Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    should work fine. I doubt have a Sienna, but I have a feeling the grid is probably more like a matrix of black dots in the top center of the windshield, which is designed to block the sun (that is, cover the spot that the visors can't block). But, as always, I may be wrong too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• lovemyaccordslovemyaccords Member Posts: 21
    I was wondering the same thing - you can mount it below that area, or certainly can try (SLOWLY) going through the tollbooth while holding it up behind the black area, but I just keep it in the lower "cupboard" covered with foil and hold it up by hand when I need it - I really didn't want that ugly thing stuck to my windshield - and I don't use it for commuting - only gets use once in a while, so it's no big deal for me to do it "manually" when I need it.

Wendy
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...it was not some hard, slam on the brakes kind of stop. When she went to the brakes at 15 MPH, there was nothing there."

Yikes. First incidence of complete brake failure I've heard of here on this board. Had the brakes been acting peculiar in any way prior to the accident? Is your van equipped with the standard ABS brakes or does it have the traction control/VSC?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If ABS fails the brakes should still work fine, they just might lock up without the ABS.

Was the brake pedal firm, or did it go to the floor?
    Does anybody know why the Sienna dropped its mileage from 27 to 26 hwy for 2005? Did they change the gearing?
  • sljbfamsljbfam Member Posts: 15
    jm38; we also had the same problem with the check engine light went on around 15,000 mile, I checked the gas cap, was ok. Brought to dealer and it was a blown sensor, which they replaced and took all day. Also have had the radiotor replaced, it was leaking they said it was not sealed good. Now the engine like has come back on and off again may have to bring it back, hope this is not a continuing problem that would be strike two what is 3 is the lemon law. Anyone else out there had the egine light problem.
  • conantconant Member Posts: 5
    To be honest with you, I am not exactly sure. The vehicle has been in the possession of the dealer ever since the accident and I have all of the paperwork in the car. We have been totally ignored by the dealer and Toyota. I have found 2 other people since the accident with 04's that have had the same problem. When they went to get the service records of when they took the cars to the dealer, the dealer did not note that the brakes were a concern even though the vehicles were brought in for that very purpose.
    Any suggestions where I might go for expert help?
  • conantconant Member Posts: 5
    AWG rythem failure exists when the computer that controls the system does not know what it is supposed to do and it does nothing.
    If the ABS does nothing that just means you don't have ABS - you still have your brakes though.

I can't imagine they didn't make the system failsafe.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If the wrong ABS check valve happens to fail, however unlikely, you will have no braking whatsoever.
    "If the wrong ABS check valve happens to fail, however unlikely, you will have no braking whatsoever."

Even on a multi-channel system?
  • knitgirlknitgirl Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Sienna with only one power sliding door. It is the manual sliding that has me worried. When the window of the manual sliding door (the door on the driver's side) is opened more than about 4 inches, the sliding door will not engage when opened. It will keep sliding closed, posing a hazard for anyone getting in or out of the car when the window of the driver's side sliding door is opened. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just my car? I took the car back to the dealer, and the dealer said all the manual sliding doors have this "safety feature". I'm sorry, but this seems more like a safety hazard to me, and I'm wondering if this is something that Toyota may have to fix after-market.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    its a safety mechanism. the idea being a head can be hurt if the door is opened while a child is leaning out. It should engage with the window fully closed though.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Hello Everyone, welcome back! a lot to read and catch-up on... Here's my story...

I recently came back from a road trip to Hull, Quebec, Canada. My 2004 Sienna performed flawlessly. I can't explain perfectly in words how satisfied with my decision to get this van. Unfortunately, while parked at the Holiday Inn de Chatiere in Hull, Quebec, My wiper blades were stolen from my van in the Hotel's garage. Apparently, from what I've learned, parts for this van are very low and people are stealing parts right off the street. That was not even the discouraging part to this story. I chalked this up as a loss and proceeded to the local Toyota dealer which I found across the river in Ottawa. The parts department worker after hearing my story told me that the blades for my van were on back-order in his as well as two other Toyota dealers that he called in his area, and that it would take as long as three months. Would you think a little "black-market" parts are showing up anywhere in that area? I then went to Canada Tire to purchase "Rain-X" so as to not damage my windshield with a "non-approved Sienna" wiper blades. I needed the assurance of something for my eventual trip back home. Fortunately for me my trip back was rain-free, and uneventful. After getting back and telling my story to my local Toyota dealer, He told me he had never heard of such a thing, and advised me to write my story to you. Thanks for any feedback you may want to send my way.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Entire wiper arms on some cars are amazing easy to steal - on my van you just pop a little clip off with a penknife blade and you can walk off with the entire arm, wiper blade and all. I'm surprised yahoos aren't taking them and tossing them into the trash just for meanness. At least in your case they just stole the blades, and I wouldn't worry about putting Atco or other non-OEM blades on.

Something tells me you'll be able to find replacements easily on eBay soon :-(

Steve, Host
  • baileybradbaileybrad Member Posts: 33
    What model of Sienna has a passenger power seat?
    Thanks for any info.
  • majordadmajordad Member Posts: 43
    I'm test driving an XLE AWD overnight and for some reason this model seems more clunky than the FWD. Actually, the van seems to drag when I release my foot from the accelarator. Has anyone else experienced this problem. This may just be related to the AWD, especially since the system is always engaged. But it definitely feels sluggish. Additionally, is wind noise excessive at highway speeds with the Sienna. Noticed a high amount and I normally drive a 99 Dodge Caravan ES. Its peppy but no race car, however, the Sienna was quieter at slow speeds but had noticeable noise cruising at highway speeds.
  • knitgirlknitgirl Member Posts: 2
    But the door can still be opened, so it doesn't provide any safety to the child with his/her head out the window. The door just won't stay open, so the door goes back and forth, flopping around the hypothetical child with head out the window. Sounds pretty dangerous to me. But does this happen on your Sienna, too, or is it just mine?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    because the door can't be opened all the way with the window down, it won't get to the latch open point. Not a problem with the power doors, but a design flaw really with the manual ones.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Power passenger seat is standard in XLE and XLE Ltd. I know the driver's seat is an 8-way adjustable power seat. The Toyota web-site simply says "front passenger power multi-adjustable seat" so I don't know how much adjustability the passenger seat has.
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    The 2004 Toyota Sienna has 5 times as many serious complaints per vehicle sold as the Honda Odyssey. Why? (As Dirty Harry said "do you feel lucky today?")

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsear- ch.cfm
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    Wait till you see the new Ody's tally at the end of the year. It's called new model first year bugs! New Ody is already racking up serious complaints as well. (after 3 weeks)
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    any suggestions, sams has a bulldog for 47$ does toyota have one, i've got ltd,

also, when i use auto climate control the ac lite is on, is the ac always on, and if i take if off will i fog up suggestions
  • lapnorm1lapnorm1 Member Posts: 16
    A friend of mine has a 2004 Sienna and uses the 91 octane gas because that is what you are supposed to use for the Sienna's engine according to him. I am looking at a 2005 Sienna but haven't been able to verify that. Is he right?
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Toyota calls for premium fuel but the dealer said you can use regular. I'm not sure that's a good idea. If honda can make 255hp on regular why can't Toyota?
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    It's all I use. 91 High Octane is not required! So say's my manual.
  • hpanhpan Member Posts: 61
    The owner's manual (2005) recommends premium unleaded but says regular unleaded is OK with reduced performance.
  • lapnorm1lapnorm1 Member Posts: 16
    Appreciate the information on the gas.
  • djohnso1djohnso1 Member Posts: 4
    I was told by a salesman that the XLE Limited AWD with Nav actually has a 6 CD changer instead of the single CD that comes with the XLE Limited with Nav (without AWD). Of course, they didn't have one in stock. Could someone who owns (or has seen) the XLE Limited AWD with Nav answer this for me?
    Thank you.
    That salesman is an idiot.

What could possibly be different about an AWD setup which would allow a CD changer w/ NAV? If Toyota HAD a CD changer w/ NAV, why wouldn't they put it in the Sienna to compete with the Ody setup? Why would they reserve it only for the AWD model? Wouldn't a CD changer be listed in the brochure?

Some salesmen will say ANYTHING to make a sale.
    You can run regular just fine in the Sienna. If I were towing a small camper or a couple of jetskis, and needed EVERY ONE of those advertized 230hp, then I would probably 'splurge' and put in a tank of premium. If you do a comparison between the Ody and Sienna here on Edmunds, you will see that Edmunds indicates that both the Ody and the Sienna 'require' regular, not premium, unleaded.

Why can't Toyota make 255hp on regular like the Ody? Well, first, the Honda has a bigger motor (3.5l vs. 3.3l). Second, the Ody makes it's peak power and torque at higher rpm's than the Sienna. Higher rpm = higher hp.

And finally, don't believe everything you read. It is not unheard of for manufacturers to 'fudge' their hp ratings (both up and down) for a variety of reasons. If you are after bragging rights and into bench racing, then by all means the Ody certainly looks better on paper. But one thing the manufacturers CAN'T fudge (as easily) is curb weight. Comparably equipped, the Sienna typically runs around 400 lbs. lighter than the Ody. Even if both engines ratings were perfectly accurate, the actual hp/weight ratings would be essentially dead even.

Bottom line, both the Honda and Toyota run perfectly well on regular. Both the Honda and Toyota will perform essentially the same in most performance tests (to the point where seat-of-the-pants impressions would not be able to detect a difference). Where there IS a difference in felt performance, it might be due to the Toyota transmission acting a bit 'lazier' to throttle imputs than the Honda.
  • matmechmatmech Member Posts: 12
    There is a technical reason why Toyota specifies 91 octane gasoline. The Toyota engine has a higher compression ratio 10.8:1 vs 10.0:1 for Honda. Any advice given for using regular gasoline is just not safe or correct. Regular gas will cause problems under certain conditions(hard acceleration, towing, carrying heavy loads, going up long hills). Preignition (knocking) can cause severe engine damage. Does that mean if you put regular in the tank the car is ruined? No. It will probably be fine for 99% of the driving you do, but why chance it? To save $2 per fill up?

Honda makes more power because of larger displacement, better intake and exhaust system. Quoting peak Hp and torque is not correct. You need to analyze the HP and torque curves. When one does this, they will be surprise to see that the two engines are quite close, but the Honda will continue making more torque and Hp at higher RPM.
  • zalzal Member Posts: 3
    Wondering if anyone has had this problem.

I noticed an unusual smell in the van last week. Not unexpected, I guess, with kids. But after it continued, I started to investigate. I figured our oldest had probably left a half eaten apple core in one of the hundreds of storage compartments.

Turns out, I found that the insulation under the carpet in the back storage area (you know where your back seats fold into) was wet. My first thought was that some water spilled after going shopping or something along those lines. But after confirming with the wife that no water bottles had mysteriously come back half empty, I started wondering. This past week, my wife looked again after driving in a rain storm. Now there was a puddle in the back well.

Anyone else have this or have any ideas? There seems to be a round black plastic plug that seems to easily come out and basically opens to the ground (a drain for real spills??). I'm wondering if that's the problem and this really should be sealed better. I don't see any other stigmata of leaks within the van proper. But I am looking for suggestions before taking the van in for service.

Thanks
  • zalzal Member Posts: 3
    Our windshield mounted EZPass works fine.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    Toyota doesn't specify 91 octane for the Sienna. The owner's manual says you can use 91 octane for "improved performance." There's no risk to using 87 octane.
    "Regular gas will cause problems under certain conditions(hard acceleration, towing, carrying heavy loads, going up long hills). Preignition (knocking) can cause severe engine damage.

Which is why the Sienna will retard the timing a bit when running 87 rather than 91 octane. The result being very slight loss of power under full throttle conditions yet will prevent knocking under engine load. Which is why I said that if I were towing something, I would probably go ahead and use Premium to ensure that I was getting all 230 hp; otherwise, using regular is fine. Which is why the Toyota Manual specifically states that 91 octane is 'recommended' for improved performance, and NOT required.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Been thinking..............AGAIN!

My 01 AWD RX300's transmission fluid has a burned look and odor at just 38k miles. This on a vehicle that has no tow hitch but with the tow package (extra transmission fluid cooler in front of right front wheelwell) and no designated fluid/replenish maintainance schedule.

I have sent at least three missives to customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com and what I get back each time is that I should check with the dealer about why my RX has burned fluid. Apparently something they do not wish to put in writing.

Up until just this week I have been assuming that the designers underestimated the heating contributed by the VC.

But then I keep hearing/reading about these hesitation problems and that got me to thinking on another thread.

I am absolutely sure that my 01's transmission shifts into another gear, or maybe even neutral, during coastdown.

Some have described it as a "slingshot" effect or as if being bumped from behind just before coming to a full stop. I have attributed this effect to a desire to increase fuel economy and/or reduce the instances of loss of control on a slippery surface as the result of engine braking to the front, drive, wheels.

But suppose for a moment that I'm correct and the vehicle is being shifted into neutral in these instances.

My 01 DOES NOT have an e-throttle so the instant I depress the footfeed the engine will react and apply high output......while the transmission is still in neutral or an inappropreately higher gear??

Now THAT would result in premature BURNING of the transmission fluid!

But now with e-throttle the later models might have a firmware fix that delays the onset of engine torque until the transmission can be shifted into the correct gear and allow time for the clutches or bands to be full seated before excessive torque is applied.

Obviously just guessing, but....
  • matmechmatmech Member Posts: 12
    Yeah, retard the timing and lose Hp, efficiency and basically waste gasoline. What an option, buy the cheaper gas and just more of it. For your information retarding is just a bandaid fix. Not a solution. There is a point where retarding won't work and knocking (or the technical term detonation)will occur. Where does it say that Toyota will actually retard timing based on fuel? What it probably has is a knock sensor that will retard timing once it is occurring. Sort of like taking a mallet and beating your engine and stopping when it screams.

Don't you hate it when engineers make a quick fix just to appease the finance guy?

Penny wise dollar foolish.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Does anyone know what is the actual capacity of the Fuel Tank, one source 1 saw was USA 2005 Brochure, which is 20 gal, and i saw was from the Canadian 2005 Specification, which is 79L (20.9 gal), so 20 gal or 20.0 gal?
    i mean 20.9 gal or 20.0 gal?
  • joesixpackjoesixpack Member Posts: 3
    I'm pretty sure it's 20 gallons. I think Toyota missed the boat on this one. That extra .0 gallon would give you that extra peace of mind on long trips.

(sorry)

J6P
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I think it is more than 20.0. The 20.0 is just approx. not 100% accurate. One of the owners stated above that he filled up his tank with more than 20 gallon. Just search for 'fuel tank' and see for yourself.

I drive in my business a Chrysler T&C, which also claims to have 20.0 gallon tank, but one time I filled it up (it was really empty) and it was 21.0 gallon.

Missed the boat with 20.0 gallon? If it has great mileage you don't need much more. I agree bigger is better, but 'missed the boat' is not the right word... and if Toyota missed it, Honda missed it too with the Ody, which also have just 20.0 gallon.
    Although .9gal doesnt sound a lot, only 4.5%, but for instant for every 20th time you go to a gas station, you save about 1 time of going there compare to a 20 gal fuel tank, what you save is not only gas, time, money, etc
    http://www.carsdirect.com/research/new_cars/buying_guides/vans/mi- nivans/rankings#acceleration

for Sienna only 7.4 sec? Ody and Quest only need 7.1????? has anyone push any near this?
    sorry about that! did 2 refresh after the page before it finished loaded, but typing nothing! Please fix this bug! THX
    The refresh bug has been around for years now - the fix is to hit Recent Messages or go elsewhere and come back to this discussion.

Best I can do :-)

Steve, Host
  • ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    The 05 Odyssey actually has a 21 gal tank. The previous model did have a 20 gal.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "Best I can do :-)"

No, you can do better. If you see a double - or triple - post, just delete it!
    Yeah, the hosts do that too. Part of the housekeeping service :-)

Back to the Sienna?

Steve, Host
  • notveryhappy1notveryhappy1 Member Posts: 2
    Buyer Beware!!! Check my messages before you consider buying a Toyota Sienna AWD with run flat tires (the only way the vehicle comes). Many owners and I have had horrendous experiences with these tires, and even worse experience with Toyota Customer Service. It has turned me from a loyal Toyota (and Scion) customer to someone who will never purchase their products again!
This discussion has been closed.