Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• wstumpffwstumpff Member Posts: 2
    The 27.2 mpg was actual miles and actual gals filled at same pump to full in the neck.(miles driven/gals pumped) Toyota calls for 87 octane and that is what I've been using.
  • spartanmannspartanmann Member Posts: 197
    Never install a remote car starter on a new car until after you check with the manufacturer to determine if there are warranty implications.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    I really want a dvd player installed after the purchase I was wondering if anyone knew if there were inplactions with the warrenties if I install it after purchase . I don't want the factory installed one as I am trying to get the controls closer to the front as they are on the honda mini van. I have a truck witht he controls in the rear and when a movie is done I have to pull over to change it for my 2 year old.too much of a hastle any ideas ? thanks
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Gee, I'm not too sure about "inplactions with the warrenties" nor what "hastle" that might be. But I do know that using the spell-checker is a good idea since you obviously type like I do! ;-)

Seriously, go search the last couple months or so for posts by Terumi and sysadmin1 in "Honda Pilot Owners: Accessories & Modifications" ( terumi1 "Honda Pilot Owners: Accessories & Modifications" Dec 4, 2003 3:16pm ) to find what they are doing with a pretty slick after market dvd system installation. I would think that something similar would work on the Sienna.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Anybody had this problem? It does it maybe twice a day when I hit a bump in the road or change gears to reverse or sometimes just bump the console. Kinda weird.
  • mk74mk74 Member Posts: 7
    I've noticed a bit of sluggishness in the 2004 Sienna Ltd, but it could be attributed to the fact that I've never driven a mini van long enough to compare. I don't know if hesitation is a bug with Sienna/software or it is indeed a feature.

One thing that I've noticed is 2004 Sienna comes with 5-spd Automatic ECT-i (also on Lexus). While I did not read about it in the manual yet (who needs manuals ;-)) but on the Lexus this transmission is actually adaptive (http://www.lexus.co.za/t/t01_03_02.html), thus it adapts to your driving style. I know that it takes a while for the vehicle to actually learn the habits.

The other car I have is a 2003 VW Passat with the similar technology. I think it does a pretty good job so far. By default (new), software was made to conserve gas (shifts at a lower speed), rather then more aggresive style.

Also, 2 drivers switch the vehicle often, it takes even longer for it to learn.

If this feature works, then hesitation may disappear after either or both of the following occurs:

1) A driver is used to the car
    2) A car is used to the driver

Could anyone comment/verify this? Thanks.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    So to send it back to the 1st grade you disconnect the battery for a while then go out and drive it like you stole it. If it still hesitates then you have confirmed that you have some controller logic problems that need to be fixed. It took Lexus=Toyota 5 months to acknowledge the problem owners were having and come out with a software update for the 02 Lexus IS300s.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I installed a remote starter on my new '02 Windstar at my dealer, and is included in the warranty. Always ask your dealer if they can do it for you rather than a 3rd party.

The Sienna's clock is not easy to read, and I wonder why nobody is complaining about that. Toyota always used to have the clock at top of the dashboard, with a separate LCD, not to be mixed up with other stuff, like climate or audio controls, as many other cars do. Unfortunately, the clock in the Sienna is at a very low position, mixed with the climate control LCD. Instead, the audio system is at the top, way tooo high. The vents takes up too much space, and make everything cramped.

I would prefer a design similar to the Camry, or Highlander, with the vent ducts at the 2 sides of the dash, and everything else big and clear.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaCamry/Images/LE-Stack.jp- g
  • lalalalalalalalalala Member Posts: 30
    I definitely feel the difference of my Sienna after almost 3,000 miles. Low speed acceleration from 0-15 miles does not drag any more. The feeling of the van "slipping" has not been observed in the recent weeks. At the national highway safety website where they have complaints on acceleration, the vans had low mileage when accident/near accident happened. I'm glad that my van has finally "learned". Now I'll have to worry about the van relearning again when the time comes to replace battery???
    I doubt that disconnecting the battery will erase the learned information.

Perhaps this information is stored somewhere in ECU jurisdiction. Since ECU controls pretty much the entire injection/diagnostic system and a lot more, it should be protected from power failures or have it's own power source.

I speculate that the only time the learned info is erased, is when ECU is flushed by the mechanic for the purpose of the software update. Jeep Grand Cherokee owners had to go through some of the similar flushes on many occasions.

I am not a Toyota engineer, so I cannot confirm it. But this does seem like right thing to do.
  • markhootmarkhoot Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone have any information on when the build date starts on the 05 Sienna? I'm in the market, but don't want to buy an 04 now and have the 05 come out a few months later, making it a model year old already. I know it will be the same vehicle, because it was just redesigned.

Thanks in advance.
  • jzwujzwu Member Posts: 10
    I have been looking for an LE with package 7 (disc brakes, stability control, etc.) in So. CA, but the dealer I talked to does not have any LEs with #7, only with #4.

Are the disc brakes and stability and traction control indispensible for such a large van? Anyone's got good experience with the standard brakes (disc front and drum rear) without traction control?
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    take a 9v bat to a cig lighter plug and put it in disconnect then you still have enough power to keep memory up and running that's what theMB dealer does.

i wonder what will change for next fall as far as option packages, groupings and pricing that would make 18 months with no changes, so something is due........
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    The 05 model year vehicles will begin being built in late July and at dealers in late August to the first of September.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Others have reported that disconnecting the battery is exactly the method used to cause the computer to forget and then relearn to adjust to your driving habits as stated in the owners manual. On the Honda Odyssey disconnecting the battery causes much of the computer memory to be lost.

However, not being a Sienna owner, I have no manual to read for confirmation. You might want to check yours, though. It is also possible that this is not a "normal" owner responsibility and it might only mention this in the maintenance manuals used by the techs (no mechanics anymore, eh?).
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Most aftermarket DVD players are installed under the 2nd row removable seats, not on the front dash. Since the Factory Odyssey dvd player is on the front dash, the dealer can also install one on the front dash, but it costs $2000 plus tax. As you can see, the dealer's installed dvd player is more expensive than the factory installed dvd player, which costs $1,500.
    But no, aftermarket dvd players will not void the warranty on your Odyssey, but I don't know about the Sienna.
  • lowsmokelowsmoke Member Posts: 6
    Car and Driver has selected the '04 Sienna as one of its five best trucks, winning the minivan category. I concur, having had an LE with option pack 7 for over a half year now. Never thought I would say that a vehicle this big is a pleasure to drive, but it is.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    aren't particularly important on a FWD car, since the front brakes do about 90% of the work. Even so, disks are better performing than drums, especially in the wet.

The real reason they add rear disks is that they work better with the stability control feature (really a glorified ABS system), since they react quicker than drums.

If nothing else, disks look better with alloy wheels, since you see the brake components!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Drum brakes are a LOT less subject to loss of braking in wet weather than disks.

VSC/Trac is a highly desireable option especially for FWD vehicles.

Having the tires break loose from the roadbed and spin freely isn't very dangerous in a RWD car since you still have front traction for steering/recovery if needed.

In a FWD vehicle once the drive wheels break traction with the roadbed all control is lost until you lift the throttle lightly and the tires regain traction. Also, if you happen to be traveling in a straight line and lose traction with FWD you may not realize what has happened before you lose control completely.

VSC/Trac will instantly prevent driven wheel slippage, front or rear WD, and for FWD will similtaneously/instantly dethrottle the engine.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Having driven many rear wheel drive and front wheel drive vehicles in the upper midwest(snowy winters) for nearly 40 years now, the reality is that it is much, much, much easier to lose control of a rear wheel drive car in winter conditions than it is a front wheel drive vehicle. Get that rear end going sideways on a rear wheel drive vehicle and it is much more difficult to get it back under control.

You can argue all you want about the theoretical inferior dynamics of driving with the same wheels that are steering, but in the real world with real world drivers, there is absolutely no doubt that front wheel drive vehicles are much more forgiving and provide the average driver much more stability and forgiveness.

I would argue that VSC and Traction control are much more necessary for rear wheel drive vehicles than for front wheel drive vehicles. In fact, I would never consider going back to a rear wheel drive only vehicle if it did not have some of these advanced features, as it would be too unstable without them.
  • jzwujzwu Member Posts: 10
    Thank you all your comments! Since I put safety ahead of anything else I think I will get the rear disc brakes with VSC and traction control.

I have lost complete control on snow before in a FWD car and survived simply because the opposite traffic was stopped at a red light at the moment of the accident. Still shudder a lot whenever thinking back....
    OK. I've browsed through the manual, and have not found any references to the adaptive transmission (ECT-I).

That's strange, because, for example, VW manual screams of it. They even have an 'instructional' video where they mention the 'learning tranny'. I'll have to browse through that manual and see if the learned stuff disappears when the juice is off.

It does seem that the discharged/dead batteries would occur more often in the minivans/SUVs (more power usage, lights devices to forget to turn off, power sliding doors, radio, DVD, etc). It never is fun not to be able to start your car, but when your car doesn't drive as it used to after a battery replacement, it may add another ounce of frustration, IMHO.

Anyway, that's not a big deal to me since I only drive Sienna on occasions, so it won't learn my driving habbits. But it is nice to know that dead battery might = different driving characteristics. I'll just have to warn my wife.

Are there any tools/devices made that allow you to replace the battery and preserve information (other then 9v battery to the power port)?

Thanks for all of the replies and corretions.
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    I try to use after market alloy wheels. At market, it will cost about $250 to buy four alloy wheel. If with four new tires, it will cost about $450. To buy OEM four alloy wheel will cost $800. My van has tire warning gauge. Do any one know how this work? does there have any sensors on the OEM steel wheels now? Does the sensors can be moved to the after market alloy wheels? Thanks.
    Old question, does any one have installed OEM fog lights on LE trim?
    who believes in the advantages of AWD and/or 4WD doubt that FWD or FWD biased AWD is inherently unsafe?

If it's a good, even excellent, idea to distribute engine drive torque across all four contact patches then why isn't allocating drive traction to one set of tires and directional control traction to another a much better, and clearly safer idea, that asking a single set of contact patches to handle both drive traction and directional control traction requirements?

What would the argument be if we had FWD cars with rear wheel steering?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't believe FWD is inherently unsafe.

We've had this thread with you several times now Willard. No more. Enough. Finished. The end. Capice?

Steve, Host
    You are missing the fact that the available traction(friction)is much less on the rear tires of a car than the front. With the weight bias to the front of any car or van with the engine up front, the traction available up front is much more than the traction available in the rear. Thus you can lose traction and the rear end can slide out of control quickly on rear wheel drive cars. Two wheel drive rear wheel drive only pickup trucks are the most notorious for this due to the extremely light rear end if they are carrying no cargo.

You put all the engine torque to the rear where you have little traction and the rear end of your vehicle will easily swap ends with the front on slippery roads. When I was a teenager, we did it on purpose, making donuts this way to have fun in empty slippery parking lots. I also did it once, not on purpose, when on a freeway bridge that had iced up before the rest of the road. My rear wheel drive '72 Chevy paid the price at the end of the bridge as I slid into a highway sign sideways. My rear wheel drive right side rear axle, rear fender and rear window and my insurance company paid the price.

Get into a front wheel drive car where you have the weight up front and directional steering control of the applied torque and it is difficult to even get the vehicle to spin out.

I do believe wwest, that you apparently have never experienced a serious amount of winter driving in hazardous conditions, or you would not take the position that front wheel drive cars are somehow more unstable than rear wheel drive cars in slippery winter driving conditions.

Back to Sienna, I will respond no more as I know it is useless to convince wwest otherwise. I just hate to see other people being misled by misinformed postings.
    No more. Enough. Finished. The end.

Search for "wwest" if you must have more.

thanks,

Steve, Host
    I agree. You posted your cease and desist order #1556 while I was composing my response to Willard. Case closed.
  • eileen14eileen14 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm planning on buying a Sienna LE with option #7 and I'm trying to get quotes from three dealers. What fees are legit and not legit when all is said and done? Are there really document fees? I've done a ton of research on the van but not so sure of what to expect when it's time to sign the papers. I just need some good advice on this part about what's real and what's garbage.

thanks,
    Eileen14
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I still remember driving my all drum brake Duster through a large puddle, and then right through a stop sign since I had zero braking ability, so you will be hard pressed to convince me that drums are better in the wet.

I fell better now, so carry on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    DO NOT get caught in that trap. They are only two things you need to worry about:
    1) The OTD (out the door price) of your van thats inclusive off ALL fees, dealer prep, destination, etc. If a dealer will not give you an OTD price just move on to another dealer who will. If a dealer does not stick to the original OTD price just walk out. It really does not matter if dealer A charges $250 in fees if you get the car there for $1000 less than dealer B.

vechicle cost + ALL fees (taxes, tags, licence should be the same at all dealers in state) = OTD price

Its the only price you should compare.

2) If you have a trade there is a step #2. Get estimates from each of the dealers and figure out which one resuts in the least out-of-pocket for you.

OTD price - trade = what you pay. Just take the lowest one or the closest one with a good price.

Additionally, I suggest you call/e-mail more like 5-10 dealers and pick the best 1 and have 2 as back-ups. If they will not give you phone quotes or want you to come in to "discuss" then just move on. Its really not worth the trouble. There are many dealers that will give you e-mail/phone quotes and even estimates for your trade AND stick to it.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    OTD price is THE ONLY price that can be compared one dealer to another.
         Make sure the OTD includes ALL Taxes, License Fees, and everything else.
         Too many dealers advertise very low prices and then the fine print mentions rebates and incentives that most people can not get. Most dealers that advertise they have the lowest prices are usually the most crooked.
    Unless you are also price shopping out of state - in that case you have to make sure you account for your costs when you register your new van in your home town.

Toyota has a couple of captive distributors in the southern tier of states, so it helps to shop out of state if you live down there.

Search SET or Gulf States for more details and don't overlook the Toyota Sienna: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. In any event, focusing on the bottom line keeps you from bogging down on the line items and helps get you the best OTD price.

Steve, Host
    Disc brake rotors are fully out there in the open, subject to getting wet in the lightest rainfall. While drum brakes are not sealed by any means they are enclosed such that you most likely need to immerse then in water, as you did, in order to decrease their decidedly lower innate braking HP.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    You're killing us WWest. You've convinced us - now convince yourself!
     PS: I totally disagree with you.
    Disc brakes leave a much greater build up of grime on the wheels than do drum brakes. FWD vehicles really do not need disc brakes on the rear as front wheels contribute most to the actual stopping of the vehicle.
    So, are you saying the only fees I should pay other than destination are tax, title, license? And thanks for the great info about calling/email about my trade. I've been under the assumption you don't mention it till the end but I need to know who will give me the highest trade value. I never knew why you don't mention it but now I do--they make another profit off it!
    And it should NEVER be added to any sales order.
         Dealers usually make MUCH more profit on selling used vehicles than selling the new ones.
    Starting February 19, you will need to log in using your email address rather than your Town Hall username. Please update your email address if it has changed since you registered.

(yep, you too Buckeyedon).

Steve, Host
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Note quite. I'm saying it does not matter what fees they charge. All you want is the OTD price inclusive of EVERYTHING. So the fees each dealer charges really dont matter.

I have seen advertising fee, special delivery fees, dealer prep fee, and most are bogus but I really dont care and neither should you. Its the final price AFTER all the fees that I(you) really care about. All you want is an dead final OTD price so you can go in pre-approved and just write them a check and leave with your car or sign the paper work to get your car. Its a littler more tricky with a trade but the same principle applies.

The dealer I got my XLE AWD from gave me an OTD price that included a $90 processing fee and a "fair" price for my trade. Some dealers offered more for my trade but the overall out-of-pocket was more for me because their price or fees were higher. Its why the numbers for each dont matter. Its only the whole that matters.

The same applies for the warranty they will offer you. If you are going to get one then that should also factor into the whole.
    Thanks for the great advice about OTD. It's what I'll be looking for and I won't be afraid to walk away--I've done it before. I am trying to get as much info over the phone as I can. One dealer said they're not dealing on the Siennas. I'd imagine it's going to be like that all over. What are your thoughts on extended warranty? I think I'm going for an LE with option package 7. I wanted a base model XLE but I guess you have to get an option package with it? Is that correct?
    I owned a 99 Odyssey with rear drums and just bought a 2004 Odyssey which now has rear discs. I can't really tell any difference. These vans are fairly heavy and front weight biased so the front discs will do the lion's share of the work. I only replaced the drum shoes once on my Odyssey at 150,000 miles and that was just because we couldn't get them to stop screeching even though they were worn only 50% through. I would assume the Toyota would be similar. I wouldn't pay for an option package to get the rear discs, unless you really wanted the other stuff in the package.
    Dealers often make more on your trade than they make on selling the new car. If your trade has reasonable value, try selling it first. Compare average private seller retail price to average dealer trade-in prices. $2000 or more in difference is not uncommon. On the other hand, if you have a heap, then they might be doing you a favor to take it as they will just send it to the next auction.
    For anyone interested I have reposted my statements on FWD safety on "problems & solutions" for the 04+ sienna under maintainance and repair.
    It is possible to order a XLE with no options, several people have done so, at least one here and one at another Sienna site.

The LE with option 7 is a really great package as it gives you all the safety features you should really have.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    So as long as you don't tow anything or load up the backend with people and/or things you should be fine with drum brakes. You don't want to upset the front to rear weight distribution. You definetly don't want the best brakes you can get. Good enough should be fine.
    Disc brakes are a nice feature, but they are not entirely needed on any front wheel drive vehicle. The rear brakes provide less than 20% of the braking.

The primary reason Toyota adds discs to the rear is when the vehicle is equipped with VSC (vehicle stability control). Disc brakes can react much quicker to the inputs the VSC system uses to control the attitude of the vehicle.

As was pointed out, drums can last much longer and generally require much less maintenance. A well designed braking system can use disc/drum or disc/disc and provide more than enough braking power for the uses the vehicle is rated for.

Before belittling others and their real experience, it might be nice if you were speaking from a position of real knowledge. Misleading people with erroneous information is not helpful.
  • jake696jake696 Member Posts: 111
    ...are a pain to replace, a pain to keep properly adjusted (I despise that "star wheel")and are not as efficient as disc brakes. This almost sounds like a wwest argument! Have you ever worked on them KMead?
    Some of us frugal types think rear drums are cheaper to maintain, and as others have mentioned, the front brakes do most of the work anyway. Unless the stopping differences are radically different, I'd just as soon have rear drums. VSC would be nice to have though.

Steve, Host
    Rear drum brakes have been self-adjusting for about twenty years now. Except for replacement time.
This discussion has been closed.