Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew: Suggestions for Subaru

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Just not in the Justy. Test drove the Nissan Murano and the CVT was very impressive.

-Eric
  • mmmsmmms Member Posts: 25
    I really like my Outback, but my fifteen year old son has simply outgrown it. Is it in the stars for Subaru to have a car with more interior room especially in the back seat. Also how about illuminating the controls on the steering column and the drivers door.
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    The next generation Legacy is supposed to be both longer and wider by an appreciable amount.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Plus they want to build an even bigger sedan, maybe A8 sized, off the SUW platform. Eventually.

-juice
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    CVT on lower torque models, 5-speed auto on higher torque ones.

Base 2.5L with 180HP in everything but the Impreza

2.2L with 165HP in the Impreza.

Offer a hybrid option with the 2.2L in all models.

Off-road package with dual-range, higher ground clearance, skid plates for Outback, Outback Sport and Forester.

Sunroof should be an option for WRX wagon, manual tranny Forester XT.

2.5L turbo in Legacy GT

2.5L turbo in WRX

7-seater SUV should follow Forester lead with great-handling, good power and meeting all car crash requirements.

2-door WRX of some sort. Hatch? Convertible? Nothing in the class has AWD. Audi TT would be a bit of a stretch.
    Nice list! Now help them figure out how to pay for it all. ;-)

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Since a lot of other manufacturers are extending their warranty, how about Subaru as well. It is something that should definitely help sales out.

Mark

BTW- Dave re#289 -you are right the light is on. I was thinking how as soon as the key is turned, off they go. It would be nice for them to linger a little longer.
  • sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    Recommendations for new OB:

Navigation system an option for Base and Limited, Standard on all H6 models. (After all, it is an adventurer's car)

Increased legroom up front, move pedals closer to the front of the car.

5AT with sportshift on H6 models

Split bench in the rear so one of the seatbacks can be folded totally flat while still carrying a passenger.

Increased legroom in the back. With the bench up and seatback down, front seats have to be moved forward, decreasing legroom in the front.

One large sunroof that extends over the back seat. Power sunshade so driver doesn't have to reach all the way to the back when the glass is closed.

Retained accessory power for closing sunroof, and windows. Add auto up and down for all door windows.

VTD should be standard on all Outbacks, VDC standard on the VDC Model, option on the LL Bean.

Increase towing capability.

Offer a turbo as an option on both the H4 and H6

Dual mufflers would look cool on the H6 models.

A keyless entry system whereby the owner would walk within 5 feet of the car and the driver's door would unlock and pop open. Keyless entry is only good if you have a hand free to operate the key fob. Give the rear gate the same feature, helps out when loading groceries, etc.

Optional off-road package that would include: metal skidplates on all exposed drivetrain components and engine, height adjustable suspension for up to 10 inches of clearance, dual range transfer case, the ability to lock the torque converter at a much lower rpm manually.

The OB needs a far shorter front overhang. This really counters the 7.9 inches of clearance.

Add a leather delete option, or make perforated leather standard.

Cooled seats should be made an option

Side mirror mounted turn signals

A 120V power outlet, greater than 120w

Optional DVD video entertainment system with screens mounted in the back of the front headreasts, and a video display in the navigation system screen. Make the DVD player standard with the navigation package.

The McIntosh audio system should be an option on the H6 Models.

Remove the boddy cladding from the H4 and H6 Models, make it standard on the Off Road edition. Make the front end more aggressive looking than the Legacy. Add a body cladding delete option on the Off Road edition. Make dent resistant, colour infused polymer body panels standard on the Off Road edition. This way, even deep scratches won't show too badly.

Make headlight wipers and washers standard on all Outbacks. (Snow vehicle after all)

Increase the exterior dimensions: 3-5 inches wider, 7-8 longer, and more headroom.

Offer a turbo diesel. Only of course if that can be done in an H6 design.

Keep the frameless windows - they offer a touch of class

Some interior plastics need to be of heavier duty. The plastic neer the seat belt buckle rest position just rear of the front door gets scratched way to easily. Also the plastic in the cargo compartment scratches to easily.

The OB is a *great* car, but needs to take more abuse without the worry associated with marking up a new car.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    sebberry:

It looks like you don't want an Outback, i.e. Legacy wagon. You should probably just buy an Excursion or a Hummer. We should be encouraging Subaru to not sell out to the bigger, heavier, longer, wider, higher fuel consumption crowd. There are too many SUVs out there now, especially considering that statistics indicate that only about 5% of them are ever driven off of paved roads. And then, only about 5% of the time.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Get real,one of the things that make Subaru appealing is the price, if they were to adapt your list of suggestions, not only would you have another run of the mill SUV, but the cost would go through the roof.

Cheers Pat.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    What you want is available at your Audi dealer; it's called an All Road.

Subaru, let the other companies built the luxury monsters. As the old Subaru tag line goes, keep the OB "Inexpensive and built to stay that way."

I'd like to see the optional adventure package that I mentioned way back in this thread and an H4 w/ LPT & 5EAT.

DaveM
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I just want a wider subie, it's way too narrow for us overweight americans....

-mike
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    If we'd lose weight, our cars will have a better power to weight ratio!

Jim
    But I don't see that happening anytime soon, so until then a wider car will suit me fine :)

-mike
  • pavery99pavery99 Member Posts: 10
    - Adjustable variable speed wipers
    - Gas filler on the left side
    - Real window frames on the doors
    - Less torque steer
    - More rugged head/gasket design
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    - Adjustable variable speed wipers - Are you talking rear because my Forester already has that in the front.

- Gas filler on the left side - No way! There are fewer cars with it on the right which means it's easier for me to find an empty pump (at one-way gas stations)

- Real window frames on the doors - Here's one thing that I agree with sebberry: "Keep the frameless windows - they offer a touch of class"

- Less torque steer - Huh, torque steer on an AWD vehicle? Am I missing something?

- More rugged head/gasket design - Okay, I'll agree with this one. Although it's possible that Subaru could have already addressed this (It's not like they send out a press release stating that they now have a new and improved head gasket).

-Frank P.
    Once again the seem to spec out the SVX...

Variable intermittent front and rear wipers. (and it's a coupe with a rear wiper)
    Window Frames.
    No head gasket problems.

-mike
    Another vote to keep the gas fillers where they are - shorter lines are the norm.

I'm used to the no-frame windows and like them. The BMW M3 and the Porsche 911 use them, so it's fine as-is. The doors are lighter and easier to open, and they allow thin pillars for better visibility. Besides, they are a Subaru quirk.

-juice
    Anybody ask for one of those overhead consoles yet that includes a compass and trip computer? (One of the few things I enjoy when driving a rental is playing with the instant gas mileage and miles to go before empty). Seems like they could offer it as an option for not much money and it would be an easy feature to add.

-Frank P.
    Had that in my '89 GL-10 Full Time 4WD Turbo Touring Wagon. The buttons were at the front of the console were the cubby hole is in today's models. IIRC, it used the clock for display. Also had one in my '86 VW GLI. The button was on the end of the wiper stalk and the display used the clock (between the speedo and tach).

I'm sure Mike has one in his SVX. Afterall, it has everything else people are requesting. :-)

DaveM
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I'm probably showing my "ignorance" here, but isn't the Subaru basically designed as a "drive in the left lane" car, so that the driver would be on the right? And if this is the case, is that also why the filler is on the right?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My guess is because the Japanese Subies are RHD, and it's easier for the (Japanese) driver to fill the car from the same side that he drives from.

In order to keeps costs in check, Subaru most likely decided not to re-engineer a left-side gas filler for LHD markets.

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Interesting point about gas stations in Japan: most of them are full-service. It wasn't until the late 90's that self-service stations started showing up, albeit in small numbers. In fact, I knew many friends in Japan who had NEVER pumped their own gas until then.

My point -- I don't think it's a big deal to the Japanese driver which side the gas lid is on. The service station takes care of it.

Ken
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I like it where it is. It's only an extra ~6ft walk and an opportunity to give the car a visual on your way to the pump... come around the other side when you're done. ;-)

-Dave
    I miss it in the SVX however...

-mike
    I like it far from my door to prevent the fumes from getting inside.

-juice
    I thought it was mentioned somewhere, sometime in a galaxy far, far away that having it on the right side is safer since you're more likely to be side swiped on the left side (by another vehicle coming from the opposite direction) than say side swiping a bridge abuttment on the right side.

But what do I know?

DaveM
  • jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    The more I read these boards, I think the more obsessive I become. I never thought about which is the better side for the gas filler to be on. Thanks -- now I'll have something else to keep me up tonight thinking about, LOL.

Jon
    No. I'm not going to do this to myself. I say gas filler on the right and that's it.

But then again, if it's on the left, it's a shorter walk to the pump.... but that means less exercise, gain weight.....uggghhhhh.
    The one about when you have a perfect car, what will you talk/think about...

Bob
    Offer front driver/passenger seats in SMALL / REGULAR / WIDE / EXTRA WIDE as an option.

-Dave
    center console in EXTRA WIDE / WIDE / REGULAR / SMALL to fit the seats.

Bob
    Hmmm.... didn't occur to me.
    Well, suggestion(s) from left field is never right :D

-Dave
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The bigger question is what size seat do you put on HER side of the car!!!

Milk bone anyone?

Jim
    Yes, having a choice of seat sizes could get very tricky for us married guys. Gee honey, I think a small will suit me just fine, should we get you a medium or a large???
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    LOL, Jim.

Actually, they could just use the same cryptic sizing scheme they do with women's clothes. "Oh, I take a size 2 seat".

I forget which comedian it was that pointed out how it's funny that men will wear jeans with the width and inseam still printed on the label.

Ken
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I'm puzzled about the legroom comments on the Outback ... I have more legroom in my Outback than in many of the small to mid-size SUV's on the market... I'm only 5'8" but I wear a 33" inseam and I have MORE than enough room in the Outback ..
    I'm only 5'8" but I wear a 33" inseam and I have MORE than enough room in the Outback

We're going to have to start calling you "Legs! " ;) I'm 5'9" and only have a 29" inseam.

"Torso Bob"
  • beecavebeecave Member Posts: 13
    There you go, now you've all gone and got me measuring my inseam!

Don't get me wrong I still like the Outback's interior , better than the Forester really so far as all around style and comfort. Definitely better than many other compact suv's out there. I just think it's a little cramped for our use. More noticeable when there's someone other than me in the car. There seems to be a threshold for the size that it accomodates.

There's something about the legwell in the Outback where it's not that easy to shift positions, cross your legs, etc, (on the passengers side I mean :) I fit into it ok at 5'10 but my husband at 6'1" is somewhat squeezed. The Outback was definitely nicer for back seat passengers.

Maybe I should say there's more kneeroom in the Forester. We chose it over another Outback primarily for the height for cargo, and his head but I noticed that there's a sensation of more volume in the cabin. I think it's because the vertical lines of the Outback, the windshield especially, and the back window are more aerodynamically raked than those on the Forester.

There's pluses and minuses about either model. I wish there was a little more of the ergonomic quality I felt in the Outback but then I guess that's where you sacrifice space. I like the wiggle room in my Forester but I miss the seats in the Limited. The Outback fits like a stocking, the Forester more like a sock.
    Next time I'm wearing stockings, I'll keep that in mind. ;)

Bob
  • sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    I'm 6"2.5 with a 34" inseam. I find the seat in the OB to be more than comfortable, but could use a slightly longer seat cushion.

I was about to have the seat rails modified for more legroom, but after a 2500 Km trip, it is actually pretty good.

If I could make one suggestion about the setup, it would be to have the pedals about 2 inches closer to the front of the car, and maybe a telescopic steering wheel.

Other than that, I found the seating position to be more comfortable than the Accord, it makes me feel like I have more control of the car.

As for seat options, I would like to see things such as perforated seats and option as well as alternitave trim stiyles. I think the leather seats in the 2001 OB with their wrinkly texture are more classy than the flat 2003 seats. Oh well, now I am being picky.
    I'm 6' and my inseam is just 30", though I do wear pants sort of low. But I think Brenda stole about 2-3" of height from my legs! ;-)

I can get comfy in either Subie (Forester and Legacy), in fact I don't even need the seat all the way back.

-juice
    You do realize that no cars are "ordered" from the factory right?

Even if you "order" one, all they are doing is pulling one out of the stock at the factory, not actually building one for "you". That's kinda funny if you think they actually build "your" car if you factory order it :) ROFLMAO!

-mike
    do you really believe that?

With some cars, Jeeps for example, the potential product combinations is beyond belief because of the amount of options and colors available. The factories build what sells to the masses. If you want a Jeep with a combination of oddball options, you will have to special order it.

So, yes I believe that, and you can laugh yourself silly if want. :)

Bob
    I'm glad you brought up the Jeep. Perfect example.

I had a few friends who wanted 5 speed cherokees back in before the liberty came out. You know what happened? They couldn't get them because the factory didn't have any more 5 speed gearboxs and weren't building any more 5 speeds. So they couldn't order them. This wasn't at the end of the build year either. The factory simply said sorry, there are no more, even if you order it, it just won't get filled.

So I do believe that they don't build them specificly to you per-say, they build the most common ones based on research and previous years and then tweak the #s as they need to during the build year.

If they were built for each person who "ordered" one then there would be no need for "packages" you could buy each and every option stand alone, which I don't know of any manufacturer who lets you buy every option as a stand alone.

-mike
  • beecavebeecave Member Posts: 13
    per my own reference to "factory ordering"-

I was just going with the custom seat thread writing " order it " in the tone of "build your dream car" on the pricing sites. I don't think the dealer calls up Fuji heavy industries as a matter of course and says "make us another another one in red with an armrest .."

I do remember my mother ordering a Ford Galaxy convertible in lemon yellow with white leather seats, It cetainly took long enough to get that they would have had time to build it to order, I don't know. That was then, this is...

Instead of "built to order" or some such maybe it would be more accurate to say "slapped together "? ;)
    are for the masses, and it makes production very easy. If, however, you want some strange unusual combination, with some brands it is possible. Jeep, and others, offer an incredible list of options (and packages too). I'm sure there are some Jeeps out there in which there is no duplicate, or very few duplicates of.

I will agree that about 95% of the vehicles sold are mass-ordered, not custom-ordered.

Bob
    mike- Actually, I was given the opportunity to "custom order" a 5-Sp Jeep Cherokee with the exact options I wanted. Normally the factory didn't produce any 5-Sp Cherokees due to limited demand (so why list it as an option? was my gripe) but there was a very brief period at the end of the model year where they built a limited number of 5-Sp and if you had an order placed, they would fill it.

Of course as Bob said, the vast majority of vehicles are mass-produced (more like 99% though) but there are exceptions.

-Frank P.
This discussion has been closed.