Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• taishopaultaishopaul Member Posts: 6
    thanks for info on running boards on seinna limited. have ordered same and now waiting for delivery. you made my day.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Glad it was what you were looking for, hope the install goes smooooooth:)
  • vanquestvanquest Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone shed light on this because Toyota itself cannot....

The spec sheet on the Sienna refers to an 'engine immobilizer' as standard on an LE and an 'anti-theft engine immobilizer' as standard on an XLE. What in the world might be the difference?

Thanks.
  • jsvanguyjsvanguy Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone speculate on how much more $$ the 2005 Sienna will cost vs the 2004.

What will be the difference is resale value be for the 2005 vs the 2004 in 3-5 years?

Economically, how much more should I be willing to pay for a 2005, if I am concerned about resale value in 3-5 years?
    Here's the updated pricing for the 05'Camry. I know Apples to Oranges, but, this is all that's out there to my knowledge. Kelly Blue Book should have used pricing the next quarter (9/1). As you said "SPECULATION".
    http://www.toyota.com/about/news/product/2004/07/01-1-06camrypric- ing.html
    Raydahs-Thanks for the info. If the 2005 Sienna price increase is $500 or so, then it would seem the 05 is the way to go. Rsale value in 3-5 years on the 05 vs the 04 should be several thousand dollars higher?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Rsale value in 3-5 years on the 05 vs the 04 should be several thousand dollars higher?"

Why? They're the same vehicle. The only difference I know of will be some slight reshuffling of packages and equipment levels. I can't see someone 3-5 years from now paying substantially more for an '05 vs an '04.
    I did a KBB search between a 02' & 03' XLE/w 20K mi., trade in value "good" condition and got a difference of $1500. (same mileage)

Ooops, Repost - But if you do a 02' w/24K mi. vs 03' w/36K mi. Then you get a difference of $2400. Forgot to take in to account the 12k annual mileage factor.
    Try comparing an '00 to a '01 (assuming these are still the same generation vehicles). As time goes by, the value differences from year to year should be even less.
    I'll check my owners manual and post later, but IIRC the difference is a "Glass breakage sensor" feature?
    Yep, your right! The 00' w/60k was $12,875 the 01' w/48k was $14,880 = $2005.
    Try comparing the '00 with the '01 WITH THE SAME MILEAGE (so the only difference is the model year).
    I see what ya mean now, if they bought a 04' model the last week of September 04', or 05' model the first week of October 04'. Using the same mileage, the difference would be $850, using the 00' vs. 01' data.
    YES!

Now apply this to an '04 vs an '05. In the last week of October you'll probably be able to wrangle some decent deals on the '04s (assuming there are units left in stock) whereas you probably won't be able to get as good of a deal on the '05 (assuming there is not an appreciable difference in equipment). I wouldn't be surprised if you can save MORE than the $850 by buying stock from the outgoing model year.

So, if 3-5 years down the road the vehicle from 1 model year later is worth about $1k more, yet you PAID about $1k more for it, was it really worth it?
    Found it on page 13 and 48 of the manual. The (theft deterrent system) per the manual, is "To deter the vehicle theft, the system is designed to sound an alarm if any of the side doors, back door or hood is forcibly unlocked or opened or the battery terminal is disconnected and then reconnected when the vehicle is locked. The alarm blows and the horn intermittently and flashes the headlights, taillights and turn signal lights and turns on the front personal lights".
  • vanquestvanquest Member Posts: 14
    thanks. is that on the xle or the le?
    Per the online brochure, XLE & XLE Limited.
    Thanks to all for the great feedback!

I am OK with buying a 2004 now!
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    Had my first problem with my XLE Limited. It has 5000 miles and is 5 months old. The check engine light, the VSC (vehicle skid control) light, and the traction control off light all came on while driving. Yes I checked the gas cap!! What I find weird is that two dealers told me it is an emission problem and when the check engine light goes on, it disables the VSC and traction control. Why would Toyota have an emission problem disable these valuable safety features?
  • markhootmarkhoot Member Posts: 23
    My buddy has a new Sienna with 17" tires
    (regular, not run-flat) that need to be replaced. Any ideas? Tire Rack
    opinions don't reveal any favorites.

Thanks.

Mark
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Bridgestone Turanzas FOREVER.

Very quiet and comfortable ride.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    well i love my new sienna xle ltd almost 2000 miles and today we are going on our first long trip from NY to PA . i am slightly nervous but looking forward to a nice drive from the city to the country. My thing is WHY no road side assistance with toyota?? i had 2 GM's before this and it always came for 3 yrs/ 36,000 miles . i just hope i have better luck with this then i had with either of them. wish me luck and if there is any news i will report after the trip.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You'll find with Japanese cars road assistance isn't really needed. But if you're concerned AAA has a deal for you.
    Most insurance companies include that, don't they? I have 21st Century and it's included, you might want to check your policy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or as some would say, Don't Worry, Be Happy!

isellhondas "Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems" Jul 23, 2004 5:46pm

Steve, Host
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Most insurance companies include that? I've never heard of this before. I'm not sure about that.

The reason I think is, that Toyota doesn't need to offer roadside assistance in order to attract customers. Toyota will anyway sell all their vehicles for a good price, so why offer roadside assistance?

But the domestic models will offer you much more, because they need more customers. It's actually kinda "rebate" IMO.
    It’s irrelevant to import or domestic and it’s not a rebate. It’s a perk or service provided saying thanks for buying our product. Just because it’s a Toyota or Honda doesn’t mean it’s exempt from flat tires, dead batteries and heaven forbid an on road mechanical failure, which would require the vehicle being towed to the nearest dealer.

I could be wrong but, the premium Asian manufacturers started this with the introduction of Lexus, Infinity and Acura. Some insurance companies (21st and Progressive) offer it as well.

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty_vehicle_protection/roadside_- assistance.html

http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Purchasing/AcuraPlus/RS.htm
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    We have it from our insurance company (USAA). It costs a few dollars a year extra. But if you're traveling out of town a good bit or live in a huge megalopolis (where being stranded at rush hour is life threatening) it's great peace of mind. A single 800 number brings you a tow truck and mechanic lickity split. Call your insurer and see if you can add it before your trip.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Anyway, we're talking about "FREE" assistance. You can get many deals for a small fee, either by AAA, your insurance co., some credit cards offers, some cellular phones offers, etc.

Fact is that Toyota (& Honda I think) does not have free Roadside assistance, while all domestic makes do offer it.
  • taishopaultaishopaul Member Posts: 6
    Have you heard of anyone adding a turbonator to the air intake hose to increase gas milage and horsepower to a 2004 sienna van. I just sent for one and will let everyone know how it works, after I install same.
    Check your e-mail, I sent a link to this discussion from another board. You'll find varying opinions there.
  • carwise3carwise3 Member Posts: 3
    I had to have my engine replaced at 3000 miles due to a defective engine (incorrect bearings installed that prevented oil circulation).

In my view the car is no longer a new 3000 mile car and I believe that Toyota should offer some compensation or a car swap. I have not been able to get anyone to discuss this defect, or to explain to me how I could have been sold a new car with a defective engine. I cannot even get my phone calls returned.
    Any opinions?
    Seems to me it's now a 3,000 mile car with a new engine. Parts are defective all the time; that's what warranties are for, although you don't read about new engine replacements very often.

I suppose you could ask for compensation if you had to rent a car during the repair or you broke down on vacation, but otherwise it sounds like you've received what any dealer or manufacturer would give you.

Steve, Host
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    Is there any chance that dual power sliding doors and power trunk might be available on the LE/LE AWD
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Not so. Tire Rack survey results give high marks to the Goodyear Fortera HL Edition (225/60-17), scoring fifth out of 67 tires. My Sienna XLE is AWD, but I'll probably replace the run-flats with these.
  • kidsdriverkidsdriver Member Posts: 4
    I have 12,000 miles in 12 months on my XLE AWD and the tire repair shop told me all four Dunlops are passed the safety band on the outside today while fixing flat. Are you doing OK with your run flats? Are you moving away from run-flats because of the ride or other reasons?
    I have 6K on my XLE AWD after three months. I have no performance complaints with the run-flats, but based on what I've read and researched, I'm not expecting these to last past 20K. So I've been shopping in advance for various tire options for this vehicle, especially since I just bought a second set of 17" Toyota Sienna rims (got'em cheap on Ebay) for the Blizzak winter tires I plan to buy.

I'm not complaining about the run-flats, as many here do. I knew when I purchased the vehicle that there was no spare, and replacement run-flats were expensive. It's more of a wear issue for me. I'd be more inclined to justify the cost of the DSST's if they lasted longer. So I'm considering conventional replacements-- especially since I'll have an extra set of wheels & tires in a pinch.
  • mduartemduarte Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know when the 2005 Toyota Sienna will be out and what changes it will have, if any? I have a 2000 Honda Ody and have been less than thrilled with it...

Thanks,

Michelle
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    What caused you to be "less than thrilled with it" ?
          Most Odyssey owners love their Odyssey which is the most attractive minivan with the most power, delivers good gas mileage, and was reasonably priced. My son loves his 2001 Ody EX.
          The Sienna also has a very loyal ownership. It is highly probable that there will be NO changes in the 2005 Sienna although the 2005 Odyssey is reported to be changed significantly from the 1999-2004 model years.
    Well, at 40,000 miles, just out of warranty, the electrical system broke...I cannot remember the name of it all, but it was a $900 dollar fix...the van was stuck in 4th gear. After many hoops, they finally agreed to honor the warranty on it. Also, the transmission shifts funny...it will downshift hard sometimes. For the $$ paid, I just thought it would be better...I am definately NOT in love with it...certainly it's not as bad as some out there, but I have not been happy with it. The deciding factor for us 4 years ago was the design of the folding seats.

michelle
    Thanks. I can easily understand why you are interested in a Sienna to replace it. I have been impressed with Toyota reliability from personal experience.
    When do the 2005s come out?

Michelle
    Mileage comments?

Long-Term Test: 2004 Toyota Sienna

Steve, Host
    I looked at and sat in a couple of 2004 Siennas on March 31, 2003. I printed the 2004 Sienna Specifications from the Toyota website on January 31, 2003.
         It appears that the 2004 Sienna were in production in late 2002. Thus, the 2004 Sienna will be the NEWEST model Sienna for almost 24 months.
         The Sienna will most likely be the #1 selling 2004 model minivan since it is a VERY nice minivan with Toyota reliability and will be on sale for almost 2 full years.
         There will probably be more 2004 Siennas sold than 2004 Caravan (short wheel base and Grand Caravan) since the 2005 Caravan were released early as was the 2004 Sienna. Model year 2004 Caravans were in production for about 6 months or less.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Yes, how can the best fuel economy be lower than the average fuel economy? Or is that the best fuel economy for July only? Sounds like Edmunds might need a mathematician on staff or a clearer presentation of the fuel economy numbers. Those are some pretty awful numbers otherwise (large SUV territory).
    It's confusing - there's mpg for the quarter being reported on and mpg lifetime.

Steve, Host
    The "best" and "worst" figures are only for the preceeding test interval. The average fuel economy is measured over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Steve - those guys in LA need to get the Sienna out on some more road trips. This 99% city (clogged LA artery) driving is KILLING the Sienna which, from most accounts, gets much better mileage than you guys are reporting. Just my .02.
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    I was scrolling back to this time last year and it seems that people were already able to see 2004 Siennas at their local dealers. What's going on this year? Are they deliberately holding back on 2005 info? Would the out the door price on a 2005 ordered today be likely to be much more than a similar 2004 purchased today?
    The 2004 model was introduced early (March '03 intro if I remember correctly). New 2005 models should be in the showroom mid/late September. AFAIK, the only differences between the '04 and the '05 would be different packages and/or standard equipment on the various models.

I've no idea what Toyota may do with pricing on the '05 models since their main competitor (Ody) will be brand spankin' new. I wouldn't think Toyota would get too cute with any price increases in the face of stiffer competition from Honda. Who knows.
    Keep in mind, Toyota raised the base price of the '04 Sienna by $220 back in April. I'm sure '05 model will have a similar increase. It may be difficult to compare '04 apples to '05 apples, as I understand option packages are going to be simplified and/or modified for 2005.
This discussion has been closed.