in on when you'll be 'offroading'.
    Remove it and, wha-lah, nice untouch painted bumpers.

-Dave
    The cladding already is body armor. I happen to like it, though on the Baja it's a bit overdone.

-juice
    As we know, the Impreza, Forester and Legacy/Outback/Baja all share the same platform to some degree. I recently read somewhere(?) that, in the future, there will be at least two distinct platforms, and maybe more. The concept B11S seems to confirm that, in that it is considerably larger than the Legacy in all major dimensions.

-----------------------------
    2003 2003
    B11S Legacy
    -----------------------------
    188.4 184.4 Length
    76.2 68.7 Width
    53.9 55.7 Height
    110.2 104.3 Wheelbase
    64.0 57.5 Front track
    63.4 57.3 Rear track

Assuming that additional platforms to indeed be the case for future Subies, here's what I propose:

Note: Wheelbase and width change in units of 4" per application. Length varies as per application. I would assume the additional wheelbase length would benefit rear passengers most.

Large Platform

~ 188"–200" length depending on application
    ~ 76" width
    ~ 110" wheelbase

Applications:
    B11S-like GT coupe, large sedan, 7-passenger crossover, (large) Baja (also possible future Saab 9-5). This platform would be sized to match mid-sized European family cars: Volvo S60, BMW 5-Series, and MB E-Class.

Medium Platform

~ 186"–194" length depending on application
    ~ 72" width
    ~ 106" wheelbase

Applications:
    Legacy & Outback, (small) Baja Sport (also possible future Saab 9-3). This puts it much closer to the current Accord and Camry in size.

Small Platform

~ 178"–183" length depending on application
    ~ 69" width
    ~ 102" wheelbase

Applications:
    Impreza & Forester (also possible future Saab 9-1). Length and wheelbase up about 4" from current model. Width up about .5"–1" from current models.

Bob
    That's fine if they can keep weight under control. The current Forester is a good example, but the Impreza and Legacy are already on the heavy side for their size.

So, use more aluminum, and find some efficiencies elsewhere.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.