Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    I think the answer is $. The idea is complicated by the fact that most people also want to be able to do stuff with those middle and rear row seats -- like fold them and/or remove them. Bending is tough on wired connections. Plugging and unplugging is worse. These can be handled, of course. But the solutions get expensive pretty quickly, the more so when you consider that they would have to wire all the vehicles this way or have even more expensive special-handling during construction to supply the option.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Hadn't considered the wiring issue and the need to flip/fold/spindle/remove the 2nd row seats. It would involve a series of contacts like you see in the side sliding doors but you are right concerning the cost. ANYTHING could be built in by the manufacturers but they've got to consider the cost against the market demand. As usual, the answer (rightfully so) is money.
    On the other hand, they did manage tire pressure sensors at a reasonable cost. The continuously-moving wheels exposed to the elements would seem a nightmare environment compared to folding seats. Hmmmmm. How did they manage the pressure sensor connections? Radio transmitters? Brushes on/in the hub?
  • pottebaumpottebaum Member Posts: 15
    Also, if they were to include stow-n-go seating in the Sienna, they would need to make the seats quite a bit thinner, therefore making them a bit less comfortable (something the T&C has experienced)
  • sev6sev6 Member Posts: 26
    Hey, you just made the 2000th post.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congress mandated tire pressure monitors so the suppliers got to spread the costs over a lot of new cars.

They are still pricy though - Conner from Tire Rack was quoting someone ~$120 a tire the other day for a replacement sensor (over in Tires, tires, tires iirc).

Steve, Host
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    The Sienna uses a system which monitors the total circumference of the tire versus all the other tires by monitoring the ABS sensors. A tire that is a different (smaller) circumference has lower pressure and there for lower pressure. It does not actually sense the pressure.

If they are all equally low on pressure it will not sense a problem. What it is really for is a relatively fast reduction in pressure.

So, beyond using the existing ABS sensors there is no wiring or added sensors. Other systems do use a pressure sensor in each wheel, these are much more damage prone and can suffer other types of failures.
    Here's Conner's post - it was in regard to a Lexus sensor, so maybe it has no applicability to the Sienna's system:

connortirerack "Ask Connor at The Tire Rack" May 13, 2004 11:24am

Steve, Host
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    has anyone sat in a stow n go seat????? i have and the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the t&c i tried are TERRIBLE, hard poor back support. it's a neat feature but i wanted something that adults as well as kids would be comfortable in well it ain't stow n go. As soon as i sat down it's like a board and no shoulder, back support.
    BUT--the way the t&c rear seat had numbered pulls makes it easier to understand how to fold and unfold the rear seat--nice feature. because the toyota is a bit like a puzzle. which won't take long to learn but longer learning curve. Sienna rocks.....for now.
  • vanmomvanmom Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have suggestions on what type of extended warranty to purchase for the XLE and what is a fair price? I pick up my new XLE that I ordered from the dealer in 2 days and would like to be a bit educated before I sit in front of the Finance guy. I hear that warranties should be negotiated. Toyota has such a great reputation but man, there are a ton of electronic gizmos on the XLE.
  • tarantaratarantara Member Posts: 3
    I visited local Toyota Dealer yesterdau and observed 2004 Sienna XLE with DVD Navigation system ($3650.00 option)

A hestiant saleman told me the Nav system DOES NOT USE GPS! HE said sattelite-based systems have _many_ problems due to "fading" :)

The Toyota site has a disclaimer for the system indicating that "Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location."

Please ... can someone confirm that the Sienna system does not use GPS? I find it had to believe as it renders the system very prone to error.

Many Thanks
    T
  • wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    See Lee Ann's (spongen) post #3926 in the "Toyota Sienna: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" thread. I bought from her dealer too. $500 for a factory platinum zero deductible 7 year 75,000 mile plan.

You're right about "a ton of electronic gizmos". One power door repair only would worth the cost of the plan. Just think of it as insurance. Hope you will never have to use it. Good luck!
    I just built an XLE Sienna on the Toyota website, and I'm a bit frustrated. I know I want the DVD, but the only way to add that on is to buy some 6,000 dollar package full of stuff that I don't even need. Is there any way around that?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Go to target and buy two DVD players for less than $700.00.
    I moved the above post over here (maybe it really should be in the Toyota Sienna Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion?).

If there's a lot of interest we can make a separate discussion like the Ody folks have.

Steve, Host
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    The salesman is incorrect. The NAV system uses GPS as well as other sensors.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Your salesman says its not GPS but is satellite guided? What does he think a Global Positioning Satellite is?
    are all too often lousy sources of technical information. On the other hand, they serve reasonably well as communication devices to carry messages between the customer and the sales manager.... ;-)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Re: desire for DVD without massive package?

Yes. (at least in my zip code, yours may vary)

DVD is available as a stand alone option under the "options" tab (AFTER the "packages" and "interior" tabs on the 'Build Your Own' section of Toyota's website). The DVD system (with the power inverter which adds the two very handy 110v outlets) has a MSRP of $1599.

Hope this helps.
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    took delivery last Friday of an XLE Artic Frost with Package #5 & Leather, and boy do i love this car.

My worse fear was to become a dad that drives a mini-van, but crazy enough, I dont mind driving this car at all. To go from a 2001 Miata to a Sienna is a huge culture shock, but nevertheless, I'm so impressed by the drivability of this car, and the creature comforts that I've convinced my friends to order one too!

So far 200 miles and no problems! Just a simply delicious car.
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    While I don't have the NAV system in our XLE Ltd, I do have a fair amount of experience with standalone GPS navigation units (Garmin GPS III+ and a Garmin Street Pilot III (Colormap III).

GPS-based navigation systems can have problems due to poor signal reception. This is usually caused when you are in an area that doesn't have a clear view of at least a good portion of the sky. Usually this is caused by very steep hills/canyons. Or in the case of urban areas, narrow streets and very tall buildings (so called urban canyons).

To accomodate these conditions, Nav systems in cars usually have a secondary inertial system that employs a compass and is tied into the speedometer to give a rough idea of where you are should you lose the GPS signals. The accuracy of this secondary system isn't as good as the GPS-based one.

Neither system is foolproof. You may see descrenpencies due to the quality of the maps provided on DVD, or bad GPS satellite reception/geometry, or the electronic compass being messed up because of local magnetic disturbances.

I have rarely ever completely lost satellite reception due to urban conditons. Even when travelling on the lower deck of the Bay Bridge (San Francisco/Oakland, CA), I still had reasonable signal reception.

In short, the salesman you were talking to doesn't know much about satellite-based NAV systems in my opinion...
  • touristtourist Member Posts: 5
    devsienna,

Check in at the Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel (55 Cyril Magnin Street) in San Francisco. When the valet brings your car around it will be 3 - 5 blocks before your rental car "EverLost" GPS system is able to figure out where it is and were it is going. It will keep cycling through a number of satellites before it identifies its location. Those buildings around Mission, Market, Ellis, etc probably define the term "urban canyon." By the time you get to the Bay Bridge (on any deck) you are clear sailing and the Nav system works fine. Same is true as you head out Van Ness toward the Golden Gate (and wine country ;o).

This is my experience on every visit to the Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel.

YMMV
    The biggest problem I've had is once the signal is recovered the system resets the "dead reckoning computation and oftentimes puts you where you're NOT, especially prone to putting you on parallel roadbeds.

In WA mountainous terrain it will often lose/regain about once a mile.
    You loose signal once a mile? Is this on a factory unit or a portable? The portables are notorious for this and its due to the lack of an external antenna.
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Does the DVD player interface with the stereo via a FM modulator? Or is it hard wired into the system? I'm talking about the Factory DVD Player. Thanks.
  • beatonesbeatones Member Posts: 4
    I think it is hard wired to answer question above. I would like to know from those who have factory dvd with 6 disc changer - where do you change the dvds - right in the head unit of the stereo up front, or up in the ceiling where the screen is. Also, is there a visible indicator up front to the driver whether the disc is playing, or visual cues as to what is happening (play, pause, menu selections, etc.)? If the factory unit doesn't provide these, do the dealer installed audiovox units do this?
    in MOUNTAINOUS terrain.
  • beatonesbeatones Member Posts: 4
    I think it is hard wired to answer question above. I would like to know from those who have factory dvd with 6 disc changer - where do you change the dvds - right in the head unit of the stereo up front, or up in the ceiling where the screen is. Also, is there a visible indicator up front to the driver whether the disc is playing, or visual cues as to what is happening (play, pause, menu selections, etc.)? If the factory unit doesn't provide these, do the dealer installed audiovox units do this?
    I can't imagine a mountainous situation where you wouldn't have line of sight on at least 3 sattelites. I can see where you wouldn't have the 6 to 9 I have when on the water, but unless your creeping through a cavern in that RX, I'm quite surprised. Again, that is what prompted my question of the type of unit you are using. What do you have?
    Try the Big Thompson Canyon on the road between Estes Park and Loveland, Colorado. If ever there was a place that might block the satellites, that would be it!
    That's basically the definition of urban canyon, tourist. And given the fact that the valet has probably parked your car underground, it's not surprising that the GPS system in the car has problems figuring out where you should be. And I'm willing to bet that the valet pickup is under some sort of sheltered area which blocks a clear view of the sky. Also, the GPS system does a lot better locking on to satellites if the car isn't moving when it's trying to initially aquire the satellite signals.

Most GPS-based NAV systems will allow you to initialize your starting posistion to make it easier for a) the inertial system to get a reasonable idea of where it is, and b) to make it easier for the GPS system to lock on to the satelllites.
    My Garmin StreetPilot III has a connection for an amplified external antenna. I typically attach the antenna to the bottom of the front windshield. No problems with getting a clear view of the sky that way, and my satellite signal strength screen tends to show full bars for those satellites that it has locked on to.
    We just test drove a Town and Country last night. Long story short...we will not be buying it. It was rather dull and the 2nd row seats were terrible to sit in.
    with absolutely useless factory GPS/nav option.

Pacific Northwest.
  • hozerhozer Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised to read the Edmunds review on the Sienna that their gas mileage was so low compared to your experience. I will be replacing my 2000 Pontiac Montana over the next 18 months and wish
    there was a hybrid available now that gas is $2/gal.
  • ralphb1ralphb1 Member Posts: 1
    We've got 8000 miles on mine, mostly rural or highway stuff. It's a 2004 4wd model, and our average mileage is 20.5. It wasn't nearly as good the first thousand miles though.
    I think the low mpg on the Edmunds long-term test Sienna may be due to a different driver every month (not to mention various editors borrowing it for a family trip to the mountains on weekends). Some editors have heavier right feet and some have awful commutes.

The fleet is based in Santa Monica, so you have all the California formulated gas blends to deal with too.

Steve, Host
  • sxdesantsxdesant Member Posts: 10
    I have to ask. Are you reporting the automated mpg calculator or actual miles to gallons used. I have about 18000 miles on my AWD and usually get 19.2 to 19.5. The automated system gives me 21.3.
    Another member expressed doubt about the low long term mpg for the test Sienna over in the 2004 Minivan Comparison Test discussion, so I've contacted editorial asking them to double-check the figures.

Steve, Host
  • steph280steph280 Member Posts: 20
    The Toyota navigation system is OEM from Denso, which is also OEM for Lexus (obviously), Ford (Jaguar/Volvo/RangeRover), certain GM vehicle, among others. A few of us have retrofitted them into our 04 Sienna with great success. They integrate with Sienna's RSA/RES, and it lets you watch DVD from the RES, with full touch screen control. I find this valuable specially with kids in the back.

These navigation unit relies heavily on compass and VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to determine your position, with GPS as aid to "reset" your current location. Some fancier nav unit such as Pioneer actually has G-force sensors and incline sensor for added accuracy.

Here is a good page describing auto GPS navigation in layman's terms:
    http://www.denso.com.au/dw/satnav/satnav_gen.htm
  • steph280steph280 Member Posts: 20
    There are actually two type of "factory" RES DVD system. One is genuine Toyota made by Panasonic, another is retrofitted at port by southeast Toyota distributor. Former is wired to the vehicle audio system at line level providing better quality, while latter is fed through FM modulator which means your DVD will sounds only as good as FM broadcast, just like the aftermarket units.

For both system, DVD is changed up in the ceiling RES unit where the screen is. The front 6CD changer headunit can only switch the audio to pipe DVD sound to speakers. However, if you have a navigation unit instead of the CD changer head unit, it will allow you full control (play pause menu selection etc).
    Aftermarket units are the samething. Only thing you can do in the front is tune to the FM frequency where the DVD player is broadcasting so you hear sound through speakers. You could use the remote control to make changes, but you can't see the changes unless if you have a LCD screen up front hooked up to the DVD (which is illegal in many states).
  • owner2bowner2b Member Posts: 11
    Could anyone give me some tips as to what all to look for (a final check list to go over the van and make sure there are no scratches/dents/electrical problems etc.) before handing over the cash to the dealer and driving away from the dealer's lot in that new Sienna?
    I have already done all the negotiations and settled on the price, and the day is almost here when I will go and pick up the van.

Thx in advance to your advice.
    I would suggest a search using the term: sienna delivery checklist on google. You will find the best checklist I know of that is specifically tailored to the Sienna and includes some of the electronic preset choices for XLEs and other models.
  • tarantaratarantara Member Posts: 3
    Excellent post.

Many Thanks for the link to Denso.

The Denso site said they were OEM for Aussie deliveries but didn't mention Worldwide or U.S.

I wonder why the systems don't use continuous GPS like the portable units do and then use the "dead-reckoning" system as a backup?

Thanks Again
    T
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Hi
    I would like to know if anybody has put a 6 disk changer in the Ltd with NAV. I just got the van and any help would be highly appreciated.
    Thankyou
    Krystal
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I had the same issue/question and decided after research that I will wire in connections for an iPod rather than just add a 6-disc player into the van when I make my purchase next year if they haven't made the 6-disc available. Have seen various wiring options and will still be interested in alternatives if some oneelse has any.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    See, most sales people, but not all, hate their jobs.
    Thus, they are ignorant with many features available.
    Everybody knows that NAV uses GPS! Heck, at least 12 of them orbiting in space!
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    I've had my Sienna for a week now, I've searched all of the Sienna discussions and can't find anyone who is having excessive vibration issues. My symptoms, on certain choppy areas of the L.A. freeway system, I get this annoying shaking/vibration where everything on the table starts shaking. I had to take the fast food soda w/ice out of the table cupholder and put it into the one on the dash! This Van is so quiet, it's a shame this dang table is ruining the experience. I looked into getting the console from the XLE/Limited......$700!
  • artiedartied Member Posts: 2
    Has the rearview camera been an option that everyone has liked? Any problems?
    The vibration you speak of (actually a sympathetic harmonic in this case) is likely a function of the suspension tuning relative to the frequency of the roadway.

I used to live in LA and suffered a similar problem with my VW Golf on some of the roads (134/210 and part of the 110).

I don't honestly know of a way to minimize this problem beyond putting a brace under the drivers side of the table so it no longer is a cantilever and will there for vibrate less. Try cutting a stick long enough that it slightly lifts the left edge of the tray, taking up all the slack in the articulating mounting. Put it about midway along the length of the tray (likely near the safety belt buckle area).

Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.