Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    >when do you think toyota/ sienna have diesel??

when they change the Federal and CA emissions laws (need to reduce nitrogen oxides and particulates levels) so all those Euro engines with common rail injection can be sold here without significant changes and when the oil companies start selling low sulfur diesel (thats supposed to be in the next year or so)
    VW will not sell 07 diesels as they are waiting for new engines for the US market for the 08s which is why they are selling the 06s like hotcakes with a huge markup! MB can afford to sell their cars and make customers pay a significant premium for the changes needed to get Federal compliance. All other OEMs are out of luck at this point. Quite honestly , till they tax cars by CO2 emissions like some EU nations or have $6 a gallon gas, diesel will not make it big over on this side of Atlantic.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Are you taking the other factors into account? :confuse: Diesels are more money. More insulation has to be used and better vibrating control but it will still be a bit loud. Cold startups.

So more money, and cold weather starting.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    so do I really have to remove this thing before I go through a carwash?? I noticed on my new Sienna its quite easy to unscrew and in fact its difficult to really finger tighten it, the manual says to remove it before going through an automatic carwash but every other car I have had with a mast antenna (except for the powered ones or the solid roof eg Honda types) have not needed to be removed.
    I'm worried the better half won't be as OCD as I am about checking it before going through a car wash, are we stuck with going through brushless washes if we don't remove it??
    Has anyone found a good shorter mast which does not need to be removed for a replacement, like a Bosch??
    Yes, you should remove it. It's not a big deal - just take it out, then tighten it back in. If you don't take it out, that's your own risk.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    2004 xle ltd and tomorrow i go in for the 4th time for my electric liftgate not going up, not going down, premature triggering of the down ( got smashed reaching in) anyone else with this problem or is it my dealer. can you ask for a toyota rep to review????
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I've heard no details on the 2007 from SiennaClub except for the 3.5L, delivery starting in December/January, and new 17 inch wheels.

Nothing in the way of option package reshuffling...
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I am trying to figure out what minivan to buy, at the moment I have a large SUV that I want desperatly wnat to get out of. I have driven a lot of vans and have narrowed it down to Sienna and Odyessy. The problem is that the Sienna has very short seats in front and they do not come out very far under my thigh. I am I guess I tall woman (5'8") with long legs so this feeling like my legs are just "hanging" there bugs me. I also have lower back trouble but for the lower back itself there is a little more support in Sienna but I think for long drives with the seats not coming out will bother my back. I am wanting to know from people who have expereinced both vans with comfort and what they think. Thx.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Go to ebay and buy whichever/whatever seats make you the most comfortable and have them custom installed. I bought a set of 97 ES300 front seats, heated, memory, etc, to put in our MH.

The new Sienna is likely to have the DFI V6 come fall.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    it's the best Iv'e tried them all has the best middle and rear seats . we use it for trips with my older inlaws--when i went to buy it they went with me and they chose it's seats. also quiet so you can hear each other. nothing beats this for van comfort typical toyota. :) also the front seats are VERY comfortable. i wish they had mem seats
    mine 2004 xle ltd white no dvd or nav--tooooo much you can get a 7"dvd port at walmart for $79
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I don't think it matters what anybody else thinks because it is still you who will have backache (or whatever) if the seats don't work for you. So asking other people what they think may be interesting but it won't get you any further forward. You clearly are not comfortable with the seats or you would have bought a Sienna 15 months ago. I think it's time you moved on, dismiss the Sienna from your list and choose something else. Smile
    Yes, the Sienna's seats are terrible - that's what I think. They are narrow and the second and third row seats are low.
    The Odyssey's seats are wide, at a proper height, and are comfortable.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Well, allison5, there you go... Everybody's rear is different.

I disagree completely with master1 and feel the Sienna is more comfortable than the Ody.

Now, do you have a butt that looks like mine or one that looks more like master1's? I't's your butt... buy the van that fits it best.

As a point of reference for how "BAD" really feels, ride in the back of a Freestar!
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Now, do you have a butt that looks like mine or one that looks more like master1's? I't's your butt... buy the van that fits it best.

Beautiful post!!! :D

Just to add, my wife and I find the Sienna's seats to be quite comfortable. I experience no lower-back pain. I do sometimes have knee pain, but I thik that's more-related to my tennis-playing than Sienna-driving.
  • cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    Do you know if the seats have changed at all since '04? I'm convinced the Odyssey seats are more comfortable, but my wife feels the Sienna ones are better. Since I drive a Pilot, I already lose. However, I just sat in an '04 Sienna and could only get comfortable in the driver's seat. The second and third rows were uncomfortable for me because I felt they had less thigh support (I'm just 5'9" - don't know if that makes a difference). If the '06 seats are like the '04 ones, I see the difference. However, I think it could be more related to the floor height than the seats. Hondas actually sit on a slightly elevated floor in the second row, so the feet can hang down more. Again, it is really personal opinion - I just wish my wife and I shared that opinion!
    Yup. I like the Sienna LE's 6-way manual seat a lot. It didn't take me long to find the most comfortable position and it offers me a lot of support.

I had a skydiving slip-up years ago that left me with some back problems. This is the best car seat I've been in since.

Nothing against the Ody other than my historical dislike for anything Honda.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Hans, haven't seen many posts from you lately. How's your Sienna doing? Must be coming up to around 6 months of ownership for you.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ena27909ena27909 Member Posts: 2
    My tail lights don't come on when lights are turned on but brake lights work fine, does anyone know which fuse controls them, also rear a/c cuts on and off by itself when rear on is in the on position. please help thank you
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I own a Sienna, but will concede that the two rear rows of seats (not the front) are slightly more comfortable (because they are roomier) in the Ody. That is one of the few advantages though, in my opinion, and the kids sit back there most of the time anyway - they would be happy sitting on a board if the DVD was playing.

BTW love the gas mileage so far (at 16,000 miles so far on a 2006). Just got 24.8 on a long trip going 80 mph with the A/C on. Get over 30 if I keep the speed to 65. I do run synthetic oil and 39 psi tire pressure which helps a fair amount. My old 4 cyl Odyssey would only get about 21.5 mpg under the same conditions.

Also very smooth, comfortable, quiet ride. Very nimble around town. Turning radius is amazing (same as my Integra). The Ody seems clumsy in tight spaces.
    Right on! We just took ours on our first tailgater for the 4th. It was about an hour drive loaded with four adults and the rear full of tailgate stuff. Smooth, quiet, comfy, roomy. I love it. Haven't checked mileage yet.
  • whodewhode Member Posts: 15
    I'm interested in the LE with Pkg#3. Originally I was just looking at the 7 passenger version, but the dealership I'm looking at doesn't have the 7 passenger in stock in the color I want. They can get it, but charge a little bit more. Since they have an 8 passenger in stock in the same color, they actually charge a little bit less for the 8 passenger (about $70 less). If that's the case, is there any reason not to go with the 8 passenger version? It sounds like basically getting the extra seat for less than free.

Are there disadvantages to going with the 8 passenger version? I'd probably leave the middle 2nd row seat at home and use it only if I really needed to carry 8. Might be nice to have the option though since we have 2 kids and 1 more on the way.
    The 8 passenger has smaller middle row seats than the 7 passenger, and they don't have the built in armrests either. You sacrafice a little comfort when in 7 passenger mode for the option of having 8 passengers.

Try the seats yourself to see it it matters.
    My opinion only, but the 8 sucks. If you don't need 8, don't let the dealer unload his sucky 8 on you.
    What's wrong with the 8 Passenger model? I don't really see a problem unless you really want armrests on your seats in the second row.

If you can take having less comfortable and narrower second row seats, then the 8 Passenger model would be perfectly fine for most of us.
  • pappy55pappy55 Member Posts: 41
    With 3 kids, you should definitely consider the LE-8. Having 3 seats in the middle row was the major dealbreaker for us in choosing the Toyota. I've travelled in the middle seats a few times and they aren't that bad. We can carry 5 passengers and boatloads of cargo (a requirement for holiday trips home). If we need to seat 7 (or 4) the middle seatback folds down and makes a nice armrest/table for the middle row. We leave it in place all the time.

To each his/her own, but we wouldn't ever consider a 7-passenger van after owning the LE-8

Mark
    2005 Sienna LE-8
    So there you go, whode. Both sides have voted. Mark loves the 8 and is King of the "wouldn't ever consider a 7..." Club. I feel as strongly for the 7 and against the 8.

I was perhaps a little brief when my guidance against the 8 was summed up as, "it sucks". As Mark and others have better highlighted, it ALL depends on your needs.

Mark has 3 kids. Lets' say they are all under 11. That means: 1) They are small and fit in the 8's middle seats better. 2) If they each bring a friend, that's 8 (including Mark and Mrs. Mark). 3) They don't drive, so Mark is in the front seats during the LONG trips - he doesn't spend 6 to 10 hours in those middle seats. 4) Mark probably has one very young child that they need to be able to reach from the front seats. He needs an 8.

I have two teenagers, so: 1) They are large. 2) One friend for each = 6 (including me and Mrs. beernut). 3) They do drive, so I can sit in the middle seats for LONG stretches of road. 4) When I'm driving, the further away from me that my passengers are, the better. I need a 7.

Gadzooks! You may have choose what fits you best!
    Thanks for your replies. Sounds like with 3 young kids, an 8 passenger would be a good fit. I realize it depends on your own situation.

I guess what I was looking for was whether there were big drawbacks to the middle row having 3 seats instead of 2, other than the obvious one of lack of armrests. From a quick look at the 7 and 8 passenger versions, it doesn't look like the outer middle row seats are any different otherwise. They appear to be about the same size. Also, the middle seat felt usable for a while (especially compared to the middle seat in the Odyssey). I agree with beernut that I wouldn't want to sit there on a long trip.

I wasn't sure if there were other things I might have overlooked like how car seats would fit (I've read that three could fit across the middle row) or how access to the third row would be impacted (if you used all three middle seats with car seats, how would you get to the back?).
    The outer middle row seats are definately smaller on the 8 passenger. I have 3 kids, and while I loved the three person bench of my first gen Ody, I thought the three small buckets seemed less comfortable for me. Besides the Sienna has so much cargo room we keep up the third row seat oven on the longest trips.

There have been times when I have wanted the 8 passenger though - airport trips etc, but that never ends becaus sometimes you need to take 9 or 10 people. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I do prefer the new Ody 8 pasenger configuration. The 8th seat is like a spare that can be totally hidden, and it does not take any comfort away from the two bucket seats. It is a little less comfortable for long trips, but usually we have the most passengers for shorter trips. Long vacations are just family.
    just a couple of comments on this post from the owner of a 2004 7-seater with 2 small kids who have large carseats.

I can't imagine fitting 3 full carseats across 1 row. DId you know the rear row doesn't even have latch across all three seats? Does the middle row have latches all across in an 8-seater? Keep in mind you need 3 latch-sets - you're not supposed to use the inside latches of the left and right to use as a middle set. Now if 2 of the kids are in boosters, that might work.

As for rear-row access, here's a trick my wife and I have had to use on occasion when the kids were asleep in their carseats and we didn't want to wake them: first, fold the smaller portion fo the rear bench into the floor; then to get in the car, 1st step into the well behind the portion of the back seat that is flipped up, and from there you can step into the car and have the driver re-open the smaller portion of the back-seat, if needed.
    We ended up getting the 8 passenger yesterday, thanks for all your advice.

To me, it looked like the outside 2nd row seats were either the same or only slightly narrower than in the 7 passenger. I really couldn't see the difference in size when I compared them back to back. The main difference was the armrests, but since we have kids in car seats, I figured that wouldn't be as big of a problem. As they get older, the middle seat in the middle row folds down and functions as an armrest and tray.

I think with the front and center seating (the feature that allows you to move the middle seat in the 2nd row forward a foot or so), there is room to fit three car seats across in the middle row, since they will be staggered. Also, there's at least a tether anchor in that middle seat, and I think latch attachments, too.

I'm thinking our baby (due in September) will go on the middle seat 2nd row, our 2 year old will go in one of the other seats in the 2nd row; and our 5 year old (who can buckle herself in) will go in the back row or the 2nd row depending on what we're carrying (e.g. other passengers or cargo).

Initially at least, I'm glad we got the 8 passenger, even though up until the last minute, I had only been considering the 7 passenger.

Does anyone know if it's supposed to be safe to drive with a middle row seat in the "tumble forward" position or is that only supposed to be used for getting in and out of the back row?
    There is a tether to hold the seat tumbled forward. It is safe.
    Congratulations and good luck with your new van. I hope you love it as much as I do mine.
    I'm not exactly against the 8 passenger model, but the 7 fits my family just fine as its me, Mrs. jchan2, and 2 teenagers (neither of whom drive) most of the time.
  • bonuschild3bonuschild3 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY installed all 3 car seats in the middle row? Would anyone recommend/not recommend this? I'm a newbie conidering a 7 vs 8 passenger Sienna... Thanks!
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    I'm an 8-seater owner, and while I've installed 3 car seats in the middle row @ the same time, the obvious problem with doing that is that you can't tumble the seat to let someone into the back row...typically when I'm transporting 3 in car seats I'll use the middle row if it's just me & one other adult in the front, otherwise I'll set one or two in the rear (since thats all you can fit back there using latch...)....
  • bonuschild3bonuschild3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks cobbo. That helps!
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Checking both options, me and wife choose the 8 pass. The middle 2nd. row seat is confortable enough for an adult. But rear vision suffers a lot, especially when you have a child seat on the middle seat. When my wife went to take the driving exam, we removed the seat son she wouldn`t have any problems. Then, we decided not to put on again. The lateral middle seats are confortable enough, even if they`re not "captain chairs". Then, there were the holes of the middle seat on the floor. We bring a mat that we have on home to block the holes of that seat, but then wife decided to put the seat on again, so everything went back as original.
    My opinion is that is better to have 8 seats, you don't give anything in comfort, get a lot more utility and versatility, but have to consider checking a bit more on the side mirror than on the normal front mirror.
  • wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone read when the 2007 Siennas will be available ?
  • msm20032003msm20032003 Member Posts: 7
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
    According to this Orders will be accepted starting in September and Production will start in November and They will be delivered in January, but I would guess the delivery date would depend on where you live.
    http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?makeid=47&revid=50033&modelid=436&acode=- &crpPage=summary.jsp&mode=&year=2007&myid=&revlogtype=21&section=reviews&mode=&a- ff=national
    This link confirms the 3.5 for the Sienna.
  • jeeplibdriverjeeplibdriver Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4-year old a 2-year old and a new born.
    I plan to seat the new born in the middle of the second row and the 2 others in the third row all with child car seats.
    But eventually I plan to use the 3 second row seats only to seat all 5 of us, including mom.
    My only problem is that the 8 passenger does not come in leather trim.
    Isn't leather a lot more easier to clean up?
    Please, any advise on keeping the interior clean will help.
    I haven't had cloth with kids, but my experience is that leather, in general, cleans better.

FYI - With your intention of putting two carseats in the rear, my understanding sit hat the rear drivers-side seet does not have latch. At least that's the way it is in my 2004.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    The above link states the 3.5L engine, but also states that 5-speed transmission is standard. Is it true or just a mistake? I know that all Toyota vehicles outfitted with the 3.5L has the 6-speed tranny?
  • msm20032003msm20032003 Member Posts: 7
    No, the Avalon also has the 3.5 with a 5 speed making the Camry the only one with the Six speed.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Does anyone know if Toyota has addressed the "unacceptable" rating on its 2007 Sienna head restraints that made the news earlier this year? Also, any other safety changes to the 2007 Sienna?

Phil
  • tonyclintonyclin Member Posts: 13
    Can some one please advise if the XLE model and LE model have any difference in handling, noise level, reliability and safety? Thanks in advance.
    Should not be much (if any) difference.
  • mgoldsteinmgoldstein Member Posts: 58
    :confuse: :confuse:
    Does anyone have any advice on the Sienna FWD in the snow/ice? We live in southeastern PA and do get some aggressive winters. We were all set to get an LE FWD until our neighbors complained about their XLE FWD and traded it in for an XLE AWD. So now my wife wants the AWD. Most of the vans I see up here are FWD, so I assume people are doing okay. But I was looking for some more advice. Is there a noticeable difference between the FWD and AWD (other than gas mileage) in snow/ice?

Thanks.

Mark G
    mlgss

:confuse: :confuse:
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I live in Northern Virginia and I’m looking for a FWD XLE with option package 8 (HU). I am having hard time finding one equipped this way, because apparently they are not ordered this way in the Midatlantic region.

One of the features I am interested in are the memory seats and power folding side mirrors. Toyota online brochure says that these features are available with option package 8. However, one of the sales people I spoke to tells me that he is willing to order an XLE package 8 for me, but memory seats and power folding mirrors are not available on any XLEs and I should buy an LTD AWD. Needless to say, I don’t believe this guy.

My question is, has anybody purchased an 06 XLE package 8 in the Midatlantic and does it have those features?
  • stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    I haven't tried the Sienna AWD, but I have had several AWD cars and 4WD suvs. I would rather drive a front wheel drive car or van with good studless snow tires, than any AWD car with all seasons. The snows help in turning and not getting stuck, but most of all in stopping on ice or compacted snow. I put studless snows on my AWD Element and on my FWD Sienna. The Element may be a little better when both have the snows, but the Sienna with snows is better than the Element with all season tires.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    As of the introduction of the RX350 Toyota sems to have gone back to using the VC (it was dropped for the entire RX330 production run)to apportion engine torque to the rear upon slippage at the front.

If the Sienna uses the VC to facilitate AWD functionality then the AWD model is viable enough over FWD to justify its purchase. Otherwise a FWD w/VSC/Trac/BA/etc. Sienna will likely offer you as much safety and reliability in adverse roadbed conditions as would an AWD.

But for true, certain, sure, safety and reliable mobility in adverse roadbed conditions I would recommend a RWD based AWD with manual transmission such as the BMW X3.
    I have 4 snows on my Sienna and it is amazing in the snow and ice up in South Dakota. I would take it any day in any winter condition over an AWD Sienna with all weather tires.

Rember that 2 times some traction is a lot better than 4 times no traction. Also braking is more important than accelerating in bad weather (it keeps you from hitting that tree or going through that intersection) and AWD does not help braking, but snow tires sure do.
This discussion has been closed.