Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Yeah, you nailed it on the head. At first I thought it was loose, then I though maybe the attachment point (pivot point) was too high. After looking at it yesterday, and seeing the way it's mounted (which is quite impressive for a tray table, alot of thought went into that). It needs something like the rod that holds the hood up, to do exactly what you described.

In the mean time, I found this stuff to dampen the vibration. The Taupe matches perfectly
    http://www.duckproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=5&subid- =23&plid=102&PID=1571
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The update on the Long Term Road Test mpg error will take a while longer. The Sienna is being enjoyed by an Edmunds exec. (my guess is a family road trip is in progress <g>) and editorial hasn't been able to access the gas logs to review the numbers.

Steve, Host
  • sirtaxsirtax Member Posts: 2
    I have a deposit on an LE (quoted $24,344) with package 1 (AM) {trip computer, auto sliding door on passenge side, and rear audio}-$500, and free floor mats, for a total before tax of $24888 (is this a good deal?). Should I go for it or hold out until 2005 when the hybrid (hopefully) comes out? And when will it come out? Could it be later this year?? I am toying with the tax credit for qualified electric vehicles as this moment? Need feedback. (in South Florida)
  • wesselink1wesselink1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 XLE model that we bought in Jan. 2004. The van was smooth as silk when we first got it and now we have about 3800 miles on it and the transmission feels very "jerky" to me. When I turn a corner or even on interstate with the cruise set it will seem to "jump" a little. Any thoughts on what this could be before I contact the dealer and get the runaround.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    can you explain more of your symptoms, and when they come to roost?
    Either of you (or any recent buyers) live in MI?

A newspaper reporter would like to talk with recent minivan buyers who live in Michigan. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com or swebster@freepress.com with your daytime phone number by Thursday, June 17, 2004.

Thanks, Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com

Steve, Host
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    I had a question about the rear audio in the 2004 sienna, but not when it is integrated into the rear seat dvd system. I would like to know how it works, what features it has, and its layout. Thank you.
    On the Sienna Xle and Xle Ltd, I was also wondering about the power rear liftgate and power doors. How well do they work, and where can you power the trunk and/or doors from(i.e. remote, overhead console, etc.) Thanks so much!
  • wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    Yes, On the Sienna Xle and Xle Ltd, the power rear liftgate and power doors could be operated from the remote, or the overhead console if the door power is on and the doors are unlocked, plus 2 more push buttons on the pillars for the sliding doors.

Also, pull a little on both the inside and outside handles will trigger the power sliding doors to operate. Lift the handle will also power open the liftgate. Pull on the strap will power close it as well. They all would auto reverse if encountered resistance during operation.

The power is controlled by a switch on the dash near driver's left knee.
  • shiffrinshiffrin Member Posts: 6
    The fuse for my 12V outlet is blown and I'm trying to find a replacement without buying it from the dealer (which I assume will be expensive, but I'm going to check today).

The fusebox for this fuse is under the dash and there are no spares. The fuse is not a standard mini fuse like the ones under the hood (which do have spares).

I've been to some auto supply stores, but they had never seen a fuse like that.

Has anyone found where to buy these fuses?

Barry
    "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released its latest set of crash test and rollover rankings -- and the Toyota Sienna minivan has emerged as a good choice for minivan buyers interested in rollover safety. The van, new for 2004, received a four-star rating from the agency, which recently began rating rollover likelihood with a new real-world test in addition to its former mathematical tests."

Source: Edmunds Vans Newsletter and www.safercar.gov

Steve, Host
  • dcheung1dcheung1 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2004 XLE AWD and had the same problem, the seats are rattling too much. Was this problem resolved? Is this suspension problem? Can it be adjusted?
  • wesselink1wesselink1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

It appears to happen most when I go to accelerate or have a sudden change in speed. Also have noticed this problem while the cruise is on.

Thanks for any help you can give.
  • mueng92mueng92 Member Posts: 1
    Ocassionally our radio antenna will loosen up and rattle on our 2004 LE. I then have to get out and screw it back in. Thankfully, I have always noticed it before it backed all the way out and flew off the van. Anyone else have this problem?

Any ideas on how to keep it tight? I am afraid if I use something on the threads, it will effect the quality of the radio reception.
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    Get a small tube of locktite and you will not have this problem anymore. Don't use red, its pretty permanent
  • ckwalkerckwalker Member Posts: 2
    I'd try a split lock washer between the antenna and the base.
  • taishopaultaishopaul Member Posts: 6
    Have a 2004 sienna limited awd van and would like to know if you can add running boards.Toyota dealer claims you can not add running boards. Has anyone added running boards after purchase?
  • scottjyscottjy Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know of any cons to having the 2nd and 3d row side impact airbags with young children?
    In the manual they state one should not allow people to lean on the sides of the vehicle with one's face against the glass. The bags come from the headliner right at the edge where it meets the inside window trim straight down along the sides of the windows and pillars.

Given the configuration of the car; the distance of the seats from the sides and that armrests, it would be very difficult to lean on the sides of the car in any case. In addition most modern child seats and boosters have considerable head bolsters that keep the child centered in the seat.

We have the side curtain bags with 3 children and an 8 passenger (which has less room from the outside seats to the sides of the vehicle) and have had no problem with our kids being near the sides.

The benefits of a side curtain are considerable as has been shown by the IIHS tests. Some info can be found at the IIHS web site.

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/2004/pr041804.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/2003/pr082603.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv_cu- rrent.htm

Notice the difference in the results for identical cars (Accord and Camry) with and without side curtain airbags. In the unfortunate chance that you need them, they could be the difference between a deadly accident and debilitating or possibly just walking away.

Personally, I won't buy another vehicle without Side Curtains or Vehicle Stability Control.
    Did someone say that there would be a hybrid version of the sienna? Will it be available with All Wheel Drive? What other changes are there on the 2005 model?
    Apparently the majority of changes will be package differences or replacements. There will be some new features such as mirrors with turn signals on some packages.

The hybrid will be a bit later and will use the same system shown on the RX330 and the Highlander. I believe it will be AWD
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you found it or heard about it, because I would also like to actually see it myself. Thanks!
    There is another web site devoted to the Sienna that has a wide spectrum of members. Due to the rules on this forum, I cannot post its URL, but I would assume a search would get you the address.

We don't know all the changes obviously, but as 05 production will be starting soon we will soon know.
  • resque84resque84 Member Posts: 21
    I'm looking to get an 8 seater LE Package # 7, how easy is it for the kids to get into the rear seat ?does the middle row seat slide forward or fold forward ??
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    I am not sure but I think for 2005, Toyota will come up with some SUV hybrids (Highlander or EX330)

Sienna may be beyond 2005

2005 Sienna changes &#150; most car manufacturers do some minor cosmetic changes for their 2nd year models, and this will include the Sienna. We can always be surprise though!

For me, whether it is model year 04 or 05, I think that I will be looking for options that will improve a little for safety in a Sienna now that my wife have a changed of heart (again) and willing to give up her SUV

Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and three-row side curtain airbags
    Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) + Traction Control (TRAC)
    Rear disc brakes

If I am happy with the price and options available, I will not wait for the 05. If one can, another 2-3 months won't hurt
  • storm11storm11 Member Posts: 38
    Resque84: I have an LE8 and the seating configuration is wonderful. It is easily accessible to the rear with a mere lift of a lever on the side of the passenger second row seat. It is spring activated, so once you lift it, the seat folds and tumbles forward, out of the way, in one motion. Pretty slick system. Wish my '04 Honda Pilot had the same system to access the back. On it, the seat folds and slides, but no tumble out of the way. Honda needs to learn this trick from Toyota. It's a much better system.

We're a family of six, so the LE8 was the way to go. Would've preferred an XLE8, but it's not offered. Need the extra two seats for friends and family visiting. Works great, roomy, comfortable, reliable, and that Toyota quality. Nice van. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.
    Do all the Sienna (2004) headlights turn off automatically or just those with auto options?

Thank you.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I think that now with all the delays for delivery of the RX400h it should be becoming obvious that Toyota has run into problems, like hitting a BRICK WALL maybe, with scaling the hybrid design up to V8 performance.
    We love our 8 seater (3 kids). Each seat in the second row can: slide forward, fold the seat back down flat, fold up and be held in the up position with a strap. They can also be removed. The center seat in that row can also be moved to a forward position and still do all the above actions.

The outer seats are very easy to flip up with the same lever used to adjust the back rest angle (this is a two step process, fold the seat back flat and then pull the lever to fold the whole seat forward).

We have a LE8 with package BW (7) and are pleased with it, we live in west Michigan and the VSC and TRAC came in handy several times last winter. Get the gray interior.
    I have posted the same in the accessories forum, but maybe I can get more response here (Steve, if double posting is not allowed, please delete this one)

When I bought the Sienna for my wife, the important options that I looked for was to enhance the safety feature of the car so I decided to get the LE with Package#7 that includes vehicle stability control, traction control and rear disc brakes.

Wife is happy with the Sienna, I feel comfortable with the option I got. Now it is time to have some wishes -

1. Fog Light if it can be installed
    2. Rear spoiler mainly for the looks
    3. The hood protector, hopefully to protect from debris and also for the looks

I read somewhere that maybe the clear hood protector is a better choice. Can someone direct me to the site I can look at for this one? Although the one being sold by Toyota if I can't get the clear one, will also be ok

Anyone has added the spoiler? Fog lights? Any problems with installing them? Thank you
    An occasional cross post won't hurt anything - for those who don't know about the Owner's Club, here's a link:

Toyota Sienna Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Check out Car front end protective bras & film too.

Steve, Host
    Dear Kmead,
    I understand that you can't post the URL, but can you tell me what to search under? I am not so great with all of this internet stuff, and it would be very helpful. Thank you so much!
    I think a search for other Sienna clubs on the net should turn it up :-)

Try plugging that into google.com or teoma.com.

Check out the Toyota Sienna Owners: Future Models board too.

Steve, Host
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    I'm looking to buy an SUV or this minivan anytime now. I just wanted to know owners oppinion on this vehicle. any good and bad points, problems or experience to share would be appreciated.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Here's your running boards http://www.trdparts4u.com/
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    " Honda needs to learn this trick from Toyota. It's a much better system."

Sounds like the system used in the first generation Honda Odyssey. Maybe Toyota got it from Honda - don't know why Honda dropped it.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is hoping to interview a recent buyer who looked at a Honda but then opted for another make. Please send your brief comments about your decision along with your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 16, 2004.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • backsterbackster Member Posts: 12
    Good Day All!
    Currently waiting for delivery of our Limited AWD w/ the HO pkg(Navigation and DVD). Does anyone know if there are port(s) to allow plugging in a game system (xbox, or playstation or game cube)? Thanks in advance

backster
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    Yes there is. It's behind the middle passenger seat, driver's side. In addition to the video-in (composite) and L/R audio-in ports is a 110V power plug suitable for powering the game system, thus no need for a seperate inverter plugged into one of the 12V receptacles.
  • alnooralnoor Member Posts: 7
    Hi All!

Thanks for all the good info provided here. I have a question: Does the power seats that come in XLE or LE packages have memory setting for two drivers? I thought I read a post that this was going to be a hot feature in the 05'Honda. So I went to look at the brochure for Toyota and could find no mention of it.

Seems like such a basic feature to me, that I wouldn't have even thought about looking for it until someone else brought it up.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Unfortunately, NO. There is no memory settings even not for 1 driver. There is also no power sear at all for the passenger seat (if that interest you).

Those 2 missing feature was one of the few complains almost all XLE/Limited owners had. As I heard, Toyota will add power passenger seat for '05, but I'm not sure.

I will always wonder: Why there is no single car out today in the world with 'ALL' features combined (I'm not counting $100K Mercedes). Toyota itself has so many good features, and they're dividing them between the models. To name a few:

- Avalon - rain sensing wipers
    - Matrix - when a bulb burns out you get a message exactly which bulb to replace
    - Camry - power adjustable pedals
    - Sienna - HID lamps, laser cruise, backup sensor and camera

The Avalon has both, power seat for psngr and memory seat for driver.

You read somewhere that gonna be a hot feature for the '05 Ody? Why should this be a 'hot' feature? Most other minivans already have them. All domestic had them already for years (Chrysler T&C Limited, Ford Windstar/Freestar Limited, Oldsmobile Silhouette GL, and will be on the Buick Terraza.)
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    We love our AWD Sienna. It was $10K less than the Sequoia we considered, gets better mileage, and has considerably more interior & cargo room. It's cheaper to insure than an SUV, too.

Be aware, there's no spare tire, and the Dunlop run-flat tires are expensive to replace ($200+ each).
    On the Sienna XLE Limited, how exactly does the laser-dynamic cruise control work, and what are its advantages over regular cruise control?
    Also, is it possible to disable the parktronic or at least the sounds that it makes on the XLE Limited? Thanks very much.
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    The laser cruise control uses a laser/sonar sensor to detect if there is a car in front of you and how close it is. You set a speed you want to cruise at, and an approximate following distance (short, medium or long). The system then attempts to do one of two things, maintain the speed you've set, or maintain the distance between you and the car in front of you. It will automatically cut the throttle and/or apply the brakes so that you don't crash into the back of the car in front of you. If the car in front speeds up, or gets out of your way, it will then apply the throttle as necessary to get you back up to your speed or to continue to maintain the distance between the two of you. A warning tone is sounded if it thinks you are about to crash into the car in front of you (like if the car in front brakes suddenly, or someone suddenly cuts in front of you) and thinks it can't stop the car in time. It will still apply the brakes and cut the throttle as necessary while sounding the "hey wake up!" tone.

You can disable the dynamic cruise control and go with traditional cruise control if you want. This is necessary when driving in heavy fog and rain. But the default is for the laser cruise to be selected when you turn cruise control on each time.

The advantage is you can set a highway speed you'll want to travel at and if you get into heavier traffic it'll automatically adjust and when the traffic improves, get back up to your preffered speed. Kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. There's a big warning that the dynamic laser cruise control is not a subsitute for inattentive driving and that you still need to pay attention.

We love it, but are careful not to let it lull us into inattentiveness (which can happen quite easily if you are not careful). The first time the system brakes heavily and sounds the warning tone can be quite disconcerting.

You can turn the parktronic system completely off if you want. There's a button on the center console to do so. However, there's no way to just turn the sound off and keep the display which shows the approximate location of the obstruction. It's an either all or nothing system.
  • alnooralnoor Member Posts: 7
    thanks for the info. i used the word "hot" sarcastically. i can understand if it did not come on the basic models, but higher trim models should offer it. toyota put some esoteric features on the xle limited like "laser cruise control", etc, but excluded something so basic like driver memory setting.

just my 2 cents. still a good van, but it makes it hard for me personally since i am spoiled by my current cars. almost to the point that i might wait to see if the 05 has it before i buy.

cheers,
    al.
    Does anyone know where I can find any information on the 2005 sienna? Thank you.
    How is the navigation system on the Sienna? Any problems? Any special features taht are useful? Thanks.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    It's a very good Nav system, probably the only OEM one that is superior is the Honda/Acura one, but I think the maps on the Toyota version are easier to read. I've had a couple of occasions where it routed me on a route that really didn't make sense (sent me the wrong direction on a highway, then had me make a u-turn on an on-ramp to go in the proper direction for example), but it's always gotten me to where I wanted to go.

The biggest problem with it IMO is that it only allows limited input while the vehicle is moving, although that can be fixed. The Points of Interest (POI) database is somewhat lacking as well. Some places you'd think should be in there aren't. One especially useful feature is that it does a very good job of providing micro-level guidance once you're near a turn. It splits the screen and keeps the regular view on half the screen, and "draws" a picture of what you're going to do at the upcoming intersection/on ramp/etc. very clearly. I've never had any trouble deciphering the guidance even at complex intersections. Another feature I think is particularily nice is the route preview. It runs a cursor along the route on the map to show you which roads are included in the trip.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Sienna XLE Ltd with package 2 (I think, who knows with the screwed up packaging system they have). Anyway, Ltd with no DVD or Nav. It is a totally different van from the 2000 we traded in. If Lexus sold a minivan, this would be it!

We didn't want the Nav and figured the DVD entertainment system was no way worth the cost - for once I'll side with Mr. West that you can score a pair of decent laptop DVD players or even the kind that hang between the seats in front of you for one third the price. In either case, we already have a car TV (with VCR) that plugs in just fine. The 115V outlet in back WOULD be nice though...just not worth 1600 bucks!

I do like the backseat audio - wherein the kids can listen to their noisy CDs while Mom and I can either talk or listen to the radio.

After a weekend roadtrip I'll concur with the comments about the laser speed control - nice, but limit use to when traffic is very light or passing is not an option. Each time you come upon a vehicle that must be passed, it slows you down to match his speed first, then you get over and it downshifts and slams the throttle open - unless you get over a couple hundred feet behind the guy. But it's easy enough to turn off when you're frustrated. I noticed it also senses when a person pulls in front of you and is going faster than you -- it doesn't slow you down then. That's a smart feature. Still lots to learn about.

I think the audio system is great. Listened to a range of music on our trip and it performed very well. RDS is cool if you live in an area with a decent selection - or are passing through an area.

I don't know if anybody else mentioned it, but my insurance cost on this van - brand new - is $70 less per six months than my 2000 LE. I figure it's all the safety and security features. But yes, I'm getting a little back from my insurer.
This discussion has been closed.