Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    3 latch seats in the middle row is very nice to have.
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    Yes it will run the battery down, clearly the most frustrating failing of the 04 SIennas. We don't know if the 05s will have fixed this.

The work around is to use the switch to shut off all lights before leaving the van. Not exacty elegant, but it is for sure and it does work.

The 05s began building today and the first ones will reach paint on Monday night/Tuesday morning. On dealer lots in about 10 days or so. The options will be mixed around a bit with most of the changes in upper model mixs. If you are more interested in the full answer, check for another web site related to the Sienna which does have the complete info available.
  • spookomanspookoman Member Posts: 7
    I don't know if it will be available, but i have a good way for u guys to seriously save some money, my dealership has a third party connection that puts in leather on all seats all around, including in door slots, and it also does fauz wood, do some looking around and u should find a third party, my total came to about 3 grand with leather and wood around. beats spending 8 grand for a xle.
  • georgekaplangeorgekaplan Member Posts: 20
    Unbelievable! I have a daughter who turned three last Saturday and the day before my wife gave birth to twins! Looks like we're in the same boat, er, van.

Our '05 Sienna plan is to put the three year old in the 40% third row with the 60% left down and put the twins in the middle row.

Until we get it, probably end of the month or early Oct, we have to sit and wait. We considered the new Ody but have since learned that the Sienna is our pref.

Good luck on the babes!

George
  • georgekaplangeorgekaplan Member Posts: 20
    kmead. what website?

Goerge
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try a net search for other auto forums.

Steve, Host
    "Our '05 Sienna plan is to put the three year old in the 40% third row with the 60% left down and put the twins in the middle row."

I hope the 3 year old can can buckle herself - long trip to the back for an adult. Have you considered the 8 passenger model?
  • sharondensharonden Member Posts: 7
    I think the owner's manual for the '04 Sienna says NOT to leave one side of the 60/40 seating down if you have a car seat attached to one side. We have a three year old in the back of ours as well. It is very disappointing to lose that much storage space for groceries, stroller...
    Thanks for the feedback on the 3 car seats in the second row. Either in our owner's manual or in the manual for our car seats, I believe it warned against allowing the car seats to push up against anything other than the seat of the car (e.g. another car seat). I assume the concern is that in an accident such as a side-impact, one car seat would smack the other one, potentially causing injury. Are you able to get the 3 car seats in the second row without the car seats touching each other? I really appreciate your time.
  • lena132lena132 Member Posts: 56
    Well my Toyota friends. Toyota has released 2005 Sienna info and prices.

Found at pressroom.toyota.com

Power passenger seat has been confirmed but Siennaclub says that memory seat has been confirmed. Time will tell.
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy a 04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD van. I know these come with Run Flat Tires. I am not comfortable with the RFT's and having no spare at all. Is it possible to mount regular tires (non Run Flats) on the Rims which have the Run Flats or does one have to buy new wheels as well ? Also, is there any aftermarket product to carry a full size regular spare tire on the roof. Would appreciate your response.

Thanks,
    Rahul
  • ckirkckirk Member Posts: 18
    We're at 3700 miles on 2004 Sienna xle awd and getting just over 16 MPG,(highway/city, lots of ac)as we have since we picked it up. Dealer said to expect lower MPG until after break-in period. Have others had such MPG numbers with awd? Is it reasonable to expect MPG to increase? Thanks
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Unlike the '05 Honda Odyssey 'Touring' model, you can mount conventional, non-run-flat tires on your existing Sienna rims. But you will need to buy a spare, unless you want to throw caution to the wind. If you do choose to go this route, I wouldn't replace the RFT's until they wear out.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    good one...lol
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Well I originally ordered a 2004 Strat XLE LTD but have been upgraded to a 2005 XLE LTD for no extra charge. However, the dealer called saying a Blue Mirage, AFP, & Silver Shadow Siennas were coming in next week. I'm not a fan of light colors but I couldn't resist taking the Blue Mirage.....so I did. It's not really a WOW color but it's still blue.

So how do you Blue Mirage Owners describe the Blue Mirage? Are the chrome inserts noticeable?

I can't wait! I will be a official Sienna owner soon (within the next or so week.)

Thanks!
  • weedshastaweedshasta Member Posts: 85
    I have an XLE AWD with just over 3000 miles. I get between 20 and 21 mpg. That is about 90% highway, but it is in the mountains (California I-5 between Redding, CA and Medford, OR.) Mine has stayed pretty consistent. I considered break in the first 1000 miles.
  • spchanspchan Member Posts: 8
    Hi all. We're leaning toward buying a Sienna, but someone told me it uses premium gas. Can anyone verify? What does the manual recommend and what do you normally use?
    Also, if someone could provide similar info about the Quest that'd be great.

thanks in advance.
    spc
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    i have a LTD. i love it.
    i've been using low grade (87 Octane) since I had it. i get close to 26 mpg mix city/highway 20%/80%. Some people want to read the manual as stating categorically that it will not take anything but premium, but i've not subscribed to that thinking. i've had very good results with the cheap stuff. if i think i'll get that much better mpg with the premium (10% better) then i'll start using the more expensive stuff, but until i know for sure, i think it won't be worth it.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Thanks all for your feedback re: a toddler seat and 2 infant seats. Whatever the case, looks like it is going to be a tough decision for me to make - both what minivan to get, and where to keep the kids! But it looks like the Sienna has a great feature with all of the latch supports - now I need to check if all the car seats I have are latch compatable.

Also, I am looking at a 2005 - can someone let me know what model might have 8 passenger seating and power doors and rear hatch? if this is the LE, is there the chance to get leather and/or DVD? My guess is not - that you need to step up to the XLE for those options, but then lose the 8 passenger seating. Can someone educate me???

Thanks - Damon
  • mdeasternshoremdeasternshore Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone bought the bike rack (platform) that's being offered by Toyota for the Sienna? Either from Toyota or in the after-market?

I believe it requires a trailer hitch (or something like it) and looks like a black (plastic?) platform that 2 (or more?) bikes can stand on and be secured to.

If so, what is your experience with it, and advice?

And what was your cost? Thanks.
  • mdeasternshoremdeasternshore Member Posts: 4
    Have you bought / used a cargo storage container on top of your van?

What does it do to your gas mileage?

What's the cost?

Any other advice?
    I have a friend who bought an 8-pass LE with leather. I believe it was after-market leather that was installed by the dealer, but it was really nice. So it can be done.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    The manual says to use premium for "improved performance." I've datalogged ignition timing (the way to measure if premium is needed or not) and there is virtually no difference using premium or regular. Many people (myself included) think the Sienna feels a little more "eager" when you first start accelerating with premium especially at higher speeds, but you can definitely use regular without any problems or big differences in performance/mileage.
    Last year, we drove from Georgia through Kentucky to Kansas and back again and used a soft, bag type container that we got from Wal-mart. It was basically a big weather "resistant" (not proof) bag that you can put a couple suitcases in, zip up and strap down to the luggage rack (the straps come with it). It got our stuff there and back. On a couple legs of the trip, it rained incredibly hard and our luggage got somewhat wet. It affected our gas mileage very little. We were on the highway pretty much the whole time we were using it and I did not notice any real drop in our gas mileage. The only problem was that at least one of the Fastex type buckles kept breaking. Fortunately, Wal-Mart had a pretty forgiving return policy and we ended up returning a couple of them for new ones to get us through the rest of the trip. The advantage to this type of bag is price and home and destination storage. They cost way less than the hard shells you put on top. And when you're at home or you get to your destination, unpack your bags and don't need to use it, you just wad it up and stick it in the corner of your garage or a closet. The big disadvantages are that they are not water proof (consider waterproofing your stuff in lawn type garbage bags before you put them in the bag) and at least with the brand we used, the Fastex buckles kept breaking.
  • chellayhchellayh Member Posts: 5
    We are currently trying to decide between a sienna and a quest ( i currently have a '98 Sienna) I like different things about each - but the one thing that really gets me is the lack of cupholders in the 2nd row!!!!!!! My 6 y.o. cannot reach (or can barely reach) the cupholders on the back of the tray table. So shee will either be spilling a lot or I or her sister(yeah, right) will have to hand her her drink. Has this been a problem for anyone with kids currently driving a '04 sienna?
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    At this time, the 8 passenger setup is available only as CE or LE. So, no power hatch, no power driver's side sliding door, no factory 6CD changer. DVD (RES) is a factory option.

3 car seats should fit in the 2nd row, LATCH or not middle seat's seatbelt is mounted on the seatback. I have two Britax Roundabouts side by side without problems.

I see that the 2005 Odyssey EX/EX-L comes standard with an 8th seat and dual power sliding doors but I don't know if it is recommended or possible to fit 3 car seats across its second row. There are two latch connectors and the center seat has a shoulder belt that reels ouf of the ceiling. You still can't get a power hatch, though.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    My wife and I just returned from a 2300+ mile trip from Northern VA to Cape Cod, the coast of Maine, the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and other spots in New England. The Sienna performed flawlessly - very comfortable ride, great visibility, great handling ... I couldn't be more pleased.

During the trip we averaged 25.9 miles per gallon (calculated) with probably 75% driving at 50 miles an hour or more. Typically, with a mix of local and commuting miles, we get about 20 miles to the gallon.

We both over-packed and had LOTS of room in the van for our stuff.

And finally, the transmission was very smooth - no long lags noticed at any time. I'm glad I pursued this problem with a second dealer (Lustine) to have the software patch installed. On a trip that length, especially going through small towns, the lag would have driven me crazy!

Nice trip, and a great minivan.
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    Now that the 2005's are out, shouldn't the official website (toyota.com/sienna) be updated? Does anyone know when it will be?
  • jsvanguyjsvanguy Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

I am almost ready to buy a Sienna XLE AWD after a test drive this weekend. I am very tall, and head room and legroom was pretty good. It seems that the center console protrudes more than on my T&C, such that there is less room for my right leg to move to right...it seems to rest against the console

I am wondering if others have noted that the center console restricts their right leg movement to the side, and if so, if this has become uncomfortable over time?
    I'm 6'1" and although that's hardly NBA height, my legs are long, and you'd be surprised how much trouble I have finding a comfortable car.

I have no legroom problems with my Sienna, and find it quite comfortable. An added bonus for me was that the XLE AWD does not have a sunroof, so there's plenty of headroom.
    Heywood,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the legroom is very good. Have you ever felt that the center console protrudes out so much that you don't have the ability move your right leg outward to the right for comfort. I need to sit in the Sienna again to test this. As compared to my 2000 T&C, I do think the center console is a bit more restrictive on the right leg movement, but I don't know if this is really a comfort issue over time.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated!
    Well, all I can say is that I've never noticed it being uncomfortable or a problem. Since I've never driven a T&C, I can't compare them.
    Thanks,

I think I have a bit buyers anxiety.
  • wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    I moved the center console to the rear, between the middle seats. I installed the tray in its place instead. Since the tray comes with the van, I want to put it in use. This may well be your solution.
    Wildred, I think by 'center console,' jsvanguy means the front center console under the dash, by your right kneee.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I looked at a 2005 XLE Limited today could not find the memory seat button???
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    We don't have the bike rack, but we do have the platform/hitch setup and use the cargo carrier with it. All told for box, platform and hitch we spent about a grand. Well worth spending in our opinion. My only quibble with it is that in our case we have to remove the cargo-carrier box in order to get at stuff in the rear of the van (trunk area). Supposedly there is a swing-away option for the cargo-tray, but I haven't been able to track it down.
  • kvntrnhkvntrnh Member Posts: 3
    I bought a brand new Sienna 2004 Le 8 Passenger about a month ago. It only has about 900 miles.
    Recently I've experiencing some rattling/squeaky sound coming from the dash board of the vehicle and it ussually happens when i'm driving on a rough road.
    Anybody out there experiencing this kind of problem? it's hard to beleive that a brand new "toyota" would have this rattling/squeaking problem!
    What should i do? How would the dealer fix this kind of problem? please send some advices so i can go from there!!!!!

thank you!
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    is it coming from the dash were your audio are located?
  • kvntrnhkvntrnh Member Posts: 3
    Yes. It can straight from where my audio are located. It's extremely annoying!! and that is not the only place that squeaking. I also hear rattling/squeaking sound coming from the power sliding door on the passenger side when i'm driving on rough road. I'm very dissapointed in my "brand new" sienna. I also have a 2003 highlander which i bought 2 year ago and supprisingly is still very quiet and smooth, no "strange sound" anywhere whatsoever.
    In my opinion, the sienna might have a good engine(same as lexus 330)but its build quality is supprisingly sucks! I have never own a honda, always have been toyota since my first car, thru college and until now. But to tell you the true, sometimes i wish i should have bought a honda odyssey. people that i know who own the odyssey, seem to be very satisfied with the van.
    If the dealer can not fix these squeakng problem, i'll probably trade in my sienna in year or so.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Toyota changed option packages for 2005 models, and most packages on the LE and up will include rear DVD player.

Let me tell you: I hate this! There are so many people that either don't need a DVD player at all, or want to buy their own aftermarket. Why force it on them? especially that it costs so much!!

Same on the XLE. Whichever package you choose, you must get leather. We all know that so many people (me included) just don't like leather!

IMO, these 4 features should always be a stand-alone option on every minivan and on every model:

1) Leather seating; 2) Rear entertainment system; 3) Navigation; 4) Power sliding doors/liftgate.

I think Ford Freestar has one of the best option packages (let alone the van quality - I'm talking option packages now). You can take the Limited (top) model, and you don't have to take the rear DVD; you can 'downgrade' from leather to cloth seating; you can 'downgrade' from a 6-CD changer to a single CD with cassette if you need one, and in the lower SEL model, leather seating, power passenger seat, power sliding doors, are all separate stand alone options - now that's flexible!

Chrysler with the Town & Country is also playing around as well. I tried to configure a 'Touring' trim model, with the 'Luxury' package. I would like to take this package, it includes rear parking assist, upgraded radio, auto dim mirrors in and out, fog lamps, information center, and much more. Now selecting this package brings up a message: In order to select this package, you must first select the 'leather group' for $2,100 !! Isn't it crazy ?? (besides I can't understand why leather is over $2 Grand ??)

Come on! When will the car manufacturers start to realize what people want? Why do they force you on things you don't want?? Don't combine one package with the other, NEVER! Give people many options, and let them choose what they like!

Hello? Someone listening ?????
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    its the plastic that houses the audio. I personally heard this when I was test driving this van (XLE AWD 04) when I was exiting a highway. my salesperson taught I was just investigating that plastic bec. of its quality but I new it would create this kind of noise. its like the plastic creeks like popping when the body sways. they should put something in between this (like a pelt paper w/ a sticky glue on the opposite side).
    Just checked the option packages for the LE, and only 1 of the 4 packages has the DVD and it is the most expensive. Since I want the DVD this raises the price of the Sienna for me by over $2,000. Not good at all.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    It was a rumor but it turns out to be power lumbar support buttons that someone reported seeing on another website.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Where did you checked? At Toyota's website? They are 2004 models.

For 2005, most LE packages (which have the upgraded stereo) include the DVD. That's why I pointed out '2005' model year.

You can check all 2005 options, specifications, etc. here:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2005toyotakit/2005_Sienna_o.- - pdf
  • jhk_dbjhk_db Member Posts: 25
    I am looking to get (hopefully soon) the 2005 XLE Limited AWD. I was wondering if anyone had a favorable experience with a particular sales person or dealership in the northern NJ area. Please let me know. Thanks.
  • conantconant Member Posts: 5
    What a nightmare, my wife and kids are in an accident due to a complete failure of the ABS system on her 04 Sienna. I know that the problem is origionating from the computer system but can not get TOYOTA to look into it. I need anyone that has had a problem with their braking or computer system on thier 04 Sienna to get back to me as soon as they can
  • chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    can anyone tell me if I can use an interior EZ pass with the '04 Sienna. My LE has the fixed mast antenna, but also has this grid thing in the top of the windshield. According to the owners manual if there was a "diversity antenna" it would be in the rear quarter window. So what is this grid up by the rear view mirror? Has anyone used an interior EZ pass on an '04 with success?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me.

Also, I had excellent buying experience with Atlantic Toyota in Amityville, NY (Long Island). Salesman was very knowledgable and upfront. The whole experience was a pleasure. I would recommend the dealership and will give salesmans name to anyone who e mails me.
    Does anybody know about any reported or unreported ABS failures in the 04 Siennas?

My wife had such an occurance.
    We have had an ABS failure while driving our 2004 Sienna. My research leads me to think it was an AWG rythem failure. That is when the computer goes into a state where it does not have the ability to know what you want it to do and it completely shuts down and does nothing. That is what happened to my wife. NO< she knows how to drive....it was not some hard, slam on the brakes kind of stop. When she went to the brakes at 15 MPH, there was nothing there. I need any input that you guys can provide. At this time, TOYOTA is doing nothing to help us. We still had paper plates on the car with 3400 miles.
This discussion has been closed.