Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    When you say they increased the price, do you mean that they increased it compared to the 2003 Sienna or that they increased it from where it had been when the 2004 Sienna was first introduced? I know that the past can help predict the future, so I am curious. Thanks for claryifying if possible.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Toyota increased the price(by $220, at least in my region) from where it had been when the '04 was first introduced. I bought my van in March of '04, and prices went up a month later.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    I'm looking at a writeup in Automobile magazine for September 2004 - of the 05 Ody. Doesn't appear to be much of a threat to the new Sienna, if you ask me. The "spy photos" in the article show what looks to me like a cross between a new Sienna front paired with a 1980s vintage Dodge Caravan rear (I think it ruined the Ody's lines, which I actually liked). The article says this: "New features include 15 more HP for the V-6, available cylinder deactivation for better fuel economy, and a new 5-speed automatic... and the now famous third row bench seat now splits and folds into the floor in two halves, like the Sienna's. DVD is bigger and there are standard side curtain airbags for all three rows..."

Other than the cylinder deactivation and more horsepower, this "new" Ody looks to be a lot like the 2004 Sienna in what it's offering. Frankly I've never seen the rationale behind a minivan horsepower "arms race" and the cylinder deactivation feature would probably be of limited usefulness - kind of like laser speed control.
  • powder73powder73 Member Posts: 15
    I'll finally get my hand on a brand new sienna 04 AWL LE that should arrive on the 10th of august....brand spank new! I nearly had to wait for an 05 cause here in canada AWD model are pretty rare...and no XLW AWD were available!!! So in the end we took the LE and color was not an option!! LOL..

But in the end i can't wait to get my hand on it!!
  • astroguyastroguy Member Posts: 6
    Considering purchasing a 2004 LE. Checked out the vehicle, took a test drive. I would like to double-check that I didn't miss anything with respect to control of both headlights and interior lighting, which is very important to me (due to being into astronomy).

+ There are no daytime running lights in base package; can only get in an option package.

+ Headlights are under full manual control. They do not go on automatically when car is started (in the dark or otherwise), they don't go on automatically while driving due to any car device sensing that it's dark, they don't stay on for any length of time after the car is turned off (i.e., delayed off), and they can be turned on and (especially) off whenever desired, even if the car is running in the dark.

+ Most interior lights can be manually controlled. Three way switch can either turn them on, turn on by a door opening, or be off, even with door open.

+ There are lights on interior bottom of front doors that apparently go on when door is opened and are not controlled by the 3 way switch. I only noticed these two. I think these will be easy with which to deal - can cover them up if need be.

Have I covered all the bases here?

Thanks.

Doug
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I've answered your questions in the Caravan board, and I'll do here, too...

You're right, the daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps (which senses the darkness) is available on higher-end models only (XLE and Limited).

Headlamp off time delay is off by default, but can be changed at the dealer (that's what the manual say).

With the interior lights you're correct I think.
  • astroguyastroguy Member Posts: 6
    Thank you once again, samnoe. You sure do get around. BTW, the GC is now off of my list; the LE is at the top.

Doug
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    I have the daytime running light for my LE.

The headlights are manually turn off, which I find frsutrating if you forget to turn off your lights once in a while.

I can still remember several years agao, I have a low end colt mirage (not sure anymore), and it turns off the headlights if you forget. Well, anyway, that is Toyota... you have to go to the next option to get additional features

Wife is enjoying the vehicle though..
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    IIRC when manual lights when you remove the key and open the drivers side door the lights will go out. this is a very old feature. i had it on my 87 camry!
  • fisfis Member Posts: 18
    I am deciding between the XLE and the XLE Limited. I see that the XLE has 16" wheels. The Limited has 17" wheels. Does the Limited therefore have a larger turning radius?
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if there will be dual power doors and a power liftgate avaiable on the LE for 2005? And maybe possibly leather, too?
    Thanks!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I believe that the turning radius is the same. Also, I read somewhere that the '05 XLE will have 17 inch wheels standard. A short turning radius is certainly one of the outstanding features of the Sienna.
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    On toyota.com, it says that their silver exterior color has an extra charge cost. Does anyone know how much extra it is? Thanks so much.
  • rhopfrhopf Member Posts: 29
    I just got a new Sienna and was wondering what is the best way to break the engine in? We are planning a long trip in a week and was wondering if it would hurt it to take it on the trip or do I need to break the engine in first.
  • weedshastaweedshasta Member Posts: 85
    When I got mine in March, I had a 240 mile drive just to get home. The dealer told me to vary my speed on the highway and not use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Edmunds' long term sienna only gives 14-16 miles to the gallon. Is this common? What happened to the great EPA figures? Could somebody post their miliage please? Thanks
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    It's a mystery how they're getting that kind of mileage, my 99 Trooper obtained 14/16 MPG with 100k miles on it! They must be driving in traffic all of the time with the A/C on. I did a search on Sienna in the "post your Van mileage" thread, here’s the results of real world.

OBTW my LE AWD is getting 19 to 23, 80% hwy.

/WebX?ed_searchResults@@.ee93be2!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3A.ee93be2%20Si- - enna&count=20
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the excellent numbers posted on the "post your milage" board, but wasn't sure which side is the norm. It puzzles me how Edmunds are getting such low numbers even if they sit in traffic all the time with the AC running. BTW, 19-23 with 80% highway driving is not too shabby at all for an AWD model. What's your city milage?
    I don't think I have the data to verify "City" mileage. My daily commute is 70 miles going in about 30 mph stop and go traffic for approximately 15 miles, coming home is a smooth flowing 70 mph. I live in an area of rolling hills with an elevation gain of 1200 ft. So I guess it qualifies as an 80/20 split. So far my worst tank is 18, the best was 24.5 during break-in period. Except for my previous Civics, I’ve always maintained an average of what the sticker has under “City” conditions.
  • gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    I'm on my second tank on my '04 XLE#5, FWD. According to the computer, my first tank was 23.4 (miles/#gallons was slightly higher). I've burned more than half of the second tank, and the computer now shows 24.0 mpg average. Probably only about 1/3 highway. I am careful of my accelerations and don't care if people pass me.
    I just bought a 2004 CE and was wondering if all Sienna's came with a "towing package". Is there anything special I have to get added to the van if I plan on towing a pop-up trailer. I know I need the hitch and that stuff, I have heard you need a cooler of some sort. I thought I read somewhare that Siennas come with this, true?
    Here's a pdf of the brochure which gives the details http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/ebrochure/pdfs/siennafeatur- - escombination.pdf

Check your E-mail for a link with pics on how to install the wiring harness.
    Thanks for the info, my E-mail adress was wrong can you resend it?
  • 12051205 Member Posts: 6
    My 04 Sienna came with Michelin Tires. Recently I ran over road debris and need to replace a tire. I have 18,500 miles on the van. My tire dealer said my tires are already through half of their tread life. Toyota must buy cheap Michelins. My question is this: Has anyone purchased Michelin HydroEdge for their van? I am reading that some people do not like the HydroEdge tire noise but say the ride is great along with other positive comments. Any tire recommendations for the O4 Sienna?
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Are these in production? I cannot seem to find any in Arizona.
  • traillaborertraillaborer Member Posts: 1
    I got the Sienna after looking very carefully at the towing capabilities. One thing Toyota needs to do in this regard is offer some heavy duty shocks. The Toyota hitch scrapes bottom on some pretty shallow driveway entrances when loaded for a family trip alone, much less with a trailer. The parts department recommended I go with some air shocks, but couldn't tell me whether or not that would void part of my warranty.
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    My maintenance required light came on and according to the manual, this means change your oil. Since I just had my oil changed, I called the dealer. He said bring the vehicle back in and they would reset the light. Can this be done easily by myself or do I have to take it to the dealer?
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    Yes, you can do it yourself - the same thing happened to me the first time I had my oil changed in the Sienna. The instructions are buried in the owner's manual. Sorry - I don't have access to the manual right now, but it's there.
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info on resetting the light. After looking for awhile, I found it in the manual. Seems easy enough and I'll give it a shot.
  • weedshastaweedshasta Member Posts: 85
    Could you tell us what page in the manual covers resetting the Maintenance Required light? Thanks.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Should be Pg. 173
  • taishopaultaishopaul Member Posts: 6
    To anyone that is interested about adding TRD running boards after purchase. I just had them added to my awd limited today. the cost of the running boards were 412.00 and another 238.00 to have them installed by a toyota dealer here in the bay area
    Good to hear it worked out for ya. Others are curious if they came with good detailed instructions, for backyard mechanics to attempt?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Can anybody with the 8 passenger Sienna tell me if the 3 center seats can recline independently. I think I remember the outboard seats could, but I can't remember if the middle seat could or not.

Thanks.
  • jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    My wife averages 24 mpg around town on 40-50 mph roads with stoplights. On a recent 4000 mile vacation trip, we averaged over 29 mpg on 65-75 mph interstate driving. The key is to manually drive the car up hills, feathering in the gas to keep the transmission in the 5th gear overdrive. If it kicks down to 4th like it will with cruise control engaged, your mileage will drop slightly. On one stretch, we were getting 30 mpg on the highway with 4 people and all their stuff, nearly a 600 mile range! (Car has 24k total miles and is fully broken in).
  • taishopaultaishopaul Member Posts: 6
    I didn't look at the instruction very well so can't help you there but the mechanic at the toyota dealer took 3 hrs. to install. He mentioned it was quite difficult if you haven't installed one before. Good Luck to all you backyard mechanics.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Hi -

Mywife is expecting twins. When they are due, my current child will have just turned 3. So, does anyone have a similar experience - 1 toddler in a car seat and 2 babies in infant seats? If so, do you recommend the 8 passenger - all three kids in the middle row? Will all three seats fit???

Or, should I look at the 7 passenger - 2 babies in the middle row and toddler in the back??

Thanks - Damon
    Can't tell you if they will fit but can't resist telling you to use the new car money to hire a fulltime mother's helper. Hope you can do both.

Take your car seats to dealer and try them with the various vehicles. Also, you'd best have option to move various kids from second to third row and back for lots of reasons--especially as they get a little older, which will happen quickly. "Mommy he's touching me with his sandwich" and later "Mom she keeps making the loser sign at me."

Then there is the hearing factor, when my daughter was only three I really wouldn't have been able to hear her soft voice in the third row. When son was three I could have heard him in Cleveland.

Good luck!
  • vulawgradvulawgrad Member Posts: 13
    Those of you getting the best mpg on the Sienna, what level of gas are you buying? We've been using midgrade on our '04 Sienna (around 10,500 mileage; bought last November) and i think we're averaging about 22 mpg. Most of our driving is local (stop/go). Is Premium worth it? Is midgrade worth it? THANKS!
  • vulawgradvulawgrad Member Posts: 13
    congrats on twins! I'd put the three year old in the rear. I have 2 boys (4 and 2) and both of them sit now in the 2nd row buckets but they are always trying to get into the third row. If they had car seats back there, they'd love it! Maybe it is the mystique of the unused row. If we have a third kid, the 4yr old will get his wish and will be moved to the back. I think the 7 passenger is better than 8 pass. b/c you get the nice aisle space into the third row and the aisle makes it quite convenient for hauling big packages home from stores without having to take out any 2nd row seat! I carried home a 9x12 rug with kids in the car by folding down part of 3rd row and using the aisles between 1st and 2nd rows!
    With my kids it was the opposite--they all wanted to be in the second row to be closer to me, to be able to see better, to be more comfortable, and...probably just to have something to argue about since there are only two seats in my second row!
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    i had an 8 Passenger chevy venture before the sienna and have learned to hate the 8 passenger . i love the 7 because of the fact that three kids in one row never seems to work out well when they are all a little older. mine are 12,9,and 3 so i have the 12 and 9 switch sitting next to the 3 year old. Who loves his own seat and if he could sit in the back he would. i love the fact there is no folding of a seat to get to the back too it reminded me too much of the suv i had too and that was a horror with three kids Just wanted to share .
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would only consider the 8 passenger. You don't have to use the center seat, so kids can still be seperated, but if you need the seat it is there. You can still carry large items, the seats just fold up against the front seats. I think rear access is easier because it is from the side, you don't have to climb in the car and try to crawl down the aisle.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Glad to read your Sienna is getting much better fuel economy than the Edmund's 2004 Sienna. My 2002 Chrysler T&C is also getting much better fuel economy than Edmunds did with their 2001 Grand Caravan.
          I mentioned Edmunds Long Term Test of the fuel economy of their 2004 Sienna because the same Edmunds drivers got better fuel economy in their 1999 Odyssey and 2001 Grand Caravan than they have been getting with their 2004 Sienna.
          It appears that Edmunds drivers have a "heavier" foot than either your or I when driving.
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    I am planning to purchase a Sienna in the next few months and I have the following questions:

1. Are individual reading lamp(s) available on the 2nd and 3rd row seats?
    2. Do you need to specify 7 or 8 seats at the time of purchase? Do the seat arrangement come with the trim model (ie. 7 for LE, 8 for XLE etc.)?
    3. Please share your experience on cabin quietness comparing to Honda Odysse.

Without going thru all the posts, I'd appreciate if any one can share their comments. Thank you.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Not sure about the reading light issue; I believe that there are seperate lights for both the 2nd and 3rd rows (driver and passenger sides).

The CE and LE trim lines are available in either 7 seat or 8 seat configurations. They are NOT interchangable (ie. the seats from a 7 seater will not fit in a vehicle built for 8 and vice versa. The floor mounts are different). The XLE (and XLE Ltd.) are only available as 7 seaters. Typically in posts, when indentifying a model, LE's (and CE's) will have a number indicating number of seats (ie. LE7 or LE8).

Most people (and road tests) indicate the new Sienna is somewhat quieter than the outgoing Ody. It will vary somewhat depending on type of road surface, what particular brand tire is on the van in question, and what sound frequencies you are sensitive too. Sound levels (dBa) can be measured objectively and compared, providing the testing is done with the same equipment and under the same conditions. Early reports (rumors?) regarding the new Ody is that it will be quieter than the old Ody. How quiet remains to be seen.

Your best bet in evaluating sound quality should come from a test drive.
  • sharondensharonden Member Posts: 7
    I have 3 small children and 2 large dogs. My husband is in the military and we are moving frequently. Do you know if 3 car seats will fit in the 2nd row of seats? I know that the middle seat is supposed to move forward for a child, but there are no specifics on the Toyota website. I want to speak to someone who has actually put 3 car seats in the 2nd row.
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Yes, there are reading lamps but dont leave them on because there is no battery saver feature in the 2004 Sienna. There is supposed to be but it does not apply to the map lights.
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I have a 8 passenger and regularly have 3 car seats in the second row. We don't use the "front and center" position but do use the slides to move the center seat forward. We put the youngest in the center position with her brothers to each side.

The only negative we have with it is if you need to access the rear, you may need to undo the seat to flip it forward. If you slide the seat forward you may have enough room to squeeze bath there. The dogs will likely have no problem.

One really nice feature is that there are 5 LATCH positions in 8 passenger Sienna, 3 in the middle row and 2 in the 3rd row. Using latch means the belts are not in the way and its really easy to reposition the seats and have the seats properly locked down, something that can be difficult with belts.
    The lack of a battery saver feature is a bigger deal than people might think. My kids leave their individual lights on fairly frequently but my current minivan causes them to turn off after awhile.
    So, what happens, do they just burn out quickly or can they actually run down the car's battery? Anybody know if this flaw is fixed in the '05 Sienna?
    I guess I could get into the habit of checking the lights everytime but the kids really aren't in the van more than two or three times a week, so it would harder to establish as a habit than if they were always in it.
    By the way, how do people already know what the options, etc. will be for the 2005 Sienna? Does anyone know when they'll be arriving on the lots?
This discussion has been closed.