Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Mitsubishi Galant

2»

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467

3351/3373 (Galant DE and ES without sunroof/w sunroof)

3560/3583 (Galant LSV6 without sunroof/ w sunroof)

3649 (Galant GTS, has sunroof STANDARD)

The Galant is HEAVY!

I really like though, even if it doesn't have a stick shift.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Mitsubishi Crown Victoria!
    (ok an exaggeration, but c'mon!!!)

~alpha
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    They hit the 99 Galant perfectly, The interior fit and finish was a little off at that time from a 99 Accord but still the 99 Galant was more than an appealing contender in the mid-size car market at that time. This one they have pulled a 1998 Mazda 626: make it a Camry/accord contender but nothing to stand it apart from the Honda and Toyota crowd.
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    I only partially agree on your '99 Galant - the chrome grill in front is perfect as compared to '02 & '03 models BUT, you better look at Car Reviews/Road Test results for this '99 model - it's below average - the '02 & '03 models got better results mainly because they did some adjustments on their specs & engines I believe!! But here comes the '04 model - both exterior & interiors beat their rivals, plus the engine V6 3.8 L 240 hp will make the difference w/ their competitors in this category - midsize sedans!!!! If you look at the pros & cons, the only disadvantages are: small trunk space from 14 to 13.something - does'nt matter / no 5-speed auto or manual transmission, who cares!!! / no folding down rear seats - who cares too!!! You're not supposed to put your big stuffs inside your trunk - common sense baby!! / and extra costs for additional features - it's your decision!! What really matter is: engine is perfect, both exterior & interior designs are well crafted & 3-4 trims to choose - sorry guys but this '04 will look oustanding when compared to Camry's & Altimas & Maximas on the road - wanna bet???? Give Mitsu Galant sometime,it will regain OR make a growth in their market share!!! I just can't wait to see & test drive a new '04 Galant GTS/LS!!!
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    Not quite.........didn't you know the heavier your car in the road, the more stable it is UNLESS your engine is a 4cyl?? The v6 3.8L 230 hp. engine is perfect for this 04'Galant model, i don' see any problem on this - what do you think??? I also heard that they might introduce a 5-speed auto or manual transmission by middle of next year.
    I think that the car is somewhat of a disappointment. To add to your list, you forgot about side curtian airbags, and lower fuel economy figures than competing vehicles, which is where the heavy weight and no 5sp auto comes in as a negative. 3650lbs. is VERY heavy for a midsize, front drive entry. The 3.8L produces 230hp and 250lb. ft, which is decent, but again it has to pull around those 3600+ lbs, which I'm guessing is going to make the car feel less than agile (like the class leaders in handling- 6, Accord)

"didn't you know the heavier your car in the road, the more stable it is UNLESS your engine is a 4cyl??"

Please explain how number of cylinders correlates to stability/traction. I was under the impression it had to do with suspension, tires, rigidity, weight distribution. But I may be wrong.

Anyway, the Galant looks to me an undistinguished entry in this market. Incentives, incentives, incentives....

~alpha
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Went by Joe Gibson Mitsubishi today and they had a few new Galants in stock.

The car looks good, and the ES was priced for $18,997 before destination.
  • wantapassatnowwantapassatnow Member Posts: 100
    I have a 2000 Galant DE that I love, but my lease is up at the beginning of January so I am considering the '04 Galant. I haven't seen one in person yet, and I'm totally torn as to whether or not I like what I see in the photos. I mean, my 2000 is *great*-looking; looks like an older-style BMW. And though I prefer the black door handles etc. to the color-keyed ones, I will probably get an ES so that I can get side airbags.

As for the packages, I tried building the car on the Mitsubishi site. I tried to select the ES with the leather package (includes side airbags) and ABS, but it seems that if you select the leather package you also have to select the sunroof package and diamond package ... but I'm totally not interested in a sunroof or an upgraded stereo! So is this supposed to mean that if you want leather you have to get all the other extras? I hope not.

Also, I am considering the 2004 Volvo S40. Apparently the 2005 is a major redesign, so there's like $7k off the MSRP of the '04. Plus, the Volvo gets a way better insurance quote than the Mitsubishi. Can anyone give me pros or cons to getting the Mitsu vs. the Volvo? Thanks!

P.S. Disregard my screenname; it was created when I actually wanted a Passat. Then I test drove it. Yuck. :)
  • t6553gwt6553gw Member Posts: 18
    After 10 miles of test drive of 4 cylinder of 2004 Galant, I know that is going to be my next car. Rock solid and stable ride feels like a highend German.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The Galant DE comes surprisingly well equipped. Same equipment as the Honda Accord LX, which costs more. Wonder why anybody even wants to jump to the LS with the DE and ES so well equipped.
    one non-word: V6

~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I don't need V6 power.....
    so dont get an LS. you said you wondered why people would upgrade, and I gave you a reason...

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This vehicle is being removed from our Future Vehicles list tomorrow, so we'll close this discussion then and join other enthusiasts in the active Mitsubishi Galant discussion. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.